PDA

View Full Version : brady quinn likely to be inactive this year

tsiguy96
06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
mcdaniels said he doesnt want 3 QBs active because it puts you behind in other positions, and tebow will likely be active for situational/goal line packages. should be interesting.

Brady Quinn-QB- Broncos Jun. 11 - 7:01 pm et

Coach Josh McDaniels is leaning toward keeping only two quarterbacks active on game days this season.
Activating a third QB would "put us behind the eight ball at other spots," explained McDaniels. The Broncos will want Tim Tebow active for situational work, so Brady Quinn will likely be the odd man out.

crush17
06-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Huh.

Sodak
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
We'll really be screwed now if Orton goes out with another ankle injury. Stupid.
They should have made Quinn the starter. We know what Orton can do.

gyldenlove
06-11-2010, 05:21 PM
mcdaniels said he doesnt want 3 QBs active because it puts you behind in other positions, and tebow will likely be active for situational/goal line packages. should be interesting.

Coach Josh McDaniels is leaning toward keeping only two quarterbacks active on game days this season.
Activating a third QB would "put us behind the eight ball at other spots," explained McDaniels. The Broncos will want Tim Tebow active for situational work, so Brady Quinn will likely be the odd man out.

I am guessing Quinn might be named the emergency QB.

Popps
06-11-2010, 05:29 PM
We'll really be screwed now if Orton goes out with another ankle injury. Stupid.

Right. We know Orton can be a very competent starter with things working well around him. We also know he has limitations, which is why we went out and acquired a back-up like Quinn... and a guy we're grooming to start. (Tebow.)

That said, it's McDaniels, folks. This guy isn't saying things like this on accident. Every sentence he delivers to the media and players has a point.
Quinn is being put on notice that he's got to win this job. Orton was put on notice when we acquired 2 QBs.

I think everyone needs to stop attempting to make definitive statements about the QB spot right now. We've got a camp and pre-season to get through. A whole lot could happen...

GoBroncos84
06-11-2010, 05:47 PM
This isn't really anything new. If I remember correctly, that's how we did it last year. Brandstater was listed as emergency QB most if not all of the weeks.

Jason in LA
06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Well I'd say that they're going to have the QB competition in training camp before they declare which QB will be inactive.

Why wouldn't they just dress all three and have one as the emergency QB?

Dedhed
06-11-2010, 06:13 PM

How, exactly, would the situation be different if Quinn were the starter and got hurt and Orton is inactive?

Pontius Pirate
06-11-2010, 06:13 PM
This isn't really anything new. If I remember correctly, that's how we did it last year. Brandstater was listed as emergency QB most if not all of the weeks.

So basically Brady Quinn = Brandstater

Brady Quinn is about 4M USD of payroll a year, am I right?

A 4M emergency quarterback. Genius!

Jason in LA
06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Really thinking about it, this does make sense. They'd dress all three. By not making Tebow the emergency QB, he can get some playing time here and their at QB, and they can use him for special packages, if that's what they have planned for him this year. So lets say if Orton is the starter and stinks up the joint, they can't replace him with Quinn until the next game (or vice versa if Quinn wins the starting job).

Dagmar
06-11-2010, 06:22 PM

No.

tsiguy96
06-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Really thinking about it, this does make sense. They'd dress all three. By not making Tebow the emergency QB, he can get some playing time here and their at QB, and they can use him for special packages, if that's what they have planned for him this year. So lets say if Orton is the starter and stinks up the joint, they can't replace him with Quinn until the next game (or vice versa if Quinn wins the starting job).

basically this. if they want tebow on the field, they either keep 3 QBs active, or they move him to "2nd" string and make quinn inactive, the 2nd one makes more sense.

theAPAOps5
06-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Actually they wouldn't be screwed as the QB position has the emergency inactive rule. So it Orton got hurt Brady could come in. If its before the 4th quarter then both Orton and Tebow can no longer come back into the game.

My guess is depending on the week Tebow and Quinn/Orton will be inactive dictated by game planning for that week.

theAPAOps5
06-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Know what happens when you Assume? You post stuff like this and are wrong.

