PDA

View Full Version : Now that Doom is signed it's time to again ask are you on the Josh McD bandwagon yet?

baja
07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Has Josh won you over yet?

Pre training camp doldrums poll coming....

Los Broncos
07-23-2010, 01:00 PM
What's a "Doon"?

baja
07-23-2010, 01:01 PM
What's a "Doon"?

It's a typo

Mogulseeker
07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I was on the McD bandwagon before they signed him... back when it was down to Spagnolo, Raheem Mooris and J McD.

I had my fingers crossed that we would pick McD and was excited when we finally did.

mr007
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
5.) Learn to spell with as much as you post =).

I'm cautiously optimistic. Things are looking a lot better to me this year than they did last. Football needs to start already.

Jerry Curl
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I was on the McD bandwagon before they signed him... back when it was down to Spagnolo, Raheem Mooris and J McD.

I had my fingers crossed that we would pick McD and was excited when we finally did.

This. I just want some football to start up too.

Pseudofool
07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I voted wrong. It'd be nice if the choices were ordered in some reasonable way.

bowtown
07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
McD had me at fist pump, but I had started caving by game 1.

jhns
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
No and no. I liked him when we hired him and hated him soon after he started making moves.

Popps
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNO9ZQHBiG2M6wq9DEwD-_unL7tlfqE7DrOvxHth5KweyoR8w&t=1&usg=__wzp0ll_ttfG_GxuXTIq5UKs533Y=

bowtown

Do you by any chance live in Florida?

Garcia Bronco
07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I can wait on the football start this year. I want as much summer as possible. :)

v2micca
07-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I find this to be a very reassuring move in the right direction. I'm not ready to have complete faith in this front office yet. But, I can fully acknowledge when they make a decision that I feel is beneficial to the long term success of the team. Good job to everyone involved in making this happen.

listopencil
07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I"m on the Bronco bandwagon, have been for decades.

Cool Breeze
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Have been from nearly the begining

Taco John
07-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I"m on the Bronco bandwagon, have been for decades.

This.

I just want to win. I'm optimistic about this year, but I haven't forgotten about the fact that we lost 8 of 10 games to close the season, including losses to Oakland and KC - both winnable games which would have put us into the playoffs.

I don't care whether I'm seen as "on" the "Josh Bandwagon" or "off" of it. I just want to win. Right now I'd say that I'm optimistic about our chances of going to the playoffs this year and am very excited to see what Josh's second year brings.

HILife
07-23-2010, 02:43 PM

You voted "Yes, I'm convinced." Welcome to the dark side. Go Broncos!

HILife
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I can wait on the football start this year. I want as much summer as possible. :)

+1. They should have football during the summer time. That would set the Summer over the top. I'm pretty sure the players won't mind the extra heat.

Doggcow
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
This.

I just want to win. I'm optimistic about this year, but I haven't forgotten about the fact that we lost 8 of 10 games to close the season, including losses to Oakland and KC - both winnable games which would have put us into the playoffs.

I don't care whether I'm seen as "on" the "Josh Bandwagon" or "off" of it. I just want to win. Right now I'd say that I'm optimistic about our chances of going to the playoffs this year and am very excited to see what Josh's second year brings.

Same. I very much like our chances this year. I think we can finally usurp the division from the Chargers.

baja
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Oh, and how would you have liked them served up.

BTW you missed this oppertunity to post your real preference

Pseudofool
07-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh, and how would you have liked them served up.

BTW you missed this oppertunity to post your real preference
Oh, I don't know, ordered from most pro-McD to most anti-McD, or some-such? I've liked McD from the beginning. He won me over with his articulateness and his priorities, very early on.

baja
07-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Oh, I don't know, ordered from most pro-McD to most anti-McD, or some-such? I've liked McD from the beginning. He won me over with his articulateness and his priorities, very early on.

I wrote them as I thought of them, I didn't think anyone would have a hard time understanding the very short statements. Bad spelling not withstanding. ;D

jhns
07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I was thinking of the reasons I dislike Josh running the team and what would change my mind about him and came up with the following:

The moves that made me not like him being in charge:

- Cutler. I'm not even going to explain myself here.

- Marshall. Although this one is mostly that it followed Cutler. I can understand the move, and think there are other teams that would do the same, but I just can't accept losing two young pro bowlers in such a short period.

- Sheffler. This isn't that big of a deal but again we lost some good talent. I'm not saying he is a great pro bowler but he is a guy that creates matchup problems and helps stretch the field.

- Nolan. This was a great hire but we have now continued the revolving door at d coordinator. If it was that McDaniels didn't like how Nolan ran the defense then he is a dumbass for not doing his research on a coach that has been around forever. If it was just that Nolan wanted out to take the same job elsewhere, maybe McDaniels should have put on some knee pads or something. He needed to find a way to make Nolan stay. The "mutual" line just says that McDaniels hand picked coach didn't even want to work with him and that McDaniels didn't want his hand picked coach that was on the one side of the ball that improved(yes, I get that they were bad at the end. This doesn't change what I said).

- Orton. I do not understand leaving this team stuck with him as the best option. You get rid of Cutler for this? What the...?? Tebow can easily change my mind on this as he seems to be the guy McDaniels wants to really replace Cutler with. Even still, way to put the team back 4-5 years.

- Alphonso pick. I have nothing against Smith and I hope he turns out to be great. I will never think trading a first for a second is a good idea. The prospects at our first this year were guys that show a lot more potential than Smith. I just don't get why anyone would think that trade would ever be worth it. You can't see into the future to even begin to know what you are missing out on. It is a first round pick. Shanahan failed because he picked bad early(something that had turned around at the end but was to late) and couldn't get a good d coordinator.

