PDA

View Full Version : Annoying people at the gym

Pages : [1] 2

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
It's offseason. Anyone that has been more than a few times starts to notice who comes and who goes. Most are just normal people trying to do their thing and go, but there are some that stand out because you want to kick them in the balls when they walk in. Here is a list and a poll to follow. Please feel free to comment or add your own.

Annoying Gym Guys

1. You’re-Doing-it-Wrong-Guy: This is the douche that is constantly giving out unsolicited advice to everyone. Sometimes he’s genuinely trying to be helpful, most of the time he’s just trying to passive aggressively make himself feel better than you. His advice includes comments such as “You should holder for a ten count on that squat, bro!” and “Your form is all wrong, bro.” Doing-it-Wrong-Guy takes his act into the locker room where he likes to ask you what supplements you’re taking to see if they’re different than his own, where he then explains why his are better. You’re-doing-it-wrong-guy is in every gym.

2. Screaming-Attention-Whore: This is the douche who is usually relatively big (usually not cut and over-loaded in his chest) who screams and throws his weights down after every lift. He loves to scream bloody murder during and especially at the end of his sets so we all look over at him, after which he ratchets up his douchness by throwing his weights on the ground, hopefully into other pieces of equipment making as much noise and causing as much damage as possible. After this retarded display, he will usually turn either to the mirror to stare at himself, or to the women on the treadmill in full belief they are thinking about him naked. Aside from being a huge distraction during your workout, Attention-whore also damages equipment and his complete disrespect for the gym equipment makes him especially hated.

3. Machine Evictor: This isn’t the guy that wants in while you’re in-between sets. This is the guy that asks if he can step in when you’re in between reps. The douche that stands next to you and glares at you like you’re some kind of a-hole for daring to do leg extensions when he “always does them this time of day, dude. Everyone knows that.” He won’t use the same machine right next to you either. He’s the kind of workout sociopath that really needs to be kicked in the balls.

4. Machine-Hog: Probably what helped turn “Machine Evicter” is the Machine-Hog. Machine Hog spends all his (and many times her) time on one machine, all day. It’s usually something like the cable cross machine, but occasionally (and ridiculously) can be something weird like a pull-up machine. Machine Hog found his comfort zone and wouldn’t dare leave it, spending 20 mins to and hour and a half in one area trying to not make eye contact with all the other people staring at them for the squatting weirdoes that they are.

5. Stank Death: This is that guy (sometimes girl) who absolutely wreaks of rotting flesh. No, it is not simply BO. This guy emanates of filth and possible orificial infection of some kind. They are sometimes pretty large, and when they are, you feel bad for thinking ill of them since they are obviously there trying to make themselves better. Sometimes it’s an otherwise normal looking guy who just seems to wreak and happens to be wreaking on your next station, leaving his infected festering smears all over the bench.

6. Tread Hanger – I had one of these two weeks ago. This dude is running next to you on the treadmill, but rather than just run, he puts 70% of his weight on the heart rate sensors. This usually involves him leaning over and hugging the console while his toes ricochet off the treadmill. The guy last week kept leaning on and off the thing looking like he was humping the machine.

7. Cartoon Guy – This is that dude that is a walking caricature. From the waist up he’s huge. From the waist down my grandma has more muscle mass. Often seen on the bench or doing squats. He’s not really annoying, so much as funny to look at.

8. Perv – This is not someone who occasionally flirts at the gym. This is the guy that spends most of his time talking to every remotely hot chick at the gym. He has no game, usually just resorting to telling them about his workout or their workout. That’s his whole life so you can’t blame him, but it is kind of annoying when he won’t leave your wife alone.

9. Mr. Lonely – This is the guy that likes to strike up conversations with you, often cracking-wise as though he’s some kind of comedic genius hired out by the facility to make commentary by the row machine. He’s usually sporting a water bottle and likes approaching complete strangers and ask seemingly innocent questions that turn into hour long conversations. He is parasitic so it’s best to walk away because if you make eye-contact, he will follow you around the rest of the workout.

10. Cheater: I know, just ripped on “you’re doing it wrong guy” but you can feel that temptation when you see cheater. Cheater thinks he’s awesome at lifting because he can do a ton of reps. The thing is he barely does them at all, usually sort of grunting and swinging his arms around. When he benches, his solar plexus is a springboard for the bar, vaulting it six inches in the air. His curls consist of swinging his arms back and forth like Donkey Kong. Lat pull downs are him humping the cross bar between his leg and leaning back like he’s waterskiing. You don’t say anything, but he sure could use some urine in the eye when you see him finish his “set” and he smirks at your weight sizes.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm none of those. Kick ass.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Ive been guilty of being number 3 and number 4. Can we also add "Sings and dances along with his ipod guy" and "i just made a new years resolution and am clogging up the gym even though i have no intentions on trying very hard guy"

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
the machine hog....get the **** off my machine, ya fat, lazy POS

signed,

the Evictor

:cuss:

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
ive been guilty of being number 3 and number 4. Can we also add "sings and dances along with his ipod guy" and "i just made a new years resolution and am clogging up the gym even though i have no intentions on trying very hard guy"

lol

Los Broncos
06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Cell phone while on machine guy or girl.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Ive been guilty of being number 3 and number 4.
I hate you.
Can we also add "Sings and dances along with his ipod guy"
Ok, that's totally me.

and "i just made a new years resolution and am clogging up the gym even though i have no intentions on trying very hard guy"
Man that sucks. I take a vacation the first two weeks of January and that's one of the benefits of doing so. You come in and there's a sea of noobies on the cardio machines you know won't be there in four weeks.

kappys
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Scream attention whore is often accompanied by screaming attention spotter - working in tandem to ensure that people look at him right before he lifts some massive weight off his chest - wouldn't want to risk people missing the whole lift.

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I hate you.

Ok, that's totally me.

Man that sucks. I take a vacation the first two weeks of January and that's one of the benefits of doing so. You come in and there's a sea of noobies on the cardio machines you know won't be there in four weeks.

yeah.....by week 3 they're camping out on the nautilus machines

gyldenlove
06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
You forgot at least 2 stereotypes:

11. Drip-Drip: The sweatiest individual you will ever run into, looks like he just dived for nickles and is entirely drenched. This individual is oblivious to the fact that he is leaving puddles and some times small lakes on whatever piece of equipment he touches. If you ever need a snorkle to adjust the tension on the oblique press machine you know this guy was there just before you.

12. Stretchypants. This is the girl and some times guy, who spends half an our warming up stretching muscles and tendons you never even heard, preferably by flailing body parts around in the most high trafficated area of the gym. These people will take your eye out if you are not careful and they will blame you for walking into them while they were stretching their multifidus. They will work out for about 15 minutes during which time they will adjust machines, crack their knuckles and drink their body weight in water and then proceed to repeat the entire stretching ceremony again.

kappys
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm more of the get on the treadmill behind hot girl and stare at her ass while I run kind of guy. No talking though, don't want to spoil the momenthttp://www.orangemane.com/BB/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2869153

SonOfLe-loLang
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I hate you.

Ok, that's totally me.

haha...well, im actually really polite about asking people if i can work in with them, but i've glared once or twice.

You can always tell the noobs. 1) they are out of shape. 2) they bring their kindle to read in between sets. 3) They have new workout clothes as if that will somehow aid the process.

gyldenlove
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Ok, that's totally me.

There is no stick large enough to give you the beating you deserve. There is nothing more antisocial than people who have their ipod turned up so loud the sandwich artist at the Subway down the street can bob along to the tune, especially if they also tap their feet, drum on the machines or god forbid hum or sing whatever god-awful boyband makes their heart flutter.

:wave:

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm more of the get on the treadmill behind hot girl and stare at her ass while I run kind of guy. No talking though, don't want to spoil the momenthttp://www.orangemane.com/BB/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2869153

:thumbsup::rofl:

SonOfLe-loLang
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
There is no stick large enough to give you the beating you deserve. There is nothing more antisocial than people who have their ipod turned up so loud the sandwich artist at the Subway down the street can bob along to the tune, especially if they also tap their feet, drum on the machines or god forbid hum or sing whatever god-awful boyband makes their heart flutter.

I do, however, love the guy on the exercise bike who is air drumming like he's trying out for Metallica.

Beantown Bronco
06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
"Yeah, why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other."

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I do, however, love the guy on the exercise bike who is air drumming like he's trying out for Metallica.

guilty ;D

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Well I don't have it up very loud, and they go in my ear so no one can hear them. But I do bounce my head and hum along. Is it ridiculous? Yes, but it's so loud where I go no one hears me and I only get crazy on stationary machines. I'm married and not looking for friends at the gym, so if it's anti-social then good.

Yeah that's me.

MileHighMagic
06-22-2010, 01:34 PM
The one that bugs me is the guys that ONLY lift chest and biceps. Also, why does damn near everyone lift chest on Mondays?

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
"Yeah, why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other."

Chief Karlin: What's your name?
Fletch: Fletch.
Chief Karlin: What's your full name?
Fletch: Fletch F. Fletch.
Chief Karlin: What do you do for a living, Mr. Fletch?
Fletch: I'm a shepherd.
Chief Karlin: Why are you doing this, Mr. Fletch?
Fletch: I like men. I like to be manhandled. I like you.

Kaylore
You forgot at least 2 stereotypes:

11. Drip-Drip: The sweatiest individual you will ever run into, looks like he just dived for nickles and is entirely drenched. This individual is oblivious to the fact that he is leaving puddles and some times small lakes on whatever piece of equipment he touches. If you ever need a snorkle to adjust the tension on the oblique press machine you know this guy was there just before you.

12. Stretchypants. This is the girl and some times guy, who spends half an our warming up stretching muscles and tendons you never even heard, preferably by flailing body parts around in the most high trafficated area of the gym. These people will take your eye out if you are not careful and they will blame you for walking into them while they were stretching their multifidus. They will work out for about 15 minutes during which time they will adjust machines, crack their knuckles and drink their body weight in water and then proceed to repeat the entire stretching ceremony again.
Good additions. Don't know how I missed drippy. That's my Dad. He's very in shape (runs 4 miles every other day) but he walks briskly for a few minutes and it looks like he showered with his clothes on. Sucks to cover in basketball.

SonOfLe-loLang
Well I don't have it up very loud, and they go in my ear so no one can hear them. But I do bounce my head and hum along. Is it ridiculous? Yes, but it's so loud where I go no one hears me and I only get crazy on stationary machines. I'm married and not looking for friends at the gym, so if it's anti-social then good.

Yeah that's me.

If youre humming along so i can hear you through my earbuds, then its too loud. but i was referring to the guy who actually sings the lyrics while dancing like he's at the club. Maybe thats an LA thing, but there's more than one of those at my gym.

