PDA

View Full Version : shanahan on 87.7fm

titan
07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Les Shapiro interviewed Mike Shanahan today on the new denver sports radio station (87.7 fm). A summary -

What's up with albert haynesworth?

He's ready to go. He looks in shape.

How do you feel about donovan mcnabb?

His record in philly speaks for itself. He's a great great athlete,
a natural leader, and he has alot of confidence in his ability. He has
the lowest interception rate ever from an NFL quarterback. And he can make plays with his legs.

How are the Redskins at running back?

We have good depth with proven nfl players They all did a good job in the off season program

What was the biggest change from being away from football for a year?

It was a good break. I found there are alot of people
who work everyday - there was nobody to do things with (laughs)

On your old team, the broncos, some of the key young players you acquired (cutler, marshall, scheffler) have been traded away. How do you feel about that?

It's hard to walk in somebody else's shoes. Everybody has
a philosophy - Josh has his own style. We had a zone blocking system and good young talent - we thought we were headed in the right direction that last year. It will take josh some time to get the personnel he wants to fit his system.

How is your son doing as the offensive coordinator?

He's been around football all his life. He was on the sidelines during
the super bowl years. He has a great background. The last couple of years
when calling plays for gary (kubiak) houston's offense was #1. He has some great insights and philosophies. We are working with his ideas and some things we've done in the past in Denver. i feel good of where we are at

The broncos and redskins each have a long sellout streak. You are walking into another pro town with a college atmosphere.

I'm looking forward to it. Playing our opener sunday night with dallas at home will be exciting. I feel very fortunate to be in a town with great tradition and fans, very similar to denver.

oubronco
07-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Shanny the class act

colonelbeef
07-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Redskins went from having the worst coach with the worst QB in the division to the best combo overnight, their fans must be pretty excited.

Irish Stout
07-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I tip my hat to Shanny. Love that guy!

May we see you in the Super Bowl.

Go Broncos!

jhns
07-29-2010, 02:43 PM
I miss Shanahan. I wish he would have found himself a good d coordinator before he got fired. I think that offense and a guy like Nolan controlling the defense could have won a lot of games. It is hard to accept the way this team now deals with players after having a pro like Shanahan around for so long.

TonyR
07-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll be rooting for them but the Skins probably won't finish better than 3rd place in the NFC East, and possibly 4th.

Chris
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Cry

Cryyy

Cryyyyyyyyyying over you

Smiling Assassin27
07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
He's ready to go. He looks in shape.

Word is he failed his conditioning test. But hey, it took Cody 3 times to pass his, so Al oughta get it right in, say, 4 more tries.

Hogan11
07-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Shanahan may be the HC and McNabb may be the QB, but Snyder is still the owner and that will always equal FAIL.

outdoor_miner
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM
It is hard to accept the way this team now deals with players after having a pro like Shanahan around for so long.

You're right. Shanahan neverhad conflicts with players or coaches. LOL

Here's the difference: when Shanahan experienced a conflict, he was afforded the benefit of the doubt from you and most other fans. Portis was a prima-dona. Coyer and Bates "had to go". etc. etc. etc.

crush17
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
another trap set by Jhiz face.

errand
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I miss Shanahan. I wish he would have found himself a good d coordinator before he got fired. .

wasn't his refusal to fire his defensive coordinator the main issue with Bowlen when he fired Mike? Personally a 24-24 record the last 3 years was reason enough to send him packing.

Tombstone RJ
07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
I miss Shanahan. I wish he would have found himself a good d coordinator before he got fired. I think that offense and a guy like Nolan controlling the defense could have won a lot of games. It is hard to accept the way this team now deals with players after having a pro like Shanahan around for so long.

You can always go be a skins fan. Actually, I encourage you to leave for greener pastures. The sun never sets on Mike Shanahan, please follow him out the door...

crush17
07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
You can always go be a skins fan. Actually, I encourage you to leave for greener pastures. The sun never sets on Mike Shanahan, please follow him out the door...

SERIOUSLY.

Go be a ****ing Redskins, Dolphins, Bears, or Lions fan you worthless pile of steaming sh1t.