- The first years direction and results. I agree with Bowlen. Why would we not pick more defense in the draft when we had the teams worst ever defense? How can you spend so many resources on an already good offense and get worse on that side? This is another reason Nolan leaving makes me mad. He did a lot with very little. I wish he would have stayed around long enough to get a decent front 7 to work with. I also just don't get the Madden generation aproach to the draft. He trades all over when he likely could get many of the players by sitting where he is. To me, it seems like he is trying to do far too much and he needs to settle down on draft day.

Now here is a list of what he can do to make me like him being in charge:

- Win. Making the playoffs would be a start.

- Unleash the greatness of Tebow. I have hopes for Tebow and if he shows that he is a good Cutler replacement, I will be patient if we aren't winning right away. I wouldn't expect to win as much if we had a really young QB starting but you can still tell if they show promise or not.

- Continue doing what you do in free agency. I can't say I have many complaints when it comes to FA signings. This alone hasn't changed my opinion of McDaniels but it has helped. Also, the Elvis signing was a great move.

That is all. I may have to edit these lists some as I think of stuff.

Chris
07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Man meant to say i was always on his bandwagon from the beginning.

Pseudofool
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
I wrote them as I thought of them, I didn't think anyone would have a hard time understanding the very short statements. Bad spelling not withstanding. ;D
Each isn't mutually exclusive as I expected them to be, so I went with the first true one. I should have read the entire post before voting, it's really my fault. But you didn't help. :flower:

Pseudofool
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Man meant to say i was always on his bandwagon from the beginning.

See, I'm not the only one!

Kaylore
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm "for" this move. I'd rather not be identified as any type of "guy". I'd say I like 75-80% of the moves Josh has made, and some of the others I don't agree with.

I was very confident Dumervil would get signed before camp and thought all the hand-wringing was worthless. I'm probably one of the few that takes Josh at his word and when he said they would make sure he stays with the team long term (something that wasn't said ever during the whole Cutler fiasco. In fact they told Cutler they could trade him) I believed him.

Does this mean that I have to like everything else he does? No. That would be as bad as the people that rip on every move he makes no matter what. You'll see the haters rip on this move simply because he decided to do it.

So I guess I'm saying I like this move and I'm pro-McDaniels because he's a Bronco. This is a major decision in a long list of decisions that I mostly agree with. I like that he's being decisive and consistent and not just punishing the bad but rewarding the good. I hope we win games, though. That's what this needs to lend to. We need to win.

baja
07-23-2010, 03:56 PM
See, I'm not the only one!

Come on you guys People have been signing up for the Josh bandwagon as an on going process. Even if I had listed the choices for oldest to newest by your arguements someone would have voted for an option less accurate because it was the first they somewhat agreed with.

Chris
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Where is

I was at Josh Mcdaniels' baptism
I delivered Josh Mcdaniels into this world
I have a Josh Mcdaniels doll on the side of my bed where my wife used to be

baja
07-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Where is

Which one best suits you?

OrangenBlueOhio
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Do you by any chance live in Florida?

LOL

Voted "no yet"

If he signs T.O. he's full of %$#@

steeledude
07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Because he made one good decision finally it's time to jump on the bandwagon! No way. Not until this team becomes a winner. If his ridiculous personnel decisions (other than this one, I will admit I am shocked we kept Doom, and shocked in a good way) pan out and we become a super powerhouse with the amazing Tebow being the next big thing, then yeah, I got to recant. But at this point I feel like a once proud franchise is heading into Detroit Lion/Kansas City Chief territory.

Is Tebow the next Elway? No. I'm not sure who we can compare him to. Maybe Brady Quinn can turn out great, I have hope in that. Of course both those guys can bust out. I remember a lot of big talk about Brodie Croyle too.

A lot of super talented athletes don't make it. Darius Watts is a perfect example. Apparently this guy who could make circus catches and had a wonderful rookie year turned out nerve damaged and dropped everything.

Josh has much to prove.

Chris
07-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Which one best suits you?

None. I have a Josh Mcdaniels vinyl on the inside of my bathtub where Amy Yasbeth used to be.

Unbelievable, or is it?

HILife
07-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Where is

I have Chris's wife on the side of my bed where my Josh Mcdaniels doll used to be.

Sometimes we like to switch off. Yea, we're freaks like that.

crazyhorse
07-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Personally, I like McD.

I haven't seen a team disassembled like this since the Herm Edwards show.

For several seasons no defense could stop the KC offense. Herm Edwards sure as hell did.

I could be wrong of course. But he has this team chopped up pretty good. I know many of you will find a way to be optimistic. But I have a hard time seeing how you will do as well as last season.

Im no pro personell guy though. Ive been wrong before. But I think you're in trouble. And not just for the short haul.

Kaylore
07-23-2010, 04:35 PM
But at this point I feel like a once proud franchise is heading into Detroit Lion/Kansas City Chief territory.

Based on what? That he took a crappy 8-8 team that had one of the easiest schedules in football and "ruined" them by turning them into an 8-8 team with one of the hardest? On what are you basing this "destruction" of the "once proud team?" We haven't been proud in half a decade and that was long before McDaniels was here.

baja
07-23-2010, 04:36 PM
None. I have a Josh Mcdaniels vinyl on the inside of my bathtub where Amy Yasbeth used to be.

Unbelievable, or is it?

So you like sitting on Josh's face, what does this mean?

baja
07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
<b>Because he made one good decision finally</b> it's time to jump on the bandwagon! No way. Not until this team becomes a winner. If his ridiculous personnel decisions (other than this one, I will admit I am shocked we kept Doom, and shocked in a good way) pan out and we become a super powerhouse with the amazing Tebow being the next big thing, then yeah, I got to recant. But at this point I feel like a once proud franchise is heading into Detroit Lion/Kansas City Chief territory.

Is Tebow the next Elway? No. I'm not sure who we can compare him to. Maybe Brady Quinn can turn out great, I have hope in that. Of course both those guys can bust out. I remember a lot of big talk about Brodie Croyle too.