Also, how about the guy who wears skintight unitards to show off his muscles...and also his balls?

OCBronco
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Many reminders for why I don't work out at gyms anymore.

Irish Stout
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Also, how about the guy who wears skintight unitards to show off his muscles...and also his balls?

That sounds like an LA thing.

Flex Gunmetal
The one that bugs me is the guys that ONLY lift chest and biceps. Also, why does damn near everyone lift chest on Mondays?

My off days are sun-mon, but I always do chest and abs on tues. Most people start the week with chest.

The worst is the guy doing curls on the squat rack.

mr007

Probably because it's the best large muscle group to start out with and doesn't affect your other muscle groups as much later in the week.

mr007
06-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I'd like to add "guy who uses limited availability racks (squats, etc) for doing stupid **** like curls" that probably annoys me most.

loborugger
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I come off as a #2... but its only grunting and thats only cuz I am going for max effort.

I can also do the whole #3 at times - but its usually cuz I am dealing with a #4. Often times I am working out for time and it would totally mess up my work out to wait 5 minutes til they finish up their last set, which will consist of 20 seconds of lifting and 4:40 of resting. But part of that is the damn gym. They got 5000 machines in the freakin' place and only one rack for dips. And the only place for pull ups is on the handles in the universal.

While I enjoy the gym, to me its a place to get things done. I am not there to chit chat (and an Ipod is great for that... cant chat, I am rockin' out). Further, I am not there to compare to others. I have my shortcomings and I work on them instead of mocking others. So, while I find none of these guys annoying - and I have never even come across the Stank Death person - the most comical of the group is the people (and its largely women) who are the tread hangers... be it on the treadmill or more likely the stair climber. Admit you arent Adonis, slow the pace down, and you will get better results sooner. Usually those folks are doing structural damage to their body as they are supporting themselves by locking joints and using their skeleton vs their muscles to hold themselves in place.

But, of course, if you tell 'em that, it makes you a #1, and the conversation has come full circle... :approve:

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Probably because it's the best large muscle group to start out with and doesn't affect your other muscle groups as much later in the week.

I actually do biceps last. But I do always start with chest.

loborugger
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd like to add "guy who uses limited availability racks (squats, etc) for doing stupid **** like curls" that probably annoys me most.

I amend my vote. I am behind this one.

SportinOne
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
13. The guy who seems to have a problem with the way everyone else in the gym is doing things, so he makes a list explaining why he hates each and every one of them while painting a picture of himself as "The Normal One." Does he feel threatened or have some sort of inferiority complex? Is he merely another you're-doing-it-wrong guy in disguise? Whatever the case, at least he has sublimated his overwhelming negativity into a creative outlet.

loborugger
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM
13. The guy who seems to have a problem with the way everyone else in the gym is doing things, so he makes a list explaining why he hates each and every one of them while painting a picture of himself as "The Normal One." Does he feel threatened or have some sort of inferiority complex? Is he merely another you're-doing-it-wrong guy in disguise? Whatever the case, at least he has sublimated his overwhelming negativity into a creative outlet.

You mean the you're doing it wrong guy???

NYBronco
06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
#14 Equipment Lounge Lizard(s) These are the type that come in and talk about anything under the sun and moon using the exercise equipment as their lazy boy and couch making it so others have to alter their routines until they move on. Once they decide to leave they head for the showers and call it a workout.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 02:15 PM

How about the asshole with no sense of humor who people don't invite to parties lest he gets on his high-horse and spoils all the fun guy? No one here is claiming perfection. Self ridicule is encouraged as is owning up. No need to be offended.

TheReverend
06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
What about "only does curls" guy?

FantomForce
06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Kaylore if memory serves me right you are in Utah, I have to go with Cheater, but I don't know if this needs his own category or not. Once I lived in Provo for a summer, (NEVER AGAIN), anyways, I am a Gold's Gym on 9th. I watch as an individual racks three 45 lbs. plates on each side, no warm up, no stretching, just going to throw up 315 and show the world how strong he is. So I think damn, I want to watch this, if this is a warm up weight for this guy he'll be bending the bar by the time he is done. :strong:, So I causually continue doing squats, and lunges (leg day for me), Cheater starts with the arm against the wall stretch, then continues to stretch for 30-40 minutes, getting under the bar, stretching, getting back under, grunting, stretching. Never once did he even attempt to put that much up, he just looked at all the girlies while doing his thing. Holy hell it was funny just watching, still probably went home aloneHilarious!

ghwk
06-22-2010, 02:22 PM
#14 Naked Poser Guy in The Locker Room

This guy is so unabashedily proud of his bulk and workout he does naked posedowns in front of the mirror after taking a shower so he can admire ALL of his glistening manhood. It's a shame that he doesn't realize it's an effort wasted on his audience. Sort of like the "Drummer at the Wrong Gig" dude. Brings living definition to the word "Creepy".

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 02:24 PM

ahh yes...the 'thread went over your head' guy

baja
06-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I have a home gym now but when I did go to the gym I hated the sweaty pig that sweat buckets on the machines and never wiped it up ever. Usually smelt like old grease too.

jhns
06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
No need to be offended.

I think his post was meant to be taken in jest. I found it funny.

bronco militia

This guy is so unabashedily proud of his bulk and workout he does naked posedowns in front of the mirror after taking a shower so he can admire ALL of his glistening manhood. It's a shame that he doesn't realize it's an effort wasted on his audience. Sort of like the "Drummer at the Wrong Gig" dude. Brings living definition to the word "Creepy".

:saywhat: I think you're at the wrong gym Ha!

SportinOne
How about the a-hole with no sense of humor who people don't invite to parties

i'm cherishing the fact that you felt the need to emphasize this.

Fusionfrontman
06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
hahaha I love these... I'm so anti-social when I am working out I have a full gym at home. Like others, I consider the gym a place to work, get in and out. If I wanted to chat with people I'd go to a bar

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Kaylore if memory serves me right you are in Utah, I have to go with Cheater, but I don't know if this needs his own category or not. Once I lived in Provo for a summer, (NEVER AGAIN), anyways, I am a Gold's Gym on 9th. I watch as an individual racks three 45 lbs. plates on each side, no warm up, no stretching, just going to throw up 315 and show the world how strong he is. So I think damn, I want to watch this, if this is a warm up weight for this guy he'll be bending the bar by the time he is done. :strong:, So I causually continue doing squats, and lunges (leg day for me), Cheater starts with the arm against the wall stretch, then continues to stretch for 30-40 minutes, getting under the bar, stretching, getting back under, grunting, stretching. Never once did he even attempt to put that much up, he just looked at all the girlies while doing his thing. Holy hell it was funny just watching, still probably went home aloneHilarious!

Gold's gym. :~ohyah!: People in Provo LOVE Gold's gym. I don't understand why. It's too small and cramped and it's not very well ventilated. I am not in Utah anymore (haven't been for several years) but they had this awesome 24 fitness there that was only ever half full because everyone else had to go to Gold's gym and pack themselves in that tiny sweat fest. I don't totally blame them because all the college girls go to Gold's too, but that's not why I go, so to each his own, I suppose.

You gotta love the "I stack loads of weight in hopes someone will be impressed with how much weight is on this thing I intend to lift and then stretch around it never lifting hoping people don't notice and just assume I already lifted it" guy, though. :rofl:

Taco John

Makes the most sense to me. Work from the inside out.

SportinOne
i found a picture taken from a security camera at Kaylore's local gym.. see if you can spot him:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9906/gymx.jpg

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
ahh yes...the 'thread went over your head' guy

Ha!

Taco John
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Is he the choade doing pushups AT THE GYM! AHAHAHAHA!

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Is he the choade doing pushups AT THE GYM! AHAHAHAHA!

It's a trick question! I'm the camera man.

SportinOne

my friend had a rather unfortunate experience with Naked Guy... he was in the sauna after a workout and decided to lean back against the wall and close his eyes for a bit.. when he opened them, the man across the room was staring straight at him, tugging his junk FEVERISHLY.

Irish Stout
i found a picture taken from a security camera at Kaylore's local gym.. see if you can spot him:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9906/gymx.jpg

Is that Tom Petty doing lunges?

ghwk
06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
my friend had a rather unfortunate experience with Naked Guy... he was in the sauna after a workout and decided to lean back against the wall and close his eyes for a bit.. when he opened them, the man across the room was staring straight at him, tugging his junk FEVERISHLY.

Now HE was at the wrong gym. I don't think there should be a classification for "Jerks Off in the Sauna Guy". Thats just wrong.

bronco militia
06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

SportinOne
06-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Now HE was at the wrong gym. I don't think there should be a classification for "Jerks Off in the Sauna Guy". Thats just wrong.

maybe he WAS at the wrong gym.. i have no idea how dating works in the "other" culture.. this could have been courting behavior?

elsid13
06-22-2010, 02:42 PM
The newbie asking annoying advice when you are in the middle of lifting or doing a complex movement.

ghwk
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
maybe he WAS at the wrong gym.. i have no idea how dating works in the "other" culture.. this could have been courting behavior?

You know I really have nothing else to offer here.....

gtown
06-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't know if you have them out West, but the "my new haircut" guido transplant from Cherry Hill, New Jersey exhibits all of the social maladies that Kaylore spelled out. But he does it in style by talking on his cell phone while asking how many sets you have left and wearing the ultratight douchey MMA shirt. Imagine wiping what appears to be a cup of pomade off the bench when him and his buddies are doing getting their swell on. And with the World Cup going on, I get to see these guys in their douchey Puma Italian Soccer Team track suits.

theAPAOps5
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I detest screamer guy. Nothing like trying to bench and the guy a few spaces over is doing Hang Cleans or some other variation and he just drops the weights from a spot around his chest.

Man I want to shove a 45 up his nose!

baja
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
i don't know if you have them out west, but the "my new haircut" guido transplant from cherry hill, new jersey exhibits all of the social maladies that kaylore spelled out. But he does it in style by talking on his cell phone while asking how many sets you have left and wearing the ultratight douchey mma shirt. Imagine wiping what appears to be a cup of pomade off the bench when him and his buddies are doing getting their swell on. And with the world cup going on, i get to see these guys in their douchey puma italian soccer team track suits.

lol

Hogan11
06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Buy your own equipment (Bench, weights, leg, butterfly, delt and lat attachments) and you avoid all these aholes with the same amount of cash as a couple of yearly memberships.

Problem solved.

Flex Gunmetal
06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Buy your own equipment (Bench, weights, leg, butterfly, delt and lat attachments) and you avoid all these aholes with the same amount of cash as a couple of yearly memberships.

Problem solved.

