PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh ... Texas and Texas A&M to the Big Ten?

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 01:30 PM
1 pm Pacific Time, Texas and Texas A&M is petitioning to join the Big Ten: http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

Florida_Bronco
06-10-2010, 01:33 PM
That'll take some wind out of the "new" Pac-10's sails.

jhns
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
They just want to be like Nebraska. Then again, who doesn't?

Kid A
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Plus, if it happens, might be OU to the SEC. Very interesting if they do it.

BroncoBuff
Really really bad news.

bronco militia
That'll take some wind out of the "new" Pac-10's sails.

mehh who cares......I wonder what the children of the Corn think :giggle:

Natedog24
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Chip Brown apparently shot down the rumor via his twitter account so I guess we'll see who is right.

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB

Craziness, who knows what is going to happen now...

Florida_Bronco
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Provided the whole conference doesn't end up pandering to them and letting them take a huge portion of the revenue, I'm cool with it.

Kid A
06-10-2010, 01:40 PM

My only qualm would be an obviously tougher schedule, but that's a bull**** thing to worry about if you want to be a top program. Otherwise, brings in more big money, Texas wouldn't be running the league like in the Big XII, and it eliminates any worry about the Texas recruiting being hurt by going to the Ten.

Even in our down years we've always played Texas tough...we just always come up a couple points short, haha. Could really kick start a rivalry.

theAPAOps5
06-10-2010, 01:44 PM
How did Texas convince the Big 10 to all them to come in and take a majority of the cut in revenue and not share? You know like they did to force Nebraska to look for better deals and essentially kill the Big 12?

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Look at it in a practical way: Head west, and the TV markets are massive, truly massive. The Texas+Oklahoma schools would be adding six HUGE top 10/20 TV markets:

Phoenix
Tucson
San Diego
LA
Bay Area
Seattle

And losing just top 20/30 markets:

Kansas City
St Louis

Hard to argue with those numbers. Big Ten would get them Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly, Pittsburgh and Columbus ... but these are overall smaller and shrinking markets. Plus they'd lose the Denver market going Big Ten.

The numbers, and thus the dollars, are better going west.

OBF1
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
1 pm Pacific Time, Texas and Texas A&M is petitioning to join the Big Ten: http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

I would expect nothing less than these 2 schools joining up with the other pussies in the big 10.

Kudo's to Oklahoma for petitioning the SEC, atleast they have the balls to join the toughest conference in the country. :clown:

Kid A
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Look at it in a practical way: Head west, and the TV markets are massive, truly massive. The Texas+Oklahoma schools would be adding six HUGE top 10/20 TV markets:

Phoenix
Tucson
San Diego
LA
Bay Area
Seattle

And losing just top 20/30 markets:

Kansas City
St Louis

Hard to argue with those numbers. Big Ten would get them Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly, Pittsburgh and Columbus ... but these are overall smaller and shrinking markets. Plus they'd lose the Denver market going Big Ten.

The numbers, and thus the dollars, are better going west.

Definitely something to be said for the growing western markets. That said, Big Ten does have an already established national network, major markets in a football crazy part of the country (with a couple exceptions, NCAA football isn't the religion in the Pac-10 that it is in other regions of the US), and the best academic credentials of the major conferences.

Texas has plenty of good choices available. Interesting to see where they choose.

Rabb
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I would expect nothing less than these 2 schools joining up with the other pussies in the big 10.

Kudo's to Oklahoma for petitioning the SEC, atleast they have the balls to join the toughest conference in the country. :clown:

go eff yourself

and go Hawkeyes :~ohyah!:

TexanBob
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Maybe they'll all join together and become the Big 112.

Seriously, I'd hate the thought of Texas in the Big 10. Who wants to merge with the Rust Belt Conference? I'm guessing this is just a sparring match to see who really has the leverage here.

SoonerBronco
06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
KCTV 5 in Kansas City doesnt even have a sports staff. Sounds more like a Mizzou grad with an axe to grind....Someone is feeding Chip Brown info, and so far, he has been dead on. I'll believe him until proven wrong.

OU Athletic Director Joe Castiglione did confirm contact with the SEC though...BUT, he said Texas and OU will go somewhere together.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-10-2010, 02:27 PM
ou athletic director joe castiglione did confirm contact with the sec though...but, he said texas will decide what's best for texas and ou will just follow

fyp

SoonerBronco
06-10-2010, 03:03 PM
fyp

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=13

third blog post down I think....Dave Sittler from the Tulsa World.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=13

third blog post down I think....Dave Sittler from the Tulsa World.

I'm not saying he didn't say it, all I'm saying is that Texas is driving the bus.

24champ
06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Makes sense...BigTen is the top revenue generated conference in the land.

Pac-10 isn't close.

Tombstone RJ
06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Plus, if it happens, might be OU to the SEC. Very interesting if they do it.

Kick up that rivalry with Arkansas! Too bad about the Big 12 football, we hardly knew yah... (Back to the Big 8?).

Nebraska gone
CU gone

Possible gones: Texas, TXA&M and OU.

elsid13
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I was listen to radio to guy from Austin radio , and he is reporting that Texas A&M is looking to move to SEC and leave Texas behind. SEC seem to be really wanting a part of the Texas market and Gene Stallings (on A&M board of regents) is pushing hard for that to happen.

Vegas_Bronco
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Oh, the Buff fans just got a shot of morphine to kill the pain for a few more years....that's all. Now they can excuse their record further b/c they are new in the PAC 10. Hate to say it, but the PAC 10 just looking to rape Denver is all - I'd be very concerned if I were a Buffs fan - PAC 10 is HORRIBLE in bowl series. My prediction is that the Mountain West will continue to grow and hammer on PAC 10 money b/c these programs are built to grow and not sitting on fat cash and 2 deep all americans at each position every year.

Let Boise State into the Mountain West and I'd go head to head with any PAC 10 conglomerate and come out winning record for the next 10 years.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I'd be very concerned if I were a Buffs fan - PAC 10 is HORRIBLE in bowl series.

The Pac Ten had a winning record in bowl games during the 2000s.

The Big Ten was the super conference who was horrible, posting a sub-.500 record in bowl games. That's why the Big Ten is raiding other conferences for powers to become significant again.

SouthStndJunkie
06-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm not buying this rumor at all.

hookemhess
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Maybe they'll all join together and become the Big 112.

Seriously, I'd hate the thought of Texas in the Big 10. Who wants to merge with the Rust Belt Conference? I'm guessing this is just a sparring match to see who really has the leverage here.

Agreed. I'm cool with joining the Pac-10. But the Big 10 blows.

In a perfect world, I'd have us join the SEC. That'd show big brass and make for amazing trips in the fall.

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Apparently it's a bogus report.