PDA

View Full Version : Snus

dbfan4life
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I am a long time smoker. Been trying to quit for a while. Problem is eveytime I drink, I smoke. On top of that, I've been trying to lose weight. I tried snus today and I can honestly say, I have not had a craving for a cigarrete. I know tobacco in any form is bad. Anyone have anything to say about smokeless tobacco vs. ciggaretes?

BMarsh615
06-17-2010, 11:27 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wh0B3WLoxyA/ScwU6wNeU8I/AAAAAAAAAAU/XANd96RVBkU/s320/stuartjohnson.jpg

Archer81
06-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Ick Snus...

I smoked camel wides for a year and felt like my lungs were going to explode, so that forced me to quit. But chewing tobacco, even in cute little pouches are too much.

:Broncos:

DenverBrit
06-18-2010, 06:38 AM
I am a long time smoker. Been trying to quit for a while. Problem is eveytime I drink, I smoke. On top of that, I've been trying to lose weight. I tried snus today and I can honestly say, I have not had a craving for a cigarrete. I know tobacco in any form is bad. Anyone have anything to say about smokeless tobacco vs. ciggaretes?

If you don't have the craving, why switch from lung cancer to mouth and throat cancer?

That One Guy
06-18-2010, 06:42 AM

If you're trying to lose weight and quit smoking... how does drinking play into that? Alcohol is horrible for you, nutrition wise, and it sabotages your efforts to quit smoking.

Try to avoid replacing one bad habit with another, I'd think. God forbid the cravings come back and you have two bad habits.

bowtown
06-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Better for you than cigarettes, worse for you than dip.

DenverBroncosJM
06-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Use those lozenges.... They work but are expensive but so are cigs

dbfan4life
06-18-2010, 07:14 AM
I know replacing one habit for another is a bad thing. My lungs burn a lot less when I work out and don't smoke a pack the day before! I still drink a beer now and again and when I do, craving for a cigarette seems to intensify. Maybe it's a mental thing. Snus seems like an alternative to get that fix without the smoke.

DenverBound
06-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Try Chantix. Honestly it has saved my life. I have spoken to atleast 50 people that have quit smoking using this drug. I once started a cycle and after 3 weeks stopped taking it becasue I thought I didn't need it any longer. My cravings smacked me right in the mouth. Safe to say I started smoking again. I went back to my Dr. for another perscription and she told me the only bad thing about Chantix is that it works too well. She said that atleast 90% of her patients stop taking the drug becasue they feel they don't need it any longer. It's that powerful. No cravings, No side effects. Aside from some pretty bad ass dreams.

loborugger
06-18-2010, 07:21 AM
If you are trying to lose weight... and you only smoke when you drink... and you are trying to quit smoking... seems like there is one simple solution to all three of these things.

Don't drink. Maybe easier said than done, but its pretty simple. And it won't cost you a dime.

Captain 'Dre
06-18-2010, 07:33 AM

Yes. Mouth and tongue cancer.

Do yourself (and your loved ones) a favor, and DON'T start .

I lost a close friend to tobacco-related cancer when he was just 54, and it wan'r pretty...

Broncoman13
06-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Try Chantix. Honestly it has saved my life. I have spoken to atleast 50 people that have quit smoking using this drug. I once started a cycle and after 3 weeks stopped taking it becasue I thought I didn't need it any longer. My cravings smacked me right in the mouth. Safe to say I started smoking again. I went back to my Dr. for another perscription and she told me the only bad thing about Chantix is that it works too well. She said that atleast 90% of her patients stop taking the drug becasue they feel they don't need it any longer. It's that powerful. No cravings, No side effects. Aside from some pretty bad ass dreams.

That and you pretty much get an attitude of "I don't give a shiat about nothing"... no stress at all when you're taking Chantix.

dbfan4life
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks all, good advice. I think I'm gonna go ahead and move with my gf to Myrtle Beach, though. I don't care what you guys think! :rofl:

baja
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
I went from cigs to chew. It made not smoking easier but quitting the chew was hard, very hard. Given your combination of issues I would recommend going to this facility;

http://www.optimumhealth.org/OptimumHealth/OhiSanDiego/ohisandiego.htm

It is much cheaper than like facilities and the protocol really does work.

You will need to do the three week program. You really should do something over weight and smoking is a recipe for an early death.

Irish Stout
06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
I went from cigs to chew. It made not smoking easier but quitting the chew was hard, very hard. Given your combination of issues I would recommend going to this facility;

I did the same. Very easy to quit smoking when I could pop a dip.... problem was and still is, I crave chew now... especially when I am driving or watching a movie.

Los Broncos
06-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I chew seeds and gum to help with the cravings and toke the chronic from time to time, that helps.

