PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com ranks Chargers as top team.

BlaK-Argentina
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I know I know, power rankings suck... whatever.

Funny to see all the SD ass kissing this early.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818768f4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Chris
06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
This is outrageous. It's almost as bad as the pundits that think Argentina is going to win the world cup.

NYBronco
06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
With the additions of Nolan and Super Marshall I expected the Dolphins to be #1. :giggle:

Baba Booey
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
A break.

Give me one.

Los Broncos
06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
And they'll be picked again to win the super bowl, and again they'll fail.

Houshyamama
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey, they're wrong about most everything, every year. Glad to see us low on that list, probably means we'll do well and the Chargers will miss the playoffs.

Why do you guys care what these "experts" think? They seriously, honestly have NO idea what's going to happen. These rankings smell like **** because they're pulled straight out of his ass.

gunns
06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Athlon has the Chargers losing to the Jets in the playoffs, I believe the divisional round. They have Baltimore beating Minnesota in the SB. I love seeing how wrong they are at the end of the year.

Blart
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
You have to pick SD to be #1 early on. After the season starts you won't get another chance.

DenverBrit
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
You have to pick SD to be #1 early on. After the season starts you won't get another chance.

Ha!

broncosteven
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Best 8-8 team EVER!

Taco John
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Is it that time already?

BlaK-Argentina
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
this is outrageous. It's almost as bad as the pundits that think argentina is going to win the world cup.

lol

Doggcow
06-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Falcons #7 ahead of the likes of NYJ, MIN, NO... LOL

Doggcow
06-07-2010, 05:03 PM
20. Seahawks -- Coach Pete Carroll has re-energized the troops and QB Matt Hasselbeck (http://www.nfl.com/players/matthasselbeck/profile?id=HAS536799) is really dialed in, but there are still a lot of holes that need to be plugged.

Wow, yeah, definitely this guy is talking out of his ass.

Before a single snap, we already know that Matt Hasselbeck is to have a Career Year and Pete Carroll is the best coach in the league.

Tombstone RJ
06-07-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure why the Broncos are even in the top 30... yes, they suck that bad... Orton = suck, oline = suck, defensive line = suck, Moreno = suck, WR + TEs = complete fail, secondary = suck, LBers = suck.

This team is so bad, it will be lucky to win one game, in the preseason, forget about the regular season. Anyone thinking Orton is going to actually be better this year is crazy, after all, he's completely maxed out his potential... the running game is not going to do anything even with bigger, younger, more talented guys up front and a 2nd year RB who was the top rated RB in the entire draft last year, that means nothing... Oh well, better wait until next, next year....

boltaneer
06-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the jinx, Steve Wyche!

Hamrob
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
The NFL Network is responsible for this ranking? Anyone surprised that we're so low on the list...Mr. Dukes?

Look, this is crap. We're a better team this year. We still have Orton and he will be better than last year...so, anyway you look at it...our QB situation will be improved from last season. Our schedule is softer and most of our players will have been in the system for a full year.

When you have a draft like we did in 06 and then blow it up 3yrs later...the so-called experts are going to respond negatively...until you start to win.

This year we go 11-5 and make the playoffs.

BMarsh615
06-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Isn't this the 5th consecutive preseason Super Bowl the Chargers have won?

BMarsh615
06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I also think its funny that the media completely overlooks the fact that Floyd, Jackson, McNeil, and Merriman have missed all of the offseason activities. If Chris Kuper, Elvis Dumervil, and Kyle Orton did that McDaniels would be getting ripped to shreds.

boltaneer
06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I also think its funny that the media completely overlooks the fact that Floyd, Jackson, McNeil, and Merriman have missed all of the offseason activities. If Chris Kuper, Elvis Dumervil, and Kyle Orton did that McDaniels would be getting ripped to shreds.

As of last week, I believe there were over forty players who haven't signed their offer sheets yet.

With 2011 as a complete unknown, no one is going to bash ownership for playing this out very carefully.

Also, Floyd signed his tender today. Possibly, except for Merriman, they all will, because they all stand to lose a boat load of money if they don't. But they'll probably wait until the last minute to do so, to get the most out of their 'protest'.

This is no surprise. You could have predicted this is the way it was going to unfold back in February.

Br0nc0Buster
06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Oakland ahead of Denver?.....hmmm

I look forward to the divisional games I think they should be much more competitive

boltaneer
06-07-2010, 07:21 PM
The NFL Network is responsible for this ranking? Anyone surprised that we're so low on the list...Mr. Dukes?

