PDA

View Full Version : Drama Dez does Dallas. It begins.

521 1N5
07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/25/dez-bryant-wont-carry-roy-williams-pads/

Dez Bryant won't carry Roy Williams' pads

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 25, 2010 8:39 PM ET

NFL rookies are often required to carry veterans' pads as a sort of training camp hazing ritual. But Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant wants no part of it.

Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com reports that Roy Williams gave his pads to Bryant today, and Bryant refused to carry them.

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

Bryant says this isn't a case of a first-round pick thinking he's above an NFL tradition. Instead, it's about a player who says he won't tolerate being treated badly.

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing," Bryant said. "I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

But Williams says Bryant was wrong to refuse his request.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie. I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

Although the Cowboys' decision to draft Bryant was widely viewed as a sign that the team is less than thrilled with Williams' performance, both Bryant and Williams have steadfastly insisted that there's no bad blood between them. That stance of unity between Bryant and Williams lasted through all of two days of training camp.

UPDATE: After seeing this item, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman weighed in on Twitter about what Williams' next step should be.

Shawne Merriman is a f-a-g

:curtsey:

That One Guy
07-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Eh, whether the hazing is friendly natured in carrying pads or much worse, it's still hazing. One should not be compelled.

When I was in the military, I adamantly refused the blood rank. For those not familiar, that's where they take off the backs off your rank and everyone pounds it into your skin, pulls it out, then repeats. I refused to partake in hazing and some looked down upon my refusal.

If he didn't want to participate, I commend him for refusing. He better not try to make rookies carry his gear in the future though.

521 1N5
07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't have a take on hazing. I mean whatever, but I think it's funny how he's already on the fast track to being the biggest queen ever. Look at all the controversy surrounding this guy. It's inevitable.

DivineBronco
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
its going to be interesting to see Dez deal with miles austin getting more touches then him many games I smell a melt down

That One Guy
07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't have a take on hazing. I mean whatever, but I think it's funny how he's already on the fast track to being the biggest queen ever. Look at all the controversy surrounding this guy. It's inevitable.

But people are so desperate for drama from the guy that anything is seen as the start of it all. What if a guy without those same questions had raised the point? If Jake Long had come in and refused to be part of their rituals, would it have been his diva act coming out?

He may still be a queen but it's the same as Jamarcus' situation not too long ago, in my opinion. People were so set on seeing his self-destruction that the world went crazy because he was arrested over some cough syrup. There may be more to this one and Jamarcus' situation but people love it when they see what they've predicted would happen.

Kid A
07-25-2010, 09:08 PM
This is why you can never really buy that these guys who were clowns in college will be able to suddenly "turn it around" or "mature" in the pros. Sure they say they will, they may even believe it and make something of an effort and avoid making a major, obvious gaff.

But more often than not being a dumbass is just ingrained in problem guys like Bryant, and little scenarios like this one (which agents/mentors/etc probably haven't forseen to coach him on) come up, his actual lack of humility and intelligence shine through.

Kid A
07-25-2010, 09:11 PM
But people are so desperate for drama from the guy that anything is seen as the start of it all. What if a guy without those same questions had raised the point? If Jake Long had come in and refused to be part of their rituals, would it have been his diva act coming out?

He may still be a queen but it's the same as Jamarcus' situation not too long ago, in my opinion. People were so set on seeing his self-destruction that the world went crazy because he was arrested over some cough syrup. There may be more to this one and Jamarcus' situation but people love it when they see what they've predicted would happen.

Probably true, but it's all the more reason for him not to take this silly stand. If he had half a brain in him he would know the media would jump all over these kinds of quotes by him. But he displays exactly what you would expect from someone with rap for being a dumb immature kid, and starts acting stubborn on day 2 of camp. He's got so much talent and so much opportunity ahead of him that I hope he isn't really as stupid as he is seeming.

That One Guy
07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Probably true, but it's all the more reason for him not to take this silly stand. If he had half a brain in him he would know the media would jump all over these kinds of quotes by him. But he displays exactly what you would expect from someone with rap for being a dumb immature kid, and starts acting stubborn on day 2 of camp. He's got so much talent and so much opportunity ahead of him that I hope he isn't really as stupid as he is seeming.

The stand on principles is subjective and what seems petty to one person may be important enough to another. He probably could've found a way to be more obscure and avoided the question but at least he answered it in a way that wasn't "I'm as good as he is. I shouldn't have to carry his pads. I think I'm better so maybe he should carry mine.".

ShutDownPoster
07-25-2010, 09:51 PM
great start - at least they're not on NFL Hard Knocks

Killericon
07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.

What would "step two" be?"We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room."

Yesssss.

DBroncos4life
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Williams should just shut up and do his job. He might not suck so much if he put in the extra work and carried his own ****.

RhymesayersDU
07-25-2010, 10:08 PM
The guy is stupid, and here's why. We all get mad about things. We have lifelong friends who have a quirk, a significant other who maybe does something to irritate us. Happens probably daily.

Do we start fights daily? No. We pick our spots. We let things slide, we fight on other things. I think this is a ridiculously stupid thing to fight on. Carry the guy's pads and be done with it.

DenverBroncosJM
07-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Eh, whether the hazing is friendly natured in carrying pads or much worse, it's still hazing. One should not be compelled.

When I was in the military, I adamantly refused the blood rank. For those not familiar, that's where they take off the backs off your rank and everyone pounds it into your skin, pulls it out, then repeats. I refused to partake in hazing and some looked down upon my refusal.

If he didn't want to participate, I commend him for refusing. He better not try to make rookies carry his gear in the future though.

Sorry there is vast difference from what you described and carrying someones pads 2 blocks

SouthStndJunkie
07-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I was impressed that Dez signed early and was the first of the 1st round picks to sign.

