PDA

View Full Version : Under McDaniels' guidance, Broncos have cleaned up their act

montrose
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Under McDaniels' guidance, Broncos have cleaned up their act
June 16, 2010 4:04 PM
FRANK SCHWAB, The Gazette

It started with a few players and has grown. After each of the last two practices of the Broncos’ mandatory minicamp, there were 30-35 players on one knee in a large circle.

Safety Brian Dawkins delivered a mini-sermon.

A large prayer circle is not unusual after games, but it’s new for a Broncos practice.

Coach Josh McDaniels wasn’t hoping to put together a prayer group with his personnel moves of the past two offseasons. He did, however, put a premium on high-character players. For example, No. 15 switched hands from troubled Brandon Marshall to Tim Tebow, whose idea of a summer vacation is missionary work in the Philippines.

McDaniels now has a group of solid professionals. There are no players who stand out as cancers in the locker room. The Broncos’ public relations staff speaks glowingly about how accommodating and respectful the players are in regards to dealing with the media. Overall, it’s a group of relatively nice guys.

There have been plenty of not-so-nice guys that have had great careers in the NFL. Won Super Bowls. Participated in countless Pro Bowls. Members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But McDaniels feels there is a tangible benefit in having good people in the locker room.

“The reason we say we want high-character players is because you can eliminate distractions that don’t allow you to keep your focus on winning football games,” McDaniels said. “I think they’re really dedicated to trying to do everything they can to win and that includes not creating anything within our own building that could hurt our opportunity to do that.”

There’s no guarantee the Broncos won’t be dealing with some off-field issues, but McDaniels has worked to minimize them. Trading Marshall to the Dolphins was an example of how the Broncos operate now. They could have pressured Marshall into playing for his restricted free agent tender offer, but that would have caused numerous problems. Under Mike Shanahan’s tenure, the team took chances on plenty of players with faulty character, and often ended up with headaches. That has changed.

“There’s no troublemakers, you try to keep that out of the locker room,” cornerback Nate Jones said. “You try to keep guys that approach their job like it’s a job and never take it for granted.”

Coaches don’t like to be distracted during the season. They work crazy hours just to get that week’s plan set.

“It’s hard enough to win in this league as it is and if you put time towards other things other than (winning), you know, you’re probably going to fall behind at some point,” McDaniels said.

Cornerback Champ Bailey said he thinks character matters. He used outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who hasn’t caused any problems for the Broncos during his career and wants a long-term contract, as an example of the type of player who helps on and off the field.

“One thing you want to do is trust the guy next to you,” Bailey said. “If I know this guy is depending on me, and I like him, and we understand each other, I don’t want to let him down.

“You want guys that know what you can expect from them, guys that really appreciate what they have in front of them.”

There is a balance. Someone like Marshall was a constant disruption during his Broncos career, but he was Denver’s best receiver. Whether or not character will matter much in the Broncos’ final record, McDaniels is happy with the players he has assembled.

“I’m proud to be their coach,” McDaniels said. “This is a group of players that come to work with a great attitude every day.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/mcdaniels-100361-act-broncos.html

Popps
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
http://edthemanicstreetpreacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/hitler.jpg

_Oro_
06-17-2010, 10:45 AM
lol

Los Broncos
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM

The Fuhrer! Hochstein is next!

DenverBrit
06-17-2010, 10:58 AM
McPoopyPants!

http://www.stephanieandgregshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/funny-pictures-poopy-pants-0MI.jpg

OABB
06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
We can't win with professionals who are team oriented. We have to have super fast talented guys. Look at the raiders for instance.

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
No remember, according to dragster/strafen he is Stalin.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0812/roflstalin-mao-stalin-rofl-lol-roflstalin-roflmao-roflcopter-demotivational-poster-1228943729.jpg

*WARHORSE*
06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Peace in Denver................man it feels good.

Lets get down to winning now.

baja
06-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I feel better about being a Bronco fan than I have in years.

Dale Carter - gone

I hop - gone

there are many more of these bad actors but those two come to mind as the poster boys of the bad actors that have paraded through Dove Valley.

Yep no more justifying cut blocks or our players spitting in the faces of rival players.

It's good to be a Bronco fan again........

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Players we can be proud of and that kids can look up to for real. Sounds good to me.

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I feel better about being a Bronco fan than I have in years.

Dale Carter - gone

I hop - gone

there are many more of these bad actors but those two come to mind as the poster boys of the bad actors that have paraded through Dove Valley.

Yep no more justifying cut blocks or our players spitting in the faces of rival players.

It's good to be a Bronco fan again........

I've never justified a cut block because they are completely legal. Just like most of the stuff you complain about!Booya!

El Guapo
06-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm a-ok with this. Let's just hope they remember the bottom line and can produce W's.

jhns
06-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Yay, we got a bunch of good guys in a sport that pays big guys to run full speed into each other. Wonderful. Now let's win so I can be impressed.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
We're really excited about this core group of leaders. Not only do we demand professionalism on the field, but in the communities to which we belong.
Champ has adopted the mantra of "Trust the man next to you", and the younger guys are beginning to see that they are all pieces of a much bigger puzzle.
Thanks for the support, guys.

baja
06-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I've never justified a cut block because they are completely legal. Just like most of the stuff you complain about!Booya!

You know as well as I do the league was scrutinizing Shanny's Broncos for that and is soon to be outlawed of controlled better.

maybe you are happy getting an advantage over the opposing team by getting the line to play less than full speed because they need to watch out for their knees.

Me I'm glad it's gone and replaced with smash mouth football taking on all comers and beating them at the LOS

bowtown
06-17-2010, 11:31 AM
We're really excited about this core group of leaders. Not only do we demand professionalism on the field, but in the communities to which we belong.
Champ has adopted the mantra of "Trust the man next to you", and the younger guys are beginning to see that they are all pieces of a much bigger puzzle.

Josh, can you confirm that Colquitt has the punting job all locked up, or will you be bringing in someone to compete in camp?

jhns
06-17-2010, 11:33 AM
You know as well as I do the league was scrutinizing Shanny's Broncos for that and is soon to be outlawed of controlled better.

maybe you are happy getting an advantage over the opposing team by getting the line to play less than full speed because they need to watch out for their knees.

Me I'm glad it's gone and replaced with smash mouth football taking on all comers and beating them at the LOS

Broncos playing smash mouth football = 0 SBs

Broncos playing "watch your knees" football = 2 SBs

I would say every Bronco fan should be happy about it...

Los Broncos
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Nice to have coach on the board, Kaylore can you confirm this is really him?

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Josh, can you confirm that Colquitt has the punting job all locked up, or will you be bringing in someone to compete in camp?

As always, camp will be an open competition. It's possible we bring in a couple more guys throughout camp to see who's the best fit.

OBF1
06-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Pat... Is that you Hilarious!

Popps
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
As always, camp will be an open competition. It's possible we bring in a couple more guys throughout camp to see who's the best fit.

I guess my source is pretty obvious, now.

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 11:37 AM

Your right, now that the purges are over it is time to win, Hitler couldn't do it with his Aryans here is to hoping mCd can do it with his handpicked stormtroopers.

Arbeit Macht XLV GrosseSchüssel!

HAT
06-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Pat... Is that you Hilarious!

We just need Xanders to sign in and we're all set! :thumbs:

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 12:14 PM

Well did you play any football? Actually the cut block will always be part of the game. I don't see it as eliminated. They changed it around where you can do it to thwart the unstoppable broncos this is true. it's always bad when NFL changes the rules to screw your favorite team but seeing as you often like what worst for our country as well I'm not surprised really.

And don't give me NFL is just trying to protect players. Show me one bit of proof knee injuries are down. In fact chop blocks (which are illegal) account for very few of the overall knee injuries, many of which happen with no contact.

Player safety has went down because they are bigger and faster, that's the reason. How do you take that out of the game? Best way to make players safe is to make job easier. How do you do that? You can't do it with saying be slower and smaller.

You can make some rule changes that help some, but best thing would be to expand rosters. Give the players more help so they don't have to play injured as often. Let teams dress more players on Sunday etc etc. Oooops that would cost money and that is far more important to owners then player safety.

Also not to be evil. I do care about people, but really I don't feel too sorry for the players. The risk they take a small price to pay for making hundreds of thousands, millions, and even 10's of millions. Still I don't want to see anyone get hurt. I just don't feel the game any safer since they screwed the Broncos inside cut blocking scheme.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 12:14 PM
We just need Xanders to sign in and we're all set! :thumbs:

Brian is extremely busy with scouting trips and contributing to labor negotiations.
We're going a little easy today, especially after Jacksonville lost some OTA days, so I've had some time with my blackberry.

bronclvr
06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
McDortoh, is that you? Wait a minute, this isn't Oleg-

baja
06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Well did you play any football? Actually the cut block will always be part of the game. I don't see it as eliminated. They changed it around where you can do it to thwart the unstoppable broncos this is true. it's always bad when NFL changes the rules to screw your favorite team but seeing as you often like what worst for our country as well I'm not surprised really.

And don't give me NFL is just trying to protect players. Show me one bit of proof knee injuries are down. In fact chop blocks (which are illegal) account for very few of the overall knee injuries, many of which happen with no contact.

Player safety has went down because they are bigger and faster, that's the reason. How do you take that out of the game? Best way to make players safe is to make job easier. How do you do that? You can't do it with saying be slower and smaller.

You can make some rule changes that help some, but best thing would be to expand rosters. Give the players more help so they don't have to play injured as often. Let teams dress more players on Sunday etc etc. Oooops that would cost money and that is far more important to owners then player safety.

Also not to be evil. I do care about people, but really I don't feel too sorry for the players. The risk they take a small price to pay for making hundreds of thousands, millions, and even 10's of millions. Still I don't want to see anyone get hurt. I just don't feel the game any safer since they screwed the Broncos inside cut blocking scheme.

ya the league wide uproar about the way the O like played under Shanny was an anomaly they just pulled it out of the thin air. Hell we got a NT on our them that lost a year due to Shanny's line play.

Anyway you have your priories and I have mine..

As to your little left field dig. You have no idea as to what I want it happen and you view proves that to me because you are wrong.

LonghornBronco
06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey Josh, welcome aboard.

Quick question, of all the rookies which has the best chance to make an impact on this years team?

Thanks,

bronco militia
06-17-2010, 12:28 PM
whatever...just win some motherfcuking games

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey Josh, welcome aboard.

Quick question, of all the rookies which has the best chance to make an impact on this years team?

Thanks,

It's very early, we're moving guys around, seeing who fits where.
We expect all our rookies to make an impact, whether it's on the practice squad or in the starting lineup. That is why we drafted them.

Eldorado
06-17-2010, 12:38 PM
In before epic finish!!1!1!!1 woooot!!!!!!!!!!

Eldorado
06-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I mean.:cough: sorry..

Uhmm Mr. Josh, I know Tebow is working hard to correct his throwing motion, but why hasn't he laid his 'healing hands' on Clady's knee yet?

Kaylore
06-17-2010, 12:46 PM
The cut blocking issues are not why we have struggled. We struggled because this game shifted to focus on passing the football and tiny athletic linemen that can't pass protect very well are not a good fit in today's NFL. The man blocking might not be as effective in the run game, but it will last longer throughout the year and we'll really notice in pass protection when our guys aren't on skates on third and long.

baja
06-17-2010, 12:48 PM

well you added to you post

I agree rosters should be bigger and dress more players too.

