PDA

View Full Version : Colorado has officially joined the Pac 10

Cmac821
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Link
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

I know not every one is a Colorado fan but what do you guys think?

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Works for me .... I like it :thumbsup:

Pontius Pirate
06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Pac-11 in the house

jhns
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
They were just scared of Nebraska and had to bail. No one can blaim them.

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2825/bigger16.jpg

Coastal Division
Inland Division

Durango
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
If C-U has 'officially' joined the Pac-10, how does their schedule play out? I assume they schedule well in advance of upcoming seasons, so, does anyone know how long they continue with a Big 12 schedule before integrating the Ariz State's and USC's?

Cmac821
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I am happy Colorado made the first move so they didn't get screwed, suck it Baylor

crush17
06-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Curious-- how does this work now then?

There's 16 teams in the conference, are these teams only going to play "in conference" games all season??

Cmac821
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM

There's 16 teams in the conference, are these teams only going to play "in conference" games all season??

the other 5 teams with offers haven't accepted yet, not sure if they will because the could carry on with 10 teams and a super conference might not be in their best interest

no-pseudo-fan
06-10-2010, 12:40 PM

I say all 7 in division, 2 or 3 from the other division, and 2 or 3 out of conference.

crush17
06-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I think what we're going to see w/ these 16 team conferences is an eventual playoff system w/ 4 divisions in each conference, much like the nfl has the 4-team division system.

bfoflcommish
06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
They were just scared of Nebraska and had to bail. No one can blaim them.

this just brought your other posts into clearer waters! :~ohyah!:

hookemhess
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Coastal Division
Inland Division

I like it!!

BigPlayShay
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
If C-U has 'officially' joined the Pac-10, how does their schedule play out? I assume they schedule well in advance of upcoming seasons, so, does anyone know how long they continue with a Big 12 schedule before integrating the Ariz State's and USC's?

Won't affect this year at all in terms of schedule, and may not affect 2011 either. They will just be lame duck Big 12 participants for 1-2 seasons not much different then any of the time under Hawkins.

FantomForce
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
going to miss playin the cornpu*****

Rohirrim
06-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Very cool. Go Buffs!

Although I'm going to have to figure out something new to do on the day after Thanksgiving. No more Nebraska.

cmhargrove
06-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Coastal Division
Inland Division

That's a pretty exciting looking division now. Should make for some very interesting matchups.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
2012 is when the move takes effect.

Doggcow
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM
2012 is when the move takes effect.

Too bad its not this year

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
This move makes sense in a great many ways ... FYI non-CU people, we recruit primarily against the Arizona, Oregon and Washington schools. Virtually every recruit we chase lists one of those schools as a finalist. On the other hand, seems we almost never battle Big XII schools.

Plus, in the last 10 years and coming two or three, we've played home-and-homes against Arizona State, UCLA, USC, Cal, Oregon, Washington and Washington State.

Florida_Bronco
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Very cool. Go Buffs!

Although I'm going to have to figure out something new to do on the day after Thanksgiving. No more Nebraska.

Not sulk after the loss? ;)

Pick Six
06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Link

I know not every one is a Colorado fan but what do you guys think?

The breakup of the Big XII absolutely stinks. The remains of the Big XII will have to figure out a way to go forward from here, but it still stinks...:thumbsdow

As far as Colorado actually GOING to the Pac-whatever, they'll either have to compete with the Texas schools on a regular basis in one division, or have to travel to the west coast on a regular basis, which won't be very good for Colorado's travel budget.

What the hell were they thinking?:oyvey:

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Not sulk after the loss? ;)

School record field goal my butt .... home field clock operator.

titan
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
The breakup of the Big XII absolutely stinks. The remains of the Big XII will have to figure out a way to go forward from here, but it still stinks...:thumbsdow

As far as Colorado actually GOING to the Pac-whatever, they'll either have to compete with the Texas schools on a regular basis in one division, or have to travel to the west coast on a regular basis, which won't be very good for Colorado's travel budget.

It's a good move for Colorado. The Buffs have alot of alumni in California. The pac 10 is discussing a "pod" scheduling system where teams are divided into 4 team "pods" instead of 8 team divisions, and then have a schedule like the nfl (you play all the teams in your pod each year and rotate games among the other pods year by year).

