PDA

View Full Version : Mad Props to Oregon (Rare Backbone by a College program)

Doggcow
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5268741

EUGENE, Ore. -- Suspended Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was kicked off the team Wednesday, two days after a police officer cited him for marijuana possession and driving infractions.

Miller: Masoli Booted

Miller A few months ago, Jeremiah Masoli was a Heisman Trophy candidate and the quarterback of a national title contender. But he blew it. Times two, writes ESPN.com's Ted Miller. Blog

In a statement, the university said Masoli was dropped because he did not "adhere to obligations" outlined by coach Chip Kelly. The coach, through a spokesman, declined to comment.

A Springfield police officer cited Masoli late Monday on charges of possessing less than one ounce of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and failure to stop when entering a roadway, said Sgt. Tom Borchers of the Springfield Police Department.

Masoli can either pay a fine or contest the accusations at a June 24 court appearance, Borchers said.

Kelly suspended Masoli in March for the entire 2010 season after the QB pleaded guilty to burglary for his role in the theft of laptops and a guitar from a fraternity. Masoli remained on scholarship and practiced with the team this spring in hopes of returning for the 2011 season.

Masoli has one season of eligibility remaining.

Masoli threw for 2,147 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. He also rushed for 668 yards and 13 touchdowns in a season that ended with a Rose Bowl loss to Ohio State.

The San Francisco native finished his Oregon career with 1,386 rushing yards, the most ever by a Ducks quarterback.

ohiobronco2
06-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I have to disagree with you here. This is the same University that allowed cheap shot Blount back on the team just in time for the Rose Bowl. Masoli (sp?) also has had several run ins with the law. It's about time Oregon did the right thing.

Doggcow
06-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I have to disagree with you here. This is the same University that allowed cheap shot Blount back on the team just in time for the Rose Bowl. Masoli (sp?) also has had several run ins with the law. It's about time Oregon did the right thing.

Blount had one, very provoked, incident. Ron Artest still plays Basketball in the NBA no less. Marshall just made truckloads of cash with his problems.

I guarantee teams throughout the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 have at least 2 or 3 players with worse incidents on their hands than Blount (just because it isn't on TV doesn't mean it's ok)

Masouli was a Heisman candidate this year, and a huge loss.

Jason in LA
06-09-2010, 03:54 PM
In Blount's case, he followed the terms set by the coach. He did what he was supposed to do to get back on the field. If Masoli had simply followed the terms, he'd be back in Oregon with two years left to play. Dude is pretty dumb.

oubronco
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Paid college degree

Heisman hopeful

Thief

Dumbass Mofo

McDman
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
How do they have a backbone now? This is a guy they let stay on the team after he was caught stealing from a house. Any school who didn't throw the guy off the team would be looked at like their morons.

Had Masoli not had any priors and was kicked off it would be one thing, but he is a convicted criminal.

Zoobie
06-09-2010, 03:59 PM
This has been a terrible offseason for Oregon. We've had a Bengals-esque offseason and honestly i'm happy we're rid of Jeremiah. It's nice that we've taken a stand on nobodies like him, good riddance.

Doggcow
06-09-2010, 04:02 PM
How do they have a backbone now? This is a guy they let stay on the team after he was caught stealing from a house. Any school who didn't throw the guy off the team would be looked at like their morons.

Had Masoli not had any priors and was kicked off it would be one thing, but he is a convicted criminal.

Don't act all high and mighty like your team has never given anyone a second chance.

Paladin
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Masouli is a Raider FA about to happen......

crush17
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Jeez. People get so up in arms over some tiny amount of marijuana. Its basically becoming legalized all over the country. Bout time everyone eased up a bit, I think.

Flex Gunmetal
06-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Jeez. People get so up in arms over some tiny amount of marijuana. Its basically becoming legalized all over the country. Bout time everyone eased up a bit, I think.

This.
The suspended license should be a bigger deal. It is in CO.

McDman
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Don't act all high and mighty like your team has never given anyone a second chance.

Hahahaha, wtf are you talking about? I'm pointing out the fact that literally every University in the country would do the same thing. The guy should have been kicked off after he robbed someone.

Doggcow
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Hahahaha, wtf are you talking about? I'm pointing out the fact that literally every University in the country would do the same thing. The guy should have been kicked off after he robbed someone.