I always thought the way Gibbs had the O line play was working the rule book and playing out of the spirit and intent of the rules.

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
No different then Pats getting away with a lot of contact in the secondary the yrs they were winning. Then NFL started calling that more and whoop WR like Desean Jackson are going off. I'd rather see them just call it the same yr to yr but instead the always change it around to suit them.

One day NFL will get what they want. 45-35 every game.

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 12:59 PM
So then Baja feels when we won Superbowls we were not playing to the spirit of the rules.......

****ing figures.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I mean.:cough: sorry..

Uhmm Mr. Josh, I know Tebow is working hard to correct his throwing motion, but why hasn't he laid his 'healing hands' on Clady's knee yet?

Ryan is about a month removed from surgery he had to repair torn left patellar tendon. Tyler Polumbus and Russ Hochstein have been taking his place in OTAs.

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
And baja my reason for adding was to illustrate that the cut block rule was not changed with player safety in mind. It was changed because the NFL wanted teams to pass the ball and was sick of seeing the Broncos run for 5 yrds a clip every down.

Show me one bit of proof there are less dlineman knee and ankle injuries since the rule change. If anything its the new field turf that is more dangerous. Shhhhh but hixon may have just ruined his career.

TonyR
06-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Do you realize how many years ago those Lombardis were hoisted? Were you even out of diapers yet?

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Do you realize how many years ago those Lombardis were hoisted? Were you even out of diapers yet?

We don't get busy soon we may be in diapers before we get another one!!!

baja
06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
So then Baja feels when we won Superbowls we were not playing to the spirit of the rules.......

****ing figures.

Are you that dense or are you in an agitating mood today?

Like many fans I accepted a few things I did not care for because I am a fan, I am still a fan and I, as a fan, feel better nows with the high character team Josh is building. If you have a problem with that knock yourself out.

If "just win baby" is your mantra than you should check out Al Davis & the Raiders.

Again I like what is happening to my team. It's exciting to be a Broncos fan right now. We are entering a special time for this team.

Paladin
06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
josh, can you confirm that colquitt has the punting job all locked up, or will you be bringing in someone to compete in camp?

lol!!!

NYC Bronco
06-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Nice guys finish..............

Eldorado
06-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Ryan is about a month removed from surgery he had to repair torn left patellar tendon. Tyler Polumbus and Russ Hochstein have been taking his place in OTAs.

Seems legit to me.

Coach, how do you feel about 'the spread' offense at the pro level?

jhns
06-17-2010, 01:31 PM

What does that have to do with anything? Add up the years we used each blocking system and put that next to the number of SBs won. It will only help my case. I wasn't saying we shoulf have stayed with it, I was just laughing that a Bronco fan had a problem with the way we won our SBs.

No I wasn't out of diapers. In fact, I have one on now. It allows me to be much more productive at work when I don't have to take breaks.

jhns
06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
The cut blocking issues are not why we have struggled. We struggled because this game shifted to focus on passing the football and tiny athletic linemen that can't pass protect very well are not a good fit in today's NFL. The man blocking might not be as effective in the run game, but it will last longer throughout the year and we'll really notice in pass protection when our guys aren't on skates on third and long.

Your theory is weird considering the line was much better against the pass than the run in those horrible last 3 years of Shanahan. The only time pass protection got bad was when starting linemen went out and the run blocking was still worse...

Eldorado
06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
No I wasn't out of diapers. In fact, I have one on now. It allows me to be much more productive at work when I don't have to take breaks.

I actually believe this.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Seems legit to me.

Coach, how do you feel about 'the spread' offense at the pro level?

Well it's hardly a new concept, but recently it's evolved from old Oilers and Chargers schemes in the 80's, which was more of a Run & Shoot variation, into the system we had in the place in New England in 07, which often utilized a full 5 receiver set.
It's a great way to try to spread a defense thin and create mismatches.
We won't be relying on it as much as teams like New England and Indianapolis have, but it will be a significant piece of our offensive gameplan.
The offense is a full year into the new system and we're ready to start implementing some things we just weren't ready for last year at this time.

cutthemdown
06-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Like many fans I accepted a few things I did not care for because I am a fan, I am still a fan and I, as a fan, feel better nows with the high character team Josh is building. If you have a problem with that knock yourself out.

If "just win baby" is your mantra than you should check out Al Davis & the Raiders.

Again I like what is happening to my team. It's exciting to be a Broncos fan right now. We are entering a special time for this team.

You do have me agitated because I can read between the lines with you. Now you are saying you are happier now with the high character guys huh. Well if that is kept in line with what we are talking about, the broncos cut blocking before rule change, we are talking about Nalen, Zimmerman, Schlereth, guys who wrote the book on Bronco football and Bronco character.

I'm happy with players who play hard and sell out to win period. That means doing whatever it takes to not get suspended and be on the field.

Basically just don't be a criminal, I could care less whether or not they kiss babies, thump bibles or bang sluts.

jhns
06-17-2010, 01:38 PM

LOL

So much fail in this post.

You had to accept that we were doing things that won back to back SBs? What? You feel better about a team that hasn't been over .500 than you felt about a back to back SB team? You are a weird fan.

That whole Al Davis thing is even funnier. "If win at all costs is your attitude, go be a fan of the team that has won the least this decade...."

bronco militia
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
they are still teaching cut blocking at the elementary school level

cry me a river, baja

gyldenlove
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
McPoopyPants!

http://www.stephanieandgregshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/funny-pictures-poopy-pants-0MI.jpg

That is a Jizz-in-my-pants face if I ever saw one.

baja
06-17-2010, 02:12 PM
LOL

So much fail in this post.

You had to accept that we were doing things that won back to back SBs? What? You feel better about a team that hasn't been over .500 than you felt about a back to back SB team? You are a weird fan.

That whole Al Davis thing is even funnier. "If win at all costs is your attitude, go be a fan of the team that has won the least this decade...."

The issue with our O line play grew over the years as I became more aware of just what the complaints were saying. My point it I am glad we have gotten away from ZBS

I'm not referring to just the cut block there were issues about the way the team was run that I did not like. For example the slime ballplayers that Shanny brought in in an attempt to get back quick to the big game. I thought it was a mistake then and I am very pleased our new coach values smart good football players that take their opportunities seriously.

How did we ever allow a guy like dale Carter on our team? I mean really!

crush17
06-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Sigh... you guys honestly think this is really Josh McDaniels?

Someone else has a lot of time on their hands apparently. lol

Like Josh would have ANY time to be on these boards, let alone this one. If he had any spare time he'd be with his family. Sheesh.

Los Broncos
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Like Josh would have ANY time to be on these boards, let alone this one. If he had any spare time he'd be with his family. Sheesh.

I was just messing around when I asked if it was him.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Pat and I do have social lives and hobbies.
Laura, JT and Maddie are in Connecticut for a wedding with my in-laws. Regrettably I couldn't make it. Did I say regrettably?

baja
06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
You do have me agitated because I can read between the lines with you. Now you are saying you are happier now with the high character guys huh. Well if that is kept in line with what we are talking about, the broncos cut blocking before rule change, we are talking about Nalen, Zimmerman, Schlereth, guys who wrote the book on Bronco football and Bronco character.

I'm happy with players who play hard and sell out to win period. That means doing whatever it takes to not get suspended and be on the field.

Basically just don't be a criminal, I could care less whether or not they kiss babies, thump bibles or bang sluts.

Those guys were all great Broncos. I can like the players and not like the choice of system they are told to play.

Look it's clear you are a 'just win baby' guy and I prefer what Josh is building here. No biggie.

Kaylore
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Your theory is weird considering the line was much better against the pass than the run in those horrible last 3 years of Shanahan. The only time pass protection got bad was when starting linemen went out and the run blocking was still worse...

Now it wasn't. The sacks were lower, but that's because Jay and Jake never took sacks. They would throw it up fro grabs or use their athletic ability to escape the pressure. However when we needed to pass our linemen got destroyed - especially up the middle.

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Laura, JT and Maddie are in Connecticut for a wedding with my in-laws. Regrettably I couldn't make it. Did I say regrettably?

Do you have to pay full price at Shotgun Willies?

Do you play a Musical instrument? DEATHSicle has open tryouts at Bass, Lead Guitar, Chapman Stick, Synth, Hammond B-3, Jazz Flute, backing vocals, Lead Vocals, rain stick, Piano, Thermin, Dobro, Mandolin.

Pseudofool
06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
The way people behave around here you'd think they're all related by marriage. You should have gone to the wedding. ;D

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
The way people behave around here you'd think they're all related by marriage. You should have gone to the wedding. ;D

I actually wanted to but this is a pretty critical time of the year.

I have no free time whatsoever from draft day till (hopefully) the second week of February.

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 02:37 PM

I have no free time whatsoever from draft day till (hopefully) the second week of February.

Did Ben go?

baja
06-17-2010, 02:39 PM

What's your take on lobsters?

OABB
06-17-2010, 02:39 PM

That explains all the posting on our message board. Don't **** up the team Mcstalin! buy a vowel.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 02:41 PM
That explains all the posting on our message board. Don't **** up the team Mcstalin! buy a vowel.

As previously mentioned we're taking it easy today. The league is really cracking down on OTA intensity.
Makes me curious what their policy will be after the season is stretched to 18 games.
Did Ben go?

Definitely not. Ben is a very busy guy right now, as I'm sure you guys can imagine.

jhns
06-17-2010, 02:44 PM

I just want to inform you that your decisions have made me so mad that I feel like punching an underage jaywalking female.

fdf
06-17-2010, 02:45 PM
the cut blocking issues are not why we have struggled. We struggled because this game shifted to focus on passing the football and tiny athletic linemen that can't pass protect very well are not a good fit in today's nfl. The man blocking might not be as effective in the run game, but it will last longer throughout the year and we'll really notice in pass protection when our guys aren't on skates on third and long.

qft

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Definitely not. Ben is a very busy guy right now, as I'm sure you guys can imagine.

I have a younger brother and sister, I made them do all the work too.

Did you pick on Ben so bad that he had to watch Night rider while sitting in a wash machine box?

bowtown
06-17-2010, 02:56 PM
I just want to inform you that your decisions have made me so mad that I feel like punching an underage jaywalking female.

Which should Josh should take as a signal that he has the team headed in the right direction. The day that jhns is happy with your moves, you know it's time to turn in your whistle.

CEH
06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
As previously mentioned we're taking it easy today. The league is really cracking down on OTA intensity.
Makes me curious what their policy will be after the season is stretched to 18 games.

Josh, Why choose this board that called your owner a "gutless dunk" over your offical Denver Broncos board?

NYBronc
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Pat loves it here.

HAT
06-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Josh, Why choose this board that called your owner a "gutless dunk" over your offical Denver Broncos board?

Because Pat posts here too! :strong:

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 03:25 PM
I am guessing Josh's abscense means that they are locking Doom up any minute!

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM

My concern isn't about making every fan happy, it's about winning. Those should go hand-in-hand.
There will always be fans that chose to be dissenters, usually out of a deep rooted emotional necessity to feel unique. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I have a younger brother and sister, I made them do all the work too.

Did you pick on Ben so bad that he had to watch Night rider while sitting in a wash machine box?

