PDA

View Full Version : Elvis overshadowing Champ contract situation

oubronco
06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Elvis overshadowing Champ contract situation

By Mike Klis Comments

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey turns 32 tomorrow.

Six years into Bailey’s seven-year contract, it’s already fair to argue the Champ is the best defensive player in Broncos’ history. Also in the discussion are Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright, Karl Mecklenburg, Rich Jackson and Steve Atwater/Dennis Smith/Billy Thompson. Pass rusher Elvis Dumervil needs a couple more Elvis-like years before he’s included in the best-ever-Denver-D-player topic.

Which gets me to thinking: For all the angst regarding Dumervil’s contract, his situation is really no different than Bailey’s.

Both are under contract for one more year. Both will become unrestricted free agents after this year.

Both would command enormous multi-year contracts that average north of $12 million a year.

Talk about putting Pat Bowlen in a tough spot. The Broncos have taken some serious public-relations hits for not yet getting Dumervil under contract. Think of the local public uprising that would occur if they allow Champ to walk.

I don’t see how Bowlen, who like everybody else in America has been tightening up his expenses the past two or three years, can afford to bring back Bailey and Dumervil after this season. Maybe he can franchise one, and work out a long-term deal for the other. But that strategy may fail as even a temporary fix as it could be cost-prohibitive for both the Broncos’ 2011 cash budget and 2011 salary cap, assuming there is one.

Bailey has already come out in full support of Dumervil getting his market value. And Dumervil would no doubt stand behind Bailey’s right to play three or four more years with the Broncos.

But if you’re the person balancing Bowlen’s financial books, you might conclude the pass rusher and the cornerback are working against each other.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/06/21/elvis-overshadowing-champ-contract-situation/

Smiling Assassin27
06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Six years into Bailey’s seven-year contract, it’s already fair to argue the Champ is the best defensive player in Broncos’ history.

Stop it.

TheReverend
06-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I hope we can squeeze Elvis into a 7 year deal rather than a 5. A 33 year old DE/OLB has a lot less bargaining power than a 31 year old (esp if he starts campaigning for an extension 1-2 years early).

scorpio
06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
There's a stub about this on PFT, and who makes a special guest appearance in the comments section?

-slap- !

Though after reading his take I don't think we've been missing anything for the past few years.

dbfan21
06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I can foresee us letting Champ leave in FA if the new DBs start working out. I am not saying I would be happy about it, but I can foresee it.

dsmoot
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I can foresee us letting Champ leave in FA if the new DBs start working out. I am not saying I would be happy about it, but I can foresee it.

It is the New England way. Don't overpay for a veteran who is on the short side of his career where injuries could become part of the value equation.

BlaK-Argentina
06-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Depends on how much he's going to cost.

Even if his play has declined, he's still an incredible asset to have. Plus if the young CBs don't pan out we're screwed. He still has a couple of very good years in him IMO.

GoBroncos84
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Both guys are essential to our defense. I hope they can keep them

Kaylore
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
There's a stub about this on PFT, and who makes a special guest appearance in the comments section?

-slap- !

Though after reading his take I don't think we've been missing anything for the past few years.

Found it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/21/champ-baileys-next-contract-wont-be-easy/

McDouche will run him off. All signs of Shanahan's success might be abolished. Also, Bowlen is done spending money on this team. The only hope for Bronco fans is for him to sell in the near future and hope the team isn't bought by some asshole Walmart heir.
It sort of reads like Slap but he was smarter than that. This whole "Bowlen won't spend money" crap is baseless but people are believing thanks to some crappy article a year ago.

TonyR
06-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Depends...

^ That's all the further I could get with the distraction of your avy. Wow. Who is that?

TheReverend
06-21-2010, 01:18 PM

-slap- !

lol post it

BlaK-Argentina
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
^ That's all the further I could get with the distraction of your avy. Wow. Who is that?

Carolina Ardohain. :):):)

baja
06-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Found it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/21/champ-baileys-next-contract-wont-be-easy/

It sort of reads like Slap but he was smarter than that. This whole "Bowlen won't spend money" crap is baseless but people are believing thanks to some crappy article a year ago.

Sure sounds like -slap- but I would be surprised if that was his take on Josh and Bowlen.

Bronco Yoda
06-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I can see us letting Champ walk. Hope it doesn't come to that.

TheChamp24
06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Resign Champ and put him as a FS, and he's good for 4 more years.

Los Broncos
06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
chump bailey, 5 yrs, pleeeeze!!
Doncos are headed to the cellar of the AFC west!! Even the Raidas will sweep you this seas!!
lol
Mchoodie is the worst coach since lame kiffin!

Don't Raider fans say this every year?

cmhargrove
06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Resign Champ and put him as a FS, and he's good for 4 more years.

If we can keep bolstering the d-line, he will be just fine at corner for a few more years.

There are a lot of issues that won't be worked out until the labor issues are settled. It will be a rocky year or two for contracts and players all over the league. Not just for Elvis and Champ.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
It'd be nice to have Champ back, but i doubt even Champ thinks he's worth what his old contract paid.

Beantown Bronco
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
It'd be nice to have Champ back, but i doubt even Champ thinks he's worth what his old contract paid.

