PDA

View Full Version : Kenny McKinley

Popps
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Just some football reading to ease the utter boredom around here.

I like the kid. Liked the little bit I saw last preseason. We've got great competition at WR, so who knows if he'll be able to see playing time, but I still feel like he's a potential dark-horse.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10206

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Jabar Gaffney can't say it. Minnesota Vikings Pro-Bowler Sidney Rice can't either. Kenny McKinley won't agree with it, but he has trouble keeping his cheeks from creasing up in a smile when it comes up.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier pointed to McKinley as the best wide receiver he coached in more than 20 years of orchestrating his run-and-gun offense.

"It means a lot coming from coach Spurrier," McKinley said. "He's coached a lot of guys that he's put in the league, a lot of good receivers that he's been through. I couldn't say that I'm the best he's ever coached, but if he says it..."

McKinley lets Spurrier's testimony speak for itself, but the praise of a past coach doesn't carry much weight in the NFL. Although he was the only rookie in the league to average 22 yards on kick returns and 10 yards on punt returns, McKinley hasn't registered a reception in the NFL regular season.

Minicamp was a different story. While he also saw time at kick and punt returner, McKinley spent his offseason practices hauling in catch after catch all over the field.

"I'm a little more comfortable," he said. "I'm kind of getting a little more of the offense under my belt, knowing a little more after a whole year into the league. You learn more and get bigger and stronger. I just feel like I'm ready to go out there and compete for a job this year."

He took advantage of every rep he could get at OTAs when the veteran receivers had time off from practice. When they came back, he was waiting to soak up advice like a sweat towel on a sopping football.

"I got Eddie Royal who's closer to my age so he can more relate to me," McKinley said. "He's like my big brother, man. He tells me what to do, what I'm doing wrong, do this, do that. Jabar Gaffney who's been in this offense for a long time. He knows it like the coaches know it so he's like the coach of the group. We got (Brandon) Stokley who's been in the league over 11 or 12 years and I go to 'Stoke' for about everything. Brandon Lloyd has been in the league for a long time. There's a lot of guys that I got a chance to really learn from and ask questions about, and they kind of take me like their little brother under their wing."

Receivers coach Adam Gase instructs McKinley with more of a tough love approach.

"He's on me like crazy," McKinley said. "He rides me coming back to the huddle, full speed everything I do. He's just making me a better player. Running sprints he wants me to be first. In everything I do he's on my back and in my ear. I gotta just choke it up and take what he's saying. He's trying to get me better and he's getting me better because I'm learning everything."

When McKinley's not stabbing his cleats in the turf he's sticking his nose in a playbook. The second-year wideout still has to study every night to try and grasp the offense.

"You have to put your thinking cap on more, so I come to work every day ready to learn more, observe and absorb knowledge from all my teammates around me because the offense is tough," he said. "I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game by studying at night and coming in and meeting with my coach early."

In one respect McKinley's already ahead of the curve. Head Coach Josh McDaniels has said Kyle Orton is the starter at quarterback, but McKinley is comfortable with the other quarterbacks on the roster as well. McKinley managed to set records at South Carolina for receiving yardage and receptions despite playing with a revolving door of quarterbacks.

"That really prepared me because I probably played with six or seven different quarterbacks while I was at USC, so it's my job to get open and catch the ball," he said. "Whoever's throwing it, it's no big deal."

McKinley said he keeps a chip on his shoulder, studies hard and searches for a way to improve every day. He's had a strong offseason showcasing his speed, but he knows he has to continue to perform if he wants a bigger role. The NFL is a dog-eat-dog league.

"Everybody's competing," he said. "Everybody wants to be out there and be that guy who's starting because we have a lot of talent at receiver. You can't put everybody on the field, so everybody's competing for a spot."

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AdCY1yyiSBI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AdCY1yyiSBI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZafxoomKFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZafxoomKFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Taco John
06-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I always like players who manage to start as true freshmen - not to mention a receiver who does that but also has success with different quarterbacks.

Also, "he's the next Rod Smith®," with the whole "was a quarterback in highschool" thing
(/obligatory comment made solely for the purposes of annoying Kaylore)

Popps
06-25-2010, 11:38 PM
His biggest problem might be that he looks like sort of the same receiver as Gaffney, who obviously has earned a role after last season.

Still... injuries, etc... who knows.

