PDA

View Full Version : Arrington traded

Br0nc0Buster
07-30-2010, 06:50 PM
according to Schefters twitter Arrington was just traded to the Eagles for ILB Joe Mays

http://twitter.com/adam_schefter

Doggcow
07-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Who the hell is Joe Mays?

Bronco Boy
07-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Former NDSU Bison LB

Requiem
07-30-2010, 06:57 PM
**** yeah, Joe Mays is a boss. He was a North Dakota State Bison. One of the best linebackers we ever had at the university. He is a real pleasure to watch. God, I'm stoked.

Broncos4Life
07-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Former NDSU Bison LB

Anyone have a scouting report on Mays?

watermock
07-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Good trade if JJ passes his physical.

Inkana7
07-30-2010, 06:59 PM
wtf, didn't we sign him like, 4 months ago?

oldschoolorange
07-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Joe Mays:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11434

OBF1
07-30-2010, 07:01 PM
5-11 ughhhh

elsid13
07-30-2010, 07:02 PM
So we have Morena and Buck and who else now?

broncosteven
07-30-2010, 07:04 PM

You forgot TEBOW! He is the team.

gyldenlove
07-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Overview</B>

A powerfully built linebacker known for his outstanding performances in the training room and bone-jarring hits on the playing field.

Mays has the ability to generate explosion on contact and has had good success dislodging the ball from ballcarriers during his three years as a starter.

The 2007 Great West Football Conference Defensive Player of the Year has always been a tremendous hitter who turns heads with his "de-cleater" tackles. He has excellent quickness for his size and was the unquestioned defensive leader in the middle of the field. He has solid football instincts and is always around the action.

Mays was a standout linebacker at Hyde Park High School, where he was a two-time first- team All-Conference performer and a first team All-City selection for head coach Wesley Yates. He recorded 115 tackles his senior season, including 16 sacks and had a pair of interceptions. He also produced 110 tackles his junior campaign.

Mays enrolled at North Dakota State in 2003, spending the season with the scout team. He played in 11 games as a reserve inside linebacker and special-teamer in 2004. That season, he registered 45 tackles (28 solo) with three sacks and five stops for losses.

Mays earned first-team All-Great West Football Conference honors from the media and was chosen to Football Gazette's All-Region second-team in 2005. He took over middle linebacker chores, pacing the Bison with 83 tackles (48 solo). He added four sacks, 10.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and eight pressures. He also picked off three passes and caused two fumbles.

The North Dakota State middle linebacker was limited at midseason by a groin injury, but still tied for the team lead with 67 tackles (38 solo) in 2006. He was again named to the All-GWFC first-team, as he had two sacks, five stops for losses and a forced fumble. He also broke up three passes.

The Great West Football Conference Defensive Player of the Year received All-American honors as a senior in 2007. He sat out the Southern Utah game with a hip strain, but still led the team with a career-high 90 tackles (45 solo), including 2.5 sacks and nine stops for minus-32 yards. He deflected six passes and gained 49 yards on two kickoff returns.

Mays started 31 of 43 games at North Dakota State, recording 285 total tackles and a school-record 159 solo hits. He had 11 sacks for minus-90 yards, 29.5 stops for losses of 131 yards and 12 quarterback pressures. He caused four fumbles, batted down 11 passes and intercepted three others for 29 yards in returns. He also gained 53 yards on three kickoff returns (17.7-yard average).

