PDA

View Full Version : bmarsh comments

titan
08-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Some interesting comments from Brandon Marshall from SI's Peter King's Monday Morning QB column:

On the first pass play of Dolphins training camp Friday, Brandon Marshall had run one of the common routes in the Miami playbook, a slant and go. Some teams call it "sluggo.'' Whatever, the Dolphins called it a touchdown, because Chad Henne threw it long downfield, perfectly, for a score. "I got chills,'' said quarterbacks coach David Lee. "I don't know how it's possible to get chills in 95-degree weather with 90-percent humidity, but I did. What a beautiful thing that was to see.''

I remember going to Denver last summer and interviewing Marshall, who I've known for three or four years. Every answer was forced, clipped. He was ticked at the world then, a combination of being labeled a malingerer and feeling like he was lied to about getting a new contract. In the players' cafeteria Sunday, he grinned like a madman ... even when I asked him what he would have done differently in Denver before finally getting his wish via a pre-draft trade and new contract in Miami last April.

He paused, and I said: "Would you have punted the ball in practice that day?'' You remember the infamous tape, when he was a disruptive force in practice.

"I wouldn't have punted the football,'' he said. "There were a few things last year I didn't handle well. But what I've learned is that sometimes the more powerful lessons are the most painful lessons.''

Marshall doesn't want to return to the nightmare that was last year. He's married now -- to a different woman than the one he says caused "90 to 95 percent'' of his problems in the past. But he realizes talk is cheap, and no matter what he says now about being a different person in a different place, he's got to show it, day after day, week after week.

He has a five-year, $47-million contract extension, and he's on a team that he thinks is more suited to his physical style. "I've always had the attitude that I'm going to impose my will on the defense,'' he said. "So I fit in well with the philosophy of this team. Everyone in the building, everyone in the organization, has a toughness here. I like that. It's all football. We don't play games here. I see Bill Parcells, and he always says one word to me: 'Stamina.' I know I'm going to be happy here.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/01/mmqb/2.html#ixzz0vSgzMXf0

=========

"he's on a team more suited to his physical style" - isn't a tough, physical team is what McD is trying to build with the Broncos?

"We don't play games here" - maybe Brandon wasn't a fan of McD's motivational tactics (despite public comments to the contrary) though Brandon played his share of "games" in his time in Denver too

Ray Finkle
08-02-2010, 09:25 AM
meh....a leopard doesn't change his spots.

Greybeard
08-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I wish him well.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

-----

bronco militia
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM
BM didn't want to be a Bronco anymore and Peter King has no plans to visit Dove valley this summer

yawn

Br0nc0Buster
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
eh well see
I wish Marshall the best I never had a problem with him

but his problems go back to college, so its not quite accurate to say the same woman was responsible for almost all of his problems
maybe this marriage will force him to grow up

Los Broncos
08-02-2010, 09:33 AM
BM didn't want to be a Bronco anymore and Peter King has no plans to visit Dove valley this summer

yawn

You mean he doesn't want to see Tebow?

Beantown Bronco
08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
... even when I asked him what he would have done differently in Denver before finally getting his wish via a pre-draft trade and new contract in Miami last April.

Why would he do ANYTHING differently? He got exactly what he wanted in the end. He got lots and lots of money and got to play in Miami....which I suspect was his #1 spot all along anyway.

bronco militia
08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
You mean he doesn't want to see Tebow?

I think Peter King is gay... ;D

Los Broncos
08-02-2010, 09:38 AM
I think Peter King is gay... ;D

Gay for Farve, yeah :~ohyah!:

Rabb
08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
i wish him well.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

-----

+1

gtown
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
This is the same **** that has been ever been said about a coach in the midst of a player bitching about more money. Making someone honor their contract is called "playing games."

Pseudofool
08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
"I wouldn't have punted the football,'' he said. "There were a few things last year I didn't handle well. But what I've learned is that sometimes the more powerful lessons are the most painful lessons.''

You can spin these quotes any way you like. But I think this at least suggests that he did learn a thing or two while here.

oubronco
08-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Just move on dude you'll feel better

broncosteven
08-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I have read a lot of positive stuff from Cutler here in Chicago also. Seems he is figuring out that the QB is the leader and you can't be a total prick all the time.

That said it is very early in TC, and it is only TC...

Homer Simpson
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
There is literally nothing interesting in that article for Broncos fans. Dull dull dull.

Hogan11
08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Just move on dude you'll feel better

Sound advice. Just like Cutler, Shanahan, etc...there's no real need to keep up on those who are yesterday's news.