He should have sucked it up and carried the pads, it's not like he was asked to perform some inhumane act....carrying pads is about as gentle as it gets hazing-wise.

Rookies in training camp need to shut their mouths and be seen and not heard.

Focus on the task at hand and get your revenge on Roy Williams by taking his job from him.

Garcia Bronco
07-26-2010, 05:28 AM
He's already proved to be mentally weak.

Dedhed
07-26-2010, 05:51 AM

I think that's exactly the point. Guys without the drama queen attitude don't refuse. They get it.

jhns
07-26-2010, 06:09 AM

I thank you for your service. I also will say that you are a bitch.

What is funny is people here cry about how Cutler and Marshalls attitudes hurt the team and then last week were saying we made a mistake not drafting this little douche. You guys can't even stay somewhat consistent in what you say. It is kind of funny but also makes Bronco fans look like a bunch of dumbasses.

Ratboy
07-26-2010, 06:23 AM

I bet you jumped at the chance to tack/pin someone on though.

Rugby7
07-26-2010, 06:41 AM

Maybe you shouldn't place your self above everyone else on your team or that has gone before you. If the tradition was shaking hands you probably would not have declined. You shouldn't carry your low tolerance for pain as a badge of honor.

Rabb
07-26-2010, 07:08 AM
The guy is stupid, and here's why. We all get mad about things. We have lifelong friends who have a quirk, a significant other who maybe does something to irritate us. Happens probably daily.

Do we start fights daily? No. We pick our spots. We let things slide, we fight on other things. I think this is a ridiculously stupid thing to fight on. Carry the guy's pads and be done with it.

this, exactly...great post

whether people like it or not, rookie hazing is part of the program and by doing this he is once again demonstrating that his personal wants are above the team's

it is a minor thing to battle over, and he is making a mistake by doing it this early with something so trivial

being late in college, crap like this...they all just display that his needs are above anyone elses needs which will not equate to a successful career I imagine

I am so glad we passed on this douche, I have heard the defense that Williams doesn't deserve to have his pads carried which is utter bull****...he is a veteran player and Bryant is a rookie, that is the bottom line

I said it before and I am sticking to it...Bryant will be suspended for one reason or another before his 3rd year is over with

brncs_fan
07-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I think Dez will find a new set of "pads" in his locker:

http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/product_images/t/036000010039.jpg

meangene
07-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Bryant doesn't have the intelligence or character to be making a stand on principle. This is nothing more than his continued prima donna arrogant attitude. Just like when he was suspended by his team for being repeatedly late, just like when he was suspended by the NCAA for lying, just like when he showed up for his pro day out of shape and unprepared, just like when he told pro scouts he really doesn't like to run routes over the middle, just like when he takes plays off when the ball is not coming his way, just like when he decided to show up to support Pac Man on his pro day, just like when he told a half truth about being questioned by the Dolphins as to whether his mama was a prostitute, just like refusing to carry a veteran's pads like the other rookies do, just like _______ - fill in the blank. Can't wait to see what's next.

bowtown
07-26-2010, 08:13 AM
I don't think there is anythig wrong with him refusing to carry Roy William's pads, and I also think there is nothing wrong with the ten fold retaliation he will get because of it from the rest of the team. You choose to make a stand, good for you, but you better be damn ready to suffer the concequences of it... cause they be coming, Dez.

DarkHorse30
07-26-2010, 08:15 AM
This is why you can never really buy that these guys who were clowns in college will be able to suddenly "turn it around" or "mature" in the pros. Sure they say they will, they may even believe it and make something of an effort and avoid making a major, obvious gaff.

But more often than not being a dumbass is just ingrained in problem guys like Bryant, and little scenarios like this one (which agents/mentors/etc probably haven't forseen to coach him on) come up, his actual lack of humility and intelligence shine through.

bingo. Dez Bryant needs a baggage handler - funny stuff, poor Wade....I still like that guy for bringing Zimmerman and Habib to Denver... even Anthony Miller.

BroncoLifer
07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Hazing in all forms is crap -- more power to Dez.

Hogan11
07-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm usually not a defender of these guys, but you all have to ask yourselves the question: Would you carry Roy Williams pads?

Me neither.

Broncoman13
07-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Its too bad he is such a baby... b/c so far, he has been lighting up the field. All reports are that this guy is a terror on the field and could very likely have the starting job (Williams' job) by the start of the season. Some times it is best to suck up your pride and do your thing. This could get ugly and lead to more and more hazing and he really didn't need to bring this on himself. As the saying goes, Stupid is FOREVER!

yerner
07-26-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm usually not a defender of these guys, but you all have to ask yourselves the question: Would you carry Roy Williams pads?

Me neither.

Exactly. Good post. Hazing is stupidity rewarded anyways. Whatever that means.

gyldenlove
07-26-2010, 08:47 AM
There should be limits to hazing, some times it does go well above any line of decency, but carrying pads and helmets, getting water, singing school songs is harmless and a rite of passage that brings the team together.

Every society has some form of rite of passage or hazing, for some it is very minor, like passing a driving test or making out under the bleachers, those societies are often not that close knit. A football team has to be a very tight group, they go out there and put their bodies and some times health on the line for each other so it is important that the players can trust each other unconditionally.

Dez Bryant once again shows he is too stupid to follow the rules, same reason he lied to the NCAA and got suspended. He sings the right tune, but his ego is writing checks his body can't cash.

HEAV
07-26-2010, 08:54 AM
"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]." - Dez Bryant

---------

Dez is basically saying he's better than any rookie that has played the game.

Rabb
07-26-2010, 08:55 AM

Me neither.

if I were a rookie, yes

once you start justifying what vet is worthy or not...there is an issue in my opinion

I will actually be really disappointed if the other vets don't make up for what Dez did in support of Williams

just wait though, Dez will do something else soon enough to set himself apart...and not in a good way

Popps
07-26-2010, 09:12 AM

I'm honestly starting to wonder if you just take the wrong side of every argument for the sake of doing it.