The gym offers much more than I could/would afford to build a home gym. Between cardio, free weights, squat rack, cable machine I would be out $5k+

PRBronco
06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Hahaha omg my gym has several of those types. You left out greasy Iranian/Jordanian/etc super precise chin strap beard talk on cell phone guy. There's a lot of them around my neck of the woods :(

scorpio
06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
There's this tall skinny hipster girl who will unleash NASTY farts and then make a beeline for the other side of the gym. I'm always worried people who walk by will think I did it. I mean they are really nasty.

My personal pet peeve is "Guy who stands directly in front of the dumbbell rack and does curls" guy. It's usually old people or teenagers. I'm going to chuck a 45lbs. plate at someone's head one of these days.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 03:04 PM

I don't see a lot of that. I did go to the pool late on a weeknight (after 11) at my gym and found walked in on a couple having sex, though.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
The gym offers much more than I could/would afford to build a home gym. Between cardio, free weights, squat rack, cable machine I would be out $5k+

Not to mention the room to put it in.

Hogan11
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Your basics can be obtained pretty cheaply thru local secondhand sales (people are always selling that stuff around my parts, just have to look for a decent brand like TDS or something) . Most cable machine exercises have a free weight subsitute. For cardio, you can always jog around the neighborhood and so on.

Bottom line is, there are always cheap alternatives to the high priced noise of a public gym.

scorpio

ohhhh god. I usually hit the gym before work and the locker room is wall-to-wall naked old guys showing off the goods.

feelsbadman.jpg

Requiem
The people who smell like the black plague no doubt. I can tolerate the actions of people or simply ignore their stupidity, but ignoring a boy or girl who smells like they just got out a hot tub filled with piss, pepperoni and sewage is just too much to overcome. There have been a few times I've almost blew chunks as they've walked past.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't see a lot of that. I did go to the pool late on a weeknight (after 11) at my gym and found walked in on a couple having sex, though.

I've found used condoms on the locker room floor two seperate times

baja
06-22-2010, 03:16 PM
The people who smell like the black plague no doubt. I can tolerate the actions of people or simply ignore their stupidity, but ignoring a boy or girl who smells like they just got out a hot tub filled with piss, pepperoni and sewage is just too much to overcome. There have been a few times I've almost blew chunks as they've walked past.

This and the profuse sweaters

Los Broncos
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Haha, that's funny and gross.

scorpio
06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Your basics can be obtained pretty cheaply thru local secondhand sales (people are always selling that stuff around my parts, just have to look for a decent brand like TDS or something) . Most cable machine exercises have a free weight subsitute. For cardio, you can always jog around the neighborhood and so on.

Bottom line is, there are always cheap alternatives to the high priced noise of a public gym.

Having a home gym is ideal, but like others have mentioned you need the extra space, at a minimum hundreds (more like thousands) of dollars of equipment, and your options will still be more limited than at a commercial gym. Even just a nice bench and power rack is going to cost more than 2+ years of gym membership.

Plus I like talking to people once in awhile. Sometimes.

baja
06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I've found used condoms on the locker room floor two separate times

What's bad is when you see them circling around the Jacuzzi amongst the foam after you get in....

Gets worse when you remember you slipped a little and swallowed some water.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
What's bad is when you see them circling around the Jacuzzi amongst the foam after you get in....

Gets worse when you remember you slipped a little and swallowed some water.
:spit:
How deep is your hot tub? And what are you doing that you're slipping and submerging your head with your mouth open?

That couple I walked in on was in the hot tub. Took me a month to get back in.

Taco John
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
LOL! I was wondering the same thing!

I've managed not to swallow public hot tub water.

ghwk
06-22-2010, 03:31 PM
I was going to call end of thread right there.

B-Love
06-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Do any of your gyms have "Constant Hands on Hips Poser Man".

The milisecond he is done with his set, his hands go to the side of his hips, but instead of resting his arms semi flaccid, every muscle in his arms, chest and back are fully flexed, in a very uncomfortable looking "Poser" manuever.

And they stay in that Poser Flex until the milisecond they start their next set.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Do any of your gyms have "Constant Hands on Hips Poser Man".

The milisecond he is done with his set, his hands go to the side of his hips, but instead of resting his arms semi flaccid, every muscle in his arms, chest and back are fully flexed, in a very uncomfortable looking "Poser" manuever.

And they stay in that Poser Flex until the milisecond they start their next set.

LOL See, I think that's awesome. You have a 50's Superman at your gym.

RhymesayersDU
06-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I go to a small local gym, and I love the place. I do fear it's going to go out of business because it's never ever busy, but I will go with it as long as I can. I used to go to the "popular" gym, which is massive, has two of everything, etc. On the surface, that is great. Except it attracts every type of person on this list. My current small gym? None of these idiots. Nobody could be annoyed at this gym.

Seriously. There's never more than 20 people in the gym I go to at any given time, and literally none of the annoying gym people are there. At least, not when I'm there. And I go at 5:30, which is when most people I assume go.

However, there is one guy that has become really annoying. Now he seems nice enough, and in general he keeps to himself and works out and leaves. But he comes by himself, and he insists on doing exercises that require a spotter. And thus, he makes the rounds asking people to spot him. On a particularly slow day, he asked me like 5 times. I mean, on the one hand, safety first is always the best gym policy. But on the other hand, if you're going to be by yourself, do exercises that you can do by yourself! Don't do freeweights when you could do a machine and not require a spotter! I mean, is it a big deal for me to help out the guy? Of course not. But now I'm getting out of my flow, my routine, putting down whatever I'm doing and it's just annoying.

So that's my gym beef. But in general I love my gym.

There's also a funny scene regarding just working out the "glam muscles" in one episode of Sunny in Philly.

Mogulseeker
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM

MightySmurf, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Dempsey Dog
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Buck-naked-guy-with-his-junk-on-counter-as-he-shaves is pretty damn annoying. Furthermore, he then takes the community hair dryer, which I do not use, to blow dry his junk. WTF...jeez I would like snap that guy with a towel.

Mogulseeker
06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I go to a small local gym, and I love the place. I do fear it's going to go out of business because it's never ever busy, but I will go with it as long as I can. I used to go to the "popular" gym, which is massive, has two of everything, etc. On the surface, that is great. Except it attracts every type of person on this list. My current small gym? None of these idiots. Nobody could be annoyed at this gym.

Seriously. There's never more than 20 people in the gym I go to at any given time, and literally none of the annoying gym people are there. At least, not when I'm there. And I go at 5:30, which is when most people I assume go.

However, there is one guy that has become really annoying. Now he seems nice enough, and in general he keeps to himself and works out and leaves. But he comes by himself, and he insists on doing exercises that require a spotter. And thus, he makes the rounds asking people to spot him. On a particularly slow day, he asked me like 5 times. I mean, on the one hand, safety first is always the best gym policy. But on the other hand, if you're going to be by yourself, do exercises that you can do by yourself! Don't do freeweights when you could do a machine and not require a spotter! I mean, is it a big deal for me to help out the guy? Of course not. But now I'm getting out of my flow, my routine, putting down whatever I'm doing and it's just annoying.

There's also a funny scene regarding just working out the "glam muscles" in one episode of Sunny in Philly.

Most of the time I work out at the Ritchie Center.

RhymesayersDU
06-22-2010, 04:14 PM

I wonder if this guy is cousin of angry message board troll guy who sees a popular thread with many replies, and then intentionally tries to prove how it's lame or wrong, despite everybody else loving it and participating in it.

RhymesayersDU
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Most of the time I work out at the Ritchie Center.

Do you like it? Sadly, I never utilized that during my time at DU. Seriously, I can count on one hand the number of times I worked out there I think. Too busy being hung over I suppose. I'm in Albuquerque now though, and I enjoy my current gym.

DenverBrit
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
They are all annoying.

But the one that finally drove me to create my own home gym......the fat, old guys who insist on walking around butt naked in the locker area. 8')

BroncoLifer
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I used to go to a gym in Boulder that had a major "Locker Room Donald Trump" problem. Every night, several guys on the phone LOUDLY and ostentatiously talking about the latest stock market/lawsuit/buyout/merger thing they had going on to impress the plebs with how important they were.

I always assumed that most of them were pathetic fakes trying to puff up their low self-esteem. Whatever the case, they annoyed me more than anyone who was actually in the gym working out.

Mogulseeker
06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Do you like it? Sadly, I never utilized that during my time at DU. Seriously, I can count on one hand the number of times I worked out there I think. Too busy being hung over I suppose. I'm in Albuquerque now though, and I enjoy my current gym.

They divide out the memberships between Crimson and Gold. All students automatically get a Crimson membership as part of their tuition. I'm cheap - haven't been in to gold locker room. I will say, it's clean, not TOO crowded and serves my needs. No track though, I wish they had a track.

tsiguy96
06-22-2010, 04:39 PM

doing ****ty machine weights and doing free weights are two different things. its common gym etiquette to just give him a spot, not everyone has someone to lift with but wants to make actual progress in the gym by doing real lifts.

Requiem
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Kenny Powers doesn't go to the gym.

RhymesayersDU
06-22-2010, 04:50 PM
doing ****ty machine weights and doing free weights are two different things. its common gym etiquette to just give him a spot, not everyone has someone to lift with but wants to make actual progress in the gym by doing real lifts.

Don't get my wrong, I've never said no, nor would I ever. It just annoys me.

tsiguy96
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM

i know i got ya, just saying that not everoyne has someone else to lift with, but they still want to get a good, intense and effective workout in. that requires stuff that isnt 100% safe without a spotter.

bowtown
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM

The locker room needs its own seperate set:

The Big Spread
This guys seems to have absolutley no awareness that anyone else in the gym is using the locker room. He has a hockey bag that he keeps his gym clothes in that apparently can't get dirty and must at all times be on a bench, or two. He usually also seems to have 3 wardrobes to choose from laid out in single file and an entire bathroom worth of hair products. He has 4 towels on the ground in front of his locker, and when you need to get to your locker next to his, he slides a few inches to the side and moves nothing.

Locker Room Lover
If this guy could get just a locker room membership, he would. You have never actually seen this guy in the gym working out. You only see him in the locker room... all the time. Before you work out, he's headed for the sauna, after you work out, he's on his way to the steam room, on your way out he's on his way back to the sauna. Sometimes he displays the traits of Naked Poser Guy, and sometimes he's a Mr. Lonely, but mostly he just really loves spending time in a Men's locker room.

Dr. Dumper
This guy may not have a toilet in his own home, because, no matter how gross the locker room toilets are, he's chosen to use them to do the deed pretty much every single day- he also seems to be extremely regular. The dumps tend to be loud, with vocal sound effects, and will stink up the whole joint for at least an hour.