DarkHorse30
07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I'll be rooting for them but the Skins probably won't finish better than 3rd place in the NFC East, and possibly 4th.

Maybe....but I suspect that the QB who went to Oakland (irony of ironies) won't be missed.

I dislike the skins because they destroyed my team in a SB....but I've always like Gibbs and am a big fan of Shanahan. He will coach this team to 1st place. Watch. That first game is now on my list of must watch games this fall.

bombay
07-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I hope Shanny does well in Washington.

I also want the Broncos to win a playoff game before the next decade goes by.

Hogan11
07-29-2010, 06:43 PM
I dislike the skins because they destroyed my team in a SB

Dislike?

They're forever damned in my book for that and I don't care who the HC is.

KipCorrington25
07-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Super Bowl winning coaches are rarely ever able to duplicate the feat elsewhere, Shula and ???????

DarkHorse30
07-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Dislike?

They're forever damned in my book for that and I don't care who the HC is.

Give credit where credit is due. The Broncos were BEATEN. They didn't have a blown call beat them.....they were destroyed by a better team-who were coached by a BETTER coach. Blaming the other coach is kind of "raiderish" if you asked me.

DBroncos4life
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Bowl winning coaches are rarely ever able to duplicate the feat elsewhere, Shula and ???????

Mike Holmgrem has taken a couple teams to the SB.

Steve Sewell
07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
I miss the old OMane. It is hard to accept the way this forum is now that bad trolls like jhns are allowed to hijack every decent thread.

:wave:

BigPlayShay
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM

Shula - Colts (L), Dolphins (2x W, L)
Reeves - Broncos (3x L), Falcons (L)
Parcells - Giants (2x W), Patriots (L)
Holmgren - Packers (W, L), Seahawks (L)
Vermiel - Eagles (L), Rams (W)

uplink
07-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Shanny is the most boring interviewer, not a single unexpected thing comes out of his mouth.

Los Broncos
07-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Shanny is the most boring interviewer, not a single unexpected thing comes out of his mouth.

Well we didn't get a "obviously when you have a guy"

jhns
07-30-2010, 05:53 AM
wasn't his refusal to fire his defensive coordinator the main issue with Bowlen when he fired Mike? Personally a 24-24 record the last 3 years was reason enough to send him packing.

I agree with everything you are saying. If I were Bowlen, I would have fired him just for saying he wasn't going to fire his coordinator.

You're right. Shanahan neverhad conflicts with players or coaches. LOL

Here's the difference: when Shanahan experienced a conflict, he was afforded the benefit of the doubt from you and most other fans. Portis was a prima-dona. Coyer and Bates "had to go". etc. etc. etc.

LOL. So now they handle stuff the same? What? If McDaniels was in charge of the Skins, they would be missing one of their best players right now. They would get crap compensation by going after picks. I can prove this is true because it has happened multiple times on this team already. Sure, Shanahan has problem players. He also gets all pros that don't set the team back. He replaces one of the best players on the team with a player that was the difference in our one playoff win.

Shanahan does a lot of things way different than McDaniels. If you don't see it, fine. I don't agree with you. I liked Shanahans methods a lot more.

Ray Finkle
07-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Ran into Shanny at a Starbucks in Ashburn the other week. I said hello and that I was a Bronco fan and appreciated his years here. He said thank you....always a class act.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-30-2010, 06:25 AM
I agree with everything you are saying. If I were Bowlen, I would have fired him just for saying he wasn't going to fire his coordinator.

LOL. So now they handle stuff the same? What? If McDaniels was in charge of the Skins, they would be missing one of their best players right now. They would get crap compensation by going after picks. I can prove this is true because it has happened multiple times on this team already. Sure, Shanahan has problem players. He also gets all pros that don't set the team back. He replaces one of the best players on the team with a player that was the difference in our one playoff win.

Shanahan does a lot of things way different than McDaniels. If you don't see it, fine. I don't agree with you. I liked Shanahans methods a lot more.

Holy ****, you're an obnoxious piece of ****. The only one who doesn't see it is you.

jhns
07-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Holy ****, you're an obnoxious piece of ****. The only one who doesn't see it is you.

