PDA

View Full Version : CBA thread

gyldenlove
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
To clear up some of the confusion about the current state of affairs and what to expect for the future I am going to try to compehensively explain what the deal is.

The current CBA expires at the end of the 2010 league year in the spring next year. The owners voted to terminate the deal prematurely because they were unhappy with the escalation of the salary cap due to the requirement that 59.5% of league revenue be spend on player salaries.

In order to force both parties to renegotiate the CBA before the expiry of the current CBA some pretty draconian measures were included in the last league year to give both parties some real incitement to reach a deal in time to avoid a work stoppage or delay of the league year. The measures included no salary cap meant to force the owners to negotiate, requiring 6 years of service rather than 4 to reach unrestricted free agency to force the players to negotiate.

With the expiry of the CBA all league activities will stop and no new league year will begin and thus free agency and other activitied will not begin and no draft will be held. This means that the players who sign restricted tenders this year and will reach 4 or more years of service will not be free to sign with another team when the league year expires, however as soon as a new CBA is signed and ratified and a new league year begins all these players become unrestricted free agents instantaneously.

The main demands of the owners are:

Less money for players, reducing the 59.5 cents on the dollar the players are entitled to.
Slotting for draft picks, to reduce the insane contracts given to number 1 overall picks which would leave more money for veterans.
Reducing or abolishing revenue sharing, the rich teams are tired of paying for the poor teams and with a reduction in salary cap they are going to try to force through reducing revenue sharing.

The main demands for the players:

More money.
Limitations on franchise tag use.
Independent administration of suspensions and independent arbitration.

Ultimately the owners will give up control of the suspension process, or at least have independent reviews and appeals process. I believe the owners will agree to restricting the franchise tag more than it is now and a few other minor concessions in order to get the players to accept a small reduction in veteran salaries and draft slotting. I doubt revenue sharing will be changed much.

BlaK-Argentina
06-15-2010, 11:14 AM
So what are the odds of having no NFL next year?

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
This means that the players who sign restricted tenders this year and will reach 4 or more years of service will not be free to sign with another team when the league year expires, however as soon as a new CBA is signed and ratified and a new league year begins all these players become unrestricted free agents instantaneously.

As I did in the other thread, I will voice my disagreement with this conclusion. There is no way to know this until the CBA is signed. The owners have not conceded anything of the sort.

Kaylore
06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
A few things.

First: The league is not looking at abandoning revenue sharing. The revenue sharing is what got them there. They are looking to going back to having their box seating go into their pockets however, which allows rich teams with newer stadiums to have a bit of an edge.

I haven't read anywhere saying they want to abandon revenue sharing. Even if the top ten richest teams wanted this, they wouldn't be able to pass it because the bottom twenty wouldn't allow it. It's not like if you make more money your vote is worth more.