PDA

View Full Version : "No doubt" Orton is the starter

TonyR
06-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Josh McDaniels: "No doubt" Orton is the starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 12, 2010 5:24 PM ET

Kyle Orton lined up with the Broncos starters to open the offseason, and that's where he'll remain heading into training camp.

"[Orton is the starter. He is the starter, no doubt," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday, in a variety of different ways. Here's another:

"There's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

It doesn't sound like Brady Quinn is overly close to passing Orton, but it's also silly to draw many conclusions from non-padded practices.

"It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead, there's no question," McDaniels said. "He's playing that way and the other two guys -- I don't know if it matters if it's close or not but they're going to keep pushing him and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close."

Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past. Perhaps acquiring Quinn and Tim Tebow has helped to light a fire under him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/12/josh-mcdaniels-no-doubt-orton-is-the-starter/

Man-Goblin
06-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Never was a doubt here, either.

HEAV
06-12-2010, 03:24 PM
2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.

OrangenBlueOhio
06-12-2010, 03:30 PM
"going into camp as starter" Coming out as third string.

bombquixote
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM

God willing.

FireFly
06-12-2010, 05:15 PM
2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.

please don't say that...

you'll make me cry :'(

Tombstone RJ
06-12-2010, 05:20 PM
McD is just saying the job is Orton's unless one of the other QBs makes such gigantic strides that he supplants Orton. He's saying the same thing he's said from the beginning, all positions are up for grabs. Not sure why this is newsworthy....

TheReverend
06-12-2010, 05:33 PM
What would there be to doubt? No one else has even a day of experience in a Broncos training camp.

Find something like this to put up in September and it might have a shred of meaning.

WyoLaw
06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5280422

Updated: June 12, 2010, 8:24 PM ET
McDaniels says Orton is starter

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r3.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('5280422','http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5280422'); });</SCRIPT><CITE class=source>ESPN.com news services
</CITE>
<!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body -->ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den) coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday after minicamp that Kyle Orton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8520) will be his starter heading into training camp.

"We've got a guy [Orton] who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it," McDaniels said. "If somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

From there, the competition is open as Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10466) and rookie Tim Tebow (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13200) will have an opportunity to win the job.

About this point last spring, McDaniels, then in his first year as coach, anointed Orton as his starter. This time, though, McDaniels' proclamation seemed a casual assumption.

"He is the starter, no doubt," McDaniels nonchalantly said. On a rainy and cool practice Saturday, Orton received a bulk of the reps, an explicit indication he's the leader of the QB pack.

Asked if the competition was even close right now, McDaniels said, "It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead. There's no question." Orton isn't really giving the competition much thought, just going about his business. That's always been his approach.

"I'm really happy with the way I'm playing and just really have more confidence right now than I've ever had," he said. Orton is coming off a season in which he threw for a career-high 3,802 yards and 21 touchdowns. But Denver limped home down the stretch and missed the playoffs despite a 6-0 start.

The Broncos brought in a cache of quarterbacks to challenge Orton, acquiring Quinn from Cleveland in March and then drafting Tebow, the two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy winner out of Florida. Being the incumbent, though, and with a year of this intricate offense under his belt, Orton feels like he's a step ahead.
"It's just night and day," Orton said about his improvement since last season. "There's really just no comparison between myself and anyone else who's been in this offense for two years."

Precisely why he has a lock on the starting spot. Quinn or Tebow still have something to say about that. "I don't know if it matters if it's close or not, but they're going to keep pushing [Orton] and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close," McDaniels said. "I think we had three guys out there that practiced pretty well [Saturday]."

Not to mention a rookie receiver who's steadily finding his groove. Demaryius Thomas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13216), a first-round pick from Georgia Tech, is working his way back into shape after being sidelined earlier this spring with a broken left foot. "He's doing great," McDaniels said. "In terms of trying to get better at the things that he has struggled with or made an error with -- he has really worked hard to try to fix those."

Lately, Thomas has been spending time with former Broncos standout Rod Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=866), who holds team marks for career receptions (849), yards receiving (11,389), touchdown catches (68) and touchdowns (71). The tutoring is taking hold. "He helped me out a lot," said Thomas, who tweaked his knee late in practice but said it wasn't anything serious. "Some of the stuff that he told me he did and would help me out and I tried it today and it did help."

Stuff like?

