Man-Goblin
06-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Love me some Tebow talk.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Hey!! You got Nepotism in my Tebowism.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-07-2010, 06:11 AM
More about Ben McDaniels than Tim Tebow, but that's okay. Decent, quick read.

Man-Goblin
06-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Ben McDaniels is just trying to win a mother****ing game.

lostknight
06-07-2010, 06:20 AM
The Josh/Ben thing still worries me. Josh McDaniel's has shown little penchant for delegating as it is, and having a unproven element like his brother there makes me nervous that real and valid criticism that needs to be made, won't be made because the person being criticized is McDaniel's brother.

This is not Mike Shanahan bringing on his son in Washington. Kyle already had experience with another coach, and earned his stripes. Is there anyone who is going to be willing to speak truth to powers, when it's the head coach, who already is prickly about being in complete control of the organization, little brother?

TheReverend
06-07-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm totally fine with Ben being the QB coach, but this is off:

"Going back to high school, people would talk about nepotism [about the brothers starting at quarterback under their father]. Well, we lost nine games in six years with us quarterbacking. Nepotism is for other people to talk about, but we learned a long time ago that's no part of our vocabulary."

HS football is simply not QB driven.

bowtown
06-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Another interesting tidbit from the same MMQB:

2. I think, and I'm not the only one who does, that the Patriots wanted to draft Tim Tebow late in the first round or early in the second. I'll always wonder what that would have done to Brady's long-term future in New England. Let me be clear about this -- as long as Brady performs at the highest level, the Patriots will stay with him. As long as he produces, the Patriots are not going to get rid of him. Even if they had picked Tebow, the Patriots wouldn't have -- in my opinion -- pulled a Bill Walsh and switched from Joe Montana to Steve Young (not saying Tebow will reach that level) when Montana still had some football left in him. But nothing in sports is forever.

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Ben McDaniels may very well be a good coach, but I don't buy this line:

"Five guys interviewed, and I told him he'd have an equal chance to get the job. He came in and clearly was the best candidate for the job. Period."

If his name would have been Ben Jackson and he would have had the same credentials and no family ties he would not have gotten the job....or even got a sniff of an interview.

TheReverend
06-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Another interesting tidbit from the same MMQB:

Everyone wanted him, but everyone else was a little too gun-shy to pull that trigger.

gyldenlove
06-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Everyone wanted him, but everyone else was a little too gun-shy to pull that trigger.

I think Tebow was a player that many teams who have stocked cupboards would have liked, he is clearly going to take quite a bit of coaching to get NFL ready, but he is a guy who could have a very high ceiling and because of his mentality and his coachability he is a guy who could probably take that coaching and that development time and actually put it to good use.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-07-2010, 06:55 AM

"Five guys interviewed, and I told him he'd have an equal chance to get the job. He came in and clearly was the best candidate for the job. Period."

If his name would have been Ben Jackson and he would have had the same credentials and no family ties he would not have gotten the job....or even got a sniff of an interview.

So all five who interviewed were also McDaniels Brothers? I don't really buy that.

Why is it so hard to believe that he was the best guy for the job? Because he is McDaniels' brother? Isn't that just reverse nepotism?

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2010, 07:00 AM
So all five who interviewed were also McDaniels Brothers? I don't really buy that.

Why is it so hard to believe that he was the best guy for the job? Because he is McDaniels' brother? Isn't that just reverse nepotism?

Of course he is going to be the best guy for the position in the eyes of Josh McDaniels....he was basically trained the same and has the same genetic make up.

I'm saying if another guy would have walked into his office with exact same high school credentials, he would have been told he was not qualified.

I'm not hoping he fails, we need him to be the right guy for the job.

The QB coach is going to be responsible for the development of our future franchise QB.

A short time ago he was tutoring 16 year old Johnny Stinkfinger on the nuances of high school football and now he's the one that our QBs are looking to for guidance and tutelage.

There's nothing wrong with questioning his credentials....it doesn't make you a hater. People ripped Shanny for nepotism as well....it's probably prevalent in all 32 franchises.