Kaylore
08-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Parcells is the king of mind games. I don't know how Coach Sporano is, but saying random words to players as you walk by is a mind game to me.

And I'm glad Marshall's gone. I'll miss his football ability, but I won't miss the stress of wondering when he'll find himself in the back of a police car next.

Beantown Bronco
08-02-2010, 10:14 AM

You can spin these quotes any way you like. But I think this at least suggests that he did learn a thing or two while here.

I'm still trying to figure out what lesson was painful for him. Anyone? It would be the equivalent of me giving my son a raise in allowance and his older sister's bigger room if he simplied cried enough for it.....with no negative consequences. Great lesson.

Tombstone RJ
08-02-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what lesson was painful for him. Anyone? It would be the equivalent of me giving my son a raise in allowance and his older sister's bigger room if he simplied cried enough for it.....with no negative consequences. Great lesson.

..."sometimes the more powerful lessons are the most painful lessons." isn't this the same line he gives his significant other before the beat down happens?

Kaylore
08-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Yeah that came to my mind. It sounds profound but really Marshall has been a douche and all he's had is people bending over backwards to dig him out of it. And now they just gave him a crap load of money.

bronco militia
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
..."sometimes the more powerful lessons are the most painful lessons." isn't this the same line he gives his significant other before the beat down happens?

:rofl::rofl:

Pseudofool
08-02-2010, 10:36 AM

I think what he's talking about pre-dates his contract and trade. Might have something to do with being benched (whether he was injured or not) and called out in a game that had playoff implications. I'm not suggesting the lesson worked, but Marshall certainly had to swallow some lumps last season.

Ray Finkle
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I think what he's talking about pre-dates his contract and trade. Might have something to do with being benched (whether he was injured or not) and called out in a game that had playoff implications. I'm not suggesting the lesson worked, but Marshall certainly had to swallow some lumps last season.

every time Marshall has embarrassed the Broncos and been punished, he has learned his lesson, yet he makes another mistake....

His actions led to DW getting shot, did he learn?
His drinking led to a DWI, did he learn?
His actions led to him trying to superman a TV, did he learn?
His actions led to him being involved in an unfit relationship, did he learn?
His actions led to a 1 game suspension by the league, did he learn?
His actions led to a suspension in training camp last year, did he learn?
His actions led to him getting suspended for the final game, did he learn?

what has he learned?

TheReverend
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't even think there's anything to read into here.

"he's on a team more suited to his physical style" - is said by Peter King, not Marshall

"We don't play games here" - Certainly doesn't have to be a backhanded jab at McDaniels or have anything to do with Denver.

Ray Finkle
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't even think there's anything to read into here.

"he's on a team more suited to his physical style" - is said by Peter King, not Marshall

"We don't play games here" - Certainly doesn't have to be a backhanded jab at McDaniels or have anything to do with Denver.

funny where Parcel is the king of the mind game....

broncosteven
08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
every time Marshall has embarrassed the Broncos and been punished, he has learned his lesson, yet he makes another mistake....

His actions led to DW getting shot, did he learn?
His drinking led to a DWI, did he learn?
His actions led to him trying to superman a TV, did he learn?
His actions led to him being involved in an unfit relationship, did he learn?
His actions led to a 1 game suspension by the league, did he learn?
His actions led to a suspension in training camp last year, did he learn?
His actions led to him getting suspended for the final game, did he learn?

what has he learned?

Kinda reminds me of "THE VANCE" minus the production. People forget Marshall wasn't the 1st WR the Broncos had with issues.

Miss I.
08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
"Marshall doesn't want to return to the nightmare that was last year. He's married now -- to a different woman than the one he says caused "90 to 95 percent'' of his problems in the past. But he realizes talk is cheap, and no matter what he says now about being a different person in a different place, he's got to show it, day after day, week after week."

Yes, I can see he's learned soooo much. (note irritated sarcasm) I genuinely hope the kid got his stuff together and builds a productive career and life, but if he still says someone else caused 90-95% of his problems then I somehow doubt he's learned anything and will continue to fall into old traps.

That said, how about them Broncos training camp reports...good stuff that. ;D

cmhargrove
08-02-2010, 01:31 PM
"Marshall doesn't want to return to the nightmare that was last year. He's married now -- to a different woman than the one he says caused "90 to 95 percent'' of his problems in the past. But he realizes talk is cheap, and no matter what he says now about being a different person in a different place, he's got to show it, day after day, week after week."

