SoCalBronco
07-24-2010, 11:24 PM
OFFENSE (24)

QB (3) Orton, B. Quinn, :tebow:

HB (3) Moreno, Buckhalter, Arrington

FB (1) Larsen

WR (6) Gaffney, Royal, D. Thomas, Lloyd, Decker, McKinley

TE (3) Graham, Branson, R. Quinn

OL (9) Clady, Beadles, Walton, :haw!:, Harris, Polumbus, Hochstein, Fry, S. Olsen

DEFENSE (25)

DE (4) Bannan, M. Thomas, Green, McBean

NT (3) J. Williams, Fields, Baker

OLB (4) Dumervil, Ayers, Reid, Moss

ILB (4) DJ Williams, Haggan, Woodyard, Ayodele

CB (6) Bailey, Goodman, Jones, Smith, Cox, Carter

S (4) Dawkins, Hill, McBath, Bruton

SPECIAL TEAMS (3) Paxton, Prater, Colquitt

PRIME CANDIDATES FOR PRACTICE SQUAD (6) (With two spots left open for pickups from other clubs) Thompson, E. Olsen, Kirlew, McCarthy, Stehle, Vaughn

NOTABLE CUTS (2) Stokley, Barrett

General Thoughts
1. I'd be surprised if Marcus Thomas isn't starting ahead of Jarvis Green at the DE spot opposite Bannan. He's really packed on some extra weight and strength (he's purportedly at 316, still a bit small for 3-4 NT, but could be a real biatch to run against at 3-4 DE.....Green is mainly a situational player and only 285).

2. Brandon Stokley is obviously a better football player than Brandon Lloyd. However, there have been rumblings that he doesn't feel he fits the offense and I just have a gut feeling that if they keep six at that spot (an extra vet backup to help the kids) they'll choose Lloyd over him. When he got a chance to play some more at the end of last season, he was able to pitch in a few decent games after doing nothing previously.

3. Jarvis Moss is kind of like the rasputin of this team. I think he's in a two man battle with Jamie Kirlew for the backup WOLB spot. I suspect he will probably be able to hold on one more year.

4. I know 9 linemen seem like alot, but given the questions inside and the injury issues outside, they need all the roster depth they can get.

5. I know 6 corners seem like alot, but this is probably the deepest part of the team. Ordinarily, I'd say they'd keep 5, but Tony Carter is feisty and competitive when he gets a chance to play and almost forces you to keep him. I think he'll hold off Thompson...for now. Carter did some nice things for this team last season despite his size. Hopefully, Smith can learn from that example.

6. One thing I was kind of surprised at when looking at this roster is that there are not alot of one on one roster battles for spots. There are very few truly competitive open slots, here. I suppose there's a 3 man battle for 2 spots at backup safety, but I think the two kids proved some things last year and have more room to grow than Barrett at this point (who's probably levelled off). Actually, Kyle McCarthy out of ND might be a guy to keep an eye on. They did sign Atkins and some other backup OLB's, but I still expect Reid to hold onto his spot.

7. The rationale for 3 NT's is that with Fields's incident (and possible discipline, although I think that's unlikely myself), they need extra depth and I believe the staff has made some good comments about Baker not too long ago, anyway.

What are your roster thoughts going into camp?

KipCorrington25
07-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Moss is very curious, that one pre season game they played him last year he was so quick off the ball and there was hope and then....... nothing....

How long can you produce nothing and live off potential?

Killericon
07-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Moss is very curious, that one pre season game they played him last year he was so quick off the ball and there was hope and then....... nothing....

How long can you produce nothing and live off potential?

For as long as we pay him next to nothing.

Traveler
07-25-2010, 07:04 AM
5. I know 6 corners seem like alot, but this is probably the deepest part of the team. Ordinarily, I'd say they'd keep 5, but Tony Carter is feisty and competitive when he gets a chance to play and almost forces you to keep him. I think he'll hold off Thompson...for now. Carter did some nice things for this team last season despite his size. Hopefully, Smith can learn from that example.

I agree with most of your post except this:

Carter becomes expendable with the signing of Nate Jones IMO. Barrett has much better ST value than Carter offers, while Jones can play CB, S, and is a very good ST player.

JCMElway
07-25-2010, 07:40 AM
For as long as we pay him next to nothing.