Genius! :twokisses

In reality being inactive would avoid any chance of reaching multi-millions

Jason in LA
06-11-2010, 06:44 PM
basically this. if they want tebow on the field, they either keep 3 QBs active, or they move him to "2nd" string and make quinn inactive, the 2nd one makes more sense.

Or... Orton inactive. ;D

Just making sure you realize that there is the potential of Orton not being named the starting QB coming out of training camp.

Houshyamama
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Totally. Brady Quinn should just give up now.

tsiguy96
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Or... Orton inactive. ;D

Just making sure you realize that there is the potential of Orton not being named the starting QB coming out of training camp.

to be honest i dont think there is a chance of that. they say there is, but at the end of the day, he is the best QB in the system right now, and i dont think its taht close.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Let me get this straight. We traded a RB/FB that has made TDs, for a guy that will literally ride the pine?

Popps
06-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Or... Orton inactive. ;D

Not likely, but definitely possible... and McDaniel's words are nothing more than a method to instill a sense of urgency into both players.

watermock
06-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I actually liked this trade, given that Quinn was rated higher than eithe Orton or Tebow coming out, and Hillis was in the doghouse, but hitching his balls to Tebow this early is odd, considering Orton is a free agent sometime soon.

Just ODD to put Quinn in the doghouse just to get rid of Hillis and lose 2 picks.

This is going to be a dreadfull season against ANY quality.

houghtam
06-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Let me get this straight. We traded a RB/FB that has made TDs, for a guy that will literally ride the pine?

The list of Hillis's accomplishments is long and distinguished.

Yeah? Well so's my Johnson.

QUICK WHAT MOVIE?

Rabb
06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Top Gun

aaaanyway

how anyone thinks we are screwed now after the abomination Simms made the backup position is beyond me

anyone but Simms in relief seems wonderful

Jason in LA
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
to be honest i dont think there is a chance of that. they say there is, but at the end of the day, he is the best QB in the system right now, and i dont think its taht close.

For what ever that's what you want, but as of right now we don't really know if that's the case. Quinn may beat Orton out for the starting job. If there was no chance of Quinn replacing Orton, then he wouldn't have been brought in in the first place.

If Orton wins the job I wouldn't have a negative reaction when it comes to the Orton/Quinn competition because that would have meant that he was simply better than Quinn. But I wonder, what would your reaction be if Quinn was named the starter going into week one?

yerner
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I think this story is wrong. If someone is going to be inactive it's Tebow. In any important game they will need a backup that has played. Tebow will be useless this year.

Hamrob
06-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Quinn will have a hard time beating out Orton...b/c Orton is comfortable with the system and Quinn is still learning it. Lucky for Orton.

However, this gig won't be won until the pre season games are played. Quinn will get his shot with the ones at some point and depending on how those two look in the games that don't count will determine who starts. I'm rooting for Quinn.

Tebow, needs to sit and wait. Play him some in the Wild Horses to energize the fan base and let him learn how to be a QB in the NFL before they plug him in.

Orange4Life
06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't know what the big deal is??? Last year Orton was the only active OB we had for every game.

Kaylore
06-11-2010, 10:08 PM

LOL You must be Ultimate Soldier from the three game period of 2008. I'll catch you up: Last year when Hillis wasn't riding the pine most of the year he was fumbling the ball away and causing penalties. That's who traded for Quinn.

And Quinn could just as easily be the number 2 so Tebow gets more reps as the scout team QB.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2010, 12:20 AM
The list of Hillis's accomplishments is long and distinguished.

Yeah? Well so's my Johnson.

QUICK WHAT MOVIE?

Quick question. How many yards can Quinn get on the inactive list?

listopencil
06-12-2010, 12:39 AM

No, we traded a Running Back that was going to get cut for a Quarterback that might play.

snowspot66
06-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Quick question. How many yards can Quinn get on the inactive list?

How many can Hillis get on the cut list?

colonelbeef
06-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Can't jump to conclusions and assume that Quinn is already the odd man out.

However, if it proves to be true and Quinn ends up being behind Tebow on the depth chart, the trade for Quinn was another blunder, Hillis was a useful player and picks were lost. No other way to view it.

strafen
06-12-2010, 06:29 AM

And what exactly is it that Orton can do?

elsid13
06-12-2010, 06:46 AM
And what exactly is it that Orton can do?

