PDA

View Full Version : Champ wants top corner money for 3 or 4 more seasons

baja
06-25-2010, 05:08 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=5326840&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquar elli_len%26id%3d5326840

SPN.com
Archive
Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey is willing to take less money when he switches to the interior secondary position in a few years, which the 11-year veteran conceded he will do later in his career.
But he likely won't make the conversion for another three or four seasons, and he expects to be paid premium cornerback money for that stretch.
Bailey's pursuit of a contract extension, first reported by the Denver News earlier this week, actually began in February during the NFL combine, ESPN.com confirmed, when agent Jack Reale approached general manager Brian Xanders about a potential add-on of four years. Bailey, who turned 32 on Tuesday, is entering the final season of the seven-year, $63 million contract he signed in Denver when the Broncos acquired him from Washington in 2004, and he is scheduled to make $13 million in 2010, including bonuses and base salary.
He is open to taking less money later on in a deal, when he likely will be playing safety, and isn't as concerned about the annual average of the contract as he is about the value over the next three or four seasons. But four months after the initial meeting, Bailey's side still hasn't been presented with a proposal.
Bailey and Reale are both class acts, and it's uncharacteristic for the agent to speak publicly about the contract stalemate. But with Broncos management facing some pressing priorities -- such as dealing with dual first-rounders Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow, and a possible long-term extension for linebacker Elvis Dumervil -- they wanted to make sure Bailey is on the team's radar screen.
Still one of the game's top corners, Bailey has been to the Pro Bowl nine times in 11 seasons, and was an alternate the other two years. Entering his 12th season, he will play for his ninth different coordinator (he had two stints with Mike Nolan, in Washington in 1999, and in Denver last year), and is on his eighth different secondary coach.
Bailey never had the same coordinator for successive seasons during his five-year Redskins tenure. He has had the same coordinator for more than two consecutive seasons only once in his entire career. Ditto his secondary coach. "That's a lot of adjusting," Reale told ESPN.com earlier this week.

Archer81
06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I want it to rain icecream and for money to grow on trees.

:Broncos:

TheChamp24
06-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Gosh, I don't know.
Champ has been my favorite player since he came into the league a Redskin, and it was amazing when he got traded to my team. However, I don't know about him playing corner for 3-4 more seasons. I'm thinking 2, and then move him to safety for 4 years. Retire at the age of 38.

DBroncos4life
06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
LOL as soon as a player wants more money it seems like fans start to turn on them. :giggle:

Hogan11
06-25-2010, 05:21 PM
LOL as soon as a player wants more money it seems like fans start to turn on them. :giggle:

They can't pay top dollar to everyone on the team that wants it.

steeledude
06-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Champ is no dummy and he knows he won't get that kind of money here, that he's on a team that seems to knee jerk when a players speaks up about what he wants. I've heard and read Champ say it before, he doesn't need money, he doesn't need pro bowls, he wants the Superbowl. And he knows he ain't getting it here before he retires.

So in the offseason when he jets out of town, he still looks like a pretty good guy because McD wouldn't give him what he wanted after playing great AND being a McD yes-man.

He'll go to a top tier team and take less than top CB money I'm guessing.

I also think Champ actually likes being a Bronco, and saw some hope before Shanahan left. They were only a couple years removed from the AFC Championship game. Good or bad, whatever the hell McD is doing, he's tearing this team apart from the inside so he can rebuild. It could take years to rebound from this.

Hamrob
06-25-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd pay him well for 2yrs and less for 2 additional seasons. That's 4 including this year. Anyone who thinks he'll be worth a turd after that is smoking it.

Hamrob
06-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Champ is no dummy and he knows he won't get that kind of money here, that he's on a team that seems to knee jerk when a players speaks up about what he wants. I've heard and read Champ say it before, he doesn't need money, he doesn't need pro bowls, he wants the Superbowl. And he knows he ain't getting it here before he retires.