We used to have our squabbles. Now I couldn't ask for a better QB coach. I very happy with him here.

Mr. Bowlen tipped me off to this site. He said it was a great place to blow off some steam and gain perspective on the team from the fan's point of view.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2010, 03:34 PM

What's a dunk?

jhns
06-17-2010, 03:35 PM
My concern isn't about making every fan happy, it's about winning. Those should go hand-in-hand.
There will always be fans that chose to be dissenters, usually out of a deep rooted emotional necessity to feel unique. Some men just want to see the world burn.

Well .500 isn't really winning so I guess you should understand me not liking you. I don't think anything you said in the second part could ever apply to me. I loved every move Shanahan ever made and homered out no matter what happened. I think it is more that people like me can see through your bull****. Man I wish I could really talk to Josh.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Well .500 isn't really winning so I guess you should understand me not liking you. I don't think anything you said in the second part could ever apply to me. I loved every move Shanahan ever made and homered out no matter what happened. I think it is more that people like me can see through your bull****. Man I wish I could really talk to Josh.

I'm sorry, was there a question in here somewhere?

Hogan11
06-17-2010, 03:36 PM
McDaniels, you ruined the entire team!! You traded away all the excitement the fans needed to keep interested in the Denver Broncos. High character guys are just boring....they don't get the TV facetime, sell the jerseys or get the fans excited as much as the distracting, controversial guys do! Wake up Man! Distractions? Distractions mean media attention!! What the hell is wrong with you??

Ha!

jhns
06-17-2010, 03:37 PM
What's a dunk?

It is when you slam a basketball through a hoop.

jhns
06-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm sorry, was there a question in here somewhere?

Is there a question mark in there somewhere?

jhns
06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
McDaniels, you ruined the entire team!! You traded away all the excitement the fans needed to keep interested in the Denver Broncos. High character guys are just boring....they don't get the TV facetime, sell the jerseys or get the fans excited as much as the distracting, controversial guys do! Wake up Man! Distractions? Distractions mean media attention!! What the hell is wrong with you??

Ha!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Well, other than the staying interested part.

Josh McDaniels
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Is there a question mark in there somewhere?

Ok, just making sure it wasn't anything worth paying attention to.

Alright guys, great site you have here. I'll be checking in with updates and Q+A sessions periodically throughout the offseason.
Without the fans we wouldn't have jobs, we cheer for you guys as much as you do for us.
Take care.

HAT
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok, just making sure it wasn't anything worth paying attention to.

Alright guys, great site you have here. I'll be checking in with updates and Q+A sessions periodically throughout the offseason.
Without the fans we wouldn't have jobs, we cheer for you guys as much as you do for us.
Take care.

:thumbs: :strong: :militia: :charge: :bronxrox: :lombardi: :coach:

HAT
06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Mr. Bowlen tipped me off to this site. He said it was a great place to blow off some steam and gain perspective on the team from the fan's point of view.

Tell Kyle to pop on over in between practice sessions & skank swording sessions.

2KBack
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I hope to god we didn't actually get a visit from McD only to have the boards primary representative be Jhns.

Houshyamama
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Hahahahahahaha... Josh? Hilarious!

It would be Mr. McDaniels to you mother****er.

crush17
06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Will someone please get jhns off this freaking forum?

WHAT IS THE POINT??!?!

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Will someone please get jhns off this freaking forum?

WHAT IS THE POINT??!?!

Taco says he gets most complaints about me!!

colonelbeef
06-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Whoopty doo.

I don't remember the 1989 49ers being big on church. Who gives a ****.

Just win.

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Taco says he gets most complaints about me!!

I never complained to Taco about you but you were one of the posters who I really disliked until recently, say 6 months ago. You have seemed to turn it around and I find myself liking you and your posts more and more.

Not that I am perfect but keep up the good work.

FireFly
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Players we can be proud of and that kids can look up to for real. Sounds good to me.

Sounds AMAZING to me. I'm very happy. And it looks like we have a team that is shaping up nicely to contend in years to come!

When you think about it, all of the time coaches have to spend dealing with negative off field antics is time that they're not able to spend game planning.

Masterful.
:strong:

go_broncos
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
McDaniels now has a group of solid professionals. There are no players who stand out as cancers in the locker room. The Broncos’ public relations staff speaks glowingly about how accommodating and respectful the players are in regards to dealing with the media. Overall, it’s a group of relatively nice guys.

you don't win games with nice guys.
We are not competing to win a noble peace prize.

Just win games.
After some years, no one will remember the character if we don't win.

fdf
06-17-2010, 08:33 PM
What's a dunk?

A "gutless dunk" is a technical term for a dunk by a slow, white guy. No spins in the air. No huge overhand slam. And he just barely makes it over the rim.

FireFly
06-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Sounds like the real McDaniels to me :)

mhgaffney
06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
WTF

The coach is gone. How come no one asked him about the running game?

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 09:06 PM
WTF

The coach is gone. How come no one asked him about the running game?

He's just trying to win a MFing game.

Tombstone RJ
06-17-2010, 09:16 PM

you don't win games with nice guys.
We are not competing to win a noble peace prize.

Just win games.
After some years, no one will remember the character if we don't win.

You can be a nice guy off the field and a mean mofo on the field, trust me on this...

McDman
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM

This.

I kept reading questions people were asking and I started to realize they were serious, good Lord.

Paladin
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
What's your take on lobsters?

Especially plastic ones......

You know for humping in the kiddie pool?

KipCorrington25
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Yes, and cleaned OUT their Pro Bowlers. :thanku::rofl:

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 09:39 PM
This.

I kept reading questions people were asking and I started to realize they were serious, good Lord.

Well he (Josh) did say that Pat Bowlen tipped him as to how great this site is and we ALL know Pat posts here.

Geeze!

Los Broncos
06-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Sounds like were bringing in some punters to compete, I wonder who will lock it up first.

Or is it locked up? only time will tell I guess.

outdoor_miner
06-17-2010, 10:28 PM
This.

You guys can't be serious... Everyone was clearly joking. Geez.

broncswin
06-17-2010, 10:30 PM

except for jhns...but no real suprise there:wiggle:

listopencil
06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
You can make some rule changes that help some, but best thing would be to expand rosters. Give the players more help so they don't have to play injured as often. Let teams dress more players on Sunday etc etc.

Actually, yeah- that's probably the best idea I've heard lately to help avoid serious injury.

SportinOne
06-17-2010, 11:22 PM
1. So for those of you who are now backing up the move to go heavy on the line: is that an admission that maybe Cutler's high interception count wasn't all his fault? And what about the red zone where size counts the most? Are the two issues at least somewhat related?

2. Of course it wasn't really McDaniels. A: he probably doesn't have time for this, and B: he, like everyone else on the team, probably has it in his contract not to have personal accounts on forums like this. Could be wrong about B.

3. You win championships with hard-working, football-smart, and physically gifted/talented players who enjoy working together. No team has enough of one facet to make up for the lack of another. We are no exception.

Pseudofool
06-17-2010, 11:52 PM
1. So for those of you who are now backing up the move to go heavy on the line: is that an admission that maybe Cutler's high interception count wasn't all his fault?
No one's saying that. Sacks are better than INTs as anyone will agree.
And what about the red zone where size counts the most? Are the two issues at least somewhat related?Sure, but given your prior question, not to the extent you want to believe.

2. Of course it wasn't really McDaniels. A: he probably doesn't have time for this, and B: he, like everyone else on the team, probably has it in his contract not to have personal accounts on forums like this. Could be wrong about B. Likely, sure. But as long as the charlatan plays it as straight as he has, it will be a good exercise for the board. Oddly enough, things like weddings are usually public record, so one could see if he's telling the truth about his supposed authentic details.

3. You win championships with hard-working, football-smart, and physically gifted/talented players who enjoy working together. No team has enough of one facet to make up for the lack of another. We are no exception.
Is this a point? Or are you just reconfirming something we all already know? The implication here seems to be that character can't make up for talent, which no one here, at least by my subpar observation, seems to be suggesting.

broncosteven
06-17-2010, 11:57 PM
1. So for those of you who are now backing up the move to go heavy on the line: is that an admission that maybe Cutler's high interception count wasn't all his fault? And what about the red zone where size counts the most? Are the two issues at least somewhat related?

2. Of course it wasn't really McDaniels. A: he probably doesn't have time for this, and B: he, like everyone else on the team, probably has it in his contract not to have personal accounts on forums like this. Could be wrong about B.

It is after my bedtime and I woke in pain despite Ambien and various legal meds. So I am posting here....

1) The bigger run line was neccesitated because of the philosphy change from ZBS to a true POWER run game with guards and ends pulling to make a hole for the RB. Our light/old interior OL from last year could not excell at that and it hurt even more when our very good RT had recurring injuries.

2) Anyone who thinks that was mCd or the guy who has an account named Pat Bowlen and he is really pat bowlen is a fool. I think those clowns have too much time on their hands but I love Oleg. He is funny.

3) You win championships by having clear goals for each position and when a guy goes down his replacement is well aware of what the goals for the positions are. i.e. say Doom goes down. the goal for that position is to rush the passer and if not sack him pressure him into a bad throw. Don't get there late looking pretty but not playing hard like Ayers does. Get to the QB.

It also takes a Team that buys into the coaches plans in mini/training camps then execute them into the PS so by the time the RS rolls around no one is out there on the field with their thumb up their ass thinking do I take the A,b,C gap or rush the passer only to get off the line a step too slow and take the wrong route to the play like Ayers does.

Not having injuries to players who are start players or are guys the team goes to with plays or games on the line. replacing those guys midseason is hard.

It helps to win Championships by playing as a team an not taking stupid penalties that cost yards or point.

Championship teams have great pass rushes and can stop the run before the seconary has to get involved. Last couple of years Champ has been burned because he was considering what would happen if they ran instead of passed to his guy.

It would be nice to see players that play hard all game and want the ball to pound it in for the win or make the goaline tackle.

Having ST's that can execute helps also but it is time to try to get back to bed for me.

McDman
06-18-2010, 06:32 AM

No, I really don't think they were.

Hamrob
06-18-2010, 06:59 AM
McD is my hero. He only plays with the good guys. I thought I could see his halo.

Talent wins...whether it's Tebowesk or Too Tall!

I like McD, I like some of what he's done...and not so much the rest. I'll reserve my love fest for after we start winning.

Mcd has coached 1yr....he's 8-8...hardly something to gush over! Unless of course you're all excited about his potential? But, wait a minute doesn't potential amount to squat? Such as the current QB in Chicago?

jhns
06-18-2010, 07:03 AM
I hope to god we didn't actually get a visit from McD only to have the boards primary representative be Jhns.

I don't see the problem with this.

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 09:04 AM
McD is my hero. He only plays with the good guys. I thought I could see his halo.

Talent wins...whether it's Tebowesk or Too Tall!

I like McD, I like some of what he's done...and not so much the rest. I'll reserve my love fest for after we start winning.

Mcd has coached 1yr....he's 8-8...hardly something to gush over! Unless of course you're all excited about his potential? But, wait a minute doesn't potential amount to squat? Such as the current QB in Chicago?

This post is like a 70 year old man with a Thai prostitute... sloppy, pointless and all over the place...

jhns
06-18-2010, 09:16 AM
This post is like a 70 year old man with a Thai prostitute... sloppy, pointless and all over the place...