"It was basically getting off the line and getting off press and using my body and using my shoulders -- something I never did before," he said. Thomas wasn't the only receiver to dazzle Saturday, with Matthew Willis out of UCLA turning in quite a catch between defensive backs in a red-zone drill. Kenny McKinley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12582) wasn't to be outdone, leaping in the corner of the end zone to haul in a pass.

However, Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=978) refuted McKinley's catch, throwing his helmet as a makeshift flag and protesting that McKinley stepped out before the grab.

Still, it was a good day for the young wideouts as they build a rapport with Orton, Quinn and Tebow.

"I have a [high] comfort level with all these guys," Orton said. "All these guys run great routes."

ESPN Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
<!-- begin sponsored links -->

Play2win
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
We are going to have a new starter at QB next season, because circa 2010 Orton is a completely different QB than 2009 Orton.

dbfan4life
06-12-2010, 06:35 PM
[B]
Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past.[/I]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/12/josh-mcdaniels-no-doubt-orton-is-the-starter/

I don't ever remember anyone questioning either of these. It is more his mobility and overally ability as a QB.

baja
06-12-2010, 06:51 PM
2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.

In this economy a lock out would be insane, it would seriously hurt the NFL.

s0phr0syne
06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
McD is just saying the job is Orton's unless one of the other QBs makes such gigantic strides that he supplants Orton. He's saying the same thing he's said from the beginning, all positions are up for grabs. Not sure why this is newsworthy....

Agreed.

I saw this on Rotoworld as a headline, and I was surprised. I went back to watch McD's presser, and he was clearly saying the same thing that he's said multiple times earlier: "Every position is open and the QB position is no different. Right now, Orton is the starter."

This is totally different than last season when he came out and named Orton the starter ahead of Chris Simms. In that situation, it was a clear demarcation because hitherto that point, Simms and Orton had started out on even footing. In the situation this year, Orton is the incumbent and the two challengers are rookies in this system.

I have no idea why the media are running with this headline at this time.

Abqbronco
06-12-2010, 07:42 PM
In this economy a lock out would be insane, it would seriously hurt the NFL.

I don't think this is true. The NFL has protected itself with a clause in the TV contracts worth billions. I don't really know the details but the NFLPA is filing some sort of complaint. The owners would be just fine financially. If baseball can recover from their problems the NFL would have no real problem with a lockout.

baja
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't think this is true. The NFL has protected itself with a clause in the TV contracts worth billions. I don't really know the details but the NFLPA is filing some sort of complaint. The owners would be just fine financially. If baseball can recover from their problems the NFL would have no real problem with a lockout.

You can't compare this to the baseball lockout. We are in economic times not seen since the great depression. The owners may be well healed but the problem will come from the fans. A guy scraping to feed his family will not take kindly to rich owners and rich players fighting over a pie worth billions.

KipCorrington25
06-12-2010, 08:30 PM
We are going to have a new starter at QB next season, because circa 2010 Orton is a completely different QB than 2009 Orton.

So he's no longer slow, injury prone, weak armed, and unable to avoid the rush?

strafen
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM

ROFL! No shiit!

SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2010, 08:41 PM
You can't compare this to the baseball lockout. We are in economic times not seen since the great depression. The owners may be well healed but the problem will come from the fans. A guy scraping to feed his family will not take kindly to rich owners and rich players fighting over a pie worth billions.

Please. Americans are sheep. When they come back, so will the fans.

Tombstone RJ
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Please. Americans are sheep. When they come back, so will the fans.

There's enough football players in the continental US to fully stock each NFL team with good talent. Not the best talent, but good talent. Players from semi pro to arena to canada will happily fill roster spots and while the fans won't like it, they will watch it at least for a little while. I agree there's no shortage of fans in this country that won't pay, perhaps a 1/2 price ticket to watch replacements play. The TV contract is set, filling the stadiums is the next issue and owners can do that by giving fans incentives to watch like cheaper tickets. The coaches aren't going anywhere either so get them to coach up some replacements and have some fun...

JCMElway
06-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Don't speak, I know what you're sayin'.

strafen
06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
McD is just saying the job is Orton's unless one of the other QBs makes such gigantic strides that he supplants Orton. He's saying the same thing he's said from the beginning, all positions are up for grabs. Not sure why this is newsworthy....I don't think Orton holds any significant lead over the "other" QB's that they'd need to make gigantic strides.
Obviously he has a year in the "system", but that's not a guarantee he'll keep his job as the starter...
Every week McDaniels comes up with a different angle on the QB situation.