You refusing some sort of physical abuse has nothing to do with a guy being asked a simple, harmless task that shows respect to his older teammates.

Popps
07-26-2010, 09:14 AM

Absolutely.

And then I'd go out on the field and outplay his ass.

It's a harmless, simple respect ritual that 99.9% of rookies take as good fun and camaraderie building.

A ***-stick like Bryant would be best worrying about making the team before he starts changing the rules of practice.

Popps
07-26-2010, 09:16 AM
By the way, it's a real goddamned stretch to call this "hazing." Carry pads? Really? That's hazing?

What about rookies showing off dance moves at mini-camp. Is that hazing, too?

Should we get the ACLU involved?

Good grief.

We play pick-up hoops on our lunch break at times. Losers have to put the cones and baskets away. I guess I should be speaking to my attorney about it.

brncs_fan
07-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Respect is not given, it is earned. You don't earn your teammate's respect by acting like you are too good to participate in something that all of them have previously done.

HEAV
07-26-2010, 09:22 AM
By the way, it's a real goddamned stretch to call this "hazing." Carry pads? Really? That's hazing?

Good grief.

We play pick-up hoops on our lunch break at times. Losers have to put the cones and baskets away. I guess I should be speaking to my attorney about it.

No S&*t. What the Broncos did to rookies last year, remember the horride hair cuts, that was hazing. The carrying of pads is a tradition of all rookies for the vets.

Dez just thinks he's above every rookie.

Taco John
07-26-2010, 09:25 AM

Good grief.

I've got to agree with this. Rookies carrying pads is a tradition that goes back to the beginning of football itself. Why make a stand over this stupid issue?

That One Guy
07-26-2010, 09:37 AM

Good grief.

When they start having their enjoyment at the cost of other players, that's when it comes to be hazing. If the players can have fun getting the haircuts, singing, carrying pads, etc then it's all part of the game. If, however, a player decides he doesn't want to participate then it should end there.

I think it'd be hillarious if they run up his credit card and he takes it to the cops.

Compelled hazing is compelled hazing. Either the person wants to play or doesn't.

That One Guy
07-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I bet you jumped at the chance to tack/pin someone on though.

I actually talked to new promotees to see what they wanted. If they wanted to participate, more power to them. If they didn't, I ensured everyone was aware and that it didn't happen.

The end of the statement you quoted said he better not try it on anyone else. That should've been an indicator of my position. Nice try though.

That One Guy
07-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe you shouldn't place your self above everyone else on your team or that has gone before you. If the tradition was shaking hands you probably would not have declined. You shouldn't carry your low tolerance for pain as a badge of honor.

Ahh, yes, the ignorance of "do what everyone else is doing". I really should apply that logic more. That's what this country really needs. Thanks for the advice.

oubronco
07-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Makes one wonder what his position on this matter will be next year when the new crop of rookies come in will he want them to carry his?

Broncoman13
07-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the whole team should ignore him. When they ask every other rookie and new player to stand in front of the team and sing and dance... Don't include him. Make him feel so out of touch that he is begging to carry someone...anyones jock strap. Give him a week of ignore and see is attitude change!

Mountain Bronco
07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow, we have a bunch of bitches that got picked on too much in High School on here. Hazing is bad waaaahhhhhaaaaa. Pussies.

Tombstone RJ
07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
If Dez wants to prove a point, he should keep his mouth shut and carry Williams pads. Now, if he wants to "take a stand" about this then next year when he's a vet then all he has to do is carry his own pads and not participate in making rooks carry his pads.

Leaders lead, whiners whine. Dez is a whiner, not a leader.

Popps
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
When they start having their enjoyment at the cost of other players, that's when it comes to be hazing. If the players can have fun getting the haircuts, singing, carrying pads, etc then it's all part of the game. If, however, a player decides he doesn't want to participate then it should end there.

If violent or demeaning, I would agree. But, carrying pads is nothing. It's football practice 101.

crush17
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Carry the pads. Don't be a girl.

Jason7730
07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I wonder what M. Irvin has to say about this? LOL! ( or Troy Aikman etc. )........

BroncoLifer
07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Carry the pads. Don't be a girl.

The flip side-------> Be a man. Carry your own pads.

Broncoman13
07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Why does someone as talented as Dez Bryant have to be a mental midget? Dude has TO like skills but TO looks like a genius when compared to Dez Bryant. So sad but I guess this world takes all sorts of people.

As for the folks that don't like to carry on traditions, military or otherwise... there is a reason there are time honored traditions. To not partake is a choice but one that prevents you from truly uniting with your fellow co-workers/troops. Not sure why anyone would choose not to participate. Carrying pads, really, what is the big deal? The haircut thing last year was way over the top but our boys rolled with the punches and I have to admit, it was pretty damn funny. I wish Branstater would have lasted to enjoy passing on his "style" to Timmy Tebow!

GreatBronco16
07-26-2010, 01:53 PM

I think it'd be hillarious if they run up his credit card and he takes it to the cops.

Compelled hazing is compelled hazing. Either the person wants to play or doesn't.

OMG, it was just to carry one extra set of pads back to the locker room.

orangenblue2
07-26-2010, 02:33 PM

Jesus H...did you ever play ball? I've played on teams my whole life, including college, and some sort of "hazing" goes on. Dez needs to show, especially at this point in his career, that he is a "teammate" first and foremost. I can guarantee you that this stunt doesn't sit well with the Cowboy veterans; all of whom have had to carry their share of pads.