I give my opinions. It isn't my fault they make you cry.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-30-2010, 06:35 AM
I give my idiotic opinions. It isn't my fault they make you laugh at me.

/fixed

jhns
07-30-2010, 06:38 AM
/fixed

Laugh? You have been crying in two threads now. It is no wonder you put me on ignore so much.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Laugh? You have been crying in two threads now. It is no wonder you put me on ignore so much.

Hmmmm... yesterday you said you never bring up anyone else's ignore list.

So weird...

:rofl:

jhns
07-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Hmmmm... yesterday you said you never bring up anyone else's ignore list.

So weird...

:rofl:

I didn't to that point. Do you have proof otherwise?

You are funny when you get upset.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-30-2010, 06:52 AM

English please.

You are owned. Go make me a sandwich.

jhns
07-30-2010, 06:56 AM
English please.

You are owned. Go make me a sandwich.

You mad.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-30-2010, 06:57 AM

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2887399&postcount=77

Jhizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz means what he says and says what he means... but has trouble saying what he said.

You were saying?

jhns
07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2887399&postcount=77

Jhizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz means what he says and says what he means... but has trouble saying what he said.

You were saying?

That is from before I said that? Interesting.

I was saying your childish temper tantrum shows that you are mad. Has that not been clear?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-30-2010, 07:04 AM
That is from before I said that? Interesting.

I was saying your childish temper tantrum shows that you are mad. Has that not been clear?

Turkey, cheese (preferably a white cheese... a Havarti or Swiss), lettuce & tomato, on a multi-grain bread.

And toast it.

Thanks, bitch.

Rabb
07-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Can we please not derail yet another thread with you 2?

It's seriously worse than spam

jhns
07-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Can we please not derail yet another thread with you 2?

It's seriously worse than spam

You want to discuss the thread topic? I'm listening. I already gave my opinions. I am willing to discuss yours.

Rabb
07-30-2010, 07:14 AM
You want to discuss the thread topic? I'm listening. I already gave my opinions. I am willing to discuss yours.

No, with you I don't but I also don't want to read you two measuring dicks again. I am not replying to you anymore but out of respect for the rest of the site I would hope you 2 would just stop or at least contain it in one place.

Ruining every thread is spamming. Carry on.

jhns
07-30-2010, 07:18 AM
No, with you I don't but I also don't want to read you two measuring ***** again. I am not replying to you anymore but out of respect for the rest of the site I would hope you 2 would just stop or at least contain it in one place.

Ruining every thread is spamming. Carry on.

A little over dramatic are we? I have only posted in two threads over the last three days of people complaining I ruin every thread. One of those two threads is this one and I didn't post in it but once yesterday and now the posts today. This forum is just filled with drama queens.

"I don't care to discuss the thread or anything, I just like to whine."

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-30-2010, 07:20 AM
A little over dramatic are we? I have only posted in two threads over the last three days of people complaining I ruin every thread. One of those two threads is this one and I didn't post in it but once yesterday and now the posts today. This forum is just filled with drama queens.

"I don't care to discuss the thread or anything, I just like to whine."

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:wuGdeQS6CwVRJM:http://blogs.babycenter.com/momformation/files/2009/11/mirror.jpg&t=1

jhns
07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:wuGdeQS6CwVRJM:http://blogs.babycenter.com/momformation/files/2009/11/mirror.jpg&t=1

Says the guy responsible for derailing the threads. I know I helped by replying to you but my posts were on topic before your whining in both threads that I have been posting in. I enjoy rubbing it in when you get real upset about an opinion though.

BroncoBuff
07-30-2010, 07:27 AM
He's a great great athlete, a natural leader, and he has alot of confidence in his ability. He has the lowest interception rate ever from an NFL quarterback. And he can make plays with his legs.

Can this be right?

Whatever, Shanahan never says anything to the media anyway.

TonyR
07-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Can this be right?

I could see it. It's funny though that the knock on him in the media here is that he didn't take enough risks. Played too careful.

Cito Pelon
07-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Can this be right?

2.1% INT ratio. That's pretty low. 216 TD passes, 100 INT's. That's a pretty good spread.