Literally every university in the country would try to sweep it under the rug and hope it blows over.

I don't remember the last time i saw a heisman hopeful kicked off a team.

McDman
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Literally every university in the country would try to sweep it under the rug and hope it blows over.

I don't remember the last time i saw a heisman hopeful kicked off a team.

You're wrong. I can't think of one school that would keep a kid after he was charged with burglary and then was found with marijuana. The guy was already suspended for the whole 2010 season, what incentive does Oregon have for keeping him on the roster?

Dukes
06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Pfft, he'd fit right in at CU. Cops would probably give him help lighting his bong.

Doggcow
06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
You're wrong. I can't think of one school that would keep a kid after he was charged with burglary and then was found with marijuana. The guy was already suspended for the whole 2010 season, what incentive does Oregon have for keeping him on the roster?

"Davis, meanwhile, refused to suspend defensive back Tremain Mack, of Tyler, Texas, after his indictment in Texas last summer for passing a bad check. Mack ended up being suspended by Davis for two games last fall after he was subsequently arrested for driving under the influence. It was his sixth arrest in four years. "

Just a quick google search brought even that up.

6 arrests in 4 years, and just suspended after the DUI.

Yep. Other Conferences are a bastion of integrity. :spit:

McDman
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
That's one incident from the 90s and it's from the U, otherwise known as Thug U.

Back to the original point, just because Oregon kicked the kid off the team does not show that they have a back bone. They had no choice.

Doggcow
06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
That's one incident from the 90s and it's from the U, otherwise known as Thug U.

Back to the original point, just because Oregon kicked the kid off the team does not show that they have a back bone. They had no choice.

You're wrong. I can't think of one school...

Oh. I thought you said "one school" enveloping all of them, I didn't know that the ones that also violated it were excluded. Ok.

Dedhed
06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm pointing out the fact that literally every University in the country would do the same thing.

You could not be more wrong.

McDman
06-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Ok, you got me. You found one extreme example from 1995. Clearly that's relevant 15 year later.

All I'm saying is right now if any large school that gains national attention has a guy suspended for a whole year because he robbed a house then they will definitely kick him off the team if h screws up again. How are you going to punish him even more? Suspend him for 2011?

BMF Bronco
06-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow, you have to wonder what kind of upbringing this kid had. Has he been so spoiled throughout his life and never faced any repercussions for his actions that he thought he was invincible? Regardless, I hope he is out of chances and now has to find a real job and dig ditches for a living. Stupid MOFO!

Pseudofool
06-10-2010, 09:36 AM
These seem minor juvenile crimes to me. Sucks his life gets ruined, sucks more that somebody praises the university for doing so. But whatever.

ohiobronco2
06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
These seem minor juvenile crimes to me. Sucks his life gets ruined, sucks more that somebody praises the university for doing so. But whatever.

He's an adult. You make adult decisions, you get adult punishments. I won't shed a single tear for the dumb***.

Doggcow
06-10-2010, 09:54 AM

He was on probation ALREADY. Are you kidding me?

He made his own life choices already to put him in a situation where he could lose everything.

bronco militia
06-10-2010, 10:00 AM
These seem minor juvenile crimes to me. .

A Springfield police officer cited Masoli late Monday on charges of possessing less than one ounce of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and failure to stop when entering a roadway, said Sgt. Tom Borchers of the Springfield Police Department.

Kelly suspended Masoli in March for the entire 2010 season after the QB pleaded guilty to burglary for his role in the theft of laptops and a guitar from a fraternity.

:rofl::rofl:

Popps
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/Raiders%20logo.gif

Doggcow
06-10-2010, 10:06 AM

Kelly suspended Masoli in March for the entire 2010 season after the QB pleaded guilty to burglary for his role in the theft of laptops and a guitar from a fraternity.

Maybe it's just Psuedo...

I have somehow resisted the urge to drive with a suspended license, that may have something to do with it never being suspended. I also have never stolen any laptops or guitars...

Popps
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/rcbaker87/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

footstepsfrom#27
06-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Possessing less than an ounce of weed in OR is not a criminal act...though strangely you still pay a fine. Burglary on the other hand...

This guy's no brainiac is he?

Flex Gunmetal
06-10-2010, 11:13 AM

There is one notable crime, the suspended license. This guy is a moron, but when people get pissed about pot I can't help but lol.