PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Computer at the house for wireless help

Boobs McGee
07-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Just finished moving into my new apartment (LONGEST WEEK EVER), and am looking to hook up my computer differently. As it stands now, the area where I'd like to computer my computer "station" is about twenty feet across the room, which is a wide open space, and there aren't any coax jacks on the wall.

here's what I have.

Comcast HSI with a cable modem, and wireless router. Desktop pc (asus) with no wireless card currently.,

So, my question is, IF I go buy a wireless card (adapter, whatever you call it), how do I go about setting up my cable modem/wireless router at the wall to send a signal that my comp can pick up?

I'm basically trying to avoid wires across my room, and not sure where the connection need from the ethernet on the back of the comp is going to come from at the coax jack on the wall.

Anybody?

thanks

broncosteven
07-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Just finished moving into my new apartment (LONGEST WEEK EVER), and am looking to hook up my computer differently. As it stands now, the area where I'd like to computer my computer "station" is about twenty feet across the room, which is a wide open space, and there aren't any coax jacks on the wall.

here's what I have.

Comcast HSI with a cable modem, and wireless router. Desktop pc (asus) with no wireless card currently.,

So, my question is, IF I go buy a wireless card (adapter, whatever you call it), how do I go about setting up my cable modem/wireless router at the wall to send a signal that my comp can pick up?

I'm basically trying to avoid wires across my room, and not sure where the connection need from the ethernet on the back of the comp is going to come from at the coax jack on the wall.

Anybody?

thanks

Google would be your best friend.

I am not familiar with what Comcast does for wireless but I am hoping that they have the info for your WEP (remember Google is your best friend) Key there or on your Comcast account web page.

I would get a wireless card that is compatible with your comcast AP (google wireless AP). Usually 802.11N works with anything these days.

After you pop the card in the PC it should detect it and load the drivers then you should be able to search for wireless signals. You will need the ID of your wireless device(you get this info from comcast), select it and enter the WEP key. There should be instructions with the card.

Your likely to get drops and interference from other wireless devices if your in an apartment, I recommend finding a way to run a long cat5 cable. Wireless is not great for always on devices, it is flakey and interference really affects speed and connectivity. Before you drop the cash I would find a way to hard wire the PC. Could you mount the router near the PC? with AT&T they provide a wireless router and boxes for the TV's could you mount your router with the PC and keep the TV box at the TV? All you should need is a phone jack for the Router.

brncs_fan
07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Not sure about setting up a router directly from the modem without the PC, but, I have rant cords under the carpet before to get them where I need to go without dragging them across the room.

Or you can get a 20x5 rug to cover it up :thumbsup:

steeledude
07-31-2010, 09:21 PM

here's what I have.

Anybody?

thanks

It isn't hard to set up wireless with comcast. If I understand correctly you have a wireless router in addition to the comcast modem--so you probably went out and bought that, right? If so run the software it came with on your computer (or go to company website, probably can run it from there), and it will basically do everything for you. Depending on the company. There are some real cheap and easy wireless routers to set up out there. You just run the software, it walks you through it, and you're set up. You create your security key and everything. Real simple. Then like said above install your adapter to your computer and it will detect all the wireless signals, you go on your computer and select the one you named and bam! There you go.

If your wireless is old or hard to configure, I'd recommend dropping thirty or forty bucks on a new one at best buy, ask the salesman for ones easy to configure. It really is that simple.

But I have had wireless trouble in my apartment and have gone back to wired because I couldn't watch a movie on Instant Netflix for example without it interrupting and adjusting every few minutes. There is a lot of interference coming from all around you in apartments.

TDmvp
07-31-2010, 09:25 PM
I would just pick up a usb wireless adapter ... might not even have to install the software it came with just plug it in... sometimes you do but i didn't on a desktop i wanted to run wireless .... If the signal from the modem is already set up I figure it will find it on it's own.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-F5D7050-Wireless-G-54Mbps-USB-Network-Adapter/3756936
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/72/28/68/50/0072286850174_215X215.jpg

That One Guy
07-31-2010, 10:12 PM
I would get a wireless card that is compatible with your comcast AP (google wireless AP). Usually 802.11N works with anything these days.

You're saying 802.11N devices are automatically backwards compatible to 802.11G? I bought a USB wireless for the kid's computer because the salesguy said he thought they were backwards compatible. When I plugged it in, no signals.

I may have done something wrong. The software was a pain to use.