Last week:
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Monday that he's not looking to trade QB Kyle Orton, but he softened his commitment to Orton being the team's starter in Week 1.

McDaniels, who in March said there was "no question" that Orton was the starter, said that the veteran will have to earn the job by holding off Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow in training camp.

Said McDaniels:

"The starter is the starter until somebody beats him out. Everybody earns their own role. The best player will play, that's all I'm saying. It doesn't matter if it's at defensive end, punter, quarterback, center, if he's the best player he's playing.

"And right now he's the best player. He's in there first in the huddle. He knows the most. Does that mean that that's a guarantee for this season? No, and he knows that. Every quarterback knows that. Every player knows it."http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/05/josh-mcdaniels-no-guarantee-kyle-orton-will-be-broncos-starter-in-week-1/1

DarkHorse30
06-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't think Orton holds any significant lead over the "ther" QB's that they'd need to make gigantic strides.
Obviously he has a year in the "system", but that's not a guarantee he'll keep his job as the starter...

Ok, what about BIG strides. Offenses take at least a year to learn, and Orton has a year under his belt that the others do not.

Quinn might take some time to learn but his bar for backup QB is so low, he could crawl over it. Simms was laughably bad. 15point-one QB rating as a Bronco. He was so bad that Orton had to go back injured against SD. Yikes. I want everybody that said that Simms should start over Orton last year to drop and give me twenty.

Popps
06-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Orton was starting on opening day. Not shocked, but surprised. (Hopefully pleasantly surprised.)

On a side note...

Kenny McKinley wasn't to be outdone, leaping in the corner of the end zone to haul in a pass.

Anyone else excited to see what this kid has this year? He might be a nice sleeper after a quiet rookie season.

Los Broncos
06-13-2010, 01:38 AM
I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Orton was starting on opening day. Not shocked, but surprised. (Hopefully pleasantly surprised.)

On a side note...

[I] Kenny McKinley wasn't to be outdone, leaping in the corner of the end zone to haul in a pass.
[/I

Anyone else excited to see what this kid has this year? He might be a nice sleeper after a quiet rookie season.

McKinley has some real potenial liked what I saw in limited action.

Hopefully he'll get a chance in the return game, should see the field more with Marshall gone.

Play2win
06-13-2010, 02:10 AM

Sounds like Brady (did)...

and, no, not the one on our team...

strafen
06-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Ok, what about BIG strides. Offenses take at least a year to learn, and Orton has a year under his belt that the others do not.

Quinn might take some time to learn but his bar for backup QB is so low, he could crawl over it. Simms was laughably bad. 15point-one QB rating as a Bronco. He was so bad that Orton had to go back injured against SD. Yikes. I want everybody that said that Simms should start over Orton last year to drop and give me twenty.Orton can know that offense from the inside out, left and right, up and down all you want, the fact still remains, he's a mediocre QB no matter how you cut it.
Seriously. I don't see this love for Orton. If you've seen Orton play QB in the last few years, you'll know what I mean. Learning the system is not going to make him into the QB he's never been and never will be.

That we don't have a suitable QB to replace him right now? ...maybe.
To think a year in the system will transform Orton? ...nope.

colonelbeef
06-13-2010, 08:48 AM
2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.

There won't be a lockout. Absolute suicide in this economic environment.

God help us. 2 years of Kyle Orton at QB. Facking awful.

baja
06-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Orton can know that offense from the inside out, left and right, up and down all you want, the fact still remains, he's a mediocre QB no matter how you cut it.
Seriously. I don't see this love for Orton. If you've seen Orton play QB in the last few years, you'll know what I mean. Learning the system is not going to make him into the QB he's never been and never will be.

Do you think we can win ten games with Orton?

Do you think there was a better option to Orton after Bowlen insisted we trade Cutler?

If you were the Broncos coach what would you do differently?

Tombstone RJ
06-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Anyone notice how Campbell has all of a sudden made the faiders competitive yet Orton still holds the Broncos back? I LMAO at NFLN and thier love of Campbell and the faiders and how they are sucking off the faid because they had a decent draft. All of a sudden Campbell is this great QB who is gonna help the faid compete against Sandy Eggo while Denver is still rebuilding and noncompetitve.

They forget that McD had a chance to get Campbell and instead chose Orton. I'm betting that if Orton went to the faiders then Orton would probably be thought of as a much better QB and the guy that is gonna get the faiders back to being competitve.

Hamrob
06-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Somewhere out there...the Chargers Organization is laughing loudly!