The Washless Wonder
He's just gonna use the urinal really quick, grab on to his sweaty junk, shake it out, and then not even glance at the sink as he heads back up to the gym to put his hands all over the equipment. Nothing like seeing this guy on the next machine in your circuit.

gunns
06-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I put Machine Hog, Mr. Lonely, and other. The other is the heavy bitch you comes as a guest with her girlfriend and is "playing" around on the machines. She will never come again, it's just a fun night out and she's occupying the last machines everywhere.

baja
06-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Another thing that gets to me is women finding a way to rub their breasts on me or show deep cleavage inches from my eyes while I trying to work out. Annoying!

baja
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
The guy that farts in the sauna I could kill that person.

broncocalijohn
06-22-2010, 05:46 PM
I didnt read through but i put other because worse than stinky odor from working out is Miss Priss rolling in after work smelling like Perfume. What a horrible thing to smell of perfume mixed with sweat. They also stink up the equipment with their spray on rose ****ing pedals or whatever they spray from head to toe.

Chris
06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with asking to work in during busy times if no other bench or machine (if you do machines... pussy) is available.

I hate people that talk like it's a convo but the people I hate the MOST are people that don't put weights back or put them in the wrong ****ing place.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
The locker room needs its own seperate set:

The Big Spread
This guys seems to have absolutley no awareness that anyone else in the gym is using the locker room. He has a hockey bag that he keeps his gym clothes in that apparently can't get dirty and must at all times be on a bench, or two. He usually also seems to have 3 wardrobes to choose from laid out in single file and an entire bathroom worth of hair products. He has 4 towels on the ground in front of his locker, and when you need to get to your locker next to his, he slides a few inches to the side and moves nothing.

Locker Room Lover
If this guy could get just a locker room membership, he would. You have never actually seen this guy in the gym working out. You only see him in the locker room... all the time. Before you work out, he's headed for the sauna, after you work out, he's on his way to the steam room, on your way out he's on his way back to the sauna. Sometimes he displays the traits of Naked Poser Guy, and sometimes he's a Mr. Lonely, but mostly he just really loves spending time in a Men's locker room.

Dr. Dumper
This guy may not have a toilet in his own home, because, no matter how gross the locker room toilets are, he's chosen to use them to do the deed pretty much every single day- he also seems to be extremely regular. The dumps tend to be loud, with vocal sound effects, and will stink up the whole joint for at least an hour.

The Washless Wonder
He's just gonna use the urinal really quick, grab on to his sweaty junk, shake it out, and then not even glance at the sink as he heads back up to the gym to put his hands all over the equipment. Nothing like seeing this guy on the next machine in your circuit.
ROFL! Some excellent additions. Locker rooms are their own.

How about the lonely nudist? He walks up and starts talking excitedly to you with his junk flapping about. He isn't changing. He isn't going to the shower. He's not coming from the sauna. He's just naked and talking. To everyone.

Archer81
06-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I picked the Perv. There is nothing worse than the older dude who always manages to show up to talk to you or ask you "how things are" when you are on the treadmill or doing curls or the benchpress. Its doubly worse because I am only at the gym for one thing, and thats to work out. Not play tummy swords in the hot tub or sauna room whack off. There is a place for that. Gym is not it.

Also not a fan of the old naked dudes who hang around locker rooms and talk to one another and you. It seems this is not contained to just the gays, as old straight men do it as well. I dont mind talking for a minute and you happen to drop a towel to slip on some shorts...but dont just drop the towel and procede to tell me every sad detail of your day with your old balls swaying in the breeze. Even for me, thats too much.

:Broncos:

Vegas_Bronco
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
One of my favs to hate on is a guy just like the 'P90X Host'...a culmination of all of these - probably never played a sport in his life at a high level but hurt his knee in a skiing accident and now has to show-up everyone on the videos/room and even brags about having nicer shoes than his buddy. His social skills are horribly under-developed like a 40 year old jock that never got the blessed opportunity to be one in high school. But, now, at the 'tight' age of 40 works out his new found confidence through his offensive social interactions during workouts - making them feel like trash b/c he's better than they are or one upping them. I quit working out with one of my friends b/c he started taking on Tony Horton jargon and syndrome.

Bring It.

Btw, at our high school, you could challenge anyone entering the weight room to a boxing fight after school. Simply sign their name and your name to the list and the coach/weight trainer would get it lined up. It kept a lot of fights out of the halls and weight room and we had high class ethical behavior in that weight room....mucho respect and courtesy simply b/c We knew the boxing gloves and personal pride were at stake anyday of the week. It also gave you a chance to fight anyone who annoyed you on a continual basis. Which resulted in the loser typically changing his training time :)

I challenged the trainer/coach at the end of the year...and it didn't go too well - never been knocked out like that b4.

baja
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
One of my favs to hate on is a guy just like the 'P90X Host'...a culmination of all of these - probably never played a sport in his life at a high level but hurt his knee in a skiing accident and now has to show-up everyone on the videos/room and even brags about having nicer shoes than his buddy. His social skills are horribly under-developed like a 40 year old jock that never got the blessed opportunity to be one in high school. But, now, at the 'tight' age of 40 works out his new found confidence through his offensive social interactions during workouts - making them feel like trash b/c he's better than they are or one upping them. I quit working out with one of my friends b/c he started taking on Tony Horton jargon and syndrome.

Bring It.

Btw, at our high school, you could challenge anyone entering the weight room to a boxing fight after school. Simply sign their name and your name to the list and the coach/weight trainer would get it lined up. It kept a lot of fights out of the halls and weight room and we had high class ethical behavior in that weight room....mucho respect and courtesy simply b/c We knew the boxing gloves and personal pride were at stake anyday of the week. It also gave you a chance to fight anyone who annoyed you on a continual basis. Which resulted in the loser typically changing his training time :)

<b>I challenged the trainer/coach at the end of the year...and it didn't go too well - never been knocked out like that b4.

I did that with my drill sergeant - big mistake.

Dude knew some shiit

Popps
06-22-2010, 07:38 PM
I swear to god I've meant to start this thread a million times. So many classics.

baja
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I can't believe there are not more complains of women shoving their breasts in your face when you are trying to work out.

I do totally agree with the poster that mentioned the perfumed up equipment - gross.

Chris
06-22-2010, 08:29 PM
You know you're on a sports forum when you can get a 5 page thread about the gym.

spdirty
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
How about the "son I'm 55 years old, run 5 miles a day, lift weights every day, and your a fat lazy ****er cuz you dont go to the gym with me. I think you're adopted" guy. That ****er annoys the hell out of me. But I think he has come from the gym and bitched about every single type of person on khan's list.

In fact almost every time he finishes his workout I ask him how it was hoping he will piss and moan about some annoying douche at the gym. And that always makes me laugh. And its always good to start your day with a good laugh.

azbroncfan
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
How about the mr junk/mr lonely guy in the locker room. This guy feels like he needs to pick the locker right next to you then proceed to try to carry on a conversation with you and could care less about getting dressed. His favorite part in the gym is to take a shower and strike up conversation with strangers completely naked. Even though the lockerroom is empty he picks the locker next to yours.

MMA replay guy-Usually is meeting his buddy's to work out. They all are sporting affliction/tapout shirts and spend most of the time going over the weekends MMA fights. Not only to we actually just talk about it and drag out the workouts, we actually give the play by play and replay of the punches. You show your buddy's what this guy should of done and show the type of punches he through.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2010, 08:42 PM
3. Machine Evictor: This isn’t the guy that wants in while you’re in-between sets. This is the guy that asks if he can step in when you’re in between reps.

Definitely ... just one of these guys I can think of, but that's enough. My gym is basically empty on weekends, and even though there's 40-50 machines, it's mine he wants.

He takes an awkward physical angle toward me as I finish a set, and I have to say "one more." He says "theres a sign over there." I just start up a last set real quick ad he gets all pouty. What's worse, he brings his son with him on weekends, poor kid is bored to death. Even worse than that, sometimes he wears street shoes. I know, pretty sad.

And you left out "Rival Fan Jackass." All my shirts have team logos, so I'm flying the colors ever day, and the haters tend to flock. When it's convenient. There's a Texas guy when I wear CU, he's pretty cool actually, but there's also "Lakers fan guy." Couple-three days after the West finals end last year, he's smirking at my Nuggets shirt ... in a way I see him but he can pretend he didn't intend to be seen. So finally talk to the guy, and he's acting like he owns the team or something, "we" this, "we" that. Turns out he grew up in Oregon or something, never even been to a Lakers game in L.A. ...

Nothing on planet Earth is worse than a Lakers fan who's never lived in California, a Yankees fan who's never lived near NY, or a Cowboys fan who's never been to Texas.

azbroncfan
06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Multiple outfit guy-This guy goes to the gym with a purpose. He wants to be the hippest dude in the gym with all the latest gym attire. He usually starts out with a hoodie with half sleeves while doing curls and other arm exercises. Then it's time to take it off for a tight t shirt (usually a busy T) while doing some abs or legs. Then when it's time to do chest, back and shoulders we take that off and go down to the wife beater style A frame shirt.

hambone13
06-22-2010, 09:01 PM
The guy who's got his towel over his shoulder and cruises all over the locker room endlessly.....put the towel on jackass...

Archer81
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Anyone else have the full body shave guy? He seems normal, does whatever he is there to do, goes to shower and then proceeds to shave every hair below his neck off his body.

Is the gym the right place for that?

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I swear to god I've meant to start this thread a million times. So many classics.

Yeah I've had this in mind for awhile as well. I decided late June I'd give it a go.

Archer81
06-22-2010, 09:08 PM
The guy who's got his towel over his shoulder and cruises all over the locker room endlessly.....put the towel on jackass...

The cousin of the check out my junk guy is the hey watch me tug my junk guy. He has no towel, but decides to talk to you while handling his naughty bits. Very obnoxious.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 09:20 PM
The cousin of the check out my junk guy is the hey watch me tug my junk guy. He has no towel, but decides to talk to you while handling his naughty bits. Very obnoxious.

Dudes hitting on you, dudes shaving their entire bodies, dudes rubbing one out while you BS each other - I take it you go to a gay gym?

hambone13
06-22-2010, 09:23 PM

ROFL! Absolutely, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's so obnoxious b/c it's like he's trying to convert you to a "Meat Gazer". Like that game we use to play in jr. high where, if you can get the person to look at your fingers wrapped in a circle with some clever comment, they get to hit you.

hambone13
06-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Dudes hitting on you, dudes shaving their entire bodies, dudes rubbing one out while you BS each other - I take it you go to a gay gym?

LOL I think there's enough references to "Naked Guy" through out the thread that probably everyone has a story that the don't want to tell due to risk of being deemed a meat gazer.

Archer81
06-22-2010, 09:25 PM

No, its a normal gym in Canon. Just amazed at the homoerotic behavior in a supposedly uber-straight setting. Also have the deceptive sweaty guy who uses equipment, gives it a cursory rub down when done but when you go to use it its still soaked.

