PDA

View Full Version : Good Peter King article on Tebow and the coaching staff (Not MMQB)

Ambiguous
06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Peter King did a feature piece for SI, five pages on Tebow and what's going on behind the scenes at Dove Valley. Basically the full version of the few paragraphs that were in MMQB the other day. I really liked it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170592/1/index.htm

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for posting man.

Los Broncos
06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow, another Tebow thread, thanks for posting this tho.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Great read.

NYBronc
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"
~Herb Brooks

tsiguy96
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
hah guess this is the same thing as i posted, i didnt know it would be out so fast.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
hah guess this is the same thing as i posted, i didnt know it would be out so fast.

Hmmmm... Let's see...

- He posts a 5 page article on the quarterbacks (focus on Tebow) and the coaching staff from an inside guest dynamic

- You post a single sentence tweet.

Yup, same thing.

lostknight
06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Great Article, although I am still a bit worried about them trying to change Tebow's mechanics. Remember that his accuracy out of college was unbelievable. It reminds me of all the people who insisted Ubaldo couldn't pitch the way he did in the minors because his arm would fall off.

It tells you the upside that they see, that his mechanics can be off, and still throw touchdowns to Royal. Something we definitely were not doing last season.

SoCalBronco
That was a really good article. So good that I was disappointed that there wasn't more than 5 pages. I wanted to just keep reading.

I have to say...I'm impressed with how hard the McDaniels brothers are working at coaching him up. That's a ton of passes a day and they are just plugging ahead at it. I also like the creative thinking with things like the hand towel under the armpit and such. There probably is a good degree of nepotism involved in the Ben McDaniels thing....but it seems that Ben also legitimately knows what his brother expects and wants taught so far as QB techniques go in this system and knows how to coach those things up, despite a less than awesome resume. I definitely came away more comfortable with the thought of Ben McDaniels as QB coach after reading that article.

It's been said numerous times already, but once again, you gotta love Tebow's dedication and eagerness for more work even when he's exhausted at the end of each day.

All of the above being said, we should still be wary of looking for instant gratification here, its going to take some time no matter how hard the principals work and coach. We've got to be patient with Tebow. I'm sure the muscle memory will get there....its probably a little harder for him since the staff is starting to change some stuff that Bratkowski and Wyche were trying to teach prior to the draft...but I'm sure Tim will become comfortable within a few months. Brandstater being out will help him get even more reps so that'll help, too.

Really nice piece. Props to the coaches and Tim Tebow for all their hard work so far.

Mr.Meanie
God damn that was a great article. I love how McD doesn't destroy ideas from his QB's... innocent until proven guilty.

Also, it sounds like it's almost guaranteed Orton is going to be starting for 2010 at least.

Thanks for the link!

tsiguy96
06-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Hmmmm... Let's see...

- He posts a 5 page article on the quarterbacks (focus on Tebow) and the coaching staff from an inside guest dynamic

Yup, same thing.

i posted a tweet that says hes going to have a 5 page article coming out about the QBs here, he posted the article i was referring to as i wasnt aware it was out, check the date on that article. nice try.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 04:28 PM
i posted a tweet that says hes going to have a 5 page article coming out about the QBs here, he posted the article i was referring to as i wasnt aware it was out, check the date on that article. nice try.

I'm glad you agree that you did not post what the OP in this thread posted... or even realize it was available to post.

tsiguy96
06-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm glad you agree that you did not post what the OP in this thread posted... or even realize it was available to post.

exactly, however the subject matter is the same thing and refers to the identical item, so why are you making such a big deal out of this? come on lets see your next witty one liner used to captivate all of omane!

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
exactly, however the subject matter is the same thing and refers to the identical item, so why are you making such a big deal out of this? come on lets see your next witty one liner used to captivate all of omane!

Don't you have a car to finish painting?

hows that?

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 04:49 PM

:)

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Dude give the guy a break.

OBF1
06-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Articles like this is why I come to the mane. Thanks for the add.

Dedhed
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Great read. I love when writer's can supply anecdotes instead of just dumper opinion piece after dumper opinion piece.

I like McDaniels' approach more every time I learn more detail about it. I also love the joy that Tebow exudes as he works. You can tell he loves every little detail about being a football player, and relishes every second of work he puts in.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Great read. I love when writer's can supply anecdotes instead of just dumper opinion piece after dumper opinion piece.

I like McDaniels' approach more every time I learn more detail about it. I also love the joy that Tebow exudes as he works. You can tell he loves every little detail about being a football player, and relishes every second of work he puts in.