Tombstone RJ
06-13-2010, 10:42 AM

I think AJ Smith is worried about the Broncos, and I can't say the same thing for the faiders. The Broncos have made great moves and the team is going to be better. The defense is already much better. Sandy Eggo is not going to be able to beat up on a soft Broncos team anymore. Sorry, those days are gone.

Popps
06-13-2010, 10:44 AM

About what, stepping on their own dicks every season?

Maybe you should go join the "loyal" Charger fan base since you're so self-conscious about them laughing at you. I mean, they've accomplished a lot.

Br0nc0Buster
06-13-2010, 10:45 AM

their top receiver and franchise left tackle are about to hold out the first 10 games of the season....I highly doubt they are laughing right now

baja
06-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Anyone notice how Campbell has all of a sudden made the faiders competitive yet Orton still holds the Broncos back? I LMAO at NFLN and thier love of Campbell and the faiders and how they are sucking off the faid because they had a decent draft. All of a sudden Campbell is this great QB who is gonna help the faid compete against Sandy Eggo while Denver is still rebuilding and noncompetitve.

They forget that McD had a chance to get Campbell and instead chose Orton. I'm betting that if Orton went to the faiders then Orton would probably be thought of as a much better QB and the guy that is gonna get the faiders back to being competitve.

Physically Campbell is probably much better than Orton but I doubt he could do well in McD's complex offense and that is why we took the Chicago deal IMO.

Pick Six
06-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Josh McDaniels: "No doubt" Orton is the starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 12, 2010 5:24 PM ET

Kyle Orton lined up with the Broncos starters to open the offseason, and that's where he'll remain heading into training camp.

"[Orton is the starter. He is the starter, no doubt," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday, in a variety of different ways. Here's another:

"There's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

It doesn't sound like Brady Quinn is overly close to passing Orton, but it's also silly to draw many conclusions from non-padded practices.

"It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead, there's no question," McDaniels said. "He's playing that way and the other two guys -- I don't know if it matters if it's close or not but they're going to keep pushing him and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close."

Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past. Perhaps acquiring Quinn and Tim Tebow has helped to light a fire under him.

...as opposed to Plummer, who wet the bed after Cutler was drafted? I like it...:thumbs:

Jason in LA
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM

That would be in the Broncos best interest. It would mean that Quinn is a legit QB, which the Broncos need. If Quinn can't turn it around, then Orton will keep the job, and it will be just like last year. Blah.

Jason in LA
06-13-2010, 12:46 PM

What do you base that on? Simply being in the system for a second year isn't going to dramaticly change the guy. He should be better and more comfortable, but completely different? Like, he'll turn into one of the elite QBs in the league?

Play2win
06-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Orton does have some good attributes for a Pro QB, but he also has (some say many) faults. Pretty much last year, he was thrown into a management situation, and he was just trying to keep the business afloat. Next year, many things will be different, and the system seems to be more curtailed to his strengths, as well as he will be much more a field general.

I know Orton is a veteran, but in many ways he was a rookie in this system. Seriously, compared to what he was running in Chicago, and to what he is running now, he had to go through a similar learning curve that some rookies might have had to go through.

I think it will be fun to see what Orton can do with a firm grasp of the playbook from the get-go, as well as key players with another year of experience in the system, some new toys, and a solidification of the Oline.

Ryan Harris is so key. STAY HEALTHY!!! I think he was the deciding factor on the way the season went.

Basically, I totally buy into the All is one, one is all concept. I just hope everyone on the team does too...

baja
06-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Orton does have some good attributes for a Pro QB, but he also has (some say many) faults. Pretty much last year, he was thrown into a management situation, and he was just trying to keep the business afloat. Next year, many things will be different, and the system seems to be more curtailed to his strengths, as well as he will be much more a field general.

I know Orton is a veteran, but in many ways he was a rookie in this system. Seriously, compared to what he was running in Chicago, and to what he is running now, he had to go through a similar learning curve that some rookies might have had to go through.

I think it will be fun to see what Orton can do with a firm grasp of the playbook from the get-go, as well as key players with another year of experience in the system, some new toys, and a solidification of the Oline.

Ryan Harris is so key. STAY HEALTHY!!! I think he was the deciding factor on the way the season went.

Basically, I totally buy into the All is one, one is all concept. I just hope everyone on the team does too...

