PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 help needed

Ray Finkle
06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Alright so I figured out what they women are planning to get me.

Is there a huge difference between the 80GB and 120GB versions?

Any must have games? Things I don't need (like the blue ray remote)?

Thanks.

Los Broncos
06-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I pretty much bought mine for the Blu ray player, get the remote if you plan to watch a lot of movies.

And I bought and played some games it's a good gaming experience.

Madden is good with it, any war games are epic, NCAA football is a sick game for PS3.

Also the online play is free, just not as good as XBox live.

TheChamp24
06-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Maybe wait because I think I heard from E3 conference that they are coming out with a new package that includes the Move controller, and also ones that come with like 250GB harddrives.
It pisses me off with Sony and their line of PS3's because its a great system, but they always come out with a better version of it with a bigger harddrive that makes you feel dumb for not waiting.
I have a 40GB harddrive, and its actually nearly full. Good thing is, its easy to manually upgrade the harddrives in the PS3's.

Chris
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Uncharted 2
Heavy Rain (more like an interactive movie than a game)

Los Broncos
06-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Maybe wait because I think I heard from E3 conference that they are coming out with a new package that includes the Move controller, and also ones that come with like 250GB harddrives.
It pisses me off with Sony and their line of PS3's because its a great system, but they always come out with a better version of it with a bigger harddrive that makes you feel dumb for not waiting.
I have a 40GB harddrive, and its actually nearly full. Good thing is, its easy to manually upgrade the harddrives in the PS3's.

The bigger hard drive is nice, Microsoft is trying to beat that.

The new system has built in Wi-Fi with a 250 gig HD.

Broncosfreak_56
06-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Uncharted 2
Heavy Rain (more like an interactive movie than a game)

These are the first games I though of as well. Along with God of War 3.

Archer81
06-18-2010, 12:24 AM
The system you purchase does not really matter. If you want more hard drive, you can purchase one and then install it in the system. My friend got a 500GB HD and installed it, but he has a ton of music so it made sense for him to do that. And its relatively simple to install.

The remote, as said would be good to get if you do alot of movie watching.

The games I'd recommend would be God of War III, Uncharted 2, Madden, InFamous, Borderlands (good online experience), Little Big Planet and Batman: Arkham Asylum. They also have some good games coming out in the future like Infamous 2, Castlevania, Dead Rising 2, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2.

PS3 is a good system. You should have alot of fun with it...and the blue ray capability is awesome. I dont buy regular DVD's anymore.

:Broncos:

orange 4 life
06-18-2010, 01:26 AM

Since I know NOTHING about hard drives or GB's or any of that stuff what does this mean in layman's terms?
I think the one I just bought is 80GB's. I just don't know what that means!!

The old systems required the memory cards.
I see this one doesn't. Is that what the GB's are all about?
How much memory it can store?

If so I'm fine because all I play is sports games and usually one or two at a time so I don't need much memory for storage.
If it somehow enhances the game play that's a different story.

Archer81
06-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Since I know NOTHING about hard drives or GB's or any of that stuff what does this mean in layman's terms?
I think the one I just bought is 80GB's. I just don't know what that means!!

The old systems required the memory cards.
I see this one doesn't. Is that what the GB's are all about?
How much memory it can store?

If so I'm fine because all I play is sports games and usually one or two at a time so I don't need much memory for storage.
If it somehow enhances the game play that's a different story.

Games for the PS3 and Xbox 360 save onto and load important files from the hard drive, which eliminates or cuts down on load times. Both systems also have "internal" memory cards that saves the game to the HD. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 also save digital media, like pictures, movies and music, which takes up hard drive space. Its not just a video game system, its a multimedia center. My PS3 is one of the original 80 GB systems. I've had it for three or four years. If all you play are sports sims, then 80GB is fine.

Doggcow
06-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Warhawk is the best multiplayer PS3 game.

