PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska fans, welcome to the Big Ten!!!

FADERPROOF
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Can't wait to bitch-slap your team all over the field.

Sincerely,

THE Ohio State Buckeyes

Kid A
06-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Think they'll match them up right off the bat in 2011? Iowa's going to be the obvious rivalry for Nebraska, but I know there's at least one guy looking forward to returning to the Shoe.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zLEDkZ2IEmU/SoLhZWPwgDI/AAAAAAAAAf8/WE6MDLwvpxw/s320/2004349000.jpg

Kid A
06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Also, here's hoping all the breaks fall right and we meet a year early in Glendale.

FADERPROOF
06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Michigan is the team that really wants Nebraska's ass, the 1997 split title and the 2006 alamo bowl...Wolverines want a piece of the NU.

Kid A
06-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Michigan is the team that really wants Nebraska's ass, the 1997 split title and the 2006 alamo bowl...Wolverines want a piece of the NU.

If only we could have had that 97 head-to-head. Seeing as NU murdered #3, Peyton Manning led Tennessee in the Orange Bowl to a tune of 42-17, while they squeaked by #8 Washington State 2116 in the Rose, I think Michigan fans in their heart of hearts are glad we can only talk about that potential match up hypothetically. ;)

And, or course, most Nebraska fans aren't too upset anyway, considering which trophy the Huskers ended up with.

http://nffootballreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sears-trophy.jpg

FADERPROOF
06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
And the 2006 alamo bowl? You know you stole that from them...(or the refs did)

Kid A
06-12-2010, 12:03 AM
And the 2006 alamo bowl? You know you stole that from them...(or the refs did)

On what? The kick return with people on the field? I do vaguely remember a couple bad calls now that you mention it (conveniently forgotten, haha). Nice upset in Callahan's second year, but it's not exactly high stakes when you're talking about the Alamo bowl. God, I hope Nebraska and Michigan haven't fallen so far that a controversial Alamo bowl becomes ground for rivalry.

Kid A
06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
But, yeah, I there has been some chirping back and forth since 97. I'd love to make a trip to the Big House in a couple years.

Carmelo15
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
I dont like Ohio St at all as a Miami fan. But as a CU alum I fvckin HATE Nebraska! The kind of hate only slightly less than my hate for the Raiders

SouthStndJunkie
06-12-2010, 12:34 AM
But, yeah, I there has been some chirping back and forth since 97. I'd love to make a trip to the Big House in a couple years.

As a Michigan fan, I'll make a trip to Lincoln to see our teams square off at Memorial Stadium.

SouthStndJunkie
06-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Nebraska will be an excellent fit for the Big Ten.

Nebraska/Iowa will be a natural rivalry.

Nebraska/Ohio State, Nebraska/Michigan, and Nebraska/Penn State will all turn into excellent rivalry games between traditional powerhouses.

Kid A
06-12-2010, 12:42 AM
As a Michigan fan, I'll make a trip to Lincoln to see our teams square off at Memorial Stadium.

Outside the Alamo bowl I'm at a loss as to when they might have last played. Has Michigan ever visited Lincoln (or vice versa)? One of the strengths of the Big Ten football is the stadiums. Horseshoe, Big House, Camp Randell, Beaver Stadium...huge places full of tradition. Nebraska is looking at adding another 10k seats and more boxes, so Memorial could be going to 90-95,000 in a few years.

Kid A
06-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Nebraska will be an excellent fit for the Big Ten.

Nebraska/Iowa will be a natural rivalry.

Nebraska/Ohio State, Nebraska/Michigan, and Nebraska/Penn State will all turn into excellent rivalry games between traditional powerhouses.

I for one would love it if they could somehow hook Notre Dame in and get them in that rotation. I know UM gets them already annually, but it would add another several awesome match-ups a year.

SouthStndJunkie
06-12-2010, 12:58 AM
I for one would love it if they could somehow hook Notre Dame in and get them in that rotation. I know UM gets them already annually, but it would add another several awesome match-ups a year.

I think there is a 50/50 chance Notre Dame joins the Big Ten.

These bigger more powerful conferences may force their hand....the money they could make in the Big Ten from tv revenue is a lot more than they get from NBC right now.

Nebraska and Notre Dame in the Big Ten....that would be awesome.

SouthStndJunkie
06-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Outside the Alamo bowl I'm at a loss as to when they might have last played. Has Michigan ever visited Lincoln (or vice versa)? One of the strengths of the Big Ten football is the stadiums. Horseshoe, Big House, Camp Randell, Beaver Stadium...huge places full of tradition. Nebraska is looking at adding another 10k seats and more boxes, so Memorial could be going to 90-95,000 in a few years.

I've been to several games at The Shoe and had season tickets for several years at The Big House.

I despise the Buckeyes....but Columbus is a party town on a football weekend and The Shoe is a great stadium.

TexanBob
06-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks, Nebraska.

We're sure sad to see you move on to the Rust Belt Conference but, hey, money's money. We understand.

I'd prefer to remember the good times: The time we kicked your ass in the inaugural Big XII Championship Game even though you were ranked third and we were ranked 20th. Then there's the fact that you couldn't beat us in your own home stadium. Gee, you'd have those nice, pretty home winning streaks until Texas would show up and then -poof- that winning streak was gone; whether it came from a last-second touchdown or a last-second field goal, the Longhorns always came away with the win. And then there's that final Big XII Championship game where you had the game won only to have the Horns get one second put back on the clock and win the title.