Jesterhole
06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
The more I find out about McDouche, the more I think he sucks. Giving your brother a NFL job because he once coached some kids in High School is pathetic. There is no way dude is a better choice that a professional coach with real NFL experience.

dbfan21
06-07-2010, 07:11 AM
With Ben being on staff, there is some risk involved due to his lack of NFL experience. The plus side is that he will take orders and direction from Josh without question. If the philosophy in Denver is a team-first, all-in mentality, then this fits in nicely.

no-pseudo-fan
06-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Who do you want for QB coach? John Elway?

He is a position coach. A coach that is only truly kinda responsible for 1 player on the field. That said, the OC helps coach the QB, and the Head Coach helps coach the QB. I think Ben's job is to be a puppet for his brother, and just keep drilling the stuff Josh says into the QB's.

Bronco Boy
06-07-2010, 07:28 AM
The more I find out about McDouche, the more I think he sucks. Giving your brother a NFL job because he once coached some kids in High School is pathetic. There is no way dude is a better choice that a professional coach with real NFL experience.

Experience and success are two different things.

Drek
06-07-2010, 07:34 AM

Why do you say that?

He's got better credentials than Jim Bates did when he got a similar job. Or Kyle Shanahan. Or current Tampa Bay HC Raheem Morris.

They all started out as quality control/assistants like McDaniels did last year and they all moved up to positional coach very shortly (generally one year) thereafter. Ben McDaniels actually played the position he coaches at a D1A level, was a graduate assistant after that, and coached at a lower level for a few years before getting his shot. He's got a better resume than any of those three had when they where given a shot. Two of them are now OCs in the league and the third is a HC.

Ray Finkle
06-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Who were the people he beat out of the job? You have no clue but make a blanket statement.....

BowlenBall
06-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey!! You got Nepotism in my Tebowism.

Well, your Tebowism is in my Nepotism....

Hey! Tastes pretty good!

lostknight
06-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Who do you want for QB coach? John Elway?

Jeremy Bates would have been nice.

Oh... Wait a minute.

Tombstone RJ
06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
If Ben is a good coach, and he truly knows the QB position (for Josh's scheme in the NFL) and he can communicate effectively then I have no problem with Ben being the QB coach. He's young like Josh, probably full of enthusiasm and fire, he's probably extremely motivated.

Nobody questioned Jimmy Johnson's coaching skills at the NFL level when he was hired by Jerra Jones. Nobody questioned his coaching staff. People did freak out when Herschel Walker was traded and the pokes went 1-15 and were at rock bottom. Then, something fantastic happened. The pokes drafted well, and kicked out almost all the malcontents on the team. Within a few years they were the powerhouse team in the NFL and very well could have won three straight SB championships if Jimma and Jerra could have gotten along. Point being, McD is kinda doing the same thing in Denver and he deserves at least 3 years to get the job done.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Jeremy Bates would have been nice.

Oh... Wait a minute.

Why would Jeremy Bates want to be a QB coach and...what exactly has Jeremy Bates done again?
Oh...wait a minute.

Jesus, who cares who our QB coach is, relax

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Why do you say that?

He's got better credentials than Jim Bates did when he got a similar job. Or Kyle Shanahan. Or current Tampa Bay HC Raheem Morris.

They all started out as quality control/assistants like McDaniels did last year and they all moved up to positional coach very shortly (generally one year) thereafter. Ben McDaniels actually played the position he coaches at a D1A level, was a graduate assistant after that, and coached at a lower level for a few years before getting his shot. He's got a better resume than any of those three had when they where given a shot. Two of them are now OCs in the league and the third is a HC.

I'm not sure about that....it looks like all of these guys (minus Ben McDaniels) spent multiple years as assistants/quality control guys before they were given a shot to be a position coach:

Ben McDaniels:

Before joining the Broncos, McDaniels spent three years coaching high school football in Ohio. He instructed quarterbacks at Massillon Jackson High School (Massillon, Ohio) in 2008 after a two-year stint coaching that position at Canton McKinley Senior High School (Canton, Ohio) from 2006-07.

