PDA

View Full Version : O-line No. 1 concern

TonyR
07-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Nothing really new here but I'll pass along anyway since we're all starving for Broncos news. I don't like the "but no earlier" comment regarding Clady's knee...

Broncos’ No. 1 concern in 2010
By Mike Klis

The offensive line. Six months from now, it’s possible we’ll look back and say the Broncos’ season was doomed on a basketball court.

The serious left knee injury suffered by All Pro left tackle Ryan Clady in late-April is the primary question mark among several that accompany the offensive line heading into training camp. Besides Clady’s injury - which is supposed to be healed in time for the Broncos’ regular-season opener Sept. 12 at Jacksonville but no earlier — the Broncos are also counting on right tackle Ryan Harris to heal from big toe surgery and veteran center Russ Hochstein to recover from major knee surgery.

Replacing Clady is Tyler Polumbus, the former Cherry Creek High School and University of Colorado standout who started eight games in place of Harris at right tackle last season. In Hochstein’s absense, the Broncos have been playing rookie J.D. Walton, a third-round draft pick out of Baylor, with the first-team offense. At left guard, the Broncos will start either rookie Zane Beadles, a second-round pick from Utah, or second-year player Seth Olsen, who essentially was redshirted as a rookie last season.

The only offensive line position without reason for worry is right guard, where Chris Kuper’s consistency was recently rewarded with a five-year contract extension.

The good news about the Broncos’ offensive front is it will be the beefiest in team history. All starters and projected backups will weigh at least 300 pounds. The quality of the collective beef, though, is worth monitoring.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/06/30/broncos-no-1-concern-in-2010/

cmhargrove
07-01-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm actually excited to see us build some possible depth here. I hate that Clady and Harris have been hurt, but that means other guys have to step up and earn their spots.

If Harris can stray healthy, I think Polumbus has a decent shot at LT (until Clady heals) which suits his skillset better than RT.

I'm excited to watch Walton, Beadles, and both the Olsens in action.

Hochstein was a decent player, but saying he can'e be replaced by one of the younger guys is a little sketchy. More beef at Center and Left guard could make a big difference on those short yardage plays where we consistently got stuffed last year.

footstepsfrom#27
07-01-2010, 07:58 AM
The dropoff from Clady to Polumbus is huge. Let's hope he heals quickly.

meangene
07-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Weigman and Hamilton were rag-dolled turnstiles last year and Harris was injured and replaced by an out-of-position Polumbus. I don't see how things could be much worse this year barring additional injury even if Clady missed several games getting to full strength.

NFLBRONCO
07-01-2010, 08:36 AM
QB is Denver's #1 concern.

Kaylore
07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
QB is Denver's #1 concern.

No.

A good line can make any QB look at least decent. If our line sucks it wouldn't matter if John Elway was back in his prime playing QB for us.

NFLBRONCO
07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
No.

A good line can make any QB look at least decent. If our line sucks it wouldn't matter if John Elway was back in his prime playing QB for us.

I dunno John is far more mobile then this present crew besides a ton more skill. OL could be #2 concern we'll see how Clady recovers first. Right now I'm assuming Clady will be ok we'll find out though,

Irish Stout
07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
No.

That is complete and utter BS Kaylore and you know it. John Elway would stop oncoming pass rushers with his laser beam eyes and would use his ninja skills to slide through the shadows of a battling line of scrimmage only to appear in the fading sunlight behind the defense, where he would sprout the wings of Angles and gently glide 75 yards into the endzone.

Kaylore
07-01-2010, 09:32 AM
That is complete and utter BS Kaylore and you know it. John Elway would stop oncoming pass rushers with his laser beam eyes and would use his ninja skills to slide through the shadows of a battling line of scrimmage only to appear in the fading sunlight behind the defense, where he would sprout the wings of Angles and gently glide 75 yards into the endzone.

My bad.

To be fair, we have Tebow, so that's the other reason QB is not a concern.

Cito Pelon
07-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Obviously the OL is a concern. One has to hope the staff knows what it is doing because they could have gone after some FA's this year.

IMO, it's the same deal as with the DL and LB last year. They had the chance to go after bigtime bigmoney DL and LB in FA last year, but chose not to do so. They had the chance to go after bigtime bigmoney OL this year, but chose not to do so.

It's a gamble for THIS year, but they're gambling on their ability to develop their own talent. Hopefully the young talent doesn't let them down. It's a lot of pressure on the young talent, we'll see how they pan out.

CEH
07-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Tyler was abused when he started at RT in the 2nd SD game and was tasked with protecting Simms blind side.

Now he switches to the left to protect the statue that is Orton . Good luck I hope he improved 1000% with playing time last year over what we saw against SD overwise I see alot of bubble screens . May see those anyways I'm not sure

cmhargrove
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Tyler was abused when he started at RT in the 2nd SD game and was tasked with protecting Simms blind side.

Now he switches to the left to protect the statue that is Orton . Good luck I hope he improved 1000% with playing time last year over what we saw against SD overwise I see alot of bubble screens . May see those anyways I'm not sure

I won't disagree that Polumbus was inadequate at RT, but he played LT in college at a very high level, and some people never successfully make the transition from Left to Right. You may think it sacrilege, but I say that if you moved Clady to RT, he would just be "average."

We saw this a few years back when we tried to move Pears from LT (after he did well for an injured Lepsis), to RT. He never lived up to expectations. I'm not saying Polumbus will be a world-beater, but at least he is now moving to his natural position where his speed is more of an asset.

meangene
07-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Obviously the OL is a concern. One has to hope the staff knows what it is doing because they could have gone after some FA's this year.

I thought the OL FA class this year generally sucked which is why we went DL in free agency and then addressed the OL in the draft. What decent OL free agents who were out there were restricted. There were some OT's who could have been had via trade but our interior line was of much greater concern.

loborugger
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
No.

Trent Green approves of this post.

strafen
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
No.

Obviously you've never got to see Elway play in his prime.
Playing with virtually no running game and an undersized OL is what made him a legend...

TheReverend
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
No.

^

Trent Green echoes this sentiment.

TheReverend
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Trent Green approves of this post.

GODDAMN IT!

Lol, reps to you sir, you must be at least a partial genius.