PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk tires.

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
So I am almost done with my wifes truck and I am getting ready to start my knew project. I am going to be running 33/12.50R15 tires and I have narrowed it down to two. Both are the best you can get so quality is not a deciding factor so I guess it is down to looks which do you like?
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=26707&stc=1&d=1275944438
This is the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar or
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=26708&stc=1&d=1275944496
This is the BFG KM2

broncosteven
06-07-2010, 02:04 PM
This is the BFG KM2.

I take it you want to get the truck dirty?

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
This is the BFG KM2.

I take it you want to get the truck dirty?

Yes just put the on my wife Toy and they did well. I run the MT/R on my Jeep and love them. They are both Quite and get ok tred life. The best part is they are Quite well for mudders at least.

broncosteven
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I replaced Goodyears with Contential's on my wifes 2004 Durango. We don't off road, they are cheaper and quiter, plus they came standard on my BMW so I figured good enough for German engineers good enough for rust bucket Dodge.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Toyo Open Country MT's. I put them on my superduty after going through BFG's, and couldn't be happier with the ride.

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Toyo Open Country MT's. I put them on my superduty after going through BFG's, and couldn't be happier with the ride.
Not trying to be rude but Toyo is not even in the same class as these two tires.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Not trying to be rude but Toyo is not even in the same class as these two tires.

I wouldn't consider you rude. Just ignorant. I've had several sets of BFG's and switched to Toyo's because they are flat out better tires.

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't consider you rude. Just ignorant. I've had several sets of BFG's and switched to Toyo's because they are flat out better tires.

Yep when I go Krawling down in Moab I see Toyo's on every truck. Hilarious! Please man. I have been working in the field for 20 years and been wheeling for even longer. It will be one of these two I am just trying to decide which one.

OBF1
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
BFG hands down. I used to be in the business years ago and BFG always had a great product and even better customer relations.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Yep when I go Krawling down in Moab I see Toyo's on every truck. Hilarious! Please man. I have been working in the field for 20 years and been wheeling for even longer. It will be one of these two I am just trying to decide which one.

I run 35" M/T's on my truck and have had both brands. The BFG's cupped if they weren't rotated every 5000 miles, and left me with an uncorrectable shimmy. I switched to Toyo's at the suggestion of my 4x4 shop, and have had none of those issues since. I've got 40,000 miles on this set and rides perfectly on the highway.... roated every 10k, with plenty of tread to spare.

LonghornBronco
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I love the way the BFG mudders look. But since I've um... matured I prefer the BFG all terrains. Love the offroad performance and the upgrade in the ride and handling (especially in the snow) was worth the little bit less aggressive look. Thats my 2 cents.

orangemonkey
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I have the same BFG's on my Defender 90. They're the best.

bronclvr
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
You do realize that both of those Tires are going to be extremely noisy, don't you?

Brewer
06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Toyo and homo both have four letters a two o's. Coincidence? No.

BFGs or Super Swampers... :thumbsup:

worm
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I have a set of BFG KM2s on my '79 Bronco. Good tires.

Also have some General Grabbers AT2s on a PathFinder. Like them just as much.

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 06:56 PM
You do realize that both of those Tires are going to be extremely noisy, don't you?

Nope they are not. I run the 285/75r16 BFG KM2's on my Toyota and 35/12.50R15 MT/R's on my jeep and neither make much noise. Tires have come a long ways. In fact i was just road testing a truck that had Schawbie Specials on it and they were way louder then my mudders.

MaloCS
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I love my KM2s. Those MFers stick like glue to every freaking rock I drive over. If you set the tire pressure correctly they ride smooth and for an aggressive tire are pretty quiet. They also balance well for 35s.

The only thing the KM2s lack is traction in hard pack snow. This is due to the lack of siping in the tread blocks. There have been a handful of times where I would have been up **** creek this past winter if it wasn't for the traction control in my Wrangler JK doing it's thing.

