PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Ranking the Top AFCW D-linemen

Ugly Duck
06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
1. Richard Seymour, Oakland: Seymour is, by far, the best defensive lineman in this division. Itís not even close. Still, Seymour, who is entering his second season in Oakland, has plenty to prove. Seymour, 30, has to show he is still in his prime and he can bounce back from an inconsistent first season in Oakland.

2. Luis Castillo, San Diego: Castillo is a nice player. But he probably should be the second-best defensive lineman in a division. Heís solid, not great.

3. Glenn Dorsey, Kansas City: This was tough. I guess I still believe in Dorsey. But he has to show more in this third NFL season. He was expected to be much better than he has shown so far.

4. Jacques Cesaire, San Diego: A solid journeyman. He should be lower on this list next year if other players develop as expected.

5. Tyson Jackson, Kansas City: Like Dorsey, Jackson has to show up better than his rookie season. He was nowhere near as productive as the No. 3 overall pick is expected to be. But heís a hard worker and he should make strides in his second season.

6. Justin Bannan, Denver: This free-agent pickup is underrated. Heís versatile and he knows how to play winning football.

7. Jamal Williams, Denver: The former Charger may be on his last leg. But until he hangs it up, this massive nose tackle has to be respected.

8. Tommy Kelly, Oakland: Kelly is a big, well-paid man. But he is an underachiever.

9. Lamarr Houston, Oakland: Houston was drafted in the second round this year to help Oaklandís terrible run defense. The tackle looks like he will be very active.

10. Jarvis Green. Denver: This free-agent pickup is a decent pro. Heíll help Denver.

11. Vaughn Martin, San Diego: The second-year player is an interesting prospect. He is very raw, but talented.

12. Cam Thomas, San Diego: I like this fifth-round steal. Expect him to get a chance to replace Williams right away.

13. Wallace Gilberry, Kansas City: This is a diamond in the rough. Gilberry is a project who has nice pass-rush skills.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/13330/13330

Kaylore
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Glen Dorsey in the top 15? :giggle:ROFL!:spit:

tsiguy96
06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
glenn dorsey and tyson jackon, two monumental busts, made the top 10 list?

AFCW has pretty horrifying Dline players/depth.

Bleed n Orange
06-07-2010, 01:44 PM
so C Thomas with out stepping a foot on the field is 12, but Fields who actually played in the NFL is unranked? I'm all for potential and all but a 5th round rookie who has never palyed is better than a veteran who has started?

Los Broncos
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Glen Dorsey in the top 15? :giggle:ROFL!:spit:

Bob will be in soon.

phibacka31
06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Pretty horrid ranking... though I do agree that it's pretty slim pickings...

400HZ
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I can name 7 or 8 individual teams that have more defensive line talent than the AFC West. Sad.

BroncoBuff
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
6. Justin Bannan, Denver: This free-agent pickup is underrated. Heís versatile and he knows how to play winning football.

He's not underrated by those who know ... just look at his contract.

listopencil
06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I can name 7 or 8 individual teams that have more defensive line talent than the AFC West. Sad.

Heh, I know. Very frustrating.

OCBronco
06-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Burger Bill. Always good for a few laughs.

And, by the way, as much as I bag on Josina for being an awful reporter, Williamson is just as bad, if not worse.

Tombstone RJ
06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm suprised Bill put any Broncos on the list... it's not like the Broncos improved an already good and "relatively" young defensive line or anything... it's not like the Broncos defensive line was better than the faider's or the chef's defensive lines last year or anything... thanks for keeping it real Bill....

boltaneer
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Outside of Seymour (and Oakland), the AFC West d-linemen are unremarkable because they're all 3-4 teams. In general, only elite NTs stand out and unless Jamal bounces back from his injuries and overcomes the age factor, there aren't any in the AFC West.

worm
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Maybe he doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10 yet....but labeling Tyson Jackson a 'monumental bust' after one season is as idiotic as when people do it with Alphonso.

boltaneer
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Maybe he doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10 yet....but labeling Tyson Jackson a 'monumental bust' after one season is as idiotic as when people do it with Alphonso.

Yeah, it's way too early to call him a bust.

But IMO, neither Jackson or Dorsey will live up to their draft status because of the position they play.

Br0nc0Buster
06-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Well I watch almost all the KC game living in Kansas
Dorsey actually showed some progress last year
he may pan out, but he is still much better suited in a 4 man front not a 3 man one
Tyson Jackson was garbage, I have no idea why he is even on that list let alone 5th overall
he may be good eventually, but right now he is nowhere near the 5th best linemen, even in a division with such underwhelming talent at the position

400HZ
06-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah, it's way too early to call him a bust.

But IMO, neither Jackson or Dorsey will live up to their draft status because of the position they play.

I think Dorsey will make an impact in a few years but for a different team. Tyson Jackson was never a good prospect and will never be anything close to what Seymour is.

FireFly
06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
There is certainly a decent amount of potential along the lines in the West - but nothing that stands out right now!

FireFly
06-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I think Dorsey will make an impact in a few years but for a different team. Tyson Jackson was never a good prospect and will never be anything close to what Seymour is.

Harsh.

I agree that Jackson won't be Seymour but he was still a good prospect. Perhaps not as high as he was drafted but a top 15 pick certainly.