So in the offseason when he jets out of town, he still looks like a pretty good guy because McD wouldn't give him what he wanted after playing great AND being a McD yes-man.

He'll go to a top tier team and take less than top CB money I'm guessing.I could see him finish his career up in Washington.

steeledude
06-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I could see him finish his career up in Washington.

Me too. He likes Shanahan, and it would mean he didn't jump a bunch of teams in his career.

DBroncos4life
06-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Champ is just some regular player now I guess. :thumbs:

Hogan11
06-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Champ is just some regular player now I guess. :thumbs:

Well, some say he has lost a step....he doesn't even lead the team in jersey sales anymore :rofl:

Seriously though, he's no longer worth "premium CB money", offer him a reasonable deal and let him walk if he rejects it.

seanpgk
06-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I'd pay him well for 2yrs and less for 2 additional seasons. That's 4 including this year. Anyone who thinks he'll be worth a turd after that is smoking it.

It's not as crazy as you think.

Signed,

Darrell Green

SonOfLe-loLang
06-25-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd love to pay champ a ton of money, but i dont think he (or CB) is worth 12 mil a year

DBroncos4life
06-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Well, some say he has lost a step....he doesn't even lead the team in jersey sales anymore :rofl:

Seriously though, he's no longer worth "premium CB money", offer him a reasonable deal and let him walk if he rejects it.

The dude allowed one TD all year and teams completed 53% of passes against him. Lost a step blah, so did Rod Woodson.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

IHaveALight
06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
First sign the rookies. Then lock up Doom. Then work on extending Champ. I want Champ to play for Denver into his 40'S

Archer81
06-25-2010, 07:31 PM

He'll go to a top tier team and take less than top CB money I'm guessing.

I also think Champ actually likes being a Bronco, and saw some hope before Shanahan left. They were only a couple years removed from the AFC Championship game. Good or bad, whatever the hell McD is doing, he's tearing this team apart from the inside so he can rebuild. It could take years to rebound from this.

Oh.

Its you.

Apparently voodoo doesnt work.

WolfpackGuy
06-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Spend that money on the front seven.

Besides, the Broncos have Phonsie "Shutdown" Smiff waiting in the wings...

footstepsfrom#27
06-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Gone

ColoradoDarin
06-25-2010, 08:13 PM
First sign the rookies. Then lock up Doom. Then work on extending Champ. I want Champ to play for Denver into his 40'S

This!

KipCorrington25
06-25-2010, 08:28 PM

And so does McDaniels... :thanku:

FireFly
06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
The more I think about it, the more surprised I'd be if we gave him a long term contract. No one knows how the CBA is going to turn out.

If there is a hold out next year, he'd be coming back at age 34? On a huge salary. Money that could better be spent else where when all teams will be scrambling to put teams back together and there will likely be a lot of decent players in the free agent pool? Heaps of rookies as well - 2 seasons worth if my logic is sound.

If there is not a hold out, he plays this year, we franchise him next and then he's too old to be getting top tier money anywhere - if he can good for him but it won't be from us.

That One Guy
06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
The dude allowed one TD all year and teams completed 53% of passes against him. Lost a step blah, so did Rod Woodson.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I haven't looked up the numbers but do you think Revis allowed 53% completions? Do you think Champ did when he was making his DPOY run a few years back? And don't make any excuses, top money goes to the top corner. If we got to pick any CB in the league to go one on one with the best WR out there, I don't think many are picking Champ in that scenario.

briane
06-25-2010, 10:20 PM

I want top dollar!

Boss Man
06-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Gone

this....

i love champ as much as the next guy, and he is still easily a top 5 corner in the league...but expect to see him on another team before this regime pays him top corner money...

baja
06-25-2010, 10:47 PM
this....

i love champ as much as the next guy, and he is still easily a top 5 corner in the league...but expect to see him on another team before this regime pays him top corner money...

I think Champ fully knows his value and he will stay a Bronco because they fully know his value to this team too. It will be far less than top corner money this just posturing. Happens every year yet we fret over it every year.