Yeah, we'll miss putting the Big Red in their place. It was truly a lot of fun.

But, enjoy the Rust Belt Conference. Clearly, you don't need to play basketball very well to join up with those boys. I mean, look at Penn State. So the Rust Belt is a good fit for you guys. And instead of getting your straw hats handed to you by Texas and Oklahoma, it'll now come from Ohio State and Michigan. And nothing will have changed.

Good luck, bugeaters. We'll miss ya.

Garcia Bronco
06-12-2010, 07:26 AM
I bet NU wins 4 of the next 6 Big 12(new) championships.

FADERPROOF
06-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks, Nebraska.

We're sure sad to see you move on to the Rust Belt Conference but, hey, money's money. We understand.

I'd prefer to remember the good times: The time we kicked your ass in the inaugural Big XII Championship Game even though you were ranked third and we were ranked 20th. Then there's the fact that you couldn't beat us in your own home stadium. Gee, you'd have those nice, pretty home winning streaks until Texas would show up and then -poof- that winning streak was gone; whether it came from a last-second touchdown or a last-second field goal, the Longhorns always came away with the win. And then there's that final Big XII Championship game where you had the game won only to have the Horns get one second put back on the clock and win the title.

But, enjoy the Rust Belt Conference. Clearly, you don't need to play basketball very well to join up with those boys. I mean, look at Penn State. So the Rust Belt is a good fit for you guys. And instead of getting your straw hats handed to you by Texas and Oklahoma, it'll now come from Ohio State and Michigan. And nothing will have changed.

Blame Texas for the Big 12 break-up, if it werent for the Longhorns then the Big 12 would've had their own network and be that power conference that they should've been.

Longhorns didn't want to give up their own TV contracts, so teams are now going where the money is.

FADERPROOF
06-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I think there is a 50/50 chance Notre Dame joins the Big Ten.

These bigger more powerful conferences may force their hand....the money they could make in the Big Ten from tv revenue is a lot more than they get from NBC right now.

Nebraska and Notre Dame in the Big Ten....that would be awesome.

Notre Dame will be pigeon-holed into joining the Big 10...especially if the Big East disbands and joins Big 10/ACC/SEC. ND schedule won't match well with the power conferences and going 9-3 against teams like army navy, syracuse, and uconn isn't going to get them to sniff a BCS bowl.

Also they might lose USC and stanford as annual games, cause if the PAC-10 has texas, texas tech, A&M, oklahoma, Okla St and Colorado on top of oregon, UCLA, Arizona st, then why would they keep scheduling another big non-conference game? The PAC-10 schedule is brutal enough basically and those teams have every right to schedule cupcakes in the non-conference.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Think they'll match them up right off the bat in 2011? Iowa's going to be the obvious rivalry for Nebraska, but I know there's at least one guy looking forward to returning to the Shoe.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zLEDkZ2IEmU/SoLhZWPwgDI/AAAAAAAAAf8/WE6MDLwvpxw/s320/2004349000.jpg

Bo will probably the next head coach of OSU when Tressel retires in about 5 years. :)

Kaylore
06-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Two teams with the most annoying fan bases in the world in the same conference.

FADERPROOF
06-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Bo will probably the next head coach of OSU when Tressel retires in about 5 years. :)

Hoping it's more like 20 years

Tombstone RJ
06-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Can't wait to b****-slap your team all over the field.

Sincerely,

THE Ohio State Buckeyes

They are just running from CU. Now they only have to play CU in the rosebowl, which will never happen...

StugotsIII
06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
I bet NU wins 4 of the next 6 Big 12(new) championships.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Your dumb.

Eldorado
06-12-2010, 09:04 AM

You're breathing through your mouth. Ergo you're a mouth breather.

Dukes
06-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I dont like Ohio St at all as a Miami fan. But as a CU alum I f***in HATE Nebraska! The kind of hate only slightly less than my hate for the Raiders

CU Alum who's a fan of Miami? How does that work?

NOLA Bronco
06-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Very glad to be getting away from cu and texass. Outside of lsu, they have some of the most self righteous fans.

Kinda funny that cu used to tout their academics and here they are losing scholarships.

I saw Texas fans cheer injuries to Tulane football players when they were up 4 td's. Also saw their hoops fans going psycho on Syracuse fans at the final four. Classless to the bone.

broncswin
06-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Very glad to be getting away from cu and texass. Outside of lsu, they have some of the most self righteous fans.

Kinda funny that cu used to tout their academics and here they are losing scholarships.

I saw Texas fans cheer injuries to Tulane football players when they were up 4 td's. Also saw their hoops fans going psycho on Syracuse fans at the final four. Classless to the bone.

As a Cu fan the feeling is mutual for you f-ing Husker fans...but I am gonna miss the intense rivalry..when both teams are clicking...it is one hellavu atmosphere!:thumbsup:

Kid A
06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks, Nebraska.

:rofl:

For the record both OU and Texas were much better than Nebraska during the Big XII time period. Hell, OU has certainly owned your ass the entire time too. And yet, most Nebraska fans are still rather fond of OU. It couldn't have anything to do with the respective fans of those teams could it...

But, yeah, we called your bluff (asking us specifically to commit while you were in talks with just about every other conference in the country? nice try) and now you can go default to that super conference. Spoiler alert! The Cali boys probably won't want to move the league offices and championship game permanently to Texas! They might not be crazy about you starting a Longhorn Network either. Get ready to sign the dotted line for a Pac-16 network.