A lot of super talented athletes don't make it. Darius Watts is a perfect example. Apparently this guy who could make circus catches and had a wonderful rookie year turned out nerve damaged and dropped everything.

Josh has much to prove.

..???

Chris
07-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Ask this man

http://www.freud-sigmund.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/sigmund-freud.jpg

Popps
07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
I was thinking of the reasons I dislike Josh running the team and what would change my mind about him and came up with the following:

- Marshall. Although this one is mostly that it followed Cutler. I can understand the move, and think there are other teams that would do the same, but I just can't accept losing two young pro bowlers in such a short period.

- Sheffler. This isn't that big of a deal but again we lost some good talent. I'm not saying he is a great pro bowler but he is a guy that creates matchup problems and helps stretch the field.

- Nolan. This was a great hire but we have now continued the revolving door at d coordinator. If it was that McDaniels didn't like how Nolan ran the defense then he is a dumbass for not doing his research on a coach that has been around forever. If it was just that Nolan wanted out to take the same job elsewhere, maybe McDaniels should have put on some knee pads or something. He needed to find a way to make Nolan stay. The "mutual" line just says that McDaniels hand picked coach didn't even want to work with him and that McDaniels didn't want his hand picked coach that was on the one side of the ball that improved(yes, I get that they were bad at the end. This doesn't change what I said).

- Orton. I do not understand leaving this team stuck with him as the best option. You get rid of Cutler for this? What the...?? Tebow can easily change my mind on this as he seems to be the guy McDaniels wants to really replace Cutler with. Even still, way to put the team back 4-5 years.

- Alphonso pick. I have nothing against Smith and I hope he turns out to be great. I will never think trading a first for a second is a good idea. The prospects at our first this year were guys that show a lot more potential than Smith. I just don't get why anyone would think that trade would ever be worth it. You can't see into the future to even begin to know what you are missing out on. It is a first round pick. Shanahan failed because he picked bad early(something that had turned around at the end but was to late) and couldn't get a good d coordinator.

- The first years direction and results. I agree with Bowlen. Why would we not pick more defense in the draft when we had the teams worst ever defense? How can you spend so many resources on an already good offense and get worse on that side? This is another reason Nolan leaving makes me mad. He did a lot with very little. I wish he would have stayed around long enough to get a decent front 7 to work with. I also just don't get the Madden generation aproach to the draft. He trades all over when he likely could get many of the players by sitting where he is. To me, it seems like he is trying to do far too much and he needs to settle down on draft day.

- Unleash the greatness of Tebow. I have hopes for Tebow and if he shows that he is a good Cutler replacement, I will be patient if we aren't winning right away. I wouldn't expect to win as much if we had a really young QB starting but you can still tell if they show promise or not.

- Continue doing what you do in free agency. I can't say I have many complaints when it comes to FA signings. This alone hasn't changed my opinion of McDaniels but it has helped. Also, the Elvis signing was a great move.

Just curious, did anyone read that?

It's like when the teachers on Charlie Brown talk.....

snowspot66
07-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Personally, I like McD.

I haven't seen a team disassembled like this since the Herm Edwards show.

For several seasons no defense could stop the KC offense. Herm Edwards sure as hell did.

I could be wrong of course. But he has this team chopped up pretty good. I know many of you will find a way to be optimistic. But I have a hard time seeing how you will do as well as last season.

Im no pro personell guy though. Ive been wrong before. But I think you're in trouble. And not just for the short haul.

You make it sound like he destroyed a Super Bowl winning team. The only thing keeping us going under Shanahan was Shanahan the coach. The players were mostly garbage as proven by the number of cut and now jobless/retired Broncos. Even the "good" players haven't exactly dominated since leaving.

I like our lines better than I have in years, our RB's are a far cry from Tatum Bell and Selvin young. Our receivers have the ability to be the deepest group we've had in ages if not one laden with superstars.

The overall talent of our team has actually gone up and the attitude is massively improved. Now we just need to have Orton be serviceable while hoping Tebow works out.

On paper our schedule is easier than last years. I don't see how we don't at least match 8-8. I think 10 is a very real possibility and what I'm hoping/expecting to happen.

OABB
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Just curious, did anyone read that?

It's like when the teachers on Charlie Brown talk.....

I hear a crying baby instead... But no, I didn't read it. Once he said he didn't have to explain why he didn't like the cutler move, I quit.

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2010, 05:38 PM
LMAO at the people who are saying the Broncos have been "destroyed" by McD! Last time I checked, the Broncos had one playoff victory in 10 years and that sucks.

wolf754life
07-23-2010, 05:46 PM
this was a bad move, the guy is one dimensional, his body won't hold up and when he loses his speed his productivity will fall of the face of the earth...........

jhns
07-23-2010, 06:04 PM
I hear a crying baby instead... But no, I didn't read it. Once he said he didn't have to explain why he didn't like the cutler move, I quit.

You can read about 2,985 posts of mine that explain that. I figured you guys knew.

Naggle Nole
07-23-2010, 06:14 PM
this was a bad move, the guy is one dimensional, his body won't hold up and when he loses his speed his productivity will fall of the face of the earth...........

So, just to make sure I am following you here...
It was a bad move because a 26 year old player who has never missed a game due to injury is suddenly going to get worn down in the prime of his career?
I understand the one dimensional argument and even made a huge post about it in his contract extension thread
However, I think the wearing down and loss-of-speed arguments are more applicable when he gets his contract after this one, when he will be 32

Hamrob
07-23-2010, 06:14 PM
I didn't vote because none of the options fit where I'm at with Mcdaniels.

For me, I'm still skeptical and need to see what he does in his 2nd season.

At this point, he just hasn't done much to impress.

FireFly
07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
The moment he got on board I jumped on.