PS - I seem to remember a certain Florida Gator QB, who may be one of the all-time college football greats, having no problems carrying veteran's helmets and pads off the field during OTA's. Then again, that sumb**** has some character and is a team-first kind of guy...but Bryant is way too good for that.

Popps
07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Carrying pads is not "hazing."

I'm sorry, it's just not.

Mogulseeker
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM

More like a duty. Isn't every work place like this? The new guys get the ****ty jobs.

SouthStndJunkie
07-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Agreed....it's more of a rite of passage than hazing.

Hulamau
07-26-2010, 05:14 PM
There should be limits to hazing, some times it does go well above any line of decency, but carrying pads and helmets, getting water, singing school songs is harmless and a rite of passage that brings the team together.

Every society has some form of rite of passage or hazing, for some it is very minor, like passing a driving test or making out under the bleachers, those societies are often not that close knit. A football team has to be a very tight group, they go out there and put their bodies and some times health on the line for each other so it is important that the players can trust each other unconditionally.

Dez Bryant once again shows he is too stupid to follow the rules, same reason he lied to the NCAA and got suspended. He sings the right tune, but his ego is writing checks his body can't cash.

I agree GL, this is harmless stuff to "start' earning respect and connection with the team. He isnt carrying 'Roy Williams' helmet, he's carrying the helmet of every Dallas Cowboy, and by extention every NFL player, that busted his ass for the last 50 plus years.

Right of passage stuff and once again we see more validation for why we have a smart coach in Josh for bypassing this tool, regardless of the raw talent. Josh has made FAR more right calls than questionable so far and he's still just getting warmed up!

Maybe Mike Florio will polish Dez's balls but am really glad that Bey-Bey is, and Dez isn't, a Bronco. We dont need any more prima donna headaches at the moment.

broncocalijohn
07-26-2010, 05:23 PM

exactly. It is part of the job description under ROOKIE. If you are actually on Bryant's side of this, you are one big pussy that isnt a team player. Hazing= carrying pads? Next you will tell me that singing the player's college fight song is hazing! Well, in Bryant's case, it would be since he was never around in school to know it.

Mediator12
07-26-2010, 05:42 PM
There is a tremendous difference in hazing and team building. Carrying a vet's pads is a sign that you respect the team and its traditions above yourself. Its a sign that you want to belong to the greater good of the team and NOT be a selfish, egotisitcal, narcissist that Bryant seems to be from his actions.

Bryant will learn consequences one way or the other in DAL. Step 2 will be Romo laying him out down the middle in preseason by the way ;D

Dedhed
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM

Me neither.

Would you rather carry Roy Williams' pads off the practice field or be taped to the goal post in nothing but a jock strap covered in honey to attract bees?

Uh, where were those pads Mr. Williams?

Dude's a total dolt. Destined for tooldom.

Broncobiv
07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
It would be fantastic to see a report come out later this week that detailed Dez going way up for a high pass, stretching all the way vertically, and then a veteran LB just plows through his midsection, folding him in half like a rag doll in mid-air.

You gonna carry those pads now, ROOK?

Mr. Elway
07-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Can't believe a couple people are defending the guy. OF COURSE you carry the pads. Dude obviously takes himself way too seriously. I fully expect him to be commenting on himself in the 3rd person by the end of the season.

RhymesayersDU
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
The problem with the whole hazing issue is that a couple people have taken it too far, and now people want to go the extreme other way with it. For instance here in NM, some kids in some hick town shoved a broom stick up some Freshman's ass or something. And the coaches even knew about it and looked the other way.

Stuff like that is obviously not OK. It's disgusting and nobody should be subject to it. But to say that carrying the team pads is the same as that is ridiculous. I mean, when I was playing varsity hoops in high school, the youngest guys picked up the balls at the end of the day while the older guys went and changed. Again, "hazing" perhaps by definition, but NOT the same thing.

As with many things in life, you can't just lump everything into one category or paint things with broad strokes. Use common sense.

bpc
07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Lovely. Just another case of the entitlement athletes we get to root for every day. It's getting easier and easier avoid watching these douchebags. Is it time for the lockout yet?

That One Guy
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
The problem with the whole hazing issue is that a couple people have taken it too far, and now people want to go the extreme other way with it. For instance here in NM, some kids in some hick town shoved a broom stick up some Freshman's ass or something. And the coaches even knew about it and looked the other way.

Stuff like that is obviously not OK. It's disgusting and nobody should be subject to it. But to say that carrying the team pads is the same as that is ridiculous. I mean, when I was playing varsity hoops in high school, the youngest guys picked up the balls at the end of the day while the older guys went and changed. Again, "hazing" perhaps by definition, but NOT the same thing.

As with many things in life, you can't just lump everything into one category or paint things with broad strokes. Use common sense.

Absolutely agreed. The act of carrying pads isn't really humiliating nor invading in any way. That said, we know that's not as far as the rituals go. How far into those rituals one could go before reaching unreasonable is really a personal opinion and perspective.

I will agree with the others that they hadn't reached unreasonable in simple pad carrying. I saw this as more of a protest against what had come already and what was to come as the rituals progressed. If someone doesn't want to make it to the head shaving, running up credit cards, etc. then they make the position known at the very beginning and it shouldn't progress.

And I'll also agree with the person who said this was all clumped under hazing though it probably isn't.

broncocalijohn
07-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Lovely. Just another case of the entitlement athletes we get to root for every day. It's getting easier and easier avoid watching these douchebags. Is it time for the lockout yet?

It is the Cowboys. I never watched them unless they were playing the Broncos.

Hogan11
07-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Would you rather carry Roy Williams' pads off the practice field or be taped to the goal post in nothing but a jock strap covered in honey to attract bees?

Uh, where were those pads Mr. Williams?