Don't be so sure about that. If you look at what the "top" corners have signed for since we inked Champ to his current deal, it's actually quite a bargain. Several CBs are making more than him these days.

meangene
06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
It is the New England way. Don't overpay for a veteran who is on the short side of his career where injuries could become part of the value equation.

I think this is very much the case - Doom is much more of a priority at this point. I could see us trying to hang on to Champ but not at the kind of coin he is making now. First things first. Get Doom signed. Klis is being his usual self trying to stir up stuff on the Doom and, now, the Champ contract. Way too premature to be overly concerned - training camp is over a month away, Doom signed his tender and talks are, by all accounts, progressing. Ah, it is the slow season.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
How many people have gotten long-term deals this offseason that have either been under contract or a RFA? Not many.

This speculation with both Bailey and Dumervil and who may or may not return is so ****ing stupid until the CBA situation is settled. Will the cap come back? Will they alter the % of revenues that must be paid out to players, which will either raise or lower what would be a "market" deal? When will the next NFL game happen after the next Super Bowl?

There are way too many real financial issues that must be sorted out on a league-wide basis before any beat writer should even think about offering his opinion on what is going to happen with 2 players' signing situations next March.

OBF1
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
12 million a year each is just plain crazy, way too much to tie up for just 2 players.

gyldenlove
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
chump bailey, 5 yrs, pleeeeze!!
Doncos are headed to the cellar of the AFC west!! Even the Raidas will sweep you this seas!!
lol
Mchoodie is the worst coach since lame kiffin!

Don't Raider fans say this every year?

Yup, but if you lived in an area with that much mercury in the water, so would you.

Los Broncos
06-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Yup, but if you lived in an area with that much mercury in the water, so would you.

So they must eat a lot of fish.

baja
06-21-2010, 03:14 PM
well if you close your eyes it smells like fish.

baja
06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
It's really out of date Spam

baja
06-21-2010, 03:16 PM
name the state that sells the most Spam per capita.

UberBroncoMan
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Considering we signed Brian Dawkins last year, I don't see why we wouldn't bring Champ back. The big problem would be that he needs to shift to Safety. There's not much room there due to depth (McBath is the future over Dawkins). I guess he could take over for Hill...?

ward63
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I want him to end his career to end here, but I don't see it happening. We drafted Phonz for a reason and if he turns it around this year I (sadly) see Champ walking.

baja
06-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Although I would hate to see it happen I think there is a good chance they will tag and trade Champ. makes the most business sense.

baja
06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Another possibility is Champ thinks he has a good shot at a ring here and gives up a home town deal.

BroncoBuff
06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Arkansas

baja
06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Arkansas

Nope

cmhargrove
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
name the state that sells the most Spam per capita.

Hawaii

baja
06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Hawaii

Correctamundo!

How did you know

GoBroncos84
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I think Champ still has 2-3 very good years at CB, and can move to FS around 35 and extend his career another 2-3 years. I really hope all of those years are as a Bronco.

BroncoBuff
06-21-2010, 04:06 PM
"per capita" is the key .... size of Hawaii, there could be one guy who loves the stuff enough to put them on top

eddie mac
06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Has a 32 year old non quarterback even ever got a deal over $10m a season, nevermind $12m???

Surely age has to be factored into any contract offer for Champ regardless if it's us or some other team paying it. I dont see any team giving Champ $12m a year at the start of his 33rd year in this world.

He's still a good player but he is not the player he was a few years ago and he is not one of the top 5 or 6 players at his position anymore, younger guys have come into this league and have went ahead of him, it's the natural way I'm afraid but for Kiz to compare both contract situations is laughable. Not to mention the fact that Bailey's already pocketing $12m this season so in hindsight if the Broncos agreed a contract for Dumervil tomorrow at the rate he's looking for, they will be paying the exact amount this year Kiz says they cant afford for both players and I thought I was ****ing Irish.Hilarious!

snowspot66
06-21-2010, 04:55 PM
"per capita" is the key .... size of Hawaii, there could be one guy who loves the stuff enough to put them on top

Hawaii in general has a love for spam. I'm not sure why.

bowtown
06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Has a 32 year old non quarterback even ever got a deal over $10m a season, nevermind $12m???

Surely age has to be factored into any contract offer for Champ regardless if it's us or some other team paying it. I dont see any team giving Champ $12m a year at the start of his 33rd year in this world.

He's still a good player but he is not the player he was a few years ago and he is not one of the top 5 or 6 players at his position anymore, younger guys have come into this league and have went ahead of him, it's the natural way I'm afraid but for Kiz to compare both contract situations is laughable. Not to mention the fact that Bailey's already pocketing $12m this season so in hindsight if the Broncos agreed a contract for Dumervil tomorrow at the rate he's looking for, they will be paying the exact amount this year Kiz says they cant afford for both players and I thought I was ****ing Irish.Hilarious!

I would argue that Champ is still one of the top 5 at his position.

GoBroncos84
06-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I would argue that Champ is still one of the top 5 at his position.

As would I. Asomougha, Revis, and Champ are my top 3

oubronco
06-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I want him to end his career to end here, but I don't see it happening. We drafted Phonz for a reason and if he turns it around this year I (sadly) see Champ walking.

Cox has a better chance imo

uplink
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
if Bailey plays one more year and leaves, will he get in the ring of fame? I do think he may leave if he wants top dollar.