That's right, most of his money was guaranteed and up front.

broncogary
07-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Rediculously early! :approve:

Dr. Broncenstein
07-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Looks like Colquitt has the punting job locked up.

thecool
07-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't think Barrett will get cut. He and Bruton were two of the best gunners in the league last year on punting special teams. Barrett is an extremely hard worker...

montrose
07-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Regards to Stokley, who all common sense would point to as gone, McD has brought him up immediately almost every time asked about the WR position sans BM. Now he's also brought up Matthew Willis not too long after - so that doesn't mean he sticks - but I'd think at this point the Broncos know what they have in Stoke at WR and know he can't help on ST. If he wasn't going to be kept around I figure they'd have cut him by now. Also, TheCool hit it on Barrett, McDaniels complemented Barrett several times for his work as a gunner.

With that, my list:

OFFENSE (25)
(3) QB: Orton, B.Quinn, Tebow
(4) RB: Moreno, Buckhalter, Arrington, Larsen (FB)
(6) WR: Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd, Stokley, Thomas, Decker
(3) TE: Graham, R.Quinn, Branson
(9) OL: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Hochstein, S.Olsen

DEFENSE (25)
(7) DL: Bannan, J.Williams, Green, McBean, Fields, Thomas, Baker
(8) LB: Dumervil, D.Williams, Haggan, Ayers, Reid, Ayodele, Woodyard, Moss
(10) DB: Bailey, Goodman, Dawkins, Hill, Smith, Jones, McBath, Bruton, Cox, Barrett

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
(1) K: Prater
(1) P: Colquitt
(1) DS: Paxton

PS: RB L.Ball, WR M.Willis, OL E.Olsen, OL C.Marinelli, LB K.Alexander, LB J.Kirlew, DB S.Thompson, DB K.McCarthy

Popps
07-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Looks like Colquitt has the punting job locked up.

http://www.lolcatpics.com/images/interesting.jpg

Popps
07-25-2010, 10:08 AM
If that D-line stays healthy, it really should be greatly improved. McBean as a #2 is very strong.

I also wonder how Thomas could do at DE. Weren't we going to try him more there this year?

Requiem
07-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I have a feeling of E. Olsen gets put on the practice squad, he gets snatched up. Same thing with Thompson. Maybe not though.

Inkana7
07-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Regards to Stokley, who all common sense would point to as gone, McD has brought him up immediately almost every time asked about the WR position sans BM. Now he's also brought up Matthew Willis not too long after - so that doesn't mean he sticks - but I'd think at this point the Broncos know what they have in Stoke at WR and know he can't help on ST. If he wasn't going to be kept around I figure they'd have cut him by now. Also, TheCool hit it on Barrett, McDaniels complemented Barrett several times for his work as a gunner.

With that, my list:

OFFENSE (25)

DEFENSE (25)
(10) DB: Bailey, Goodman, Dawkins, Hill, Smith, Jones, McBath, Bruton, Cox, Barrett

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

PS: RB L.Ball, WR M.Willis, OL E.Olsen, OL C.Marinelli, LB K.Alexander, LB J.Kirlew, DB S.Thompson, DB K.McCarthy

You only have 8 OL listed, not 9.

TheReverend
07-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I feel like it's a boom or bust scenario this season, but I'm optimistic we can buy more time.

At WR we need growth fast from some guys who can barely run yet, otherwise we have to hope Kyle can throw Eddie open, or that Josh can scheme some guys open with the pick plays he loves to run. It should at least be a competitive unit, but as Broncos fans we've become used to dominate WR corps since Brandon took over the reigns. I don't expect to see his production duplicated, but I would like to see the ball moved and third down converted more often than not, and that might not be the case this season. Let's hope Thomas develops into a nice, big, reliable safety valve for Kyle.

At RB we have Buckhalter with yet another injury under his belt and Knowshon who ran extremely timid at times, and we've lost perhaps the best RB coach in NFL history.

At TE we've got a couple blockers with sub par receiving ability. We're not even aware if Quinn has ANY receiving ability at the moment. We flat our NEED to be able to attack the seam. The hardest part to cover in a cover 2 is the deep sideline. It's why corners get a nudge on the receiver to funnel them inside just a step. Without a seam threat, safeties won't need to shade in a yard and our deep passing game dies.

I love who we've added to the OL in the draft, but it's most likely a year too soon. Kuper making the line calls will help a lot, but regardless, the quickest route to the QB will be right over the centers ass and teams know this and will set up blitz packages accordingly. We also have Clady returning from injury and even in a best case scenario, he'll have a couple weeks of practice before being available to play and the covering his inside shoulder is also a rookie. Lots of room to get exposed on the blind side now, which isn't great news for a china doll QB.

At QB... sigh.

On the DL we added some great depth, but the only one that can moderately be considered an upper echolon player is Williams who comes with his own bag of question marks. The other two have little starting experience and have only been successful in the NFL as role players.