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=630><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=630><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=550><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#d90000 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=20 background=images/mcfback.jpg width="100%"> Analysis</B></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Positives: Lacks height, but has impressive upper-body muscle structure (sometimes gets too muscular), thick chest, broad shoulders, thick thighs and calves...Best flowing down the line and making plays on the move...Impact hitter on initial contact, showing good balance and adequate body control, sinking his weight properly to drive through the ballcarrier...Gets his teammates lined up, but is better reading keys on run plays than when working in the zone...Fires low off the snap and is combative with his hands in attempts to shed and split double teams...Has a low center of gravity to get under the pads of a lead blocker to clog the rush lane...Comes out of his stance and attacks the ballcarrier with good force and has the hand strength to dislodge the ball from the opponent...Brings his hips and drives hard with his legs to impede the forward progress of a ballcarrier...Good at stacking and controlling multiple blockers, which frees up his outside linebackers to make the play...Stays on his feet well, fighting throughout when working in traffic...Shows good leverage ability taking on offensive linemen...Solid wrapup tackler who will generally bring his man down once he gets a piece of the opponent...Reacts quickly and attacks runners when he sees the cutback lanes developing...Not the greatest, but can get decent pass depth in the short area...More of a bull rusher than a pass rusher, but has a good concept for taking angles that shorten his path to the quarterback...Has better vision on running plays, as he has that explosive initial step shooting the gaps...In pass coverage, he is capable of sticking to tight ends and slot backs -- not speed receivers -- as uses his hands to reroute.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height and, while that might help him slipping past blockers to shoot the gaps, he struggles to handle bigger receivers in jump-ball situations...Does not have the timed speed to get good depth in his pass drops and stay with the receivers throughout a route's progression...Needs to do a better job of timing his leaps when competing for the ball at its high point (will jump early or get knocked off-balance)...Has had some stamina issues, as he will run out of gas and disappear for long stretches...Better making his reads vs. the run, as he has just adequate vision and feel for passes into the zone...Height issues cause him to be late at times locating the inside runner working through trash...Not really sudden on downhill plays, lacking the burst to get to the outside running game...Has some hip stiffness in his pass drops and when changing direction working in space...Needs to show better explosion and urgency getting through the hole as a blitzer...Has an outstanding physique, but to maintain flexibility, he needs to keep his weight down and not try to build further muscle development (frame is maxed out and any more bulk will affect his quickness).

Compares To: LONDON FLETCHER-BAKER-Washington...Similar in size, their playing strength is the most impressive common trait between these 'backers. Mays looks like he could relieve Charles Atlas from holding the world on his shoulders, but that physique has also led to change-of-direction issues, as he sometimes gets overmuscular, looking stiff in his movements, especially when chasing down plays on the outside. Even if used only as a two-down performer, he could bring nice value late in the draft.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

From nfldraftscout.com

elsid13
07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
You forgot TEBOW! He is the team.

I hoping the kid from NC State showed something in OTA, because there isn't a lot depth there now.

Requiem
07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Anyone have a scouting report on Mays?

Well, I went to NDSU and got to see him in his prime during school, so perhaps I could elaborate for the fans on the Mane.

Joe Mays was one of the best linebackers we've had at NDSU. He's the consummate professional and a team leader. He is a demon on special teams (even though he was full-time starter at NDSU) and is a typical thumper at ILB. If he ever got the chance to see the field on defense as a starter, I'd peg him at being able to play the first two downs. He would be a liability in pass coverage, but he is very strong against the run.

He gets through garbage quickly because he does a great job of shedding blocks because he uses his hands so well and is a great downhill attacker. He was able to rush the passer successfully at school and recorded a decent amount of tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Solid depth player and a good special teams player. Nice pick-up.

RhymesayersDU
07-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Love the trade. Championship!

TheReverend
07-30-2010, 07:17 PM
First off, awesome deal. We dump an injury prone scatback and put more depth in the ILB position.

Secondly, Arrington is clearly McDaniel's Chad Mustard.

Requiem
07-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Somebody on another forum says we also threw in a conditional 2012 choice.

Requiem
07-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Clarification, if Arrington is cut, the receive a conditional choice. I'll look for confirmation somewhere.

Lev Vyvanse
07-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Mcdouchebag is tearing this team apart. Hopefully it's the first pick. He doesn't understand the value of draft picks anyways.

baja
07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
So can you have too many team leaders???

Br0nc0Buster
07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
perhaps this also means they are confident in their RB depth with either Baker and/or Kolby Smith if he is still on the team

BMarsh615
07-30-2010, 07:34 PM

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/19956278675

Broncos trade RB J.J. Arrington to Eagles for LB Joe Mays, straight up. Nothing else involved in trade

Lev Vyvanse
07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
perhaps this also means they are confident in their RB depth with either Baker and/or Kolby Smith if he is still on the team

I was just thinking this myself. Does any know what the current depth chart looks like?

McDman
07-30-2010, 07:37 PM
He'll probably be cut and people will start freaking out around here. Sucks for Arrington, I just heard him on the radio the other day and he sounds like a good guy.

Oh well.