Dude's a total dolt. Destined for tooldom.

and I agree...but even still, I'd be more comfortable carryng the pads of Austin or Romo than some nonentity like Williams......but that's just me I guess. If I knew I could beat the guy and that the guy was basically garbage to begin with (which Williams is, no one can argue that), I wouldn't be carrying any pads, I'd be proving on the practice field that my pads are the ones that need to be carried.

F Tradition, F hazing and most importantly, F the Cowboys organization as a whole.

broncocalijohn
07-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Dez hasnt done sheat yet hogan. He carries whatever pads are given to him. He has no say in who's are if he carries any. He has zero stats in the NFL. He doesnt get to change the tradition. You want Dez to be the bigger man? Have him carry his own next year to show he thinks it is wack.

dsmoot
07-27-2010, 03:59 AM

Let me tell you ---- this is not hazing. It is a statement of not having proved anything yet in the NFL, knowing your place, earning respect from teammates by being willing to put away your pride for what seems like rules with no purpose. It all seems so insignificant on the surface but speaks volumes of who you are and are you willing to do what it takes to win to the sacrifice of personal glory.

I went through some of this in college during hell week. I hated it when it was happening. It wasn't until later that I understood some of the purpose behind it. Sure some of this was over the top and unnecessary, but some of it was a bonding process with others. I do believe the same is done in the military to get rid of the me first attitudes.

Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler never got it. I am glad they are gone and we should be happy Dez is in Dallas.

watermock
07-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Wah!

dsmoot
07-27-2010, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE=watermock;2886432]Wah![/QUOTE

Great response

watermock
07-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Bryant will be having Williams for lunch by week 7.

Dedhed
07-27-2010, 04:55 AM
and I agree...but even still, I'd be more comfortable carryng the pads of Austin or Romo than some nonentity like Williams......but that's just me I guess. If I knew I could beat the guy and that the guy was basically garbage to begin with (which Williams is, no one can argue that), I wouldn't be carrying any pads, I'd be proving on the practice field that my pads are the ones that need to be carried.

F Tradition, F hazing and most importantly, F the Cowboys organization as a whole.
F Dez. That kind of attitude is offended by literally anything and everything. He's such an insecure little whiner that everything is a threat to him.

If you get offended having to carry the pads of a particular player, you get offended when someone doesn't comp you a drink at a night club or refuses you anything. "Don't you know who I am?"

This kid's going to be in trouble in no time unless he smartens up.

Mediator12
07-27-2010, 06:31 AM
The thing that has always been a concern with Dez Bryant is his personal character and his football character. One of the reasons he dropped was his work Habits in college. They were highly suspect. Now, this creeps into his ability to get along with teammates. That is part of the football team building process. This is not hazing, not even close.

Dez is acting like Dez wants to. Not acting like he should to fit into the team dynamic. This kid is not able to control himself and its going to get ugly because everyone is going to be after him, just like they were with Brandon Marshall. And, it will twice as bad because he plays for the Cowboys.

This is exactly why I wanted no part of him in the draft. He is a very good football player talent wise, I just sincerely doubt he will ever reach his potential. And, having Roy Williams messing with him should reinforce that. Williams was a GOD in those parts where Bryant grew up, while playing at Texas, and was a much more highly rated WR coming out of College. Now, he's a mediocre NFL player despite having more raw talent than all but 5-6 WR's in the NFL. He should see that talent does not make a player in the NFL. Preparation and execution make you a NFL player. Just go ask Limas Sweed ;D

Cito Pelon
07-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Wow. All rookies go through this, what makes him special? Of course a lot of it is childish and lame and ridiculous for grown men to go through, but it's part of the tradition.

Rabb
07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/26/dez-bryant-dropped-by-under-armour/

Dez Bryant dropped by Under Armour

Posted: July 26th, 2010 | Marc Sessler | Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Roy Williams, Dez Bryant

Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant won’t carry Roy Williams’ shoulder pads and, in another strange turn of events, Under Armour won’t be carrying Dez Bryant.
Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

The shoe and apparel company’s decision to drop the wideout has nothing to do with Bryant’s hazing rebellion from Sunday.

It has everything to do with the fact that Bryant — less than a month after being drafted 24th overall — hit Cowboys OTAs in Nike shoes and gloves, and has been wearing the brand ever since, according to CNBC.

“Under Armour and Dez Bryant mutually agreed to part ways,” an Under Armour official said in a statement Monday. “We wish Dez all the best as he embarks on a professional career.”

Yes, all the best.

Under Armour, who spent a truckload of dead presidents to feature Bryant in their “I Will” ad campaign, must feel like a bride left at the alter — but that’s where it gets weird. It’s not as if Bryant has jumped ship for something better. Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins confirmed that Bryant is not endorsed by Nike. On any level.

It’s been an interesting 48 hours, Dez. What’s next?

meangene
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Dez is a complete tool! LOL

Broncoman13
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Stupid is forever... Dumbass is too stupid to wear Under Armour gear at practice to keep a contract. Free gear! It's not like he has to take that seven figure contract money and buy UA Gear, they give him everything he needs. WHAT A MORON! This stupidity has me more upset than carrying the stupid pads. How in the hell can anyone be that stupid?

CEH
07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Stupid is forever... Dumbass is too stupid to wear Under Armour gear at practice to keep a contract. Free gear! It's not like he has to take that seven figure contract money and buy UA Gear, they give him everything he needs. WHAT A MORON! This stupidity has me more upset than carrying the stupid pads. How in the hell can anyone be that stupid?

Didn't he also forget to bring shoes to his Pro Day? Like you said stupid is forever

Rabb
07-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Didn't he also forget to bring shoes to his Pro Day? Like you said stupid is forever

yep

this is just another thing in what will be a growing list of immature crap he does

broncocalijohn
07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Let us be all happy that character DOES MATTER and McDaniels was smart enough to stay away from him. Better that a team like the Cowboys drafted him. If there was ever a jersey not to buy, it is Bryant.

