PDA

View Full Version : Broncos hope age comes before winning on D-line

HEAV
06-20-2010, 10:05 AM
A million here, a million there pretty soon you're talking about real money.

And when the Broncos plowed into the offseason to repair the blemishes from last season's 8-8 finish, they spent some real money on the defensive line by signing three front-line veterans for an extreme makeover.

"Obviously they had some things they wanted to shore up," Broncos defensive end Justin Bannan said. "I think they knew what kind of player they wanted, what we would bring to the table.

"Does that bring some extra pressure? Maybe, I don't know, but there's pressure every day in this job. There are tons of people out there waiting to take your place. Every day you've got to show up for work and get it done."

The Broncos concluded their full-team, on-field work last weekend when they wrapped up their final minicamp. But because the workouts were low impact, the potential fruits of the Broncos' offseason investment may not be visible until training camp and into the start of the season.

That investment came to the tune of a three-year, $16 million deal to Jamal Williams, a four-year deal that could be worth up to $20 million for Jarvis Green and a five-year deal worth $22 million for Bannan. Green and Bannan are 31 years old, while Williams is 34.

"We've been around the block once or twice. We know what it takes," Bannan said. "When December, January rolls around, we're still going hard and making it happen."

The Broncos are counting on it. The signature of their 2-8 cave-in down the stretch last season was the crumbling of their run defense. Seven of their last 10 opponents topped 104 yards rushing. Five of the last 10 topped 170 yards rushing, and in the season finale, with a playoff spot on the line, the Broncos gave up a dream-crushing 317 yards rushing to the Chiefs.

In the Broncos' 3-4 scheme, the front three did not control the line of scrimmage or routinely tie up enough blockers for the defense to hold ground in important situations last season.

The defensive front, when compared to linebacker or the secondary, also was the defensive group that had received the least amount of attention coming into the 2009 season. That's not true this time around, as the Broncos have gambled that their beefy 30-somethings up front can repair what ailed their run defense. This despite Bannan and Green having been part-time starters for much of their careers.

"It was something we felt we liked the people involved and how those players fit our team," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Most practitioners of the 3-4 defense will say it starts at nose tackle, so the 348-pound Williams, who tormented the Broncos for much of his 13 seasons with the Chargers, is key. Williams spent virtually all of last season on injured reserve with a torn muscle in his arm.

He figures to be a two-down player for the Broncos, ceding his spot in some passing situations when the Broncos go to their nickel (five defensive backs) or dime (six defensive backs) packages.

"I'm fresh and I know a lot of these guys here now from playing in Pro Bowls," Williams said. "I'm comfortable with what we're doing. And I'm still having fun. I like my job, I know what to do with my job."

In recent workouts, Williams was at nose tackle with the starting defense much of the time, with Bannan at left defensive end as Green split time at right defensive end with Ryan McBean, a starter in 2009.

"The payoff for us upfront is knowing you can play at a level not too many people can reach," Bannan said. "I feel accomplished, I feel happy when I'm exhausted, laying on the field with nothing left. That I did something of value in terms of giving something all you have.

"And winning ballgames too, we're not here just to work hard, and do this and that. We've got to win. Everybody knows that."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15335927?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29

gyldenlove
06-20-2010, 10:14 AM
This is the first time in quite a while I have felt really good about our defensive line, the depth is better than it has been in years and the starter quality is good too.

montrose
06-20-2010, 10:22 AM
This is the first time in quite a while I have felt really good about our defensive line, the depth is better than it has been in years and the starter quality is good too.

You're an idiot then. These guys ****ing suck. Jamal Williams was good ten years ago, Jarvis Green is just another Joshy's sucky ex-Pats and Bannan is an expensive Peterson. The only good DL of the group is Thomas because he was a Shanahan-guy. Talent on the DL is what wins in this league! Letting go of Engleberger and Robertson will set this franchise back decades! Making matters worse, this idiot let go of our best playmaking LBs! Jamie Winborn and Nate Webster 4 Life, always remember...

Cito Pelon
06-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah, the depth is a big deal. The DL is being built up. Too slowly for some people, they think miracles happen overnight.

Lord, there was so many holes to fill from the 2008 D. That was the worst Bronco D in 40 years. Shanahan tried like a demon to make a good D in his time here, but it seemed like the harder he tried the worse it got.

We're slowly getting a solid D built with some young talent and solid vets. I would love to see the D return to kickass status.

Cito Pelon
06-20-2010, 10:46 AM
You're an idiot then. These guys ****ing suck. Jamal Williams was good ten years ago, Jarvis Green is just another Joshy's sucky ex-Pats and Bannan is an expensive Peterson. The only good DL of the group is Thomas because he was a Shanahan-guy. Talent on the DL is what wins in this league! Letting go of Engleberger and Robertson will set this franchise back decades! Making matters worse, this idiot let go of our best playmaking LBs! Jamie Winborn and Nate Webster 4 Life, always remember...

Justin Bannan is one confident guy. I like it. He probably knows it's just a matter of him holding his ground for a couple seconds so the faster guys that are supposed to make the tackles do so. He learned his A-B-C's long ago.

montrose
06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Justin Bannan is one confident guy. I like it. He probably knows it's just a matter of him holding his ground for a couple seconds so the faster guys that are supposed to make the tackles do so. He learned his A-B-C's long ago.

He ain't no Engelberger...

SoCalBronco
06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
He ain't no Engelberger...

Does Justin Bannan have a room named after him?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2299/2046279720_fe68ae3942.jpg

That's what I thought.

:)

montrose
06-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Does Justin Bannan have a room named after him?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2299/2046279720_fe68ae3942.jpg

That's what I thought.