OTOH, perhaps it's just a matter of everybody wanting a black QB to do well. You never know with these stinking liberals. ;D

DivineLegion
07-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Can this be right?

Yes it is correct. Fewest Interceptions per attempt out of all of the active QBs.

BroncoBuff
07-30-2010, 07:53 AM
2.1% INT ratio. That's pretty low. 216 TD passes, 100 INT's. That's a pretty good spread.

OTOH, perhaps it's just a matter of everybody wanting a black QB to do well. You never know with these stinking liberals. ;D

LOL touche.

I would've bet the farm Steve Young was a good bit lower ... I suppose the Tampa years took their toll on his career numbers.

What's the deal with McNabb? The Rodney Dangerfield of pro football.

LRtagger
07-30-2010, 08:23 AM

The biggest problem Marshall had with the Broncos happened under Mike.

Hogan11
07-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Give credit where credit is due. The Broncos were BEATEN. They didn't have a blown call beat them.....they were destroyed by a better team-who were coached by a BETTER coach. Blaming the other coach is kind of "raiderish" if you asked me.

Uh, who's blaming the other coach? ???

All I said was that I hold the teams that beat Denver in the super bowl (DAL, WSN, NYG & SF) in the same contempt that I hold it's AFC West Rivals. It's irrelevent who the HC or players were/are.

When it comes to football, I hold grudges...if that's "raiderish" then I'm guilty as charged.

jhns
07-30-2010, 08:32 AM

No coach can stop a player from having problems. I was talking about the way they deal with those problems.

Irish Stout
07-30-2010, 09:03 AM

For as much as I liked and respected Shanny I had a lot of issues with his player management. Losing guys like Atwater and Pryce never made sense to me. The handling of some of the QBs during the post Elway years - Brister v. Griese, Plummer on the hot seat after taking the team to the first playoff victory.

There was some indication that players were unsatisfied in the locker room with Shanny's player handling, including comments by Lynch and his departure and the book by Fatsis. Though it is hard to determine what the facts really are there.

Then there were things showing Shanny's lack of discipline on players (which I think was a lot more common throughout the league 5 years ago) with the Kircus Circus, BMarsh, and a few drunk driving issues.

Hulamau
07-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Thats a big reason he lost the attention of the players here the last few years as well. The same old platitudes over and over got stale. Seems like he is trying to make a few changes and apparently is even copying Josh some as well (3-4 D and player conditioning tests, etc) and maybe he'll have a fresh group of ears now for his motivation speeches?

I much appreciate Shanny for his years of service here ... and am glad he's with Washington now as well.

outdoor_miner
07-30-2010, 10:12 AM
For as much as I liked and respected Shanny I had a lot of issues with his player management. Losing guys like Atwater and Pryce never made sense to me. The handling of some of the QBs during the post Elway years - Brister v. Griese, Plummer on the hot seat after taking the team to the first playoff victory.

There was some indication that players were unsatisfied in the locker room with Shanny's player handling, including comments by Lynch and his departure and the book by Fatsis. Though it is hard to determine what the facts really are there.

Then there were things showing Shanny's lack of discipline on players (which I think was a lot more common throughout the league 5 years ago) with the Kircus Circus, BMarsh, and a few drunk driving issues.

Good post. This is exactly what I meant with my previous post. I loved Shanahan. He was/is a great coach, and I will always appreciate the Super Bowls he brought to Denver. However, he had his own issues with managing players and egos, and there were cetainly moves made that did not sit well with the player involved.

Irish Stout
07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Good post. This is exactly what I meant with my previous post. I loved Shanahan. He was/is a great coach, and I will always appreciate the Super Bowls he brought to Denver. However, he had his own issues with managing players and egos, and there were cetainly moves made that did not sit well with the player involved.

Yeah... The thing was is that Shanny did enough here early on in his career to allow himself to have those ego battles and win every time.

It will be interesting to see what the McD chapter is when we get further into the future. Will we look back at Marshall and Cutler as absolute mistakes of a young hard headed coach or will we be able to still say: "They had to go, they were head cases for Denver." Right now, I think a lot of people agree Marshall was more trouble than he was worth and those of us who are able to comprehend fact from fiction can see that Cutler was more of an ego battle between Bowlen and Jay than McD.... but I really think the draft picks we got from Jay will have to pan out for McD to ever be painted in a good light on that transaction.