One of my buddies runs the Kevlar Wranglers and swears by them. My personal opinion is for off road use either tire will KICK ASS! For dry or wet pavement either tire is decent. For deep powder snow either tire is decent but for hard pack snow/ice I would definitely lean towards the Goodyears with their interior tread pattern that is more all terrain then mud terrain.

Good luck.

bap454
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I love my KM2s. Those MFers stick like glue to every freaking rock I drive over. If you set the tire pressure correctly they ride smooth and for an aggressive tire are pretty quiet. They also balance well for 35s.

The only thing the KM2s lack is traction in hard pack snow. This is due to the lack of siping in the tread blocks. There have been a handful of times where I would have been up **** creek this past winter if it wasn't for the traction control in my Wrangler JK doing it's thing.

One of my buddies runs the Kevlar Wranglers and swears by them. My personal opinion is for off road use either tire will KICK ASS! For dry or wet pavement either tire is decent. For deep powder snow either tire is decent but for hard pack snow/ice I would definitely lean towards the Goodyears with their interior tread pattern that is more all terrain then mud terrain.

Good luck.

Your post is right on the money! I just bought a set of 35s km2s for my powerwagon...great for the serious wheeler, however the weakness is definately the hard pack snow/Ice. I work in the field and mostly everyone out here runs either the Wrangler MTR (Kevlar) or the Wrangler DuraTrac(AT). Both are very impressive and versatility on the ice/snow makes them the perfect choice for both worlds. Swear by the Wrangler!

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I live in Portland so snow is not a big deal. The reason the MT/R is the better in the ice is because it has silica in the rubber. This allows it to stay flexible in very cold weather. I also like the fact the the MT/R has the third ply in the side wall as high tensile steel. I just don't like the look of them very much. O one last thing. the Mt/R stands for Maximum traction tire. So it is technically not a mudder.

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2010, 09:12 PM
How much do a set of these tires cost?

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 09:22 PM
How much do a set of these tires cost?

I get them at cost so I don't know what you will pay but I just paid 187. per for my 285 bfg's The MT/R was about the same. Maybe a little less.

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I get them at cost so I don't know what you will pay but I just paid 187. per for my 285 bfg's The MT/R was about the same. Maybe a little less.

http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=6016

Here are some for $163.59 per tire....are these the same?

Quoydogs
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=6016

Here are some for $163.59 per tire....are these the same?

These are the ones I just got.
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=6027

I see there is No FET included in the price plus they nail you for 100 bucks shipping. I can do better then that for you

azbroncfan
06-08-2010, 10:30 AM
These are the ones I just got.
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=6027

I see there is No FET included in the price plus they nail you for 100 bucks shipping. I can do better then that for you

Back when I was into rock crawling Interco's were the tires that I liked. I have heard great things about the tires you just bought though.

bronco militia
06-08-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.nggablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/girl-changing-tire.jpg

bronco militia
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106329&stc=1&d=1075437998

bronco militia
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.pickuptruckaccessories.us/images/girl_tire.jpg

bronco militia
06-08-2010, 10:59 AM
http://www.barretire.com/Tires/130_0708_01_z+sumlee_anderson+maxxis_calendar.jpg

bronco militia
06-08-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.specialrims.com/images/semaGirl1.jpg

Quoydogs
06-08-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106329&stc=1&d=1075437998

Damn ! I let her shave my tires too. :thumbsup:

oubronco
06-08-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.specialrims.com/images/semaGirl1.jpg

Damn she's hot

ZONA
06-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Most tires are pretty darn similar unless you are going with competition rock crawling tires. I like the TSL SX because they are bias ply and the sidewalls are tougher then anything there is. I roll over cactus without thinking twice (of course the ones that have fallen and lay in the trail). The stick really good, as long as you air down. My rig is so light, with my beadlocks, I run my pressure at 2 pounds.

