PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook speculation...

Popps
07-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Nothing new. More speculation. Some Baker stuff to read...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/427807-brian-westbrook-to-denver

J.J. Arrington has been a Bronco for two years, but he will not play a game for the team.

In a surprise move, Denver traded the running back/return man to Philadelphia for linebacker Joe Mays .

According to people close to Arrington, the move was totally unexpected. Arrington was headed into the season with the inside track to be the third-down running back and perhaps a returner. Denver resigned Arrington this year after signing and cutting him last year after he needed knee surgery.

The question now is who Denverís third-down back will be. The trade could potentially mean Denver will revisit signing free agent Brian Westbrook . In June, Denver sources said they were no longer interested in Westbrook because the team wanted to see what Arrington could do. The source said Westbrook could come back into play in training camp if the team wasnít sold on Arrington.

So, itís something to think about.

The questions surrounding Westbrook are mostly centered around his health. In recent seasons Westbrook has been plagued by injury and more seriously, concussions. With Denver releasing Arrington the question is once again third down production. One must question, giving his history, Westbrook filling that role.

With rookie Toney Baker still on Denver's roster, as well as the speculation surrounding Tim Tebow in third down packages, perhaps The Broncos are comfortable with what they have in third down production and would use Westbrook as a pass catching threat out of the backfield.

Toney Baker is a rookie running back from North Carolina State University who joined the Broncos as a college free agent on April 30, 2010. He played 38 career games at N.C. State from 2005-09, totaling 451 rushes for 2,045 yards (4.5 avg.) with 17 touchdowns along with 65 receptions for 676 yards (10.4 avg.) with four scores and finished his collegiate career ranked 11th in school history in both rushing yards (2,045) and rushing touchdowns (17). He ranked sixth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in rushing (64.4 ypg.) and ninth in all-purpose yards (94.0 ypg.) in 2009, totaling 160 rushes for 773 yards with six touchdowns and 28 catches for 355 yards with three scores. Baker received the ACC's Brian Piccolo Award in 2009 as the conference's most courageous player after recovering from a right knee injury that forced him to miss nearly the entire two previous seasons.

This is yet another story surrounding the Broncos training camp and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised giving his friendship with Brian Dawkins and Correll Buckhalter, Westbrook coming into Denver competing for a roster spot.

maher_tyler
07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Would be a solid signing IMO!

Popps
07-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Yea, I think the price would be right... and another solid vet to help the offense couldn't hurt.

Seems like a low-risk signing. Even if it buys us more time to develop one of the younger guys.

LRtagger
07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
I dont see how it could hurt. Especially with Moreno still developing. He could probably learn a thing or two from Westbrook.

Hulamau
07-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Im down for it. Westbrook is always an asset when he's healthy.

Borks147
07-31-2010, 07:49 PM
I dont see how it could hurt. Especially with Moreno still developing. He could probably learn a thing or two from Westbrook.

yeah, like avoiding injuries really well......

did I break anyones sarcasm meter?

Kid A
07-31-2010, 07:50 PM
This would also probably lock us in as Eagles fans' favorite AFC team.

broncosteven
07-31-2010, 07:56 PM

Wouldn't hurt us any but Westbrook might suffer crippling migraines for the rest of his life...

Personally if the guy's concussion status is better than Chris Millers was I would sign him but it would be a waste of time for both teams if he took another bad hit and had to call it quits.

Tombstone RJ
07-31-2010, 08:06 PM
I really hope letting Arrington go is a good reflection on Baker. Baker and Moreno for the next 3-4 years might be a great combo. I got a feeling Westbrooks phone will ring when a team has injuiries and need another productive RB.

broncosteven
07-31-2010, 08:13 PM
I really hope letting Arrington go is a good reflection on Baker. Baker and Moreno for the next 3-4 years might be a great combo. I got a feeling Westbrooks phone will ring when a team has injuiries and need another productive RB.

I am guessing they let westbrook rest up then call him near the end of camp. No need to pound him around.

extralife
07-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Westbrook wouldn't have a role on this team. If we want a back, I'd rather pick up LenDale White. That dude can score on the goal line, and that's a weakness of our team.

ZONA
07-31-2010, 09:06 PM
This would also probably lock us in as Eagles fans' favorite AFC team.

Yup, because that's so important. I'm getting wood just thinking about how many Eagles fans might want to start catching a bit of some Bronco games.

Hilarious!^5

broncocalijohn
08-01-2010, 01:25 AM
11 posts and not one on HILLIS! WTF man? Bring back Hillis and he is our 3rd back. Just think of all the juicy threads to come with training camp?

SouthStndJunkie
08-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Pass on Brian Westbrook.

In theory it sounds great, but in reality, the dude has a soft dented melon that has been concussed too many times.

DBroncos4life
08-01-2010, 02:28 AM
I kind of wanted to see what Arrington could do for the return game.

cutthemdown
08-01-2010, 03:52 AM
I was hoping Westy would retire. Seems like a class act. Always played hard and seemed to always put team first. Would be a shame for him to end up all brain damaged.

His choice though. If he does become a Bronco I would be really happy. Just having guys like that around can run off on the younger guys. Also let them realize that winning is tough. Winning the whole thing even tougher. Vets like Westy who have struggled to try and get there are a perfect example of that.

cutthemdown
08-01-2010, 03:52 AM
I like the idea of Moreno staying in the game and learning how to be an every down back.

broncswin
08-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I like the idea of Moreno staying in the game and learning how to be an every down back.

THIS:thumbsup:

Kid A
08-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Yup, because that's so important. I'm getting wood just thinking about how many Eagles fans might want to start catching a bit of some Bronco games.

Hilarious!^5

I know, right?! We already locked in the U of Florida fans to a 5-year contract. Obviously this is a brilliant marketing strategy by McGenius to win over a larger fan base in this weakening economy.

boppool
08-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Westbrook wouldn't have a role on this team. If we want a back, I'd rather pick up LenDale White. That dude can score on the goal line, and that's a weakness of our team.

We now have Tebow for that..