Yes, I can see he's learned soooo much. (note irritated sarcasm) I genuinely hope the kid got his stuff together and builds a productive career and life, but if he still says someone else caused 90-95% of his problems then I somehow doubt he's learned anything and will continue to fall into old traps.

That said, how about them Broncos training camp reports...good stuff that. ;D

I don't know about the chick, but I think that making 50 million would solve about 90 to 95 percent of my problems.

Captain 'Dre
08-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Maybe Marshall meant he sprained his wrist while flailing on the ground, mid-tantrum.

Sprained wrists are painful, you know. [/sarcasm]

Beantown Bronco
08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Seriously, how can he say that one chick caused 95% of his problems when one of his most publicized off the field incidents (the McDonalds wrapper incident) had absolutely nothing to do with her, another (the fight with his current wife) had nothing to do with her, and the on the field incidents last year (punting the ball, etc) had nothing to do with her.

His math teachers would be proud.

Captain 'Dre
08-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Seriously, how can he say that one chick caused 95% of his problems when one of his most publicized off the field incidents (the McDonalds wrapper incident) had absolutely nothing to do with her, another (the fight with his current wife) had nothing to do with her, and the on the field incidents last year (punting the ball, etc) had nothing to do with her.

Not surprisingly, B.M is full of schidt!

Rabb
08-02-2010, 02:21 PM

don't forget his DUI

oubronco
08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't know about the chick, but I think that making 50 million would solve about 90 to 95 percent of my problems.

No Doubt about it

mwill07
08-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder if Marshall is the type of player that needs to be angry and have a chip on his shoulder to be effective.

I always thought this was the deal with Larry Johnson. His running style had such an intensity and anger to him, and we all know he had such an issue cracking the line-up whne he was a rookie...remember the whole "take off the diaper" comment by Vermeil? And then he was pissed off becasue of the KC night-life, and he was pissed off because of his contract. Well, what happened right after he signed the big contract and got his money? He signed his big deal in June 2007. In 2005 and 2006, he had over 1700 yards rushing and 5.2 and 4.3 YPC...after the deal, he never again cracked 1000 yards and his YPC's have been 3.5, 4.3, and 3.3. Some would say it was his situation in the team falling down around him, but to my eyes, he no longer was angry and he no longer ran with the same ferocity.

Back to Marshall - I wonder if now that he's paid, will have have the same drive - the same determination?

You know what? Looking at BMarshall and LJohnson, they're pretty similar, situation wise. Johnson had more hype than Marshall did, but their careers have been on a similar trajectory (as close as a WR and RB can be)...troubles with the police department, troubles with the front office, suspensions, breaking team rules, being general distractions but very effective when on. If that's the case, we dodged a big bullet by getting 2 draft picks for him when we did.

ColoradoDarin
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
One thing I like about Brandon is his ability to almost always say the right things.

The thing I always liked least about Brandon was his lack of ability in applying those things to his life.

The big question I want to know is... did Brandon catch that pass over his shoulder?

outdoor_miner
08-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Well - Perhaps he thinks that she caused 60 major problems for him. ;)

outdoor_miner
08-02-2010, 03:39 PM
don't forget his DUI

Make that 80 problems...

Dr. Broncenstein
08-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Obviously there was real justification for Brandon's previous behavior. He was only making 500K per year playing football. All of his issues have been corrected by giving him multiple millions of dollars. Surely his troubles are over.

Hamrob
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Marshall had 3-100 catch seasons for us and forced apposing teams to game plan against him. He was a huge mismatch for defenses.

He may have played alot of games and turned into a real head ache, but replacing his talent on the field will be hard to do.

If you're a defense...who are you afraid of? Jabar Gaffney? Eddie Royal? A rookie?

We will have to see how our guys pan out this year to be able to see if this works out for us.

The only thing that will prevent Marshall from catching 100 balls and 10 TD's this year...is an injury.

Tombstone RJ
08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Obviously there was real justification for Brandon's previous behavior. He was only making 500K per year playing football. All of his issues have been corrected by giving him multiple millions of dollars. Surely his troubles are over.

I see... so throwing money at a problem makes it go away then... yes, yes, I see now...

Tombstone RJ
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Marshall had 3-100 catch seasons for us and forced apposing teams to game plan against him. He was a huge mismatch for defenses.

He may have played alot of games and turned into a real head ache, but replacing his talent on the field will be hard to do.

If you're a defense...who are you afraid of? Jabar Gaffney? Eddie Royal? A rookie?

We will have to see how our guys pan out this year to be able to see if this works out for us.

The only thing that will prevent Marshall from catching 100 balls and 10 TD's this year...is an injury.