As I've said before, there is a time and place for body shaving, whacking it or walking around naked for more than 5 minutes. A gym and locker room is not one of them.

*edit* I also tend to be compartmentalized. If I am at the gym, its to work out and not pick someone up.

MplsBronco
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Anyone else have the full body shave guy? He seems normal, does whatever he is there to do, goes to shower and then proceeds to shave every hair below his neck off his body.

Is the gym the right place for that?

Thank you. The biggest reason I hated the gym is the locker room.

There is the guy who has to shave naked and rest his ball sack on the counter top.

There is the old guy who takes his gym issued towel, digs in ass, and then looks at it for god knows what.

I've seen so much nasty behavior in the locker room, its disgusting. Will never belong to a gym again.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2010, 09:30 PM
No, its a normal gym in Canon. Just amazed at the homoerotic behavior in a supposedly uber-straight setting. Also have the deceptive sweaty guy who uses equipment, gives it a cursory rub down when done but when you go to use it its still soaked.

As I've said before, there is a time and place for body shaving, whacking it or walking around naked for more than 5 minutes. A gym and locker room is not one of them.

*edit* I also tend to be compartmentalized. If I am at the gym, its to work out and not pick someone up.

Serious? I never see any of that.

Seems like some of the 30-something chicks are on the make though. In a nice way.

tsiguy96
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
solution is pretty simple here guys...go to the gym wearing your workout clothes and go home and change there.

MplsBronco
06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
How deep is your hot tub? And what are you doing that you're slipping and submerging your head with your mouth open?

You went back in? Perhaps the dirtiest thing is a public hot tub.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
solution is pretty simple here guys...go to the gym wearing your workout clothes and go home and change there.

That sounds gay.

MplsBronco
06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Buck-naked-guy-with-his-junk-on-counter-as-he-shaves is pretty damn annoying. Furthermore, he then takes the community hair dryer, which I do not use, to blow dry his junk. WTF...jeez I would like snap that guy with a towel.

Beat me to it. What the hell is wrong with people? I don't even do that at home.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I must go to a very well mannered gym ... I never see any of this stuff.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I think once I saw a guy get in the whirlpool that I think hadn't showered. Once. But he might have come from the sauna.

Archer81
06-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Serious? I never see any of that.

Seems like some of the 30-something chicks are on the make though. In a nice way.

Yup. Serious.

There is also the dude who freeballs while working out. Sure, its eye candy for me...but if the dude is working out...I dont want to lay down where some strange dude put his grody nut bag. Weirds me out.

baja
06-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Just saw this. I was kidding I rarely use a public hot tub. I have a really nice one at home. Looks across the city to the ocean It's great. Probably the thing I will miss the most when I sell this house.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2010, 09:43 PM
yup. Serious.

There is also the dude who freeballs while working out. Sure, its eye candy for me...but if the dude is working out...i dont want to lay down where some strange dude put his grody nut bag. Weirds me out.

:broncos:

Taco John
06-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Every time I get discouraged with P90x, I'm coming to this thread for a pick me up.

kappys
06-22-2010, 10:02 PM
I like eating a rich meal of Indian curry before heading into the Sauna. Just to F*** with everyone.

baja
06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I like eating a rich meal of Indian curry before heading into the Sauna. Just to **** with everyone.
Switch it up and try Kimchi some time.

Harvitz81
06-22-2010, 10:13 PM

This is why I lift chest on wednesday. Besides I do back and shoulders on monday as they are more important to me. Never have to worry about legs asa only me and one other guy does squats at all. Although on wednesday when I get around to chest, the chest and biceps guys are usually doing it as well....sigh it is pretty funny watching them do chest and biceps everyday and never seeing them do squats or deadlifts.

Kaylore
06-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Switch it up and try Kimchi some time.

Hey I love kimchi!

baja
06-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Me too.

hambone13
06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey I love kimchi!

Ditto....bring the spice and garlic.

azbroncfan
06-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Yup. Serious.

There is also the dude who freeballs while working out. Sure, its eye candy for me...but if the dude is working out...I dont want to lay down where some strange dude put his grody nut bag. Weirds me out.

That's about about enough to make a guy puke.

24champ
06-23-2010, 01:59 AM
I miss my old gym in Littleton...had all the new chit and was relatively quiet and everyone went about their business. It was great.

Now in Southern California, I go to an older gym and it's not necessarily bad but there's a couple problems. For one, it is usually jam packed. Two, seems that a lot of a-holes feel the need to spray on a gallon of cologne before they work out. Makes me very nauseous. Three, I've noticed a lot of people here running and texting on their cell phones. Just a matter of time before someone falls flat on their face and I can laugh at them.

The good thing about the current gym in Socal, is that there is plenty of motivation. Lots of beautiful women and I have met a former Bronco cheerleader at the gym as well.

Lomax
06-23-2010, 02:03 AM
#14 Equipment Lounge Lizard(s) These are the type that come in and talk about anything under the sun and moon using the exercise equipment as their lazy boy and couch making it so others have to alter their routines until they move on. Once they decide to leave they head for the showers and call it a workout.

Me and my buddy. We talked about everything: girl drama, work drama, hot chicks at the gym, sometimes taking 2 1/2 hours to do a 1 hour workout. But the gym was usually pretty empty then, don't think it was an issue for anyone. Who says the gym is just for working out?

i know i got ya, just saying that not everoyne has someone else to lift with, but they still want to get a good, intense and effective workout in. that requires stuff that isnt 100% safe without a spotter.

This reminds me of:

Spot Duty - Guy who loads up on weight on the bench, then needs a spot on the very first rep, usually insisting on doing 5 or 6 reps.

And in contrast:

Antisocial Guy - Guy who, for whatever personal reason, does not give spots to anyone. He also doesn't talk to anyone. He will typically pretend not to hear you if you ask for one. But will usually sit idly between sets after rejecting your request.

Oh and I just thought of:

Spot Her - A regular who always makes a bee line to the hottest chick in the weight room and works in with her. Then chats her up while spotting her and paws her up while correcting her form. Not an annoying guy, unless you are the girl, and you don't like getting felt up at the gym.

HILife
06-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Scream attention whore is often accompanied by screaming attention spotter - working in tandem to ensure that people look at him right before he lifts some massive weight off his chest - wouldn't want to risk people missing the whole lift.

LOL LOL LOL I see those people at the gym all the time. Every time I see them I want to walk over there and punch them in the face, then I remember they are ALOT bigger then me.

HILife
06-23-2010, 05:00 AM

Guilty. I'm so proud of myself.

tsiguy96
06-23-2010, 05:04 AM
cant be too upset at the screaming people anyway, its just what some people need to do to raise their level of intensity to really make progress in the gym.

Atwater His Ass
06-23-2010, 05:33 AM
This is just typical douchebaggery that happens at any public place where people congregate.

Never understood why it bothers anyone. Just get in, do your workout, and get out. At least people at a gym are more tolerable because they generally give a **** about their looks/health, unlike most other annoying people you run into at most public places.

ITT: Workout at home and stop crying.

hambone13
06-23-2010, 05:49 AM
This is just typical douchebaggery that happens at any public place where people congregate.

Never understood why it bothers anyone.

Because it's funny as is http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?p=147

Archer81
06-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Me and my buddy. We talked about everything: girl drama, work drama, hot chicks at the gym, sometimes taking 2 1/2 hours to do a 1 hour workout. But the gym was usually pretty empty then, don't think it was an issue for anyone. Who says the gym is just for working out?

This reminds me of:

Spot Duty - Guy who loads up on weight on the bench, then needs a spot on the very first rep, usually insisting on doing 5 or 6 reps.

And in contrast:

Antisocial Guy - Guy who, for whatever personal reason, does not give spots to anyone. He also doesn't talk to anyone. He will typically pretend not to hear you if you ask for one. But will usually sit idly between sets after rejecting your request.

Oh and I just thought of:

Spot Her - A regular who always makes a bee line to the hottest chick in the weight room and works in with her. Then chats her up while spotting her and paws her up while correcting her form. Not an annoying guy, unless you are the girl, and you don't like getting felt up at the gym.

The gym is the hair salon for men.

bowtown
06-23-2010, 06:26 AM

This is me, kind of. I am happy to give a spot, but I HATE talking to people at the gym. I'm not there to have a conversation. There are a lot of other places I'd rather hang out than the gym. I don't really enjoy working out, so the faster I can get it done the better. STFU.

mr007
06-23-2010, 07:08 AM
cant be too upset at the screaming people anyway, its just what some people need to do to raise their level of intensity to really make progress in the gym.

I think that's pretty ridiculous. If I can hear someone yelling through my headphones, it's not necessary. You can be completely intense without sounding like you're taking the biggest dump of your life or giving birth.

meangene
06-23-2010, 07:45 AM
I live in southeast Virginia where virtually everyone who works out with any intensity is guilty of being the "sweaty drip drip guy or girl" for at least five months of the year. May thru September we routinely experience temps in the 90's with humidity about the same. Heat indexes are typically over 100 degrees. No matter how much a gym runs the a/c, there is no way to keep the temps and humidity down. A couple of sets and I am usually dripping and you can forget about it staying dry during any cardio - there will be a puddle around you when you are done. For the most part, folks are aware of the situation and carry a towel around to wipe themselves off and the gym has antibacterial spray bottles with paper towel dispensers throughout for people to wipe down the equipment. Also, there is a full-time cleaning crew which is constantly mopping, dusting and wiping down the place. I run outside all year round and it literally looks like I took a shower in my running clothes after a long run in the spring and summer. I guess it's just a way of life here.

I also think it's why folks, for the most part, don't shower or change at the gym. All that heat and humidity makes locker rooms even more of a breeding ground for bacteria and airborne illnesses than they are normally. Plus, why take a shower and change when you are still sweating and still will be when you are done? Really, unless someone has to shower and / or change at the gym due to time / distance constraints, I don't see why anyone would want to. In addition to the health issues, who wants to see all the things discussed already in the thread? The only time you should be naked in the locker room is when you are changing or in the shower. Nudity when walking around, shaving, blow-drying or carrying on conversations is just uncalled for.

One thing I have not seen mentioned that is particularly annoying to me is the "group workout guys". You know, the ones who work out in groups of three or more typically occupying one or more pieces of equipment for lengthy periods of time. I'm sorry, more than two people working out together is too many. You can't even work in with these folks. Just plain rude. Or how about the guys who put their towels, water bottles, phones, notebooks, etc. on a piece of equipment while using another? Wtf are people thinking?

azbroncfan
06-23-2010, 07:54 AM
I think that's pretty ridiculous. If I can hear someone yelling through my headphones, it's not necessary. You can be completely intense without sounding like you're taking the biggest dump of your life or giving birth.