All of this and more. It was just an excellent piece from start to finish. Wish King did more of this and less of the random crap that takes up 70% of MMQB. It would set an excellent example for sportswriters nationwide.

A LOT more goes into the game of football than any other "sport" and the people who report on it need to treat it accordingly.

And yes, it does an excellent job of not only portraying the fire of Tebow, but the McDaniels brothers themselves. I liked the bit about the broken glove, but he has the ability to, and I won't be content until, he's breaking the coaches paws.

SoCalBronco
06-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Hmmmm... Let's see...

Yup, same thing.

Rev with the game winner at 16:44 in OT.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wchH7xL4tdE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wchH7xL4tdE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

tsiguy96
06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Rev with the game winner at 16:44 in OT.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wchH7xL4tdE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wchH7xL4tdE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

are you that dense, or just trying to throw your quick jab in off someone elses post because you are incapable of producing anything on your own?

so again, when i post before he does that peter king has an in depth bronco report in the next SI, then this post is made after that post to say that its already out, im somehow wrong. got it, morons.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Dude give the guy a break.

Totally would... but then the deprived-of-fully-functional-mental-faculties poster-child predictably goes off and does something like this:

are you that dense, or just trying to throw your quick jab in off someone elses post because you are incapable of producing anything on your own?

so again, when i post before he does that peter king has an in depth bronco report in the next SI, then this post is made after that post to say that its already out, im somehow wrong. got it, morons.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
PS. Socal's more than beyond capable of batting you around all day like a helpless ball of yarn, but for two reasons he won't:

1. He's a busy guy.

2. By now he knows how much I love this.

cmhargrove
06-08-2010, 06:28 PM
NIce read, thanks for posting.

I can't wait to see how he looks by Training Camp.

listopencil
06-08-2010, 06:28 PM

So...are you the new Mock?

theAPAOps5
06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Seriously? Is this thread really going to devolve into I posted it first fight?

This thread should be about the very insightful article posted. Something that we rarely got under Shanahan and rarely get under McD.

I wonder if he can play with that towel under his arm during a game? :)

ColoradoDarin
06-08-2010, 06:32 PM
God damn that was a great article. I love how McD doesn't destroy ideas from his QB's... innocent until proven guilty.

Also, it sounds like it's almost guaranteed Orton is going to be starting for 2010 at least.

Thanks for the link!

Loved the article too. I hope that this puts to rest the "McDaniels is a dictator" meme.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Loved the article too. I hope that this puts to rest the "McDaniels is a dictator" meme.

I think that stigma just hits strong coaches and sticks without much factual basis.

It's been used on Shanahan, Parcells, Bellichick, Holmgren in his late GB yrs, etc.

Coughlin is probably the only one hit with it in recent years that actually deserved it.

listopencil
06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
It's a nice piece about Tebow with a few gems thrown in about Orton and the Offense:

"In Denver he'll (The Quarterback) have to spell out both the play and the protection in the huddle, then make adjustments at the line. For instance, he might see a safety coming down to act as the middle 'backer. In Broncos practice, even though Brian Dawkins, number 20, isn't a middle linebacker (the Mike, in football parlance), quarterbacks might go to the line, identify Dawkins as the pivot for the defense and call out, "20's the Mike!"

"Last season McDaniels installed a misdirection screen that Matt Cassel had completed 29 out of 30 times with the Patriots in '08. The play drove McDaniels crazy in Denver. The back would run the wrong way, or the tackle would take a bad angle to the screen point and be late. Not until Week 13, against the Chiefs, did the Broncos run it perfectly; the result was a seven-yard touchdown from Orton to receiver Brandon Marshall."

""I want to have all five guys viable," said Orton, "and if I had to spin around all the way to my left, by the time I saw everything I need to, I might be out of time."

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 06:52 PM
The back would run the wrong way

That's a confusing one. For running backs there's always a standard number designation on which direction you're going on a run or screen, even in the pros. Evens to the right, odds to the left. In essence it's not a mistake on the level of poor pursuit angles, jumping to try and highpoint the ball too early, missing a tackle, etc. It's more on the level of Bob Griese lining up under his guard. So I think it's safe to say it was one of a few options:

1. Changed at the LOS and not heard or seen.

2. Called wrong in the huddle

3. Extremely intense jitters (rookie jitters if we assume it was Knowshon)

bowtown
06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
That's a confusing one. For running backs there's always a standard number designation on which direction you're going on a run or screen, even in the pros. Evens to the right, odds to the left. In essence it's not a mistake on the level of poor pursuit angles, jumping to try and highpoint the ball too early, missing a tackle, etc. It's more on the level of Bob Griese lining up under his guard. So I think it's safe to say it was one of a few options:

1. Changed at the LOS and not heard or seen.

2. Called wrong in the huddle

3. Extremely intense jitters (rookie jitters if we assume it was Knowshon)

4. Peyton hillis was being given another chance to prove himself. ;)

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
4. Peyton hillis was being given another chance to prove himself. ;)

Ah, come on. It's not his fault he got blown out of proportion on the Mane only to be crucified later by the same that did it. He came off the bench and performed well when we needed him to in 08 so I'm appreciative of that.