Tell me what is the difference between us and the home maker that can't wait for the next episode of Ohpra?

fdf
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I also think Champ actually likes being a Bronco, and saw some hope before Shanahan left.

Yup. That D was a killer D in the making. Engleberger and the rest of them were clearly on the verge of several breakout seasons in a row. I really can't understand why McDaniels did not leave the D completely intact. But Champ could see how great that D really was.

Broncoman13
06-25-2010, 11:57 PM
This isn't difficult, split the difference with him. He wants four years at premium $, we want two years at premium money... give him three years at premium money.

Give him a 6 year deal worth 45 million with 2011 worth $10m, 2012 worth $11m, and 2013 worth $8m then 2014-16 worth $5.5per year. The only ONLY stopping point here...who the hell wants to give him a bunch of money in 2011 if there might not be football? Think about it this way, if Bowlen doesn't have football in 2011... Bowlen ain't gonna no money! He doesn't make money from outside sources, he makes money through the Broncos!

steeledude
06-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Yup. That D was a killer D in the making. Engleberger and the rest of them were clearly on the verge of several breakout seasons in a row. I really can't understand why McDaniels did not leave the D completely intact. But Champ could see how great that D really was.

It was a great D until those last two years. Just as good as the one we fielded last year. Coyer had a good bend don't break philosophy and our D looked good most of the time.

cutthemdown
06-26-2010, 03:15 AM
As long as hes on the field hes worth a lot. He's a great leader, person, and if bowlen can afford it I would pay him. At least a 2 yr deal for top corner money.

fontaine
06-26-2010, 05:14 AM
If the FO can shell out a first rounder for Alphonso Smith, spend a 2nd rounder, and a 4th for safeties, then two more picks next year for CBs then hell yes, the FO needs to pay Champ two/three more years of top service.

Either that or get Ty freakin' Law on speed dial.

Lolad
06-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Spend that money on the front seven.

Besides, the Broncos have Phonsie "Shutdown" Smiff waiting in the wings...

this made me laugh

IHaveALight
06-26-2010, 08:09 AM
It was a great D until those last two years. Just as good as the one we fielded last year. Coyer had a good bend don't break philosophy and our D looked good most of the time.

LOL Ya the D looked real sharp in those 2 playoff blowouts against the Colts.

bronco militia
06-26-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't have whole lot of loyalties to many of these players anymore.........start winning some damn games and maybe I'll miss you when you're gone

bowtown
06-26-2010, 08:35 AM
This isn't difficult, split the difference with him. He wants four years at premium $, we want two years at premium money... give him three years at premium money.

Give him a 6 year deal worth 45 million with 2011 worth $10m, 2012 worth $11m, and 2013 worth $8m then 2014-16 worth $5.5per year. The only ONLY stopping point here...who the hell wants to give him a bunch of money in 2011 if there might not be football? Think about it this way, if Bowlen doesn't have football in 2011... Bowlen ain't gonna no money! He doesn't make money from outside sources, he makes money through the Broncos!

Yep, a 6 year deal with 3 years of premium money and then 3 at a lower value is not some kind of bank breaking crazy contract. I hope we can figure something out.

Cito Pelon
06-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Denver is a very attractive place to play out a career, we'll see what Champ does.

One thing is for sure - If Champ doesn't get signed long term, some people will think it's the end of all hope for the Bronco organization. And be very vocal about it. Already seen that hysteria above, yes?

I'm sure the team will make him a fair offer. If he chooses to go elsewhere rather than end his career here for a fair offer, that's up to him. Bowlen has always avoided exercising the franchise tag, I can't recall a single time the Broncos have franchised a player. Bowlen is fair with his players, if they don't want to play here he doesn't force them to.

bowtown
06-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Denver is a very attractive place to play out a career, we'll see what Champ does.