Travel budget? From the big 12 the buffs were getting 9 million a year. It is projected they will get 20 million a year from the pac 10. That will buy lots of airline tickets!

Jens1893
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
It's a good move for Colorado. The Buffs have alot of alumni in California. The pac 10 is discussing a "pod" scheduling system where teams are divided into 4 team "pods" instead of 8 team divisions, and then have a schedule like the nfl (you play all the teams in your pod each year and rotate games among the other pods year by year).

Travel budget? From the big 12 the buffs were getting 9 million a year. It is projected they will get 20 million a year from the pac 10. That will buy lots of airline tickets!

Not to mention that additional exposure in a recruiting ground like California cant really hurt. Texas, California and Florida are the 3 big recruiting grounds and CU might, depending on how this plays out, inroads to 2 of them.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM

$5M more a year just from TV w/o Texas, $10+M more a year if Texas goes to the Pac-whatever. Their travel budget will be fine.

It also sounds like the faculty was somewhat of a driving force with this move in that they were pushing for the move as well, maybe the culture will change with this move too.

Peoples Champ
06-10-2010, 01:46 PM
To me its all corrupt. Its all about the money. They could care less about the kids that risk their necks on the field while these conferences and schools sit back and collect. Same with the BCS, they dont care what happens as long as the money is flowin.

My college football interest nowdays is strictly on tailgaiting and having as much fun as I can OUTSIDE the football stadium.

Cmac821
06-10-2010, 01:46 PM

The TV contract will be epic if the other 5 join, so money shouldn't be promblem

Man-Goblin
06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
The TV contract will be epic if the other 5 join, so money shouldn't be promblem

They will also be creating their own cable network, like the Big 10 network that is pulling in cash hand over fist.

JDB7821
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
The dominoes are falling now. My guess as to how all of this plays out:

The remaining 5 join the "Pac 16."

The Big 10 HAS to get Notre Dame.

The SEC has Miami and Florida State on speed dial.

Just my guess.

Jens1893
06-10-2010, 01:55 PM

I can see where you are coming from and Id be suicidal if I were in your position, but what do you expect us to say? Its a game of musical chairs and we got a seat. Better to be in than to be left behind and I guess youd be saying similar things if roles were reversed.

SoDak Bronco
06-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Kansas gets screwed...i don't like how this whole thing has played out..but what can we do.

Cmac821
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
The dominoes are falling now. My guess as to how all of this plays out:

The remaining 5 join the "Pac 16."

The Big 10 HAS to get Notre Dame.

The SEC has Miami and Florida State on speed dial.

Just my guess.

I have heard that Texas A&M are trying to get an offer from the SEC

TexanBob
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
No one can blaim them.

Way to represent your school, moron.

Irish Stout
06-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Kansas gets screwed...i don't like how this whole thing has played out..but what can we do.

According to Mountain Bronco, Kansas is just a worthless burning turd. So it really shouldn't matter.

His opinion not mine.

jhns
06-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Thanks.

Irish Stout
06-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Well we all know what that N on the side of the Nebraska helmet stands for, so you shouldn't be suprised.

TexanBob
06-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Kansas, in particular, gets screwed. National powerhouse in basketball but basketball already has a semi-sane way of choosing a champion. Football doesn't. That and money is what this is all about.

I feel for ya.

JDB7821
06-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I have heard that Texas A&M are trying to get an offer from the SEC

That would make more sense for the SEC in terms of expanding their brand into new territory, but would they be willing to leave the Texas triumvirate to join? I read a few minutes ago that the SEC wouldn't be expanding their brand by adding Miami and Florida State, but if they want to keep up with the competition on the field, it would make the most sense.

jhns
06-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Well we all know what that N on the side of the Nebraska helmet stands for, so you shouldn't be suprised.

It stands for Nebraska. Really I haven't heard this joke though, what does the N stand for? Or is Nebraska the joke?

I just ask because I think the answer will suRprise me.

Kid A
06-10-2010, 02:13 PM
http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

JDB7821
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Kansas, in particular, gets screwed. National powerhouse in basketball but basketball already has a semi-sane way of choosing a champion. Football doesn't. That and money is what this is all about.

I feel for ya.

I can't see Kansas being completely left without a home. If the Pac 10 expands, I would think they would have a chance to latch on to the Big 10's inevitable expansion to 16.