It is by far the best post in this thread.

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 09:19 AM
It is by far the best post in this thread.

no doubt

TonyR
06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
I'll reserve my love fest for after we start winning.

Funny that some of you will "reserve the love fest", which is completely fair and reasonable, but won't reserve the bash fest, which isn't.

errand
06-18-2010, 09:55 AM

....well actually it's Broncos with talent = 2 SB's

Broncos with only one or two good to great players = 0 SB's

having said that we can win with high character players. What i think is being missed is that this is McDaniels team...not Cutler's or Marshall's.

broncosteven
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Funny that some of you will "reserve the love fest", which is completely fair and reasonable, but won't reserve the bash fest, which isn't.

What is there to reserve now? They went 8-8 no playoffs. Plenty to bash, little to love other than "optimistic potential".

Here is to hoping that optimistic potential = SB this year.

barryr
06-18-2010, 11:07 AM
It would be nice to have players who care about winning and playing for the other guy and not letting him down and not players who decide they need to act stupidly on a weekly basis and have multiple legal troubles. Do I miss drama queen Brandon Marshall? Not at all.

Garcia Bronco
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Every team, just about every play, cut blocks. You are thinking of chop blocks. Which have been illegal for almost ten years.

Kaylore
06-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Go Broncos.

baja
06-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Every team, just about every play, cut blocks. You are thinking of chop blocks. Which have been illegal for almost ten years.

Yes but the way Gibbs and Dennison were using it is what the D players and the league was concerned about.

baja
06-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Ask what our nose tackle thinks about the way Shanny used the cut block. He never would have played for Shanahan.

broncosteven
06-18-2010, 12:41 PM
We are running a Power run game now, get over the ZBS. It is good football to get your man on the ground and out of the play. I don't care if you do it by legal cutting or using a pulling guard &/or tackle just get your guy down and contain the back side pursuit.

I can't believe all the teams who have gone to the ZBS and use it over the last 5 years or more.

Personally I prefer a well orchestrated Cut with the back side of the D on the ground and an RB running to daylight over a RB running behind a pulling guard all the time.

Anyone who thinks the cutting in a ZBS or any other system is illegal does not understand football.

The only issue I had with Denver running the ZBS is that they did not run enough power to keep D's from guessing, you get a guy anticipating being cut is the time you want to run a Power play on the otherside if you just keep using predictable power run plays then your going to be predictable. Mix it up more and gameplan a team.

OABB
06-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Go Broncos.

A port in a mighty storm. So Simple, yet so profound.

Go.

Broncos.

Go.

Broncos.

Hogan11
06-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Only aholes win championships and McD got rid of all of them on the team...we're doomed

Ha!

Hulamau
06-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Yay, we got a bunch of good guys in a sport that pays big guys to run full speed into each other. Wonderful. Now let's win so I can be impressed.

jhn, you wouldn't be impressed if Josh won 5 SBs in a row .... cant afford to be. Not to mention you're obviously too deficient in testosterone and oxytocin to have a positive comment about much of anything. :sunshine:

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes but the way Gibbs and Dennison were using it is what the D players and the league was concerned about.

nice story. got a link?

broncosteven
06-18-2010, 08:25 PM
nice story. got a link?

This was a story back in the mid '90s.

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 08:28 PM
This was a story back in the mid '90s.

before the first SB win? I seriously doubt it my friend

broncosteven
06-18-2010, 08:32 PM
before the first SB win? I seriously doubt it my friend

I was thinking 97ish, mid 90's sounded older.

baja
06-18-2010, 08:32 PM
nice story. got a link?

There are many stories on this subject after a quick search I found this one;

Cut block is a big weapon for Broncos

By JEFF OFFORD
phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA - Do they cheat, or are they really just better than everybody
else?

The Denver Broncos have annually fielded the most feared offensive line in
the National Football League. Feared in more ways than one, too.

Not always huge, the Broncos are always smart, strong, quick on their feet,
and sometimes a little dirty.

The Eagles face the Broncos at 4:15 p.m. Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile
High. The Eagles are 4-2 and tied atop the NFC East with both the Washington
Redskins and the New York Giants. The Eagles will need a win to hold their
share of first place since the Redskins and Giants face off at the
Meadowlands.

Picking up a win at Mile High, however, won't be easy, considering how low
the Broncos will go to make a block.

"That's just their strategy,'' Eagles defensive end ND Kalu said Friday.
"When an offensive lineman cuts a D-lineman it forces the D-lineman to bring
his hands down. That's what they want so their running backs can run right
past them while the D-linemen are worried about protecting themselves.''

A cut block, just in case you're wondering, is a style of block that calls
for an offensive lineman to take aim below an opponents' waist, often at
their knees. It's a legal maneuver, but just barely.

Four years ago a cut block by a Broncos lineman broke the leg of Patriots
linebacker Brian Cox. Last year another Bronco lineman used a cut block to
break the ankle of Cincinnati lineman Tony Williams.

The Broncos have been very successful using the scheme. Over the last 10
years Denver backs Terrell Davis, Orlandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Mike
Anderson and Ruben Droughns have all gained more than 1,000 yards.

"I don't think it's dirty,'' Kalu said. "I think it's a good strategy. It's
only dirty when they start cutting people from behind when they don't see
them coming, or when the D-lineman is engaged with someone else.''

The Broncos have been blasted by players, coaches and television announcers
for using the tactic. The Broncos say they don't go over the line and that
their style is perfectly legal under NFL rules.

Eagles defensive lineman Hollis Thomas agrees.

"They just do what they're coached to do,'' Thomas said. "And they do it
well. If you do something well there's going to be some critics, there's
going to be some people out there crying. I think it's a great scheme. If
you were on that team you'd think it was a great scheme, too.''

This year's starting offensive line - left tackle Matt Lepsis, left guard
Ben Hamilton, center Tom Nalen, right guard Cooper Carlisle and right tackle
George Foster - have helped Denver backs Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell gain
almost 1,000 yards combined this season.

Last week, the Eagles' defense held San Diego superstar LaDainian Tomlinson
to just seven yards. This week, though, their chore should be even tougher,
considering they'll be going up against one of the top O-lines in the league
and the most aggressive blocking scheme in the world.

"It's part of what they do and we are very conscious of it,'' Eagles
defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said earlier this week. "We work on it, we
practice on it and we try to get the most realistic picture at practice. The
biggest thing is making sure they (Eagles) use their hands and not get cut.
They have to protect their legs a little bit more."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-10292005-562112.html

WolfpackGuy
06-18-2010, 08:37 PM

By JEFF OFFORD
phillyBurbs.com

Great article considering the Broncos dropped almost 600 yards of pure hurt on the Eagles that game.

baja
06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I have been a passionate fan of the Broncos for almost 40 years (WOW)

I loved then when the cut block

I loved them when they let thugs wear the Orange & Blue

I remained a fan when Shanny's teams quit on him in the last years of his tenure.

I am so pleased with what Josh McDaniels is bringing to my Broncos. I am more excited about the Broncos than I have been since 1996 97 98.

Thanks Pat for bring back Broncos football.

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 08:49 PM

By JEFF OFFORD
phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA - Do they cheat, or are they really just better than everybody
else?

The Denver Broncos have annually fielded the most feared offensive line in
the National Football League. Feared in more ways than one, too.

Not always huge, the Broncos are always smart, strong, quick on their feet,
and sometimes a little dirty.

The Eagles face the Broncos at 4:15 p.m. Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile
High. The Eagles are 4-2 and tied atop the NFC East with both the Washington
Redskins and the New York Giants. The Eagles will need a win to hold their
share of first place since the Redskins and Giants face off at the
Meadowlands.

Picking up a win at Mile High, however, won't be easy, considering how low
the Broncos will go to make a block.

"That's just their strategy,'' Eagles defensive end ND Kalu said Friday.
"When an offensive lineman cuts a D-lineman it forces the D-lineman to bring
his hands down. That's what they want so their running backs can run right
past them while the D-linemen are worried about protecting themselves.''

A cut block, just in case you're wondering, is a style of block that calls
for an offensive lineman to take aim below an opponents' waist, often at
their knees. It's a legal maneuver, but just barely.

Four years ago a cut block by a Broncos lineman broke the leg of Patriots
linebacker Brian Cox. Last year another Bronco lineman used a cut block to
break the ankle of Cincinnati lineman Tony Williams.

The Broncos have been very successful using the scheme. Over the last 10
years Denver backs Terrell Davis, Orlandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Mike
Anderson and Ruben Droughns have all gained more than 1,000 yards.

"I don't think it's dirty,'' Kalu said. "I think it's a good strategy. It's

The Broncos have been blasted by players, coaches and television announcers

you were on that team you'd think it was a great scheme, too.''

This year's starting offensive line - left tackle Matt Lepsis, left guard
Ben Hamilton, center Tom Nalen, right guard Cooper Carlisle and right tackle
George Foster - have helped Denver backs Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell gain
almost 1,000 yards combined this season.

Last week, the Eagles' defense held San Diego superstar LaDainian Tomlinson
to just seven yards. This week, though, their chore should be even tougher,
considering they'll be going up against one of the top O-lines in the league
and the most aggressive blocking scheme in the world.

"It's part of what they do and we are very conscious of it,'' Eagles
defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said earlier this week. "We work on it, we
practice on it and we try to get the most realistic picture at practice. The
biggest thing is making sure they (Eagles) use their hands and not get cut.
They have to protect their legs a little bit more."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-10292005-562112.html

:strong:

I still don't see how this "...is what the D players and the league was concerned about."

I do see a fluff piece from an opponents home town paper. LOL

baja
06-18-2010, 08:51 PM
he Broncos have been blasted by players, coaches and television announcers

Like I said it was a quick search if you want more google it.

baja
06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
There is a unpopular blocking style called a chop. Over time chop blocks have been tagged as "dirty" by most coaches and opponents. A chop is really effective and if performed right it can shut down a defender. No chop should ever be attempted with a mean purpose to wound any kid. Please make certain you get verification from the league rules, allowing chop blocks.

Offensive lineman will use a chop, or cut blocking style. A cut, or chop is a block that is hit below the waist of the defender(i.e., from the front of the defensive player) in an attempt to bring the defenders to ground, making them unable to pursue a running back for the short time needed for the back to find a gap in the defense. The reason this technique is frowned upon is because if the offensive lineman hits the defenders in the knees, he can hurt him.

The San Francisco 49ers of the 1980s and early in the 1990's were famous for their cut technique(and leg-whipping blocking techniques, which is not legal), a maneuver that was ultimately used in the mid-90's by the NFL's Denver Broncos. The Denver Broncos gained a level of fame by using their cut-blocking style (often named a malicious play by other teams) which produced the NFL's top rushing offense for over ten years, but likewise resulted in many defensive football opponents of the Broncos getting injured by the cut blocks. In a Monday Night Football game back in 2004, defensive tackle Tony Williams of the Cincinnati Bengals was injured for the year after a cut block (by the Broncos lineman George Foster), and in 2005, Jacksonville Jaguars defensive guard Paul Spicer was severely hurt on a cut block by Broncos lineman Matt Lepsis. The Broncos responded to these complaints when Mike Shanahan held a public film study, in 2004, showing that all the teams in the NFL use some form of a chop, or cut block technique.