One thing is for sure - If Champ doesn't get signed long term, some people will think it's the end of all hope for the Bronco organization. And be very vocal about it. Already seen that hysteria above, yes?

I'm sure the team will make him a fair offer. If he chooses to go elsewhere rather than end his career here for a fair offer, that's up to him. Bowlen has always avoided exercising the franchise tag, I can't recall a single time the Broncos have franchised a player. Bowlen is fair with his players, if they don't want to play here he doesn't force them to.

We franchised Elam in 02.

baja
06-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Didn't we tag Trevor Pryce one year?

baja
06-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Well I'm off to have my favorite Saturday breakfast, cow head tacos.

DBroncos4life
06-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I haven't looked up the numbers but do you think Revis allowed 53% completions? Do you think Champ did when he was making his DPOY run a few years back? And don't make any excuses, top money goes to the top corner. If we got to pick any CB in the league to go one on one with the best WR out there, I don't think many are picking Champ in that scenario.

Revis had a freak year last year kind of like Champ's 2006 season I'll give you that. One season doesn't make him the GOAT though.

The top money doesn't go to the top player. I don't know where you get that idea. Both Clements and Asomugha are making more money then Champ. No one would take them over Champ either. Asomugha allowed 75% completions vs him last year lol.

I guarantee you there won't me many cornerbacks picked by other coaches ahead of Champ Bailey. Revis should be but other then that Bailey should be the next CB picked.

sixtimeseight
06-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Well I'm off to have my favorite Saturday breakfast, cow head tacos.

nobody cares.

tsiguy96
06-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Revis had a freak year last year kind of like Champ's 2006 season I'll give you that. One season doesn't make him the GOAT though.

The top money doesn't go to the top player. I don't know where you get that idea. Both Clements and Asomugha are making more money then Champ. No one would take them over Champ either. Asomugha allowed 75% completions vs him last year lol.

I guarantee you there won't me many cornerbacks picked by other coaches ahead of Champ Bailey. Revis should be but other then that Bailey should be the next CB picked.

wasnt as good as champs 06 season. champ allowed 4 receptions on 35 attempts, with 10 picks. it really cannot get much better.

steeledude
06-26-2010, 10:55 AM
LOL Ya the D looked real sharp in those 2 playoff blowouts against the Colts.

No but they did look sharp with the Browns d-line the year we went to the AFC Championship game. After that we lost those Browns, we lost Al Wilson and John Lynch and everything went terrible. After two years of that, and now dismantling the offense which seemed on the verge of becoming amazing, Champ wants out, I'm guessing.

Our D was much closer to being tough back in the AFC Championship year. We were a few real d-line pieces away from being completely solid.

DBroncos4life
06-26-2010, 11:06 AM
wasnt as good as champs 06 season. champ allowed 4 receptions on 35 attempts, with 10 picks. it really cannot get much better.

I never said it was as good I said he had a freak year like Bailey. I doubt you see Revis having a year like he had last year anytime soon.

bowtown
06-26-2010, 11:18 AM
No but they did look sharp with the Browns d-line the year we went to the AFC Championship game. After that we lost those Browns, we lost Al Wilson and John Lynch and everything went terrible. After two years of that, and now dismantling the offense which seemed on the verge of becoming amazing, Champ wants out, I'm guessing.

Our D was much closer to being tough back in the AFC Championship year. We were a few real d-line pieces away from being completely solid.

This is just plain crazy talk. Shanahan refused to cut Bly, who was past being helpful. Foxworth was gone, Paymah was on his way out, our safeties were Manuel and McCree. Besides DJ our linebackers consisted of Winborne, the Greek, the Gimp, and the Guillotine. And THEN there was the line.

I don't know what kind of revisionist history your are writing, or if you just don't rememebr things very well, but Champ WAS our D those last 2 years under Shanaha. Even if you replaced the entire D line with pro bowlers, we would not have even been sniffing "completely solid." Not to mention that Shanhan was planning to keep Slowik on as DCoord.