Pick it up for ~$15.

i4jelway7
06-18-2010, 02:41 AM
The size of the hard drive is no big deal b/c you can upgrade the hard drive easily if need be, i have a 60gb ps3 and I've never even came close to filling up the hard drive, but then again I don't download a lot of demos or put my music on the ps3, you can actually stream your music from your computer to your ps3 using windows media player or you can download a software program called ps3 media server from http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ it works a lot better than windows media player.

games to get: god of war 3, heavy rain, & red dead redemption
best place to buy them www.half.com (http://www.half.com)

oh and don't forget to get the HDMI cable to get the best picture quality in HD

yerner
06-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Battlefied: Bad Company 2.

Ray Finkle
06-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys...I can't wait....

Drek
06-18-2010, 07:35 AM

Thanks.

Answer these questions and I can give you a bunch of help:

1. What do you want to use it for (all potential uses that you have in mind, ideally in order of priority)?

2. What is your home networking situation (dial-up or broadband? Wifi? Home network with both cabled and wifi? Do you have a desktop networked in and if so how old is it)?

3. What do you have for a TV?

Ray Finkle
06-18-2010, 07:55 AM
1. Play games/Blue Ray with 2 small kids, I don't get to play as much as I probably want to.

2. Wifi but I also have a cat5 line running down to the basement.

3. 46 Sony LED (with polk speakers/Onkyo receiver).

DenverBroncosJM
06-18-2010, 07:56 AM
I would spend the extra money an get a Harmony remote and the Bluetooth adapter so you can control all your boxes from one remote. It's what I have and it works pretty good.

Peoples Champ
06-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks.

If you like sports, must have games are of course the newest Madden, the NHL 10 game is awesome, and if baseball games dont bore you, then MLB the show is awesome. Not a fan of the Basketball games. And Tiger Woods golf is always fun, especially with friends.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare is a must if you like shooting games. Start with the first one (it will be the cheapest) then work your way up to the newer ones.

If you want 2 player shooters for 2 players mutliscreen with a buddy, Army of Two is awesome (the first one, second one not so great).

Buzz Time trivia is fun when you have freinds over, Its 4-8 player and kinda like trivia for everyone.

BMarsh615
06-18-2010, 08:24 AM
You have to play Dead Space and Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2.

Dexter
06-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Uncharted 1 and 2 are excellent and must have imo.

If you like challenging but fun games, pick up demon's souls.

Archer81
06-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Games I'd recommend:
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Dead Space
God of War III
Red Dead Redemption
InFamous
Madden
NHL 09, 10, 11, ect.
Bayonetta
Devil May Cry 4
Fall Out 3
Borderlands
Little Big Planet

My gamertag/screen name is Sirhcyennek81. So anybody, including OP who has a PS3, add me as a buddy if you like.

Irish Stout
06-18-2010, 09:47 AM

This is correct - they are saying $400 package coming out around September that includes a Move controller, the PS Eye Toy, a game for Move and a 250 GB hard drive.

For the Orange 4 Life - anything with the word byte in it typically indicates a size of storage space for a hard drive. The B in GB stands for bytes, the G stands for Giga. When you were first using a computer you talked in terms of Kilobytes, then in the mid-late 90s computers were coming in Megabytes, these days we talk Gigabytes. I think each one is 1,000 of its predecessor in bytes. So 1 MB = 1,000 KB (1,024 precisely); 1GB = 1,000 MB. Soon we'll only be talking about terabytes.

Typically the size of one digital picture saved to a hard drive is 2-6 MBs depending on quality and other features. A 3 Minute song is often 2-5 MBs as well.

On my 60 GB PS3 I have downloaded all our digital photos (Aprox. 17 GB), a few songs, and a whole bunch of online games and demos. I finally hit the 60 GB wall and need to start deleting some of the demos... Or get off my lazy ass and hook up an external hard drive.

Rigs11
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
You can always upgrade the hard drive later,it's easy to do, its just a laptop hard drive.for a remote get this one that works with the ps3 and all your other home theater devices.no need for a bluetooth adapter either.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Interlink-Electronics-Blu-Link-Universal-Remote-PS3-PlayStation-3/12538350?sourceid=1500000000000003142040&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12538350

Quoydogs
06-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I have the ps3 with the 250. Whats the deal with the dvd remote? I keep hearing you should buy it but I can do everything with the ps3 remote. Is there something I am missing?