Dorsey has talent as well, but he suits one scheme better than another. And at this point, I don't think that it's theirs.

kmartin575
06-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Umm, how the **** do you call a guy who didn't shine in his first year a bust. As far as I am concerned, almost no player should be called a bust in his first 3 years. Sure Jackson was drafted higher and has more expectations because of that but I have just as much reason to call Ayers a bust because he didn't do **** his first year either.

And Glenn Dorsey a bust? He hasn't been the pass rushing terror he was thought to be but what do you expect when he is switched to a 3-4 DE? He was actually quite good last year and it was evident when he was out of the lineup that he started to come along quite well.

But hey, let's just call guys busts without any proof to back it up. And if a guy isn't all world his first year then he will never improve.

tsiguy96
06-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Umm, how the **** do you call a guy who didn't shine in his first year a bust. As far as I am concerned, almost no player should be called a bust in his first 3 years. Sure Jackson was drafted higher and has more expectations because of that but I have just as much reason to call Ayers a bust because he didn't do **** his first year either.

And Glenn Dorsey a bust? He hasn't been the pass rushing terror he was thought to be but what do you expect when he is switched to a 3-4 DE? He was actually quite good last year and it was evident when he was out of the lineup that he started to come along quite well.

But hey, let's just call guys busts without any proof to back it up. And if a guy isn't all world his first year then he will never improve.

ok, lets put it this way, tyson graded out absolutely horribly last year as a starting DE. can he get better? sure. but its more of a "ill believe it when i see it" thing.

glenn dorsey was the #5 overall pick and has done nothing in the NFL to justify that thus far.

Steve Sewell
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM

"AFCW has pretty horrifying beat writers" would be the more accurate statement.

kmartin575
06-07-2010, 10:37 PM
ok, lets put it this way, tyson graded out absolutely horribly last year as a starting DE. can he get better? sure. but its more of a "ill believe it when i see it" thing.

glenn dorsey was the #5 overall pick and has done nothing in the NFL to justify that thus far.

Hey, I agree Jackson wasn't very good last year. But calling him a bust is ridiculous. This article is obviously more of a projection than a current status of the rankings. Do I agree with doing it that way? Probably not, but oh well.

As far as Dorsey goes, just because of the position he plays now he will probably never live up to his draft status. But that does not make him a bad player, because he was actually quite good last year.

colonelbeef
06-08-2010, 10:15 AM

You love making proclamations way too early.

Claiming Dorsey to be a total bust this early is plain stupid. If he is a 'monumental bust', what is Alphonso Smith?

Doggcow
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
KingNeckBeard: I was ho-rocketing some skanks in a line with Jack-D hammer last night.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8868/kyleortonjack.gif

Los Broncos
06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
That GIF is great.

tsiguy96
06-08-2010, 10:33 AM
You love making proclamations way too early.

Claiming Dorsey to be a total bust this early is plain stupid. If he is a 'monumental bust', what is Alphonso Smith?

alphonso smith is a pick that i wish mcdaniels had back ;)

Rabb
06-08-2010, 10:37 AM
it has been one freaking year, good lord

tsiguy96
06-08-2010, 10:41 AM
it has been one freaking year, good lord

i still like him and hope he contributes, but it was one year for UDFA tony carter as well...

Rabb
06-08-2010, 10:44 AM
well, that's great and all...but it's way too early to compare or fully judge anything

Ugly Duck
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
almost no player should be called a bust in his first 3 years.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/jamarcus-seals.jpg

Steve Prefontaine
06-08-2010, 11:07 AM
what a sorry lot.

...the d-linemen i mean.

Mountain Bronco
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
This ranking list was made on reputatin (Seymor) and potential, not actual on the field production. That being said the pickings are slim and I don't know how I would have revised except for bumping down Dorsey and Jackson a bit as they have not really produced yet.

Swedish Extrovert
06-08-2010, 12:26 PM

I was about to say the same thing. Them being on there, and that high, says a lot about the credibility of this list.

colonelbeef
06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
alphonso smith is a pick that i wish mcdaniels had back ;)

I don't love what McDaniels has done with the drafts for obvious reasons, but I am willing to give Smith at least a few years to make a contribution... same has to go for Dorsey, even as fat and lazy as he appears to be currently

KCStud
06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
People claiming Dorsey and Jackson as busts don't know football. Dorsey looked miles better last year than his rookie year and that's with him switching to be a 3-4 DE. He was essentially a rookie last season and looked good. The game we didn't have him against Cleveland was horrible.

As for Jackson, no he didn't look that good last year, but he is also switching to a 3-4 DE. DL always have trouble in their first few years.
I think Jackson is going to be a very good player. Pioli thinks he is very similiar to Richard Seymour. Well his potential seems to be high because Belicheck thinks the same thing. The Patriots wanted to trade into the top 10 and draft him.

tsiguy96
06-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't love what McDaniels has done with the drafts for obvious reasons, but I am willing to give Smith at least a few years to make a contribution... same has to go for Dorsey, even as fat and lazy as he appears to be currently

see, im the opposite. i love the drafts so far, but smith hasnt shown to be worth what turned out to be the #14 pick in the draft this year. i like that mcdaniels moves around to get who he wants, but i think he blew it on that one, even if smith turns out pretty good. well find out thtough.