:)

And neither had their ride featured on SPEED

<embed src="http://www.goldmic.com/videos/watch.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" flashvars="xv=24560&xa=0&xr=1" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="400" height="326" id="goldmicvideo" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0218/nfl_g_drobertson1_300.jpg
D-Rob in da house!

Popps
06-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I can't wait to see this new group out there, together. Imagine what this will do for our LBs if we can get some more consistent play up front.

Ayers has to grow up fast this year, too. We need pressure from someone besides Elvis.

baja
06-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I was listening to the NFL on Sirius Radio earlier today and they have us as the least improved team in the AFC West. They think we have coach that the players have questions about due to the trades. They see both the Raiders and the Chiefs as up and coming teams that have made good acquisitions recently.

I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this year and going forward.

By the end of this season it will be commonly agreed among pundents that we have one of the best coaches in the game today. "Bright young mind" they will say. "A gutsy genius" for grabbing Tebow. A Brilliant mind" they will they will say when talking about Josh appointing 'Wink' as the DC.

FireFly
06-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I was listening to the NFL on Sirius Radio earlier today and they have us as the least improved team in the AFC West. They think we have coach that the players have questions about due to the trades. They see both the Raiders and the Chiefs as up and coming teams that have made good acquisitions recently.

I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this year and going forward.

By the end of this season it will be commonly agreed among pundents that we have one of the best coaches in the game today. "Bright young mind" they will say. "A gutsy genius" for grabbing Tebow. A Brilliant mind" they will they will say when talking about Josh appointing 'Wink' as the DC.

I was with you up until this point. It's not being talked about alot, but it is the one offseason move I haven't been able to get down with so far.

Re: Bannan. How good to people actually think he is/was/is going to be?

bowtown
06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I was with you up until this point. It's not being talked about alot, but it is the one offseason move I haven't been able to get down with so far.

Just curious, what do you dislike about it?

FireFly
06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Just curious, what do you dislike about it?

No, no. It's not that I dislike it as much as it is that I'm just not sure how confident I am about his appointment. I suppose I just feel like its a big question mark for the team.

The difference with this move is that I'm actually really happy with every other off season move (that I can think of atm); from Tebow, to Decker and the rest of the draft, the new D-line, getting rid of Marshall etc, the list goes on. This is just the one move that I'm uncertain about.

I suppose I was spoilt with the security I felt with Nolan's experience and 3-4 track record - not that it did us a lot of good down the stretch! :)

OABB
06-20-2010, 07:12 PM
No, no. It's not that I dislike it as much as it is that I'm just not sure how confident I am about his appointment. I suppose I just feel like its a big question mark for the team.

The difference with this move is that I'm actually really happy with every other off season move (that I can think of atm); from Tebow, to Decker and the rest of the draft, the new D-line, getting rid of Marshall etc, the list goes on. This is just the one move that I'm uncertain about.

I suppose I was spoilt with the security I felt with Nolan's experience and 3-4 track record - not that it did us a lot of good down the stretch! :)

What's going on here? This is intelligent, well expressed and understandable critique. Are you sure you are at the right place? You have to dislike moves because Josh was a patriot or that cutler is gone. I'm so confused.

Bigdawg26
06-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow I completely forgot D Robinson played for the broncos LOL!!! Obviously you guys forgot how dominant Paul Tovessi was!!!

Swedish Extrovert
06-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Captain Obvious!

Mediator12
06-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Bannan is a very solid NFL starter. He is not going to make any Pro-bowl's because he will never get inflated stats playing a 3-4 DE in DEN's system. However, he grades out highly at what he does, beating the guy across from him routinely. He did a ton of the dirty work for BAL's DL, so guys like Ngata, Suggs, and Pryce could strictly penetrate a single gap.

He is a guy every team needs on the DL. Capable, consistent, and tough. He is not a guy who is going to sack the QB a lot or make a ton of Tackles behind the LOS, but he will do the work in the run game and passing game so the DL no longer sucks....

Drek
06-21-2010, 05:49 AM

The success or lack thereof that our defense has this year is pretty much directly tied to how well Martindale adapts to being the DC, that's for sure.

He's familiar with the kind of 3-4 McDaniels wants to run, the heavy attacking style that Rex Ryan uses with the Jets, and now he should have the horses at each tier to get the job done. That has to be the one big question mark for the Broncos heading into 2010.

Bannan is a very solid NFL starter. He is not going to make any Pro-bowl's because he will never get inflated stats playing a 3-4 DE in DEN's system. However, he grades out highly at what he does, beating the guy across from him routinely. He did a ton of the dirty work for BAL's DL, so guys like Ngata, Suggs, and Pryce could strictly penetrate a single gap.

He is a guy every team needs on the DL. Capable, consistent, and tough. He is not a guy who is going to sack the QB a lot or make a ton of Tackles behind the LOS, but he will do the work in the run game and passing game so the DL no longer sucks....

This exactly. He's a guy no one will mention hardly at all while he's constantly doing his job.

The work he does will make life easier on whomever lines up at LOLB (probably Ayers). I also think he'll be a big key in Jarvis Green having success in this defense. Its looking pretty clear that McDaniels brought in Green for his pass rushing capabilities and intends to having him split time with McBean in order to keep him fresh. That was the role he had the most success in for New England, so its great to see that is the attitude McDaniels is taking towards his use. A big key to Green being successful in that role though is having guys on the line with him that can legitimately control two gaps.

If everyone stays healthy, Martindale hits the ground running as a DC, and Ayers steps up as the LOLB this team could generate some serious pressure.

baja
06-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't think McD would let Nolan make a lateral move unless he has a high degree of confidence that he has a replacement that will be as good or better at running the attacking type of D that he is looking for.