PDA

View Full Version : Grass seeds - the dog hurtin' kind

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Grass seeds, something... heard many names. Have a lot in the yard and they get in the dog's paws or ears and can get embedded and need surgery. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? Stupid new lawn...

These things...
http://www.albanybulb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/foxtail-seed.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/efjsxz.png

And the wonderful dog for the hell of it...
http://i45.tinypic.com/20ggmpx.jpg

crush17
06-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Man that's tough when you have a dog with a coat like that...

Los Broncos
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
I know how your dog feels I get a lot of those when hiking, they suck little guy.

bronclvr
06-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Roundup, 2-4D and a little Dishsoap would do the trick-

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 09:54 AM
They are bloody awful. Wanna take a flamethrower to the lot of them!

I am going to chop them all down with the mower but want them to not come back... are they weeds? Anything kill them?

crush17
06-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Gasoline.

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Roundup, 2-4D and a little Dishsoap would do the trick-

Hard to concentrate on your posts with that avy :wiggle:

Round - up I understand, 2-4D and dishsoap?

bronclvr
06-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Dish Soap is a surfactant (it will keep the 2,4-D and the Roundup on the plant if it rains)-the 2,4-D will knock it down, and the Roundup will finsih the job-(Farmers use this formula)-

By the way, I know the Woman in my Avy, she is a Drag Racer (avid) and a part time Model for Drag Racing and other stuff-she has a Toyota Supra that is very fast-she's really a nice person, and my kinda girl-

azbroncfan
06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Good luck with those foxtails and a dog with shaggy hair like that. I would use the round up trick that previous poster talked about. Might want to shave the hair around the dog's feet.

DenverBroncosJM
06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Weed and feed by scotts

you need to put it down and then I would water twice and let it dry before letting te dog on the grass.

Makes your grass look really nice while still killing weeds

Quoydogs
06-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Dish Soap is a surfactant (it will keep the 2,4-D and the Roundup on the plant if it rains)-the 2,4-D will knock it down, and the Roundup will finsih the job-(Farmers use this formula)-

By the way, I know the Woman in my Avy, she is a Drag Racer (avid) and a part time Model for Drag Racing and other stuff-she has a Toyota Supra that is very fast-she's really a nice person, and my kinda girl-

First Good for you man!

Second a friend told be a bleach water solution in a weed sprayer works good. I want to say he said 32 to 1 but that might be what I mix my boat gas at. I call him and check.

Vinagar works pretty good also but that might take a lot with a big yard.

If you use round up or 2-4-d be careful you don't let your dog outside for a few days. They will absorb that stuff threw there paws.

Dukes
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Ever consider shaving the dog?

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Ever consider shaving the dog?

We're gonna get his paws soon. He is like a muppet, can't shave him too much!

Ugly Duck
06-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Just cost me over $600 for surgery after this border collie stepped on a foxtail. Burrowed in between her toes, traveled up the inside of her foot & came out on her leg leaving abscesses along the way.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/UglyDuck2/ria.jpg?t=1276801810

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Just cost me over $600 for surgery after this border collie stepped on a foxtail. Burrowed in between her toes, traveled up the inside of her foot & came out on her leg leaving abscesses along the way.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/UglyDuck2/ria.jpg?1276801469

Cool dog. Yup, that happened to him a couple of years ago.

CEH
06-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Grass seeds, something... heard many names. Have a lot in the yard and they get in the dog's paws or ears and can get embedded and need surgery. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? Stupid new lawn...

These things...
http://www.albanybulb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/foxtail-seed.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/efjsxz.png

And the wonderful dog for the hell of it...
http://i45.tinypic.com/20ggmpx.jpg

Living to Denver you should check out this website
http://www.coloradogardening.com/resources-CSUExtension.htm

They have a helpline 303-464-5554 and should be able to solve your problem

Quoydogs
06-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Long hair dogs a lot of work. That's why I own one of these. No Sticker or hair problems. Plus he wears good shirts.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=26728&stc=1&d=1276802699

tsiguy96
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
dont use gasoline. pull it from the root and get a weed killer.

underrated29
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I know how your dog feels I get a lot of those when hiking, they suck little guy.

Dam you must be one hairy mofo. That or try wearing shoes.

Taco John
06-17-2010, 01:31 PM
I've heard that antifreeze works great in this situation. Just a good dose in his watering bowl.

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 01:31 PM
The Mane as usual has been a lot of help. Keep any advice coming guys!

Taco John
06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Ah, the boss is here to recommend killing my dog?

That depends on how permanent you want the solution, I suppose.

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 01:34 PM
I get it, you don't like me. For ****'s sake.

Taco John
06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I get it, you don't like me. For ****'s sake.

LOL

Actually, I always liked you. I cut you more slack than I cut anybody on this forum and take a lot of crap for it. I shouldn't though. You've taken advantage of it and have turned into the biggest whiner on the forum (Between you and Dragster, it's hard to tell which whines the most).