Look, this is crap. We're a better team this year. We still have Orton and he will be better than last year...so, anyway you look at it...our QB situation will be improved from last season. Our schedule is softer and most of our players will have been in the system for a full year.

When you have a draft like we did in 06 and then blow it up 3yrs later...the so-called experts are going to respond negatively...until you start to win.

This year we go 11-5 and make the playoffs.

Wow. :spit:

watermock
06-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Clady hurt, Marshall and Sheff gone, Orton looking over his shoulder, DC, RB and OL coaches gone...Harris is a question too, as is still the whole OL.

We were embarrased at home Vs. both Oakland and KC in important games, as well as Washington.

Suspect draft, again. 6-9 to 10-6 considering the plate.

SD? 9-7-11-5 top 10 yet at best.

2 of the worst divisons battling it out this year, records will be misleading.

Ugly Duck
06-08-2010, 12:18 AM
These rankings smell like **** because they're pulled straight out of his ass.

The NFL.com Senior Writer is a professional expert who spent many hours analyzing data and compiling that list... it didn't just suddenly come pooping out of his butthole. After all, he didn't put Denver behind KC... that should garner at least a modicum of support from you.

watermock
06-08-2010, 12:31 AM
You think SD is #1?

I put them around 12. Denver @ 18.

Not #1 with champions presaent.

I pick NO, Jets, Minn, Miami in the mix

ZONA
06-08-2010, 12:42 AM

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ugly Duck
06-08-2010, 07:11 AM
You think SD is #1?

No... I'm just being an ass. Lookit this:

Report: Jackson, McNeill ready to sit out

ESPN.com news services

The San Diego Chargers are ready to play hard ball with receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill, sending a letter to the pair informing them that their salaries will be drastically cut if they don't sign their contract tenders before June 15.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed that the players were sent the letters when contacted by the San Diego Union-Tribune.

According to the newspaper, Jackson's salary would be slashed from $3.268 million to $583,000 if he doesn't sign by next week and McNeil's pay would drop from $3.168 million to $600,000.

Sources told the Union-Tribune that if the agents for both players recently informed the team that that Jackson and McNeill would stay away from the team for "some time" if they were sent the letters.

And the Union-Tribune, citing sources familiar with the thinking of the players, reported that the duo were prepared to sit out into the season and perhaps boycott the entire 2010 campaign.

Report: San Diego Chargers warn absent Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5263198)[/QUOTE]

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
20. Seahawks -- Coach Pete Carroll has re-energized the troops and QB Matt Hasselbeck (http://www.nfl.com/players/matthasselbeck/profile?id=HAS536799) is really dialed in, but there are still a lot of holes that need to be plugged.

Wow, yeah, definitely this guy is talking out of his ass.

Before a single snap, we already know that Matt Hasselbeck is to have a Career Year and Pete Carroll is the best coach in the league.

As silly as a lot of that article is, he neither said, nor even alluded to, what you inferred from that sentence...

boltaneer
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM

ESPN.com news services

The San Diego Chargers are ready to play hard ball with receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill, sending a letter to the pair informing them that their salaries will be drastically cut if they don't sign their contract tenders before June 15.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed that the players were sent the letters when contacted by the San Diego Union-Tribune.

According to the newspaper, Jackson's salary would be slashed from $3.268 million to $583,000 if he doesn't sign by next week and McNeil's pay would drop from $3.168 million to $600,000.

Sources told the Union-Tribune that if the agents for both players recently informed the team that that Jackson and McNeill would stay away from the team for "some time" if they were sent the letters.

And the Union-Tribune, citing sources familiar with the thinking of the players, reported that the duo were prepared to sit out into the season and perhaps boycott the entire 2010 campaign.

Report: San Diego Chargers warn absent Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5263198)

This is all just posturing. First of all, sitting out the entire season, gets them no where because they'll just be in the same situation in 2011. And if they're willing to not sign the tender and sit out the ten games and get the final six games needed to accrue the season, they and their agents are stupider than I thought. They'd both be playing for about $225K this season.

Ain't gonna happen.

P.S. - The players and their agents are being really naive here. They should be pissed at the NFLPA, not the owners. The NFLPA are the ones who have let it get to this uncapped year. For the owners, 2010 is a dream scenario. 2011, is a different story because no one knows what's going to happen if it gets to that point.