JDB7821
06-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

Oklahoma to the SEC? That would be interesting. I'd love to see the SEC strengthen it's conference even more and Oklahoma would immediately be one of the better teams.

Master___Pain
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM

Umm... what? You can fly directly to all but Pullman and Corvallis from DIA. It's not like trying to get to Manhattan, Lubbuck, Waco, Stillwater, Columbia, etc. CU is out on an Island being in the B12, it'll be no different in the Pac-10

Vegas_Bronco
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Tell me how this helps the Buffs?

USMCBladerunner
06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Tell me how this helps the Buffs?

ummm...they won't be left in the lurch like Kansas, Mizzou, Iowa St, Baylor, Kansas St.

Those schools will be screwed with becoming a member of a Non-BCS conference.

Colorado, for all it's ineptitude, brings the Denver market, so they were "saved."

That market translates into a larger Pac-10 TV contract, which = more money for CU.

If it weren't for Denver's TV market, CU would be wiping it's breath fog off the window as it watched all its former playmates open their expensive Christmas presents, then running off to the MWC/WAC dirt lot to make some new buds, as it figures out how to live on 50% of its budget.

That's how.

Play2win
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
ummm...they won't be left in the lurch like Kansas, Mizzou, Iowa St, Baylor, Kansas St.

Colorado, for all it's ineptitude, brings the Denver market, so they were "saved."

That market translates into a larger Pac-10 TV contract, which = more money for CU.

If it weren't for Denver's TV market, CU would be wiping it's breath fog off the window as it watched all its former playmates open their expensive Christmas presents, then running off to the MWC/WAC dirt lot to make some new buds, as it figures out how to live on 50% of its budget.

That's how.

Don't you think Academics have something to do with this also...

Vegas_Bronco
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM

That's how.

So from a dollar stand point it helps them?? I guess that's a priority!........that would come with a better program anyway. Now, they'll just disappear in the basement of a lesser conference....makes sense.

How about this:

Take Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Colorado (or better yet, BYU), ASU, Washington, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, and Oklahoma State and make a new conference.

Give the Big 10 Notre Dame and Nebraska.

Put the Mountaineers in the ACC and combine the best of the SEC and ACC to form the TEBOW CONFERENCE.

USMCBladerunner
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Don't you think Academics have something to do with this also...

I think CU's academic reputation is good enough to allow the Pac-10 to invite them. This is about money, and only money.

Academics might keep you out, but they won't necessarily get you in.

Note: CU is the only BCS school this year to receive NCAA penalties for both Football and Men basketball poor academic performance.

BroncoBuff
06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Does the "Mountain" West have to change its name if it admits the Kansas schools?

Jens1893
06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Note: CU is the only BCS school this year to receive NCAA penalties for both Football and Men basketball poor academic performance.

Those penalties are handed out based on the standards set by the school and not the NCAA, btw.

USMCBladerunner
06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
So from a dollar stand point it helps them?? I guess that's a priority!........that would come with a better program anyway. Now, they'll just disappear in the basement.

How about this:

Take Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Colorado (or better yet, BYU), ASU, Washington, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, and Oklahoma State and make a new conference.

Put the Mountaineers in the ACC and combine the best of the SEC and ACC to form the TEBOW CONFERENCE.

Like it or not, more money is the one and only priority that matters in these decisions. Not rivalries, not geography, not even recruiting, only money. Some money would come from a better program, but the real money is in TV contracts. In addition to being the revenue source, TV money is also insurance, in that you get your share of TV money even when your team is down. The Big XII didn't share equitably, Texas got the lion's share of revenue. The Pac-10 will get CU considerably more money, on a more reliable basis.

As for being a bottom feeder, CU has demonstrated the ability to achieve that status regardless of conference. They can't even beat CSU, so why stay Big XII, make the same money and suck, or go MWC and lose money and suck when you can go Pac-10, make more money and suck.

Kansas and Mizzou were shooting it out for the #1 National Ranking a couple of years ago and they are watching their world implode around them right now. This is about MONEY!!!!!

Kansas, Ok State don't bring any money...Cal is a better draw on the Bay Area than Stanford...Texas is a big enough market that you should probably add A&M...

USMCBladerunner
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Those penalties are handed out based on the standards set by the school and not the NCAA, btw.