I quit over a month ago I was just kind of over it.

bowtown
06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I did the same. Very easy to quit smoking when I could pop a dip.... problem was and still is, I crave chew now... especially when I am driving or watching a movie.

I'm the same. I smoked for 10 years. Quit with chew and then became a dipper for 3 years and finally had to start smoking again to kick my dip habit.

I've been nic free for over 2 years now, but the only thing I ever really miss is the chew.

Ray Finkle
06-18-2010, 09:14 AM
As Baja said, quitting chew is twice as hard as smoking....don't start.

Irish Stout
06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm the same. I smoked for 10 years. Quit with chew and then became a dipper for 3 years and finally had to start smoking again to kick my dip habit.

I've been nic free for over 2 years now, but the only thing I ever really miss is the chew.

Its actually amazing, like I can't stand cigarrete smoke anymore and last time I had one it just felt disgusting... but once in awhile I just crave having that chew. Tried that mint alternative to chew, it was ok. Between that and sunflower seeds and beef jerkey I can fight the urge.

Los Broncos
06-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Its actually amazing, like I can't stand cigarrete smoke anymore and last time I had one it just felt disgusting... but once in awhile I just crave having that chew. Tried that mint alternative to chew, it was ok. Between that and sunflower seeds and beef jerkey I can fight the urge.

Seeds help a lot, I bought the gum and made me sick.

That makes you want to quit just on that!

bowtown
06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Seeds help a lot, I bought the gum and made me sick.

That makes you want to quit just on that!

I loved the gum... too much. Was addicted to that for a while too, 3-4 pieces at a time.

baja
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
What you do is get yourself a portable" ball vice" that you wear under your cloths and every time you get the urge for nicotine you turn the screw and tighten the vice some and the pain will take your mind off off your addiction.

Irish Stout
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
What you do is get yourself a portable" ball vice" that you wear under your cloths and every time you get the urge for nicotine you turn the screw and tighten the vice some and the pain will take your mind off off your addiction.

I'd personally prefer just getting a BJ every time I wanted some nicotine. That would take my mind off it as well.

dbfan4life
06-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I'd personally prefer just getting a BJ every time I wanted some nicotine. That would take my mind off it as well.

I'll talk to the wifey about this...I'm sure she'd go for it. It might add a few years back to my life since baja seems to think my time on earth is nearing the end rather quickly.

baja
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I'll talk to the wifey about this...I'm sure she'd go for it. It might add a few years back to my life since baja seems to think my time on earth is nearing the end rather quickly.

If smoking doesn't shorten life with painful health problems why the push to quit?

DenverBrit
06-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Seriously. If you want to lose weight and stop smoking, just stop drinking for a while.

baja
06-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Republican politicians will be happy to hear that. learn your airport mens room codes and you should have no shortage of suckage offered.

baja
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Seriously. If you want to lose weight and stop smoking, just stop drinking for a while.

I actually gained a ton of weight when I quit drinking and smoking

DenverBrit
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I actually gained a ton of weight when I quit drinking and smoking

I should have added......"and eat smaller portions of healthy food and get some exercise." ;D

dbfan4life
06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not a daily drinker, maybe a few on the weekend. I exercise at least 3 times weekly. I just happen to smoke on the occasions that I do drink, I used to smoke a pack a day. I tried an alternative to smoking and just wanted to know if anyone else tried the stuff and if it was a "better" than smoking. I fully understand tobacco in any form is bad for you. I used the word "better" for lack of a better word.

Conklin
06-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I've taken a similar approach, smoked for years and just recently w/ marlboro started giving a free pack of snus w/ cigs i started that and have weened my addiction from smoking. I've gone from two packs of cigarettes a day to one, to a half and now am one week smoke free...still have the addiction badly but a dip has helped me resist. hopefully getting off snus will be easier cold turkey than smoking was

HAT
06-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Better for you than cigarettes, worse for you than dip.

Snus / Pouches are worse than dip? How so?

20+ year dipper here (unfortunately)....Never heard that one before.

How's Chantix for dip quitters?

RhymesayersDU
06-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I say replace them all with heroin.

DenverBrit
06-19-2010, 12:11 PM
A picture's worth etc.

http://northgatemedicalpc.com/infoCenter/images/lung-comparison.png

DenverBrit
06-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Pick your poison.

A February 2008 American Cancer Society study found that male smokers who quit cigarettes and switched to smokeless tobacco still had higher death rates from heart and lung diseases as well as strokes compared with men who quit tobacco entirely, or men who never smoked.

Other research links the use of snus with pancreatic cancer. Your chances of getting pancreatic cancer double when you use snus according to the findings.

http://www.ucanquit2.org/facts/WhatIsSnus.aspx