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Maybe this means a RB like Toney Baker is impressing the coaches.

gtown
07-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Backup for whoever plays SILB? Hopefully Haggan can transition back there without issue.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-30-2010, 07:59 PM
JJ Arrington gets the Chad Mustard award for the most on-again off-again Bronco to never amount to shiat.

broncos-rock
07-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Or.......Does this mean Brian Westbrook is going to be signed?

baja
07-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Or.......Does this mean Brian Westbrook is going to be signed?

Let's hope

garandman
07-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Yep, I was thinking the same thing

TonyR
07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/19956278675

Broncos trade RB J.J. Arrington to Eagles for LB Joe Mays, straight up. Nothing else involved in trade

This report differs:

If Arrington does not make the team, the Eagles will receive a sixth-round pick in 2012.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Eagles_acquire_JJ_Arrington_in_trade.html#ixzz0vE3 TJYut

Rocket 7
07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/dipsomaniac1/lombardi-trophy_full.jpg

DenverBrit
07-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I wonder if Westbrook's knee is 100% and is St Louis still interested in him.

If healthy, he'd be a nice signing.

Do you think Kolby Smith is impressing anyone at Dove Valley.

broncos-rock
07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Joe Mays-LB-Broncos Jul. 30 - 10:00 pm et

Broncos acquired ILB Joe Mays from the Eagles in exchange for RB J.J. Arrington and a conditional draft pick in 2012.
For once, we like the Broncos' side better. A thumper out of North Dakota State, Mays' lack of quality range will be less of a drawback in Denver's 3-4 scheme. Mays' ideal position in the Broncos' system would be "Ted" linebacker, where converted OLB Mario Haggan is currently slated to start.
Related: Mario Haggan, Eagles

bpc
07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Mays looks like a solid football player at a position where we're lacking guys with the size to have an impact. I love him as a potential two down MLB in the 3-4.

azbroncfan
07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Good trade and I know nothing of Mays. Arrington is a below average runner, good recieving RB that is injury prone. He is a 3rd back at best.

mwill07
07-30-2010, 09:05 PM
this could be as simple as trading someone who can't play special teams for someone who can.

Bronco Boy
07-30-2010, 09:50 PM
This is a special teams signing for sure. Guy is a beast of a tackler. Pass coverage is iffy though from what I've seen both in college and in the pros.

Paladin
07-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Sounds like a player that fits McD's scheme. He favors ST players.....

HEAV
07-30-2010, 10:04 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nW98PdZuX7Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nW98PdZuX7Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HEAV
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfOdS1vbhGU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfOdS1vbhGU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSBTDYX09wM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSBTDYX09wM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

extralife
07-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Someone actually gave us something for J.J. Arrington? Did I read that right?

DivineLegion
07-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Toney Baker will suprise a lot of people he was in a terrible situation in Raleigh. NC States offensive line was good awful, and Toney never got a chance to make anything happen. He was constantly getting hit behind the line of scrimage because guys would miss blocking assignments. Thats why he ended up getting hurt so early and missing almost two seasons of ball. I think he is a low expectation high ceiling player that will impress a lot of people. I would not be suprised if Josh saw something he liked out of this kid and felt JJ was expendable.

KipCorrington25
07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah this sucks, NDSU is basically Metro State in Green Bay Packers uniforms.

HEAV
07-30-2010, 10:49 PM
There was all that time, medical staff manpower and money the Broncos put in to get running back J.J. Arrington healthy enough to play, and all that sweat, toil, rehab and sacrifice Arrington did so he could play for the Broncos.

And then, just as Arrington was ready to join the Broncos for the start of training camp Sunday, he was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Joe Mays, a special-teams standout and backup inside linebacker.

"In this business you come to expect the unexpected," said J.R. Rickert, Arrington's agent.

The Eagles had interest in a versatile backup tailback and the Broncos who were searching for an inside backer who could fill the special-teams role vacated by Mario Haggan. Haggan will get some special teams relief this season as he shifts to starting "mike" linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

After Arrington sat out last season to recover from microfracture surgery on a knee, Philadelphia tried to sign Arrington but he decided to re-sign with the Broncos, who had signed him following the back's 2008 Super Bowl run with Arizona.