If you think the Big Ten is going to overwhelm Nebraska...you really haven't been watching football the last few years. I have huge respect for the programs there, but outside OSU very few of the teams have been at their best lately, let alone Texas/OU level of the last few years. We'll lose some, but we'll win plenty too. And we won't be in a league that kowtows to the desires of a single team.

P.S. We did avenge that 99 loss at home to Texas by smacking you down in the championship game later that year. Also during the Big XII years: Nebraska had 2 conference titles, 1 national title. Texas had 2 conference titles, 1 national title. You really put all that Texas talent and dominant teams to good use there, Horns.

TexanBob
06-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Hell, OU has certainly owned your ass the entire time too.

Wrong again:

2005: Texas 45, Oklahoma 12
2006: Texas 28, Oklahoma 10
2007: Oklahoma 28, Texas 21
2008: Texas 45, Oklahoma 35
2009: Texas 16, Oklahoma 13

Actually, the series goes in spurts. Texas has won 4 of the last 5 but Oklahoma has won 6 of the last 10 and Texas has won 7 of the last 13.

Kid A
06-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Wrong again:

2005: Texas 45, Oklahoma 12
2006: Texas 28, Oklahoma 10
2007: Oklahoma 28, Texas 21
2008: Texas 45, Oklahoma 35
2009: Texas 16, Oklahoma 13

Actually, the series goes in spurts. Texas has won 4 of the last 5 but Oklahoma has won 6 of the last 10 and Texas has won 7 of the last 13.

Fair enough, but still: OU 6 Big XII championships, Texas 2. The defining football team of the Big XII was OU, and it isn't that close.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Two teams with the most annoying fan bases in the world in the same conference.

Whatever you say big boy.

Garcia Bronco
06-12-2010, 12:04 PM

Nebraska is the best team in iBig10 already

Kid A
06-12-2010, 12:08 PM

I'd say the title stays with the Buckeyes until someone knocks them off. If NU can continue the improvement they've shown under Pelini they should be in the hunt right away, but they still have a lot to prove when it comes to finishing big games.

Wes Mantooth
06-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Pac-10 before adding Colorado is better than this Conference.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Pac-10 before adding Colorado is better than this Conference.

Let's not get carried away here. The only consistently good team in the Pac 10 has been USC. Now that it appears that USC will be on sanctions (and has been cheating) for the next few years, I don't know if they have one quality team in that conference. Hell, even Oregon is going to be a little down this year. I'd take 3 teams in the Big Ten above the Pac-10 (Ohio St., Iowa, and Wisconsin) this year. I mean, who is now the best team in the Pac-10?

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Hilarious! I like Nebraska though, they will be a nice addition to the most powerful conference in the NCAA.

Cito Pelon
06-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Pretty weird to see Nebraska go to another conference.

Hell, Nebraska was one of the charter members of the Big Eight in 1907. The Big Eight and its later additions is now torn to pieces.

My family is in an uproar.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd say the title stays with the Buckeyes until someone knocks them off. If NU can continue the improvement they've shown under Pelini they should be in the hunt right away, but they still have a lot to prove when it comes to finishing big games.

Nebraska is well on their way and Pelini does have a lot to do with it. He will continue to recruit well and Nebraska will only get better and better. Frankly, I think Nebraska will also be more competitive because they play similar football to what is played throughout the Big 10. BTW, why does Ohio produce so many great coaches? Pelini, Tressel, Meyer, Stoops and Miles just to name a few.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Hoping it's more like 20 years

Same here. He's a very underrated coach. While I do get frustrated with the OSU offense at times and have wanted Tressel to hire an offensive coordinator, how can you really argue with his success. We are also set for the next several years on the recruiting front, have you seen our class thus far, the defensive line is just sick (on paper that is) and next year looks even better. OSU is going to be competitive for a while and I don't know who is really going to challenge them in conference. I mean, I do expect the usual suspects to be tough, but I don't know if there is another team in conference with anywhere near the talent of OSU.

Wes Mantooth
06-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Let's not get carried away here. The only consistently good team in the Pac 10 has been USC. Now that it appears that USC will be on sanctions (and has been cheating) for the next few years, I don't know if they have one quality team in that conference. Hell, even Oregon is going to be a little down this year. I'd take 3 teams in the Big Ten above the Pac-10 (Ohio St., Iowa, and Wisconsin) this year. I mean, who is now the best team in the Pac-10?

That is not true. Oregon, Oregon State and Arizona are all just as consistent. Remember that Reggie Bush was not juicing, he and his family were receiving benefits. Has nothing to do with his performance.

Oregon has traveled to Michigan two years ago and played Purdue home and away. They won each and every one of those games. We get to see Oregon State I believe the next two years up against Wisconsin so we can test that theory.

Remember also that USC was the 4th best team in the conference and beat Ohio State at home.

I like the Pac-10 odds.

FADERPROOF
06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Nebraska is well on their way and Pelini does have a lot to do with it. He will continue to recruit well and Nebraska will only get better and better. Frankly, I think Nebraska will also be more competitive because they play similar football to what is played throughout the Big 10. BTW, why does Ohio produce so many great coaches? Pelini, Tressel, Meyer, Stoops and Miles just to name a few.

Similiar football is the reason why I like NU in the Big 10. A do think that a good amount of Michigans struggles lately are due to Rich Rodriguez' style of offense does not mesh well with the big defenses the Big 10 has. Ohio State's smallest starting LB last year was Brian Rolle at 240 lbs, and Iowa Wisconsin and Penn State all bring big kids in that don't get pushed around a lot out there.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 12:57 PM
That is not true. Oregon, Oregon State and Arizona are all just as consistent. Remember that Reggie Bush was not juicing, he and his family were receiving benefits. Has nothing to do with his performance.