DenverBroncosJM
07-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Well Under Armor screwed up Dez came to play football not wear shoes and gloves .....duh

azbroncfan
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM

This isn't hazing it is a right of passage. Every other rookie has done it why is Dez good enough to not do it? It is a form of respect for veterans and other players on the team. They should beat the sh@t out of that POS.

DenverBrit
07-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Another view....

• Roy Williams should be carrying Dez Bryant’s pads, not the other way around. Bryant looked absolutely brilliant snaring every football within his reach during Sunday morning’s session. Williams didn’t dive to catch the first pass thrown his way by Tony Romo and dropped another, causing a collective groan from the 15,000-plus Cowboys fans in attendance who have seen these gaffes too many times before. The best thing for Dallas and Bryant – getting the rookie signed before the start of training camp – is awful news for a player who might not be keeping his starting spot for much longer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Latest-news-from-NFL-training-camps-July?GT1=39002

azbroncfan
07-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Another view....

• Roy Williams should be carrying Dez Bryant’s pads, not the other way around. Bryant looked absolutely brilliant snaring every football within his reach during Sunday morning’s session. Williams didn’t dive to catch the first pass thrown his way by Tony Romo and dropped another, causing a collective groan from the 15,000-plus Cowboys fans in attendance who have seen these gaffes too many times before. The best thing for Dallas and Bryant – getting the rookie signed before the start of training camp – is awful news for a player who might not be keeping his starting spot for much longer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Latest-news-from-NFL-training-camps-July?GT1=39002

Roy Williams carried Tai Streets pads as a rookie so the caliber of player isn't the whole point of the situation.

Rabb
07-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Another view....

and a wrong one (I realize that's not your opinion...so this isn't against you)

it has nothing to do with the player

Williams = Vet

Bryant = Rookie

Vet > Rookie

talent isn't at issue, respect is and I guarantee the other vets will stick up for Williams no matter what here

DenverBrit
07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
and a wrong one (I realize that's not your opinion...so this isn't against you)

it has nothing to do with the player

Williams = Vet

Bryant = Rookie

Vet > Rookie

talent isn't at issue, respect is and I guarantee the other vets will stick up for Williams no matter what here

Not taken personally at all.

For the record, I think Bryant is dead wrong. The rookie rituals are a part of the teams activities that build a 'team.'
I was more interested in his performance reports....the Dallas press has been gushing over him.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't turn into a problem child........ I hope he does, as we passed on him. ;D

Mountain Bronco
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Hazing, as long as it isn't carried away isn't bad and builds team moral and character. When playing baseball in HS as freshman we had to stand in the shower and the seniors hit soft tossed volleyballs at us from about 20 feet way with a baseball bat. It hurt like a mother and might have been a little carried away (large welts took weeks to go away, we did wear helmets), but I would actually say it was a bonding experience for the team as a whole. A couple of freshman refused, and they were outcasts for the rest of the year (really turned out to be outcasts forever). We didn't do this when I was a senior, but did other fun (humiliating) things with willing freshman and we became friends.

Hell, I know it is a cheesy move, but dazed and confused shows a good and bad side of hazing.

azbroncfan
07-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Now Dez is saying he was unaware of the tradition. This guy is just a lying POS that is always stirring the pot. He is out of the league in 5 years.

oubronco
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Dez was a headcase at OSU and he will be a headcase in the NFL

C130Herkload
07-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Imagine if this clown was on the Broncos like 10 yrs ago and refused to carry Rod Smiths pads.......effin' ouch.

Just carry the pads Meat.

That One Guy
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Hazing, as long as it isn't carried away isn't bad and builds team moral and character. When playing baseball in HS as freshman we had to stand in the shower and the seniors hit soft tossed volleyballs at us from about 20 feet way with a baseball bat. It hurt like a mother and might have been a little carried away (large welts took weeks to go away, we did wear helmets), but I would actually say it was a bonding experience for the team as a whole. A couple of freshman refused, and they were outcasts for the rest of the year (really turned out to be outcasts forever). We didn't do this when I was a senior, but did other fun (humiliating) things with willing freshman and we became friends.

Hell, I know it is a cheesy move, but dazed and confused shows a good and bad side of hazing.

The things some people will do to fit in.

Dedhed
07-27-2010, 04:52 PM

And the things people will do to stick out.

BroncoLifer
07-27-2010, 05:12 PM
And the things people will do to stick out.

Like have self-respect?

BowlenBall
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM

Dez Bryant dropped by Under Armour

Posted: July 26th, 2010 | Marc Sessler | Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Roy Williams, Dez Bryant

Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant won’t carry Roy Williams’ shoulder pads and, in another strange turn of events, Under Armour won’t be carrying Dez Bryant.
Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

The shoe and apparel company’s decision to drop the wideout has nothing to do with Bryant’s hazing rebellion from Sunday.

It has everything to do with the fact that Bryant — less than a month after being drafted 24th overall — hit Cowboys OTAs in Nike shoes and gloves, and has been wearing the brand ever since, according to CNBC.

“Under Armour and Dez Bryant mutually agreed to part ways,” an Under Armour official said in a statement Monday. “We wish Dez all the best as he embarks on a professional career.”

Yes, all the best.

Under Armour, who spent a truckload of dead presidents to feature Bryant in their “I Will” ad campaign, must feel like a bride left at the alter — but that’s where it gets weird. It’s not as if Bryant has jumped ship for something better. Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins confirmed that Bryant is not endorsed by Nike. On any level.

For those of you counting at home, this is Dez's third 'incident' since the draft:

1) The Miami Dolphins 'your mom is a ho' controversy

2) The Roy Williams 'carry your own damn pads' kerfuffle

3) The Under Armour 'shortest endorsement contract in history' situation

At this point, even if Dez Bryant significantly out-performs DeMaryius on the field, the Broncos made the right choice -- this guy is a ticking time-bomb, behavior-wise.