No they aren't.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15264782

gunns
06-10-2010, 05:22 PM
So from a dollar stand point it helps them?? I guess that's a priority!........that would come with a better program anyway. Now, they'll just disappear in the basement of a lesser conference....makes sense.

How about this:

BYU? Are you trying to recruit LESS talent for this new conference?

Vegas_Bronco
06-10-2010, 05:28 PM

Yeah, I know...not my favorite choice :) but with 5.5+ million mormons in the USA...I'd say that's a pretty good market and they're consistently performing well with all these teams anyway...and their fans travel like bees from the hive ;).

gunns
06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I know...not my favorite choice :) but with 5.5+ million mormons in the USA...I'd say that's a pretty good market and they're consistently performing well with all these teams anyway...and their fans travel like bees from the hive ;).

Then you want Utah. Utah fans travel more than BYU, they are more fun, Utah's the better of the two teams overall and win their bowl games consistently.

Vegas_Bronco
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Then you want Utah. Utah fans travel more than BYU, they are more fun, Utah's the better of the two teams overall and win their bowl games consistently.

my mistake, I thought they were the same school????

GO REBELS!!!

Jens1893
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
No they aren't.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15264782

Yes, they are.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15264899

One rather obvious problem with this system is that academic eligibility is determined by each university's academic standards, and the NCAA makes no attempt to compare these standards across universities. As a counterintuitive result, the more lax a school's academic standards, the less trouble it will have with APR scores because no one is ever ruled ineligible.

Jens1893
06-10-2010, 05:44 PM

BYU is a no-go as they wont play on Sundays and that seriously ****s with the basketball schedule.

Cmac821
06-10-2010, 06:31 PM
my mistake, I thought they were the same school????

GO REBELS!!!

Utah are the Utes, or did I miss something

spdirty
06-10-2010, 08:37 PM
what I like is that we dont start in that conference until 2012. So after this year we fire Talkins, get a new coach, who's first year will suck but last year in big 12 so who cares, then starts his second year in Pac (hopefully)16.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
what I like is that we dont start in that conference until 2012. So after this year we fire Talkins, get a new coach, who's first year will suck but last year in big 12 so who cares, then starts his second year in Pac (hopefully)16.

Ehhh, I don't necessarily think they'll suck in '11 provided they get a real staff.

2011 Schedule
Home:
Cal
CSU- technically away, but it's at Invesco
Fresno State
Mizzou
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska

Away:
Hawaii
Baylor
Texas Tech
Iowa State
Kansas State

I don't think the team is completely void of talent, I just think that the staff sucks except for Cabral. Guys are not developing at all. A new, good staff in '11 won't turn them into BCS contenders obviously, but there's enough talent to get to a bowl game with that schedule. None of their road opponents are exactly world beaters and all their tough games are at Folsom.

strafen
06-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Link

I know not every one is a Colorado fan but what do you guys think?I think it's great.
We will be able to recruit good players from California.

Cito Pelon
06-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Like it or not, more money is the one and only priority that matters in these decisions. Not rivalries, not geography, not even recruiting, only money. Some money would come from a better program, but the real money is in TV contracts. In addition to being the revenue source, TV money is also insurance, in that you get your share of TV money even when your team is down. The Big XII didn't share equitably, Texas got the lion's share of revenue. The Pac-10 will get CU considerably more money, on a more reliable basis.

As for being a bottom feeder, CU has demonstrated the ability to achieve that status regardless of conference. They can't even beat CSU, so why stay Big XII, make the same money and suck, or go MWC and lose money and suck when you can go Pac-10, make more money and suck.

Kansas and Mizzou were shooting it out for the #1 National Ranking a couple of years ago and they are watching their world implode around them right now. This is about MONEY!!!!!

Kansas, Ok State don't bring any money...Cal is a better draw on the Bay Area than Stanford...Texas is a big enough market that you should probably add A&M...

I heard the Big 12 TV contract was $78 mil last year, the Pac 10 $205 mil, the Big 10 $242 mil.

So yeah, it was about money.

Pretty interesting shakeup, the Big 12 will be non-existent soon I guess. Nebraska already went to the Big 10, right? Texas to the SEC, I guess.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
The CU Regents approved the Pac-10 move unanimously

USMCBladerunner
06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes, they are.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15264899

Ok...you are generally right in the sense that one of the two factors in reporting the APR is essentially set by the school...However, the penalties are levied based on a point system that is not defined by the school, it's set by the NCAA...to what degree CU is levying hardship on itself in this regard isn't clear though...the argument that CU doen't offer Health/Phys Fitness is pretty bogus, though, as CU offers Kinesiology which is basically a churched up version of the same thing.