Oregon has traveled to Michigan two years ago and played Purdue home and away. They won each and every one of those games. We get to see Oregon State I believe the next two years up against Wisconsin so we can test that theory.

Remember also that USC was the 4th best team in the conference and beat Ohio State at home.

I like the Pac-10 odds.

Here's the thing though, I wouldn't consider those to be quality victories. Michigan and Purdue (Yes, I know that they beat OSU last year) have been middle to end of the pack teams in the Big 10 the last couple of years, while Oregon is one of the best in the Pac 10. Concerning USC and OSU, I can't defend that, you're right, they beat OSU last year at the beginning of the year. I guess I can only counter with they beat the PAC-10's best team when it mattered most. My point about USC has to do with their future, not their past, they are going to have less scholarships to offer which will affect the quality of the product they put on the field. Bush wasn't juicing, but please don't tell me that you don't think Cushing hasn't been juicing. Concerning Arizona, they have not been above 8-5 for the last four years, I don't consider that impressive. I'd still take Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio St. over any team in the PAC 10 (I think USC could be tough, depends on if kids transfer out, Oregon, they have had a lot of issues this offseason, Oregon St. will be pretty solid. I see Stanford and Washington as teams that will be soild as well) as it currently stands, I might even take Penn. St.. That might be a stretch, but only because of their QB situation.

oubronco
06-12-2010, 01:18 PM
fair enough, but still: Ou 6 big xii championships, texas 2. The defining football team of the big xii was ou, and it isn't that close.

booooooooooooooooooomer!!!!!! ;d

oubronco
06-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Nebraska is the best team in the Big10 already

:spit: :spit: :spit:

Florida_Bronco
06-12-2010, 01:44 PM
This is going to be a fun rivalry.

theAPAOps5
06-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I am just glad Nebraska said eff you to Texas and their lame bullying. Texas not wanting to compromise killed the Big 12. Only thing Nebraska has done that I applaud. Good job corn heads!

SouthStndJunkie
06-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Bull****

Ohio State is the best team in the Big Ten.

Man-Goblin
06-12-2010, 03:23 PM
It's funny, but I hate Nebraska a lot less the last couple days.

NOLA Bronco
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
As a Cu fan the feeling is mutual for you f-ing Husker fans...but I am gonna miss the intense rivalry..when both teams are clicking...it is one hellavu atmosphere!:thumbsup:

There was no rivalry. Only every so often could cu play at the level on Nebraska.

Rabb
06-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Here's the thing though, I wouldn't consider those to be quality victories. Michigan and Purdue (Yes, I know that they beat OSU last year) have been middle to end of the pack teams in the Big 10 the last couple of years, while Oregon is one of the best in the Pac 10. Concerning USC and OSU, I can't defend that, you're right, they beat OSU last year at the beginning of the year. I guess I can only counter with they beat the PAC-10's best team when it mattered most. My point about USC has to do with their future, not their past, they are going to have less scholarships to offer which will affect the quality of the product they put on the field. Bush wasn't juicing, but please don't tell me that you don't think Cushing hasn't been juicing. Concerning Arizona, they have not been above 8-5 for the last four years, I don't consider that impressive. I'd still take Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio St. over any team in the PAC 10 (I think USC could be tough, depends on if kids transfer out, Oregon, they have had a lot of issues this offseason, Oregon St. will be pretty solid. I see Stanford and Washington as teams that will be soild as well) as it currently stands, I might even take Penn. St.. That might be a stretch, but only because of their QB situation.

damn right, but I'm a Hawkeye :strong:

Kid A
06-12-2010, 04:27 PM
There was no rivalry. Only every so often could cu play at the level on Nebraska.

It was a rivalry. It began when both teams were perennial top 5. It included some great escapes by Nebraska and some substantial upsets by CU. Only occasionally was it really ugly, and the two times that come to mind it was actually an upset (CU 62-36 in 2001 and NU 30-3 in 2005).

FADERPROOF
06-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Same here. He's a very underrated coach. While I do get frustrated with the OSU offense at times and have wanted Tressel to hire an offensive coordinator, how can you really argue with his success. We are also set for the next several years on the recruiting front, have you seen our class thus far, the defensive line is just sick (on paper that is) and next year looks even better. OSU is going to be competitive for a while and I don't know who is really going to challenge them in conference. I mean, I do expect the usual suspects to be tough, but I don't know if there is another team in conference with anywhere near the talent of OSU.

Our class looks sick already, and we have the heir apparent to Terrell Pryor in Braxton Miller coming in next year as well.

Tressel gets me so steamed up when Ohio State is on offense, but his tressel ball system works so it's tough to want him to do other offenses sets out there. Control clock on offense and get turnovers on defense, pretty much his philosophy in a nutshell, frustrating as hell to see him not take chances and not go for the jugular when we have all momentum but sure enough he gets the job done.

SouthStndJunkie
06-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Our class looks sick already, and we have the heir apparent to Terrell Pryor in Braxton Miller coming in next year as well.

Tressel gets me so steamed up when Ohio State is on offense, but his tressel ball system works so it's tough to want him to do other offenses sets out there. Control clock on offense and get turnovers on defense, pretty much his philosophy in a nutshell, frustrating as hell to see him not take chances and not go for the jugular when we have all momentum but sure enough he gets the job done.