I also jumped off the Shanny one a few years ago - so yeah this just confirms my McD fanboy status lol

I'm completely down with his team before individual philosophy. Is it going to work in the long term? I don't know. I hope so - but I like how it's shaping up.

Hamrob
07-23-2010, 06:32 PM
You make it sound like he destroyed a Super Bowl winning team. The only thing keeping us going under Shanahan was Shanahan the coach. The players were mostly garbage as proven by the number of cut and now jobless/retired Broncos. Even the "good" players haven't exactly dominated since leaving.

I like our lines better than I have in years, our RB's are a far cry from Tatum Bell and Selvin young. Our receivers have the ability to be the deepest group we've had in ages if not one laden with superstars.

The overall talent of our team has actually gone up and the attitude is massively improved. Now we just need to have Orton be serviceable while hoping Tebow works out.

On paper our schedule is easier than last years. I don't see how we don't at least match 8-8. I think 10 is a very real possibility and what I'm hoping/expecting to happen.I've warmed on McDaniels and I'm actually wishing him well.

I like both the offensive and defensive line talent as you do...but, I think the ZBS was our bread and butter for a very long time and I'm not sold on the power run system.

No question - the Dline this year has to be better than years past. But, lets not forget, McD did nothing for our poor dline last year.

Sure, everyone wants to point fingers and say what they will about Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler, Royal etc. but, they were a very solid and very young offense.

I often wonder how good we might have been, had McDaniels kept that offense in place and solely focused on the defense. I think we would be looking at a potential 12-4 season this year.

As it turns out, I agree with you 10 wins will be probably where we end up.

Truly, the only way anyone can say that it was a good decision to bring McDaniels in, is if we make the playoffs and start winning again. If McDaniels fails to make the playoffs this year and stumbles again next year...he'll be gone.

I just wonder what all the folks who are milking his ego will be saying if that happens?

OABB
07-23-2010, 06:53 PM
you can read about 2,985 posts of mine that explain that. I figured you guys knew.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you.

crazyhorse
07-23-2010, 06:58 PM

On paper our schedule is easier than last years. I don't see how we don't at least match 8-8. I think 10 is a very real possibility and what I'm hoping/expecting to happen.

If it were my team, I would have preferred the line where I could run and pass the footnall. All the offense is capaable of as of last season was to play small ball, with no run game. If there was one thing a Shanahan team could do is run the ball.

You're talking about winning more games than last year, but how are you going to score points.

Your D was exposed by the end of last season, you dont have those games they won for ya.

I think you guys foget how you arrived at your record. You went 6-0 to start. By the end of the year you were one of the worst teams in the NFL. Not a mid tier team. You guys couldn't beat the Chiefs by the end of the season, and we were awful. C'mon.

Popps
07-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I think you guys foget how you arrived at your record. You went 6-0 to start. By the end of the year you were one of the worst teams in the NFL. Not a mid tier team. You guys couldn't beat the Chiefs by the end of the season, and we were awful. C'mon.

True, but KC almost always plays two good games a year... against us.

We were bad in the 2nd half, but we dealt with a lot of injuries and internal strife.

We also played over our heads in the first half.

The real truth last year was... we were a .500 team. We just arrived there in a very unconventional way. But, we were probably a .500 talent all along.

Big need areas were addressed this off-season, so we'll see what happens.

BroncoMan4ever
07-23-2010, 08:59 PM

i am sick of seeing so many crying about Cutler, Marsh, Scheff and Hillis and Nolan.

Cutler was not a worthy pro bowler, and people need to quit tossing that out as a sign of greatness when associated with him. look at his career thus far, he is a strong armed head case who seems to make at least 1 or 2 stupid mistakes a game and has no desire to work on improving his game. he is Jeff George of this decade.

Marsh is a great talent, but his me 1st attitude and general stupidity being gone is an addition by subtraction to this team.

Scheff, give me a break. not many people complained when he was a non-factor most of the time under Shanahan, but when he is a non factor in a McD offense and suddenly it is a travesty.

Nolan and McD are both control freaks who couldn't coexist together. sure he greatly improved the Defense, but he still needs to defer to the man who brought him into the DC in Denver in the 1st place. he wouldn't defer and he is gone(OF IS OWN FREE WILL) also his celebrated defense collapsed in the 2nd half of the season.

Orton gets far too much crap for a situation he can't control. Is it his fault he is the best option for the team this season? there was no one better available who could come in for 1 season and hold down the job for our QBOTF and be a drastic improvement over Orton

I will give you the Smith pick as well as the TE i can't remember his name right now in the value we gave up to get them

i don't mean to start an argument, just trying to get a point across showing a sort of opposite view point.

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2010, 09:19 PM
If it were my team, I would have preferred the line where I could run and pass the footnall. All the offense is capaable of as of last season was to play small ball, with no run game. If there was one thing a Shanahan team could do is run the ball.

You're talking about winning more games than last year, but how are you going to score points.

Your D was exposed by the end of last season, you dont have those games they won for ya.

Um, yah. I'm positive this team gets more wins this coming year.

jhns
07-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry, I can't hear you.

Are you still crying? You get upset easily.

strafen
07-23-2010, 11:36 PM
I'll reserve judgment until the end of the season.
He's got his people and coaches now. He's got some good FA signings to help the defense and a couple of draftees who could contribute right away this year.
It will be interesting to see how it all comes together.
The QB play once again will be a question mark and the key that will determine the final outcome...

baja
07-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Does help the vote?

5 Questions (or more) with Josh McDaniels, Part 1

T. Tebow (US Presswire) Josh McDaniels' first season and a half as head coach of the Denver Broncos has been one of the more spectacularly bloggable things in recent NFL history: whether it's trading his biggest name stars, or starting 6-0, or beating his old boss, or confidence, or drafting Tim Tebow in the first round ... the list goes on and on.