He began his coaching career in 2003 as a wide receivers coach at Warren Harding High School (Warren, Ohio) before coaching as a graduate assistant at Minnesota for two years from 2004-05.

Ben McDaniels enters his second year with the Denver Broncos in 2010 and begins his first season as the club's quarterbacks coach after he was promoted to that position on Jan. 23, 2010. A former college and high school quarterback, McDaniels worked with the Broncos' offense as a coaching assistant during his first year with the team in 2009.

Kyle Shanahan:

Soon after he graduated from Texas in 2003, Shanahan became graduate assistant to Karl Dorrell at UCLA. Following that season, Shanahan was hired as assistant coach for offensive quality control under head coach Jon Gruden with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Gruden had held a similar position with the San Francisco 49ers in 1990, at about the same age that Shanahan had in 2004.

In 2006, Shanahan was hired by Gary Kubiak to serve as wide receivers coach for the Houston Texans. Kubiak had previously served as offensive coordinator under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos. At the time, Kyle Shanahan was the youngest position coach in the NFL. A season later, Shanahan received another promotion to become the Texans quarterback coach. In 2007, he had also been offered to become offensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota, where former Broncos assistant Tim Brewster just became head coach. Shanahan declined, citing his decision to be an NFL coach.[3]

In 2006, Shanahan was hired by Gary Kubiak to serve as wide receivers coach for the Houston Texans. Kubiak had previously served as offensive coordinator under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos. At the time, Kyle Shanahan was the youngest position coach in the NFL. A season later, Shanahan received another promotion to become the Texans quarterback coach. In 2007, he had also been offered to become offensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota, where former Broncos assistant Tim Brewster just became head coach. Shanahan declined, citing his decision to be an NFL coach.

Jeremy Bates

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an offensive quality control coach from 2002-03; the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in 2002. In 2004 he was promoted to assistant quarterbacks coach for the Buccaneers, working closely with Head Coach Jon Gruden and Quarterbacks Coach John Shoop.

He was the New York Jets' quarterbacks coach in 2005; due to a series of injuries the team fielded five different quarterbacks that season, notably Brooks Bollinger.[1]

He joined the Denver Broncos in 2006; in his first season he served as an offensive assistant, helping Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison coach the offensive line. In 2007 he served as wide receivers/quarterbacks coach, and in 2008 as quarterbacks coach, both seasons working closely with quarterback Jay Cutler. In 2008, Bates called the offensive plays for the Denver Broncos, helping Cutler become a Pro Bowl selection and the Broncos to have the NFL's second-most productive offense (1st in the AFC).

At the end of the 2008 NFL regular season, longtime head coach Mike Shanahan was fired and replaced by Josh McDaniels; due to the uncertainty, Bates began looking for a new position.

On January 19, 2009, USC Trojans' head coach Pete Carroll hired Bates to replace outgoing coach Carl Smith, who had only taken the quarterbacks job two weeks earlier before moving back to the NFL; Smith had replaced Steve Sarkisian, who had taken the head coaching position of the Washington Huskies after serving as both quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator; John Morton had been promoted to offensive coordinator. Bates calls plays from the field while Morton works from the coaches' booth in the press box, similar to a previous arrangement run by the Trojans during the 2005-2006 seasons between Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin, respectively.

On January 12, 2010, former USC Trojans' head coach Pete Carroll was introduced as the head coach and executive vice-president of the Seattle Seahawks. It was reported shortly after that Bates would join Carroll's staff as offensive coordinator.

Raheem Morris:

Morris graduated from Hofstra University with a degree in physical education in 1998 after playing safety at Hofstra from 1994-1997. That same year he began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at Hofstra University, where he was responsible for coaching the offensive scout team, developing scouting reports and handling video breakdown and computer input and analysis. In 1999, he was hired by Cornell University as their defensive backs coach and special teams assistant. After 1999, he went back to Hofstra to be defensive back coach. Also, in 2001, he spent time as a defensive minority intern with the New York Jets.