You Buckeye fans crack me up when you b**** about Jim Tressel....although you're not as bad as most Buckeye fans when it comes to this.

It used to be F John Cooper....he can't beat Michigan.

Jim Tressel comes in and beats Michigan almost every year, wins Big Ten titles, a National Championship and puts them in position to win a few more....and Buckeye fan still b****es and moans.

I live in Ohio....I realize that is simply how Buckeye Fan is wired.

FADERPROOF
06-12-2010, 04:54 PM
You Buckeye fans crack me up when you b**** about Jim Tressel....although you're not as bad as most Buckeye fans when it comes to this.

Jim Tressel comes in and beats Michigan almost every year, wins Big Ten titles, a National Championship and puts them in position to win a few more....and Buckeye fan still b****es and moans.

During games I'll complain, because it is frustrating to watch this team's offense at times. But again, his track record speaks for itself and I'm not about to say that Tressel needs to change his style of coaching because it's what he' comfortable with and if its not broke don't fix it.

Especially when the times he does take chances, they always seem to bite OSU in the ass.

SportinOne
06-12-2010, 05:43 PM
you're all forgetting one important factor.. Nebraska basketball just added 2 wins to everyone's schedule.

NICE

Kid A
06-12-2010, 06:20 PM
you're all forgetting one important factor.. Nebraska basketball just added 2 wins to everyone's schedule.

NICE

ROFL! The true reason Bill Self was upset about us leaving.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM

You're 100% right. We do tend to b**** about Tressel too much. He is a great football coach. Frankly, the offense was amazing when Troy Smith was there and I think to many Buckeye fans expected Pryor to be Smith. He might be, we will know this year for sure.

ohiobronco2
06-12-2010, 08:01 PM
damn right, but I'm a Hawkeye :strong:

;D Iowa is going to be very, very good this year. May be a stumbling block for Ohio St. Their freshmen QB last year was very impressive in the Shoe and his mother wasn't half bad looking either.

NOLA Bronco
06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
It was a rivalry. It began when both teams were perennial top 5. It included some great escapes by Nebraska and some substantial upsets by CU. Only occasionally was it really ugly, and the two times that come to mind it was actually an upset (CU 62-36 in 2001 and NU 30-3 in 2005).

Lol. It might have been a rivalry to you, but it wasn't to me. Cu was never "perennial" top 5. The 2001 game was great for cu - so great that they put it on their championship rings. That's right, a win over nebraska was such a big deal you put it on a ring.

Kid A
06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Lol. It might have been a rivalry to you, but it wasn't to me. Cu was never "perennial" top 5. The 2001 game was great for cu - so great that they put it on their championship rings. That's right, a win over nebraska was such a big deal you put it on a ring.

Dude, I'm a Nebraska fan. I can't believe I'm deffending the Buffs here, but they were regularly a top ranked team for a stretch when we played: http://www.huskerpedia.com/games/buffs.html

CU's ranking when we played:

1988- 19th
1989- 2nd
1990- 9th
1991- 15th
1992- 8th
1993- 20th
1994- 2nd
1995- 7th
1996- 5th

Those were years we were obviously good too. Those are some marquee matchups every year for almost a decade. Add in substantial animosity on both sides and that is what I would call a rivalry. I haven't always been wild about CU and their fans either, but this whole refusal by some Nebraska fans to acknowledge it was a rivalry makes no sense.

broncswin
06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Dude, I'm a Nebraska fan. I can't believe I'm deffending the Buffs here, but they were regularly a top ranked team for a stretch when we played: http://www.huskerpedia.com/games/buffs.html

CU's ranking when we played:

1988- 19th
1989- 2nd
1990- 9th
1991- 15th
1992- 8th
1993- 20th
1994- 2nd
1995- 7th
1996- 5th

Those were years we were obviously good too. Those are some marquee matchups every year for almost a decade. Add in substantial animosity on both sides and that is what I would call a rivalry. I haven't always been wild about CU and their fans either, but this whole refusal by some Nebraska fans to acknowledge it was a rivalry makes no sense.

Ya fans like NOLA bronco are the reason that a fan base of certain teams get a bad name...I will miss the great rivalry that was formed with these two teams..it really didn't matter about season records when they met...you never knew what you were gonna get...Go CU and kick some a## in the big ten Shuckers...Maybe someday we meet for the big one!

FADERPROOF
06-12-2010, 09:20 PM

This type of fan is what the Big 12 won't miss about Nebraska leaving.

FADERPROOF
06-13-2010, 08:20 AM

As for your team's coach, I'm fairly certain Rich Rod will get the boot this year unless he really pulls a hell of a season out(10-2, split Big 10 title, BCS game), which I don't see...gauging Michigan around 7-5, 8-4 this year.

But then I think they will get Les Miles to leave LSU and take the job, like he was going to back in 2007. Michigan will become Michigan again, and as much as I have loved this past decade of Buckeye dominance, it's always best for college football and the Big 10 to have both Ohio State and Michigan as top 5-10 teams in the country.

Actually making my first trip to the Big House this year, one of my best friends is a Michigan fan, originally from Bowling Green and is a BGSU alum so he got tickets for the Michigan-BGSU game this season. Asked if I wanted to go and as much as I do not like the Wolverines, I'm not gonna pass up a chance to attend a football game and see one of the most historic stadiums in the country. Plus we plan on heading into detroit afterwards and hit up the MGM grand, so added incentive for me to ride up there for the game.

Broncofan_H
06-13-2010, 09:08 AM
but this whole refusal by some Nebraska fans to acknowledge it was a rivalry makes no sense.

