PDA

View Full Version : Broncos & Thomas close to deal

HEAV
07-31-2010, 09:57 AM
The Broncos are close to reaching a five-year agreement with first-round selection Demaryius Thomas.

The heir apparent to Brandon Marshall, Thomas was the No. 22 overall pick in the NFL draft, three spots ahead of where the Broncos took quarterback Tim Tebow.

Tebow signed his five-year, $11.25 million deal Thursday and attended the Broncos' final preliminary training camp workout Friday. Thomas, a 6-foot-3, 224-pound deep-threat receiver, is expected to be signed by the time training camp starts at 8:45 a.m. Sunday.

Thomas' guarantee should come in around $9.3 million with the total value between $13.3 million and $14 million. Difficult-to-reach incentives may push Thomas' deal past $15 million. He is the team's final unsigned player.

"I know Demaryius is itching to get in here, and we are too," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said early Friday afternoon.

Negotiations between Broncos general manager Brian Xanders and Thomas' agent, Todd France, picked up considerably late Friday afternoon.
-------

Bay Bay has become the forgotten 1st rounder (with all the Tebow)

Br0nc0Buster
07-31-2010, 10:14 AM
good to hear

Quoydogs
07-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Nobody puts bay bay in the corner. Hilarious!

RhymesayersDU
07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Unless it's the corner of the end-zone, hey-o.

2KBack
07-31-2010, 10:35 AM
This is the guy I have my eye on. I know Tebow is exciting and all, but honestly his on field contributions are going to be limited for at least this season. Thomas on the other hand can be a major contributor as a deep threat, which could change the face of the offense.

RhymesayersDU
07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
You mean it would change the offense, if our QB could throw farther than 10 yards.

/stirs pot

Hamrob
07-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Great News. I really was hoping that we would get Thomas in the 1st...the fact that we were able to trade back and snatch him up at #22 was tremendous, IMO.

Then to use the added picks to pluck Tebow was quite understandable. Had McDaniels used our #1 on Tebow...things would have melted down on him. And Tebow would not have been there in the 2nd for us. So, to get Thomas who we might have picked at #11 at #22 plus the extra picks to allow us to get Tebow (essentially for a 2nd) was good work by the Broncos.

Now, we can all debate whether we should have used those extra picks on players that could of helped the team right away instead of gambling on Tebow...but, McDaniels wanted Tebow and he found a reasonable way of getting him, without sacrificing our draft or our 1st round pick/target in Thomas.

Kudos to him.

Personally, I think Thomas will be a terror down the road!

Quoydogs
07-31-2010, 10:40 AM
You mean it would change the offense, if our QB could throw farther than 10 yards.

/stirs pot

And away we go! :garcia:

2KBack
07-31-2010, 10:43 AM

/stirs pot

I'm not touching that

RhymesayersDU
07-31-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm not touching that

That's what she said!

Popps
07-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm not touching that

I will.

Orton was in the middle of the pack (16th) as far as yards per completion last season.

Those ranking below him included...

-Mark Sanchez
-Carson Palmer
-Matt Ryan
-Jay Cutler

Kurt Warner ranked just a few spots ahead of him at #12, with .3 more per passing attempt.

Now, before anyone starts arguing that we didn't throw deep enough... consider what our offense is set up to do. It's very similar to what Arizona's offense is set up to do... get the ball out of the QB's hands fairly quickly and allow skill players to gain chunks of yardage.

Our controlled passing game allowed us to rack up an excellent start last season. It wasn't until our defense and O-line began struggling that we began losing games.

Those looking for this team to go "Playstation 3" any time soon are going to be very disappointed. It's not going to happen. We'll continue to see a controlled passing game.

Certainly, if Thomas turns out to be a guy who can outfight guys and gain separation on deep balls (i.e. Moss), we'll see a few more of those per game. But, this offense is designed to pick up short chunks of yardage through the air, and that's not going to change.

Quoydogs
07-31-2010, 11:00 AM
I will.

Orton was in the middle of the pack (16th) as far as yards per completion last season.

Those ranking below him included...

-Mark Sanchez
-Carson Palmer
-Matt Ryan
-Jay Cutler

Kurt Warner ranked just a few spots ahead of him at #12, with .3 more per passing attempt.

Now, before anyone starts arguing that we didn't throw deep enough... consider what our offense is set up to do. It's very similar to what Arizona's offense is set up to do... get the ball out of the QB's hands fairly quickly and allow skill players to gain chunks of yardage.

Our controlled passing game allowed us to rack up an excellent start last season. It wasn't until our defense and O-line began struggling that we began losing games.

Those looking for this team to go "Playstation 3" any time soon are going to be very disappointed. It's not going to happen. We'll continue to see a controlled passing game.