Irish Stout
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I have the ps3 with the 250. Whats the deal with the dvd remote? I keep hearing you should buy it but I can do everything with the ps3 remote. Is there something I am missing?

Yeah, you are missing a giant Play, Pause, Stop, Fast Forward, Rewind, and Skip buttons. But you can do everything with X and Triangle and the R and L buttons on the controller, so its just preference. Some people like to just have a remote. Oh the remote also has an Eject button.

i4jelway7
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
ps3 add me if you wanna play some MW2

psn= royalee_fuct

aces11
06-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Great info guys. Does anybody know or heard anything about a ps3 mod chip? What are all the bonuses of being able to get one chipped? I've been holding out on buying a ps3 until they were able to be chipped, but it's been forever and now I'm totally out of the loop on everything.

Quoydogs
06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Great info guys. Does anybody know or heard anything about a ps3 mod chip? What are all the bonuses of being able to get one chipped? I've been holding out on buying a ps3 until they were able to be chipped, but it's been forever and now I'm totally out of the loop on everything.

Had my xbox modded and it was nice. To tell you the truth I see no need to mod my PS3. I think they have a great thing going. I also like the fact that I don't have to buy all the add ons like the 360. I have internet connection and a blue ray player and it was all included with the price.

Drek
06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
1. Play games/Blue Ray with 2 small kids, I don't get to play as much as I probably want to.

2. Wifi but I also have a cat5 line running down to the basement.

3. 46 Sony LED (with polk speakers/Onkyo receiver).

My advice then:

1. Get a remote, either Sony's own (reasonable price) or a Harmony with a PS3 adapter (much more expensive).

2. Sign up for Netflix, get a PS3 disc for it. This will let you stream all of Netflix's streaming library to your PS3 which provides a wide array of programming. Tack on the extra ~$1 charge for Blu-Ray rentals and you can avoid dropping $15+ on discs that your kids might lose.

3. If possible hook the system up with a hard line Cat5, it will run Netflix and other streaming operations much better that way.

4. For yourself check out the God of War franchise (1&2 collection are PS2 HD upgrades, GoW3 is a full PS3 release), Borderlands, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 1&2, Killzone 2, Red Dead Redemption, and about a billion others.

For the kids though? Little Big Planet, ModNation Racers, the Ratchet and Clank series, the upcoming Sly Cooper HD bundle (3 PS2 Sly Cooper games in HD on one disc), and a host of PSN games such as Flow, Flower, Pixeljunk Shooter, Peggle, etc..

Don't be afraid of the PSN games for the kids. They tend to offer a lot of advantages (non-age sensative content, lower cost, easier pick up and play style, and impossible to lose).

80GB v. 120GB shouldn't matter, both will give you more than enough for anything short of treating it as a home media server, which I personally discourage. The best way to use the PS3 for large quantities of media is through a networked hard drive with UPNP capabilities, since then the files are shared throughout the house. If that is something you're interested though that is an entirely different discussion.

Since you have kids I would also suggest taking a look at Move. Its a similar control scheme as the Wii but with far greater precision and diversity. It will roll out with some reasonably priced family oriented content (Sony's first party Move specific games will retail at $39.99) while still having compatibility with more mature titles for you to try it with (Heavy Rain, SOCOM 4, Killzone 3, and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition are supposed to support it on release or in the case of KZ3 and S4, when they release).

Doggcow
06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
80g should be more than enough as long as you arnt putting a lot of games or movies on it.

aces11
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
How do you put games on the hard drive? Ones you already own or that can be downloaded? Costs?

bfoflcommish
06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.tanga.com/deals/current

BMarsh615
06-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Don't mod your PS3 just pay 15 bucks a month for Gamefly.

Drek
06-18-2010, 11:15 AM

There are no truly working modchips for the PS3.

How do you put games on the hard drive? Ones you already own or that can be downloaded? Costs?

You can't.

As of now the PS3 is piracy free. The hardware has not been cracked for successful backup play and even if it where almost all PS3 games are extremely large (25GB or more, though often through the use of padding files).

If you're looking for a system you can pirate you should look elsewhere, PS3 is not for you.

aces11
06-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Oh, I thought Doggcow said you can put movies and games on the actual hard drive.
Thanks for the info, sounds like they did a pretty good job of making sure nobody can crack their system.