The only thing anyone with a brain needs to know is they play the Colorado/Nebraska game on national TV on the day after Thanksgiving during RIVALRY WEEKEND. :wave:

Sorry Nebraska fans, it was a rivalry. It's a shame that Nebraska was down for a while, and now CU is down because as you posted, from the late 80's to the late 90's, those were fun times.

Tombstone RJ
06-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I grew up hating the red N. We always made fun of Nebraska and everyone said the "N" stood for "knowledge" bwaaaahahahaha! Anyway, I'm glad Nebraska is in the Big 10 because right or wrong, the Big 12 offered their football program nothing. CU sucks cow balls and has been californicated to death. They will go to the Pac 10 so they can coddle and mingle with their california fans who think they own Colorado.

SouthStndJunkie
06-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm hoping teams are still able to find a way to schedule out of conference games to keeps some of these rivalries intact.

I would love to see Colorado and Nebraska square off out of conference when possible to keep the rivalry alive and well.

ColoradoBuff
06-13-2010, 07:26 PM

put the pipe down 'bro! not even close! Hilarious!

Rabb
06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
;D Iowa is going to be very, very good this year. May be a stumbling block for Ohio St. Their freshmen QB last year was very impressive in the Shoe and his mother wasn't half bad looking either.

Man I would love that...that young QB we have could be something else

I've never really fooled myself into thinking we will have a national champ type squad (our non conference scheduling always sucks and we ALWAYS manage to **** the bed against Iowa State or someone equally crappy, then go on to upset someone) but I am usually pretty happy with the end results

I just wish we were more consistent, I am just glad Stanzi is almost done...drives me crazy

SouthStndJunkie
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I was thinking about how the Big Ten may divide up the conference into 2 divisions.

If they go geographically, it would probably break down like this:

West - Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Minnesota

East - Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana.

It makes sense from a geographic standpoint.

Not sure that I would like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Sparty all in the same division....Nebraska and Iowa would have a much easier division to win in my opinion, although Wisconsin is no pushover.

SouthStndJunkie
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Nebraska will be in line for estimated $22 million that each Big Ten school contemplates securing from annual television revenue. During the 2008-09 year, for example, the Big Ten scooped a reported $242 million from various TV earnings. The Big 12, by comparison, generated $78 million, or $6.5 million per school.

Kid A
06-14-2010, 12:22 AM
I was thinking about how the Big Ten may divide up the conference into 2 divisions.

If they go geographically, it would probably break down like this:

West - Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Minnesota

East - Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana.

It makes sense from a geographic standpoint.

Not sure that I would like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Sparty all in the same division....Nebraska and Iowa would have a much easier division to win in my opinion, although Wisconsin is no pushover.

Interesting video on the division question on the front page of the Big Ten Network site: http://www.bigtennetwork.com/

I think the East - West solution is the 2nd most likely alignment. More likely, in my mind, is something that generally goes geographically, but makes a point to divvy up the traditional powers more evenly. Like putting Michigan and Nebraska on one side, OSU and Penn State on the other.

They would still obviously lock in the OSU-Michigan game every year, but this way nobody complains that one divisions is too top heavy. Main issue here is that OSU-Michigan (which has to still be the final regular season game) could happen two weeks in a row if there is a championship game added and they win their respective divisions. But maybe some people would be okay with that.

I'd be okay with either way. Given the ups and downs of programs I'd lean toward a geographic alignment, but flipping Michigan over might work. Of course if we just go off where the programs were in the polls as of last year the geography way isn't bad:

West - Illinois (Not ranked), Northwestern (NR), Iowa (#7), Nebraska (#14), Wisconsin (#16) and Minnesota (NR)

East - Penn State (#9), Ohio State (#5), Michigan (NR), Michigan State (NR), Purdue (NR) and Indiana (NR).

jhns
06-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I do love this move. ESPN has an article that shows the Big 10 now has 4 of the 7 teams with over 800 all time wins. If they can somehow get Notre Dame to join, they would have 5 of 7. That is a lot of history.

FADERPROOF
06-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Interesting video on the division question on the front page of the Big Ten Network site: http://www.bigtennetwork.com/

I think the East - West solution is the 2nd most likely alignment. More likely, in my mind, is something that generally goes geographically, but makes a point to divvy up the traditional powers more evenly. Like putting Michigan and Nebraska on one side, OSU and Penn State on the other.

They would still obviously lock in the OSU-Michigan game every year, but this way nobody complains that one divisions is too top heavy. Main issue here is that OSU-Michigan (which has to still be the final regular season game) could happen two weeks in a row if there is a championship game added and they win their respective divisions. But maybe some people would be okay with that.

I'd be okay with either way. Given the ups and downs of programs I'd lean toward a geographic alignment, but flipping Michigan over might work. Of course if we just go off where the programs were in the polls as of last year the geography way isn't bad:

West - Illinois (Not ranked), Northwestern (NR), Iowa (#7), Nebraska (#14), Wisconsin (#16) and Minnesota (NR)

East - Penn State (#9), Ohio State (#5), Michigan (NR), Michigan State (NR), Purdue (NR) and Indiana (NR).

I have a feeling that they're gonna split Michigan-Ohio State up in divisions, they'll still play every year but the chances of them meeting for the Big 10(12) title is a big time appeal.

where would the title game be held? Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis? Ford field already hosts the MAC championship game and Indy is where the Big 10 basketball conference tournament is held so it would make sense to host the football conference championship there as well.

