PDA

View Full Version : Modular Homes

loborugger
07-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I am moving and I am thinking about buying a couple of acres and putting a modular home on it. Anyone else ever done this? Any pitfalls/warnings?

Thanks

bronco militia
07-20-2010, 08:13 AM
chief fans love em.....but watch out for tornado's

baja
07-20-2010, 08:17 AM
I am moving and I am thinking about buying a couple of acres and putting a modular home on it. Anyone else ever done this? Any pitfalls/warnings?

Thanks

There some good ones out there but there is some real garbage

Some of them are built with very toxic materials so choose carefully and look for a company that builds "green". It is worth it to pay the extra.

Archer81
07-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Depends on what you mean by modular. In Colorado they have a company in Pueblo West that builds actual houses in two parts. They set the foundation or basement, then in two days get the house set up and ready to go.

:Broncos:

broncosteven
07-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Depends on what you mean by modular. In Colorado they have a company in Pueblo West that builds actual houses in two parts. They set the foundation or basement, then in two days get the house set up and ready to go.

My Brother-in-law was going to do this but they had an issue with the village due to water hookup and they sold the property and bought existing. He said it would take 2 days for a 4 bedroom house with most of the kitchen and baths installed.

loborugger
07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
There some good ones out there but there is some real garbage

Some of them are built with very toxic materials so choose carefully and look for a company that builds "green". It is worth it to pay the extra.

Ya, I hear ya. I am not looking for a trailer home - besides, the VA wont finance a mobile home anyways.

loborugger
07-20-2010, 11:36 AM

I think this comes in more parts than 2, but its a similar concept.

broncswin
07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
this is the same thing we are looking at doing right now...we just sold our house and have a lot that we are either going to put a stick built on, or go with a company who builds them in a controlled enviroment and then brings them in (4-5) pieces in all...have you thought about who you are going with?

oubronco
07-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe you should ask Bob he should know

Captain 'Dre
07-20-2010, 01:12 PM

If it has an actual foundation, I don't think it's a modular home.

Not certain, but that's my understanding.

loborugger
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
this is the same thing we are looking at doing right now...we just sold our house and have a lot that we are either going to put a stick built on, or go with a company who builds them in a controlled enviroment and then brings them in (4-5) pieces in all...have you thought about who you are going with?

Palm Harbor or Karston. To be honest, I havent looked too much, but my wife has been looking a ton... all online. We are going to go on a house hunting trip next month and at that time we this will be option we will consider (vs purchasing an existing home).

Whose house are you looking at/considering?

baja
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Palm Harbor is one of the better ones.

Maybe it has changed but when I was selling land in Az. for modular homes they were different then site built homes in that they depriciated rather than appriciate. You should check this Also be sure to check for toxic materials used in the prefab home.

Moon§hiner
07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Just make sure that your contract covers entire setup of everything and no hidden costs...set up hvac in two modulars recently where the homeowner didn't think they would have to pay us to set it up. It looks pretty but when it comes in two or three pieces someone has to tie in the ductwork, install the furnace and a/c in order to be comfortable in your new pretty house that you see online. Get it in writing.

rmsanger
07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Tis step up from a winnebago or a camper, can't go wrong with this plan.

loborugger
07-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Palm Harbor is one of the better ones.

Maybe it has changed but when I was selling land in Az. for modular homes they were different then site built homes in that they depriciated rather than appriciate. You should check this Also be sure to check for toxic materials used in the prefab home.

Thanks for the positive contributions to the thread, Baja. When was it that you sold these homes? I wont be able to buy a home that depreciates with a VA loan. These homes are (allegedly - I haven't seen one, just the website) are built to code, with 2 by 4s in interior walls, 2 by 6s in the exterior, energy star windows, etc.

baja
07-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the positive contributions to the thread, Baja. When was it that you sold these homes? I wont be able to buy a home that depreciates with a VA loan. These homes are (allegedly - I haven't seen one, just the website) are built to code, with 2 by 4s in interior walls, 2 by 6s in the exterior, energy star windows, etc.

Well they are all built to code (it's the law) Back then they were classified as trailer homes and could not qualify for a standard 30 year morguage. As I mentioned things may have changed put I would sure check with Palm Homes or the VA as to what terms are available.

watermock
07-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Do you have city water or a well?

Jesus.

Another route may be simply buying an existing home under duress.

That might requre some effort but there are tons of distressed homes, maybe no in your range, but tyou might be surprised.

Ask Meck77

baja
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Jesus.

That might requre some effort but there are tons of distressed homes, maybe no in your range, but tyou might be surprised.

Ask Meck77

so will you move the house for him?

DenverBrit
07-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks

No, but I did some research a while ago and discovered modular is no longer ugly.

Check these out. There is a lot of info about site prep too.

http://www.rocioromero.com/LVSeries/options.htm
http://www.prefabs.com/PrefabHomes/BlueSkyHomes/BSH1800.htm
http://www.livinghomes.net/primer.html

watermock
07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
so will you move the house for him?

I forgot your off the grid.

Or are you on the grid and selling sand off it?

Arkie
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
The couple of acres are worth it. Land is finite, so grab all you can. The modular home will depreciate faster than a regular home which would probably appreciate eventually.

watermock
07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0hMnvayVwo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0hMnvayVwo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>.

loborugger
07-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Jesus.

Ask Meck77

That is also on the table, too.