As you can see from the above paragraph, there is a great controversy in the NFL regarding cut blocking, so please make sure if you do decide to teach cut blocking to your youth football team you use caution. It is important to show only safe, legal techniques for such a potential dangerous block. We use a simple, yet safe rule regarding chop blocks. Only if you are getting beat, and you can remain on all fours, you can crab block. Our coaches have all players drive, or crab on all fours into the defender.

http://articlesbusiness.com/Art/21495/52/The-Cut-Block-Reviewed-for-Youth-Football.html

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Like I said it was a quick search if you want more google it.

Dude, I can pull a quote from the article saying:

'"I don't think it's dirty,'' Kalu said. "I think it's a good strategy. It's

The Broncos have been blasted by players, coaches and television announcers for using the tactic. The Broncos say they don't go over the line and that their style is perfectly legal under NFL rules.

you were on that team you'd think it was a great scheme, too.'''

It's a none story. Every team in the NFL cut blocks and zone blocks. The teams that win SBs are the ones that garner a special perspective. That perspective is "we suck, so we are gonna make excuses for why the Broncos dropped two bills on us...."

baja
06-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Dude, I can pull a quote from the article saying:

'"I don't think it's dirty,'' Kalu said. "I think it's a good strategy. It's

The Broncos have been blasted by players, coaches and television announcers for using the tactic. The Broncos say they don't go over the line and that their style is perfectly legal under NFL rules.

you were on that team you'd think it was a great scheme, too.'''

It's a none story. Every team in the NFL cut blocks and zone blocks. The teams that win SBs are the ones that garner a special perspective. That perspective is "we suck, so we are gonna make excuses for why the Broncos dropped two bills on us...."

I suppose that is why it is considered controversial

My only point is I am glad we have moved to a power blocking scheme. Is that going to be OK with you?

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 09:02 PM
There is a unpopular blocking style called a chop. Over time chop blocks have been tagged as "dirty" by most coaches and opponents. A chop is really effective and if performed right it can shut down a defender. No chop should ever be attempted with a mean purpose to wound any kid. Please make certain you get verification from the league rules, allowing chop blocks.

Offensive lineman will use a chop, or cut blocking style. A cut, or chop is a block that is hit below the waist of the defender(i.e., from the front of the defensive player) in an attempt to bring the defenders to ground, making them unable to pursue a running back for the short time needed for the back to find a gap in the defense. The reason this technique is frowned upon is because if the offensive lineman hits the defenders in the knees, he can hurt him.

The San Francisco 49ers of the 1980s and early in the 1990's were famous for their cut technique(and leg-whipping blocking techniques, which is not legal), a maneuver that was ultimately used in the mid-90's by the NFL's Denver Broncos. The Denver Broncos gained a level of fame by using their cut-blocking style (often named a malicious play by other teams) which produced the NFL's top rushing offense for over ten years, but likewise resulted in many defensive football opponents of the Broncos getting injured by the cut blocks. In a Monday Night Football game back in 2004, defensive tackle Tony Williams of the Cincinnati Bengals was injured for the year after a cut block (by the Broncos lineman George Foster), and in 2005, Jacksonville Jaguars defensive guard Paul Spicer was severely hurt on a cut block by Broncos lineman Matt Lepsis. The Broncos responded to these complaints when Mike Shanahan held a public film study, in 2004, showing that all the teams in the NFL use some form of a chop, or cut block technique.

As you can see from the above paragraph, there is a great controversy in the NFL regarding cut blocking, so please make sure if you do decide to teach cut blocking to your youth football team you use caution. It is important to show only safe, legal techniques for such a potential dangerous block. We use a simple, yet safe rule regarding chop blocks. Only if you are getting beat, and you can remain on all fours, you can crab block. Our coaches have all players drive, or crab on all fours into the defender.

http://articlesbusiness.com/Art/21495/52/The-Cut-Block-Reviewed-for-Youth-Football.html

I still don't see any players or NFL execs complaining. But keep searching and I think you'll find that the 49ers and Broncos won a lot of games during this time frame...

baja
06-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I still don't see any players or NFL execs complaining. But keep searching and I think you'll find that the 49ers and Broncos won a lot of games during this time frame...

I am sure you will

"Just win baby"

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I suppose that is why it is considered controversial

My only point is I am glad we have moved to a power blocking scheme. Is that going to be OK with you?

Not when you whine so much.

baja
06-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Not when you whine so much.

It's pretty clear why posters like my friend Blue don't post that much any more. She probably thinks she can catch a case of stupid by sharing a thread with some of you guys.

Tombstone RJ
06-18-2010, 09:13 PM
It's pretty clear why posters like my friend Blue don't post that much any more. She probably thinks she can catch a case of stupid by sharing a thread with some of you newer guys.

Doesn't blue just hate McD? I know your more tenured than me but not by much. The quality of posters here is directly proportional to those who are enthusiastic about the team and those who simply want to bitch. Also, winning has a lot to do with quality posters. We are in down times because Shanny brought the team to the solid mediocrity and questionable character, plus Elway and Sharpe and McAff and Smith and Zimm and many other players all retired or left, and Shanny just couldn't seem to find good players to replace these characters.

Now, oh my, a young guy with great ideas is rebuilding the team and people are scared, hence, more crap posting.

Sorry if I'm a little too sick and tired of negative crap. My bad. :peace:

baja
06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Doesn't blue just hate McD? I know your more tenured than me but not by much. The quality of posters here is directly proportional to those who are enthusiastic about the team and those who simply want to b****. Also, winning has a lot to do with quality posters. We are in down times because Shanny brought the team to the solid mediocrity and questionable character, plus Elway and Sharpe and McAff and Smith and Zimm and many other players all retired or left, and Shanny just couldn't seem to find good players to replace these characters.

Now, oh my, a young guy with great ideas is rebuilding the team and people are scared, hence, more crap posting.

I took out the word "newer" and I wasn't really responding to you only. Actually I really don't have a beef with you.

I guess I miss all the fun we used to have around here. There was a time when there was no off season here.

baja
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Doesn't blue just hate McD? I know your more tenured than me but not by much. The quality of posters here is directly proportional to those who are enthusiastic about the team and those who simply want to b****. Also, winning has a lot to do with quality posters. We are in down times because Shanny brought the team to the solid mediocrity and questionable character, plus Elway and Sharpe and McAff and Smith and Zimm and many other players all retired or left, and Shanny just couldn't seem to find good players to replace these characters.

I don't know why you would call me a whiner then because I have the same opinion you reflect in this quoted post.

Dagmar
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
It's pretty clear why posters like my friend Blue don't post that much any more. She probably thinks she can catch a case of stupid by sharing a thread with some of you guys.

lol, says the guys who sing's mock's praises at every opportunity.

"you tube video"? Must post!

"USA Today picture" Must post!

baja
06-18-2010, 10:34 PM

You assume that what you think matters to me.

I'll take a Mock rant over one of your cut and paste giffs any day Mr. Original.

baja
06-18-2010, 10:35 PM

You have no idea how vastly inferior you are to the posters that your crowd have run off.

HAT
06-18-2010, 11:00 PM
You have no idea how vastly inferior you are to the posters that your crowd have run off.

:bs:

strafen
06-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Looking at OUR team from a different perspective than YOURS, doesn't necessarily translate into bitching or being negative.
There's always room for debate if you choose to prove somebody's point of view wrong. Until then, you'll be just bitching...

Flex Gunmetal
06-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Looking at OUR team from a different perspective than YOURS, doesn't necessarily translate into b****ing or being negative.
There's always room for debate if you choose to prove somebody's point of view wrong. Until then, you'll be just b****ing...

I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt, because you are a whiney little b!tch whenever someone will listen.

Paladin
06-19-2010, 09:57 AM

I call BS on this. The entire site went to h3ll since the Cutler/Plummer crap. That was followed by the haters over the McD/Quitler deals and the later purging of the locker room of whiners and slackers. Haters got so bad, the atmosphere around here was pure poison. Still is to a lesser extant. There still is a group of smartarses and wiseguys who think that being insultive is funny, and there seems to be a cadre of fools who post foolish crap for attention.... Your posts carry the stink of sarcasm and a chippy attitude that prevents any sort of rational discussion. Frankly, I think you should have stayed "gone".

If you look at other sites, you will find that fewer people are posting. Sites that have good policies around posting etiquette and provide decent information are more popular, now. MHR and MaxDenver will surpass the Mane before long because people want to talk about the Broncos and related football, and not the junk that shows up here. Certainly, they don't need crap and bs. Free speech means free to post shyte. There are perhaps 6 to ten people who actualy post decent stuff here. Otherwise, it is a cognitive desert.

Anonimity does not mean you hae to be an arse. Some people are because ....well. because they are......

baja
06-19-2010, 10:19 AM
I call BS on this. The entire site went to h3ll since the Cutler/Plummer crap. That was followed by the haters over the McD/Quitler deals and the later purging of the locker room of whiners and slackers. Haters got so bad, the atmosphere around here was pure poison. Still is to a lesser extant. There still is a group of smartarses and wiseguys who think that being insultive is funny, and there seems to be a cadre of fools who post foolish crap for attention.... Your posts carry the stink of sarcasm and a chippy attitude that prevents any sort of rational discussion. Frankly, I think you should have stayed "gone".

If you look at other sites, you will find that fewer people are posting. Sites that have good policies around posting etiquette and provide decent information are more popular, now. MHR and MaxDenver will surpass the Mane before long because people want to talk about the Broncos and related football, and not the junk that shows up here. Certainly, they don't need crap and bs. Free speech means free to post shyte. There are perhaps 6 to ten people who actualy post decent stuff here. Otherwise, it is a cognitive desert.

Anonimity does not mean you hae to be an arse. Some people are because ....well. because they are......

My chippy attitude comes from having to defend my personal life instead of my football takes.

Go back to before you got here and read some posts (mine & others) you will find a very different climate here. It was like a viral family. You are right I have become a smart ass here. I have become the poster you describe out of defense. It's like someone has shiit in the pool and everyone must react to the new circumstances.

As for you I really don't remember what you position is on anything football or otherwise.

If you just want to be spoon fed football news may I suggest the Denver Post.

Getting rid of me is not going make you life here any better. Try participating.

Take this thread for example. I make a statement that I really like Josh's make over of the Broncos and get to read that I am a whiny bitche because I hold that opinion.

Dagmar
06-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt, because you are a whiney little b!tch whenever someone will listen.

Without a doubt the worst thing anyone ever said to me the was the other day when Taco told me it was close between me and dragster for worst member. dragstster makes the baby jesus cry...

baja
06-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Without a doubt the worst thing anyone ever said to me the was the other day when Taco told me it was close between me and dragster for worst member. dragstster makes the baby jesus cry...

I don't think TJ would say that to you. It's not his style.

Dagmar
06-19-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't think TJ would say that to you. It's not his style.

Sorry, why do I care about mock-lite baja?

Sorry, biggest whiner he said.

I cut you more slack than I cut anybody on this forum and take a lot of crap for it. I shouldn't though. You've taken advantage of it and have turned into the biggest whiner on the forum (Between you and Dragster)

Just after he told me to give anti-freeze to my dog.

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=92290

baja
06-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Your link doesn't take you to the anti-freeze post

Dagmar
06-19-2010, 10:47 AM
It takes you to a ****ing thread baja. Your scroll button broken?