NFLBRONCO
06-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I'll take a good to great front 7 and decent CB's over stud CB's and crappy front 7 any day of the week.

DBroncos4life
06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll take a good to great front 7 and decent CB's over stud CB's and crappy front 7 any day of the week.

That is funny when you think about how not only Shanahan tried to build the secondary first but McD did as well. Look at who he brought in the first season at safeties and CB and the amount of money he paid them vs the front 7 guys he brought in during year one.

Archer81
06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
That is funny when you think about how not only Shanahan tried to build the secondary first but McD did as well. Look at who he brought in the first season at safeties and CB and the amount of money he paid them vs the front 7 guys he brought in during year one.

Well think about it. The Pats had a ton of experience in their secondary during their superbowl runs with Law and Milloy and then later Samuels and Harrison. It makes sense for McDaniels to copy what worked in NE here.

tsiguy96
06-26-2010, 11:39 AM

08 starters at safety (off top of my head): roderick rogers, vernon fox, marquand manuel, marlon mcree, josh barrett...mcdaniels HAD to build the secondary.

i was like 8 when shanahan was first hired so i dont know about that.

NFLBRONCO
06-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Its just my opinion as a fan. Your right though coaches seem to like it work back to front. I'll give McD's more time for his plan. I don't see how a stud secondary means everything when your hanging around 8-8 95% of the time. By the time we do bolster front 7 our stud secondary will be at the podium at canton.

fdf
06-26-2010, 11:53 AM

We will just have to differ. IMO, Denver has not had a "great" D since the Orange Crush. The D was adequate, given our offense, during the superbowl years. With some fits and starts, the D that I saw, got worse and worse after the superbowl years as Shanahan tried to fix it with expensive baling wire and duct tape. After Wilson retired, it went off the cliff.

Coyer's scheme may have been great. But he had not nearly enough talent to make it work. (Notice how many of our D guys are tearing up the league after we released them. Or how many of them are even playing football.)

The D was broke and I don't think Shanahan had any idea where to start fixing it. He had some great years in Denver and I wish him the best (except when his team is playing Denver). I'll be ever grateful for his great coaching in the two superbowls. But the last five or so years, his thrashing about to fix the defense was not his finest hour.

Archer81
06-26-2010, 12:00 PM

LOL.

Silly man.

RonDaChamp24
06-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Show Champ the $$$. He needs to retire a Bronco.

steeledude
06-26-2010, 01:34 PM
This is just plain crazy talk. Shanahan refused to cut Bly, who was past being helpful. Foxworth was gone, Paymah was on his way out, our safeties were Manuel and McCree. Besides DJ our linebackers consisted of Winborne, the Greek, the Gimp, and the Guillotine. And THEN there was the line.

I don't know what kind of revisionist history your are writing, or if you just don't rememebr things very well, but Champ WAS our D those last 2 years under Shanaha. Even if you replaced the entire D line with pro bowlers, we would not have even been sniffing "completely solid." Not to mention that Shanhan was planning to keep Slowik on as DCoord.

Ummmm...I said the AFC Championship year. Bly wasn't on our team and Foxworth and Paymah were...DJ Williams and Al Wilson were our primary backers. Darrent Williams was our starter next to Bailey.

That is what I'm talking about. No one would ever argue the thing that showed up the next year was a good D or even close.

Edit: Upon further review of your post I think you didn't read mine at all.

steeledude
06-26-2010, 01:37 PM
We will just have to differ. IMO, Denver has not had a "great" D since the Orange Crush. The D was adequate, given our offense, during the superbowl years. With some fits and starts, the D that I saw, got worse and worse after the superbowl years as Shanahan tried to fix it with expensive baling wire and duct tape. After Wilson retired, it went off the cliff.

Coyer's scheme may have been great. But he had not nearly enough talent to make it work. (Notice how many of our D guys are tearing up the league after we released them. Or how many of them are even playing football.)