The NFLPA played a dangerous game of chicken and they lost. They never should have let it get to this point. Somehow, someway I'm pretty sure a new CBA will get done before doomsday (2011) because like everyone keeps saying, they're not going to kill that golden goose. So why even let it get to this uncapped year? The owners are the one reaping the benefits right now.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 09:29 AM

ESPN.com news services

Report: San Diego Chargers warn absent Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5263198)[/QUOTE]

Yah, it really does neither player any good to sit out. Smith knows they want new contracts, the message is clear. The best thing they can do for now is get back to work. I'd love to see both hold out, but it just ain't happening...

colonelbeef
06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Amazing. They just never ****ing learn.

Norv Turner simply does not have what it takes to win an NFL championship. He does not have the balls to take risks when necessary, and the team does not play with the will to fight through adversity. Same goes for Wade Phillips.

Good guys, decent coordinators. Poor leaders of men.

Kaylore
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Yah, it really does neither player any good to sit out. Smith knows they want new contracts, the message is clear. The best thing they can do for now is get back to work. I'd love to see both hold out, but it just ain't happening...
See I think the team needs them more than they need the team. McNeil not playing would be a huge blow as would their primary receiver. Their season is shot if they sit out. This reminds me of Emmit Smith's hold out where the Cowboys struggled and finally they paid him and they surged into the playoffs.

Paying them less than their tender is certainly NOT going to make them want to play. That would create a huge rift between them and FO for sure.

boltaneer
06-08-2010, 12:11 PM
See I think the team needs them more than they need the team. McNeil not playing would be a huge blow as would their primary receiver. Their season is shot if they sit out. This reminds me of Emmit Smith's hold out where the Cowboys struggled and finally they paid him and they surged into the playoffs.

Paying them less than their tender is certainly NOT going to make them want to play. That would create a huge rift between them and FO for sure.

They've had months to sign the tender. The ball is in their court. Sign the tender and play. Malcom Floyd said yesterday that he finally signed his tender because waiting any longer wouldn't do any good. And he's right. The players have no leverage here.

CBA situation aside, Jackson is in somewhat of a similar situation as Brandon Marshall was in. Elite talent and production but with off the field issues that are keeping management wary of giving him a new contract.

From what I understand about McNeill, they had offered him a contract last year and he and his agent turned it down. The offer remained there until he got injured again and now there are concerns that his spine/neck issues from pre-NFL are becoming an issue again.

There are legitimate issues that are in the way of a new contract for both of these guys. I would like to see both of them get new contracts but I understand why it's difficult right now.

Xenos
06-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Amazing. They just never ****ing learn.

Norv Turner simply does not have what it takes to win an NFL championship. He does not have the balls to take risks when necessary, and the team does not play with the will to fight through adversity. Same goes for Wade Phillips.

Good guys, decent coordinators. Poor leaders of men.

This has nothing to do with Norv. What the heck are you smoking?

OABB
06-08-2010, 12:27 PM

boltaneer
06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/918/slideshow_91804/display_image.jpg

Mountain Bronco
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
SD is laughably high. Lets prove something before we hand out paper championships. Denver is where it deserves to be though. Lots of new additions and potential, but they haven't had the chance to show anything. 15-20 is about right for Denver.

The biggest suprise is the lack of respect for the Saints. They lost some players, but are still loaded on offense and play in the dome. They should be top 3 minimum. They will win their division easily and probably have home field again.

400HZ
06-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Jackson is going to be sitting out part of the season either way.

KCStud
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Not everyone is on the Chuggers bandwagon. Watch NFL Live today. This is what Bruschi had to say...

"That's why nobody in the league takes the SD Chargers seriously. They will be heavily favored to win the division, but in the postseason they've struggled. They can be the one seed, two seed or sixth seed and they still come short. They come up short at their home field. You're talking about your letting someone come in your house and win on your turf."

Xenos
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Every team is going through this right now from the Patriots to the Colts to the Cowboys. They'll all sign on June 14th, except for someone Merriman who actually has slightly more to gain by not signing his tender.

Kaylore
06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
They've had months to sign the tender. The ball is in their court. Sign the tender and play. Malcom Floyd said yesterday that he finally signed his tender because waiting any longer wouldn't do any good. And he's right. The players have no leverage here.