Don't worry TSI is your expert affliction wearing gym guy. I'll bet he is half of the guys on Kaylore's list. :poke:

bowtown
06-23-2010, 08:01 AM
One thing I have not seen mentioned that is particularly annoying to me is the "group workout guys". You know, the ones who work out in groups of three or more typically occupying one or more pieces of equipment for lengthy periods of time. I'm sorry, more than two people working out together is too many.

I work in downtown New York, and go to a gym on Wall Street so I get a lot of this. Slimeball boiler room guys in packs, all working out together and talking about one of three things:

1. The guy on their desk who is not "pulling his weight" and who they all think is a real loser. They like to make fun of his clothing.

2. The hot ass girl on their desk or down the hall, with the tight ass, and who they would all like to "face bang."

3. Stupid trade talk to make them sound important and one up each other.

That's why I work out in the morning now, most of those guys have to be at work early so they come in droves in the afternoon.

baja
06-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Great thread idea Kaylore....

baja
06-23-2010, 08:06 AM
How much does your gym membership cost

Here I would have to pay at least 800 pesos or about 64 dollars a month.

Los Broncos
06-23-2010, 08:15 AM
I miss my old gym in Littleton...had all the new chit and was relatively quiet and everyone went about their business. It was great.

Now in Southern California, I go to an older gym and it's not necessarily bad but there's a couple problems. For one, it is usually jam packed. Two, seems that a lot of a-holes feel the need to spray on a gallon of cologne before they work out. Makes me very nauseous. Three, I've noticed a lot of people here running and texting on their cell phones. Just a matter of time before someone falls flat on their face and I can laugh at them.

The good thing about the current gym in Socal, is that there is plenty of motivation. Lots of beautiful women and I have met a former Bronco cheerleader at the gym as well.

Same here, see it a lot.

Some day someone will eat it big time.

meangene
06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I work in downtown New York, and go to a gym on Wall Street so I get a lot of this. Slimeball boiler room guys in packs, all working out together and talking about one of three things:

1. The guy on their desk who is not "pulling his weight" and who they all think is a real loser. They like to make fun of his clothing.

2. The hot ass girl on their desk or down the hall, with the tight ass, and who they would all like to "face bang."

3. Stupid trade talk to make them sound important and one up each other.

That's why I work out in the morning now, most of those guys have to be at work early so they come in droves in the afternoon.

I usually see a bunch of guys lifting way more weight than they can handle with absolutely no semblance of proper form in order to try to impress each other. That, and a lot of looking at themselves in the mirror between sets.

azbroncfan
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
How much does your gym membership cost

Here I would have to pay at least 800 pesos or about 64 dollars a month.

20 bucks a month for gold's and 29 for a month to month in Fresno where I am on reserve.

Kaylore
06-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Never understood why it bothers anyone. Just get in, do your workout, and get out. At least people at a gym are more tolerable because they generally give a **** about their looks/health, unlike most other annoying people you run into at most public places.

ITT: Workout at home and stop crying.

You completely missed the point of the thread.

No one here is saying they hate the gym and all it's participants. Nor is anyone whimpering saying these characters are so hard to handle they don't know what to do with themselves. Most gym goers are normal people and with a few mentioned exceptions, these characters are guys that show up now and again that everyone laughs it.

This is no different than a thread about family members where everyone has "that crazy uncle" or the drunk aunt or what have you. It doesn't mean they hate their family. It's a topic on a message board in late June designed to liven things up.

Try not to take it too seriously.

I don't believe that really helps anything except maybe tenses you up which can negatively affect performance. I get the "do what works for you" thing, but screaming in a bloody murder in a crowded gym isn't cool.

BMF Bronco
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Great Thread K!

What about the "I have all the endurance building equipment MMA guys use, so I am going to walk around the gym wearing it so people will stare at me but not actually exercise" guy.

I, too, am the dance to my iPod while working out.

Lomax
06-23-2010, 09:38 AM

For regulars, yeah. Some folks work out 2-4 hours, same time every day. Hard to be anywhere that much and not talk to anyone. When you get to know the regs it can be a pretty interesting place.

Stay Puft: Big guy with lots of flab and no definition, who wears muscle shirts and tucks his belly into his workout belt, which is two notches too tight to make his lats look big. Works out with the muscle guys and clearly is trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Archer81
06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Realizing most of you have never been to a gay gym, but when I was in Pittsburgh I went to one for about a month (I was 17) and got creeped out by the old pervs, but I noticed very cliqueish behavior. Depending on the type of gay the dude was, that was the group he tended to work out with. Highly interesting.

tsiguy96
06-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't believe that really helps anything except maybe tenses you up which can negatively affect performance. I get the "do what works for you" thing, but screaming in a bloody murder in a crowded gym isn't cool.

depends on the person. some people do it on every heavy set because they are giving it their all. ive seen some of the best players in college football scream when lifting, others dont. in a crowded gym while repping 135, no. when you are squatting 500+, yes, i think being loud is ok if thats what it takes for you to lift the weight.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Nailed this. Its a place for men to comment on each others bodies, tattoos, and footwear. I get bothered about 2 of the three more than i care for.

baja
06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Nailed this. Its a place for men to comment on each others bodies, tattoos, and footwear. I get bothered about 2 of the three more than i care for.

So what you got bad shoes or a skinny ass body? ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
So what you got bad shoes or a skinny ass body? ;D

What are you spying on me:)? I usually run back and forth to the gym and since i've embraced the barefoot movement, i have vibrams, which people ask questions about constantly cuz they are ass ugly. One dude once commented on how my abs were coming in, and i often get questions about my tattoos. Its pretty annoying, im anti social at the gym unless i see a friend.

TheReverend
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
depends on the person. some people do it on every heavy set because they are giving it their all. ive seen some of the best players in college football scream when lifting, others dont. in a crowded gym while repping 135, no. when you are squatting 500+, yes, i think being loud is ok if thats what it takes for you to lift the weight.

While personally my knees will NEVER EVER allow me to approach 500 squatting, I've had many, many friends put that up. And while weight that bends the bar around your neck definitely squeezes noise out, the screaming is far from necessary, imo.

I will definitely agree that to each their own and it doesn't bother me at all if someone is doing something that truly elicits a high effort.

T-nation has a program called I-Bodybuilder for a "new brand of hypertrophy" that's actually pretty awesome. I never make noise outside of mild grunts breathing out on really heavy weight, but I do it on every max effort rep in that program.

tsiguy96
06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
While personally my knees will NEVER EVER allow me to approach 500 squatting, I've had many, many friends put that up. And while weight that bends the bar around your neck definitely squeezes noise out, the screaming is far from necessary, imo.

I will definitely agree that to each their own and it doesn't bother me at all if someone is doing something that truly elicits a high effort.

T-nation has a program called I-Bodybuilder for a "new brand of hypertrophy" that's actually pretty awesome. I never make noise outside of mild grunts breathing out on really heavy weight, but I do it on every max effort rep in that program.

problem with some t-nation stuff like that is its very hard to decipher fact from sales marketing fiction. they push biotest a LOT, and theres nothing wrong wiht that, but still makes some of the articles on the site questionable. still a great site though.

uplink
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I think I annoyed this chick last week. She was doing some curls on a bench in a tight outfit and from a the opposite side of the gym I looked at her reflection for a few seconds in a mirror. She moved to another spot doing the same exercise right after.

Seems to me South American women like it when men look at them and appreciate the time they spend to look pretty but here in the U.S. and many other places it seems you are almost committing a crime sometimes

baja
06-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I think I annoyed this chick last week. She was doing some curls on a bench in a tight outfit and from a the opposite side of the gym I looked at her reflection for a few seconds in a mirror. She moved to another spot doing the same exercise right after.

Seems to me South American women like it when men look at them and appreciate the time they spend to look pretty but here in the U.S. and many other places it seems you are almost committing a crime sometimes

Most of the people I know from around the world think this about American women. More trouble than they are worth is the common take.

They and I like women that don't think that because they had sex with you you now owe them something more than common respect.

bronco_diesel
06-23-2010, 12:04 PM

I think you have been more than helpful in spotting. Maybe you can offer to spot him inbetween your sets or rests.

bronco_diesel
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I have the luxury of working out in a small local gym. Typically there is 1 maybe 2 other people in there. Often times I am the only person. It's pretty nice.

That said, when I venture out to other gyms, I have noticed the following:

- talking on the cell phone guy. literally talking on the phone during the entire workout while doing some weak ab workout.

- farts with heavy load guy. yes, i am guilty. it's embarrassing.

I may have been guilty of "your doing it wrong" but that was at a time when a young kid was in doing dead lifts. he was bound to hurt his back with his form so I offered a tip. otherwise I don't go there.

gyldenlove
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I have the luxury of working out at my school gym which is pretty well equipped, free and stocked with female talent in that very lovely 19-24 age range.

OCBronco
06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
What about the men and women who spend an hour on the leg adductor/abductor machines? Is there a more useless piece of equipment in the gym?

I wouldn't count them as annoying... more amusing, I guess.

tsiguy96
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
What about the men and women who spend an hour on the leg adductor/abductor machines? Is there a more useless piece of equipment in the gym?

I wouldn't count them as annoying... more amusing, I guess.

for people trying to make their legs smaller by making the underlying muscles bigger, yes they are worthless. for people trying to prevent hip and knee pain, they have their place :thumbs:

TheReverend
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
problem with some t-nation stuff like that is its very hard to decipher fact from sales marketing fiction. they push biotest a LOT, and theres nothing wrong wiht that, but still makes some of the articles on the site questionable. still a great site though.

yes they do

Edit: This comes off as confusing, so to clarify: I'm agreeing with Tsiguy not arguing.

Ambiguous
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM

I turn my music up so loud I can't even come close to hearing it, so I don't really care what people need to do. I guess I'm that turn music up too loud guy, I don't see how anyone could get annoyed by this, or even really tell on iPod earbuds. Anyway, it's as loud as it will go.

One thing I do need is loud, angry music when lifting. This is not optional - if I have to listen to the techno pop-40 hybrid crap that 24 Hr plays, heads will roll.

Ambiguous
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
for people trying to make their legs smaller by making the underlying muscles bigger, yes they are worthless. for people trying to prevent hip and knee pain, they have their place :thumbs:

This always is amusing, since you generally see girls with huge hips trying to "tone" on these things. Awesome, you are going to get the exact oppposite result.

OCBronco
06-23-2010, 02:00 PM

Agreed that the machine has its purpose. That said, I'm willing to bet that at least 90% of the people I see who spend that much time on the machine aren't doing it for functional reasons.

OCBronco
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I turn my music up so loud I can't even come close to hearing it, so I don't really care what people need to do. I guess I'm that turn music up too loud guy, I don't see how anyone could get annoyed by this, or even really tell on iPod earbuds. Anyway, it's as loud as it will go.