At LB we need Ayers to step up. I could care less about pressure from him. I'm more concerned with seeing him set a solid edge on the SS and start stringing any OT running plays out or force them to bounce it back inside. We can make some significant strides in our run D if Ayers can just calm down, read his keys, and step up with reckless abandon. Ayodele was a great signing for how we use that LB. Last season we spent a good chunk of time slanting the DL to free up DJ and it paid off. Hope he continues that success this season and they blitz him more often. He's very effective up the middle.

Our secondary is concerning. McBath will be a legit pro bowl player sooner than later, but we're still fielding 4 starters in their thirties that are now a year older at positions that put a premium on quickness. I'm hopeful they stay healthy and hold up well, but corner specifically will NEED to be addressed next year either through the draft or FA. I have no illusions that Alphonso Smith can ever play at a high level in this league.

On the other side of the coin:

At WR, we added a ton of talent and we have a coach that can scheme to player strengths and isolate favorable match ups.

At OL, we also added a ton of young talent and are effectively minimizing their responsibilities their rookie season by having Kuper make the line calls and we can use our TE's blocking strengths to slide protection to cover weakness.

At RB, Knowshon is a premier talent and had several games where he showed exactly what he's capable of. If he can consistently perform at those levels, our offense opens a whole new door.

At QB, we added solid depth to Quinn, Orton has another year in the system and the rise of Tebow is coming sooner than later.

At DL, we added veteran presences from extremely solid 3-4 coaching backgrounds and injected them into our current rotation.

In the 2ndary we have 2 HoF players still performing at a high level, Hill played well above expectations and Goodman was mostly good enough. Add a budding star in Darcel McBath to that and we could be a serious turnover threat on every down in the defensive backfield.

But which is it?

TheReverend
07-25-2010, 11:11 AM
You only have 8 OL listed, not 9.

Prob just confusion over the Olsen/Olson twins. Most likely meant to have both up, but saw the name and thought both already were up.

Mr.Meanie
07-25-2010, 11:16 AM

With that, my list:

OFFENSE (25)

DEFENSE (25)

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

I just can't see us cutting McKinley. He's young, just drafted and lots of upside. I think if it comes down to it, we keep McKinley and cut Stokely.

Kaylore
07-25-2010, 12:21 PM
I think I'm the only person who thinks Hochstein will start somewhere on the line - at least at the start of the season. I just don't see McDaniels starting two rookies right next to each other.

TheReverend
07-25-2010, 12:28 PM
I think I'm the only person who thinks Hochstein will start somewhere on the line - at least at the start of the season. I just don't see McDaniels starting two rookies right next to each other.

Does that in any way, shape or form inspire confidence in you about our line?

underrated29
07-25-2010, 12:36 PM

As you know in joshs camp its all about competition. JD will have C locked up- he already does...

So then it comes down to hochstein being able to beat out the beadle, seth olsen and eric olsen--all who are younger and bigger.....

Your theory makes sense, but really- I think this is Seths or zanes Job when it is all said and done.

Dream- I agree big time with you about eric and syd....Eric is waaaaaaaaay to valuable to let him sit on the PS--however, we just now signed him so who knows...But a guy that can play C and LG is big strong and young is a premium and probably would not last on the open market.

Same with syd...Dude is a solid corner but ran a slow ass 40. But as we see with dom foxworth that speed doesnt mean you can cover........I like syd- I do not see him making our squad unless we have an injury- but I also am not sure if he would make it to our PS either....

snowspot66
07-25-2010, 01:12 PM
But which is it?

Both.

I'm sure we'll have games where we look like ****. But the talent level of this team in general has gone up quite a bit in the last two years so I'm expecting a good showing this year and a wild card.

SoCalBronco
07-25-2010, 01:15 PM

I can see Kuper starting at RG and LG simultaneously.

He's awesome like that.

azbroncfan
07-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Something has to be done here. I am really worried about RB after Moreno. Buck is good for his 50 carries for the year and Arrington is below average runner and gets hurt. I think Denver will look hard at Westbrook.

NFLBRONCO
07-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Something has to be done here. I am really worried about RB after Moreno. Buck is good for his 50 carries for the year and Arrington is below average runner and gets hurt. I think Denver will look hard at Westbrook.

I was going to bring up the same thing. 3 injury prone backs is all your keeping its a long summer/season

Kaylore
07-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Does that in any way, shape or form inspire confidence in you about our line?

