PDA

View Full Version : Annoying people at the gym

Pages : 1 [2]

baja
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I saw a dude wearing these at a party two days ago and I thought they looked completely ridiculous (see toe socks) but he insists they are good for running. I am a person who has worn running shoes exclusively for years. Are they really much better?

YES they change how your foot moves there is really no wsay to describe the feel. Good luck finding a pair though they can make then fast enough. REI is your best bet but they were 2 months back ordered in San Diego in May.

tsiguy96
06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
the more azbronco posts in this thread about stuff he hates at the gym, the more i realize that he DOESNT go to the gym. hes that guy that thinks hes too cool and everyone at the gym are dbags, so he just stays at home like a cool guy.

azbroncfan
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
the more azbronco posts in this thread about stuff he hates at the gym, the more i realize that he DOESNT go to the gym. hes that guy that thinks hes too cool and everyone at the gym are dbags, so he just stays at home like a cool guy.

Ha ha dude, your right I only go once to twice a week and spend more time on my bike, swimming or running. I got an offer for you, why don't you sign up for the mountainman half ironman in flagstaff and the loser between me and you will pay for a full ironman next summer? Deal? You should have no problem since your the board fitness expert. You get all but hurt because you fit multiple profiles that everyone thinks are dumbf#cks at the gym. Your the only one who didn't agree with a profile I posted plus wouldn't I have to go to a gym to see them?

You can even wear this shirt with your awesome comment.tap out sucks, some affliction shirts are tight. i just got this one:http://c1.nemimage.com/Neweggmall/Pr...02951500-1.jpg

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77406 that thread shows the type of sheep that you are.

tsiguy96
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Ha ha dude, your right I only go once to twice a week and spend more time on my bike, swimming or running. I got an offer for you, why don't you sign up for the mountainman half ironman in flagstaff and the loser between me and you will pay for a full ironman next summer? Deal? You should have no problem since your the board fitness expert. You get all but hurt because you fit multiple profiles that everyone thinks are dumbf#cks at the gym. Your the only one who didn't agree with a profile I posted plus wouldn't I have to go to a gym to see them?

You can even wear this shirt with your awesome comment.tap out sucks, some affliction shirts are tight. i just got this one:http://c1.nemimage.com/Neweggmall/Pr...02951500-1.jpg

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77406 that thread shows the type of sheep that you are.

so you are gonna challenge me to something you are specifically good at, thats smart, why dont i challenge you to about 20 things im good at and will clearly beat you at, maybe my e-dick will grow about 4 or 5 inches because of it. sound good? genius.

azbroncfan
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
so you are gonna challenge me to something you are specifically good at, thats smart, why dont i challenge you to about 20 things im good at and will clearly beat you at, maybe my e-dick will grow about 4 or 5 inches because of it. sound good? genius.

I never said I was good at it just bet I could beat a fitness expert like you. You can even wear your cutoff afflicition hoody sweatshirt before the swim. It will be cold in the morning. BTW show me where someone else disagreed with a gym profile I posted that proves I don't work out and get fat on the couch? You get all butthurt because since you are the guy in the profiles you don't notice any of them.

Irish Stout
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I saw a dude wearing these at a party two days ago and I thought they looked completely ridiculous (see toe socks) but he insists they are good for running. I am a person who has worn running shoes exclusively for years. Are they really much better?

I got the Nike Free shoes that claim to do the same thing as the Five Fingers, except they don't look as silly (IMO). I don't know if they do or don't, but I love them for running on pavement and treadmills. Definitely feel a little more work in the calves and I suffer way less shin splints with them and can tell they are easier on my knees.

However, I'm the guy who gets drunk at bars in my flip flops and instead of getting a cab, I will run barefoot home 3 or 4 miles away. So maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

gyldenlove
06-28-2010, 04:45 PM
How about the cutout neck and cutoff bottom to go along with it?

I think if everything is cut off like that we are getting into a grey area, because really what we are dealing with is some form of lesser ape.

elsid13
06-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I got the Nike Free shoes that claim to do the same thing as the Five Fingers, except they don't look as silly (IMO). I don't know if they do or don't, but I love them for running on pavement and treadmills. Definitely feel a little more work in the calves and I suffer way less shin splints with them and can tell they are easier on my knees.

However, I'm the guy who gets drunk at bars in my flip flops and instead of getting a cab, I will run barefoot home 3 or 4 miles away. So maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

I was thinking about getting Nike frees. One of the kid that works for me swears by them.

Irish Stout
06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I was thinking about getting Nike frees. One of the kid that works for me swears by them.

They are worth a test jog around your running store at the very least. Amazingly light with very little sole.

elsid13
06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
They are worth a test jog around your running store at the very least. Amazingly light with very little sole.