Wasn't my point, he made it clear it was a sick joke I didn't get as I don't frequent Chiefs Planet. I was just clarifying the boss's opinion of me. There's no coming back from that for me!

DBroncos4life
06-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Jesus man I haven't been here in god knows how long and you are still crying. I don't think Taco is that far off in what he said.

Flex Gunmetal
06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
baja roots against children with leukemia.

sisterhellfyre
06-19-2010, 10:50 AM

I just deal with it by not reading past the third page of any football thread. That's about how long it takes to derail the thread into a pissing match with all the same people throwing the same mud at each other for the how-many-hundredth time. Pfui.

(Once in a while I check back on a football thread to see if it has somehow magically gotten back on topic. Happens occasionally, but not often... so I saw your post and wanted to reply.)

Dagmar
06-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Jesus man I haven't been here in god knows how long and you are still crying. I don't think Taco is that far off in what he said.

Never understand why the ignore feature scares you so much. This is entertaining as all hell for me. There is nothing happening here! :welcome:

:thumbsup:

Flex Gunmetal
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
baja does twice the speed limit in his ice cream truck.

baja
06-19-2010, 10:54 AM
It takes you to a ****ing thread baja. Your scroll button broken?

Wasn't my point, he made it clear it was a sick joke I didn't get as I don't frequent Chiefs Planet. I was just clarifying the boss's opinion of me. There's no coming back from that for me!

I honestly don't know what you are talking about.

baja
06-19-2010, 10:57 AM
baja does twice the speed limit in his ice cream truck.

And I take a bite out of every cone before I sell it also I short change the blind kids.

Flex Gunmetal
06-19-2010, 10:58 AM
baja didn't know that was your girl, bro.

baja
06-19-2010, 11:03 AM
baja didn't know that was your girl, bro.

Maybe I'm having a CRS day but I don't get this post either.

DBroncos4life
06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Never understand why the ignore feature scares you so much. This is entertaining as all hell for me. There is nothing happening here! :welcome:

:thumbsup:

says the person that put me on ignore and took me off of it.

HAT
06-19-2010, 11:39 AM
I call BS on this. The entire site went to h3ll since the Cutler/Plummer crap. That was followed by the haters over the McD/Quitler deals and the later purging of the locker room of whiners and slackers.

Lack of proper, unbiased moderation has contributed greatly to what the Mane is today.

With Blue's hatred of all things Patriot Past & SoCal's meltdown over McD/Cutler/Orton....It's only logical that:

#1) Agendas would start to show
#2) They would post less, and therefore, Mod less

It really shouldn't be that hard to find 3-4 new unbiased Mods willing to take out the trash here. 3 weekday Mods in 6 hour shifts & a weekender would do the trick.

As for Rusty/Dag...Why in the hell would anyone complain to TJ about him?

Popps
06-19-2010, 11:40 AM
All this bickering, and no talk about the competition for the punting job in camp.

jhns
06-19-2010, 12:03 PM
jhn, you wouldn't be impressed if Josh won 5 SBs in a row .... cant afford to be. Not to mention you're obviously too deficient in testosterone and oxytocin to have a positive comment about much of anything. :sunshine:

That is a pretty rude post. I don't think we can be friends any more.

HAT
06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
All this bickering, and no talk about the competition for the punting job in camp.

I heard Colquitt had it locked up?

OABB
06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
This place rocks. Im sick of the bashing of it. Where else can you go to beat a joke to death, argue politics, imigration, beating up black women, living off the sun only, vegetable enemas, rev humping a lobster, tebow as Christ, soccer sucking, hixons superpowers, popps hitler posts, etc. Etc.

This place is the only place on the Internet as far as I'm concerned. Well that and porn of course.

I just would like to tell anyone bashing this place to go eat a huge dick.

Thank you, that is all.

By the way, has anyone heard wheter or not colquit has locked up the punting job?

Fonecin ghostbusters watching douchebags.

baja
06-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Errr How do you give a vegetable an enema?

HAT
06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
this place rocks. Im sick of the bashing of it. Where else can you go to beat a joke to death, argue politics, imigration, beating up black women, living off the sun only, vegetable enemas, rev humping a lobster, tebow as christ, soccer sucking, hixons superpowers, popps hitler posts, etc. Etc.

This place is the only place on the internet as far as i'm concerned. Well that and porn of course.

Thank you, that is all.

By the way, has anyone heard wheter or not colquit has locked up the punting job?

Fonecin ghostbusters watching douchebags.

+1000

Popps
06-19-2010, 01:48 PM
I heard Colquitt had it locked up?

Intriguing.

But, camp is just starting and that begs the question...

Tombstone RJ
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Looking at OUR team from a different perspective than YOURS, doesn't necessarily translate into b****ing or being negative.
There's always room for debate if you choose to prove somebody's point of view wrong. Until then, you'll be just b****ing...

Well then offer something constructive dragster. You're great at pointing out every mistake of the current team yet you are not football savvy enough to offer any real insight. You and other negative nancys can pull stats out and complain about how this supposedly great Broncos' franchise (which is a TOTAL MYTH THE LAST 10 YEARS) is in the crapper because McD didn't do what you wanted.

OABB
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Errr How do you give a vegetable an enema?

you just lean him over his wheelchair, duh.

OABB
06-19-2010, 01:55 PM
intriguing.

But, camp is just starting and that begs the question...

sisterhellfyre
06-19-2010, 04:25 PM

I prefer huge dicks lightly grilled, with mushrooms, onions and spicy mustard on the side. Are you volunteering?

(J/K. Mostly.)

Blueflame
06-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Lack of proper, unbiased moderation has contributed greatly to what the Mane is today.

With Blue's hatred of all things Patriot Past & SoCal's meltdown over McD/Cutler/Orton....It's only logical that:

#1) Agendas would start to show
#2) They would post less, and therefore, Mod less

It really shouldn't be that hard to find 3-4 new unbiased Mods willing to take out the trash here. 3 weekday Mods in 6 hour shifts & a weekender would do the trick.

As for Rusty/Dag...Why in the hell would anyone complain to TJ about him?

Since when is "loving the Patriots" a necessary prerequisite for being a Broncos fan... or a moderator on a Broncos message board? I could understand criticism for Patriot-bashing on Patriots Planet... but this ain't Patriots Planet; it's the Orange Mane. And what's it to you if I do hate the Pats? My personal opinions are nobody's business but my own... and I find the suggestion that "anti-Patriot bias" affects my moderator duties to be quite offensive. In fact, I'd like to see an example of when you think it did. It's "put up or shut up" time...

As for the "less-moderating" claim... during the lull between the draft and opening of training camp, there's really not much that needs to be done. Virtually no Broncos news means little to discuss/disagree about. And good luck finding any human being who totally lacks any sort of bias. They don't exist.

At any rate, the boss man says we will have a couple of new mods in the near future.

elsid13
06-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Since when is "loving the Patriots" a necessary prerequisite for being a Broncos fan... or a moderator on a Broncos message board? I could understand criticism for Patriot-bashing on Patriots Planet... but this ain't Patriots Planet; it's the Orange Mane. And what's it to you if I do hate the Pats? My personal opinions are nobody's business but my own... and I find the suggestion that "anti-Patriot bias" affects my moderator duties to be quite offensive. In fact, I'd like to see an example of when you think it did. It's "put up or shut up" time...

As for the "less-moderating" claim... during the lull between the draft and opening of training camp, there's really not much that needs to be done. Virtually no Broncos news means little to discuss/disagree about. And good luck finding any human being who totally lacks any sort of bias. They don't exist.

At any rate, the boss man says we will have a couple of new mods in the near future.

my vote is for Oleg

Popps
06-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Since when is "loving the Patriots" a necessary prerequisite for being a Broncos fan... or a moderator on a Broncos message board?

It's not.

However, not hating specific Broncos and coaches just because they happen to have had NFL careers before becoming Broncos IS a prerequisite.

You're living in the past.

The rest of us are embracing our new coach, our new system and hopefully a successful future.

TheReverend
06-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Uh oh

baja
06-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I nominate Mock...

Blueflame
06-19-2010, 08:06 PM
It's not.

However, not hating specific Broncos and coaches just because they happen to have had NFL careers before becoming Broncos IS a prerequisite.

The rest of us are embracing our new coach, our new system and hopefully a successful future.

No. Every fan... even message board moderators... is allowed to form and express their own personal opinions. Believe it or not, football team owners and front offices have been known to make mistakes in the past (see: Oakland Raiders as a prime example) and some of those mistakes have been very costly to the team itself; resulting in some cases in near-decade-long timeframes of losing records. Fans absolutely are not required to fully and unquestioningly embrace each and every move that a team owner or front office (or coach) makes.

It's a fact that no Belichick assistant has yet succeeded in their first HC gig (they've all been fired) and if Josh McDaniels does, he'll be the first. For me, that "big picture" is reason enough for wishing that Bowlen had gone for a more experienced HC... or at least one from a different "coaching tree".

Noteworthy is this: you say I'm "living in the past"... but it wasn't me who hijacked this thread off its original topic and into a focus on "ancient history"... in the effort to criticize opinions posted well over a year ago (both mine and SoCal's) and slam the Mane's moderating team in the process.

OABB
06-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Hogan11
06-19-2010, 08:35 PM

I may actually take the job this time around. God help you all.

strafen
06-19-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt, because you are a whiney little b!tch whenever someone will listen.Prove it!
And BTW, posts like this from you is what's typical here in the Mane.
you have this false sense of entitlement that you just want to prove somebody wrong via insults and name calling and think you're totally cool.
Grow up and move on!

strafen
06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Well then offer something constructive dragster. You're great at pointing out every mistake of the current team yet you are not football savvy enough to offer any real insight. You and other negative nancys can pull stats out and complain about how this supposedly great Broncos' franchise (which is a TOTAL MYTH THE LAST 10 YEARS) is in the crapper because McD didn't do what you wanted.Not savvy enough?
Most of the stuff I've criticized were about last years draft; Moreno, Quinn, Smith, the signing of players like Ty Law, Mitch Berger, LaMont Jordan, the mishandling of players available in our offense that could've helped us, which eventually came back to backfire on Mcd as our offense regressed evidenced by the fact that we had a top-ten defense and failed to make the play-offs after starting 6-0.

Those are the type of insights I don't need to point out to you, as they were part of the reality of how things went last year.

That's my perspective. Do you now think I'm being negative?
Do I need to find excuses to justify last year's debacle so I can be considered a great poster?
Come on!

montrose
06-19-2010, 10:09 PM
It's not.

Bingo. Geese Popps without you this board would be a ****ing train wreck.

Josh McDaniels, Mike Shanahan and Dan Reeves had careers with the Patriots, Raiders and Cowboys - three teams I couldn't stand then and can't stand today - and that has NO BEARING on how they judge them as Denver Broncos.

errand
06-20-2010, 03:23 AM

.....not to mention this board also had posters claiming you are the "worst coach ever"

also any truth to TJ's belief that Peyton Hillis was a 5 tool player whose immense talent you simply chose to ignore in order to play a fat 1st pick of yours?

errand
06-20-2010, 03:27 AM

If .500 isn't what you consider "winning" ten pray tell why the love for former coach who went .500 over his last three years? Not to mention this new guy you disagree with so much dumped a starting QB who had won less than .500 of games he started.