Drink two 5th of Jack Daniels and still out dance this guys:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uCH7sx3QZ5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uCH7sx3QZ5w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Drek
06-12-2010, 07:43 AM

However, if it proves to be true and Quinn ends up being behind Tebow on the depth chart, the trade for Quinn was another blunder, Hillis was a useful player and picks were lost. No other way to view it.

FYI: the 3rd QB can be put on an inactive roster spot and still enter the game in case of emergency.

So if Orton happens to win the job and McDaniels designs a wildcat/spread option package just for Tebow and wants to use said package in a game he can easily have Orton and Tebow active, while Quinn would actually be the #2 should Orton get hurt (running the base offense).

It'd mean we'd have to shelve the Tebow package for the rest of that game (unless Orton goes out in the 4th quarter), but thats it.

Orton and Quinn will almost definitely in some way comprise the #1 and #2 QBs on the team, but our #2 QB will be a gameday inactive emergency QB so that we can make use of Tebow. Nothing more, nothing less.

That is even overlooking the obvious long term benefit of having Quinn under contract for peanuts (assuming he doesn't start 60% of the snaps behind center in 2010) for the next two years. So assuming Tebow develops like McDaniels hopes and takes over the starting QB job in 2011 we will already have a fairly young, system familiar QB to be his backup.

Steve Prefontaine
06-12-2010, 07:47 AM
"brady quinn likely to be inactive this year"

very misleading and a horrible title for this thread.

broncswin
06-12-2010, 08:06 AM
FYI: the 3rd QB can be put on an inactive roster spot and still enter the game in case of emergency.

So if Orton happens to win the job and McDaniels designs a wildcat/spread option package just for Tebow and wants to use said package in a game he can easily have Orton and Tebow active, while Quinn would actually be the #2 should Orton get hurt (running the base offense).

It'd mean we'd have to shelve the Tebow package for the rest of that game (unless Orton goes out in the 4th quarter), but thats it.

Orton and Quinn will almost definitely in some way comprise the #1 and #2 QBs on the team, but our #2 QB will be a gameday inactive emergency QB so that we can make use of Tebow. Nothing more, nothing less.

That is even overlooking the obvious long term benefit of having Quinn under contract for peanuts (assuming he doesn't start 60% of the snaps behind center in 2010) for the next two years. So assuming Tebow develops like McDaniels hopes and takes over the starting QB job in 2011 we will already have a fairly young, system familiar QB to be his backup.

Stop making so much sense on here...we want the drama to take over!!:pimp:

Cito Pelon
06-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Or... Orton inactive. ;D

Well, yeah, but really right now Quinn is far behind Orton's grasp of the O, working with the vets, camaraderie, confidence. It's not even close from everything I've heard so far - and granted, they're not very far into the process.

Quinn is a local media favorite because he'll give lengthy interviews day after day after day, he's alway available. He's putting on the full-court press to woo the local media, but "woo" and "wow" are two different things.

Quinn starting come opening day is potentially possible, but I have a hard time right now seeing that happen. Quinn will have to be consistently head and shoulders better in TC and PS to win the starting job, and I don't think that will occur. Quinn won't be consistently better enough to win over both the vets and the staff.

But, we'll have to wait and see. It's gonna be an interesting battle.

CEH
06-12-2010, 08:47 AM

Who cares. Quinn being the 3rd QB this year means nothing about his future in Denver. Tebow will have to be active for 13 or more games to add value in spaeciality packages . We sucked last year on 3rd and 4th and short and goal line. He should help there. Even Quinn can move more than Orton around the goalline

Look at what Philly did last year with McNabb, Vick and Kolb

Kolb played in only 5 games last year (Vick in 12) yet he's the starter this year with Vick as the #2 McNabb was the lame duck sorta like Orton is this year

Odds are Orton will tweak an ankle like he has the last two years and might miss sigifcant time. He's unrealiable to say the least

My guess would be Quinn and Tebow are the future in Denver. Orton is here in '10 becuase he has a year head start but won't be here in '11

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Win games. That's what Orton can do.

What can Quinn do?

Starting Quinn would be just as big a roll of the dice as deactivating him.

Cito Pelon
06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Win games. That's what Orton can do.

What can Quinn do?