But as the Broncos got ready for this season, it became apparent they had an abundance of versatile backs, including starter Knowshon Moreno and veteran backups Correll Buckhalter and Kolby Smith.

Irish Stout
07-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I think I like Haggan at Mike.

I was always interested to see Arrington in a Broncos uni, but never convinced we needed him.

I guess go Mays!

Popps
07-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Maybe this means a RB like Toney Baker is impressing the coaches.

Probably more need at LB than depth at RB, though I share your enthusiasm for Baker.

I know a lot of RB's look good on college highlight reels, but... well.... the kid looks good!

Popps
07-30-2010, 11:03 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfOdS1vbhGU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfOdS1vbhGU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSBTDYX09wM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSBTDYX09wM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow, the guy has some range.

I can't imagine any player traded for Arrington being a big contributor, though. I was actually excited to see Arrington play in Denver, but how the hell does someone trade for the guy. He's been out of football. We don't even know if he can walk, much less play... and he wasn't a world-beater to begin with.

Very, very strange trade. But, on paper... you have to like the idea of having another pure ILB on the roster, especially a young one.

Can't see why Filthy would let the guy go. Maybe they're stacked at LB, or maybe they know something we don't.

Tombstone RJ
07-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks like Mays fills a leadership role on special teams that Haggan is vacating, a thumper who is good against the run. A short LBer can be very effective as he can get lost in the crowd and be hard for a RB to see, then bam, he's all over you. I love it that Arrington was expendable, that tells me McD is comfortable with the depth at RB. I doubt Westbook is brought in as Buckhalter basically fills the same role...

Kaylore
07-30-2010, 11:20 PM

That's the part that shocked me as well.

broncocalijohn
07-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Mays is an inside LB so pass coverage wont be his forte. If a TE or WR comes over the middle, I would like to see some of those "De Cleating" tackles that he was famous for at NDSU.

meangene
07-31-2010, 03:25 AM
As the Post article points out, Mays is ILB depth and a major special teams contributor. Haggan is going to be relieved of some of his special teams duties after being moved inside as the starter. Don't forget too that Reid is questionable for the start of the season and that creates a major special teams void. Looks like Smith and / or Baker must be performing well to unload Arrington this early. Good news for my adopt-a-Bronco, Baker!

UberBroncoMan
07-31-2010, 04:37 AM

Brian Westbrook *cough* :P?

Broncos_OTM
07-31-2010, 05:25 AM

you have to figure something is in the works. Linebacker it seemed to me to be pretty deep.

Hogan11
07-31-2010, 06:51 AM

It's shocking to me too....I guess you really can get something for nothing every now and then.

WolfpackGuy
07-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Toney Baker will suprise a lot of people he was in a terrible situation in Raleigh. NC States offensive line was good awful, and Toney never got a chance to make anything happen. He was constantly getting hit behind the line of scrimage because guys would miss blocking assignments. Thats why he ended up getting hurt so early and missing almost two seasons of ball. I think he is a low expectation high ceiling player that will impress a lot of people. I would not be suprised if Josh saw something he liked out of this kid and felt JJ was expendable.

Baker can play, but he's had a helluva time staying healthy.

He was one of the top HS backs in the country coming into college.

JCMElway
07-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Wow, an ILB who seems to have everything but prototypical size, and he's a second year player. That's a great deal for us.

Cito Pelon
07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Wow, that's pretty interesting. Denver and Philly are getting cozy as trade partners. Wasn't Philly involved in the Scheffler deal?

Sounds like a good young guy to add to the roster.

bpc
07-31-2010, 09:08 AM
I think McDermott (philly DC, i think that's his name) and McDaniels are close. Sure they needed a depth swap and it made sense for both parties.

I'm happy we flipped Arrington in this trade. Mays has better upside than just a special teams contributor. Love the way he plays downhill.

Hamrob
07-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Hopefully Mays can contribute on special teams. To me, it seems that he has cement feet. He's a straight line type of guy who is too thick to bend his hips effectively enough to not get juked out of his shorts. Nate Webster without the helmet flying off?

Arrington probably would not have made the team.

Cito Pelon
07-31-2010, 10:26 AM
A 5'11 bowling ball that shoots gaps can be used as a fullback also. Just a thought . . .