I should try them out, because I hate most of the "supported/cushioned "running shoes that have I ever tried. I have a pair of pumas that basically just a sole and some side cover that I love to run in.

scorpio
06-28-2010, 05:27 PM

I love them for lifting, especially squats and deads. I don't run in them though.

Mr.Meanie
06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Great thread! One thing I haven't seen mentioned:

Obnoxously Unqualified Personal Trainer guy

This is the guy who is the personal trainer (usually the Gym's salaried PT) who clearly has no idea what they are doing but spends every week with the same people doing ridiculous exercises.

One guy in particular I can think of always wears the same baggy, ratty sweatshirt, and typically has his clients doing hilarious exercises for an hour straight about 3-4 times per week. One exercise has 2 girls (who are obviously new to the gym and are getting his 2-for-1 special) do exercises together, where one does jumping jacks between the other one's legs while she is doing half-pushups and he yells out encouragement.

Or there's the sloppy personal trainer guy who doesn't appear to have ever lifted weights in his life but is towing around newbies having them play tug-of-war with him with a giant rope (seriously, tug-of-war), or lets them pick whatever machine they want to work and helps by counting for them.

The other thing thats annoying to me personally is Super-Insanely-Loud-Techno-Rage-Music-Guy with cheap headphones that blare out like they are playing it on speakerphone. Dude...destroy your eardrums and everyone else's workout somewhere else.

A few other minor annoyances like other people said is naked-locker-guy who does EVERYTHING else first before putting on clothes or even a towel, including talking on the phone, shaving, brushing teeth, watching espn, etc.... and the Screamer guy.

tsiguy96
06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Great thread! One thing I haven't seen mentioned:

Obnoxously Unqualified Personal Trainer guy

This is the guy who is the personal trainer (usually the Gym's salaried PT) who clearly has no idea what they are doing but spends every week with the same people doing ridiculous exercises.

One guy in particular I can think of always wears the same baggy, ratty sweatshirt, and typically has his clients doing hilarious exercises for an hour straight about 3-4 times per week. One exercise has 2 girls (who are obviously new to the gym and are getting his 2-for-1 special) do exercises together, where one does jumping jacks between the other one's legs while she is doing half-pushups and he yells out encouragement.

Or there's the sloppy personal trainer guy who doesn't appear to have ever lifted weights in his life but is towing around newbies having them play tug-of-war with him with a giant rope (seriously, tug-of-war), or lets them pick whatever machine they want to work and helps by counting for them.

The other thing thats annoying to me personally is Super-Insanely-Loud-Techno-Rage-Music-Guy with cheap headphones that blare out like they are playing it on speakerphone. Dude...destroy your eardrums and everyone else's workout somewhere else.

A few other minor annoyances like other people said is naked-locker-guy who does EVERYTHING else first before putting on clothes or even a towel, including talking on the phone, shaving, brushing teeth, watching espn, etc.... and the Screamer guy.

now that azbroncofan whos proven his inferiority, i agree with this 1000% about the ****ty PT. my friend recently had a "free" session at his local gym, the guy made him do like 9 leg exercises and made it so he couldnt walk for 4 days. good way to keep high retention and get clients, retard.

a lot of the good gyms are requiring degrees in exercise science now, and the next wave of training is people who want to train like athletes. if i choose not to go into strength and conditioning, i will go into PT at a gym like that.

Kaylore
12-15-2010, 08:53 AM
There's a new one I found. I was waiting for offseason mode to bring it up.

P90X guys. They usually come in groups of two or three and proceed to take up a weight bench so they can do their elevated pushups and rubber band pulls. It's really annoying that they come to the gym to do what can be done with a chair. Another gym member mentioned this to them and they looked at him like he was speaking Russian. We shared a head shake.

Chris
12-15-2010, 08:57 AM
I am getting a pair of these bad boys for Xmas

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/images/products/258//large.jpg

Really think they'll help me engage my entire body during squats. I'm not much of a runner (I've always hated the notion that turning your brain off and running on hard ground for 2 hours makes you fit) but these are made specifically for fitness training.

Ray Finkle
12-15-2010, 09:05 AM
I should try them out, because I hate most of the "supported/cushioned "running shoes that have I ever tried. I have a pair of pumas that basically just a sole and some side cover that I love to run in.

check out Pacers (there is one in old town Alexandria) they know their stuff and don't try to oversell you.

I just got a pair of Nike Pegasus from there and love them.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Really think they'll help me engage my entire body during squats. I'm not much of a runner (I've always hated the notion that turning your brain off and running on hard ground for 2 hours makes you fit) but these are made specifically for fitness training.

Ive been running in these for over a year now and have zero complaints.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-15-2010, 09:12 AM

P90X guys. They usually come in groups of two or three and proceed to take up a weight bench so they can do their elevated pushups and rubber band pulls. It's really annoying that they come to the gym to do what can be done with a chair. Another gym member mentioned this to them and they looked at him like he was speaking Russian. We shared a head shake.