One thing I do need is loud, angry music when lifting. This is not optional - if I have to listen to the techno pop-40 hybrid crap that 24 Hr plays, heads will roll.

One of the things that led me to stop working out at the gym here at the University: for the longest time, they had someone who selected the saddest, mopey, slow R&B love/break up songs. Think Sarah McLaughlin, sad Rhianna songs. Crap like that. One after the other. Talk about a momentum breaker.

Dance music seems like Valhalla after a day in a gym like that.

Ray Finkle
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
can honestly say I am non of them.....My time as a manager at a gym allowed me to openly mock those types and not become one...

Ambiguous
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
One of the things that led me to stop working out at the gym here at the University: for the longest time, they had someone who selected the saddest, mopey, slow R&B love/break up songs. Think Sarah McLaughlin, sad Rhianna songs. Crap like that. One after the other. Talk about a momentum breaker.

Dance music seems like Valhalla after a day in a gym like that.

It's top 40 crap, think Kelly Clarkson or lady gaga put to a techno beat. If you can find anything worse than that let me know.

mr007
06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
It's top 40 crap, think Kelly Clarkson or lady gaga put to a techno beat. If you can find anything worse than that let me know.

That's why I use an ipod... then again, it does have lady gaga on it.

Kaylore
06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
That's why I use an ipod... then again, it does have lady gaga on it.

That's funny. I listen to Pandora on my phone and I have these head phones that have an air seal which blocks the outside noise quite well. Poor man's noise canceling head phones. I tend to listen to trance techno when I work out. No lady GaGa, though.

gtown
06-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Glad the Italians are out of the world cup. Now the guidos at my gym can put their Italian soccer team track suits back in the closet. They can now resume their regularly scheduled Affliction t-shirts, muscle milk, and cell phone talk with seven minutes between each set on the bench press.

baja
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
That's funny. I listen to Pandora on my phone and I have these head phones that have an air seal which blocks the outside noise quite well. Poor man's noise canceling head phones. I tend to listen to trance techno when I work out. No lady GaGa, though.

I am soo pissed that I can't get Pandora in Mexico. I even had paid for the premium service when in SD last year

baja
06-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Maybe I show look for new music Enya is making we gain weight.

Kaylore
06-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe I show look for new music Enya is making we gain weight.

First, Enya is awesome.

Second, how can you not get Pandora in Mexico? It's on the internet so you can get it from any country that has web access...

baja
06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
First, Enya is awesome.

Second, how can you not get Pandora in Mexico? It's on the internet so you can get it from any country that has web access...

they say they are only licensed in the USA. I sent an email and they said they were working on acquiring the licensing.

And yes Enya is awesome.

BTW there are tons of web sites blocked because of licensing

I could not get KOA 850 for years now I can

In Kuwait you can't even get YouTube

broncswin
06-24-2010, 11:14 AM
dont go to the gym...have a nice set up at home...but I used to be in the wieght room alot...there was nothing better than to watch a guy put up crushing numbers in the wieght room, only to look like total garbage on the football field. lol

Chris
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Do you hate small calf guy? Because that's me. I hate tree trunks that turn into tent poles. Don't hate I'm cursed. Doesn't matter how much I lift or how often. Small calf guy lives on.

baja
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in Mexico (your IP address appears to be 189.xxx.xx.xxxx). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergren
Founder

TheReverend
06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Do you hate small calf guy? Because that's me. I hate tree trunks that turn into tent poles. Don't hate I'm cursed. Doesn't matter how much I lift or how often. Small calf guy lives on.

Lol, do you have high arches? Because I do and I have the same issue and I THINK that's why.

bowtown
06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
they say they are only licensed in the USA. I sent an email and they said they were working on acquiring the licensing.

And yes Enya is awesome.

BTW there are tons of web sites blocked because of licensing

I could not get KOA 850 for years now I can

In Kuwait you can't even get YouTube

You should be using last.fm anyway. You should be able to get it in Mexico and I like it better than Pandora.

http://www.last.fm/

bowtown
06-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Lol, do you have high arches? Because I do and I have the same issue and I THINK that's why.

I have knee destorying high arches, and my calves are as big as three babies stacked end to end. You need to spend more time on your toes.

Chris
06-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Yes. Want the technical answer? I think it's more to do with the fact that I lose the mind body connection with my core every 6 days (have to work it out with serious calisthenics to get it back) which causes my posture to go from being a straight line to slightly S-shaped so weight is placed on my lower back rather than through my core down to my calves. As a result my calves don't get any of the every day work people with perfect posture have. You wouldn't notice unless you looked at me from the side like a creepo.

It's a blessing and a curse... because it means I'll be doing calisthenics for the rest of my life just to hold posture.

Additionally, it's in my genes to be the human equivalent of a gazelle and calves are hard as hell to develop.

Kaylore
06-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Don't mistake "genetically small calf guy" for "I only lift arms and chest" guy. I never hate someone for the way their body is. I don't even hate cartoon guy, I just think he's funny.

tsiguy96
06-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Don't mistake "genetically small calf guy" for "I only lift arms and chest" guy. I never hate someone for the way their body is. I don't even hate cartoon guy, I just think he's funny.

http://www.askmen.com/dating/love_tip/41b_love_tip.html

a good upper body is a good thing, but women do notice if you look like johnny bravo, and for most its not extremely attractive.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/JohnnyBravo3.gif

ghwk
06-24-2010, 04:32 PM
You guys have destroyed this thread.

Archer81
06-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes. Want the technical answer? I think it's more to do with the fact that I lose the mind body connection with my core every 6 days (have to work it out with serious calisthenics to get it back) which causes my posture to go from being a straight line to slightly S-shaped so weight is placed on my lower back rather than through my core down to my calves. As a result my calves don't get any of the every day work people with perfect posture have. You wouldn't notice unless you looked at me from the side like a creepo.

It's a blessing and a curse... because it means I'll be doing calisthenics for the rest of my life just to hold posture.

Additionally, it's in my genes to be the human equivalent of a gazelle and calves are hard as hell to develop.

Huh. My calves are awesome. Sorry you have lil baby calves.

Ambiguous
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
You guys have destroyed this thread.

Should I post shirtless pics?

TheReverend
06-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Should I post shirtless pics?

Me first.

Ambiguous
06-24-2010, 05:17 PM

elsid13
06-24-2010, 06:05 PM
I would like to add Fat women to the thread. They seem to waddle to the cardio machines when you need them for either a warm-up or cool down and general get in the ****ing way. But they are not as bad as old fat woman who's an immobile mass that also has to express her opinion on everyone in the gym.

baja
06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
I would like to add Fat women to the thread. They seem to waddle to the cardio machines when you need them for either a warm-up or cool down and general get in the ****ing way. But they are not as bad as old fat woman who's an immobile mass that also has to express her opinion on everyone in the gym.

and they smell like ass

elsid13
06-24-2010, 06:49 PM
and they smell like ass

Well there are some (cough Spider cough) that like that smell.

broncswin
06-24-2010, 07:33 PM
strechy pants on big girls..or any guy for that matter...nuff said

Chris
06-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Huh. My calves are awesome. Sorry you have lil baby calves.

Shutup or I'll eat your dinner

Chris
06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
The trick for me is to start a renaissance for the 80s short short. If we can get shorts down to 5 inches it'll make the ladies forget about my beanpoles and focus on my buttress roots.

COME ON guys let's start it here! Who's with me??????

Blart?

Archer81
06-24-2010, 07:45 PM
The trick for me is to start a renaissance for the 80s short short. If we can get shorts down to 5 inches it'll make the ladies forget about my beanpoles and focus on my buttress roots.

Blart?

Not everyone has the thighs/ass/crotch combo to carry off the short shorts look. Also, you would need to ensure they tan. Thighs can be a pale mofo.

Or you could always go back to the greek and roman use of gyms, and have everyone work out nude.

baja
06-24-2010, 07:46 PM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/oldies_speedo.jpg

baja
06-24-2010, 07:49 PM
http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/65/20/hariy-man-wearing-speedos-or-budgee-smugglers-and-1-4.0.0.0x0.400x533.jpeg

bowtown
06-24-2010, 07:54 PM
http://beerinfood.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/extreme_muscle_man1.jpg

This is after about a week off. Usually I'm bigger.

Archer81
06-24-2010, 08:06 PM
You all forced me to do this...

http://tinyurl.com/253brm6

azbroncfan
06-24-2010, 11:23 PM

You need to run more. That will build up those puny calves in a hurry and won't require any gym work especially if you do hills.

azbroncfan
06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.askmen.com/dating/love_tip/41b_love_tip.html

a good upper body is a good thing, but women do notice if you look like johnny bravo, and for most its not extremely attractive.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/JohnnyBravo3.gif
Ahh this is coming from the guy that was wondering what some cool affliction shirts were for spring break? Now he is an expert in getting pussy?

hambone13
06-25-2010, 12:37 AM
You need to run more. That will build up those puny calves in a hurry and won't require any gym work especially if you do hills.

Calves are just one of those body parts you can't make bigger w/o a hefty body part pump. I have the same genetic calves but my barrel chest and back are admired by all that have exploding calves.

tsiguy96
06-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Ahh this is coming from the guy that was wondering what some cool affliction shirts were for spring break? Now he is an expert in getting p***Y?

its funny how you keep saying that in basically every thread you ever respond to. i have my degree in exercise science and am going to graduate school for it, what are your qualifications to be posting in a thread about the gym, or more specifically to discuss anything personal training related? dont you think in the 5 years ive been taking classes related to anatomy, training methods, personal training class, biomechanics or other related classes, that at some point with some teacher the discussion of what people like in other people came up?

dumbass.

HILife
06-25-2010, 04:45 AM

Blart?

pass

elsid13
06-25-2010, 05:00 AM

I would recommend plyometric training over running. It will work the calves better then running.

kamakazi_kal
06-25-2010, 06:31 AM
I can't stand the "tapout" "affliction" wearing tough guys. its just plain gay when shadow box in between sets.

So you want to learn martial arts ....... go take some real classes. A tee shirt, hard stance and some air punches after 1 rep of 225 on the bench don't make you a badass mma warrior.

kamakazi_kal
06-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Or the hot girl wearing all the tight gear and has fake tits that gets mad when she gets attention for it.

the "i'm hot and wearing revealing S**** but don't you dare look at me." chick

Ray Finkle
06-25-2010, 06:42 AM
I would recommend plyometric training over running. It will work the calves better then running.

really it helps to do the two together....plyo before and and after as a cool down.

Calves are really hard. It's 50% hard work 50% genetics....

meangene
06-25-2010, 07:47 AM

Totally agree on the hill running. I vary the trails I run depending on upcoming races. When I am doing a lot of hilly trails, there are noticeable increases in the size of my legs, including calves. Also, when lifting calves, you have to do high reps to get any growth. Seems like that would be contrary to most of what we think of in order to gain size but calves are unique in that way. Also, you need to get full extension on the reps.