I wouldn't say they have no leverage, they just will give up a lot by not signing. On the flip side though, the Chargers lose a lot by them not signing. I think one of them could strong arm the FO into something here. If AJ low balls them then you can bet they'll be really pissed. If they didn't like playing for 3 mil, explain to me why they'd want to come in for 500k? That's more than a slap in the face, that's a raping.

oubronco
06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
**** the Chuggers

RonDaChamp24
06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
The RAIDERS are ranked ahead of us. You know this list is sh*t.

boltaneer
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't say they have no leverage, they just will give up a lot by not signing. On the flip side though, the Chargers lose a lot by them not signing. I think one of them could strong arm the FO into something here. If AJ low balls them then you can bet they'll be really pissed. If they didn't like playing for 3 mil, explain to me why they'd want to come in for 500k? That's more than a slap in the face, that's a raping.

That's the entire point. They're not going to give up $2.5 million. A number of players make the threat of sitting out the season every year but how many players have actually followed through with that threat?

They'll sign the tender.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-08-2010, 06:26 PM
It's not that far fetched.

The Colts are getting a little stale, the Steelers have all these problems with Big Ben, and the Ravens are a year away. The Patriots are going downhill. The Saints still have defensive issues, Super Bowl or not, and the Vikings have an ancient quarterback who could break at any second.

The Chargers had a great draft and Rivers is hitting his stride, into his prime. They're going to be really good for four or five years.

enjolras
06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Crap.. I was getting ready to post something along the lines of "It's not really unreasonable.."

Then Bob showed up, and now I'm positive that it's stupid.

boltaneer
06-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Well, Bob is allowed to be right once a year. ;D

Xenos
06-08-2010, 09:17 PM
That's why there will not be any holdout. They'll make their fuss and then sign their tender by the 14th.

Xenos
06-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, Bob is allowed to be right once a year. ;D
Bob < Broken Clock?

boltaneer
06-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Also, if I'm not mistaken, next year if there is no CBA (but there is football), teams will have a Franchise Tag and two Transition Tags. Jackson and McNeill will most certainly be tagged next year, if it comes down to it.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Also, if I'm not mistaken, next year if there is no CBA (but there is football), teams will have a Franchise Tag and two Transition Tags. Jackson and McNeill will most certainly be tagged next year, if it comes down to it.

AJ just loves making friends...

boltaneer
06-08-2010, 11:43 PM
AJ just loves making friends...

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Maybe McNeill should have signed the contract the Chargers offered last year.

Maybe Jackson should call a cab when he goes out boozing.

TonyR
06-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Chargers Pro Bowlers plan to hold out
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 9, 2010 11:50 AM ET

The simmering contract situations surrounding Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeil look ready to boil.

We mentioned a report from Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune earlier this week that both players that the players are prepared to sit out into training camp and beyond. ESPN's Adam Schefter writes that is precisely their plan.

Both players do not plan to report for the start of training camp and Jackson especially appears to be readying for a long holdout that could extend into the season. We heard McNeil may sign his tender before holding out, but Schefter writes that both players plan to stay unsigned for a long time.

We don't doubt the serious intent of both players, but this is typically tough talk for June. If we hit late August, with fines piling up, then we'll know they are serious.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/chargers-pro-bowlers-plan-to-hold-out/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5267660

Kaylore
06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
That's why there will not be any holdout. They'll make their fuss and then sign their tender by the 14th.

:thanku::giggle:

We don't doubt the serious intent of both players, but this is typically tough talk for June. If we hit late August, with fines piling up, then we'll know they are serious.

You can't fine someone who isn't under contract.

The Joker
06-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I still think they sign.

If not, there'll be a few weeks of drama and then things will be sorted out before the season kicks off, or maybe Jackson holds out longer because he's suspended anyway.

Both sides need each other, at the end of the day.

Chris
06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Why was Jackson suspended?

The Joker
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Why was Jackson suspended?

He isn't yet, but he will be I'm sure.

Had a DUI in 2009 and then was caught driving without a license a while back. 2nd strike, no way Big Roggy D doesn't drop the banhammer.

boltaneer
06-09-2010, 11:57 AM
:thanku::giggle:

You can't fine someone who isn't under contract.

Correct.

But if they don't sign their tender by the 14th, they lose a Lot more money in salary than they would by fines.

That's why they'll sign their tender. A.J. knows this. Everyone knows this.

TonyR
06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
That's why they'll sign their tender. A.J. knows this. Everyone knows this.

