PDA

View Full Version : Costner's device works.

Taco John
06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Costner Cleanup Device Gets High Marks From BP

Fri Jun 25, 5:57 pm ET

It was treated as an oddball twist in the otherwise wrenching saga of the BP oil spill when Kevin Costner stepped forward to promote a device he said could work wonders in containing the spill's damage. But as Henry Fountain explains in the New York Times, the gadget in question an oil-separating centrifuge marks a major breakthrough in spill cleanup technology. And BP, after trial runs with the device, is ordering 32 more of the Costner-endorsed centrifuges to aid the Gulf cleanup.

Read more:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2851

crawdad
06-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Great news!

Irish Stout
06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
That is awesome! I was afraid the whole thing was a joke when I first heard about it. I really appreciate Kevin Costner more, now that I know he's attempting to use his star power for a very tangible and decent act. Sounds like his brother has been working on this for a long long time though.

Requiem
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Cool, now can I go back to watching Dances With Wolves?

BigPlayShay
06-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Cool, now can I go back to watching Dances With Wolves?

Nope, you're gonna have to watch Water World now. Sorry.

http://flisted.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/kevin-costner-waterworld-turkish-airlines-ad-1.jpg

Man-Goblin
06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
http://media.pegasusnews.com/pegasus/img/photos/2009/01/14/waterworld_t520.jpg

Here's a picture of the device. Not sure what that thing is behind him.

cmhargrove
06-28-2010, 01:52 PM

It was treated as an oddball twist in the otherwise wrenching saga of the BP oil spill when Kevin Costner stepped forward to promote a device he said could work wonders in containing the spill's damage. But as Henry Fountain explains in the New York Times, the gadget in question an oil-separating centrifuge marks a major breakthrough in spill cleanup technology. And BP, after trial runs with the device, is ordering 32 more of the Costner-endorsed centrifuges to aid the Gulf cleanup.

Read more:

So what? We just centrifuge the entire Gulf of Mexico?

Dr. Broncenstein
06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
If you haven't seen Mr. Brooks, fix this issue immediately. Easily my favorite movie of recent times.

HAT
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Read more:

Sweet.....Can you tell us tomorrow what happened last Saturday? :~ohyah!:

Garcia Bronco
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
If you haven't seen Mr. Brooks, fix this issue immediately. Easily my favorite movie of recent times.

Great flick. Although I hate Cook, so it's a happy ending.

crowebomber
06-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Man couldn't somebody who isn't such a tool do something good like this instead of Costner? Now am I forced to like Kevin friggin Costner? Is Al Davis going cure cancer next?

Dr. Broncenstein
06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Man couldn't somebody who isn't such a tool do something good like this instead of Costner? Now am I forced to like Kevin friggin Costner? Is Al Davis going cure cancer next?

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/040/447/original/Haters_gonna_hate.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
excellent. now get the A-Whale out there as well and we'll be cooking with gas...

dailypress.com
Giant oil skimmer makes stop in Norfolk on way to Gulf oil cleanup
Peter Frost, pfrost@dailypress.com | 247-4744

Daily Press

10:24 PM EDT, June 25, 2010

NORFOLK

Advertisement

After making a brief stop in Norfolk for refueling, U.S. Coast Guard inspections and an all-out publicity blitz intended to drum up public support, a giant tanker billed as the world's largest oil skimming vessel set sail Friday for the Gulf of Mexico where it hopes to assist in the oil-cleanup effort.

The Taiwanese-owned, Liberian-flagged ship dubbed the "A Whale" stands 10 stories high, stretches 1,115 feet in length and has a nearly 200-foot beam. It displaces more water than an aircraft carrier.

Built in South Korea as a supertanker for transporting oil and iron ore, the six-month-old vessel was refitted in the wake of the BP oil spill with 12, 16-foot-long intake vents on the sides of its bow designed to skim oil off surface waters

The vessel's billionaire owner, Nobu Su, the CEO of Taiwanese shipping company TMT Group, said the ship would float across the Gulf "like a lawn mower cutting the grass," ingesting up to 500,000 barrels of oil-contaminated water a day.

But a number of hurdles stand in his way. TMT officials said the company does not yet have government approval to assist in the cleanup or a contract with BP to perform the work.

That's part of the reason the ship was tied to pier at the Virginia Port Authority's Norfolk International Terminals Friday morning. TMT and its public-relations agency invited scores of media, elected officials and maritime industry executives to an hour-long presentation about how the ship could provide an immediate boost to clean-up efforts in the Gulf.

TMT also paid to fly in Edward Overton, a professor emeritus of environmental sciences at Louisiana State University, to get a look at the massive skimmer.

Overton blasted BP and the federal government for a lack of effort and coordination in their dual oil-spill response and made a plea to the government to allow the A Whale to join the cleanup operation.