But the KM2 is a nice tire, just pricy is all.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaAtS-Umr2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaAtS-Umr2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Quoydogs
06-09-2010, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=ZONA;2859894]Most tires are pretty darn similar unless you are going with competition rock crawling tires. I like the TSL SX because they are bias ply and the sidewalls are tougher then anything there is. I roll over cactus without thinking twice (of course the ones that have fallen and lay in the trail). The stick really good, as long as you air down. My rig is so light, with my beadlocks, I run my pressure at 2 pounds.

But the KM2 is a nice tire, just pricy is all.

I hear this a lot. I have been in the tire business for 20 years now. I understand how tires are built and I just don't understand the logic too this. How can a bias ply tire be stronger then a steel belted one.

In tests (I will dig these up if need be ), you will find that the rubber will split before the steel belts break or the Nylon cord breaks . Just doesn't add up. Also a Bias Ply tire is very stiff which makes it far more accessible to tearing then a Flexible one. Example, If you hold a piece of paper tight and strike it, it will tear very easy. If you hold it to where it is loose then it takes much more pressure to break it.

Now While i am talking about it Steel belted tires do have one down advantage and that is the side wall bulges when the tred comes in contact with the ground. Which can make that take the brunt of the force rather then the crown of the tire on a Bais. However if you get either the KM2 or the MT/R the sidewall is not going to be a problem this making them a better tire

Just my 2 cents.

ZONA
06-09-2010, 02:12 AM
[QUOTE=ZONA;2859894]
I hear this a lot. I have been in the tire business for 20 years now. I understand how tires are built and I just don't understand the logic too this. How can a bias ply tire be stronger then a steel belted one.

In tests (I will dig these up if need be ), you will find that the rubber will split before the steel belts break or the Nylon cord breaks . Just doesn't add up. Also a Bias Ply tire is very stiff which makes it far more accessible to tearing then a Flexible one. Example, If you hold a piece of paper tight and strike it, it will tear very easy. If you hold it to where it is loose then it takes much more pressure to break it.

Now While i am talking about it Steel belted tires do have one down advantage and that is the side wall bulges when the tred comes in contact with the ground. Which can make that take the brunt of the force rather then the crown of the tire on a Bais. However if you get either the KM2 or the MT/R the sidewall is not going to be a problem this making them a better tire

Just my 2 cents.

In tests (I will dig these up if need be ), you will find that the rubber will split before the steel belts break or the Nylon cord breaks . Just doesn't add up. Also a Bias Ply tire is very stiff which makes it far more accessible to tearing then a Flexible one. That's part of the problem with Radials on the trails. The thin rubber on the sides always tears or cuts enough to make them go flat. The cords don't have to be broken or torn and most times they don't. All it takes is for a puncture to go through the rubber and you're flat. The Bias Ply are not as stiff as you think. Even ones with 6 Ply sides. You have to consider that most people who use a Bias Ply are using them off-road only. They will air down to 5 pounds or less. They get plenty of flex at that pressure.

It all depends on application. First I will just say, that if you drive your 4wheeler on the roads at all, Bias Ply is not the tire for that. Bias Ply should only be used for off-road only. And when it comes to offroad, that is where the Bias Ply's really kick butt over the Radials. Radial tires of course have the steel cords. They have them on the tread (where the cords are the most thickest) and they have a few on the sidewalls, but they're not very thick there. And Most Radials have 3 Ply sidewalls. They will flex, which is good on the rocks but they are prone to easy tears and punctures on the rubber. The steel cords help some in preventing large gashes but they do allow smaller cuts and often go flat from that. The heavier cords on the bottom don't offer much flex and thus they don't "wrap" around rocks much". A little but not a lot. But the main problem with Radials on the rocks is the rubber compound. The rubber is much harder then Bias Play and thus don't "stick" to the rocks as well. There are some Competition Radials that have the softer rubber but the KM2 is not one of them. I've had both kinds on my crawler and I've seen hundreds of rigs on the trails and these are my observations. The one thing I really like about the TSL SX Bias Ply is that it has 6 Ply sidewalls. They flex better then most people think, since the rubber is softer, but they won't cut or gash on you what so ever. And most people run their Bias Ply's on the trail at 5 pounds or lower, so you get plent of flex and the tires mold to the rocks and that soft rubber just clings. I know some of the guys with heavier rigs have to fill their Bias Ply's back up because they can get flat spots if they sit awhile but my rig is super light and with only 2 pounds, they don't even look like they are deflated. But when the are forced up against rocks, they squish plenty. And last but not least, those TSL SX are not expensive. I can buy a new set every 2 years, while some guys have to go 4 years and drive their Maxxis Creepy Crawlers until their tires are basically bald with tiny nubs because they cost so damn much, hahahaha.

