PDA

View Full Version : Truth & Rumors: Broncos the cheapest team in the NFL?

montrose
06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Broncos the NFL's cheapest team?

07:18 AM ET 06.21 | The offseason tale of Elvis Dumervil may be exposing the Broncos as penny-pinchers. The good people of Colorado built Broncos owner Pat Bowlen a football stadium so the local NFL team would be a Super Bowl contender forever. But, like pass-rusher [Dumervil], the rest of us are slowly discovering that loyalty in the NFL is often a one-way street. Could it be after all these years of acting the good neighbor, Bowlen and his franchise are now more interested in making money than winning a championship? Maybe Josh McDaniels was hired as coach in Denver to hold down costs, especially with labor strife looming for the NFL just around a dark bend in the road ahead. Dumervil gave his team a league-leading 17 sacks last season. In return, the Broncos have given Dr. Doom the least amount of appreciation possible, leaving the four-year veteran little choice except to sign a $3.168 million tender to give his 110 percent on the field.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/198031-broncos-the-nfls-cheapest-team

crush17
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
lol. pure trash.

bronco militia
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
mark kizla strikes again

yawn....

Boobs McGee
06-21-2010, 08:44 AM
:lombardi:

baja
06-21-2010, 08:47 AM
OK I've decided to help out Pat I will play OLB for 3 mill a year. Hope that helps.

no-pseudo-fan
06-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Denver is no longer trying to pay high-priced Merc's= Cheap? IDK.

I was tired of seeing the Bronco's overspending on players that do not produce on the field.

no-pseudo-fan
06-21-2010, 08:48 AM
OK I've decided to help out Pat I will play OLB for 3 mill a year. Hope that helps.

I will be your back-up for league minimum for the next 5 years. :strong:

Kaylore
06-21-2010, 08:49 AM
As has been explained earlier, firing Shanahan and hiring McDaniels was more expensive, not less. We've been very active in free agency every year. We had the more expensive two first round picks we traded for this year. We signed Kuper and Dumervil will be signed in the next few weeks. There is no evidence whatsoever that Bowlen is "going to a clippers model" and any evidence of him trying to save money is more reflective of good business habits than any kind of financial crisis.

baja
06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
As has been explained earlier, firing Shanahan and hiring McDaniels was more expensive, not less. We've been very active in free agency every year. We had the more expensive two first round picks we traded for this year. We signed Kuper and Dumervil will be signed in the next few weeks. There is no evidence whatsoever that Bowlen is "going to a clippers model" <b>and any evidence of him trying to save money is more reflective of good business habits than any kind of financial crisis.

Exactly. Because Bowlen no longer is allowing his GM to spend money like a drunken sailor on prima donna head cases that cause more trouble than they are worth like we became used to the last several years of the Shanahan era so it looks in comparison like Bowlen has become cheap. Like Kaylore said he is now spending his money wisely. Good for the Broncos.

RhymesayersDU
06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Denver is no longer trying to pay high-priced Merc's= Cheap? IDK.

I was tired of seeing the Bronco's overspending on players that do not produce on the field.

While I agree with your free agent point, the piece was on Dumerville specifically, who has produced.

We also let go Marshall, another producer, although his baggage had a lot to do with that.

bronco militia
06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
IMO,I think the owners are hiding behind the lack of a CBA and the economy. Doom would already have his new contract if he had entered the league just one year earlier.

baja
06-21-2010, 09:05 AM
While I agree with your free agent point, the piece was on Dumerville specifically, who has produced.

We also let go Marshall, another producer, although his baggage had a lot to do with that.

I doubt Doom would have signed his tender unless he knew he was close to a deal. He let go of his only leverage when he signed. My guess is it was a good faith gesture.

Rabb
06-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I wonder what that makes the Patriots, or Chargers then...since you know, they have contract issues also right now

bowtown
06-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I wonder what that makes the Patriots, or Chargers then...since you know, they have contract issues also right now

It makes them costal media darlings with throngs of fairweather fans, and therefore less likely to be criticized.

I can't wait until Doom gets his new contract sometime in the next month or two and all these people look like the idiots they are.

Br0nc0Buster
06-21-2010, 09:12 AM
No one is signing their RFAs to long term deals, well hardly anyone

Are the Jets cheap because Revis wants a new deal?
How bout the Titans with Johnson?
Chargers with McNeil and Jackson?

this concept is just stupid

Rabb
06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
It makes them costal media darlings with throngs of fairweather fans, and therefore less likely to be criticized.

I can't wait until Doom gets his new contract sometime in the next month or two and all these people look like the idiots they are.

:thumbsup:

totally agreed

Popcorn Sutton
06-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Not to mention, over the course of the last two years the Broncos have brought in a lot of free agents with medium sized contracts... I.E. Goodman, Bannan, Williams, Hill, Gaffney, etc. etc. Also paid Dawkins a healthy 2 year deal. This opposed to bringing in one or two very high priced (over priced) free agents. The Broncos have been spending... maybe not the most but certainly not the least of any team in the NFL.

FISH
06-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Doesnt Kizla go on to explain that despite all...he thinks were making the right decision by thinking it through? Maybe not...lemme go look...

Yep...

"Is Dumervil worth a multiyear contract in the neighborhood of $65 million, with more than half the money guaranteed, no matter how long his 5-foot-11, 248-pound body holds up against the strain of being an undersized playmaker in a violent game?
The brutally honest answer is: No."

So at least he had the common courtesy to flip flop mid story...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15335926

Hogan11
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Doom was brought in under Shanahan, doesn't that explain everything? Ha!

broncocalijohn
06-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Doom was brought in under Shanahan, doesn't that explain everything? Ha!

I think Doom is one guy McDaniels wants to keep around. I dont put McDaniels not being Doom's "guy" and contract dispute in the same sentence. That is a stretch. Doom has been nothing but exceptional physically and mentally for this team. You dont need to worry about a head case with Doom..... unless you dont pay him fairly then i can see him speaking up. If he doesnt, he is more man than most in this league.

Bronco Yoda
06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree. I think McD will do what it takes to keep him around if possible.

bronclvr
06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
I hope what was pointed out here earlier is true (about Doom playing hard ball here)-I can see that while it is a business, as a Player I could see that sometimes it would be hard to not have a problem (or an attitude) with how it is handled-I don't think the Bronco's should make this a tough negotiation, but who knows, maybe Doom's Agent is holding out for a really big Contract-

meangene
06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Check back in two months - if Doom is not signed then there is a story. Now, the article is just stupid.

BroncoBuff
06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
montrose ... turned hater?

I refuse to believe it.

montrose
06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
montrose ... turned hater?

I refuse to believe it.

Just posting the story here, although I am a bit more concerned about it than others. Not Elvis' deal in particular but I don't want our team to get a rap around the league as being cheap.