PDA

View Full Version : Who are you rooting for in the Broncos' QB derby?

montrose
06-06-2010, 09:24 AM
In spirit of today's article by Woody - http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15236442 - Who do you WANT to win the Broncos starting QB job in training camp/preseason and why?

FADERPROOF
06-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Tom Brandstater...oh wait...

broncogary
06-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Shouldn't this be a poll, in the baja tradition?

Paladin
06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Orton because I want the Broncos to win......

montrose
06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Shouldn't this be a poll, in the baja tradition?

Took me a second to get it posted.

montrose
06-06-2010, 09:29 AM

This. If Quinn or Tebow are early-bloomers and give us the best chance to win, I'm all for it. I hope all three guys are great and I think that in time, Tebow will be the guy. But right now I just think Orton gives us the best shot to win, I've always liked the guy and I'd get a kick out of listening to the locals complain about the guy every day because he's "boring".

HAT
06-06-2010, 09:30 AM

This. +1. ^^^. QFT.....And all that stuff.

Jason in LA
06-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Well I have no faith in Orton leading the Broncos anywhere. I don't see them winning much with him. That doesn't mean they'll be a 4 win team with him, I just don't see him taking the team anywhere.

Tebow isn't ready. I don't know if he'll ever be ready, but I know it's not now. Rolling him out there this season would be a mistake.

So that leaves Quinn, who has a huge question mark on him. Maybe the guy really does suck, or maybe he just needed to get out of Cleveland because they really suck. I'm going with him because I already know Orton is going to suck, Tebow just isn't ready, so why not give Quinn a shot? If he fails, well, it couldn't be any worse than Orton. But if he succeeds and lives up to his first round potential, then the Broncos could really do something this year.

Paladin
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Well I have no faith in Orton leading the Broncos anywhere. I don't see them winning much with him. That doesn't mean they'll be a 4 win team with him, I just don't see him taking the team anywhere.

Tebow isn't ready. I don't know if he'll ever be ready, but I know it's not now. Rolling him out there this season would be a mistake.

So that leaves Quinn, who has a huge question mark on him. Maybe the guy really does suck, or maybe he just needed to get out of Cleveland because they really suck. I'm going with him because I already know Orton is going to suck, Tebow just isn't ready, so why not give Quinn a shot? If he fails, well, it couldn't be any worse than Orton. But if he succeeds and lives up to his first round potential, then the Broncos could really do something this year.

You just talked yourself out of Tebow and Quinn, yet you cannot allow yourself to understand that Orton can win NOW. Wow! Hilarious!

bombquixote
06-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Quinn, because his upside is far greater than Orton's, and he has the experience to win from the get go. Theoretically.

montrose
06-06-2010, 09:41 AM
If he fails, well, it couldn't be any worse than Orton.

I disagree with this Jason. Now if you're grading by anything than a Super Bowl is failure, than I would agree with you because I don't think Orton has the ability to win it all unless all the right pieces are around him which right now they're not. However, if you're thinking Quinn couldn't be worse than 3800 yards, 21 TDs-to-12 INTs and a 62% completition percentage going 8-6 in games he played all the way through - than I do disagree. Quinn's career numbers and W-L record show he has the ability to suck way worse than Orton.

Jason in LA
06-06-2010, 09:43 AM
You just talked yourself out of Tebow and Quinn, yet you cannot allow yourself to understand that Orton can win NOW. Wow! Hilarious!

Sorry man, I just have a different opinion. I don't think Orton will lead the Broncos to be anymore than an 8 win team. To me that's not winning. The offense did a whole lot of nothing last year. The defense played great for about half the year, and they won half their games. When the defense fell flat where was Orton? Really thinking about it, when the defense played great where was Orton? He's a "not going to get in the way of a win" QB. So when the D showed up, Orton didn't screw things up. But when the D played bad, where was Orton to lead them to a victory? You can't expect the D to play great every week. A QB has to do more than what Orton did last year.

Jason in LA
06-06-2010, 09:48 AM
I disagree with this Jason. Now if you're grading by anything than a Super Bowl is failure, than I would agree with you because I don't think Orton has the ability to win it all unless all the right pieces are around him which right now they're not. However, if you're thinking Quinn couldn't be worse than 3800 yards, 21 TDs-to-12 INTs and a 62% completition percentage going 8-6 in games he played all the way through - than I do disagree. Quinn's career numbers and W-L record show he has the ability to suck way worse than Orton.

I'm willing to give Quinn a chance because he played for the Browns. That team sucked ass really bad. So the question is, did Quinn suck, or was he pulled down because of a horrible team? Or maybe both are true. But at this point I don't think that it is clear that it was Quinn's fault.

I just don't see the point in sticking with Orton. He isn't the QB of the future, and I don't see him leading the Broncos to the playoffs, so what's the point in continuing with the guy?

Now, if Orton clearly is the best QB coming out of training camp, then I say go with him. The Broncos shouldn't change just for the sake of change. I'm rooting for Quinn to reach the potential that he had coming out of college. If he can do that then he'll be a lot better than Orton. If he doesn't show that in training camp, then, ugh, another year with Orton. So I'm really rooting for Quinn to step up his game.

gyldenlove
06-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Orton, I like a dude who can drink his bodyweight in bourbon.

bronco610
06-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Orton is in his second year of the system. That alone makes him the better choice this year. However with clady screwing up his nee and a rookie or two on the OL as well as the recieving core this year I am a little worried about our chances for success.
The way I see it is Orton will be the man with Tebow coming in for the wild horses package. If we have any running game at all this year and the defense lives up to hype then we are somewhere between 9-7,to 11-5.

montrose
06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm willing to give Quinn a chance because he played for the Browns. That team sucked ass really bad. So the question is, did Quinn suck, or was he pulled down because of a horrible team? Or maybe both are true. But at this point I don't think that it is clear that it was Quinn's fault.

I totally agree with this and I'm excited to see how Quinn does.

I just don't see the point in sticking with Orton. He isn't the QB of the future, and I don't see him leading the Broncos to the playoffs, so what's the point in continuing with the guy?

I see the point in this because, barring a Brees-like improvement, Orton will be gone. With that, and you said it later in your post, change-for-changesake isn't always good. I think it sends a bad message to guys like Champ, Dawk, Jamal, etc. if we put Quinn or Tebow in if they haven't clearly outplayed Orton in practices and preseason. So I guess the point in continuing with the guy is that if he gives you the best chance to win, you've got to play him.

Now, if Orton clearly is the best QB coming out of training camp, then I say go with him. The Broncos shouldn't change just for the sake of change. I'm rooting for Quinn to reach the potential that he had coming out of college. If he can do that then he'll be a lot better than Orton. If he doesn't show that in training camp, then, ugh, another year with Orton. So I'm really rooting for Quinn to step up his game.

That's a great answer to the poll question, and I bet a lot of Broncos fans share your sentiment. I just disagreed with the notion that Quinn couldn't be worse than Orton because a) I think Orton played much better than he's given credit for; and b) Quinn is as much of an unknown right now as Tebow. I'm rooting for Orton because I think he can be better than he was last year (which was pretty decent in my eyes) and help the team make the playoffs. I don't have confidence, right now, that Quinn or Tebow could do that. For me personally, the most important thing for this franchise is to build momentum for the organization's greatest asset which is (IMO) Josh McDaniels - who I truly believe will one day become the greatest coach in team history. For that to happen, the team needs to take the next step and make the playoffs - I believe Orton gives us the best chance to do that right now. So that's the main reason I'm rooting for him.

Pick Six
06-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Several things occurred the second half of the season. The defense regressed, Orton had a finger injury, and Harris was hurt. I absolutely have faith in Orton to lead us, this year.

Jason in LA
06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
It will be interesting to see how each camp reacts when the winner of the job is declared. Lets say Quinn gets the job based on being the best QB in training camp, will the Orton camp be screaming that it's a mistake and hoping that Orton gets the job at some point? If Orton wins the job, will the Quinn crowd be calling for the back up as soon as Orton struggles.

I really want the best QB to get the job (I am hoping that's Quinn for reasons stated in earlier posts). If Quinn can't beat out Orton, then I've pretty much lost all hope in the guy. I'll be counting the days until the Tebow era begins and hope that he can prove everybody wrong.

It just kind of seems like a lot of folks want their guy to get the job regardless of who is actually the better player coming out of training camp. The way I see it the best QB in camp gives the team the best chance to win.

DarkHorse
06-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Just start the Tebow era already. I've seen what Orton brings, not all bad but I can already see myself bitching about the same stuff this coming year.

Quinn? Eh, whatever. Was kinda a fan favorite around these parts but I would just rather start the Tebow show.

Honestly doesn't matter if we go winless, i'll still be here, still pay for my NFL Ticket and still root for the team. I just want to see some stability with them for Christs sake.

Man-Goblin
06-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Orton as a transitional QB playing for a starting job and big-time contract next year is a pretty damn good option.

peacepipe
06-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm rooting for our defense. I don't have much faith in any of the QBs on the roster.

Drek
06-06-2010, 11:27 AM
The offense did a whole lot of nothing last year.
You make it sound like they where a bottom feeder O. In reality they where middle of the pack. Nothing special but they weren't horrible either. That wasn't all on Orton either. The team had made a big change in offensive philosophy and the OL fell apart before our eyes.

Its easier to correlate the downfall of the 2009 Denver Broncos with the loss of Ryan Harris than any other single event in the season.

When the defense fell flat where was Orton?
Hobbling around on a busted up ankle?

You can't expect the D to play great every week.
You also generally can't win every week. When a previously strong unit stops winning its match-ups your gameplan goes out the window. When that happens you tend to lose football games.

A QB has to do more than what Orton did last year.
Absolutely. But who is more likely to do that in 2010? The guy who's coming back for a second season in the offense, a guy we picked up for late round picks, or a rookie with a lot of mechanical changes in progress?

I think its very possible Quinn could step onto the field come opening day and give us a moderate improvement over what Orton did last year. But Orton could give us significant improvement thanks to the extra time and game experience in the offense.

My opinion is that we roll with Orton to start. Quinn will get his chance. Orton hasn't been able to stay healthy for a couple years in a row now. I think his ankle is shot and its only a matter of time before it ends his career. But out of the gate Orton gives us the best chance to win week one, and at the same time gives Quinn more time to get comfortable for the inevitable injury replacement opportunity.

Tebow meanwhile should only be viewed as an additional weapon for 2010, used out of a wildcat/spread option style specialty package in which he can get a feel for game speed and give us a change-up to throw at defenses, especially in the red zone. The only way he should even be considered for the starting job is if everyone else gets hurt or after a few weeks in his specialized role he is lighting everyone up.

Popps
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
No Hillis option?

HEAV
06-06-2010, 11:31 AM
It's Kyle's gig in 2010.

broncosteven
06-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I think Orton is just a stopgap and he either knows it or it will motivate him to put up Montana like numbers and wins.

Since the above is not likely I would rather see what Quinn has and work Tebow in out of the wild horse formation and have him pass out of that to see what he has. If he is ready just give him the job keep Quinn on as a BU and jettison Orton.

I am guessing that at somepoint Tebow sticking his nose into Ortons huddle and game prep will get old. Everyone accepts a challange but when you know your teaching your replacement your job your not as comfortable as when you "were" the guy.

Los Broncos
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Orton gives us the best chance to win right away.

But it would be nice to see what Quinn can do if he's ready.

Much more mobile than Orton and I wouldn't be bitching about him moving his feet.

Kaylore
06-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm rooting for all of them. I want them push each other so that the best guy takes the field on Sunday. Since I had to pick one, I picked Tebow since he's the underdog.

TheReverend
06-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm rooting for all of them. I want them push each other so that the best guy takes the field on Sunday. Since I had to pick one, I picked Tebow since he's the underdog.

The Mile High Messiah laughs at your assumption.

:tebow:

gunns
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Whichever one gives us the best chance to win. And no one knows who that is yet.

NYBronco
06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm on the Orton bandwagon and hope to see improvement in his second year. Last year he played well all things considered (Orton's injuries, new offensive system, poor Oline play, attitude problems within the "team").
I also have faith that if a backup QB is needed the Broncos are in a better position this year to compete.

listopencil
06-06-2010, 01:03 PM

This.

listopencil
06-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Its easier to correlate the downfall of the 2009 Denver Broncos with the loss of Ryan Harris than any other single event in the season.

I agree with everything you said, but this is perhaps the most important point in your entire post.

Jason in LA
06-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Whichever one gives us the best chance to win. And no one knows who that is yet.

I totally agree. I'd say that even though Orton is No. 1 on the depth chart right now, the job is pretty much up for grabs and the best man will win it. I'm hoping that's Quinn, but if he can't show that he's better than Orton in training camp then I don't want him as the starter.

McD didn't bring Quinn in just to ride the bench. He's probably hoping that Quinn out performs Orton in camp. And if the trade rumors turn out to be true, then McD might already be liking Quinn more than Orton based on mini camps.

We'll have to wait and see.

Br0nc0Buster
06-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Well the best qb will start, and that will most likely be Orton
but because the best player will start then I guess I am rooting Tebow to start

that will of meant he outperformed Orton and Quinn, and earned his spot

elsid13
06-06-2010, 01:50 PM
If we struggle early, I say go all in with Tebow. We might at least see if he has it to be NFL QB.

gunns
06-06-2010, 02:17 PM
If we struggle early, I say go all in with Tebow. We might at least see if he has it to be NFL QB.

I totally agree.

footstepsfrom#27
06-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't know where you came up with that since Quinn's record at this point is so spotted with circumstances ranging from injury to the schitzoid Brown coaching staff that it's virtually impossible to tell what he really is. Only one thing is clear...he has more talent than Orton. Comparing Orton's QB system friendly numbers in McD's dink and dunk with Quinns is meaningless...let's see what Quinn looks like competing in the same system as Orton. That's the only way we know anything about this guy. For now I want Quinn... by 2011 I think Tebow is out there.

colonelbeef
06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Quinn, just because we don't really know what he is yet, and he is a better athlete than Orton is.

Tebow if this thread is for 2011

Mogulseeker
06-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Right now: Orton.

For the future: Tebow.

FireFly
06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm rooting for Quinn, because I honestly have more faith in him long term than I even do Tebow. Quinn isn't old enough to give up on, had great potential coming out of college and could be an x factor for the team.

It's not a popular opinion, but I don't have faith in any of our 3 QB's long term. Orton is a stop gap, Quinn has shown nothing in the NFL and Tebow... well I'm not sure he's going to make it in the NFL.

I believe Orton will probably be our best QB this season. I'm HOPING that it's Quinn, I'm assuming that it won't be Tebow. If Quinn doesn't start this year, he never does barring injury imo.

If Quinn does start, it probably means that he's living up to some of his college potential - which was massive. If Orton starts, we win more games this year, but it also means Quinn probably isn't the answer. Tebow remains an unknown with a huge downside - and I would venture a lower ceiling than Quinn.

montrose
06-06-2010, 06:40 PM
The Mile High Messiah laughs at your assumption.

Please tell me you copyrighted that, Mile High Messiah could be huge!

I don't know where you came up with that since Quinn's record at this point is so spotted with circumstances ranging from injury to the schitzoid Brown coaching staff that it's virtually impossible to tell what he really is. Only one thing is clear...he has more talent than Orton. Comparing Orton's QB system friendly numbers in McD's dink and dunk with Quinns is meaningless...let's see what Quinn looks like competing in the same system as Orton. That's the only way we know anything about this guy. For now I want Quinn... by 2011 I think Tebow is out there.

My point was in regards to Jason's comment that Quinn couldn't possibly be worse than Orton. Now I agree with everything you've said about Quinn's crappy situation and I too am hoping he can realize his potential here in Denver. But as Chris Simms showed us last year, there can be FARRRRRR worse QB play than the Broncos got from Kyle Orton last season. Considering his year with a crappy OL, a ton of off-field distractions, an injured index finger on his throwing hand (the most important one) and a bum ankle - all in his 1st season of his very complex offense - I'd say Orton has overcome adversity too. Is Orton a stud QB? No, but at this point we know he isn't garbage. Quinn (and Tebow for that matter) could be studs, but they could also be garbage - we just don't know yet.

Rock Chalk
06-06-2010, 06:56 PM

But Orton just put up numbers in Chicago that even Cutler had trouble reproducing with actually better talent around him. Chicago offensively is not much better than Cleveland other than the QB and you could argue that they have a better WR in Cleveland than Chicago did (at the time, Edwards was still there).

My point is, Quinn sucks, Orton, while boring, has won with little talent around him. Sure he had a great defense in chicago that helped but his numbers were always respectable in games he started and played all the way through in. Quinns were only respectable in games where he played against Slowik's defenses.

You may be right, but on that same token, there isn't a QB on the roster that is the QB of the future.

Im glad you say go with the best QB out of camp. God knows half the morons here would rather take Cutler over Plummer even though Plummer won games and Cutler choked them away.

GoBroncos84
06-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I just want the guy who gives us the best chance to win week in and week out. Whoever can do that should have the job. Orton gives us the best chance right now, but he is a very limited player in my opinion and I don't know how far we can go with him. If Quinn is a quick study and can learn the system, his tools are better than Orton. So, be realistic, I guess I would say I am "rooting" for Quinn if he can beat out Orton. Ultimately, this should be Tim Tebow's team at some point. He is the QB on the roster that I am the most excited about. So if he can somehow learn enough to be the best of the three this season, I'd love it. But that is more of a pipe dream because he undoubtedly has the most to learn and change.

So I predict Orton will be the starter, and as of right now should be. I hope Quinn can develop quickly enough to take his spot. I wish Tebow was NFL ready and able to take over this offense from day 1. I'll be satisfied with whoever leads us to victories

SouthStndJunkie
06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I want to see Brady Quinn win the starting job.

I know what Kyle Orton can do as our starting QB and I see his limitations. I have no doubt he can lead us to an 8-8 or 9-7 season, with the inability to carry the team deep into the playoffs when he is called upon to do so.

If Brady Quinn wins the job, it will be because he deserves it and looks better than Kyle Orton. I want to see what he can do in this offense with some solid QB tutelage.

Tim Tebow won't be ready this year.

My ideal scenario would be for Brady Quinn to win the job and play at a high level.

Then when it comes time to see what Tim Tebow can do in 2011, we can keep Quinn around to ensure we have a good QB in case Tebow does not pan out. If Tebow pans out and is the real deal, then Brady Quinn will have some excellent trade value.

Hamrob
06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm for Quinn with Tebow being the Qb of the future...maybe 2-3yrs out.

I think Orton will start this year. It's his second year in the system and he's playing for a starting job and a nice new contract. For a guy like Orton, the time is now. He needs to play his sack off to get a 25-30m contract somwhere. He's done in Denver after this year...but, that shouldn't stop him from putting his best foot forward...this is his one and only shot at making a great payday! I think he plays well and gets us into the playoffs. But, it will have more to do with the supporting cast than with Orton's playmaking.

Personally, I'd rather see what Quinn can do. I think he's a guy with all the tools...he just needs the right oppurtunity. Denver looked like the place to be...before we got Tebow. I'm excited to see him play...and thus, he's my choice to start.

Tebow needs alot of work. He'll show signs, because he's a stud, but putting him out there too soon would not be good.

TheReverend
06-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Please tell me you copyrighted that, Mile High Messiah could be huge!

Didn't come up with it. It was the only bright-spot from a bad ESPN article

montrose
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Didn't come up with it. It was the only bright-spot from a bad ESPN article

Steal it!:espnsux:

lostknight
06-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I would say, let's look at the first eight games. If we start the season 3-5 or something, then it's time to pull the plug on the Orton experiment and admit we are rebuilding and start Tebow if he is ready. Tebow easily has the highest upsides, not just from a QB performance point of view, but also from a business point of view.

To wit, I've heard that the Tebow selection has gone down very well with certain Gators alumni - who have been talking about Box seats at the stadium.

Nothing I have read from OTA's at this point convinces me that Quinn has fixed his accuracy issues.

broncoblue
06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
wheres the ALL OF THEM button?
i just wanna win with ANYBODY!!!

OrangenBlueOhio
06-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Orton as a transitional QB playing for a starting job and big-time contract next year is a pretty damn good option.

Or he wilts under the pressure of knowing he has to prove himself this year or he is pretty much done.