Ugly Duck
06-25-2010, 08:43 AM
The perv got my vote... the guy who doesn't work out but takes hour-long showers to leer at the others in the shower with a twisted grin on his face. (Sausalito, CA)

Chris
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I live in NYC. It's extremely flat. Guess I'll have to do this on the treadmill.

Define plyometrics for calves.

baja
06-25-2010, 10:23 AM
I live in NYC. It's extremely flat. Guess I'll have to do this on the treadmill.

Every building has stairs - run them. Gezzz!

Popps
06-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Anyone mention "sunglasses at the gym guy?"

Could be an LA thing. Classic.

Chris
06-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Every building has stairs - run them. Gezzz!

I live in a 100 year old building made of cardboard. Neighbours wouldn't appreciate it.

bowtown
06-25-2010, 10:57 AM

Both Central and Prospect Parks have some great hills.

Irish Stout
06-25-2010, 11:01 AM
I live in a 100 year old building made of cardboard. Neighbours wouldn't appreciate it.

Find a high school stadium or a building that you can access with stairs. Running stairs and running on the beach are two of the best work outs you can do for your calves.

24champ
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Anyone mention "sunglasses at the gym guy?"

Could be an LA thing. Classic.

Noticed that too around here. :rofl:

baja
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Aren't there any other tall buildings in NYC.

Chris
06-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Fear not friends. I have found my building

http://www.civil.usherbrooke.ca/cours/gci215a/empire-state-building.jpg

Actually running on the beach was one of the first things I ever learned about. Haven't done much of it though. Will make an effort but what about my speedo chafing? I hear the mankini is better for this?

baja
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Fear not friends. I have found my building

http://www.civil.usherbrooke.ca/cours/gci215a/empire-state-building.jpg

Actually running on the beach was one of the first things I ever learned about. Haven't done much of it though. Will make an effort but what about my speedo chafing? I hear the mankini is better for this?

Just make sure you run bare foot. It's a huge upgrade.

Popps
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
10. Cheater: I know, just ripped on “you’re doing it wrong guy” but you can feel that temptation when you see cheater. Cheater thinks he’s awesome at lifting because he can do a ton of reps. The thing is he barely does them at all, usually sort of grunting and swinging his arms around. When he benches, his solar plexus is a springboard for the bar, vaulting it six inches in the air. His curls consist of swinging his arms back and forth like Donkey Kong. Lat pull downs are him humping the cross bar between his leg and leaning back like he’s waterskiing. You don’t say anything, but he sure could use some urine in the eye when you see him finish his “set” and he smirks at your weight sizes.

Also known as "The Swinger."

I see ****ers swinging weights like they're about to hoist a shotput or something. I can't imagine some of the injuries that are heading these guys' way. The one that makes me cringe most is the dumbbell shoulder-fly cheat.
(Just standing there and raising each dumbbell in front of you up to chin-level.) Well, these dudes are swinging them... and WAY above chin-level. (Which is a big no-no.) I swear to god they could drop it on their own head if they lose their grip.

Hilarious!

azbroncfan
06-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Now your picking pepper out of fly ****. Best way to build strong legs is to use them. Running, hiking, biking will all build them and cut them up plus your muscles will balance out. Plyo's work too but just tell us how much better they work. You really can't measure it but I do know running hills will build super strong legs and calves. Makes you run faster jump higher etc. There was a reason that Karl Malone and Jerry Rice made the workouts famous.

Chris
06-26-2010, 09:02 AM
I want to get those booties that fit your foot. Apparently we all run on our soles too much because of the cushioning shoes provide us. That said, my cousin does Iron Mans and he broke his foot wearing one of those shoes.

My buttress roots are strong so it's just the calves that need work. For a 175 pound guy I can squat 225 x 8 times on my last set (proper form and going deep *PAUSE*) and I have good endurance.

baja
06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
I want to get those booties that fit your foot. Apparently we all run on our soles too much because of the cushioning shoes provide us. That said, my cousin does Iron Mans and he broke his foot wearing one of those shoes.

My buttress roots are strong so it's just the calves that need work. For a 175 pound guy I can squat 225 x 8 times on my last set (proper form and going deep *PAUSE*) and I have good endurance.

I have a pair they are called Five Fingers;

http://www.cogmap.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/vibram-five-fingers.jpg

They are amazing but if you run on the beach you are still better bare foot because of the EMF shunt to ground which the vibram interrupts.

steeledude
06-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I see a big omission on the initial list.

Mr. I'm Better Than the Rest Of You:

You know this douche, not by his performance in the gym, but by the way he acts after he leaves the gym. This is the pasty white guy who weighs about 90 pounds and has adopted a five day a week workout program that has consisted of the same 25 pound dumb bells on the bench press. You might notice him in the gym, walking smugly taking the time to ridicule how everyone else is wrong in what they're doing, though if he spent more time focusing on his workout instead of hating everything he might break the 100 pound mark. You can also pick him out by his dated style of clothing which consists of white reebok high tops with grass stains on the fronts, cut off sweats, and an old faded out Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn T-shirt. He might also being wearing those glasses that are a mix of regular glasses and sunglasses, which will be rubberbanded to his head with a rubber cord.

He sits on the same machine for 10 minutes like it's going to hatch, then gets angry when other people are on his next machine.

Once a friendly gym patron tried to help him out and suggested he graduate up to free weights, but this guy laughed in his face. Thus he remains, on his leg press machine, glowering at all the men surrounding him, masking insecurity with anger. It's really a form of deviant psychosis which if you told him he suffered from, he'd just add you to his list of douches.

steeledude
06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I come off as a #2... but its only grunting and thats only cuz I am going for max effort.

I can also do the whole #3 at times - but its usually cuz I am dealing with a #4. Often times I am working out for time and it would totally mess up my work out to wait 5 minutes til they finish up their last set, which will consist of 20 seconds of lifting and 4:40 of resting. But part of that is the damn gym. They got 5000 machines in the freakin' place and only one rack for dips. And the only place for pull ups is on the handles in the universal.

I think unspoken gym rules have always said share the equipment, don't sit on it. I get annoyed when someone tries to work in with me, but I acknowledge I'm the one being a douche.

Chris
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I think unspoken gym rules have always said share the equipment, don't sit on it. I get annoyed when someone tries to work in with me, but I acknowledge I'm the one being a douche.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with working in.

rmsanger
06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I have a couple to add:

The punk teenager/20 something in jeans guy... Usually works out in packs of threes and more than likely is Mexican or wannabe Eminem.

The multiple machine guy.. He usually likes to occupy multiple machines at a time and won't let you work in. Typically during rush hour 5:30-6:30 on a Monday/Tuesday evening and in high demand areas for the equipment.

Mr. Gallon jug carrying guy, totes this jug every station he goes to so his creatine makes him "swole".

Ms. I like to workout for 20 min and hangout at the Protein shake bar for 1 hour

Treadmill walkers... Those people that do like an hour + @ 3.0 and maybe a 1.5 incline but don't break a sweat. I want to pull their plugs and yell at them to walk outside then.

OCBronco
06-28-2010, 02:40 AM
I have a couple to add:

The punk teenager/20 something in jeans guy... Usually works out in packs of threes and more than likely is Mexican or wannabe Eminem.

The multiple machine guy.. He usually likes to occupy multiple machines at a time and won't let you work in. Typically during rush hour 5:30-6:30 on a Monday/Tuesday evening and in high demand areas for the equipment.

Mr. Gallon jug carrying guy, totes this jug every station he goes to so his creatine makes him "swole".

Ms. I like to workout for 20 min and hangout at the Protein shake bar for 1 hour

Treadmill walkers... Those people that do like an hour + @ 3.0 and maybe a 1.5 incline but don't break a sweat. I want to pull their plugs and yell at them to walk outside then.

Amen to that. And these same people wonder why their cardio workouts seem to be so ineffective. "I know... I'll just go even *longer* next time."

Same goes for the people who plod on the stairmaster, as well.

Chris
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
What's up with huge dudes that wear the same white wife beater and baby blue basketball shorts? There is one of them in every gym.

meangene
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
What's up with huge dudes that wear the same white wife beater and baby blue basketball shorts? There is one of them in every gym.

We have this dude at my gym who looks like he used to be a power-lifter who just got fat. Older guy, bald, big belly. Anyway, he wears the same sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off and the shirt cut off right above the belly. And, he wears the same ratty, worn sweat pants, sitting low below his dingy white jockeys. Truly disturbing. Everybody looks at him with this expression of WTF?

azbroncfan
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
We have this dude at my gym who looks like he used to be a power-lifter who just got fat. Older guy, bald, big belly. Anyway, he wears the same sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off and the shirt cut off right above the belly. And, he wears the same ratty, worn sweat pants, sitting low below his dingy white jockeys. Truly disturbing. Everybody looks at him with this expression of WTF?

Yes old steroid meathead that thinks he still has got it. Anyone who wears the cut off sweatshirt is a tool for that matter.

Los Broncos
06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Or how about "dressed in your favorite football teams training camp gear guy"

Dude is pumping iron like he's on the team, Steeler, Chargers and Raiders are popular at my gym.

gyldenlove
06-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes old steroid meathead that thinks he still has got it. Anyone who wears the cut off sweatshirt is a tool for that matter.

Cut off sleeves are a sure sign of douchebaggery.

gyldenlove
06-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Agreed. There is nothing wrong with working in.

Amen, but asking if you can work in while people are midrep should be punishable by a swift kick to the crotch.

azbroncfan
06-28-2010, 10:57 AM

How about the cutout neck and cutoff bottom to go along with it?

SonOfLe-loLang
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I have a pair they are called Five Fingers;

http://www.cogmap.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/vibram-five-fingers.jpg

They are amazing but if you run on the beach you are still better bare foot because of the EMF shunt to ground which the vibram interrupts.

I have a pair of these and have been running in them exclusively for the last 6-8 months. Its a great run and my knees and ankles no longer hurt after long runs. if you do buy them, take it easy your first couple of runs or you will rip your calves apart

Kaylore
06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I have a pair of these and have been running in them exclusively for the last 6-8 months. Its a great run and my knees and ankles no longer hurt after long runs. if you do buy them, take it easy your first couple of runs or you will rip your calves apart

I saw a dude wearing these at a party two days ago and I thought they looked completely ridiculous (see toe socks) but he insists they are good for running. I am a person who has worn running shoes exclusively for years. Are they really much better?

kamakazi_kal
06-28-2010, 12:49 PM

see ..... bill belicheck.

rmsanger
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Or how about the couple that always wears matching warmups or other name brand gear. Typically a navy blue/white or something with NC blue or baby yellow.