Good take I agree 100%.

tsiguy96
06-13-2010, 07:36 PM
What do you base that on? Simply being in the system for a second year isn't going to dramaticly change the guy. He should be better and more comfortable, but completely different? Like, he'll turn into one of the elite QBs in the league?

you keep saying this, and its contrary to not only what the coaches and orton keep saying, but quinn and tebow saying. its like you do whatever you can to bash orton.

HAT
06-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Orton knows he's got this.....He's concentrating on the 'other' football today....

"In honor of our World Cup tie w/ England I'm gonna pound some Bass Ale, then pound some redcoat wearin skank right in her fartbox! USA! USA!"

:pimp:

HAT
06-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Orton can know that offense from the inside out, left and right, up and down all you want, the fact still remains, he's a mediocre QB no matter how you cut it.

draghns7,

I'm assuming you will be first in line when I post my "Orton to the Pro Bowl" prop in a few weeks?

Still finalizing the odds but it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of:

Yes +450
No -375

:contract:

Lomax
06-13-2010, 11:20 PM

Two things that separate us from the Raiders.

1. They just s-canned a terrible QB and one of the worst 1st round busts in history and replaced him with an average QB, while we replaced a pro-bowler with a guy who is considered by most analysts to be average himself.

2. After a year with Orton, we ran out and traded for Quinn, then drafted Tebow.

So I can see the perspective that going from Jamarcus to Campbell by itself actually makes the Raiders competitive. And I get the viewpoint that the Denver top dogs don't think Orton is the longterm solution and thus, he must not be that good. I actually agree with the former. The latter, not so much.

OrangenBlueOhio
06-14-2010, 03:15 PM

cur·tail1    /kərˈteɪl/ Show Spelled[ker-teyl] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
to cut short; cut off a part of; abridge; reduce; diminish

Sounds about right.

orange 4 life
06-14-2010, 04:14 PM

He never was, but what a surprise that's how you'd perceive it.

Let me guess.
In 2006 you were hammering Plummer and just SURE that Cantler was the answer right?
How did that work out for us?

Here we go again.

azbroncfan
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
There's enough football players in the continental US to fully stock each NFL team with good talent. Not the best talent, but good talent. Players from semi pro to arena to canada will happily fill roster spots and while the fans won't like it, they will watch it at least for a little while. I agree there's no shortage of fans in this country that won't pay, perhaps a 1/2 price ticket to watch replacements play. The TV contract is set, filling the stadiums is the next issue and owners can do that by giving fans incentives to watch like cheaper tickets. The coaches aren't going anywhere either so get them to coach up some replacements and have some fun...

I am not so sure as those players will be listed as scabs once the negotiations are agreed upon and will be blacklisted from the NFL.

orange 4 life
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Good take I agree 100%.

Ya now we just need to get the rest of the fans to see it that way.
If that happens we just might have something special in this town again.

P.S.- Hello hat god. Hope all is well. ^5

orange 4 life
06-14-2010, 04:22 PM
...as opposed to Plummer, who wet the bed after Cutler was drafted? I like it...:thumbs:

Is that how you remember it?
WOW!!

No wonder our fan base has changed.
How about got spit on? How about slapped in the face first by the team and then by the fans?
Reminder: We were 10-6, 10-6, 13-3, and 7-4 with Plummer.
How have we done since then? Uh huh.

A 13-3 team with holes in the defense went out and drafted a qb.
Bad choice.
Of course that didn't "light a fire" under Plummer. The man didn't NEED a fire lit.
He needed a defense and another wide receiver.

But you go on making up stories with no basis in reality.
Now I remember why I don't come around much anymore. Amazing.

orange 4 life
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Do you think we can win ten games with Orton?

Do you think there was a better option to Orton after Bowlen insisted we trade Cutler?

If you were the Broncos coach what would you do differently?

Yes

No

And the only thing I would've done differently is NOT to draft a qb. We already did this with Plummer and Cutler and I don't look forward to going through it again. Moronic ADD generation fans at Mile High will be screaming for Tebow after every Orton mistake just like they did with Cutler.
And how did that work out? If Shanahan would've just figured out how to get along with Jake and gotten a couple playmakers on Defense this could be an ENTIRELY different team history the last few years. One bad decision cost us years....Just like I said it would.

tsiguy96
06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes

No

And the only thing I would've done differently is NOT to draft a qb. We already did this with Plummer and Cutler and I don't look forward to going through it again. Moronic ADD generation fans at Mile High will be screaming for Tebow after every Orton mistake just like they did with Cutler.
And how did that work out? If Shanahan would've just figured out how to get along with Jake and gotten a couple playmakers on Defense this could be an ENTIRELY different team history the last few years. One bad decision cost us years....Just like I said it would.

i think people trust that McD is atleast at this point in his career putting the best players on the field. seems like shanny got away from that near the end, but if/when tebow is ready and can perform at a higher level than orton, he will be on the field.