Quoydogs
06-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Oh, I thought Doggcow said you can put movies and games on the actual hard drive.
Thanks for the info, sounds like they did a pretty good job of making sure nobody can crack their system.

You can download movies and games from the internet. They stay on your hard drive. Also you can put your pic, music ect....

You can also download expansion packs

My one complainant is that is wont recognize my Zune but it will an Ipod. This sucks!

Drek
06-18-2010, 11:31 AM

You can download games through Sony's PSN service as well as additional content for retail games. Most retail games also require an install to the HD but its only a small fraction of the actual game data.

Movies and shows can also be downloaded from the PSN, or alternatively put on the HD with any compatible form of media (USB memory sticks, DVDs, or even through a network link with a uPNP device). The PS3 plays a fairly wide array of media formats out of the box.

And the true obstacle that Sony put in everyone's way regarding system security was using Blu-Ray discs. 25GB downloads/disc rips are not practical, so why would someone put the effort into cracking a system that they can not legitimately then use for some sort of gain?

Drek
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
My one complainant is that is wont recognize my Zune but it will an Ipod. This sucks!
You've got your problem backwards. Zune won't sync to PS3 because MS designed it to only sync with Windows based devices. The PS3 was designed to allow any form of standard drive storage to be accessible from the XMB, MS intentionally made the Zune NOT work with that standardized protocol so that you have to use it with a MS product.

Los Broncos
06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
That's the nice thing about Xbox and Zune, I hook it up and play music and not take up space on my HD.

Drek
06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
That's the nice thing about Xbox and Zune, I hook it up and play music and not take up space on my HD.

This is why I recommend a networked uPNP compatible HD to everyone with a 360 or PS3. I have just a 1TB drive on my network and it holds all my music, movies, shows, etc.. Fully within access to both laptops, desktop, PS3, 360, etc. with little to no effort.

aces11
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
So you can use any website to download movies? And the games? Do you have to pay for these?

Drek
06-18-2010, 12:33 PM
So you can use any website to download movies? And the games? Do you have to pay for these?

If you download a movie on a PC, have it in a PS3 compatible format, and transfer/stream it to the PS3 it will play just fine. The only way to download them straight through the PS3 without a PC is through the PSN, with scaling prices based on quality (HD is more expensive).

Games are all PSN only.

Irish Stout
06-18-2010, 12:46 PM

You can find some streaming websites that are compatible with the PS3 brower and you can watch a streaming movie straight from the interwebs. But to actually download a compatible movie you must go through the PSN Store. Netflix streaming movies are great on the PS3 (as im sure they're equally good on all systems, but don't have first hand knowledge).

If you are downloading movies through a torrent or some other method on your home computer, you will need to convert them with a program like PS3 Video 9, and then transfer via thumb drive or hard drive to your PS3.

There are hundreds of free demos of games out there, but if you want a whole game you're going to have to pay. Games on the PSN Store run from $1.99 on up. Typical price seems to be in the $5 range though, PS One classic games are around $9.99. Some games are real simple, like Qbert and Pixel Junk Monsters, others are more like real games, like WarHawk (it was sold both by disc and online). You just have to explore whats out there cause there are tons of choices.

Get more PS3 store info here: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-store/index.htm

Irish Stout
06-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Just saw Tecmo Bowl Throwback will be released on the 20th on the PSN!

Ray Finkle
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
My advice then:

1. Get a remote, either Sony's own (reasonable price) or a Harmony with a PS3 adapter (much more expensive).

2. Sign up for Netflix, get a PS3 disc for it. This will let you stream all of Netflix's streaming library to your PS3 which provides a wide array of programming. Tack on the extra ~$1 charge for Blu-Ray rentals and you can avoid dropping $15+ on discs that your kids might lose.

3. If possible hook the system up with a hard line Cat5, it will run Netflix and other streaming operations much better that way.

4. For yourself check out the God of War franchise (1&2 collection are PS2 HD upgrades, GoW3 is a full PS3 release), Borderlands, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 1&2, Killzone 2, Red Dead Redemption, and about a billion others.