Starting Quinn would be just as big a roll of the dice as deactivating him.

Yeah, to me it's just plain goofy to think Quinn is gonna take over the starting role. Orton has been through the grind with the same core of teammates, they know he can produce to the tune of 21 TD's and only 12 INT's.

They know a little more production from the running game, a little more production from the D and they'll be in the playoffs.

The vets are not gonna be behind a change of starting QB to Quinn. No way they give up a chance at the playoffs to start all over again at QB.

oubronco
06-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Just wait till the season starts before freaking out about a presumption.........sheesh

Los Broncos
06-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Orton led the 2 min drill, finished off with a 15 yard TD.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Hahahaha. Oh man, how about putting Quinn in your avatars now?

Sodak
06-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Actually they wouldn't be screwed as the QB position has the emergency inactive rule. So it Orton got hurt Brady could come in. If its before the 4th quarter then both Orton and Tebow can no longer come back into the game.

My guess is depending on the week Tebow and Quinn/Orton will be inactive dictated by game planning for that week.

Good explanation. Makes sense.

Jason in LA
06-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Orton does have the advantage over Quinn of being in the system for a year. But I think people are making that advantage out to be bigger than it is. Simply being in the system for a year doesn't hand the job to Orton or mean that he is a better fit for the offense. He still has to go out and win the job. Like I said to start this post, being in the system does give him an advantage, but I'm sure Quinn is smart enough to pick it up fairly quickly, so it really comes down to who has the better skills in training camp.

WolfpackGuy
06-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Does Tebow necessarily have to be listed as a QB?

Cito Pelon
06-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Orton does have the advantage over Quinn of being in the system for a year. But I think people are making that advantage out to be bigger than it is. Simply being in the system for a year doesn't hand the job to Orton or mean that he is a better fit for the offense. He still has to go out and win the job. Like I said to start this post, being in the system does give him an advantage, but I'm sure Quinn is smart enough to pick it up fairly quickly, so it really comes down to who has the better skills in training camp.

I think leadership skills between Orton and Quinn will have a lot to do with the final decision. It's not like Quinn is head and shoulders above Orton in athletic ability, arm strength, pocket presence, escapability. I'm thinking the only advantages Quinn has over Orton is he shaves every day, looks better in shorts, and is more media savvy.

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time seeing Quinn win over the vets and staff to start opening day. But, we'll see how it plays out. Quinn could just flat out wow everybody in TC and PS.

Tombstone RJ
06-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Seriously? The Quinn trade a "blunder"? Hillis was a useful player? Hillis was going to get cut and you don't cut useful players. Quinn was traded for chicken scratch and a bag of chips so how is this a "blunder"? I'd rather have Quinn competing at the QB position than Simms and Brandstatter.

Ugly Duck
06-13-2010, 11:26 AM
brady quinn likely to be inactive this year

I don't think so. No coach would give up Hillis, two draft picks, & the remainder of a 1st round salary just to inactivate a guy...

elsid13
06-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't think so. No coach would give up Hillis, two draft picks, & the remainder of a 1st round salary just to inactivate a guy...

tsiguy96 got it wrong(again). Quinn would be the emergency QB, meaning that he will be dressed and eligible to play (with restriction) not inactive. The emergency QB is not counted against the game day roster. Inactive would mean that Quinn wouldn't be in uniform.

Jason in LA
06-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I think leadership skills between Orton and Quinn will have a lot to do with the final decision. It's not like Quinn is head and shoulders above Orton in athletic ability, arm strength, pocket presence, escapability. I'm thinking the only advantages Quinn has over Orton is he shaves every day, looks better in shorts, and is more media savvy.

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time seeing Quinn win over the vets and staff to start opening day. But, we'll see how it plays out. Quinn could just flat out wow everybody in TC and PS.

Based on what Quinn did in Cleveland, you'd be right. But I'm not ready to write the guy off based on what happened in Cleveland. Maybe Quinn wasn't good, or maybe that organization brought him down. If it turns out that Quinn just wasn't any good, then Orton will get the job. But if Quinn turns out to be the real deal that just needed to get away from a horrible team, he might be what the Broncos need, a legit QB.

tsiguy96
06-13-2010, 02:30 PM
tsiguy96 got it wrong(again). Quinn would be the emergency QB, meaning that he will be dressed and eligible to play (with restriction) not inactive. The emergency QB is not counted against the game day roster. Inactive would mean that Quinn wouldn't be in uniform.

i am posting what was on rotoworld, dbag.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM

and Rotoworld doesn't report ****, they repeat other actual news sources and put their own spin on it.