Or if he decides to throw a party and he gets all drunk and screws another woman so as to make current wifey mad, and then they get into a fight and he has to "put her in her place"....

Or if he's at a party and has too much to drink and decides "the rules don't apply to me" and he gets in his Bentley and proceeds to plow it into another car...

Or if he decides he wants to party down on South Beach and some no-name ghetto gangsta says something he doesn't like and he decides to confront said gangsta and guns start a blazen...

oubronco
08-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Hopefully it will be the WR's as a whole and they spread it all over the field and keep the Defenses on their heels

Hamrob
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Hopefully it will be the WR's as a whole and they spread it all over the field and keep the Defenses on their heelsOr maybe, we don't have anyone on offense that any defense respects?

Orton?
Gaffney?
Royal?
Quinn?
Moreno?
Graham?
Buck?
Rookies?

I think defenses will be loading the box, crowing the line and coming on every play. I certainly don't think teams are going to worry about Orton or our current group of skill players. Hopefully we have guys that can step up. But all this nice team, team, team crap isn't going to win Superbowls. Talent wins Superbowls. And Orton is no Tom Brady.

Here's an article to consider:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15656024

Tombstone RJ
08-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Or maybe, we don't have anyone on offense that any defense respects?

Orton?
Gaffney?
Royal?
Quinn?
Moreno?
Graham?
Buck?
Rookies?

I think defenses will be loading the box, crowing the line and coming on every play. I certainly don't think teams are going to worry about Orton or our current group of skill players. Hopefully we have guys that can step up. But all this nice team, team, team crap isn't going to win Superbowls. Talent wins Superbowls. And Orton is no Tom Brady.

Training camp will sort much of this talent issue out. Flip side of your argument is that talent alone does not win championships. There's been mega talented teams that have done poorly. The teams that can blend talent with great team cohesion and superior execution are the ones that win championships.

McD understands that talent is necessary to winning consistently in the NFL. Just because he's changing the skill players does not mean he's getting rid of all the talented players, it simply means he has a different set of priorities when it comes to keeping the talent.

bpc
08-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Meh, whatever. Seems things worked out perfectly for B-Marsh. He'll have no reason to get into any trouble from here on out. Right?

On to the Broncos side of this, we're better off. Brandon was a million dollar talent with a two cent brain. We got some talented kids who can potentially take his place on offense. Here's to hoping McDaniels offensive genius/scheme is as good as he wants everybody to believe it is. We're going to need it next year.

Archer81
08-02-2010, 07:15 PM

He has 99 problems but a bitch aint one...HOLLA.

:Broncos:

Requiem
08-02-2010, 07:32 PM
He has 99 problems but a b**** aint one...HOLLA.

:Broncos:

Word. . . um. . . ah. . . WORD UP. :afro:

Baba Booey
08-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Marshall can go piss up a flagpole. Just another overpaid baby.

Getting paid millions...I wish I had it so tough.

SouthStndJunkie
08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I always thought this was the deal with Larry Johnson. His running style had such an intensity and anger to him, and we all know he had such an issue cracking the line-up whne he was a rookie...remember the whole "take off the diaper" comment by Vermeil? And then he was pissed off becasue of the KC night-life, and he was pissed off because of his contract. Well, what happened right after he signed the big contract and got his money? He signed his big deal in June 2007. In 2005 and 2006, he had over 1700 yards rushing and 5.2 and 4.3 YPC...after the deal, he never again cracked 1000 yards and his YPC's have been 3.5, 4.3, and 3.3. Some would say it was his situation in the team falling down around him, but to my eyes, he no longer was angry and he no longer ran with the same ferocity.

I agree about Larry Johnson....when he was pissed off at the world, he was a beast. He was like that at Penn State his senior year and at Kansas City. Dude got paid and was content and ran nothing like he did before.

He used to run with anger and purpose. He needs something to be pissed off about. He needs to feel slighted.

Miss I.
08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I agree about Larry Johnson....when he was pissed off at the world, he was a beast. He was like that at Penn State his senior year and at Kansas City. Dude got paid and was content and ran nothing like he did before.

He used to run with anger and purpose. He needs something to be pissed off about. He needs to feel slighted.

strange, I scrolled by and for a second and I thought it said Sean Penn State...which really would make sense..Sean Penn also has anger management issues. ;D

SoCalBronco
08-02-2010, 11:09 PM
You know what? Looking at BMarshall and LJohnson, they're pretty similar, situation wise. Johnson had more hype than Marshall did, but their careers have been on a similar trajectory (as close as a WR and RB can be)...troubles with the police department, troubles with the front office, suspensions, breaking team rules, being general distractions but very effective when on. If that's the case, we dodged a big bullet by getting 2 draft picks for him when we did.