Before the 2002 season, he was hired by the Bucs to become their defensive quality control coach, where he helped them have the top-ranked defense and win the franchise’s first ever Super Bowl, beating the Oakland Raiders 48–21 in Super Bowl XXXVII. In 2003, he became a defensive assistant. From 2004–2005 he was the assistant defensive backs coach. After 2005 he went to Kansas State to be their defensive coordinator.

Morris spent one season with the Kansas State Wildcats in 2006, as defensive coordinator under then-head coach Ron Prince. He helped improve the defense in several statistical categories including total defense, scoring defense and pass defense. He helped the Wildcats upset the #4 Texas Longhorns during the 2006 season.

Before the 2007 season, Morris returned to the Buccaneers to be their defensive backs coach, replacing Greg Burns. After the teams pass defense fell to 19th in 2006, Morris helped the pass defense achieve the league’s top ranking in 2007.

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Ben McDaniels may very well end up being a stellar coach....and I hope he has a bright future.

But I'll argue the fact that you think the other three you mentioned had lesser pedigrees/resumes.

If his name was Ben Smith and he coached QBs in high school and would have emailed his resume to the Broncos in 2009, it would have ended up in the garbage.

How hard is it to admit he got the job because of his brother?

Tombstone RJ
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Ben McDaniels may very well end up being a stellar coach....and I hope he has a bright future.

But I'll argue the fact that you think the other three you mentioned had lesser pedigrees/resumes.

If his name was Ben Smith and he coached QBs in high school and would have emailed his resume to the Broncos in 2009, it would have ended up in the garbage.

QFT. Also, don't you think Ben knows exactly what Josh wants to hear in the "interview"? Yah, Ben was better than all the other guys because Ben knows exactly what McX want to hear...

It is what it is. Not saying it's a bad move, could very well be a great move. Sometimes having a family member close by can be a huge comfort for a stressed out coach. Ben will echo what his brother preaches and he probably knows what his brother wants better than anyone else. Again, it will come down to his ability to coach the position. He can either do it or he can't. At the NFL level, there's really no in-between. Jim Zorn is a great QB coach and it landed him a head coaching job. If Ben is as good as Jim at coaching up NFL QBs, his past won't matter...

Paladin
06-07-2010, 09:05 AM
What difference does it make?

Tombstone RJ
06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
What difference does it make?

Seriously?

Drek
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM

Your accounting of their resumes is not accurate.

Ben McDaniels played D1A QB, followed by two years as a graduate assistant at Minnesota, followed by three years of active coaching in high school, and one year as an NFL level assistant.

So he played the position he now coaches, spent two years assisting at the collegiate level, three actually coaching (albeit at the high school level) and one as an NFL assistant before becoming a positional coach.

Jeremy Bates played D1A QB, had three years as an assistant at the NFL level, and was then a positional coach on his own with the Jets. No grad school that I can find on his record, no lower tier stop either. Just assistant for three years and then given the reigns.

Kyle Shanahan played D1A WR, spent one year as a graduate assistant, two as an NFL level assistant, and then was the WR coach for the Texans.

Raheem Morris is the one with the best resume, but his time frame from college to assistant DB coach was a pretty short one as well. He just made his bones coaching at the collegiate level before coming back to the pros. Other than him Ben McDaniels' resume stacks up quite well against the other two, with more time as a professional football man and more experience at different tiers in different roles than either. They both matured quite well as coordinators.

Further, unlike Bates who was a QB coach on his own in 2005 or Shanahan who coached WRs on his own in 2006, Ben McDaniels is filling a newly created position for the 2010 Denver Broncos. In 2009 we didn't have a specific QB coach, we had McCoy pulling double duty. Its highly unlikely that he will even have the full responsibilities of a QB coach in 2010. Instead he'll be a glorified assistant who is effectively Josh McDaniels' right hand man.