Taco John
06-14-2010, 05:04 PM
2010 Orton
2011 lockout
2012 Tebow Era begins.

Seems reasonable, except that you forgot Keanu Reeves for 2011.

orange 4 life
06-14-2010, 05:29 PM
i think people trust that McD is atleast at this point in his career putting the best players on the field. seems like shanny got away from that near the end, but if/when tebow is ready and can perform at a higher level than orton, he will be on the field.

If it happens that way I'm fine with it.
Still wish we would've drafted another player on defense but I get it.

As long as McD doesn't go the route of Shanny and make our existing qb the fall guy.
The way Shanny set up Plummer and the way everyone just bought it hook, line and sinker is ridiculous.

IF Tebow can beat out Orton (and I'm not convinced that will ever happen) then I'm all for having him on the field and like all of our qb's before him he'll have my full support.
Heck Cantler had my full support while he was here!!!

BroncoBuff
06-15-2010, 01:44 AM
It doesn't sound like Brady Quinn is overly close to passing Orton, but it's also silly to draw many conclusions from non-padded practices

Am I the only one who thinks Quinn never had a chance to start? He's basically a bust, at least as a starter. He'll likely have a decent career as a backup, probably here. But the circumstances surrounding his departuure from Cleveland, and the compensation netted in the trade speak volumes.

Cleveland had every reason under the sun to keep hiim, but instead chose the more expensive, 35 year old Jake Delhomme.

strafen
06-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Quinn never had a chance to start? He's basically a bust, at least as a starter. He'll likely have a decent career as a backup, probably here. But the circumstances surrounding his departuure from Cleveland, and the compensation netted in the trade speak volumes.

Cleveland had every reason under the sun to keep hiim, but instead chose the more expensive, 35 year old Jake Delhomme.Makes you wonder, huh?
Still too early to tell. We still got a full dose of TC coming up July 15th or so.
That's when I think the competition will be tight...

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2010, 06:19 AM
The way Shanny set up Plummer and the way everyone just bought it hook, line and sinker is ridiculous.

Please. I'm one of the biggest Plummer fans here and there's no way I could even pretend to defend the way he played in 2006. He single handedly cost us games with his abyssmal play that season.

HEAV
06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Seems reasonable, except that you forgot Keanu Reeves for 2011.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6E4Oy6pFKQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6E4Oy6pFKQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

OrangenBlueOhio
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Cleveland had every reason under the sun to keep hiim, but instead chose the more expensive, 35 year old Jake Delhomme.

When your current starter is Kyle flippin Orton you tend to hope for anything else.

orange 4 life
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Please. I'm one of the biggest Plummer fans here and there's no way I could even pretend to defend the way he played in 2006. He single handedly cost us games with his abyssmal play that season.

Wow.
For one Shanahan had the whole town dumping on him before the season started.
Secondly his play statistically wasn't anything special but like always he knew how to win.

We were 7-4 under Plummer that year and NO ONE with ANY knowledge disputes that we WOULD'VE made the playoffs had he STAYED the starter.
Cutler finished 2-3 that year and he and Shanahan cost us a playoff spot.

Beyond that who know what would've happened had we drafted defense instead of Cantler?
Some guys benefit from being "pushed" and others don't.
Plummer had been "the man" for a long time and like it or not this was a sensitive guy that was crushed when everyone turned on him.
That and he didn't NEED anyone to push him. He was coming off a probowl season in 2005.

baja
06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Wow.
Secondly his play statistically wasn't anything special but like always he knew how to win.

We were 7-4 under Plummer that year and NO ONE with ANY knowledge disputes that we WOULD'VE made the playoffs had he STAYED the starter.

Beyond that who know what would've happened had we drafted defense instead of Cantler?
Plummer had been "the man" for a long time and like it or not this was a sensitive guy that was crushed when everyone turned on him.
That and he didn't NEED anyone to push him. He was coming off a probowl season in 2005.

Hey Jake, sup.

Good take on Plummer I think you nailed it especially the part about him not handling the Cutler pick very well.

OABB
06-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Wow.

I'm suprised by this. I always thought you liked the draft pick of cutler.