Larry Johnson is an out and out bigot and a straight up thug. Brandon Marshall on his worst day isn't even in the same universe as someone like Larry Johnson. Brandon is often immature, sometimes flat out stupid and probably has some anger issues, but he's a decent kid at heart.

There are NO reedeming human qualities about Larry Johnson whatsoever. He is the absolute epitome of human trash.

worm
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
http://www.priusownersgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/apples-and-oranges.jpg

DivineBronco
08-03-2010, 01:23 AM
i know people will read this and put it in the same place as a light rail story but I have a good friend who is now a business partner with someone who was in the Broncos organization for 3 years his last year being Marshall and Cutlers rookie season. He has only ever shared two interesting tidbits. One being that Nalen and Rod were the unquestioned leaders on that team and Cutler had to run everything through them and didn't even have a chance to be the leader that year. And the story that has always stuck with me "Brandon is the worst human I have ever been around in football" I never pressed him on it and for all i know he lost a card game to him so take it for what its worth.
Feel free to file this away into the crazy file if ya want but i have wanted to share this story for a year or so.

cutthemdown
08-03-2010, 12:05 PM
He's fine for next couple yrs as he enjoys his money. Who wouldn't be? The tests will come from adversity not sitting pretty in the sun with millions of dollars and a bunch of excited fans. Funny to me really. It's like these reporters are just a joke now. In all media. It's more about having stars and players like you so you can get access. So much competition now to get the players to talk to you everyone kisses there ass.

I would have asked what did your previous GF have to do with you lying about how your arm got injured 2 yrs ago?

Just wait until 2013 or so when that bonus money has started to dry and other players have gotten bigger deals around him. He will complain, you watch. Just like every primmadonna WR he will be happy, then pissed, then happy. Interviewing during a happy time, then claiming he has changed, is a joke to me.

Abqbronco
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
i know people will read this and put it in the same place as a light rail story but I have a good friend who is now a business partner with someone who was in the Broncos organization for 3 years his last year being Marshall and Cutlers rookie season. He has only ever shared two interesting tidbits. One being that Nalen and Rod were the unquestioned leaders on that team and Cutler had to run everything through them and didn't even have a chance to be the leader that year. And the story that has always stuck with me "Brandon is the worst human I have ever been around in football" I never pressed him on it and for all i know he lost a card game to him so take it for what its worth.Feel free to file this away into the crazy file if ya want but i have wanted to share this story for a year or so.

Or maybe he went to club after losing a football game and started a fight with a bunch of thugs that eventually killed a young man in the prime of his life. Maybe that was what he was talking about.

Kaylore
08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
"Brandon is the worst human I have ever been around in football" I never pressed him on it and for all i know he lost a card game to him so take it for what its worth.

I know some things. I'm just going to say he's got the act down perfectly. He smiles, acts kind of like a little kid, and everyone eats it up and thinks he's "a good kid at heart" when he's really a sociopath working the system to do what he wants. He's been doing it since grade school.

Rock Chalk
08-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Gaffney proved to be quite capable when Marshall was being a douche nozzle. In the blowout loss to KC, in the first half Gaffney was unstoppable. Finishing the game with 14 catches for 213 yards when Marshall was suspended.

Its not Marshall. Talented he is, Im not disputing that, but a ****load of his catches and yards were because of the system when Gaffney stepped right in WITHOUT the threat of Marshall and effectively replicated his numbers.

errand
08-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Or maybe, we don't have anyone on offense that any defense respects?

Orton?
Gaffney?
Royal?
Quinn?
Moreno?
Graham?
Buck?
Rookies?

Yeah talent does win titles...however a bunch of individuals no matter how talented they are won't win any titles either. I'll take a team full of guys who put the team's goals before their own personal goals any day.

I think instead of getting more talented players, perhaps we should get more talented players who fit our team.

errand
08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Larry Johnson is an out and out bigot and a straight up thug. Brandon Marshall on his worst day isn't even in the same universe as someone like Larry Johnson. Brandon is often immature, sometimes flat out stupid and probably has some anger issues, but he's a decent kid at heart.

There are NO reedeming human qualities about Larry Johnson whatsoever. He is the absolute epitome of human trash.

Isn't Larry with the Redskins now? Imagine that, mike shanahan using low character players.....

errand
08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I see... so throwing money at a problem makes it go away then... yes, yes, I see now...

...works for the liberal Democrats.