For the kids though? Little Big Planet, ModNation Racers, the Ratchet and Clank series, the upcoming Sly Cooper HD bundle (3 PS2 Sly Cooper games in HD on one disc), and a host of PSN games such as Flow, Flower, Pixeljunk Shooter, Peggle, etc..

Don't be afraid of the PSN games for the kids. They tend to offer a lot of advantages (non-age sensative content, lower cost, easier pick up and play style, and impossible to lose).

80GB v. 120GB shouldn't matter, both will give you more than enough for anything short of treating it as a home media server, which I personally discourage. The best way to use the PS3 for large quantities of media is through a networked hard drive with UPNP capabilities, since then the files are shared throughout the house. If that is something you're interested though that is an entirely different discussion.

Since you have kids I would also suggest taking a look at Move. Its a similar control scheme as the Wii but with far greater precision and diversity. It will roll out with some reasonably priced family oriented content (Sony's first party Move specific games will retail at $39.99) while still having compatibility with more mature titles for you to try it with (Heavy Rain, SOCOM 4, Killzone 3, and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition are supposed to support it on release or in the case of KZ3 and S4, when they release).

Thanks, I'll probably go with the 80GB and spend the $ saved on a few games.

Master___Pain
06-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Another game to look at is Just Cause 2.

You'll love the PS3

Drek
06-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks, I'll probably go with the 80GB and spend the $ saved on a few games.

Just an FYI:

The 80 GB is likely an original fatty. The 120 GB is the (semi) new slims. The slims use a little less energy but otherwise the two systems are functionally the same. However, the originals have a black glossy finish while the slims use a black matte finish. If you have kids the black matte finish is much better at not showing finger prints.

It is nothing more than an aesthetic difference though. For your needs the systems are functionally identical.

aces11
06-18-2010, 04:12 PM
what's the cost (ballpark) to add your own memory?

TheChamp24
06-18-2010, 08:09 PM
what's the cost (ballpark) to add your own memory?

Well, getting a quality harddrive can run you $50-$200+. It depends on how big you want to go.
If you want to backup your save files/music/videos/etc. then you will need to get a USB storage device that is big enough to hold all that data. The PS3 has a program to backup the data onto this, so you just need like a portable harddrive with USB port to plug in. If you don't have one already, the price can range on how big you want to go.
IMO it is worth it to just get at least 250GB and be extremely safe in your files. Games actually save onto the harddrive, and take up a lot of memory. Heck, MLB The SHow '10 took up like 5GB on my harddrive. When you have a 40GB harddrive like I do, it eats it up in no time.

Rabb
06-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Uncharted, Uncharted 2 and Infamous are must plays IMO. GoW 3 is great as well and if you haven't played the first 2 get the pack and play them, that is a great series.

I pretty much try and stick to exclusives though, mainly a 360 kinda' guy

extralife
06-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Be a man, get Demon's Souls

Ray Finkle
06-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Uncharted, Uncharted 2 and Infamous are must plays IMO. GoW 3 is great as well and if you haven't played the first 2 get the pack and play them, that is a great series.

I pretty much try and stick to exclusives though, mainly a 360 kinda' guy

I am leaning towards Uncharted, Assassins Creed, GOW3 (how is it compared to GOW and GOW2), and Metal Gear....

Archer81
06-19-2010, 09:28 AM
I am leaning towards Uncharted, Assassins Creed, GOW3 (how is it compared to GOW and GOW2), and Metal Gear....

Graphically GOW 3 is far better than the first two, naturally. Story is interesting and the battles are pretty bad ass.

I completely forgot about Assassins Creed. AC2 is awesome as hell.

jbiel
06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I am a fan of the Assassin's Creed series.

Doggcow
06-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Assassin's Creed is cool until you get like an hour into it and doing the exact same thing every 15 seconds gets ****ing annoying.

TheChamp24
06-19-2010, 01:55 PM
The first Assassin's Creed was okay, I didn't play it very much because it was stupid the part between missions having to walk for 15 minutes to the next town.

i4jelway7
06-20-2010, 03:55 AM

you gotta do yourself a favor and get Red Dead Redemption.. the singleplayer is AMAZING!