Did we discuss the "read the newspaper in between sets" guy?

ColoradoDarin
12-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Who goes to the gym to do P90x?? That's like going to Five Guys and making your own hamburgers.

The best thing about P90x is NOT going to the gym. I love it, just finished my first round of it last week. It's funny when my not-quite 2 year old does a few of the moves with me.

bronco_diesel
12-15-2010, 09:15 AM

I have a pair and love them. I do my workouts in them now (I workout at home now, so this helps). They help a lot with correct form in squats, running etc.

I would suggest getting the KSO's. I have a pair of KSO and Trek's - the KSO's fit better but the Trek's provide more support for hiking etc.

Ray Finkle
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Did we discuss the "read the newspaper in between sets" guy?

Of course....I also love the "I am so important" I am going to use three benches, two smith machines, and the dumb bells all at once guy.

zdoor
12-15-2010, 09:28 AM

There's a fairly large amount of these guys lately in Cali...

bowtown
12-15-2010, 09:29 AM
We are coming up on my least favorite time of the year for the gym; when it suddenly fills up with "New Years Resolution" guys and girls that have no idea about gym ettiquette or how to use any of the machines, but they are decked out in brand new top-of-the-line gear, that is about 1 month from going to the top shelf of the closet or the salvation army. I wish I could just skip January and February at the gym.

Ray Finkle
12-15-2010, 09:35 AM
We are coming up on my least favorite time of the year for the gym; when it suddenly fills up with "New Years Resolution" guys and girls that have no idea about gym ettiquette or how to use any of the machines, but they are decked out in brand new top-of-the-line gear, that is about 1 month from going to the top shelf of the closet or the salvation army. I wish I could just skip January and February at the gym.

when I was a manager at a Gym in crystal city here, all of us (managers/staff) would play the "I am never going to see you again game with new members".

If the following phrases were mentioned during the tour, we knew we wouldn't see them.

1. If I pay this much for a membership, it will force me to come
2. I am looking for low impact classes since I don't want to work out hard
3. I am here for the steam room/ whirlpool
4. I plan to drop to my HS weight by the summer

The simple way to avoid all these snow birds is to go the gym in the AM. If you go from 5 PM to 9 PM, you'll get caught in the flood.

bowtown
12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
when I was a manager at a Gym in crystal city here, all of us (managers/staff) would play the "I am never going to see you again game with new members".

If the following phrases were mentioned during the tour, we knew we wouldn't see them.

1. If I pay this much for a membership, it will force me to come
2. I am looking for low impact classes since I don't want to work out hard
3. I am here for the steam room/ whirlpool
4. I plan to drop to my HS weight by the summer

The simple way to avoid all these snow birds is to go the gym in the AM. If you go from 5 PM to 9 PM, you'll get caught in the flood.

Yeah, I changed to mornings a couple years ago for specifically that purpose. It does help a ton, but it will still get too crowded for my taste over the next 2 months. What are you gonna do though, their year long contracts that they don't use is partly what helps the gym be able to function the rest of the year with a smaller crowd.

Popps
12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
12. Stretchypants. This is the girl and some times guy, who spends half an our warming up stretching muscles and tendons you never even heard, preferably by flailing body parts around in the most high trafficated area of the gym.

I swear to god we had one that set up a mat in the walkway through the gym in between the machines. It was really the only place you could walk to enter the machines. Stretchy had a mat set up there, and was doing deep knee bends, jumping jacks, you name it.

I regularly look around my gym and wonder if some of it is a gag that I'm just not in on.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Yes! We call them the resolutionists. They will bring their kindles, ipads, whatever. new work out clothes they got for xmas...and then proceed to do simple exercises completely wrong, then leave after 30 minutes as if they did something productive. And as you implied, they are gone by the end of feb, if they even last that long.

footstepsfrom#27
12-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Go this route...only one douche to deal with.

http://www.fitnessbodyonline.com/pictures/p90xfitnessguide1.jpg

randomtask
12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
The screamer & cheater are both incredibly annoying to me. Fortunately, both are rare at the gym I've been going to (school's gym).

I do have to admit, though, I'm occasionally guilty of Machine-hogging. Though in my defense, it's more due to me going higher-rep, lower-weight for the most part.

And occasionally going super-slows.

Don't judge me too harshly.

bronco militia
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
The screamer & cheater are both incredibly annoying to me. Fortunately, both are rare at the gym I've been going to (school's gym).

I do have to admit, though, I'm occasionally guilty of Machine-hogging. Though in my defense, it's more due to me going higher-rep, lower-weight for the most part.

And occasionally going super-slows.

Don't judge me too harshly.

same here...but move your ass after one set would ya?!?!