Kid A
06-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I have a feeling that they're gonna split Michigan-Ohio State up in divisions, they'll still play every year but the chances of them meeting for the Big 10(12) title is a big time appeal.

where would the title game be held? Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis? Ford field already hosts the MAC championship game and Indy is where the Big 10 basketball conference tournament is held so it would make sense to host the football conference championship there as well.

I know Soldier Field in December might not sound like an attractive vacation for traveling fans, but I think it would make for a cool setting. Maybe just try it one year at least. Indy and Detroit seem like the logical options otherwise.

FADERPROOF
06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I know Soldier Field in December might not sound like an attractive vacation for traveling fans, but I think it would make for a cool setting. Maybe just try it one year at least. Indy and Detroit seem like the logical options otherwise.

Just got off the phone with a friend and we were discussing how great it would be to get the Big 10(12) title game here in Cleveland.

It fits the Big 10, no warm climate teams and Minnesota is the only team that plays in a dome, and if they do make the conference title game then they can hold practices outside for those 2 weeks to get acquianted with the surroundings.

That would just be awesome to get a title game in cold weather, I'm hoping for it but I imagine it will go to a dome.

bronco militia
06-16-2010, 02:48 PM
It fits the Big 10, no warm climate teams and Minnesota is the only team that plays in a dome, .

they don't play at the Dome anymore

bronco militia
06-16-2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.gopherhole.com/images/tcf2/2.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm happy Minnesota built an outdoor stadium....the Metrodome was a **** hole and not a place Big Ten football should be played.

FADERPROOF
06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.gopherhole.com/images/tcf2/2.jpg

About f'ing time!!!

Kid A
06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend and we were discussing how great it would be to get the Big 10(12) title game here in Cleveland.

It fits the Big 10, no warm climate teams and Minnesota is the only team that plays in a dome, and if they do make the conference title game then they can hold practices outside for those 2 weeks to get acquianted with the surroundings.

That would just be awesome to get a title game in cold weather, I'm hoping for it but I imagine it will go to a dome.

The Big XII title game when it was in KC was pretty damn cold a few of the years. Of course by the end they wanted to permanently move it to Jerry World, so I'm not sure if that was a success story for cold weather championships. I agree it just seems right, though.

FADERPROOF
06-16-2010, 07:12 PM
The Big XII title game when it was in KC was pretty damn cold a few of the years. Of course by the end they wanted to permanently move it to Jerry World, so I'm not sure if that was a success story for cold weather championships. I agree it just seems right, though.

Problem with the Big 12(10) title game in KC was the Texas teams are all so used to warm dry climate that there was enough complaints to move it indoors. Same with SEC, ACC, and soon to be Pac-10(12), warm weather climate schools won't ever play outdoors or out the normal climate.

Big 10(12) though, we're built for the rugged cold climates, it's part of the culture and we love watching cold, snowy games. It would be great sticking the title game out in the elements of Chicago or Cleveland, the teams all fight hard out in the cold each week, put the title game out there and let them fight for it.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2010, 10:44 PM
It's looking like Nebraska and Penn State will be in the same division in the Big Ten:

To maintain competitive football fairness -- Delany's top priority -- Penn State and Nebraska would probably be placed in the division opposite U-M and OSU.

StugotsIII
07-03-2010, 10:50 PM
It's looking like Nebraska and Penn State will be in the same division in the Big Ten:

To maintain competitive football fairness -- Delany's top priority -- Penn State and Nebraska would probably be placed in the division opposite U-M and OSU.

UM sucks moose d___.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
UM sucks moose d___.

They certainly have the last 2 years.

Kid A
07-03-2010, 11:20 PM

This move obviously has everything to do with fostering the Nebraska - Penn State rivalry in volleyball.

SouthStndJunkie
07-15-2010, 04:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5383940

Lambeau interested in Big Ten title game

Inkana7
07-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Yes, welcome. Your boring-ass style of play will fit in perfectly with the most boring-ass of the BCS Conferences.

jhns
07-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Yes, welcome. Your boring-ass style of play will fit in perfectly with the most boring-ass of the BCS Conferences.

Boring style of play? Can you expand on this? What systems do you think make for entertaining football? I thought a few of Nebraskas games were some of the most entertaining games played last year. The Big 12 title game was the most entertaining football game I watched last year. It was also the longest at 60:01.

Victor
07-16-2010, 02:55 PM
UM sucks moose d___.

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/logo.jpg

We may not be good, but...our mascot is very happy.

http://www.knowname.com/images/logo_1_2.gif

Inkana7
07-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Boring style of play? Can you expand on this? What systems do you think make for entertaining football? I thought a few of Nebraskas games were some of the most entertaining games played last year. The Big 12 title game was the most entertaining football game I watched last year. It was also the longest at 60:01.

Hey, I like defense, but at the same time, the 3 yards and a pile of dust routine gets old after a while.

DBroncos4life
07-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey, I like defense, but at the same time, the 3 yards and a pile of dust routine gets old after a while.

There wasn't a whole lot of talent on the O last year. Trust me the recruiting has been much much better in that area last year and this year.

Kid A
07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
boring style of play? Can you expand on this? What systems do you think make for entertaining football? I thought a few of nebraskas games were some of the most entertaining games played last year. The big 12 title game was the most entertaining football game i watched last year. it was also the longest at 60:01.

:rofl!:

RonDaChamp24
07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Penn state!!!

SouthStndJunkie
07-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Penn state!!!