No, though I think the worst isn't going to be as bad as maybe you do. Our interior was pretty atrocious last year, so I would expect at worst a shade below last year. Hopefully their size, athleticism, and youth would allow them to hold ground a bit better and that may off-set the mental errors we're sure to see. I suppose Orton making line calls would take some of the pressure of Walton too if he has to start there. Still, it seems a recipe for serious growing pains to me.

elsid13
07-25-2010, 04:55 PM

You are about two months late, see the Tebow SI thread. I believe that Hochstein will be starter at either at Guard or Center when the season opens. Yes I know Watson was starting in OTAs but that is the time when coaching staff experiment with players and groupings. When it all said and done I believe they go with the vet in the center to keep Orton up right.

broncosteven
07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
I can see Kuper starting at RG and LG simultaneously.

He's awesome like that.

He still has a long way to go to reach this man's legend:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/jscfeatures/images/hires/jsc2009e141021.jpg

elsid13
07-25-2010, 05:10 PM
He still has a long way to go to reach this man's legend:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/jscfeatures/images/hires/jsc2009e141021.jpg

When that man passes away we are going to have to put you on suicide watch.

Cmac821
07-25-2010, 05:15 PM
What about the old "Injury Reserve Trick"?

broncosteven
07-25-2010, 05:18 PM
When that man passes away we are going to have to put you on suicide watch.

Gene won't die he will evolve, kinda like Obiwan did, but that won't keep me off suicide watch.

broncosteven
07-25-2010, 05:19 PM
I do think the Oline will dictate the success of this team. Lot of changes and adjustments to be made there which we have no idea how they will play out until TC is over.

montrose
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Prob just confusion over the Olsen/Olson twins. Most likely meant to have both up, but saw the name and thought both already were up.

Yup, my bad.

I just can't see us cutting McKinley. He's young, just drafted and lots of upside. I think if it comes down to it, we keep McKinley and cut Stokely.

Yeah I struggled with that cut but I just think if Stokley was going to be let go it would've happened already. I could be wrong, but at this point how many WRs does Josh really trust?

If he's 100%, I could see it. Helping the rooks is that he's coming off that injury. If he's not ready to start the season and the rookies are getting all the reps - I could see them keeping the spots.

I'd keep an eye on Kolby Smith or one of the other RBs like Ball or Baker although Josh has always been really high on Arrington.

gyldenlove
07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
I do think the Oline will dictate the success of this team. Lot of changes and adjustments to be made there which we have no idea how they will play out until TC is over.

Dline, we are not going to win a lot of shootouts anyway, but if we can keep the points against low we can make it far.

broncosteven
07-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Dline, we are not going to win a lot of shootouts anyway, but if we can keep the points against low we can make it far.

I look at it this way: Orton can't move, teams will attack our weak links in the Oline to pressure him much like teams did by rushing Grossman up the middle and taking the boot from Plummer. If Orton can't adjust or make anything happen it won't matter how many points are scored.

It's is way too early to know what is going to playout but my money is on OL dictating success.

Kaylore
07-25-2010, 08:43 PM
You are about two months late, see the Tebow SI thread.
I've said this before.

underrated29
07-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I look at it this way: Orton can't move, teams will attack our weak links in the Oline to pressure him .

What weak links do you speak of....?

This is the one part that I see a lot of people saying and I just do not see it...

Yes, we know just how bad we sucked ass at Center and LG last year....Weigman was getting beat like a 13 year olds wang. And hamilton, hochstein and whoever else we put at LG did nothing better.....They were undersized and over powered on EVERY play.

The sheer fact that we added guys with 30 + lbs on them should alone make an improvement, let alone their skill and youth.

IMO anyone who plays the man/power scheme would be better than what we had last year. Those guys were not built for the power scheme and just did not fit.

Plus JD is a mean badass, who is used to making line calls. IF anything he is a major major improvement...At LG we do not know who will be there, but in all likelyhood it will not be someone who was there last year...Sure they might not be any good, but I dont see how they could be anyworse....So I dont see the weaklinks. I see an unknown, but last year was the worst it could ever have been, no way it is weaklink this year.

MABroncoFan
07-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd be surprised if we cut McKinley.

Also, we traded a 5th in 2011 for Kirlew and Thompson. I'll be surprised if neither make the team. My guess would be Thompson makes it as a 6th CB, and Kirlew hopefully ends up on the practice squad.

His odds of making it would increase if Reid isn't ready to go.

missingnumber7
07-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Is there a list of all camp invitees?

I find it hard to believe that they are only going to keep 4 backs total...between HB and FB, but with McD's system it could work...but with the way the injury bug has bitten in past years it worries me.

And then there is the Stokely question...he was left for dead last year with the comments that he doesn't fit McD's system. I think a veteran in his place has staying power. If it comes down to him and Mckinley, I think he loses because of McKinleys ability to return kicks, between him and Lloyd...it is all about who has a better showing in the preseason. But I think that McD recognizes the experience that Stokely has with Manning and I'm sure that cant hurt while he's trying to groom Tebow.