Cito Pelon
07-30-2010, 11:29 AM
LOL touche.

I would've bet the farm Steve Young was a good bit lower ... I suppose the Tampa years took their toll on his career numbers.

Smiles too much. The smile-cannon.

TonyR
07-30-2010, 11:37 AM

Yes, to a degree. But he choked in some big games, lost 4 NFC Championship Games (2 as a home favorite), and was never considered much of a leader. Most Eagles fans are surprisingly content with him being gone.

crush17
07-30-2010, 11:43 AM
No coach can stop a player from having problems. I was talking about the way they deal with those problems.

Oh so you like how he gives his coke head, baby having, malcontents "lie detector" tests to prove themselves?

Is that how you want things to operate?

Give me a freaking break.

Cito Pelon
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM

It may seem shallow, but what got me disgusted about Shanny was his constant shilling on local TV and radio. I got tired of seeing his face and hearing his voice every 10 minutes.

"I like Shane Diamond exchange. They treated me like a real customer."

"I like Burt Chevrolet. They treated me like a real customer."

"I like Crossroads Toyota. They treated me like a real customer."

Christ, it just went on and on and on. There was no escaping from him. Hell, I was happy to see him go so I didn't have to listen to his excruciating commercials anymore. There was no escape from the pedantic drone, unless you're gonna listen to PBS all the time.

crush17
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
It may seem shallow, but what got me disgusted about Shanny was his constant shilling on local TV and radio. I got tired of seeing his face and hearing his voice every 10 minutes.

Christ, it just went on and on and on. There was no escaping from him. Hell, I was happy to see him go so I didn't have to listen to his excruciating commercials anymore. There was no escape from the pedantic drone, unless you're gonna listen to PBS all the time.

Hey, lets all go to his restaurant! lol

Irish Stout
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

Friggin diamond/jewlrey commercials are all friggin terrible. But alas, since I have moved back to Denver, I have noticed that they aren't quite as bad without him.

LRtagger
07-30-2010, 03:06 PM

Making him play while injured? That is what I was referring to, not his personal problems.

He did the same thing with Al Wilson and we all know how that ended.

Cito Pelon
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey, lets all go to his restaurant! lol

Thank god Bowlen fired him, I hate to think how often I'd hear "We like Bronco fans at our awesome restaraunt", delivered in that dead voice. And the dude doesn't have any back teeth, how's he gonna evaluate a steak with no back teeth?

TonyR
07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Shanahan's tactics could cause players to rally around Haynesworth
Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2010 12:00 PM ET

As Redskins coach Mike Shanahan continues to rub defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth's face in the mess the player created by not showing up for offseason workouts, Shanahan runs the risk of alienating other players on the team -- and/or causing them to change their feelings about the player who previously had become a $100 million pariah.

Jason Reid of the Washington Post reports that some players privately have expressed concern that Shanahan is trying to make an example of Haynesworth. Unnamed team officials have conceded to Reid that Haynesworth is "clearly in shape" after losing 35 pounds in the offseason.

Reid also reports that Redskins players who failed to attend 50 percent of the offseason workouts are required to take the conditioning test. Again, this justification has no relevance to the stated purpose of the test -- to ensure that the player is ready to participate in training camp without being injured.

Under that reasoning, every player should be required to pass the test before setting foot onto the practice field.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time Shanahan singled a guy out. Said one source with knowledge of Shanahan's tactics, "What's happening to Haynesworth is exactly how he's handled a hundred other situations like that."

We've got a feeling that specific examples of Shanahan's tactics with the Broncos will surface soon, now that he's out of Denver and back in the league.

We've also got a feeling that Shanahan's specific end game as it relates to Haynesworth is to provoke the volatile player to say or do something that will allow the team to pursue the recovery of all or part of the $21 million he received on April 1.

Along the way, Shanahan could lose a sizable chunk of the locker room.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/30/shanahans-tactics-could-cause-players-to-rally-around-haynesworth/