It was actually just a joke that I got from Chiefs Planet. They recommend anti-freeze for every problem, from pets to teenagers.

You should lighten up.

Eldorado
06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Dogs are part of the family in my house.

Time for a 2 day self ban, Taco.

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
LOL

Actually, I always liked you. I cut you more slack than I cut anybody on this forum and take a lot of crap for it. I shouldn't though. You've taken advantage of it and have turned into the biggest whiner on the forum (Between you and Dragster, it's hard to tell which whines the most).

It was actually just a joke that I got from Chiefs Planet. They recommend anti-freeze for every problem, from pets to teenagers.

You should lighten up.

Whatever, this story has changed several times in the last 6 months.

You were clearly baiting me hoping I would react given that your deceased dog is in your avatar. I am not the scum you think I am though.

Whatever Taco John, Isaac. All of these complaints come thick and fast, I have no qualms for you to show them.

And again, I have said it before, if you ask me to stop posting on your message board I will. It's yours.

Taco John
06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Who said you were scum? I guess it was kind of scummy for you to make fun of a crippled person, and then whine every 5th post about how that person is "protected" from being made fun of for their condition. But honestly, I don't give it that much thought. If I gave as much thought to all of the incidents that happened around this place as you think I do, I wouldn't be able to function. I take care of matters, and then forget them. But you happen to whine about that incident every 5th post. I guess you thought it was unfair or something. *shrug*

Taco John
06-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Anyway, I don't know what to do about grass seeds, I was just making a lighthearted joke that I run across every time I go to the Chiefs Planet main forum. They believe anti-freeze is the solution to everything that ails you. I'll go ahead and leave this thread.

Dagmar
06-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Who said you were scum? I guess it was kind of scummy for you to make fun of a crippled person, and then whine every 5th post about how that person is "protected" from being made fun of for their condition. But honestly, I don't give it that much thought. If I gave as much thought to all of the incidents that happened around this place as you think I do, I wouldn't be able to function. I take care of matters, and then forget them. But you happen to whine about that incident every 5th post. I guess you thought it was unfair or something. *shrug*

I said "chronic brain injury"! alluding to him making a retarded post where he said all of our draft picks had chronic injuries and was banned for TWO weeks!

It was ridiculous. And the reason I get at "dragster" is because he went after a family member of mine in the hospital and got a whole one week. The hypocrisy pissed me off.

crush17
06-17-2010, 02:15 PM
LOL

You should lighten up.

See, your problem is you read Cheifs Planet.

Ugly Duck
06-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey Dagmar.... What the ? is that thing, a Tibetan Terrier?

Elway 4 Life
06-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Hey Dag we just spent 130.00 at our vet for the same issue. Our dogs paw swolled up because a grass seed got imbedded in between his toes. The vet gave us some antibiotics to prevent the infection and told us to soak the paw in epson salt and then lightly wrap it with a bandage. Within 3 days the seed worked itself out and the paw is fine. We check between the toes after every walk. To get rid of the grass/weed i use scotts southern lawn weed and feed and keep the grass mowed short.

tsiguy96
06-18-2010, 07:32 AM
I said "chronic brain injury"! alluding to him making a retarded post where he said all of our draft picks had chronic injuries and was banned for TWO weeks!

It was ridiculous. And the reason I get at "dragster" is because he went after a family member of mine in the hospital and got a whole one week. The hypocrisy pissed me off.

dude its ok, just dont say anything remotely bad about anyone in their birthday thread or youll get 3 weeks. everything else goes here.

Dagmar
06-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey Dagmar.... What the ? is that thing, a Tibetan Terrier?

Portuguese Water Dog.

baja
06-18-2010, 02:45 PM

So you have a thing for silicone?

That One Guy
06-18-2010, 03:37 PM
So you have a thing for silicone?

If it looks good, it looks good.

Unless you play to get a feel, who cares what's on the inside?

briane
06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Those are some cool dogs. since we are sharing....here is mine. Half-basset half-lab.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/13/128426/eddie.jpg

Bronco Yoda
06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Make sure you pull them from the root before you mow. Then try your luck with whatever weed killer you choose. It will probably kill an entire afternoon but worth it.

Bighorn
06-23-2010, 06:21 AM
If you spray it with round up it will kill everything. 2-4-D only works on broad leaf type weeds.It looks like cheat grass to me wich germinates in the fall like winter wheat it also is the first grass to emerge in the spring. Talk to your local extension agency about it there are some chemicals that will kill it its expensive and will only kill the plant that is emerged. The seed can stay viable for years. Hope this helps

Archer81
06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I have goatheads in my yard...I hate them. The dog always avoids the spots in the yard where they are present though.

The cats, on the other hand...

:Broncos: