PDA

View Full Version : HEMP and cleaning up oil in the gulf coast

newsanchor
06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
A friend of mine told me that HEMP is a great way to clean up all the nasty a$$ oil, which has polluted the waters of the Gulf Coast, including Alabama and Louisiana.

I can picture it now: the absorbing fibers and power of hemp, just like a sponge, can pick up the oil, and make the water safe to swim in and fish again.

The only questions remain:
1) are there websites I can go to, so I can find out more about the power of hemp to clean up oil spills?
2) Are there scientists I can go to to talk about Hemp's power?

STBumpkin
06-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Hemp does a lot of stuff, but it isn't the best thing for anything.

sisterhellfyre
06-06-2010, 09:01 PM
A friend of mine told me that HEMP is a great way to clean up all the nasty a$$ oil, which has polluted the waters of the Gulf Coast, including Alabama and Louisiana.

Sorry, dude, it'll never happen. The federal drug regulations as currently written don't distinguish between industrial hemp and recreational marijuana. They look similar, and they're both forms of cannabis sativa, but the differences in growing conditions compares to the difference between growing corn or roses. Hemp has virtually no THC content, so you'd probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning before getting high from it. It's oh so useful, tho, for so many other things.

Too bad the government (at all levels) has so much invested in the War On Drugs.

broncosteven
06-06-2010, 09:05 PM

I can picture it now: the absorbing fibers and power of hemp, just like a sponge, can pick up the oil, and make the water safe to swim in and fish again.

The only questions remain:
1) are there websites I can go to, so I can find out more about the power of hemp to clean up oil spills?
2) Are there scientists I can go to to talk about Hemp's power?

I would write a letter to Woody Harrelson, if he doesn't use it to roll a J he might reply. Or he might reply then roll a J, or he might just use his bong.

newsanchor
06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Sorry, dude, it'll never happen. The federal drug regulations as currently written don't distinguish between industrial hemp and recreational marijuana. They look similar, and they're both forms of cannabis sativa, but the differences in growing conditions compares to the difference between growing corn or roses. Hemp has virtually no THC content, so you'd probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning before getting high from it. It's oh so useful, tho, for so many other things.

Too bad the government (at all levels) has so much invested in the War On Drugs.

So what are you saying, even if we did use the hemp for cleaning up the oil spill, we would get carbon monoxide poisioning if we swam in the waters in Louisiana and Alabama?

Mogulseeker
06-06-2010, 09:41 PM

There are more types of weed than cannabis sativa.

For example, I hear that cannabis sativa is the fun high and cannabis indica is the mind high. Just what I've heard though.

Blart
06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
we should like, totally legalize weed. totally

Popps
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.lwwdc.org/Spicoli3.jpg

Archer81
06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
...So who cleans up the oil hemp?

:Broncos:

STBumpkin
06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
...So who cleans up the oil hemp?

Don't oil and hemp both burn?

Archer81
06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Don't oil and hemp both burn?

We had that option a month ago.

Taco John
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I thought James Cameron and Kevin Costner already fixed this thing.

sisterhellfyre
06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
So what are you saying, even if we did use the hemp for cleaning up the oil spill, we would get carbon monoxide poisioning if we swam in the waters in Louisiana and Alabama?

Never mind. Idiot.

ColoradoDarin
06-07-2010, 06:05 AM
This is just like those guys in the hay video. It's easy to do when it's a bowl of water, not so easy when it's MILLIONS of gallons in an ocean. You don't need to be a scientist, just someone with a little bit of common sense....

1. Where do you get enough hemp to absorb millions of gallons of oil?
2. How to you transport it over land/sea?
3. How do you go about scooping up all that hemp and million gallons of oil?
4. What do you do with it after that?

There are plenty of things to use as an oil absorbent, that's not the problem. (You don't thing BP engineers thought of it?) The problem is the logistics of the oil pouring out more than a mile deep in the water and the amount of oil.

Dedhed
06-07-2010, 06:36 AM
This is just like those guys in the hay video. It's easy to do when it's a bowl of water, not so easy when it's MILLIONS of gallons in an ocean. You don't need to be a scientist, just someone with a little bit of common sense....

1. Where do you get enough hemp to absorb millions of gallons of oil?
2. How to you transport it over land/sea?
3. How do you go about scooping up all that hemp and million gallons of oil?
4. What do you do with it after that?

There are plenty of things to use as an oil absorbent, that's not the problem. (You don't thing BP engineers thought of it?) The problem is the logistics of the oil pouring out more than a mile deep in the water and the amount of oil.
Other than #1, you have to answer all those questions for any cleanup effort.

As to #1, hemp grows extremely quickly, and given the length of time this cleanup is going to take, there is more than enough time to grow huge quantities of industrial hemp.