SoCalBronco
06-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Good article, Popps. Hopefully he can get in the regular rotation at WR this year. He's got some talent and I thought he came across as very intelligent last year at camp. They need to establish some quality depth at that spot with Marshall's loss and they've done a fine job adding some young recievers the last two years. I look forward to seeing what Kenny can do. Incidentally, I liked seeing the reference to his contributions in the return game last year. We're really starting to develop some really viable options in the PR-KR game with Royal, McKinley and now possibly Perrish Cox.

yerner
06-26-2010, 04:31 AM
I like guys like this that were super productive at college. He made a big name for himself in South Carolina.

broncosteven
06-26-2010, 05:45 AM
I thought I had read this before and it wasn't deja vu.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=92411&highlight=mckinley

Man-Goblin
06-26-2010, 05:45 AM
mckinleynexthixon

montrose
06-26-2010, 06:16 AM
How many WRs will be kept on the roster? Considering we're a spread team that with Scheffler gone will probably use even more true 5WR sets (5 actual WRs opposed to 3 WRs with a TE and a RB split wide or 4 WRs with a TE split wide), you could make a case for keeping 6-7 guys. Stokley seems like a logical question mark because of his age and inability to play special teams while McKinley is younger, cheaper and more versatile. With all that, McD loves vets and Stokely always seems to stick. Right now I've got Royal, Gaffney and Lloyd as projected starters with Thomas, Decker, Stokley, McKinley and Willis competing for 2-4 spots.

Cito Pelon
06-26-2010, 08:35 AM
How many WRs will be kept on the roster? Considering we're a spread team that with Scheffler gone will probably use even more true 5WR sets (5 actual WRs opposed to 3 WRs with a TE and a RB split wide or 4 WRs with a TE split wide), you could make a case for keeping 6-7 guys. Stokley seems like a logical question mark because of his age and inability to play special teams while McKinley is younger, cheaper and more versatile. With all that, McD loves vets and Stokely always seems to stick. Right now I've got Royal, Gaffney and Lloyd as projected starters with Thomas, Decker, Stokley, McKinley and Willis competing for 2-4 spots.

There's gonna be some tough cuts at WR. I have absoultely no idea how it's gonna pan out. There's certainly a lot of competition. I'd hate to see McKinley get cut since he's so versatile. OTOH, I'd hate to see Stokley get cut, he's been a producer of TD's. 12 TD's on 106 receptions the three years he's been in Denver. 4 TD's on 19 receptions last year. Most of his TD's have been IIRC from the 35 on in, he's a good weapon inside the 40.

Just have to wait and see. This Decker, is he the next Stokley? Does he have the nose for the endzone Stokley has?

Requiem
06-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Royal and Gaffney, obviously.

Thomas and Decker, obviously.

I'd bet McKinley stays, and Stokely since he's a savvy veteran.

Six. I don't expect Lloyd to be on the team.

tsiguy96
06-26-2010, 09:42 AM

lloyd is the starter right now and has been by most accounts doing wonderful in camp. hes going to make the team.

Popps
06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I thought I had read this before and it wasn't deja vu.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=92411&highlight=mckinley

Ooops. All I'd seen on the main board was soccer and threads about Baja's sex life, so I figured I'd post it.

Merge away, mods.

Popps
06-26-2010, 10:54 AM
lloyd is the starter right now and has been by most accounts doing wonderful in camp. hes going to make the team.

Lloyd was another guy I wanted to see more of last year. Then, when we DID see him, I thought he played very well.

We really have a good group of options out there. If Thomas can step in and play right away, we could be looking at a very talented bunch.

baja
06-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Lloyd was another guy I wanted to see more of last year. Then, when we DID see him, I thought he played very well.

We really have a good group of options out there. If Thomas can step in and play right away, we could be looking at a very talented bunch.

We are loaded with young receiver talent and we still got a second round pick for Marshall to play with. I don't know how anyone can be unhappy with what McD and the FO has done with this team in two short free agent & draft cycles.

Personally after watching Shanny taking big swings and miss year after year I have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming. We have gotten better at every position yet we have haters Go figure.

Popps
06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
We are loaded with young receiver talent and we still got a second round pick for Marshall. I don't know how anyone can be unhappy with what McD and the FO has done with this team in two short free agent & draft cycles.

Personally after watching Shanny taking big swings and miss year after year I have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming. We have gotten better at every position yet we have haters Go figure.

Yea, but the haters are drying up quickly. I've definitely noticed a shift in sentiment around here, overall. For some people, it was just time... for some, maybe they like a certain pick like Tebow... but more people seem to be on board, now.