"We need this ship. We need this help," Overton said. "That oil is already contaminating our shoreline. We've got to get the ship out there and see if it works. There's only one way to find out: Get the damn thing in the gulf and we'll see."

TMT officials acknowledged that not even they're sure how well the new skimming method will work, noting that it appeared to perform well in limited testing last week.

"This concept has never been tried before," said Bob Grantham, a TMT project officer. "But we think we can do in maybe in a day and a half what these other crews have done in 66 days. We see the A Whale as adding another layer to the recovery effort."

Virginia Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton said the McDonnell administration "still has great interest in offshore oil development in Virginia" and supports the A Whale's effort to assist in the cleanup.

To join the fight, the ship also might require separate waivers from the Coast Guard and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The A Whale — pronounced along the lines of "A Team" because there is a "B Whale" coming — is designed to work 20 to 50 miles offshore where smaller skimmers have trouble navigating. The ship would take in oily water and transfer it into specialized storage tanks on the flanks of the vessel. From there, the oil-fouled seawater would be pumped into internal tanks where the oil would separate naturally from the water.

After the separation process, the oil would be transferred to other tankers or shore-based facilities while the remaining water would be pumped back into the gulf.

Because the process wouldn't remove all traces of oil from the seawater, TMT will likely have to gain a special permit from the EPA, said Scott H. Segal of the Washington lobbying firm, Bracewell &Giuliani, which TMT has retained to help negotiate with federal regulators.

"The simple answer is, we don't know what the discharge will look like until we can take A Whale out there and test it," Segal said. TMT will work with regulators to determine an appropriate level of oil that can be contained in the ship's discharge.

TMT also is firm is working with the Coast Guard to gain approval to operate in the gulf, which may require a waiver from a 90-year-old maritime act that restricts foreign-flagged vessels from operating in U.S. waters, said Bob Grantham, a TMT project officer.

Connaughton, the former federal Maritime Administrator, said he doesn't believe the A Whale would require a waiver from the Jones Act, a federal law signed in 1920 that sought to protect U.S. maritime interests.

Coast Guard inspectors toured the ship for about four hours on Thursday to determine the ship's efficacy and whether it was fit to be deployed, said Capt. Matthew Sisson, commanding officer of the Coast Guard's Research and Development arm in New London, Conn.

"We take all offers of alternative technology very seriously," Sisson said. The ship, he said, is "an impressive engineering feat."

He would not offer a timetable for Coast Guard approval of the vessel, but said he will try to "turn around a report … as soon as humanely possible."

Of course, even if the ship gains approval to operate in the gulf, its owners expect the company to be paid for its efforts.

"That's an open question," Segal said. "Obviously, (TMT) is a going concern and its people would need to be compensated for their time and effort."

colonelbeef
06-28-2010, 02:28 PM
GOD DAMNED HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL ELITES!!!!

I mean, awesome work!

broncocalijohn
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
All Costner is charging is that AMC show Water World as a marathon and replace the John Wayne weekend for this coming patriotic celebration on the 2nd to 4th. After all, did the Duke save the entire ecosystem of the Gulf of Mexico? I think not.

footstepsfrom#27
06-28-2010, 02:40 PM
beat me to it...

Pontius Pirate
06-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Headline should read...

"Costner's Device (Theoretically) Works - Still No Word On Whether It Actually Is Working In The Gulf"

Smiling Assassin27
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Headline should read...

"Costner's Device (Theoretically) Works - Still No Word On Whether It Actually Is Working In The Gulf"

Hell, throw it out there as it can't make things worse, can it? BP's investing in it, not taxpayers, and I think it's officially 'worst case scenario time' in the Gulf.

baja
06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Great news

The fact this device went unwanted for all these years speaks to the arrogance of the oil companies. I hope this event ruins BP after they make complete restitution

400HZ
06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
If you trust the guy that made "The Postman" then you are ****ing crazy.

OABB
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
GOD DAMNED HOLLYWOOD LIBERAL ELITES!!!!

I mean, awesome work!

Actually I believe he is a republican. Not sure though. I know he's not a liberal from his time on bill mahers show. Either way it's cool if it works.

Kaylore
06-28-2010, 03:39 PM
This reminded me of when he drinks his pee.

baja
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM

http://brooklynmetfan.com/images/uploads/Urine%20Therapy.jpg

hambone13
06-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Great flik. It needs more hype so they will actually do the the other two movies that are poised to go should the market data be there.

Taco John
06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Great news

The fact this device went unwanted for all these years speaks to the arrogance of the oil companies. I hope this event ruins BP after they make complete restitution

It actually speaks to the arrogance and inefficiency of government, which has slowed it down:

In his congressional testimony, Costner recounted his struggle to effectively market the centrifuge. He explained that although the machines are quite effective, they can still leave trace amounts of oil in the treated water that exceeds current environmental regulations. Because of that regulatory hurdle, he said, he had great difficulty getting oil industry giants interested without first having the approval of the federal government.