Lets face it though. Two of the three guys I compared him with come from football families. They both got opportunities because of their last name. Whether Ben McDaniels last name got his application on Josh's table or not is irrelevant, because that is the nature of the NFL and the last name McDaniels would do the same (get him a look and probably a call back) at pretty much any college, or NFL club out there, thanks to their father. It happened to be here in Denver, where our HC wanted to add another layer to the QB coaching staff, that he got hired. It is no more a sign of nepotism than what you see throughout any coaching staff in the entire league where the sons of former coordinators, GMs, and HCs get preferential treatment all the time.

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Your accounting of their resumes is not accurate.

I pulled Ben's right off the Broncos site....the others are basically right in line with what you regurgitated. I didn't include their experience as players though....only coaching experience and everything I posted was accurate.

I've already agreed that nepotism is probably prevalent with all 32 teams in the NFL.

It's not worth arguing about....I'm hoping promoting Ben McDaniels turns out to be the right choice.

yerner
06-07-2010, 10:17 AM
this is how the profession of football works. plain and simple.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
There was a big stir about Schottenheimer wanting to hire his son as the OC in San Diego, if I remember correctly, and it's one of the reasons he's no longer there.

Last I checked, Brian Schottenheimer was running a pretty good offense -- and running the Chargers out of the playoffs -- with the New York Jets.

worm
06-07-2010, 10:38 AM
It doesn't matter at all....as long as the Broncos are improving and Tebow begins to blossom.

If things go South for Timmy and the Broncos, the decision to hire Ben to tutor and work with the single most important Broncos draft asset in recent memory will certainly be a straw on the camels back.

Kaylore
06-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Jerry Jones said he wasn't on their board.

TheReverend
06-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Jerry Jones said he wasn't on their board.

He's dead sober too:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixSxPdY9Saw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixSxPdY9Saw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

boltaneer
06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
There was a big stir about Schottenheimer wanting to hire his son as the OC in San Diego, if I remember correctly, and it's one of the reasons he's no longer there.

Last I checked, Brian Schottenheimer was running a pretty good offense -- and running the Chargers out of the playoffs -- with the New York Jets.

Actually, it was Marty wanting to hire his Brother to be defensive coordinator.

Brian has turned out to be a pretty decent OC but he didn't appear to be a good quarterbacks coach here in San Diego. Brees actually sought coaching elsewhere in the off season.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons Brees was slow to develop was because of Marty Jr.

As for McDaniels nepotism, I think this one is going to bite him in the ass, hard.

Florida_Bronco
06-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Brian Callahan.

boppool
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM
ben mcdaniels may very well end up being a stellar coach....and i hope he has a bright future.

But i'll argue the fact that you think the other three you mentioned had lesser pedigrees/resumes.

If his name was ben smith and he coached qbs in high school and would have emailed his resume to the broncos in 2009, it would have ended up in the garbage.

this!

OABB
06-08-2010, 04:26 AM

This is how the whole ****ing world works. I don't get the uproar. The bush family, royalty, family businesses, cop families, the local corner store clerk and his son, Hollywood(OMG WILL SMITHS KID GOT THE PART IN KARATE KID ZOMG!!!!!! )the history of the whole world, etc. Etc. Etc. God people will b**** about anything.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-08-2010, 04:49 AM
This is how the whole ****ing world works. I don't get the uproar. The bush family, royalty, family businesses, cop families, the local corner store clerk and his son, Hollywood(OMG WILL SMITHS KID GOT THE PART IN KARATE KID ZOMG!!!!!! )the history of the whole world, etc. Etc. Etc. God people will b**** about anything.

Is this the thread where I complain about the mudpeople taking over my shiatty action movie sequels?

BroncoBuff
06-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Josh McDaniels bristled when I asked about nepotism. "Last year, I asked Ben to come in for an interview for the offensive assistant job,'' he said. "Five guys interviewed, and I told him he'd have an equal chance to get the job. He came in and clearly was the best candidate for the job.

:~ohyah!:

Get real, this is nepostism. I have no problem with us hiring Ben, but if he really was the best candidate for the job, then they didn't bring in the right candidates.

Drek
06-08-2010, 05:42 AM
:~ohyah!:

Get real, this is nepostism. I have no problem with us hiring Ben, but if he really was the best candidate for the job, then they didn't bring in the right candidates.