Are you 100% sure about this? Did you miss my previous post? And here's more fuel for the fire:

Report: Chargers will sign Tra Thomas
Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2010 1:48 PM ET

With the prospect of a holdout by starting left tackle Marcus McNeill looking more likely with every passing day, the Chargers are reportedly ready to cover their (and Philip Rivers's) rear ends.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the team will sign veteran offensive tackle Tra Thomas on Wednesday. Thomas, who will turn 36 in November, spent last season with the Jaguars, where he started three games while mostly serving as a backup for rookies Eben Britton and Eugene Monroe. The Jaguars released him in February.

It was Thomas's only season in Jacksonville, who he joined after spending 11 seasons with the Eagles. Thomas started 165 of the 166 games he played while with Philadelphia, making three Pro Bowls in the process.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/report-chargers-will-sign-tra-thomas/

boltaneer
06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Are you 100% sure about this? Did you miss my previous post? And here's more fuel for the fire:

Report: Chargers will sign Tra Thomas
Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2010 1:48 PM ET

With the prospect of a holdout by starting left tackle Marcus McNeill looking more likely with every passing day, the Chargers are reportedly ready to cover their (and Philip Rivers's) rear ends.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the team will sign veteran offensive tackle Tra Thomas on Wednesday. Thomas, who will turn 36 in November, spent last season with the Jaguars, where he started three games while mostly serving as a backup for rookies Eben Britton and Eugene Monroe. The Jaguars released him in February.

It was Thomas's only season in Jacksonville, who he joined after spending 11 seasons with the Eagles. Thomas started 165 of the 166 games he played while with Philadelphia, making three Pro Bowls in the process.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/09/report-chargers-will-sign-tra-thomas/

Yeah, I saw your post. I've been following this whole "drama" for months now.

I'll say it yet again. THEY WILL SIGN THEIR TENDER. They're not going to throw away $2.5 million just to prove their protest. No one is that stupid.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if they hold out in camp after signing the tender. But I'd be shocked if it went into the season. I've asked this already but someone tell me who has actually held out the minimum number of games just to get credit for the season? Or held out the entire season. It just doesn't happen. It's a posturing tactic to get a new contract. If the team calls their bluff (which they do 99% of the time), then they end their holdout when the season starts because they have nothing more to gain and only paychecks to lose.

Rookies are a bit of a different situation because they know they have a contract coming to them (unlike vets holding out because of a tag or tender) but look at every time a rook holds out. They don't get it. Crabtree is the latest example. He finally caved in and signed his contract and he didn't get the money that he held out for. He gained nothing by missing all those games.

Tra Thomas would be a nice vet backup to have regardless of the McNeill situation. That was something they were missing last year until they signed Runyan late in the season. But yeah, I'm sure this is an insurance policy in the extreme case that McNeill actually holds out. But they could definitely use this guy anyway. Their swing tackle is Dombrowski and while he played admirably last year at RT filling in after Clary got hurt, there's no way I'd feel comfortable with him starting at LT.

Xenos
06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Unless they're willing to take a massive paycut, McNeill and VJ will sign their tender. Just like Elvis Dumervil will if no long term contract is worked out yet.

TonyR
06-09-2010, 01:19 PM
I'll say it yet again. THEY WILL SIGN THEIR TENDER. They're not going to throw away $2.5 million just to prove their protest. No one is that stupid.

I agreed with this until Schefter reported otherwise at which point I started to wonder.

boltaneer
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-trenchestalkwhenwill

Expect almost all training camp holdouts to end before or on Aug. 10. Why is that date so important? In this uncapped year, all players must report to camp at least 30 days before the first game of the league year—the Sept. 9 Vikings-Saints game—or will not receive credit for a year of service, as detailed by ProFootballTalk.com.

Also, what if there is a strike next year. Are these hold-outs willing to go two years without pay?

All this aside, Floyd signing his tender and the signing of Tra Thomas hurt what miniscule leverage McNeill and Jackson had to begin with.

IMO, they'll sign their tender, then hold out until August 10th. I'm more worried about which jersey's the Chargers will wear on opening night rather than all this "drama".

400HZ
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
My heart always fills with sympathy when the millionaire players start fighting with the millionaire owners about money. Poor guys.

Kaylore
06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
If that's true that they need to be at camp to get any credit at all then I don't know why they didn't sign their tender months ago. Something's not right...

boltaneer
06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
If that's true that they need to be at camp to get any credit at all then I don't know why they didn't sign their tender months ago. Something's not right...

Because it's the only way they can protest without actually holding out and losing money.

There are still a lot of players all over the league who have not signed their tender. Aside from a few cases (where it won't be a major paycut such as Merriman), they'll all do it before the 14th.

colonelbeef
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
This has nothing to do with Norv. What the heck are you smoking?