I guess the main reason why I like the Bias Ply is they let me go up darn near verticle rocks and I couldn't do this trail before when I had Radials. :sunshine:

http://members.cox.net/azhelton/ZUK/ww10.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azhelton/ZUK/ww13.jpg

worm
06-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Nice looking Suzuki Zona.

Quoydogs
06-09-2010, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=Quoydogs;2859993]

In tests (I will dig these up if need be ), you will find that the rubber will split before the steel belts break or the Nylon cord breaks . Just doesn't add up. Also a Bias Ply tire is very stiff which makes it far more accessible to tearing then a Flexible one. That's part of the problem with Radials on the trails. The thin rubber on the sides always tears or cuts enough to make them go flat. The cords don't have to be broken or torn and most times they don't. All it takes is for a puncture to go through the rubber and you're flat. The Bias Ply are not as stiff as you think. Even ones with 6 Ply sides. You have to consider that most people who use a Bias Ply are using them off-road only. They will air down to 5 pounds or less. They get plenty of flex at that pressure.

It all depends on application. First I will just say, that if you drive your 4wheeler on the roads at all, Bias Ply is not the tire for that. Bias Ply should only be used for off-road only. And when it comes to offroad, that is where the Bias Ply's really kick butt over the Radials. Radial tires of course have the steel cords. They have them on the tread (where the cords are the most thickest) and they have a few on the sidewalls, but they're not very thick there. And Most Radials have 3 Ply sidewalls. They will flex, which is good on the rocks but they are prone to easy tears and punctures on the rubber. The steel cords help some in preventing large gashes but they do allow smaller cuts and often go flat from that. The heavier cords on the bottom don't offer much flex and thus they don't "wrap" around rocks much". A little but not a lot. But the main problem with Radials on the rocks is the rubber compound. The rubber is much harder then Bias Play and thus don't "stick" to the rocks as well. There are some Competition Radials that have the softer rubber but the KM2 is not one of them. I've had both kinds on my crawler and I've seen hundreds of rigs on the trails and these are my observations. The one thing I really like about the TSL SX Bias Ply is that it has 6 Ply sidewalls. They flex better then most people think, since the rubber is softer, but they won't cut or gash on you what so ever. And most people run their Bias Ply's on the trail at 5 pounds or lower, so you get plent of flex and the tires mold to the rocks and that soft rubber just clings. I know some of the guys with heavier rigs have to fill their Bias Ply's back up because they can get flat spots if they sit awhile but my rig is super light and with only 2 pounds, they don't even look like they are deflated. But when the are forced up against rocks, they squish plenty. And last but not least, those TSL SX are not expensive. I can buy a new set every 2 years, while some guys have to go 4 years and drive their Maxxis Creepy Crawlers until their tires are basically bald with tiny nubs because they cost so damn much, hahahaha.

I guess the main reason why I like the Bias Ply is they let me go up darn near verticle rocks and I couldn't do this trail before when I had Radials. :sunshine:

http://members.cox.net/azhelton/ZUK/ww10.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azhelton/ZUK/ww13.jpg
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I do like your ride though. I have never got the crazy but I did go up hells revenge and Potato salad. They were pretty fun. What you are doing is just plain SICK!