Who where better candidates then?

Keep in mind that the person needs to be ok with taking a glorified assistant position, since we didn't even have a QB coach last year. Both McDaniels and McCoy will be heavily involved in QB development, so the "QB coach" will basically just execute what those two tell him to do.

footstepsfrom#27
06-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Who where better candidates then?

Keep in mind that the person needs to be ok with taking a glorified assistant position, since we didn't even have a QB coach last year. Both McDaniels and McCoy will be heavily involved in QB development, so the "QB coach" will basically just execute what those two tell him to do.
Kid brothers usually make great gophers and whatnot, so seen from that angle I think the choice is the right one since it's obvious McD isn't about to trust his prize pupil to anyone else anyway. Ben will probably make coffee while he runs over game film with Tebow.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 08:22 AM
He's dead sober too:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixSxPdY9Saw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ixSxPdY9Saw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I can hear what Jerra is saying about Tebow, but what is he saying about Parcells? How do the two relate?

OABB
06-08-2010, 08:27 AM
He's saying he hired parcels to sale jerseys and to prove that he didn't need a yes man. Pretty candid and awesome. I think bowlen and jones need a reality show together.

Rabb
06-08-2010, 08:44 AM

this is even how a lot of professions work

I was an Avionics Tech in the Navy and was hired by the Telecommunications company that my folks worked for...they basically got me a job that someone off the street with no Telecom experience couldn't get

I don't see the difference, or problem

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
He's saying he hired parcels to sale jerseys and to prove that he didn't need a yes man. Pretty candid and awesome. I think bowlen and jones need a reality show together.

Bowlen can drink Jones under the table... Obviously Jones can't keep his trap shut when he's had a few, Pat on the other hand, keeps his mouth shut no matter how much whiskey he's slammed...

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
This is the year the Cowpokes should compete for a Lombardi... Obviously, Jones is feeling it...

Gob
06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Personally, I think its a little silly to think that Ben would likely even have the opportunity to interview if he was a stranger and not Josh's brother. That fits the definition of nepotism, so it is pretty clear cut to me. Just the same, even though he was a beneficiary of nepotism, he could also be the best fit for the job (despite probably not being the most proven or having the best resume) because Josh knows what he is getting and knows he can communicate with Ben and trust him, which may be more then he could say for more qualified applicants.

watermock
06-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Nope.

Not going.

oubronco
06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
This is the year the Cowpokes should compete for a Lombardi... Obviously, Jones is feeling it...

They've been saying that for the last decade

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Nope.

Not going.

Bueller?

watermock
06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Personally, I think its a little silly to think that Ben would likely even have the opportunity to interview if he was a stranger and not Josh's brother. That fits the definition of nepotism, so it is pretty clear cut to me. Just the same, even though he was a beneficiary of nepotism, he could also be the best fit for the job (despite probably not being the most proven or having the best resume) because Josh knows what he is getting and knows he can communicate with Ben and trust him, which may be more then he could say for more qualified applicants.

wow.

just wow.

because Josh knows what he is getting and knows he can communicate with Ben and trust him, which may be more then he could say for more qualified applicants

Jesus Christ!

This is sad.

watermock
06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I think Joshie is over his head and needs big brother to enforce.

God, it's so fail.

Buy a vowel.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
They've been saying that for the last decade

Yep, no doubt about that. However, at some point and time things just start going your way and this may be that time for the pokes. You can't ague their talent, they are loaded and Wade is still the HC which translates to some stability. I'd hate to see the pokes win it all because their fanbase is a bunch of front running morons...

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I think Joshie is over his head and needs big brother to enforce.

God, it's so fail.

Buy a vowel.

Ben McDaniels born June 6th 1980

Josh McDaniels born April 21, 1976

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 09:30 AM

Maybe he's referring to physical size since Josh is half-way to being a midget?

Beantown Bronco
06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Yep, no doubt about that. However, at some point and time things just start going your way and this may be that time for the pokes. You can't ague their talent, they are loaded and Wade is still the HC which translates to some stability. I'd hate to see the pokes win it all because their fanbase is a bunch of front running morons...