Ha!

ColoradoDarin
12-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Go this route...only one douche to deal with.

Talking about Tony Horton or you?

:afro:

mkporter
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes! We call them the resolutionists. They will bring their kindles, ipads, whatever. new work out clothes they got for xmas...and then proceed to do simple exercises completely wrong, then leave after 30 minutes as if they did something productive. And as you implied, they are gone by the end of feb, if they even last that long.

After going to the gym pretty solidly for a few years, I stopped going after my son was born. After a year and a half, I'm finally at a place where I can get back to it. I was hoping to get going before thanksgiving, but now that I've missed that window, I'm really looking at starting in the new year. I'm seriously considering waiting it out until March just to avoid people thinking I'm one of these guys.
8')

ColoradoDarin
12-15-2010, 11:22 AM
After going to the gym pretty solidly for a few years, I stopped going after my son was born. After a year and a half, I'm finally at a place where I can get back to it. I was hoping to get going before thanksgiving, but now that I've missed that window, I'm really looking at starting in the new year. I'm seriously considering waiting it out until March just to avoid people thinking I'm one of these guys.
8')

Just get P90x and do it at home. If you don't like it then in 90 days you can start at the gym without all the resolutionists (that is a perfect word). Find it on craigslist or ebay and save a few $$.

footstepsfrom#27
12-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Talking about Tony Horton or you?

:afro:
Me of course. ;D

randomtask
12-15-2010, 11:35 AM
same here...but move your ass after one set would ya?!?!

Ha!

I try and bounce between two different machines when i'm going super slows. That way it's like I'm only taking twice as long as everyone else.

bronco militia
12-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I try and bounce between two different machines when i'm going super slows. That way it's like I'm only taking twice as long as everyone else.

:thumbsup:

enjolras
12-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Advice-guy thinks I'm a cheater:)

I'm an ectomorph with the requisite long arms. On bench presses, in particular, I don't take them through my full range of motion. I stop about 6" above my chest. This is proper form for my body type, and allows me to lift at a bit higher weight and reduces the chance of injury. I've had multiple people feel the need to tell me that I'm "doing it wrong". I f***ing hate that.

loborugger
12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Advice-guy thinks I'm a cheater:)

I'm an ectomorph with the requisite long arms. On bench presses, in particular, I don't take them through my full range of motion. I stop about 6" above my chest. This is proper form for my body type, and allows me to lift at a bit higher weight and reduces the chance of injury. I've had multiple people feel the need to tell me that I'm "doing it wrong". I ****ing hate that.

Well of course you are getting coached on bench presses... they are the most over done work out in history and everyone is an expert at them.

zdoor
12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
8')

Doesn't matter when you start. Who cares if people judge.... Do it, and use it as motivation.

bendog
12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I hate the holidays when the college girls come home and use the gym

Mile High Shack
12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I hate the guy who is working on like 4 machines/free weights all at once, he apparently thinks he owns the entire gym

bowtown
12-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I hate the holidays when the college girls come home and use the gym

Fail.

Archer81
12-15-2010, 03:29 PM
The overly heavy breather.

We get it. You are working out...but if I can hear you across the gym with ipod buds in...then clearly you are breathing like you are giving birth to a whale for dramatic effect.

:Broncos:

Chris
12-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I have a pair and love them. I do my workouts in them now (I workout at home now, so this helps). They help a lot with correct form in squats, running etc.

I would suggest getting the KSO's. I have a pair of KSO and Trek's - the KSO's fit better but the Trek's provide more support for hiking etc.

Can you hike on rock with any of them?

KSO's seem to be good all round shoes.

I went to maine this summer and walked barefoot for a week... found myself standing much straighter (and this is from someone who works out his core routinely).

Mountain Bronco
12-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I hate the guy who is working on like 4 machines/free weights all at once, he apparently thinks he owns the entire gym

^^^ This. Dude I am on a circut and can't break the timing. So it is basically the machine hog X4 because he is attempting to hog 4 machines at once.

tsiguy96
12-15-2010, 04:52 PM
i was working out with 2 girls from my department (exercise science grad students), and they were doing pullups, assisting each other by pushing on their sides. some random guy comes up and tells me they can grab their foot and do it that way. my first reaction...who the **** is this guy?

Chris
12-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Disclaimer in this thread: when you're working out you're going to be naturally more aggressive.

mkporter
12-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Doesn't matter when you start. Who cares if people judge.... Do it, and use it as motivation.

I won't really let it influence me. The last time I started at the gym was in February. Definitely occurred to me that I will be that guy, though. **** the haters though, right?

baja
12-15-2010, 07:57 PM
I work out at home now but two pet peeves were people that sweat like pigs and don't wipe their machine down before they leave and people that smell bad. Some people smell like something dead.