Let me get this straight- how a good a pro football team is perceived to be has nothing to do with its' head coach, the guy who decides the depth chart, picks the coaches, and runs and designs all gameplans and plays?

Please have at least a room temperature IQ when replying to something I've said, thanks in advance

Xenos
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Let me get this straight- how a good a pro football team is perceived to be has nothing to do with its' head coach, the guy who decides the depth chart, picks the coaches, and runs and designs all gameplans and plays?

Please have at least a room temperature IQ when replying to something I've said, thanks in advance
Except, that this discussion about contracts has nothing to do with the quality of a HC unless that HC also runs the FO. Please study the nuances of football before you reply.

TheReverend
06-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Except, that this discussion about contracts has nothing to do with the quality of a HC unless that HC also runs the FO. Please study the nuances of football before you reply.

Here's the solution to the problem you're having:

1. Read the thread title and the original post in the thread

2. Re-read his original post and note that he's quoting you or the discussion about your potential hold-outs

3. Realize this thread isn't about the contract situation, though that's become a side topic, and he wasn't commenting about it.

broncswin
06-09-2010, 08:37 PM
My heart always fills with sympathy when the millionaire players start fighting with the millionaire owners about money. Poor guys.

totally agree HZ...very hard times for these guys...I mean geeze they gotta feed their families

Bob's your Information Minister
06-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Norv is smart enough not to **** it up. That's all he really has to do.

I mean, ****, Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl.

Xenos
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Here's the solution to the problem you're having:

1. Read the thread title and the original post in the thread

2. Re-read his original post and note that he's quoting you or the discussion about your potential hold-outs

3. Realize this thread isn't about the contract situation, though that's become a side topic, and he wasn't commenting about it.

I think the problem is that that has become the thread and the OP's title became mixed with the contract situation. The fact that he posted right after the contract situation was posted by multiple other people added to the confusion.

So now that's out of the way and I understand what he actually meant, I still disagree with him about Norv being the reason why the Chargers have had problems. Whether it's Coryell, Schotty, or Turner, it seems that the team has a tendency to either run into really bad luck or shoot itself in the foot.

Xenos
06-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Norv is smart enough not to **** it up. That's all he really has to do.

I mean, ****, Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl.

Barry didn't coach a cursed team. This is what we get for trading Alworth to the Cowboys.

boltaneer
06-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Norv has proven that he's a good head coach. People are still clinging to the memories of his Washington days. I was even guilty of that a couple of years ago.

cutthemdown
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Eventually Chargers will have to win something to deserve all the great media play they get each off season. I say they choke it away again.

How much value does there new RB get in my keeper fantasy league? This is a 2000-3000 dollar a yr league so this **** is important!!!

Is he the best of all the rookie Rb's?

Xenos
06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Eventually Chargers will have to win something to deserve all the great media play they get each off season. I say they choke it away again.

How much value does there new RB get in my keeper fantasy league? This is a 2000-3000 dollar a yr league so this **** is important!!!

Ryan Matthews is the most well rounded of the rookie running backs and he has a good chance to do well in Norv's system. CJ Spiller is the other option, and he might do better solely on the fact that Buffalo will have to rely on him much more since they have a shakey QB situation.

As for us getting the media attention, it's the same attention that teams like the Saints got before they won it all. Whether this is our year or not is up in the air as always.

boltaneer
06-09-2010, 09:39 PM

I would say yes...

But I say be a homer and get Knowshon! :flower:

TonyR
06-10-2010, 08:29 AM
A.J. Smith calls bluffs of Marcus McNeill, Vincent Jackson
Posted by Mike Florio on June 10, 2010 8:41 AM ET

The decision of the San Diego Chargers to sign veteran tackle Tra Thomas comes not from a desire to add depth to the rotation.

Instead, Thomas apparently represents insurance against the strong possibility that current left tackle Marcus McNeill will hold out into the 2010 regular season.

"It's my understanding we have lost the services of both [left tackle] Marcus [McNeill] and [receiver] Vincent [Jackson] for a considerable length of time," General Manager A.J. Smith said Thursday, per Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I certainly am taking them at their word. Therefore, I felt it was in our best interest to act quickly and secure a veteran left tackle. Tra is a talented player that brings us a wealth of starting experience. He will be added to the mix, and we will go from there."

Of course, if Smith truly is taking both players at their word, he'd also be signing receiver Terrell Owens. Until Smith does, we'll conclude that he's simply playing games.