Fortunately, we were able to speak with McDaniels about all of these things in a recent interview, thanks to the kind folks at Gatorade, the NFL, and a group of charitable foundations who are partnering in the "Beat the Heat" program, dedicated to raising hydration awareness during training camp.

CBS Sports : Wanna ask you first -- you're working with Gatorade and the NFL on the Beat the Heat program. How big a factor is hydration awareness in your training camp preparation?

Josh McDaniels : Well, it's huge for us, and you're right -- the NFL and the Broncos have partnered with Gatorade on the Beat the Heat program. We certainly understand the importance of hydration and refueling our athletes in the summer months and really, that's the entire purpose of the program, to really focus on how to prevent heat-related illnesses and fight them. It requires us to constantly remind our athletes to hydrate before, during and after all their activities that we put them through in training camp.

And we have Gatorade all over the building -- in the cafeteria, in our locker rooms, in our meeting rooms, they have it at the hotel they stay in during training camp and we encourage them to drink as much as possible. And for any athlete or parent that wants to learn more about what we're doing with Gatorade, they can go to NFL.com/trainingcamp and for every download [of the awareness packet] Gatorade will donate $1 to fight heat-related illnesses.

CBS : Well, it's a fantastic program -- raises awareness and reminds us that football's on the way ... Speaking of which, you shipped Brandon Marshall to South Beach in the offseason and then drafted Demaryius Thomas in the first round. Can he step up and replace Brandon as a No. 1 option for you?

JMcD : Well, we certainly aren't going to necessarily place that burden on one player as we go into this training camp in 2010. Brandon's certainly a special player and he'll do good things for the Dolphins. But we have a pretty diverse group of receivers: DeMaryius certainly is going to add speed, length and size to that group and we're really excited about his future here in Denver.

We've also got some football players that were productive for us that are coming back: [Jabar] Gaffney , Stokley , [Eddie] Royal ... Brandon Lloyd had a great spring, Kenny McKinley is a kid that's up and coming, Matt Willis and certainly Eric Decker who we drafted in the third round too. We've got four or five players now who are over six feet tall, we're probably bigger than any wide receiver corps that I've ever been a part of in the NFL, and we're excited about some of the things we're gonna try to do with those big players.

DeMaryius ... we're gonna coach him hard and give him the opportunity to learn our system and be productive in it, but we've got some players -- along with him, that he'll be competing with -- that we feel also can be productive and hopefully there's a bunch of them that'll make plays for us this year.

[B]CBS: One more thing on DeMaryius -- he played in Paul Johnson's system at Georgia Tech ... is him adjusting, especially in terms of route-running, because it's more simplistic there, is him adjusting to your system a big concern?

JMcD: It's certainly something that's gonna take some time for him to adjust to some of the things that we'll ask him to do. But he's a big receiver, and I think anyone would be lying to you if they said big receivers had a route tree that consists of 25 routes. We're not gonna try to do things that don't make sense to do with our bigger receivers and we certainly have some smaller receivers that aren't going to do some of the things that he can do. So, we're gonna try and put him in a position where he can use his strengths to help us, and we're certainly not going to shy away to try and work with him on improving his route-running in different areas, but, you know, we feel like he can be a productive player for us and we'll constantly try and improve every area of his game.

CBS: Alright, last season was a rollercoaster in terms of the way you guys started ... it was the story of the NFL and then obviously a disappointing finish. How do you manage expectations coming into 2010?

JMcD: Well, we're just focused on ourselves. We know we've got a lot of practice ahead of us before we enter into the regular season. And we're gonna try and take our football team as far as we can in the month of August and the beginning part of September before we start at Jacksonville. We can't really worry about the past and we can't focus too far into the future -- we're gonna try and take it day-to-day and we feel like we've put a solid nucleus of players in the locker room that will lead us this season and into the future and we're really excited about our opportunity to improve in areas we struggled in last year and we feel like we made some key additions both through free agency and the draft, and we're excited to see how it all unfolds this year.

http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cb...;entry23373453 (http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/23373453?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23373453)

5 Questions (or more) with Josh McDaniels, Part 2

CBS Sports : [Laughing a little] I'm sure you're gonna be sick of this question fairly soon, but, um ... Tim Tebow -- he seems to almost be the biggest story in the NFL sometimes. How early is he gonna see the field in 2010?

Josh McDaniels: [Laughing a lot] We're excited about having Tim here on our team. And he understands that he's got a lot of improvements to make and a long way to go to be exactly what you want an NFL quarterback to be in terms of experience and all those things. And he's got a solid player ahead of him in Kyle Orton , and Brady Quinn has also done some good things in the spring, so we feel like we've got a great group of QBs that are different in their own way, so it should be a very competitive situation.

Kyle's certainly out in front and had a great spring for us this year, but Tim's got some unique skills and there's certainly no boundary on what we may try to do with any of our skill players, and Tim may allow us to do some things a little differently. So we'll kind of see how those things unfold during the course of training camp and the preseason and I think that'll all -- how productive he can be and what other skills he presents us with -- that'll all … time will tell how we'll use different packages and that kind of thing. But he's in a competitive battle right now and he's got a long way to go and I'm sure he'll keep his head down and keep working, but we're happy to have him here in Denver.

CBS: Alright, reader Joe Schlobotnik submitted the top question on our Facebook page (Ed. Note: Go here and like CBS Sports on Facebook and you too can have your questions asked in interviews!) , and it fits well here: Tebow -- hypothetically if he's on the field -- would he be the type of guy that you'd want as the triggerman in the "Wild Horse"?

JMcD: [Chuckling] No, the Wild Horse is different -- it's a different element for us. It's a little different than the Wildcat and if we were using the Wild Horse package, which we certainly used some last year, it would certainly be a halfback back there and it would likely be Knowshon [Moreno] or [Correll Buckhalter ]. But like I said, Tim's got some different skills and that's what training camp is for, to really kind of poke and prod on your football team and to find out exactly what you're going to look like when you ultimately unveil it the first few weeks of the season and then grow from there. We're gonna experiment a little bit with a lot of different things in terms of our system, and we've made a lot of different changes both offensively and defensively and we'll see how Tim factors in.