TonyR
07-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I think from Philly's perspective this is just a case of them getting a potential 6th round pick for a player they planned to cut anyway.

yerner
07-31-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm sure he can compete with Haggan. That dude blows.

Requiem
07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Joe Mays is the best ever. He broke my hand when he shook it one time.

broncosteven
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM

Do you think they let him rest a week or 2 then bring him in or are they actively trying to sign Westbrook so he doesn't miss too many camp snaps?

oubronco
07-31-2010, 01:00 PM

I think it's more like they like Baker more

gyldenlove
07-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow, an ILB who seems to have everything but prototypical size, and he's a second year player. That's a great deal for us.

Well considering he is so good that after the Eagles starting MLB went down in camp last year he took over starting but was quickly supplanted by Omar Gaither and then the Eagles made a panic trade for Will Witherspoon just to make sure he didn't have to play defense. Lets not make Mays more than he is, a player on the fringe of the regular season roster with some special teams upside.

UberBroncoMan
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Do you think they let him rest a week or 2 then bring him in or are they actively trying to sign Westbrook so he doesn't miss too many camp snaps?

He needs to learn the offense. If we sign him now I expect him to not participate in two a days (just like many of the other vets last year).

UberBroncoMan
07-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I think it's more like they like Baker more

That would be awesome of one of our young RB's was surprising everyone and gave this team a better chance to win than with Westbrook.

illbroncsfn
07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
As the Post article points out, Mays is ILB depth and a major special teams contributor. Haggan is going to be relieved of some of his special teams duties after being moved inside as the starter. Don't forget too that Reid is questionable for the start of the season and that creates a major special teams void. Looks like Smith and / or Baker must be performing well to unload Arrington this early. Good news for my adopt-a-Bronco, Baker!

I believe that the Mays move is more of an indictment on Reid's health than anything else.....

mwill07
07-31-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm hearing that Mays may not have made the 53 man roster in Philly, so the deal works out for them. If we end up giving a 6th round, that's fine too because Mays being in for all of camp and getting him acclimated to what we want to do with him this year is just fine.

Swedish Extrovert
07-31-2010, 06:16 PM
5-11 ughhhh

I love those short, stout ILBs, that get low and drive through their tackles... Al Wilson, anyone?

Edit - I'm not comparing this guy to Al Wilson, but I am saying that height is the most overrated aspect for football players, especially linebackers - it helps some positions like DE, NT, WR, TE, QB... but I like those short, stout guys at LB.

errand
07-31-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm sure everyone in Philly is asking the same thing about Arrington.

errand
07-31-2010, 06:44 PM
5-11 ughhhh

Al Wilson was 6'...Zach Thomas was 5'11".....Jamie Winborn was too.

uplink
07-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Here is my raw unsubstantiated speculation on the signing:

1) from HEAV's video post it seems Mays played a lot last year vs. the Pats and Jets
2) the Pats may have noticed this guy's play against them and maybe the Jets (as they watch Jets film closely). If you look at the video when they show the stats, Philly's D was dominating the game at that point.
3) a McD connection with the Pats turned him on to this guy and Philly was willing to make a deal. So the initiator of the deal may have been the broncos getting a guy they targeted.

DenverBrit
07-31-2010, 09:05 PM
5-11 ughhhh

Elvis!!

Drek
08-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Sensible deal all around.

Philly obviously wasn't going to keep Mays, they have a lot of MLB depth battling it out and Mays just doesn't fit as a 4-3 MLB since he doesn't have the speed and agility to cover down field. Getting anything for him is a win for them.

Meanwhile we add a 25 year old special teams contributor who should fit in well as a two down run stuffing ILB (exactly what we're looking to pair DJ with). Haggan and Ayodele aren't getting any younger.

This lets Larsen just focus on being the starting FB and puts some young depth behind the SILB, since Woodyard makes a solid backup to DJ but he should never be used as an interior run stuffer.

misturanderson
08-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah this sucks, NDSU is basically Metro State in Green Bay Packers uniforms.

Good call, moron. Because everybody knows that all of the good players in the NFL came from NCAA teams that were national title contenders.

Soul-Bronco
08-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Sensible deal all around.

Philly obviously wasn't going to keep Mays, they have a lot of MLB depth battling it out and Mays just doesn't fit as a 4-3 MLB since he doesn't have the speed and agility to cover down field. Getting anything for him is a win for them.