Ugly Duck
07-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Maybe Dez just wants to let his teammates know that he is superior to them & their silly traditions & their aged vets. Just a little hint that he is so far above them that they are now insignificant... this is now the Desmond Bryant Show, not the dallas cowboys or whatever his supporting cast used to be called. Give him a break... he is DESMOND FREAKIN' BRYANT fer cripes sake!

That One Guy
07-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Maybe Dez just wants to let his teammates know that he is superior to them & their silly traditions & their aged vets. Just a little hint that he is so far above them that they are now insignificant... this is now the Desmond Bryant Show, not the dallas cowboys or whatever his supporting cast used to be called. Give him a break... he is DESMOND FREAKIN' BRYANT fer cripes sake!

Again, if you look for controversy, you'll find it.

If you cite the UA stuff for him being an idiot, noone will disagree. He voluntarily went into a contract and then couldn't maintain the terms for a single mini-camp before it fell apart. He's an idiot.

Whether he opts to participate in the other things that don't directly tie to the football field is his own business.

broncocalijohn
07-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Now Dez is saying he was unaware of the tradition. This guy is just a lying POS that is always stirring the pot. He is in prison in 5 years.

fixed for you. Maybe not a criminal but he will somehow find his way once the money flows to his pockets and entourage.

Mr. Elway
07-28-2010, 05:19 PM
fixed for you. Maybe not a criminal but he will somehow find his way once the money flows to his pockets and entourage.

Good point. Giving a guy like that money is like throwing gas on a fire.

Jason7730
07-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Now Dez is saying he was unaware of the tradition. This guy is just a lying POS that is always stirring the pot. He is out of the league in 5 years.

Did anyone else see the interview on NFL Network with M. Irvin tring to defend Dez by saying " he said he didn't know he would have to do that"? What a lot of B.S.! Marshall Faulk put him in check by basically calling Bryant a liar and told Irvin that he KNEW that rookies are informed ahead of the time that they might have to carry pads etc. and Irvin reluctantly admitted that rookies do know that type of stuff is coming. What a couple of tools, imho. (bryant and irvin)

Popps
07-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Someone get him a tissue.

Honestly, you sound all broken up over poor Dez.

Broncoman13
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Did anyone else see the interview on NFL Network with M. Irvin tring to defend Dez by saying " he said he didn't know he would have to do that"? What a lot of B.S.! Marshall Faulk put him in check by basically calling Bryant a liar and told Irvin that he KNEW that rookies are informed ahead of the time that they might have to carry pads etc. and Irvin reluctantly admitted that rookies do know that type of stuff is coming. What a couple of tools, imho. (bryant and irvin)

I saw that and was laughing at Irvin, what a joke! But did you happen to see the few highlights of Bryant at camp, that pass he caught down field where he was looking over his right shoulder had to adjust and turn to his left shoulder and making an arms extended catch, dude has loads of talent. Million dollar talent and a $.10 head!

That One Guy
07-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Someone get him a tissue.

Honestly, you sound all broken up over poor Dez.

There's Popps to try and take a cheapshot. How about a contribution to the discussion? Or maybe go over to the other thread, keep the lame attempts at insults there, and answer some of the questions posed to the all-knowing expert of the industry.

oubronco
07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
There's Popps to try and take a cheapshot. How about a contribution to the discussion? Or maybe go over to the other thread, keep the lame attempts at insults there, and answer some of the questions posed to the all-knowing expert of the industry.

:spit:

hambone13
07-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Popps and I don't agree on every topic and we've certainly exchanged words. However, you've chosen not to respond to the key point he is making. "Carrying pads is not hazing, it's a tradition which is a rite of passage." Your high horse is more like a huge jackass.

hambone13
07-29-2010, 08:59 AM

That's a sure sign of a true warrior. I'm sure your fellow servicemen were highly impressed. I endured the tradition and it is far from the horror that you imply here. I've had shots from the doctor that were more painful or destructive. For a person trying to suggest that "blowing things out of proportion" is as much a problem as Dez's behavior, you fail miserably by example.

azbroncfan
07-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Dez and Marshall have two things in common. They try to talk to the public to try and shine a good light on themselves but come accross like the complete uneducated POS street thugs that they are. Their attorney's that I am sure they have on speed dial should advise them to avoid speaking to reporters.

Rock Chalk
07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I saw that and was laughing at Irvin, what a joke! But did you happen to see the few highlights of Bryant at camp, that pass he caught down field where he was looking over his right shoulder had to adjust and turn to his left shoulder and making an arms extended catch, dude has loads of talent. Million dollar talent and a $.10 head!

10 cent head because he wouldnt carry shoulder pads? Really?

Everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill on this. Who gives a **** really? The only person crying is the douche nozzle Roy Williams who tried, and failed, to make Dez carry his shoulder pads.

Rabb
07-29-2010, 09:40 AM

Everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill on this. Who gives a **** really? The only person crying is the douche nozzle Roy Williams who tried, and failed, to make Dez carry his shoulder pads.

man your posts have really taken a nosedive lately, not that you care what I think but you've really not been the same poster as I remember

hope whatever your deal is gets worked out, you seem like an angry person anymore

Eldorado
07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
man your posts have really taken a nosedive lately, not that you care what I think but you've really not been the same poster as I remember

hope whatever your deal is gets worked out, you seem like an angry person anymore

ROFL, Alex has always been angry. It's part of his charm.

bowtown
07-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Now you've done it.