CBS: Good deal -- one more Tebow question and I swear I'll stop. I've seen several local media members -- I believe mostly local -- who have tied your legacy as Broncos coach directly to drafting Tebow in the past draft. Do you think that's a fair statement or a fair approach to take?

JMcD: I'm not really concerned with my "legacy." I think any coach's or player's story will be told by how much they won, how much they didn't, how many championship teams they were a part of, did they happen to get to a Super Bowl and win one, or multiples. We're focused on trying to get our football team to play as well as we can and Tim is just one small part of that -- we know that. It takes 53 players on the roster and a ton of people in the organization, coaching staff and personnel department to make a team successful, and we're certainly not going to put that burden on one player, and I'm not worried about what somebody else says my legacy is. I know if we win, that's the best solution for all of us, that's the best medicine we can all have, and certainly that's what we're gonna try to do.

CBS: No, that's fair. People have used the word "brash" to describe -- I guess it's attitude -- do you think that being honest and direct, and if you want to use the word "brash," to the media, do you think that's something that benefits you as an NFL head coach in the short term or long term?

JMcD: I think I just … try to do the best I can at my job and make the decisions that we feel like are in the best interests in putting the best team on the field. You know, that's somebody else is coining those terms and most of the people that may say things like that maybe don't really know me. And I'm not really concerned about that -- as I said, I'm focused on trying to win. And as I said before, if we win, I don't know that many people are gonna call you anything other than "successful," so, we're hoping to put a team out there that can do that and be competitive each week and we've got a long way to go in training camp to get ready for 2010.

CBS: Good deal. I'll get you out on this -- aside from the obvious names we've mentioned so far, give us one name to watch in training camp, whose performance in training camp you guys are anticipating might surprise the general fan.

JMcD: Well, there's a lot of players that are looking to improve. One player that really stood out in the spring because of his versatility, and because of some of the things he added to our defense is Nate Jones. We signed Nate as a free agent from Miami -- he can play inside as the nickleback, he played outside at corner, we moved him to safety … he's a very smart player, a very cerebral guy who fits in great with our veteran players in the secondary and we're really excited to what he may bring to our defense and how we can use Nate's skills to really improve our team

baja
07-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Forty seven posters or 63% of the voters said they have been on the Josh McD bandwagon from the begining. Interesting?

2KBack
07-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Forty seven posters or 63% of the voters said they have been on the Josh McD bandwagon from the begining. Interesting?

Silent majority.

snowspot66
07-24-2010, 10:07 AM
I've warmed on McDaniels and I'm actually wishing him well.

I like both the offensive and defensive line talent as you do...but, I think the ZBS was our bread and butter for a very long time and I'm not sold on the power run system.

No question - the Dline this year has to be better than years past. But, lets not forget, McD did nothing for our poor dline last year.

Sure, everyone wants to point fingers and say what they will about Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler, Royal etc. but, they were a very solid and very young offense.

I often wonder how good we might have been, had McDaniels kept that offense in place and solely focused on the defense. I think we would be looking at a potential 12-4 season this year.

As it turns out, I agree with you 10 wins will be probably where we end up.

Truly, the only way anyone can say that it was a good decision to bring McDaniels in, is if we make the playoffs and start winning again. If McDaniels fails to make the playoffs this year and stumbles again next year...he'll be gone.

I just wonder what all the folks who are milking his ego will be saying if that happens?

I don't think there were many options for the dline last year. But it was pretty obvious the secondary had managed to get even worse than the line and that was patched up pretty well.

It would have been nice to have Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler develop together with McDaniels leading but that was never going to happen. They take criticism so poorly that I doubt he could have ever coached them up. The quality leadership was so lacking in that group I don't know if we ever could have done anything with them. If Cutler comes out again this year and puts up 25+ picks I think we can all finally forget any dreams of greatness we once held for him.

snowspot66
07-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Again you make it sound worse than it was. Yeah we lost a lot of games in the second half. But they were hardly blowouts. We were in pretty much every game into the late 3rd and early 4th. Even against Baltimore and Pittsburgh where we played like ****. Some games we should have flat out won like the Redskins game. When a team finishes 8-8 and is competitive in every game (even the Colts game) but not dominating that doesn't say to me they are a horrible team. It says they're an average team.

All of that happened with a new coach, a new offense, a new QB, a new RB, a mostly new defense, and injuries to key lineman, the QB, and the RB's.

I think you're forgetting just how bad the team was those last three years under Shanahan. Yeah they could move the ball but the points scored wasn't much better. Our problem on offense remains the red zone. Not moving the ball. Which I do think we'll be better at this year.

Cito Pelon
07-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I really hate tryants.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-24-2010, 08:05 PM

Not to mention, he installed a completely (incredibly complicated) new offense using parts that didn't exactly fit. Now, in year two, players have gotten used to the new system and more of his type of guys are in place to run it. You're talking like its impossible for players to improve?

scttgrd
07-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Not to mention, he installed a completely (incredibly complicated) new offense using parts that didn't exactly fit. Now, in year two, players have gotten used to the new system and more of his type of guys are in place to run it. You're talking like its impossible for players to improve?

Oh yeah, screen to the left, screen to the right, screen to the left tackle and run it up the gut for no gain. Damn, wish I would have thought of that. I too could have been a coach in the NFL.

snowspot66
07-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Oh yeah, screen to the left, screen to the right, screen to the left tackle and run it up the gut for no gain. Damn, wish I would have thought of that. I too could have been a coach in the NFL.

Don't be dense. Everybody knows it's a complex offense.

scttgrd
07-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Don't be dense. Everybody knows it's a complex offense.

