PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Geniuses Should Read This And Help Me

RhymesayersDU
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a Samsung TV. It's a flat screen, HD, mounted on the wall.

Last night I leave it on to fall asleep with a the timer on like I do every night. No problems. Wake up this morning, reach for the remote to turn it on like I do every morning, it won't turn on. I find it odd but I have to get in the shower so I don't do anything. Post-shower, I try to turn it on again. This time it turns on, picture looks fine and all that jazz. Got ready and turned it off as I left for work.

Just got home, and now again it won't turn on. Any ideas from anybody? Should I have somebody look at it? This type of thing happen to others? I tried manually turning it on and with the remote, neither work.

strafen
07-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a Samsung TV. It's a flat screen, HD, mounted on the wall.

Last night I leave it on to fall asleep with a the timer on like I do every night. No problems. Wake up this morning, reach for the remote to turn it on like I do every morning, it won't turn on. I find it odd but I have to get in the shower so I don't do anything. Post-shower, I try to turn it on again. This time it turns on, picture looks fine and all that jazz. Got ready and turned it off as I left for work.

Just got home, and now again it won't turn on. Any ideas from anybody? Should I have somebody look at it? This type of thing happen to others? I tried manually turning it on and with the remote, neither work.You may have pushed the VCR, DVD, or CBL buttons accidentally.
Try pushing the TV button then the ON button and see if that fixes the problem.

broncosteven
07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Do you have a cable/Sat box?

Man-Goblin
07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
My Samsung does that sometimes. Sometimes the sound doesn't work, too. Try unplugging it or turning off the power source for a few minutes.

broncosteven
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
If it has a reset button hit it.

RhymesayersDU
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks all, I will try. I did some googling and the issue may be faulty capacitors. I really hope not, but a ton of people have reported similar issues.

So very weak.

Conklin
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
buy a new one, bet that will fix the problem for a while

RhymesayersDU
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Well I am dreading that, but we'll see what the service people tell me. I mean, if they want a ton I may end up doing that. /sigh

broncosteven
07-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks all, I will try. I did some googling and the issue may be faulty capacitors. I really hope not, but a ton of people have reported similar issues.

So very weak.

How old is it?

This is why I go the Cheap route on TV's. I bought my one and only flatscreen TV in the clearance section at Sears and I consider myself a gear head. 42" Hitachi 1080 plasma for $1200 with service plan almost 3 years ago. If it craps out I will get the best cheap one I can find.

Lev Vyvanse
07-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Try taking a shower again. If that doesn't work, try manually turning it on while in the shower.

OABB
07-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Just simply unplug it from both ends... Reset yout surge protected if you have one and plug it back in. If it still doesn't work try another Jack. If that doesn't work you are sol... Same thing happened to me.

RhymesayersDU
07-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Try taking a shower again. If that doesn't work, try manually turning it on while in the shower.

ROFL, nice.

Broncoman13
07-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Probably a sign of more trouble to come, but for the time being just reset the set by unplugging it, preferably from the tv itself for about 15 seconds. Plug it back in and see if that doesn't reset it. You didn't mention if the power light was turning on, blinking, or turning red or anything like that?

I agree with BS btw, if you buy a new set search for the deals. A $700 plasma is just as good as a $2000 LED... if not better.

ColoradoDarin
07-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Change the batteries in the remote.

RhymesayersDU
07-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Probably a sign of more trouble to come, but for the time being just reset the set by unplugging it, preferably from the tv itself for about 15 seconds. Plug it back in and see if that doesn't reset it. You didn't mention if the power light was turning on, blinking, or turning red or anything like that?

I agree with BS btw, if you buy a new set search for the deals. A $700 plasma is just as good as a $2000 LED... if not better.

The power light is on and if you don't try to turn the thing on, you'd think everything was fine. It blinks a bit when I push the button to turn on, but otherwise acts normal.

UberBroncoMan
07-08-2010, 07:55 AM
http://www.onestoplcd.com/productdetail.asp?productid=673&refid=froogle

This HDTV is win.

Free shipping, 60 inches, 120hz, 1080p, and only $1,400.

Very highly reviewed too, and I know someone who has it who loves it.

OABB
07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
The power light is on and if you don't try to turn the thing on, you'd think everything was fine. It blinks a bit when I push the button to turn on, but otherwise acts normal.

Did you try what I told you? Mine was a samsung and the exact same thing happened. I unplugged it a few times and reset my surge protector and it worked.

DenverBrit
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM

As already advised, unplug everything and try again.

Or it could be the power supply.

Broncoman13
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM

If the light is coming on it may be an input issue. You may accidentally be changing the input. Make sure you are on HDMI1 or AV1 or whatever your normal input would be. Still, try to reset it first by unplugging from the TV itself. I had a similar issue with mine a year or two ago. The power supply was going out. It would blink green and eventually turned red. Philips set, but most of the "innards" are the same. Did you get the warranty? If you did, you're golden. If not, and it is in fact a power supply issue, you are looking at several hundred bucks to repair. Highly suggest going with a cheaper (and better) Plasma set if it has indeed crapped out. Hate to tell you, but if you reset it and it works for a few days and starts doing the same thing... It is most likely a goner save for a warranty.

RhymesayersDU
07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh sorry I forgot to mention I unplugged the entire surge protector. TV, DVD, and DirecTV all got reset. No dice.

oubronco
07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Do you have a warranty? Use it

broncosteven
07-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Oh sorry I forgot to mention I unplugged the entire surge protector. TV, DVD, and DirecTV all got reset. No dice.

If your still having trouble call the support line that is what they are there for. It sucks but they will either be able to help you or you will find out your really screwed and need a new TV.

OABB
07-08-2010, 01:36 PM

I think you are ****ed my man.....sorry. It's time to pull an Elvis on that bad boy.

Kaylore
07-08-2010, 02:31 PM

No, no. He must never shower again.

broncosteven
07-08-2010, 02:34 PM
No, no. He must never shower again.

I am guessing it failed due to an excessive build up of Rhyme's Ax body spray that he uses after he gets out of the shower and turns on his TV.

DenverBrit
07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Then I'd suspect the power supply.

I had one go a few months ago, they cost about $500- $600 to replace.

Might be time to look for a new TV.

Taco John
07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Planned obsolescence. Do your duty and help China's economy.

RhymesayersDU
07-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Damnit, I do not need this right now.

Mr.Meanie
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM

Better now than in September

broncosteven
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Think of it as a chance to check out your local Library and memorize the works of Shakespeare.

One door closes, another opens...

elsid13
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Think of it as a chance to check out your local Library and memorize the works of Shakespeare.

One door closes, another opens...

I am surprised that you didn't recommend this book

http://www.amazon.com/Failure-Not-Option-Mission-Control/dp/0743200799