PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant signs with the Cowboys.

GoHAM
07-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Good news for the Broncos as he is right in between Thomas and Tebow, so the Broncos have a good starting point for both of them.

First-rounder Bryant signs five-year, $11.8M deal with Cowboys
Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- With all the stories about Dez Bryant being a character risk, and then with him picking the same agent whom buddy Michael Crabtree had during a holdout that lasted nearly until Halloween last season, some Dallas Cowboys fans worried whether the rookie wide receiver would ever show up.

Well, guess what: Bryant signed Thursday, becoming the first first-round draft pick in the entire NFL to strike a deal. The contract is for $11.8 million over five years, with at least $8.3 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8193ffbf/article/firstrounder-bryant-signs-fiveyear-118m-deal-with-cowboys

bowtown
07-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Good news for the Broncos as he is right in between Thomas and Tebow, so the Broncos have a good starting point for both of them.

First-rounder Bryant signs five-year, $11.8M deal with Cowboys
Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- With all the stories about Dez Bryant being a character risk, and then with him picking the same agent whom buddy Michael Crabtree had during a holdout that lasted nearly until Halloween last season, some Dallas Cowboys fans worried whether the rookie wide receiver would ever show up.

Well, guess what: Bryant signed Thursday, becoming the first first-round draft pick in the entire NFL to strike a deal. The contract is for $11.8 million over five years, with at least $8.3 million guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8193ffbf/article/firstrounder-bryant-signs-fiveyear-118m-deal-with-cowboys

He wanted to get an early jump on missing practice, legitimately. He's turned over a new leaf.

Doggcow
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Seems a little high for where he was drafted. However, I'm not sure.

HILife
07-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Great. Now lets sign our first rounders and get TC started.

DBroncos4life
07-23-2010, 03:06 PM
He wanted to get an early jump on missing practice, legitimately. He's turned over a new leaf.

It was a great move by him. I think not drafting Bryant was the worst move this offseason. Thomas might be good but I think Bryant will be great.

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
It was a great move by him. I think not drafting Bryant was the worst move this offseason. Thomas might be good but I think Bryant will be great.

Bryant has prima donna written all over him. Getting into camp is a good move on his part but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before he flakes on the team...

Naggle Nole
07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
As an OU fan, I have seen his talent now for the last few years
I think Bryant will show flashes of brilliance, but he does have a reputation for disappearing in big games against Big XII rivals
However, I think that getting picked up by the Cowboys was the worst thing that could have happened to him
Being from Texas, already a Cowboys fan, getting Michael "Scissorhands" Irvin's number....
I just think that all that will only inflate his sense of entitlement
There is a headline involving Bryant, his posse/entourage, and a strip club/night club just waiting to happen

RunSilentRunDeep
07-23-2010, 06:51 PM
From 2009:

23. Michael Oher, Baltimore: 5 years, $13 million ($7.82M guaranteed)
24. Peria Jerry, Atlanta: 5 years, $13.25 million ($7.55M guaranteed)
25. Vontae Davis, Miami: 5 years, $13.3 million ($7.35M guaranteed)

Bryant certainly didn't get anything special.

BroncoMan4ever
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
From 2009:

23. Michael Oher, Baltimore: 5 years, $13 million ($7.82M guaranteed)
24. Peria Jerry, Atlanta: 5 years, $13.25 million ($7.55M guaranteed)
25. Vontae Davis, Miami: 5 years, $13.3 million ($7.35M guaranteed)

Bryant certainly didn't get anything special.

don't the rookie contract usually increase by something like 8% a year from the slotting of the previous season pick at that same draft position?

Bryant got raped on his deal. Dude needs to fire his agent because he left millions on the negotiating table.

Shoemaker
07-23-2010, 08:18 PM

I may be wrong, and there are certainly people here who know much better than me, but I was under the impression that Thomas fit McDaniels' offensive scheme better than Bryant.

Thomas is taller, has bigger hands, and comparable downfield speed; from everything I can see, he's a tailor-made fit for the Z-receiver in our scheme.

Personally, I think Bryant's "character concerns" are overblown, but I'm not too concerned about passing up on him. Thomas has all the physical tools, and is a smart guy-the route running will come with time.

I think both Bryant and Thomas will be stud wideouts, but Thomas fits what we're trying to do on offense a bit better, in my opinion.

Hogan11
07-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Bryant has prima donna written all over him. Getting into camp is a good move on his part but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before he flakes on the team...

I'm not directing this at DBroncos or anything, but I do know that there are fans out there who are not happy unless there's a prima donna on the team in some fashion. The reason for that has nothing to do with football at all...it's more about coverage and star power than anything else.