No doubt, it was the kind of complex offense that put Orton on a short leash and had Royal without a clue. I can't imagine what the offensive genius has in store for the team this year. Might we see a post or go route, no it couldn't be. That would be too usual for the NFL, more tackle screens or I back runs on third and short would be the order of the day. Oh boy might we see a QB option with Tebow next? What would the world be coming too?

crazyhorse
07-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Why would you expect players to improve over last season when they regressed over last season? As the team became more and more Josh's team, they progressively got worse. As he took Nolan more and more out of the defense they got worse. Now you have less skill players than before but feel like you have improved. You are saying that rookies with no experience will be better than veteran players in a new offense.

I just dont agree with that. It could happen i guess. But it would be the exception, not the rule.

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I mean, the Chiefs have a lot of problems too. But I realize that. You guys act like you are on an uptick with no signs of it what so ever. I hope for your sake you are right. But the signs just aren't as evident to me as they are to you.

snowspot66
07-25-2010, 09:56 AM
No doubt, it was the kind of complex offense that put Orton on a short leash and had Royal without a clue. I can't imagine what the offensive genius has in store for the team this year. Might we see a post or go route, no it couldn't be. That would be too usual for the NFL, more tackle screens or I back runs on third and short would be the order of the day. Oh boy might we see a QB option with Tebow next? What would the world be coming too?

Feel free to keep hating and being bitter. I'll take the word of Brady and the New England offensive players over yours.

chadta
07-25-2010, 10:02 AM
+1. They should have football during the summer time. That would set the Summer over the top. I'm pretty sure the players won't mind the extra heat.

we do its called CFL

and its really not that bad, keeping in mind that these are all players not quite good enough to play in the nfl.

its 3 down football, alot of passing, clock stops in the final 2 minutes, 25 second play clock, it really is entertaining, and moves alot faster then the nfl.

back when i had directv i remember seeing games on some of the fox sports channels, try watching it sometime.

colonelbeef
07-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Still no QB, and the offense has taken a massive step backward across the board.

No QB= no titles.

No prospect of titles= not a fan

misturanderson
07-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Still no QB, and the offense has taken a massive step backward across the board.

No QB= no titles.

No prospect of titles= not a fan
How has the offense gotten worse across the board again?

OL=improved, RB=(at least) mildly improved, QB=same or improved (with less flash), TE=mildly worse. Of course these are all based on last year and assumes that none of our rookies will improve. It also assumes that our OL is healthy (which McD has literally 0 effect on) and that the rookies at least perform up to the sup-par standards of last year's interior OL.

The only position that I see that has significantly worsened is WR and that is at least 60% on Marshall for his attitude and desire to leave Denver. We also will hopefully see a WR corps that relies less on one player and is full of players that complement each other instead of having a bunch of players with overlapping skills.

It is good that you totally disregarded the fact that the defense improved pretty much across the board though, since that would be counter-productive to your sandy vagina.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Why would you expect players to improve over last season when they regressed over last season? As the team became more and more Josh's team, they progressively got worse. As he took Nolan more and more out of the defense they got worse. Now you have less skill players than before but feel like you have improved. You are saying that rookies with no experience will be better than veteran players in a new offense.

I just dont agree with that. It could happen i guess. But it would be the exception, not the rule.

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I mean, the Chiefs have a lot of problems too. But I realize that. You guys act like you are on an uptick with no signs of it what so ever. I hope for your sake you are right. But the signs just aren't as evident to me as they are to you.

this is a TON of speculation. The more they became Josh's team, they regressed? WTF? As far as I can tell, he was our coach all season, it was his style all season. There are tons of reasons the broncos failed last season, none have to do with what you said. Also, this is a classic case of fans thinking its all about coaching. Its not McD and Nolan's fault that the lines were getting blown off the ball toward the end of the season.

And of course your team gets better the longer youre in a system. Look at the broncos from 95-96.

crazyhorse
07-25-2010, 06:18 PM
this is a TON of speculation. The more they became Josh's team, they regressed? WTF? As far as I can tell, he was our coach all season, it was his style all season. There are tons of reasons the broncos failed last season, none have to do with what you said. Also, this is a classic case of fans thinking its all about coaching. Its not McD and Nolan's fault that the lines were getting blown off the ball toward the end of the season.

And of course your team gets better the longer youre in a system. Look at the broncos from 95-96.

0 speculation. Josh has had the team for 1 season. Over that season the team got worse as the year wore on. Nolan left because Josh didn't like how he coached the defense. I thought it was fairly common knowlege that Josh put his hand on the defense more as the season wore on. If that isn't the case then what can I say. Maybe im wrong? I'll say it.

But speculation isnt the problem with my post. It's the logic you're struggling with.

Im basing my opinion on the fact you have lost every playmaker on your offense since he got here. Edwards did the same thing with the Chiefs. Now the defense can improve. But how much improvent do you expect there. They (IMO) will need to be your best unit. I dont think they will be able to carry the team enough to be competitive this season. I've been exactly where you're standing. Watching all the wholesale changes happen wanting to look at the positive side of everything. But in the end it came dawn to....we didn't have as many playmakers on the team.

Maybe it will shake out in a positive way with you guys. If it does, great. But it looks eerily similar to something we are trying to overcome since Herm Edwards took over our team. Im not saying they have similar coaching styles. But they look the same where "head scratcher' moves, and "WTF" excuses are concerned.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-25-2010, 06:23 PM
0 speculation. Josh has had the team for 1 season. Over that season the team got worse as the year wore on. Nolan left because Josh didn't like how he coached the defense. I thought it was fairly common knowlege that Josh put his hand on the defense more as the season wore on. If that isn't the case then what can I say. Maybe im wrong? I'll say it.

But speculation isnt the problem with my post. It's the logic you're struggling with.