That being said....

I lol'd.

gyldenlove
06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
That was a really good article. So good that I was disappointed that there wasn't more than 5 pages. I wanted to just keep reading.

I have to say...I'm impressed with how hard the McDaniels brothers are working at coaching him up. That's a ton of passes a day and they are just plugging ahead at it. I also like the creative thinking with things like the hand towel under the armpit and such. There probably is a good degree of nepotism involved in the Ben McDaniels thing....but it seems that Ben also legitimately knows what his brother expects and wants taught so far as QB techniques go in this system and knows how to coach those things up, despite a less than awesome resume. I definitely came away more comfortable with the thought of Ben McDaniels as QB coach after reading that article.

It's been said numerous times already, but once again, you gotta love Tebow's dedication and eagerness for more work even when he's exhausted at the end of each day.

All of the above being said, we should still be wary of looking for instant gratification here, its going to take some time no matter how hard the principals work and coach. We've got to be patient with Tebow. I'm sure the muscle memory will get there....its probably a little harder for him since the staff is starting to change some stuff that Bratkowski and Wyche were trying to teach prior to the draft...but I'm sure Tim will become comfortable within a few months. Brandstater being out will help him get even more reps so that'll help, too.

Really nice piece. Props to the coaches and Tim Tebow for all their hard work so far.

Mcdaniels is not a guy who is underprepared, ever and he knows exactly what he wants.

Mcdaniels will not send Tebow out there until he is comfortable with it and that is good, there is no sense sending the kid out there before he is ready only to see him get trampled as has happened with so many QBs. It is certainly a work in progress to make Tebow a sharp pocket passer, but Mcdaniels knows his QB position and he knows how to get the most from people.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Seriously? Is this thread really going to devolve into I posted it first fight?

This thread should be about the very insightful article posted. Something that we rarely got under Shanahan and rarely get under McD.

I wonder if he can play with that towel under his arm during a game? :)

Wasn't a towel at all. Peter King just doesn't know the intricacies of QB coaching and Tim Tebow.

http://cdn.costumesupercenter.com/csc_inc/images/items/343x432/60110.jpg

It was a blue tunic of biblical 3 wisemen fame, and the Broncos equipment manager is in contact with reebok to make sure he can use one in game.

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
So...are you the new Mock?

*posts inappropriate comment but realises he'll be banned so just thinks it*

brncs_fan
06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Can't believe it hasn't been posted yet:

:tebow:

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Great article, props to King for actually doing some real reporting. Love McD and I'm starting to like Ben more and more. Having Ben work with Tebow ad nausium is exactly what Tebow needs. They've got to make Tebow unlearn his bad mechanics and make proper mechanics become unconcious. The only way to do that is to burn it into his mind and body over and over and over and over. They have to emphasize the little things so they become second nature, things like footwork, shoulders and stance. This is where coaching comes to fruition and I'm loving McD for it...

Orange4Life
06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Damn that was a good article. I wish it was a whole book and not just five pages

OABB
06-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Hooray for nepotism.

dbfan21
06-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Fantastic article. I agree with an earlier poster who said he wanted to keep reading and reading. I love stuff like this. In depth, insightful, detailed. We never get this kind of coverage. Whether Shanny disallowed it or we never had anyone with Tebow's following on the roster, this is a rarity.

I like Josh McDaniels. I like his energy, his passion, his preparation, his eye for detail, his coaching style. He's making this team better for the long run. It seems that Ben is really working hard to make sure Tebow will be ready for training camp.

And I like Tebow's willingness to learn, his respect for the staff and the game of football. His work ethic is going to make him better. I am psyched for preseason to see him in action!

Props to peter King for a solid piece of investigative reporting! :strong:

Rabb
06-09-2010, 07:26 AM
"Ben's not a b.s.'er. Part of his job is to challenge Tim because Tim's going to have it tough. And Tim plays a little better when he's pissed off."

I love this