They're like KFFL, they're not a source for anything.

Ugly Duck
06-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Thats wasn't dbag, that was elsid13!

tsiguy96
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM
and Rotoworld doesn't report ****, they repeat other actual news sources and put their own spin on it.

They're like KFFL, they're not a source for anything.

per espn, who rotoworld got the news from:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/24143/broncos-minicamp-observations

Meanwhile, McDaniels said he hasn’t made up his mind yet, but he is leaning toward keeping two quarterbacks active on the game-day 45-man roster because having more would “put us behind the eight ball at other spots.”

McDaniels said he hasn’t decided who his two quarterbacks would be if he goes that route. Currently, Kyle Orton is the starter, Brady Quinn is the backup and Tebow is third string. Even though Tebow has a long way to go, it would be a surprise if he is a game-day inactive.

can you people quit bitching about people posting stuff that is newsworthy? or should we go back to arguing about cutler?

elsid13
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM

So instead of actually spending 2 minutes and thinking about what rotoword was attempted to relay, you decided to create a thread with an inaccurate title and misleading information. Good job. :thumbs:

tsiguy96
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
So instead of actually spending 2 minutes and thinking about what rotoword was attempted to relay, you decided to create a thread with an inaccurate title and misleading information. Good job. :thumbs:

read post above you, you will once again be proven wrong. you should be used to it by now, but it iwll never stop you, right?

elsid13
06-13-2010, 03:39 PM
read post above you, you will once again be proven wrong. you should be used to it by now, but it iwll never stop you, right?

First of all you didn't post the real report til 55 replies in after Herc called you on it.

Second - I called this back in April. That Quinn would be the emergency QB and reason why, so I guess I was wrong there too.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91348&highlight=vick

tsiguy96
06-13-2010, 03:59 PM
First of all you didn't post the real report til 55 replies in after Herc called you on it.

Second - I called this back in April. That Quinn would be the emergency QB and reason why, so I guess I was wrong there too.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91348&highlight=vick

the real report is very clearly on rotoworld, im surprised fi anyone here doesnt go there atleast once a day. i posted the quick recap and the main part of the discussion because the "real report" was 2 sentences, which was mostly said in the original post.

baja
06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
the real report is very clearly on rotoworld, im surprised fi anyone here doesnt go there atleast once a day. i posted the quick recap and the main part of the discussion because the "real report" was 2 sentences, which was mostly said in the original post.

Dude haven't you learned by now the more you try an justify your actions here the more these clowns are going to pile on?

Hint; think junior high.

Just post your threads and let them live of die on their own merit.

Don't feed the monkeys.

Captain 'Dre
06-13-2010, 06:22 PM
I am guessing Quinn might be named the emergency QB.

That's the only approach that makes sense.

Cito Pelon
06-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Based on what Quinn did in Cleveland, you'd be right. But I'm not ready to write the guy off based on what happened in Cleveland. Maybe Quinn wasn't good, or maybe that organization brought him down. If it turns out that Quinn just wasn't any good, then Orton will get the job. But if Quinn turns out to be the real deal that just needed to get away from a horrible team, he might be what the Broncos need, a legit QB.

We're sure gonna find out. I think Orton is a legit QB, and I'm looking forward to see if the O gets a little crisper now he has the O down a little better, has maybe some upgrades on the OL so it's a more balanced O. Remember, Orton was throwing 40+ passes in a lot of games in 2009 because the running game wasn't consistently effective.

If Quinn can run the O better than Orton, that's fine with me. But, as I've been saying all year Quinn has to win the support of the staff AND the vets. If the two are close in TC and PS, Orton will get the nod I think because the staff and vets know already Orton can win games for the team.

Brady will have to really shine, and I don't think he'll do it this year because he has so much to learn and because he doesn't have a track record with the team.

I hope you are objective about the situation and don't automatically find anything bad to say about Orton if he wins he job.