It's true, as Fountain notes in the Times, that innovation on spill technology has been hobbled in part by the reach of federal regulation though Fountain also notes that oil companies have elected to devote comparatively little money for researching cleanup devices in the intensely competitive industry.

Costner said that after the device was patented in 1993, he sought to overcome oil-company jitters by offering to allow U.S. oil concerns to use it on a trial basis. He'd extended the same offer to the Japanese government in 1997, he said, but got no takers there either.

tsiguy96
06-28-2010, 05:21 PM
so it basically takes the water and spins out the oil. sounds pretty simple.

Taco John
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Actually I believe he is a republican. Not sure though. I know he's not a liberal from his time on bill mahers show. Either way it's cool if it works.

He's a Capitalist! 8')

joe9999
06-28-2010, 06:24 PM
One limitation is that it can't handle thick oil and water. For example the tar like oil heating the shore and beaches.

More info is needed to know if it can make any significant impact. For example how much volume can it treat? And how does it collect the oil, by skimming from the surface? Does it feed the oil collected to a tanker? Or is it designed for collecting a few barrels?

The huge scale of the environmental disaster is troubling.

tsiguy96
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
One limitation is that it can't handle thick oil and water. For example the tar like oil heating the shore and beaches.

More info is needed to know if it can make any significant impact. For example how much volume can it treat? And how does it collect the oil, by skimming from the surface? Does it feed the oil collected to a tanker? Or is it designed for collecting a few barrels?

The huge scale of the environmental disaster is troubling.

they said 128k gallons per day...with 32 of them working, thats a lot, but i dont k now how long it would take, and even if they remove 99% of the oil, 1% of the oil they spilled is still disastrous.

UberBroncoMan
06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Great news

Yeah. Hopefully they can layoff like 10,000 people too!

baja
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Ya and they can all get jobs with a enviromently responsable company that buts safety first and maybe they will not get killed at work

OABB
06-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Let's see.... 10000 jobs or kill earth.... Hmm. That's a close one.

watermock
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM

You should talk.

Kaylore
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
You should talk.

This post makes no sense, you drunken twit.

Are you saying I drink my pee or that I was in Waterworld?

watermock
06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
This needs to be tried, WTF is wrong with trying?

BTW, you worship pee Kaylore.

dailypress.com
Giant oil skimmer makes stop in Norfolk on way to Gulf oil cleanup
Peter Frost, pfrost@dailypress.com | 247-4744

Daily Press

10:24 PM EDT, June 25, 2010

NORFOLK

Advertisement

After making a brief stop in Norfolk for refueling, U.S. Coast Guard inspections and an all-out publicity blitz intended to drum up public support, a giant tanker billed as the world's largest oil skimming vessel set sail Friday for the Gulf of Mexico where it hopes to assist in the oil-cleanup effort.

The Taiwanese-owned, Liberian-flagged ship dubbed the "A Whale" stands 10 stories high, stretches 1,115 feet in length and has a nearly 200-foot beam. It displaces more water than an aircraft carrier.

Built in South Korea as a supertanker for transporting oil and iron ore, the six-month-old vessel was refitted in the wake of the BP oil spill with 12, 16-foot-long intake vents on the sides of its bow designed to skim oil off surface waters

The vessel's billionaire owner, Nobu Su, the CEO of Taiwanese shipping company TMT Group, said the ship would float across the Gulf "like a lawn mower cutting the grass," ingesting up to 500,000 barrels of oil-contaminated water a day.

But a number of hurdles stand in his way. TMT officials said the company does not yet have government approval to assist in the cleanup or a contract with BP to perform the work.

That's part of the reason the ship was tied to pier at the Virginia Port Authority's Norfolk International Terminals Friday morning. TMT and its public-relations agency invited scores of media, elected officials and maritime industry executives to an hour-long presentation about how the ship could provide an immediate boost to clean-up efforts in the Gulf.

TMT also paid to fly in Edward Overton, a professor emeritus of environmental sciences at Louisiana State University, to get a look at the massive skimmer.

Overton blasted BP and the federal government for a lack of effort and coordination in their dual oil-spill response and made a plea to the government to allow the A Whale to join the cleanup operation.

"We need this ship. We need this help," Overton said. "That oil is already contaminating our shoreline. We've got to get the ship out there and see if it works. There's only one way to find out: Get the damn thing in the gulf and we'll see."

TMT officials acknowledged that not even they're sure how well the new skimming method will work, noting that it appeared to perform well in limited testing last week.

"This concept has never been tried before," said Bob Grantham, a TMT project officer. "But we think we can do in maybe in a day and a half what these other crews have done in 66 days. We see the A Whale as adding another layer to the recovery effort."