I can. I think the majority of the current "talent" on their roster is either aging poorly or is extremely overrated.

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM

The average height for an adult male in the United States is 69.2 inches, or 5 feet 9.2 inches.

Josh McDaniels is 32 years old, stands 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 160 pounds.

And please approve any replies to me via Flex Gunmetal and McRabb.

Beantown Bronco
06-08-2010, 09:39 AM
The average height for an adult male in the United States is 69.2 inches, or 5 feet 9.2 inches.

Josh McDaniels is 32 years old, stands 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 160 pounds.

Not to nit-pick, but he's 34 and if Josh really is 5 ft 10 (or even 5 ft 9), you can tell just by looking at him that there is zero chance he weighs 160 lbs.

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Not to nit-pick, but he's 34 and if Josh really is 5 ft 10 (or even 5 ft 9), you can tell just by looking at him that there is zero chance he weighs 160 lbs.

Touche, 2 years ago that was his weight. His height I can guarantee you has not changed... ;)

gyldenlove
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Ben Mcdaniels is going places, 1980 was a very good year.

gyldenlove
06-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Touche, 2 years ago that was his weight. His height I can guarantee you has not changed... ;)

I wouldn't be too sure about that, rumors have it that during a drunken incident last year he attempted to power slam Ryan Clady which caused significant compression of his spine and good laughs.

bronco militia
06-08-2010, 10:12 AM

he's not a midget... he's Fun Size

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM

NFL always inflates stats by 2+ inches and 20+ lbs. You can tell by checking the combine numbers and josh measured out at 5'3 135

Drek
06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
NFL always inflates stats by 2+ inches and 20+ lbs. You can tell by checking the combine numbers and josh measured out at 5'3 135

He's got a 5'5" wingspan though, so he makes up for it.

Rabb
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM

I am humbled

Inkana7
06-08-2010, 11:12 AM

160lbs isnt that much at all, dude. I weigh 155 and I look tiny.

Beantown Bronco
06-08-2010, 11:39 AM
160lbs isnt that much at all, dude. I weigh 155 and I look tiny.

I'm saying he weighs significantly more than 160 in real life.

Inkana7
06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm saying he weighs significantly more than 160 in real life.

Oh, I thought you were saying he weighed less. My mistake.

oubronco
06-08-2010, 11:41 AM

I'd love to see them get to the superbowl and get ass raped 55-10

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I seriously doubt Josh is 5'10" tall... a buck sixty I believe, but not 5'10".

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I seriously doubt Josh is 5'10" tall... a buck sixty I believe, but not 5'10".

Culprit found

A picture of one of his legs when he was measured:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31OYEX5EmNL._AA300_.jpg

Kaylore
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Well regardless, I find the idea that he was hired as McDaniels' enforcer hilarious. He probably got the interview because of nepotism, but I think his brother is probably the most qualified candidate considering the number of teams that use this system can be counted on one hand.

Dagmar
06-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Well regardless, I find the idea that he was hired as McDaniels' enforcer hilarious. He probably got the interview because of nepotism, but I think his brother is probably the most qualified candidate considering the number of teams that use this system can be counted on one hand.

In all honesty I think the strange turn the thread took shows how little anyone believes the accusation. It's just silly.

TheReverend
06-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Josh has made an extremely high volume of bold moves. If Ben is a god awful coach, it will reflect on the field, but it will reflect on Josh, along with the rest of the decisions. This is just insignificant in comparison to some other changes the past 16 months.

Kaylore
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Bump for those who haven't read this awesome piece by King.

Los Broncos
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
My GF got me a subscription to SI for fathers day, what a good piece.

Sounds like Orton has everything pretty much down, it said he is the smartest out of the three.

Tebow is working hard for sure, 150 balls thrown with a towel under his right arm keeps him from over rotating.

He arm is wrapped in 6 bags of ice after.

Tim says he knows he going to get it down, after reading this I really hope he turns out to be great, I am really pulling for the kid.