Joe Pa steals this commercial on the Big Ten Network:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfLYO3F4D78&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfLYO3F4D78&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

SouthStndJunkie
08-06-2010, 12:07 AM
ANDERSON, Ind. -- The Big Ten Conference has chosen Lucas Oil Stadium in downtown Indianapolis as the site for its first football championship game in 2011.

ZachKC
08-06-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm hoping teams are still able to find a way to schedule out of conference games to keeps some of these rivalries intact.

I would love to see Colorado and Nebraska square off out of conference when possible to keep the rivalry alive and well.

Why would they do that. lol

Colorado needs to focus on not having a program that isn't an embarrassment top to bottom first.

Kid A
08-06-2010, 08:22 AM
ANDERSON, Ind. -- The Big Ten Conference has chosen Lucas Oil Stadium in downtown Indianapolis as the site for its first football championship game in 2011.

Seems like an obvious choice, and not a bad one. Hopefully they do try to move it around a little over the years and maybe even adventurous, like with the Lambeau proposal.

Kid A
08-07-2010, 02:11 PM
http://detnews.com/article/20100806/SPORTS0203/8060431/1478/rss

If Alvarez's theory comes to fruition, the Tribune's Teddy Greenstein suspects the conference could have an east division constituted of the Buckeyes, Wolverines, Nittany Lions, Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana.

Under this scenario, a west division would be constituted of Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Nebraska should dominate that West Division...

ZachKC
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Nebraska should dominate that West Division...

Eh, Iowa knows how to play ball and I doubt Illinois stays ****ty forever.

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
The Big Ten will announce its much-anticipated, two six-team divisional setup for the 2011-12 season later Wednesday, with traditional football powers Ohio State and Michigan in opposing divisions and new member Nebraska aligned with the Wolverines.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the two divisions in the Big Ten will look like:

• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Drek
09-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Missouri should've been part of this move. They're such a great fit for the Big 12 with natural rivalries throughout the region and a solid program to up the level of competition.

But I guess, then you've got 13 teams. Little awkward. Maybe the Big 10 is still fantasizing about ND joining and using Mizzou as the 14th team then.

Rohirrim
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
This will be the weirdest day-after-Thanksgiving with no CU/Nebraska game.

SouthStndJunkie
09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Michigan and Ohio State will still play at the end of the regular season, according to various reports. This is a change from the original plan -- to move The Game to October or early November -- and for that, the fans deserve credit. They spoke up, and the Big Ten backed down. Fans don’t have enough say in sports. So it’s heartwarming that, in this case, voices were heard.

Rock Chalk
09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Missouri should've been part of this move. They're such a great fit for the Big 12 with natural rivalries throughout the region and a solid program to up the level of competition.

But I guess, then you've got 13 teams. Little awkward. Maybe the Big 10 is still fantasizing about ND joining and using Mizzou as the 14th team then.

Mizzou does not even come close to teh academic standards required by the Big 10. They were never even offered and their huffing and puffing was just a bluff to the Big 12 to get a bigger piece of the pie and it backfired on them.

jhns
09-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I like the divisions. I am already saving for some road trips those first few years in the Big 10. There are some great stadiums with a ton of history that I would like to see.

SouthStndJunkie
09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I like the divisions. I am already saving for some road trips those first few years in the Big 10. There are some great stadiums with a ton of history that I would like to see.

I've been to a ton of games at the Big House over the years, probably 7 or 8 at The Shoe in Columbus, and a Penn State game in Beaver Stadium.

All are worth the trip.

I dislike Ohio State, but The Shoe is a great place to watch a game and Columbus knows how to party before and after a game.

Kid A
09-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Looks like the Big Ten schedule makers decided to give the new kid a little hazing. With all the division games locked in as well as the assigned annual cross division game with Penn State, that leaves two open slots to fill with any two of the 5 remaining teams in the other division.

And, wouldn't you know it, the two Nebraska draws are Ohio State and Wisconsin. So sorry Illinois, Purdue, Indiana. Maybe a few years down the road.

10/1 at Wisconsin
10/8 Ohio State
10/15 Bye
10/22 at Minnesota
10/29 Michigan State
11/5 Northwestern
11/12 at Penn State
11/19 at Michigan
11/26 Iowa

Love it. Seriously. I mean, yeah it's as tough a schedule as you could make in the Big 10, but why not go baptism by fire? The novelty of Nebraska in the Big 10 will still have national attention, so giving them match-ups in the Shoe and Camp Randall will get eyeballs.

We didn't bolt the Big 12 North to get an easier schedule. We wanted to latch on with a secure and storied conference, and now we'll get to hit all the hot spots early. Might take a few licks, but we're in a division we should be able to compete in even with Iowa being a top 10 team right now and the assumption that Michigan gets its **** together in a couple years.

Only gripe some might have (i.e. Nebraska and Michigan) is the designated cross divisional rival. Michigan, of course, will play OSU every year. Nebraska gets Penn State. Iowa, the other football power in the division? Purdue. Definitely a leg up for the Hawkeyes. Of course we can now look forward to kicking their asses after Thanksgiving each year...

Kid A
09-02-2010, 05:33 PM
10/1 at Wisconsin
10/8 Ohio State
10/15 Bye
10/22 at Minnesota
10/29 Michigan State
11/5 Northwestern
11/12 at Penn State
11/19 at Michigan
11/26 Iowa

Looking at the schedule, these are the two road games I might make a real effort to get to. With the schedule set up we might not go to Madison again for a while. And obviously going to a game @ Michigan is essential at some point in time.