Virginia Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton said the McDonnell administration "still has great interest in offshore oil development in Virginia" and supports the A Whale's effort to assist in the cleanup.

To join the fight, the ship also might require separate waivers from the Coast Guard and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The A Whale — pronounced along the lines of "A Team" because there is a "B Whale" coming — is designed to work 20 to 50 miles offshore where smaller skimmers have trouble navigating. The ship would take in oily water and transfer it into specialized storage tanks on the flanks of the vessel. From there, the oil-fouled seawater would be pumped into internal tanks where the oil would separate naturally from the water.

After the separation process, the oil would be transferred to other tankers or shore-based facilities while the remaining water would be pumped back into the gulf.

Because the process wouldn't remove all traces of oil from the seawater, TMT will likely have to gain a special permit from the EPA, said Scott H. Segal of the Washington lobbying firm, Bracewell &Giuliani, which TMT has retained to help negotiate with federal regulators.

"The simple answer is, we don't know what the discharge will look like until we can take A Whale out there and test it," Segal said. TMT will work with regulators to determine an appropriate level of oil that can be contained in the ship's discharge.

TMT also is firm is working with the Coast Guard to gain approval to operate in the gulf, which may require a waiver from a 90-year-old maritime act that restricts foreign-flagged vessels from operating in U.S. waters, said Bob Grantham, a TMT project officer.

Connaughton, the former federal Maritime Administrator, said he doesn't believe the A Whale would require a waiver from the Jones Act, a federal law signed in 1920 that sought to protect U.S. maritime interests.

Coast Guard inspectors toured the ship for about four hours on Thursday to determine the ship's efficacy and whether it was fit to be deployed, said Capt. Matthew Sisson, commanding officer of the Coast Guard's Research and Development arm in New London, Conn.

"We take all offers of alternative technology very seriously," Sisson said. The ship, he said, is "an impressive engineering feat."

He would not offer a timetable for Coast Guard approval of the vessel, but said he will try to "turn around a report … as soon as humanely possible."

Of course, even if the ship gains approval to operate in the gulf, its owners expect the company to be paid for its efforts.

"That's an open question," Segal said. "Obviously, (TMT) is a going concern and its people would need to be compensated for their time and effort."

Taco John
06-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Urine over your head, Kaylore.

Lev Vyvanse
06-28-2010, 09:10 PM

You might need these Kaylore.
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/05/19/pee%20genie%201.jpg
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/05/19/pee%20genie%202.jpg

DBroncos4life
06-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Urine over your head, Kaylore.

Win Hilarious!

broncocalijohn
06-28-2010, 09:57 PM
This post makes no sense, you drunken twit.

Are you saying I drink my pee or that I was in Waterworld?

both!

Sign our linebacker!

Rome was built in many days.

Buy a vowel.

epicSocialism4tw
06-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Kevin Costner's device twurks.

Rep for anyone who knows that horrendous pop culture reference.

JJJ
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Good for him.

Anyone else seen Fandango? Funny little flick.

Mogulseeker
06-28-2010, 11:24 PM
So... um... BPs billions of dollars and Cambridge-trained engineers couldn't come up with something, but Kevin Costner did?

epicSocialism4tw
06-28-2010, 11:46 PM
So... um... BPs billions of dollars and Cambridge-trained engineers couldn't come up with something, but Kevin Costner did?

Obama only has one engineer on his consulting team, the rest are policy experts trying to figure out a way to fenagle this tragedy into another set of taxes and regulations.

He does fancy himself a celebrity however, so maybe this is a match made in the depths of celebutard-dom.

ZONA
06-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Have a drink on me BP

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-5I_RogvgJc/SaFlITn_WQI/AAAAAAAABYI/tt4hOY8Wu0U/s400/Cha_J_Drawing_Oil+and+Water.jpg

OABB
06-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Obama only has one engineer on his consulting team, the rest are policy experts trying to figure out a way to fenagle this tragedy into another set of taxes and regulations.

He does fancy himself a celebrity however, so maybe this is a match made in the depths of celebutard-dom.

See avatar.

Kaylore
06-29-2010, 11:45 AM
This needs to be tried, WTF is wrong with trying?

Better than drinking it, I guess.

You might need these Kaylore.
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/05/19/pee%20genie%201.jpg
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/05/19/pee%20genie%202.jpg
:~ohyah!:

bowtown
06-29-2010, 11:57 AM

watermock
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
BP is such a global whore.

NOW they go into emergency mode for a tropical storm?

This crap is going to rain on me.

The Benzine and toxic tar is sad, but the Earth will heal itself over time,

baja
07-22-2010, 01:07 PM
BP is such a global whore.

NOW they go into emergency mode for a tropical storm?

This crap is going to rain on me.

The Benzine and toxic tar is sad, but the Earth will heal itself over time,

Herself

Chris
07-22-2010, 01:16 PM
mutation!