Im basing my opinion on the fact you have lost every playmaker on your offense since he got here. Edwards did the same thing with the Chiefs. Now the defense can improve. But how much improvent do you expect there. They (IMO) will need to be your best unit. I dont think they will be able to carry the team enough to be competitive this season. I've been exactly where you're standing. Watching all the wholesale changes happen wanting to look at the positive side of everything. But in the end it came dawn to....we didn't have as many playmakers on the team.

Maybe it will shake out in a positive way with you guys. If it does, great. But it looks eerily similar to something we are trying to overcome since Herm Edwards took over our team. Im not saying they have similar coaching styles. But they look the same where "head scratcher' moves, and "WTF" excuses are concerned.

I wasn't commenting on losing playmakers...i was commenting on the "more this became Josh's team, the worse they became." Within the course of a season. The Patriots offense played pretty well without playmakers (though obviously they had Tom Brady.) But everything is speculation, and though we lost playmakers, there's no reason Thomas, Royal, and Moreno can't be.

errand
07-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Based on what? That he took a crappy 8-8 team that had one of the easiest schedules in football and "ruined" them by turning them into an 8-8 team with one of the hardest? On what are you basing this "destruction" of the "once proud team?" We haven't been proud in half a decade and that was long before McDaniels was here.

Exactly...the Broncos have been mediocre since '06...well since week 12 of '06. I keep reading all these posters who act like Josh broke up the '74-'80 Steelers. He accomplished the same thing Mike did with arguably a tougher schedule, and lesser known talents as a rookie head coach.

For all their pro bowl talent and ability to create match-up problems, we still never finished better than .500 with Jay, Brandon, Scheffler, and Hillis.

TomServo
07-26-2010, 12:43 AM
lesse, two-two four game losing streaks( team history) our coach dancing after he beat a crappy tom brady(missed two touchdowns) patriots. made us forget about the year before collapse. got spotted 6-0 and still finished 8-8.
Bullshi t! get spotted 6-0 and finish 8-8. o yay we finished 8-8
o yay we went 8-8. we got beat at home by the chargers raiders and chiefs. but we went 8-8.

TomServo
07-26-2010, 12:44 AM
i mean dancing after we beat a crappy pats team. did shanny ever dance after he beat the raiders
?

snowspot66
07-26-2010, 12:48 AM
i mean dancing after we beat a crappy pats team. did shanny ever dance after he beat the raiders
?

Wow. That's some serious revisionist history you have going there.

Crappy Pats team? The same Pats team that finished with the 3 seed in the AFC? That ****ty team?

strafen
07-26-2010, 12:59 AM
For all their pro bowl talent and ability to create match-up problems, we still never finished better than .500 with Jay, Brandon, Scheffler, and Hillis.Because we didn't have an adequate defense to go with out powerfull offense.
So, it's the same thing with McDaniels to finish no better than .500 with a top-ten defense...
It works both ways, and you'll come up with the same conclusion no matter what angle you take...

ELEVATION
07-26-2010, 02:16 AM
I'm on nobdy's bandwagon but my own......that being said i respect Josh and his beliefs, and his work so far(dont agree with it all, but i respect his methods none the less), but wins need to start happening NOW!!!!!

Mediator12
07-26-2010, 09:22 AM
I was already on the bandwagon, just a lot more reserved about how long his new schemes would take to turn the team around from being mediocre. This team finally has a new attitude and a sense of purpose that it had lost under Shanahan.

Every coach wears out his welcome over time. The good ones leave before it affects their teams. Shanny just could not let go of the awesome situation he had in DEN. I would have struggled to leave too. Its a shame he had to be fired, but he has tremendous pressure on him to win in WAS. We all know he is up to the task after sitting, resting, and refocusing for a year. Thank God he is in the NFC!

TonyR
07-26-2010, 10:04 AM
...got spotted 6-0...

So the Broncos were given those 6 wins?

Rabb
07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
?

you really are an idiot

TheReverend
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I was already on the bandwagon, just a lot more reserved about how long his new schemes would take to turn the team around from being mediocre. This team finally has a new attitude and a sense of purpose that it had lost under Shanahan.

Every coach wears out his welcome over time. The good ones leave before it affects their teams. Shanny just could not let go of the awesome situation he had in DEN. I would have struggled to leave too. Its a shame he had to be fired, but he has tremendous pressure on him to win in WAS. We all know he is up to the task after sitting, resting, and refocusing for a year. Thank God he is in the NFC!

Behold a pale horse...

Mediator12
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Behold a pale horse...

I thought Y2K was over.....

TheReverend
07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
I thought Y2K was over.....

Y2Mike is just beginning... again

Popps
07-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Excellent, T to B.

ELEVATION
07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
?

he wanted to, but he stopped wanting to after they owned his ass the last couple years to close the season out.....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Excellent, T to B.

Tom to Brandstater?

dbfan21
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
That crazy Josh McDaniels...I can't believe he let THIS guy go!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/deDtwnb_OQ0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/deDtwnb_OQ0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:clown: :sunshine:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-27-2010, 12:30 PM
That crazy Josh McDaniels...I can't believe he let THIS guy go!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/deDtwnb_OQ0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/deDtwnb_OQ0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:clown: :sunshine:

God, that just never gets old.

TheReverend
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM

First time I caught it. I love the guy and I even I lol'd hard

dbfan21
07-27-2010, 12:57 PM

I know! It was the first time I saw it too. Five picks in one game...the last one coming in the red zone with the game on the line.

As great as we all made him out to be, those games would have made me suicidal if he was still a Bronco.

Ray Finkle
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
I love the guy

after all these years, it comes out.....I guess all those pics were beards....

Kaylore
07-27-2010, 01:20 PM

I've never seen that. That's hilarious.

Irish Stout
07-27-2010, 01:29 PM

First time I saw that too. For all the talk about Tebow's throwing mechanics, I really thought Jay's looked pretty bad in that clip.