PDA

View Full Version : OT- Cold case in Ft Collins, murder solved, 28 years later

hades
06-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Man, I have often wondered if they ever caught the person who killed this girl. I knew her since like Jr High or elementary school, we were in the same grade. Finally, they catch the guy!
Just last year when I was in Ft Collins visitng my family and friends we talked about this. Her poor Mom, having to go thru all the pain again to finally get closure on this mystery.

RIP Gay Dixon. Finally some closure for your family.

Suspect arrested in Fort Collins teen's 1982 killing

Larimer County sheriff's officials made an arrest Monday in a nearly three-decades-old homicide of a 17-year-old Fort Collins girl found dead on a road in Rist Canyon after she attended a birthday party.

The case has long been investigated by the Larimer County Sheriff's Office and went cold after the initial investigation failed to thoroughly question some who attended a party with Gay Lynn Dixon the evening she was killed.
"I think it gives us all a satisfaction that justice could finally be served," Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden said at a news conference Monday where he announced the arrest of 46-year-old David Hehn.
Hehn was taken into custody about 10:30 a.m. Monday on suspicion of first-degree murder and second-degree kidnapping in connection to Dixon's death.
Dixon's body was found Jan. 30, 1982, about 16 miles west of Fort Collins in Rist Canyon, about two miles east of Stove Prairie School on Larimer County Road 52E. She was beaten, had a broken jaw and three gunshot wounds to the head.
She had last been seen at a birthday party the night before where Alderden said there were about 200 people in attendance. According to Coloradoan reports in the weeks after Dixon's death, investigators struggled to contact those who left the party with Dixon and didn't know her whereabouts after 11:30 p.m. the night she died.
Hehn, who was 18 in 1982, has lived in Fort Collins since the day Dixon was killed, according to Alderden.
Formal charges have not yet been filed, and Hehn was arrested on a no-bond warrant.
Citing his obligations not to comment on pending cases, Alderden would not elaborate on why Hehn was arrested or the evidence in the case.
However, he said Hehn did not surface as a suspect until the case was reopened in 2008.
When asked if it was DNA evidence that led to an arrest, Alderden declined to comment.
According to Colorado court records, Hehn has a criminal history in Larimer County dating back to 1983 when he was arrested for DUI. He also has convictions for assault in 2000, driving while ability impaired in 2002 and theft in 2004 and 2006. In the 2004 theft case, Hehn was convicted of a felony and sentenced to two years in the department of corrections.
When contacted by the Coloradoan on Monday, Hehn's brother declined to comment about the arrest or about any possible connection to the Dixon family. Alderden said Hehn currently lives two houses away from Dixon's parents.

During Monday's news conference, Alderden said the Dixon family did not wish to speak with the media but relayed through Alderden that they had complete confidence in investigators and recognized the efforts of Families of Homicide Victims and Missing Persons, a statewide nonprofit group founded in 2001.
According to previously published reports, the Dixon family got involved with FOHVAMP in 2006.
"Over the years, it's become extremely difficult to heal, to pursue the case ourselves and to get support from the community," Dixon's sister, Laurie Wiedeman, said previously.
In 2000, sheriff's Investigator Rick Russell told the Coloradoan initial police work failed to conduct interviews with some who were at the party with Dixon and perform general follow-up work.
Russell said he conducted about 30 interviews with people who were at the party that night including some who weren't previously interviewed and provided information that helped him fill in missing pieces. At the time, Russell said he believed the poor investigative work hindered the probe into Dixon's death and possibly kept it from being solved.
Alderden on Monday declined to comment on whether or not the initial investigation into the incident caused the case to go cold but said initial investigative efforts focused on Martin Fry, a man who had an on-again-off-again relationship with Dixon that at times was violent.
Fry was never arrested or charged with a crime and has no known connection to Hehn, Alderden said.
"Unfortunately all the evidence at the time was pointing to Marty Fry," Alderden said.

gunns
06-16-2010, 07:53 PM
That's good for the family. I hope they can do a better job on prosecuting the guy than they did investigating the murder.

enjolras
06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I bet Tim Tebow solved this in his spare time...

strafen
06-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Awesome news.
I'm so happy for the family.

broncocalijohn
06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Thought i would see my uncle's name on that report. Not that he is a murderer but if it is a police report and Fort Collins, I have to wonder if I see my last name ruined. Glad they caught the guy and he wasnt related to me.

Pontius Pirate
06-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Thought i would see my uncle's name on that report. Not that he is a murderer but if it is a police report and Fort Collins, I have to wonder if I see my last name ruined. Glad they caught the guy and he wasnt related to me.

I'd wager that the murderer is the guy in your avatar I MEAN LOOK AT THAT GUY FOR CHRISSAKES!

Killericon
06-17-2010, 01:11 AM
That's good for the family. I hope they can do a better job on prosecuting the guy than they did investigating the murder.

At least they found the guy.