The D was broke and I don't think Shanahan had any idea where to start fixing it. He had some great years in Denver and I wish him the best (except when his team is playing Denver). I'll be ever grateful for his great coaching in the two superbowls. But the last five or so years, his thrashing about to fix the defense was not his finest hour.

I agree. Shanahan had no clue what to do. I think he just got lucky on hits with guys like Al Wilson, DJ, Darrent, etc. He let go of our best dlineman year in and year out. Once he got rid of Pryce I just couldn't buy into his defensive view of the world.

Really it seems like losing Al Wilson was the biggest blow to our D, like he was the duct tape that held it all together.

BlueCrusher
06-26-2010, 07:27 PM
first sign the rookies. Then lock up doom. Then work on extending champ. I want champ to play for denver into his 40's

+1

Beantown Bronco
06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Ummmm...I said the AFC Championship year. Bly wasn't on our team and Foxworth and Paymah were...DJ Williams and Al Wilson were our primary backers. Darrent Williams was our starter next to Bailey.

That is what I'm talking about. No one would ever argue the thing that showed up the next year was a good D or even close.

Ummmm, I would. The 2006 defense was arguably the best defense in the entire NFL for the first half of the season.

SouthStndJunkie
06-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Tell me what is the difference between us and the home maker that can't wait for the next episode of Ohpra?

About 150 pounds and a script of Xanax?

SouthStndJunkie
06-27-2010, 12:40 AM
I think Denver lets Champ walk in 2011.

Killericon
06-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Man, there are people around here who still think Cutler **** rainbows, and there's an ESPN insider thing ssaying Champ wants(not demands) top corner money for 3 or 4 more years and people turn like that?

Damn that's cold. I got your back, Champ.

24champ
06-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Broncos have had ample time to get an extension done, this has been going on for a while. I don't feel sorry for management having too much on their plate right now. They've had time to get Elvis situated as well as Champ.

Champ is worth the money, no question. Broncos are not going to replace a Corner that can cover large portion of the field like Champ does. They don't grow on trees.

fontaine
06-27-2010, 06:10 AM
I agree. Champ is worth the money.

I think the FO is doing the right thing though. Why commit to a new deal now when he's under contract and they still have the franchise tag option next season.

They're probably under some delusion that Smith and Cox can show something this year that makes them believe Champ is expendable.

Well let them. At the end of the season they'll realize none of our young drafted CBs are fit to even carry Champ's jock strap.

baja
06-27-2010, 06:41 AM
I think Denver lets Champ walk in 2011.

I think it depends what the market for him is. If he will play for money befitting his skills than I can see him playing in Denver for another 4 or 5 seasons in some combination of safety and corner.

dsmoot
06-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I agree. Shanahan had no clue what to do. I think he just got lucky on hits with guys like Al Wilson, DJ, Darrent, etc. He let go of our best dlineman year in and year out. Once he got rid of Pryce I just couldn't buy into his defensive view of the world.

Really it seems like losing Al Wilson was the biggest blow to our D, like he was the duct tape that held it all together.

I don't understand why people talk about Darrent Williams like he was some perennial probowler. He had his limitations and teams were starting to expose them. He was a decent CB but no better than Ray Crockett

lostknight
06-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Honestly, Champ is probably asking for this extension now because he knows how little is left in his tank. He also probably has significant doubts about getting a ring with this team. Josh McDaniels and Co clearly think that Champ is on the decline - note the CB heavy drafting the last few years, and if there is one thing Josh McDaniels has proven time and again, is that he will pick his boy over Mike Shanahan players whenever it suits him, regardless of public opinion. Not good news for Champ.

baja
06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Honestly, Champ is probably asking for this extension now because he knows how little is left in his tank. He also probably has significant doubts about getting a ring with this team. Josh McDaniels and Co clearly think that Champ is on the decline - note the CB heavy drafting the last few years, and if there is one thing Josh McDaniels has proven time and again, is that he will pick his boy over Mike Shanahan players whenever it suits him, regardless of public opinion. Not good news for Champ.

Hard to imagine getting it more wrong than this.

lostknight
06-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Hard to imagine getting it more wrong than this.

Wow. Once again, your logical and deductive ability staggers me.

Champ started out this article by stating that he knows that the only way he is going to stay in the NFL is to move to the inside, yet he is still demanding top dollar. That is Champ stating unequivocally that he knows that his NFL career is approaching diminishing returns.

I expect Champ to have a career year - people in Contract years already do. But the broncos would have to be pathologically stupid to give him another contract the size and scope of his last one.

DB-Freak
06-27-2010, 10:10 PM
CB in the 30's?

No, thanks.

DBroncos4life
06-27-2010, 10:54 PM
CB in the 30's?

No, thanks.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1458/charleswoodson.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/charleswoodson.jpg/)

24champ
06-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Honestly, Champ is probably asking for this extension now because he knows how little is left in his tank.

This is not new...has been going on for quite a while.

SoCalBronco
06-28-2010, 01:54 AM
The decision will/should largely depend on a 5 factor analysis. No one factor is outcome determinative, but each has its place.

1) Progress of Smith/Cox/Carter- If at least one has a very strong campaign, it may be more efficient to take a moderate reduction in quality (I'm assuming that what would be a "very strong" year for one of those three would equate to a moderate dropoff from where Champ currently is, i.e. # 3-#5 at the position in the NFL) in exchange for a deep reduction in salary.
2) Whether Dumervil extension is reached before the franchise tag needs to be used (thus freeing it up)- A very underrated factor. If a deal gets done, Denver can then afford to kick the decision down the road another year with Bailey by tagging him. The availability of the tag would probably seriously hamper extension efforts.
3) Do Champ's CB cover skills significantly erode in 2010? Obviously an important factor, probably the most important of the lot, but still not determinative by itself, since he could always transition to safety.
4) Is a CBA agreement reached? Always important to consider, especially in the case where you have already given one big extension to someone else (Dumervil). If that deal gets done, it may be asking a bit much from the team to give two large extensions in the same summer with the uncertainty involved.
5) Do Bruton and McBath progress at safety? If you can answer "Yes" to 1, 3 and 5, then he's gone. If you can answer "Yes" to just 3 and 5, he's still gone.

If the factor balancing results in a "close call", then I expect them to err on the side of not extending him, especially if the tag is opened up (Factor 2). They are the type that would rather get rid of a key veteran one year too early rather than one year too late.

Requiem
06-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Good post, SoCal.

The Diplomats are back.

dbfan21
06-28-2010, 06:58 AM

I'm with you on this. Bailey has been fantastic for us over the years and his compensation has been commensurate. 4 years is about all he's got left in the tank, which is why Josh is bringing in young DBs to groom and learn under Champ.

Rabb
06-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Broncos have had ample time to get an extension done, this has been going on for a while. I don't feel sorry for management having too much on their plate right now. They've had time to get Elvis situated as well as Champ.

Champ is worth the money, no question. Broncos are not going to replace a Corner that can cover large portion of the field like Champ does. They don't grow on trees.

right, never mind that every single team in the league is going through the exact same thing to some degree

or that there are quarterbacks like Manning and Brady that don't have deals done yet

but yeah, must be a "mismanagement" issue

fontaine
06-29-2010, 03:27 AM
I've yet to hear a real reason why Champ shouldn't be resigned.

Sure it's going to cost top dollar but if that's a problem then it's a problem with the team not Champ because he WILL get top dollar in the open market.

We'll have plenty of cap space.
He's still going to play at a very high level at CB for another two years and more as a safety.
He's a great locker room guy and team leader.
All he's done as a Bronco is make plays and shut down his side of the field, period.

If the organization can shell out millions to projects like Jarvis Moss and Robert freakin' Ayers to produce, maybe, two/three years down the line then they sure as hell can give Champ a new contract to continue to produce NOW.