Of the two high-profile unsigned Chargers, Jackson is the one more likely to hold out. Indications we've picked up suggest his camp is unfazed by the looming (as of Tuesday) decrease in his tender offer to 110 percent of his 2009 base salary, and that Jackson likewise has no qualms about holding out into the season because he expects to be suspended for at least two games in the wake of his second DUI guilty plea.

As to McNeill, we suspect he'll flinch by Tuesday and sign his tender. Though he may hold out thereafter, it won't be for long. If he's under contract and if he stays out beyond August 10, he'll lose a year of service toward unrestricted free agency.

The arrival of Thomas possibly represents the straw that will cause McNeill and agent Alvin Keels to ink the tender.

Now, please allow us to get our popcorn ready for the next step in the tug-o-war between the Chargers and Jackson, which if Smith is serious should involve adding the guy who'll then tell us to get our popcorn ready.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/10/aj-smith-calls-bluffs-of-marcus-mcneill-vincent-jackson/

Xenos
06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
A.J. Smith calls bluffs of Marcus McNeill, Vincent Jackson
Posted by Mike Florio on June 10, 2010 8:41 AM ET

The decision of the San Diego Chargers to sign veteran tackle Tra Thomas comes not from a desire to add depth to the rotation.

Instead, Thomas apparently represents insurance against the strong possibility that current left tackle Marcus McNeill will hold out into the 2010 regular season.

"It's my understanding we have lost the services of both [left tackle] Marcus [McNeill] and [receiver] Vincent [Jackson] for a considerable length of time," General Manager A.J. Smith said Thursday, per Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I certainly am taking them at their word. Therefore, I felt it was in our best interest to act quickly and secure a veteran left tackle. Tra is a talented player that brings us a wealth of starting experience. He will be added to the mix, and we will go from there."

Of course, if Smith truly is taking both players at their word, he'd also be signing receiver Terrell Owens. Until Smith does, we'll conclude that he's simply playing games.

Of the two high-profile unsigned Chargers, Jackson is the one more likely to hold out. Indications we've picked up suggest his camp is unfazed by the looming (as of Tuesday) decrease in his tender offer to 110 percent of his 2009 base salary, and that Jackson likewise has no qualms about holding out into the season because he expects to be suspended for at least two games in the wake of his second DUI guilty plea.

As to McNeill, we suspect he'll flinch by Tuesday and sign his tender. Though he may hold out thereafter, it won't be for long. If he's under contract and if he stays out beyond August 10, he'll lose a year of service toward unrestricted free agency.

The arrival of Thomas possibly represents the straw that will cause McNeill and agent Alvin Keels to ink the tender.

Now, please allow us to get our popcorn ready for the next step in the tug-o-war between the Chargers and Jackson, which if Smith is serious should involve adding the guy who'll then tell us to get our popcorn ready.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/10/aj-smith-calls-bluffs-of-marcus-mcneill-vincent-jackson/
There's no way we're going to add TO. We'll add another vet wide receiver, but Smith is not going to add a lockerroom cancer after trading Cromartie. Additionally, the position of receiver is slightly more secure than the tackle position.

TonyR
06-15-2010, 10:45 AM

I warned you.

Report: Chargers' Jackson, McNeill preparing for long holdout
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 15, 2010 10:42 AM ET

San Diego Chargers restricted free agents Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill are reportedly making financial preparations not only to sit out for the first 10 weeks of the 2010 season, but also to sit through all of 2011 without getting paid if the owners lock out the players.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Jackson and McNeill have made financial preparations in case a lockout wipes out the 2011 season.

Jackson and McNeill both declined to sign their one-year tender offers before midnight last night, which means both will have those offers reduced from more than $3 million to about $600,000. But if they both play only six weeks (which is the minimum needed to earn an accrued season toward unrestricted free agency), Jackson will make $206,000 and McNeill $212,000 in 2010.

Obviously, there are lots of people reading this who will make less than $212,000, total, in 2010 and 2011. So it doesn't exactly seem like a Herculean feat for Jackson and McNeill to make the financial preparations necessary to live on that much money for the next two years.

But when Jackson and McNeill have both turned up their noses at more than $3 million for 2010, living for the next two years on just over $200,000 seems like a stretch. In any event, it's wise for every NFL player to make financial preparations for the possibility of missing paychecks in 2011. On that front, Jackson and McNeill are apparently leading the way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/15/report-chargers-jackson-mcneill-preparing-for-long-holdout/

boltaneer
06-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I warned you.