Blueflame
06-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Bingo. Geese Popps without you this board would be a ****ing train wreck.

Josh McDaniels, Mike Shanahan and Dan Reeves had careers with the Patriots, Raiders and Cowboys - three teams I couldn't stand then and can't stand today - and that has NO BEARING on how they judge them as Denver Broncos.

Geese? Ganders.... going by the Popps "coach is always right" stance, every Broncos fan should have been thrilled that Reeves drafted Maddox and tried to trade away Elway... by trading Elway, he could have gotten quite a few draft picks, after all.

When did it become controversial to second-guess a coach? I recall plenty of criticism of Shanahan. And Phillips. And Reeves. But it's suddenly validation for "revocation of your Broncos fan card" if one happens to hate the Patriots (and has for years... guess I should have paid Miss Cleo $$ to have known that someday Pat Bowlen would hire a former Patriot assistant and that Patriot-love would be the hallmark of a "good fan").... go figure.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. I'm still gonna intensely dislike the Patriots even if other Broncos fans choose to launch ad hominem attacks because of it. :pfbbt:

With that, I'm done with this thread.

errand
06-20-2010, 04:49 AM
evidenced by the fact that we had a top-ten defense and failed to make the play-offs after starting 6-0.

How many top ranked d's surrender almost 300 yard rushing to an opposing RB? Not to mention they gave up like 8 points a game in that 6-0 run...and almost 30 points a game afterwards. Face it we didn't have the horses to win anymore than we won....but i believe we're headed in the right direction.

colonelbeef
06-20-2010, 08:54 AM
How many top ranked d's surrender almost 300 yard rushing to an opposing RB? Not to mention they gave up like 8 points a game in that 6-0 run...and almost 30 points a game afterwards. Face it we didn't have the horses to win anymore than we won....but i believe we're headed in the right direction.

Are you really blaming the defense for last years' collapse?

Did you watch any of the games, or are you just guessing?

OABB
06-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Geese? Ganders.... going by the Popps "coach is always right" stance, every Broncos fan should have been thrilled that Reeves drafted Maddox and tried to trade away Elway... by trading Elway, he could have gotten quite a few draft picks, after all.

When did it become controversial to second-guess a coach? I recall plenty of criticism of Shanahan. And Phillips. And Reeves. But it's suddenly validation for "revocation of your Broncos fan card" if one happens to hate the Patriots (and has for years... guess I should have paid Miss Cleo $$ to have known that someday Pat Bowlen would hire a former Patriot assistant and that Patriot-love would be the hallmark of a "good fan").... go figure.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. I'm still gonna intensely dislike the Patriots even if other Broncos fans choose to launch ad hominem attacks because of it. :pfbbt:

With that, I'm done with this thread.

How is it that you don't get this? Being critical of a coach is fine as long as it is motivated by football knowlege and basic logical skills. If being critical is based off something as stupid as what team you came from than you are not being "critical" you are being obsessive. This is why I always post fatal attraction pics after your patriot rants. You sound like a spurned lover for Christ sakes.

Grow up and get over it allready. You are embarrassing yourself.

montrose
06-20-2010, 10:05 AM

Who said Popps is always right? I said the board would be a train wreck without him.

What a short-sighted and immature statement. It isn't controversial at all to second guess a coach. In fact, I think it's becoming controversial to support one! Who in the world said it was validation for "revocation of your Broncos fan card if you hate the Patriots? I ****ing hate the Patriots, I can't stand anything that comes out of that ****ing town and I'm willing to wager I hate that team more than just about anyone. If the state of Massachusetts floated off into the Atlantic I'd throw a damn parade and **** on Red Sox nation in the process.

With all that, hating the New England Patriots does not mean you have to blindly dislike Josh McDaniels - he's not a Patriot, he's a Bronco. Mike Shanahan was an Oakland Raider, and a San Francisco 49er. Dan Reeves was a Dallas Cowboy. You can hate those teams too and still like or love the jobs that Reeves and Shanahan did here. Coaches are going to gather experience with all types of organizations before taking over a team. Josh McDaniels is not the first, nor will he be the last, coach to run a team based on the principles of a team-first/good character/physical squad built from the inside out. Question his or any other coaches moves? Absolutly. But question and dislike the moves he makes for this franchise solely - and I mean solely - based on where he came before here is not only short-sighted, but immature and irresponsible for a moderator of this forum.

baja
06-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Who said Popps is always right? I said the board would be a train wreck without him.

What a short-sighted and immature statement. It isn't controversial at all to second guess a coach. In fact, I think it's becoming controversial to support one! Who in the world said it was validation for "revocation of your Broncos fan card if you hate the Patriots? I ****ing hate the Patriots, I can't stand anything that comes out of that ****ing town and I'm willing to wager I hate that team more than just about anyone. If the state of Massachusetts floated off into the Atlantic I'd throw a damn parade and **** on Red Sox nation in the process.

With all that, hating the New England Patriots does not mean you have to blindly dislike Josh McDaniels - he's not a Patriot, he's a Bronco. Mike Shanahan was an Oakland Raider, and a San Francisco 49er. Dan Reeves was a Dallas Cowboy. You can hate those teams too and still like or love the jobs that Reeves and Shanahan did here. Coaches are going to gather experience with all types of organizations before taking over a team. Josh McDaniels is not the first, nor will he be the last, coach to run a team based on the principles of a team-first/good character/physical squad built from the inside out. Question his or any other coaches moves? Absolutly. But question and dislike the moves he makes for this franchise solely - and I mean solely - based on where he came before here is not only short-sighted, but immature and irresponsible for a moderator of this forum.

Unfortunately I don't have cause to say this much any more but that was an excellent post Montrose.

errand
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Are you really blaming the defense for last years' collapse?
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2867725
Did you watch any of the games, or are you just guessing?

Let's see, they gave up 117 points in the first 4 game losing streak...an average of almost 30 And they gave up 108 points (i won't count the two pick six's Orton tossed) in the final 4 game losing streak...an average of 27 points per game. What was I thinking?

Cito Pelon
06-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Let's see, they gave up 117 points in the first 4 game losing streak...an average of almost 30 And they gave up 108 points (i won't count the two pick six's Orton tossed) in the final 4 game losing streak...an average of 27 points per game. What was I thinking?

You were apparently thinking you were debating with Albert Einstein when in fact you were debating with Homer Simpson.

CEH
06-20-2010, 12:53 PM
If you only count defensive TDs over the last 10 games the defense gave up 22.3 points per game. A very respectable number. Balt , Wash and Pitts all scored a TD againt the offense or Special teams.

1st and goal at the 2 for a chance to go to the playoffs. That is my main sticking point with the entire season. Time and time agian The offense couldn't convert short yardage otherwise Denver would have been a playoff team

_Oro_
06-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Which is why we went out and got some meat on the O-line (albeit young meat) and we went out and got tebowner. Hopefully we'll start converting those 2 yards for tds.

strafen
06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Let's see, they gave up 117 points in the first 4 game losing streak...an average of almost 30 And they gave up 108 points (i won't count the two pick six's Orton tossed) in the final 4 game losing streak...an average of 27 points per game. What was I thinking?Just the defense?
Can you take a look at Moreno's and Orton's numbers during the same stretch?
You'll find a decline in efficiency there as well...

HAT
06-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Just the defense?
Can you take a look at Moreno's and Orton's numbers during the same stretch?
You'll find a decline in efficiency there as well...

Another draghns7 FAIL.....(Big shock)

When you compare 1st half / 2nd half stats...Orton was remarkably consistent. His numbers did drop but only by a hair and that is to be expected since the ankle injury happened in game #9.

1st 8 games: 88.2 QBR, 63.2%, 1838 yards, 6.8 Y/A, 9 TD, 4 INT, 13 sacks
2nd 8 games: 85.5 QBR, 61.0%, 1964 yards, 7.2 Y/A, 12 TD, 8 INT, 16 sacks
(missed the equivalent of 1 game, mind you)

Also worth noting that Orton posted his highest QBR, TD's in a game & yards in a game....All in the 2nd half of the season.

Moreno?????

1st 8: 423 yards, 3.7 YPC, 2 TD, 3 fumbles
2nd 8: 524 yards, 3.9 YPC, 5 TD, 1 fumble

Let's throw B-marsh in for good measure.....

1st 8: 44 Rec, 468 yards, 4TD
2nd 8: 57 Rec, 652 yards, 6TD (DNP in game 16 mind you)

Offense as a whole.....

1st 8: 23.6 PPG
2nd 8: 22 PPG
(The majority of the 2nd half injuries were on the offensive side of the ball, mind you)

Defense:
1st 8: 15.5 PPG
2nd 8: 25 PPG

BroncoBuff
06-21-2010, 03:34 AM
You have no idea how vastly inferior you are to the posters that your crowd have run off..
Anybody who's weak enough to be "run off" wasn't worth having around anyway.

hambone13
06-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Anybody who's weak enough to be "run off" wasn't worth having around anyway.

I agree with the general premise of your thought but I don't post nearly as much as I might if I wasn't worried about getting verbally gang raped in the High School cafeteria of the McPiranha. There are many that collectively changed their screen names for crying out loud. Football being a team sport which requires collective thought to a certain degree, does not a fan base make. This is a fan board. The Mane use to be a place to consistently have intelligent conversation about the Denver Broncos, with some great humor, tons of sarcasm reflecting highly differing opinions and some good healthy verbal locker room style debate about the stats, news and their interpretation. Often, of late it feels like the old school cool kids vs. everyone that doesn't agree with them. If one doesn't provide significant insight into their option with statistics, highly precise execution of the English language (including justification of their position through provable news sources and a theme that falls in line with the cool kids) it's a feeding fest w/o aspects of humanity as rudimentary as Temple Grandin has proven to be effective for slaughtering cattle. We're slowly walking down the stairway to OM Fandom hell.

Let the grammar freaks role in....

strafen
06-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Another assHAT FAIL.....(Big shock)

When you compare 1st half / 2nd half stats...Orton was remarkably consistent. His numbers did drop but only by a hair and that is to be expected since the ankle injury happened in game #9.

1st 8 games: 88.2 QBR, 63.2%, 1838 yards, 6.8 Y/A, 9 TD, 4 INT, 13 sacks
2nd 8 games: 85.5 QBR, 61.0%, 1964 yards, 7.2 Y/A, 12 TD, 8 INT, 16 sacks
(missed the equivalent of 1 game, mind you)

Also worth noting that Orton posted his highest QBR, TD's in a game & yards in a game....All in the 2nd half of the season.

Moreno?????

1st 8: 423 yards, 3.7 YPC, 2 TD, 3 fumbles
2nd 8: 524 yards, 3.9 YPC, 5 TD, 1 fumble

Let's throw B-marsh in for good measure.....

1st 8: 44 Rec, 468 yards, 4TD
2nd 8: 57 Rec, 652 yards, 6TD (DNP in game 16 mind you)

Offense as a whole.....