Meanwhile we add a 25 year old special teams contributor who should fit in well as a two down run stuffing ILB (exactly what we're looking to pair DJ with). Haggan and Ayodele aren't getting any younger.

This lets Larsen just focus on being the starting FB and puts some young depth behind the SILB, since Woodyard makes a solid backup to DJ but he should never be used as an interior run stuffer.

I think we are all forgetting about Akin ayodele. Living in Miami, the one oclock games are almost always the fins games here and ive seen him play alot. He is gonna provide some good depth on the inside

*WARHORSE*
08-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Err.............can we have Arrington back? We were just kidding.

BMarsh615
09-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Eagles cut RB J.J. Arrington, according to @JasonLaCanfora (https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora). Broncos LB Joe Mays should make the team, so guess Broncos won that trade.

https://twitter.com/PostBroncos/status/22912056471

Dr. Broncenstein
09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I will laugh for a good six minutes if we sign him again.

The Joker
09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Bring him in!!

BMarsh615
09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
The #Eagles (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Eagles) releasing Arrington means they get that 2012 6th round pick from Denver for Joe Mays.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/22912129860

The Joker
09-03-2010, 12:05 PM
The #Eagles (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Eagles) releasing Arrington means they get that 2012 6th round pick from Denver for Joe Mays.

SoCal is going to freak.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Yeah, but we have an epic lulz oppertunity. Come on McD. DO IT FOR TEH LULZ!!!!11!!

_Oro_
09-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Joe Mays > Next year's 6th round pick. (Unless we were going to pick the next Tom B)

Paladin
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Joe Mays > Next year's 6th round pick. (Unless we were going to pick the next Tom B)

Maybe.

Cox was picked in the 6th.....

You just never know......

Shoemaker
09-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Maybe.

Cox was picked in the 6th.....

You just never know......

5th round, actually. Not that it matters much.

Honestly, though it would be hilarious, I'd almost be okay with bringing Arrington in for yet another look.

Assuming his legs are functioning, could he really be worse than Lance Ball or Bruce Hall?

gyldenlove
09-03-2010, 12:21 PM

What is the date where you are?

Popps
09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
The #Eagles (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Eagles) releasing Arrington means they get that 2012 6th round pick from Denver for Joe Mays.]

Oh boy, the draft geeks aren't going to like this. Get the Kleenex ready.

The MVPlaya
09-03-2010, 12:25 PM
5th round, actually. Not that it matters much.

Honestly, though it would be hilarious, I'd almost be okay with bringing Arrington in for yet another look.

Assuming his legs are functioning, could he really be worse than Lance Ball or Bruce Hall?

You mean the Lance Ball that has averaged 5.2 ypc on 23 attempts this pre-season? You mean the one McDaniels said has been the most reliable on 3rd down?

Mr.Meanie
09-03-2010, 12:28 PM
a 2012 6th rounder for Joe Mays is a freaking steal. Wow, nicely done FO!

TonyR
09-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Why are people surprised by this? It was fairly clear from the beginning this is what the Eagles intended to do.

Garcia Bronco
09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Oh boy, the draft geeks aren't going to like this. Get the Kleenex ready.

That means it's worth an 8th round draft pick in 2010

MABroncoFan
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
So we now have no 5th or 6th rounder next year then. 5th went for Thompson and Kirlew.

outdoor_miner
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
So we now have no 5th or 6th rounder next year then. 5th went for Thompson and Kirlew.

It's a 6th in 2012, not 2011.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
No 5th or 6th next year as was just stated.

No 6th in '12 for Mays and an undisclosed pick that also that can be no higher than a 4th for Quinn.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
It's a 6th in 2012, not 2011.

Cleveland holds Denver's '11 6th round pick for Quinn.

baja
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
so what were we to get if Mays didn't make the team, that's what I want to know.

broncocalijohn
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I will laugh for a good six minutes if we sign him again.

You must have pee'd your pants all day when we signed Chad Mustard for the umpteenth time.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
You must have pee'd your pants all day when we signed Chad Mustard for the umpteenth time.

The weekly trials and tribulations of Chad Mustard were amusing, but the guy at least saw some action in a Broncos uniform. Arrington is a ghost.