Master___Pain
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Ok...you are generally right in the sense that one of the two factors in reporting the APR is essentially set by the school...However, the penalties are levied based on a point system that is not defined by the school, it's set by the NCAA...to what degree CU is levying hardship on itself in this regard isn't clear though...the argument that CU doen't offer Health/Phys Fitness is pretty bogus, though, as CU offers Kinesiology which is basically a churched up version of the same thing.

Kines is the same as golf, bowling and other PE credits? Come on now.

USMCBladerunner
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Kines is the same as golf, bowling and other PE credits? Come on now.

No it's not that at all, it has a legitimate curriculum but it's not really that hard. The argument is that CU doesn't have any easy programs that athletes can run through to stay eligible. I think that argument is false. Kinesiology isn't golf or bowling, but it isn't all that rough either. Anatomy and Physiology are the only two courses that would pose any real challenge to passing IMO.

Master___Pain
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
No it's not that at all, it has a legitimate curriculum but it's not really that hard. The argument is that CU doesn't have any easy programs that athletes can run through to stay eligible. I think that argument is false. Kinesiology isn't golf or bowling, but it isn't all that rough either. Anatomy and Physiology are the only two courses that would pose any real challenge to passing IMO.

Yes, the ever famous Communications degree is an athletic staple

Florida_Bronco
06-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey Master Pain, good to see you around here again!

dsmoot
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
This move makes sense in a great many ways ... FYI non-CU people, we recruit primarily against the Arizona, Oregon and Washington schools. Virtually every recruit we chase lists one of those schools as a finalist. On the other hand, seems we almost never battle Big XII schools.

Plus, in the last 10 years and coming two or three, we've played home-and-homes against Arizona State, UCLA, USC, Cal, Oregon, Washington and Washington State.

There lies the problem with recent CU success. McCartney turned the program around with California and Texas recruiting and a simpler offensive strategy to temporarily take advantage of the existing talent level. CU needs to get back to Texas with the recruiting.

Master___Pain
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey Master Pain, good to see you around here again!

Life and the general tenor here has kept me away for awhile.

I'm so happy for both of our schools doing what was right for us, and not waiting on the texass contingency to tell us what's what.

BigPlayShay
06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Ehhh, I don't necessarily think they'll suck in '11 provided they get a real staff.

2011 Schedule
Home:
Cal
CSU- technically away, but it's at Invesco
Fresno State
Mizzou
Oklahoma
Kansas
<strike>Nebraska</strike> TBD

Away:
Hawaii
Baylor
Texas Tech
Iowa State
Kansas State

I don't think the team is completely void of talent, I just think that the staff sucks except for Cabral. Guys are not developing at all. A new, good staff in '11 won't turn them into BCS contenders obviously, but there's enough talent to get to a bowl game with that schedule. None of their road opponents are exactly world beaters and all their tough games are at Folsom.

Fixed it with NU leaving for the Big 10 in 2011

Rohirrim
06-11-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm so happy for both of our schools doing what was right for us, and not waiting on the texass contingency to tell us what's what.

Yep. That's something I was glad to see. CU just stepped out and decided their own fate. Bold move. Now, if they could just be bold enough to show Hawkins the door, it would be a trifecta. ;D

TexanBob
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes, the ever famous Communications degree is an athletic staple

Otherwise known as the "Hi Mama!" degree which is reserved for athletes with the most slam dunks or rushing yards who otherwise might have to study for tests to stay eligible. :egbgb:

Kid A
06-11-2010, 05:05 PM
So is CU officially going in to the Pac-10 in 2012, or was that an estimate? Because Nebraska and the Big Ten have officially said that on June 1, 2011 they will be moving over. If the Pac-10 wants an extra buffer year there might be a 2011 season where the Big XII plays without Nebraska.

Florida_Bronco
06-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Amen brother.

KipCorrington25
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
BYU is a no-go as they wont play on Sundays and that seriously ****s with the basketball schedule.

What, nobody wants BYU and their 24 year old sophmores? Hilarious!