1st 8: 23.6 PPG
2nd 8: 22 PPG
(The majority of the 2nd half injuries were on the offensive side of the ball, mind you)

Defense:
1st 8: 15.5 PPG
2nd 8: 25 PPGAnother assHAT FAIL.....(Big shock)

Just because Orton played hurt does not render my point that the offense declined, moot.
There was still a decline as you even admitted, but since yoiu're trying to justify it, I guess it never happened, or we should ignore the facts huh:thumbsup:.
and while you're there, we're discussing the 6-0 start numbers and the 2-8 finish. That's what you need to focus on and post. Not the first half against the second half.
Try again!

crush17
06-21-2010, 09:23 AM

This post is incredible.

jhns
06-21-2010, 09:46 AM
If .500 isn't what you consider "winning" ten pray tell why the love for former coach who went .500 over his last three years?

The better question is why is this even a question? Or, how can you be a Bronco fan and not love Shanahan?

Let's see, he won 2 SBs. He won the only two SBs this team has in fact. This team was also top 5 in wins over his decade and a half here.

I really don't understand how some can dislike him and his ways so much....

Hogan11
06-21-2010, 09:51 AM
The better question is why is this even a question? Or, how can you be a Bronco fan and not love Shanahan?

Let's see, he won 2 SBs. He won the only two SBs this team has in fact. This team was also top 5 in wins over his decade and a half here.

Because loving the Denver Broncos does not mean you have to blindly love Mike Shanahan - he's not a Bronco, he's a Redskin. Ha!

Hogan11
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
This is a fan board. The Mane use to be a place to consistently have intelligent conversation about the Denver Broncos, with some great humor, tons of sarcasm reflecting highly differing opinions and some good healthy verbal locker room style debate about the stats, news and their interpretation.

"Intelligent conversation" and "Good healthy verbal locker room style debate" are contradictory terms.

jhns
06-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Because loving the Denver Broncos does not mean you have to blindly love Mike Shanahan - he's not a Bronco, he's a Redskin. Ha!

Yes it does.

This blasphemy about him not being a Bronco should get you banned from the stadium. Shanahan will always be a Bronco. He will be in the HOF for what he did with this team.

Hogan11
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes it does.

This blasphemy about him not being a Bronco should get you banned from the stadium. Shanahan will always be a Bronco. He will be in the HOF for what he did with this team.

It was a pun on a previous post, I'm not surprised it totally escaped you.

jhns
06-21-2010, 10:20 AM

I guess it would help if everyone read every post...

Anyways, you act like I was being serious. I will be sending Bowlen my "respect Shanahan or gtfo" ideas very soon.

Drek
06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes it does.

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID34492/images/100106134325resized_1.jpg

bowtown
06-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Anyways, you act like I was being serious. I will be sending Bowlen my "respect Shanahan or gtfo" ideas very soon.

And I'm sure he will promptly file them under G for Garbage.

Irish Stout
06-21-2010, 10:22 AM

And I'm sure he'll read every single one of them.

jhns
06-21-2010, 10:25 AM
And I'm sure he'll read every single one of them.

He won't have to. They are on an audio tape. Like I would waste his time by making him read. Rich people don't read.

jhns
06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
And I'm sure he will promptly file them under G for Garbage.

G for Greatness...

Irish Stout
06-21-2010, 10:30 AM
He won't have to. They are on an audio tape. Like I would waste his time by making him read. Rich people don't read.

Will he have to gtfo since he clearly didn't respect Shanny when he fired him?

jhns
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Will he have to gtfo since he clearly didn't respect Shanny when he fired him?

How was it not respectful? He payed him millions to take a vacation. He is then paying him millions to coach another team. I would take that form of disrespect any time my boss wants to disrespect me.

Tombstone RJ
06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
How was it not respectful? He payed him millions to take a vacation. He is then paying him millions to coach another team. I would take that form of disrespect any time my boss wants to disrespect me.

That's a contract and it's more a reflection of Shanny screwing Bowlen in the azzz then anything else. No one has benefitted more from the Broncos success than Mike Shanahan. No one.

If Shanny had any kind of respect at all for the Broncos he would have voided any money due to him from the Broncos once he signed with the Skins. I respect Shanahan for what he did for the Broncos but he's also become a multi-millionaire thanks to Pat Bowlen. And, withouth Elway does Shanny get his SB rings? That's an impossible question to answer. Needless to say, Shanahan has milked the Broncos for all he can get financially.

baja
06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
That's a contract and it's more a reflection of Shanny screwing Bowlen in the azzz then anything else. No one has benefitted more from the Broncos success than Mike Shanahan. No one.

If Shanny had any kind of respect at all for the Broncos he would have voided any money due to him from the Broncos once he signed with the Skins. I respect Shanahan for what he did for the Broncos but he's also become a multi-millionaire thanks to Pat Bowlen. And, withouth Elway does Shanny get his SB rings? That's an impossible question to answer. Needless to say, Shanahan has milked the Broncos for all he can get financially.

well there is the commute from DC to his mansion in denver.

jhns
06-21-2010, 11:03 AM
If Shanny had any kind of respect at all for the Broncos he would have voided any money due to him from the Broncos once he signed with the Skins.

That made me laugh pretty hard.

I would say Bowlen got more from those wins than Shanahan did. Also, can you name me a single reason that Shanahan shouldn't have benefited a ton from his winning? I can easily prove it wasn't all Elway. We had Elway for a long time and never won a SB. We get Shanahan to be head coach and win 2 in a row.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Funny when those whining about the "true fan brigade" come out with their own "you should be banned from the stadium for not being a good enough fan!" post.

As always, Jizz is good for a laugh when quoted.

Tombstone RJ
06-21-2010, 11:10 AM
That made me laugh pretty hard.

I would say Bowlen got more from those wins than Shanahan did. Also, can you name me a single reason that Shanahan shouldn't have benefited a ton from his winning? I can easily prove it wasn't all Elway. We had Elway for a long time and never won a SB. We get Shanahan to be head coach and win 2 in a row.

I never said Shanny didn't deserve to benefit financially. I simply said no one has made more money (aside from Bowlen, THE OWNER who has to pay for everything) than Mike Shanahan.

The only reason I bring up Elway is becuase after Elway retired, the Shanahan lead Broncos did very little in post season wins. I concede that Shanny is exactly what the Broncos and Elway needed to get over the hump, but my main point still is valid: No one has benefitted more financially from the Broncos SB run than Mike Shanahan. He is still financially being compensated from the ripple effect of the Broncos SB wins.

HAT
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM

Shanahan was awesome....In the 90's.

Young, brash, & full of new ideas.....Remind you of anyone much?

BroncoBuff
06-21-2010, 05:31 PM
hating the New England Patriots does not mean you have to blindly dislike Josh McDaniels - he's not a Patriot, he's a Bronco. Mike Shanahan was an Oakland Raider, and a San Francisco 49er. Dan Reeves was a Dallas Cowboy. You can hate those teams too and still like or love the jobs that Reeves and Shanahan did here.

All true. But for me it was less "just Patriots" and more Josh's involvement in the cheating scandal.

Lev Vyvanse
06-21-2010, 05:35 PM
All true. But for me it was less "just Patriots" and more Josh's involvement in the cheating scandal.

Does it piss you off that the Broncos cheated in the same fashion?

montrose
06-21-2010, 05:43 PM

In the loving spirit of my friend Casey, something you've done many a times my friend, got a link?

BroncoBuff
06-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Does it piss you off that the Broncos cheated in the same fashion?

It's entirely possible we did, not denying that, we just weren't caught. And no Raj, I'm not trying to start up again, I'm just trying to distinguish - from my perspective anyway - why it wasn't "Just Patriot" hate that had me so skeptical.

And no link is required ... Josh called the plays. Ergo, knowledge of any "stolen" defensive signals, if any were actually stolen, (and the Commissioner's penalties prove something serious was going on), must have - by any and all logic - gone through Josh.

Lev Vyvanse
06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
It's entirely possible we did, not denying that, we just weren't caught. And no Raj, I'm not trying to start up again, I'm just trying to distinguish - from my perspective anyway - why it wasn't "Just Patriot" hate that had me so skeptical.

And no link is required ... Josh called the plays. Ergo, knowledge of any "stolen" defensive signals, if any were actually stolen, (and the Commissioner's penalties prove something serious was going on), must have - by any and all logic - gone through Josh.
We did it but didn't get caught so it's okay? You sound like a lawyer.

"Our guy keeps a pair of binoculars on their signal-callers every game, with any luck, we have their defensive signals figured out by halftime. Sometimes, by the end of the first quarter."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2002/01/09/life_of_reilly/

montrose
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM

"Well that's not exactly a link." - you've used that one before. Haha, I'm just messing with ya:), I don't care if he was part of the Pats cheating. Hell we cheated and won two rings and I'd operate the camera myself if it meant another one! :strong:

Steve Sewell
06-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Every team in the NFL utilizes the cut block in every single game played, ever.

The End.

errand
07-05-2010, 05:24 PM
we're discussing the 6-0 start numbers and the 2-8 finish. That's what you need to focus on and post. Not the first half against the second half.
Try again!

OK...so once again the defense gave up under 10 points a game in that 6-0 run...and almost 25-30 during the 2-8 streak

errand
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM

OK...not sure what makes you think being critical of Shanahan's last few years here translates into disliking him entirely. Mike was a great coach when he was in Denver, and will probably go down as one of the best all time in the NFL's history. But it was his time to go....just like every other coach who was let go.

Wade Phillips said it best, "There's two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired, and those that will be"

John Ralston is usually villlified on here despite being the first relatively successful coach in team history.

Red Miller went 42-25 as our head coach, led us to our first division title, playoff win, conference championship, and SB...and yet he too isn't loved.

Dan Reeves had a hall of fame career as a head coach, and yet all you'll hear on this site is how he wasted Elway's immense talent....getting to 3 SB's means nothing evidently.

Mike is the end all when it comes to coaches on here, and is defended despite the fact that he got fired for the same reason Reeves did....his teams played .500 ball over the last three seasons

Popps
07-05-2010, 05:38 PM
OK...not sure what makes you think being critical of Shanahan's last few years here translates into disliking him entirely. Mike was a great coach when he was in Denver, and will probably go down as one of the best all time in the NFL's history. But it was his time to go....just like every other coach who was let go.

Wade Phillips said it best, "There's two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired, and those that will be"

John Ralston is usually villlified on here despite being the first relatively successful coach in team history.

Red Miller went 42-25 as our head coach, led us to our first division title, playoff win, conference championship, and SB...and yet he too isn't loved.

Dan Reeves had a hall of fame career as a head coach, and yet all you'll hear on this site is how he wasted Elway's immense talent....getting to 3 SB's means nothing evidently.

Mike is the end all when it comes to coaches on here, and is defended despite the fact that he got fired for the same reason Reeves did....his teams played .500 ball over the last three seasons

Excellent, top to bottom.

INbronco
07-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Lots of bitterness, rudeness, desperation, despair and general lack of brotherly love on the forum for a long time; Don't you just love it!!

Go to the Colts to find absolute boredom in a public forum. The better the team plays the more boring this forum will be. If we ever get another run like in the nineties, everyone of consequence will quietly sneak away and we will be drowning in mediocrity. Just MHO.

jhns
07-06-2010, 02:36 PM

Your post doesn't make any sense. You asked me how I could like Shanahan so much and I explained it. Where I think you are getting off track is you seem to think I was against firing Shanahan.... I never even implied this... I also never said you hate him if you are critical. I just asked why a Broncos fan is asking why other Bronco fans love Shanahan. I think it is pretty obvious why.