Report: Chargers' Jackson, McNeill preparing for long holdout
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 15, 2010 10:42 AM ET

San Diego Chargers restricted free agents Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill are reportedly making financial preparations not only to sit out for the first 10 weeks of the 2010 season, but also to sit through all of 2011 without getting paid if the owners lock out the players.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Jackson and McNeill have made financial preparations in case a lockout wipes out the 2011 season.

Jackson and McNeill both declined to sign their one-year tender offers before midnight last night, which means both will have those offers reduced from more than $3 million to about $600,000. But if they both play only six weeks (which is the minimum needed to earn an accrued season toward unrestricted free agency), Jackson will make $206,000 and McNeill $212,000 in 2010.

Obviously, there are lots of people reading this who will make less than $212,000, total, in 2010 and 2011. So it doesn't exactly seem like a Herculean feat for Jackson and McNeill to make the financial preparations necessary to live on that much money for the next two years.

But when Jackson and McNeill have both turned up their noses at more than $3 million for 2010, living for the next two years on just over $200,000 seems like a stretch. In any event, it's wise for every NFL player to make financial preparations for the possibility of missing paychecks in 2011. On that front, Jackson and McNeill are apparently leading the way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/15/report-chargers-jackson-mcneill-preparing-for-long-holdout/

It sounds like if they are going to give in, they're going to take it down to the very last minute. Most players caved yesterday.

The reason I was so adamant about them signing it before the deadline is that they have absolutely nothing to gain by holding out and only millions to lose. I can't believe they'd actually be stupid enough to do this so we'll see.

They actually have until midnight tonight to sign it. We'll see if they give in or not.

400HZ
06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
My feeling all along was that this was going to get ugly. I highly doubt that either player gives in now. Jackson saw Brandon Marshall's deal and knows what an elite receiver with jackass issues is worth in the NFL. He also saw Dez Bryant get drafted high despite sitting out a season. McNeil I don't know about. He isn't an elite player, but his two Pro Bowls probably have formed an image in his mind that he is. Hopefully Gates stays healthy all year and Ryan Mathews is all that he's cracked up to be. Also lost in all this talk is Shawne Merriman who has yet to sign his tender. Is he going to sign and if so is he going to be worth a **** this year? The talent level of the Chargers has declined dramatically over the past few years and this latest step might be a back breaker.

boltaneer
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
My feeling all along was that this was going to get ugly. I highly doubt that either player gives in now. Jackson saw Brandon Marshall's deal and knows what an elite receiver with jackass issues is worth in the NFL. He also saw Dez Bryant get drafted high despite sitting out a season. McNeil I don't know about. He isn't an elite player, but his two Pro Bowls probably have formed an image in his mind that he is. Hopefully Gates stays healthy all year and Ryan Mathews is all that he's cracked up to be. Also lost in all this talk is Shawne Merriman who has yet to sign his tender. Is he going to sign and if so is he going to be worth a **** this year? The talent level of the Chargers has declined dramatically over the past few years and this latest step might be a back breaker.

Merriman will sign. Unlike the others, he needs to show that he can play at an elite level again to get the big money he wants. He's been participating in some OTAs and activities but because of the way his tender works, he might not sign until training camp.

Really though. These guys are idiots if they don't sign the tender. If they want to play the six games it takes to get credit for the season, the smart guy takes the percentage of $3 million over the percentage over $500K, no?

Of course, no one accused most football players of being smart.

400HZ
06-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Merriman will sign. Unlike the others, he needs to show that he can play at an elite level again to get the big money he wants. He's been participating in some OTAs and activities but because of the way his tender works, he might not sign until training camp.

Really though. These guys are idiots if they don't sign the tender. If they want to play the six games it takes to get credit for the season, the smart guy takes the percentage of $3 million over the percentage over $500K, no?

Of course, no one accused most football players of being smart.

I wish the NFL would go to baseball style guaranteed contracts. Until then both players are just doing the smart thing financially. They could make 3 million dollars this year and then get a huge payday afterwards. Or they could get 3 million, get hurt, and never make another dollar in the NFL. Option C is sit out this season and then get a huge contract the next (or next.) Situations like this are the reason that the upcoming labor dispute is going to be nasty. In a way you have to admire the players for having the stones to turn down millions of dollars knowing full well that they'll have to live modestly the next two years before their pay day. It's just a fact in today's NFL that very few players give a crap about football compared to their salaries.