I've liked the approach since the beginning, but also realize that any approach is only as good as the players you acquire. Thus far, I think we've made overall improvement on defense, in overall depth and I think our offense is on the verge of becoming much more efficient. It just feels like more a complete team being built.

Add to that... the BS-drama factor should go way down with this group of players. Given, we have to get through a very tricky labor situation that could affect contracts, so we'll see how that plays out.

In any case, it's damned exciting to see what we're putting together.

baja
06-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Yea, but the haters are drying up quickly. I've definitely noticed a shift in sentiment around here, overall. For some people, it was just time... for some, maybe they like a certain pick like Tebow... but more people seem to be on board, now.

I've liked the approach since the beginning, but also realize that any approach is only as good as the players you acquire. Thus far, I think we've made overall improvement on defense, in overall depth and I think our offense is on the verge of becoming much more efficient. It just feels like more a complete team being built.

Add to that... the BS-drama factor should go way down with this group of players. Given, we have to get through a very tricky labor situation that could affect contracts, so we'll see how that plays out.

well no everyone is going to be as preceptive as you and I. ;D

broncosteven
06-26-2010, 04:53 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Stokely was cut. He disappears in games and didn't he mouth off or back up Scheffler at some point last year?

Maybe they keep him through TC for Vet leadership then cut him but I think he is done.

broncswin
06-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Stokely was cut. He disappears in games and didn't he mouth off or back up Scheffler at some point last year?

Maybe they keep him through TC for Vet leadership then cut him but I think he is done.

I agree...stoke is gone IMO...with the young talent we have at this position and his age...I think he is outta here. I will kinda miss his play, but we gotta develope these young guys NOW

gyldenlove
06-26-2010, 06:35 PM

7 is almost a given with the amount of inexperienced players we have at the position.

montrose
06-26-2010, 06:39 PM

He was also given a 500k signing bonus.

:yayaya:

azbroncfan
06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
McKinleyNextMadisebywayofKasper.

Br0nc0Buster
06-26-2010, 08:18 PM
I will be surprised if Kenny doesnt make the team, his ability on special teams adds value that may be the deciding factor over a guy like Stokely

I just figured Lloyd would start with Royal and Gaffney, but from what I read Bay Bay looks quite good so far and is picking up the offense well

Hulamau
06-27-2010, 09:55 AM
His biggest problem might be that he looks like sort of the same receiver as Gaffney, who obviously has earned a role after last season.

Still... injuries, etc... who knows.

Nice article Popps, I like the kid and he has the hands and route running ability no doubt. His weight and durability are a bit of an issue that might make it a tough road for him in the NFL. But other guys his size have made it.

He'll have to master the art of not taking a direct hit too often, ala Jerry Rice who was a bit bigger at 6-2' 200lbs, and more specifically Marvin Harrison who was closer to McK's weight. Actually Harrison at 178-180lbs was around 5 pounds lighter than McKinley (185) at the same height 6.0'.

Hope he makes the team assuming his knee is good. Looks like Willis is making areal push though and the WR competition is outstanding this year. Can hardly wait to see Thomas and Decker get fully heatlhy andup to speed with the Offense and NFL speed along with Eddie, Gaff, Stoke and Lloyd.

I predict we keep 7 WR this year and park at least one on the PS, even though that might be tough if we suit 3 QBs as well .. Anyone know if Willis is still eligible for PS? Perhaps Josh goes with 3 RB and a FB and park two more younger RBs on the PS as insurance?

Hulamau
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
mckinleynexthixon

Hixon turned out alright with the Giants. After getting over his embarassing dropsies on return duties that got Shanny a little too impatient.

Blart
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
:(

theAPAOps5
09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Sad day for Broncos... Again.

Nothing is more tragic than a guy taking his own life at 23. Its easy to say that nothing is so hard you can't overcome it but you have to walk a mile in the other persons shoes to see what really was going on.

As I have said in other posts. RIP McKinley may you find the peace on the other side that you couldn't find here with us.

BlaK-Argentina
09-20-2010, 11:00 PM

Nothing is more tragic than a guy taking his own life at 23. Its easy to say that nothing is so hard you can't overcome it but you have to walk a mile in the other persons shoes to see what really was going on.

As I have said in other posts. RIP McKinley may you find the peace on the other side that you couldn't find here with us.

This.

RIP Kenny.

Miss I.
09-20-2010, 11:24 PM

This also.

and could we get the crap from Chiefs planet off of the front page? Who cares what those classless idiots say. Really.

RIP McKinley.

Peoples Champ
09-21-2010, 08:16 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.