Rabb
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM

maybe, I guess I never noticed it this bad

That One Guy
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Popps and I don't agree on every topic and we've certainly exchanged words. However, you've chosen not to respond to the key point he is making. "Carrying pads is not hazing, it's a tradition which is a rite of passage." Your high horse is more like a huge jackass.

http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2886397&postcount=63

Hi, welcome to the thread. If I was making a jackass out of myself then you surely took it from me.

That One Guy
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
That's a sure sign of a true warrior. I'm sure your fellow servicemen were highly impressed. I endured the tradition and it is far from the horror that you imply here. I've had shots from the doctor that were more painful or destructive. For a person trying to suggest that "blowing things out of proportion" is as much a problem as Dez's behavior, you fail miserably by example.

The main point in the protest is not the damage done by the act itself but the fact that one shouldn't be subjected to physical pain as a rite of passage. Even when the ACU came in and the rite changed to just a punch in the chest, I still ensured it didn't happen to those who didn't want it. It was a principle matter for me and that's completely a personal matter as I said before.

And not that it was the point of the protest, as I just said, but I've personally known of uniforms being destroyed through the pin holes creating larger holes, blot spots that covered half a chest when the pins didn't go straight in or straight out that never came out of the uniform entirely, and a buddy who had a pin busted off in his collar bone when someone didn't align the pins properly.

As I said earlier in the thread, what is hazing, what is reasonable, and where or how a line is drawn is all a personal matter. Congrats on trying to be bigger, meaner, and tougher than me though. You're the man.

broncocalijohn
07-29-2010, 02:26 PM

he has always been angry. Just the name changed.

Broncoman13
07-29-2010, 03:12 PM

No it has more to do with losing a multi million dollar contract w/U A bc he was too stupid and showed up wearing all Nike gear and no he doesn't have a contract with Nike. And you are agreeing with Michael Irvin in your take on it not being a big deal. You see what Champ had to say about it? How about Sapp? Faulk? It was a dumb move for a rookie to make. He should be doing all he can do to foster a good teaming atmosphere.

Broncoman13
07-29-2010, 03:15 PM
btw people it is Alec not Alex. I am Alex and I am not the least bit grouchy! :D

WABronco
07-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Facts of the case:

1. It isn't "hazing." Sodomizing a freshman with a broom handle is "hazing." Hell, shaving a rookie's head is more "hazing" than this is. It's showing respect and humility, regardless of whose pads they are.

2. Dez Bryant doesn't care about winning...he obviously doesn't even care about free money. He's just that stupid. His ghetto-fied brain is the problem. He made it into a "hey I'm not your b****" thing when all it was was a little rookie exercise.

...with his rep he should be concentrating on being on the inside, not an outlier. Small wonder he fell to the mid-twenties.

That One Guy
07-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Facts of the case:

1. It isn't "hazing." Sodomizing a freshman with a broom handle is "hazing." Hell, shaving a rookie's head is more "hazing" than this is. It's showing respect and humility, regardless of whose pads they are.

2. Dez Bryant doesn't care about winning...he obviously doesn't even care about free money. He's just that stupid. His ghetto-fied brain is the problem. He made it into a "hey I'm not your b****" thing when all it was was a little rookie exercise.

...with his rep he should be concentrating on being on the inside, not an outlier. Small wonder he fell to the mid-twenties.

While I agree with your post, I will disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

Dictionary.com definition of haze:

haze2    /heɪz/ Show Spelled[heyz] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), hazed, haz·ing.
1. to subject (freshmen, newcomers, etc.) to abusive or humiliating tricks and ridicule.
2. Chiefly Nautical . to harass with unnecessary or disagreeable tasks.

Again, hazing is 100% subjective and up to the person in question. If Dez thought it was beyond the line, it definitely says something about his character but also is his right to decline. His contract undoubtedly makes him answer to the coaches but not the vets on the field. Dallas knew the player they were getting and this is just a byproduct of their decision.

shaun514
07-29-2010, 07:53 PM
If this had happened in Denver, we would never even have heard about it.

Dagmar
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Did you come off your meds recently bro?

broncocalijohn
07-30-2010, 01:20 AM
If this had happened in Denver, we would never even have heard about it.

BS; JOSINA would be all over it with her tweets. Of course she would be on Dez side.

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Jerry Jones suggests Dez Bryant was overworked

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/30/jerry-jones-suggests-dez-bryant-was-overworked/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 30, 2010 8:42 PM ET

Reporters love Jerry Jones for the same reason that probably drives coaches crazy: Jones talks and emotes like a fan when things go wrong.

It's no surprise, then, that Jones wasn't pleased when told about Dez Bryant's high ankle sprain, which will cost the rookie 4-6 weeks. In fact, he nudged his coaching staff under the bus.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen writes on Twitter that Jones suggested Bryant was "overworked" and wasn't happy the injury happened on the second to last play of practice after all his reps and his kick return work.

"Got a feeling someone has gotten their butts chewed," Mort wrote.

Wade Phillips has a pretty sweet gig, but an unreasonable "butt chewing" or five from Jerry Jones every season comes with the territory.

cmhargrove
08-01-2010, 09:03 AM
1. Dez was wrong, plain wrong. "Team" trumps "self" in this case. The consequences of acts like this can have lasting effects on the team. If carrying someone else's pads is too difficult for a new multi-millionaire, maybe he needs to find work that isn't so difficult.
2. I am an Oklahoma State fan and really liked Dez on the team there, but this has a bad feeling about it already. He only played two real years of college ball, and his immaturity and difficult background are starting to show through already. The dude needs a real good advisor if his career is going to stay on track. He keeps making himself a lighting rod, and he isn't mentally ready to handle that.
3. I don't hope bad things, but I feel them coming. It will be fun to watch Jerry Jones squirm for the next few years.

HEAV
08-03-2010, 10:16 AM
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1183/2010080220100803c01sp03.jpg (http://img840.imageshack.us/i/2010080220100803c01sp03.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)