Certainly, if Thomas turns out to be a guy who can outfight guys and gain separation on deep balls (i.e. Moss), we'll see a few more of those per game. But, this offense is designed to pick up short chunks of yardage through the air, and that's not going to change.
You make some very good points here, but if this is the case why draft BAY BAY ? He is going to give us the exact opposite of this.

Cito Pelon
07-31-2010, 11:01 AM

/stirs pot

I heard Quinn is an Armzilla kind of guy.

Tombstone RJ
07-31-2010, 11:02 AM
D. Thomas's strengths are going to be realized in the redzone. He creates mismatches and he's the type of WR that out muscles his way to the ball and is athletic enough to dominate the CB and catch the ball. He's fast for his size and he's got great hands. It's not gonna be a problem for Orton to throw the ball to the back of the endzone and give Thomas an opportunity to catch the ball.

Kaylore
07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
I heard this was supposed to be done by now, but so long as he's there Sunday, I'm OK.

Br0nc0Buster
07-31-2010, 11:51 AM
You make some very good points here, but if this is the case why draft BAY BAY ? He is going to give us the exact opposite of this.

prevents defenses from playing us really tight
if he can beat teams deep then teams will have to play off a bit or roll coverage his way, thus creating bigger holes and more room for our receivers to work with

mwill07
07-31-2010, 11:52 AM

IMO a legitimate deep threat opens up the underneath passing game. That's what we were lacking last year - none of the '09 receivers were known as deep threats. Marshall is a big, catch the ball in traffic, RAC guy. Royal is a crisp route running guy who apparently didn't run crisp routes. I'm not even sure how to characterize the rest of the team, but deep threats they were not.

lots of people groaned and moaned that Orton wasn't throwing deep, and concluded that it was because he has a noodle arm. I contend that McD didn't call many deep plays because we simply didn't have the personnel to make it work.

Demayrius Thomas gives this offense an added dimension and should open things underneath for guys like Royal, Gaffney, Moreno, and Decker.

HILife
07-31-2010, 11:57 AM
That's what she said!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_VEz2qr4YUgEOM:http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa232/98ekhatch98/TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael.jpg&t=1

cutthemdown
07-31-2010, 12:01 PM

Not really. He's a big, physical WR who will be great at the short passing game. Size matter most in jump balls, fighting for balls, gaining position over smaller defender to give QB a good target to throw at.

cutthemdown
07-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Not saying THomas cant be a deep threat. Only that I see him as a big target who will be great taking short passes like Marshall did and turning it into 5 extra yrds each time.

orange skier
07-31-2010, 12:13 PM
"lots of people groaned and moaned that Orton wasn't throwing deep, and concluded that it was because he has a noodle arm. I contend that McD didn't call many deep plays because we simply didn't have the personnel to make it work."

It's not just his arm strength....it's his inability to pull the trigger on the deeper passes.........and McDaniels knows this, and apparently the O has been working on this all spring....trying to get the ball down the field........but....Coach also got us Quinn and Tebow and gave Orton the one year contract.........just in case Orton just can't make it happen.........last year there were guys open all over the field.........but Orton just walked up to the line, and looked for Marshall..........this year....no Marshall......in the last game last year, when he didn't have Marshall, he focused on Gaffney, and Gaffney had a huge game.....Orton has to find the other open guys........

Popps
07-31-2010, 01:46 PM

I disagree. Thomas is a huge target, and great for a QB like Orton. Orton obviously had nice success throwing to Marshall, and I think the plan is to have Thomas step into that role over time.

Popps
07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
.....Orton has to find the other open guys........

I've already disproved that theory using game video comparing Orton and Kurt Warner on another thread. Orton went to his 2nd and 3rd options more than Warner in the games we used as an example.

It's not accurate at all to say he didn't look for other options. He might have been conservative with the ball, but he went to 2nd and 3rd options on a regular basis.

It was also his first year in the offense, so it's logical to assume that he'll be even more comfortable with his progressions this season.

orange skier
07-31-2010, 08:32 PM
I've already disproved that theory using game video comparing Orton and Kurt Warner on another thread. Orton went to his 2nd and 3rd options more than Warner in the games we used as an example.

It's not accurate at all to say he didn't look for other options. He might have been conservative with the ball, but he went to 2nd and 3rd options on a regular basis.

It was also his first year in the offense, so it's logical to assume that he'll be even more comfortable with his progressions this season.

Popps....I trust you.........and because I want these guys to win so bad, I'm hoping and praying that you're right...........Orton's second year should be better, and hopefully we have a good line blocking for him........as I mentioned, I do think this is an area that they are focusing on, and working on, as they go into camp........McDaniels is smart.........he has to have seen something, and arrived as some sort of a conclusion, as to Orton's abilities last year........ He did, after all, go out and get Quinn and Tebow........there's a lot of us out here that think that Orton has problems going down the field.........