PDA

View Full Version : USC Revokes Bush's Heisman

oubronco
07-20-2010, 05:28 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/NFL/article_external/USC_Revokes_Removes_Bush_Heisman_Trophy/2913368

SonOfLe-loLang
07-20-2010, 05:34 PM
OK, ill erase my memory of his college career. This retroactive revoking of championships, awards, etc is nothing short of retarded

OABB
07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
he's gonna have to hire o.j. to get it back.

BroncoMatt
07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Reggie still keeps his, USC is just sending their trophy back.

El Jué
07-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Reggie still keeps his, USC is just sending their trophy back.

Makes sense. USC can't really "revoke" an honor they didn't award.

Rohirrim
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
What an asinine move. No matter what happened off the field (and that was nit picky ****), Bush earned that trophy on the field.

rmsanger
07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
They should have pawn'd it... need to find some way to pay these kids without scholarships..

hookemhess
07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
What an asinine move. No matter what happened off the field (and that was nit picky ****), Bush earned that trophy on the field.

When Bush, Leinart, and VY were all on the field together....it was no question to every person in that stadium & everyone at home who the best player in college football was.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/college/_photos/2006-01-05-inside-young2.jpg

bronco militia
07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iaRW4fA7l_o/SlAWfo_q9II/AAAAAAAAANY/vLs-zNALEQ4/s400/sour+grapes.jpg

ColoradoDarin
07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Makes sense, especially if U$C wants to show the NCAA they are 'clean'.

SoCalBronco
07-20-2010, 09:16 PM

No he didn't. You can't earn anything on the field if you aren't eligible to step on the field.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-20-2010, 10:23 PM
No he didn't. You can't earn anything on the field if you aren't eligible to step on the field.

Whatever, he's being made an example of. All major college athletes get these benefits. I know someone who was on the USC team with Bush and he more or less confirmed that

SoCalBronco
07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Whatever, he's being made an example of. All major college athletes get these benefits. I know someone who was on the USC team with Bush and he more or less confirmed that

USC isn't being made an example of any more than any other high profile programs who suffered through probation were. If they were the only big time program that got nailed in recent memory your argument would have merit, but they aren't, so it doesn't. If Alabama and Miami took their lumps (and Michigan is about to take their lumps), why shouldn't USC?

The best thing about all of this is that it couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-20-2010, 11:39 PM
USC isn't being made an example of any more than any other high profile programs who suffered through probation were. If they were the only big time program that got nailed in recent memory your argument would have merit, but they aren't, so it doesn't. If Alabama and Miami took their lumps (and Michigan is about to take their lumps), why shouldn't USC?

The best thing about all of this is that it couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase.

Im not saying there shouldnt be punishment again USC, im saying Reggie Bush shouldnt be stripped of anything.

broncocalijohn
07-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Bush helped get the school on probation so why should USC look up to him? I have an #8 jersey and would be embarrassed right now to wear it. He did the school wrong and got what HE wanted and left USC to take responsibility for his actions. Sure, SC did other things wrong but I still havent heard anything from him on an apology.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Bush helped get the school on probation so why should USC look up to him? I have an #8 jersey and would be embarrassed right now to wear it. He did the school wrong and got what HE wanted and left USC to take responsibility for his actions. Sure, SC did other things wrong but I still havent heard anything from him on an apology.

Reggie was 5

Kaylore
07-21-2010, 12:11 AM
This.

Jason in LA
07-21-2010, 06:17 AM

Actually, the penalty was excessive. I believe Alabama was caught paying players. In USC's case it was somebody who was not part of the program. The USC basketball team did way worse than the football team. The head coach paid for a player. But they only got one year punishment.

I'm in no way saying that USC shouldn't have been punished. They had to be, or any college could claim that they didn't know what was going on. But the penalty was greater than what it should have been.

Rohirrim
07-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Talk about going over the top. What does the fanbase have to do with the off-field issues of Bush and his agent - or even the program? That's like saying that because the University of Miami was basically a criminal organization for many years that the whole fanbase is also criminals. That would be an idiotic leap of logic, wouldn't it?

Cito Pelon
07-21-2010, 09:38 AM
OK, ill erase my memory of his college career. This retroactive revoking of championships, awards, etc is nothing short of retarded

There has to be consequences for illegal actions.

Rohirrim
07-21-2010, 09:41 AM
There has to be consequences for illegal actions.

I agree. Interesting that a guy who posts the unindicted criminal, Nixon, as his avatar argues the same thing. Ha!

Drunk Monkey
07-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Talk about going over the top. What does the fanbase have to do with the off-field issues of Bush and his agent - or even the program? That's like saying that because the University of Miami was basically a criminal organization for many years that the whole fanbase is also criminals. That would be an idiotic leap of logic, wouldn't it?

Its not about the fan base, they are collateral damage. It is about the program. It is USC's responsibility that all their players are abiding by the rules. It is their job to enforce the rules. That is why they are being punished. Simply saying we didn't know he was doing something wrong is no excuse.

As for them returning the trophy, they had to. One of the conditions of their punishment is to disassociate themselves from Bush and Mayo.

oubronco
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Rhett Bomar didn't get away with it and he didn't win jack

Meck77
07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Meanwhile the real scum bag Pete Carrol jumped ship and is enjoying a $33,000,000 salary with the seahawks.

Kaylore
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Im not saying there shouldnt be punishment again USC, im saying Reggie Bush shouldnt be stripped of anything.

That's make no sense at all. Reggie Bush is the one who accepted money and bribes. If nothing else at least he should be punished.

chex
07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
I have no problem with it. You can't allow these athletes complete immunity from actions like this. A precedent needs to be set, otherwise what reason does someone like Reggie Bush have to not accept bribes and favors to play at a certain school? He's just as guilty as the school is. If the players' legacies can't be touched, then why doesn't every recruit shop himself to the highest bidder?

Cito Pelon
07-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Meanwhile the real scum bag Pete Carrol jumped ship and is enjoying a $33,000,000 salary with the seahawks.

Carrol jumped ship fast, eh? :thumbsup:

hades
07-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Reggie was 5

Dang, he got into college young!

lex
07-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Thats not what was said. He never said the fanbase was guilty of what the program was. The fanbase comment was an aside.

And its not just Bush. Also remember that Jarrett, was living with Leinart in an apartment that was paid for by Leinart's dad. This seems minor but when you look at all the other stuff that was going on and how there was a lack of compliance/control, it matters.