As for OP, I just installed a PCI wireless card in my desktop and it works excellent but I'm not in an area that's really saturated with signals. I've been highly impressed with the quality but you really never know.

tnedator
07-31-2010, 10:44 PM
I would just pick up a usb wireless adapter ... might not even have to install the software it came with just plug it in... sometimes you do but i didn't on a desktop i wanted to run wireless .... If the signal from the modem is already set up I figure it will find it on it's own.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-F5D7050-Wireless-G-54Mbps-USB-Network-Adapter/3756936
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/72/28/68/50/0072286850174_215X215.jpg

Some type of USB wireless adapter like this should work fine, especially with that short distance. While not absolutely necessary, if you get one that is the same brand as your router, it 'might' make connecting them easier. Sometimes routers/adapters of the same brands have shortcuts (push button or other tricks) to get the security setup.

If not, it isn't a big deal, you will just need to configure wireless security WPA/PSK in the router and then use the same phrase or character string on your computer with the USB adapter.

You'll want to temporarily hook your PC to the router by an ethernet cable to get everything configured, then setup the wireless adapter.

Boobs McGee
08-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!

I ended up going with a netgear wireless-g usb adapter (wg111v3), but SO far it hasn't been working. I've been frustrated for the last two hours, searching frantically on google for some kind of a solution.

I've downloaded the updated drivers, and it SEEMS to install fine (comp recognizes that a device has been inserted, and it recognizes it by name), but I can't configure ANYTHING...in regards to the wireless compatibility. The network can't find it. There's a configuration driver program that I saved to the desktop once I completed the initial install, but it's not opening. The only thing I've been able to find online, is a compatibility problem with Kapersnky antivirus that I'm running. BUT, I can't be sure, because the device is showing no signs of life, period. The little led on the adapter itself hasn't flashed a sign of life at any moment (and I've plugged it into usb's on my buddy's laptop AND my ps3), so I'm starting to wonder if it's just a faulty product. it WAS pretty cheap. Anywho, probly gonna exchange it tomorrow.

Thanks again though, this SHOULD be the perfect fix once I get it working properly.

Anybody had luck with a pci card (not sure if that's the correct term, but basically a more "permanent" fix that I wouldn't have to worry about losing ala the usb) or pcmia?

Boobs McGee
08-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Google would be your best friend.

I am not familiar with what Comcast does for wireless but I am hoping that they have the info for your WEP (remember Google is your best friend) Key there or on your Comcast account web page.

After you pop the card in the PC it should detect it and load the drivers then you should be able to search for wireless signals. You will need the ID of your wireless device(you get this info from comcast), select it and enter the WEP key. There should be instructions with the card.

Your likely to get drops and interference from other wireless devices if your in an apartment, I recommend finding a way to run a long cat5 cable. Wireless is not great for always on devices, it is flakey and interference really affects speed and connectivity. Before you drop the cash I would find a way to hard wire the PC. Could you mount the router near the PC? with AT&T they provide a wireless router and boxes for the TV's could you mount your router with the PC and keep the TV box at the TV? All you should need is a phone jack for the Router.

Just reread your post...do you think the wireless g could be the compatibility problem? My current router is an N...

Like you said after that part; insert adapter, update drivers, but it WON'T let me search for wireless signals. The program closes, and I can't open the next part of the install wizard as shown in the manual. It should come up with a list of possible connections, but I can't get to THAT section.

weird.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I found a link that is relevant to your interests.

Here you go. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wireless+router+setup+for+the+mentally+challeng ed+or+elderly)

Boobs McGee
08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
wow i NEVER would have guessed to look there. no wonder theres a Dr. in front of your name

Eldorado
08-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Just reread your post...do you think the wireless g could be the compatibility problem? My current router is an N...

Like you said after that part; insert adapter, update drivers, but it WON'T let me search for wireless signals. The program closes, and I can't open the next part of the install wizard as shown in the manual. It should come up with a list of possible connections, but I can't get to THAT section.

weird.

Your wireless card is not compatible with your wireless router. I have comcast and that exact same setup. I bought both the router and usb wireless card at the same time, manufactured by the same company, made sure they were compatible and have had no issues. If you have the N router, get the N card made by the company that made the router. Should solve your problem.

Boobs McGee
08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
perfect, thanks man. ill go swap em out when i get home

broncosteven
08-03-2010, 08:13 PM

weird.

The card in the pc and the AP need to match or the AP needs to be backwards compatible with the card.

Good luck GOOGLE is your friend.

Pony Boy
08-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I found a link that is relevant to your interests.

Here you go. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wireless+router+setup+for+the+mentally+challeng ed+or+elderly)

Hilarious! ^5