PDA

View Full Version : Prayers and Thoughts For Coach Wooden

Smiling Assassin27
06-04-2010, 09:13 AM
There are only a handful of people that I can look at with awe. Coach Wooden is one. His coaching accomplishments aside, the man lives and breathes humility, gentleness, honesty, graciousness, and strength all at once. I had the opportunity to gab with Coach Wooden on many occasions at Pauley Pavilion and he was always in good spirits and willing to talk about any ol' thing. He epitomizes the best of his generation, and has passed on things like dedication, attention to detail, confidence in one's self, dependence on teammates, and sportsmanship while maintaining an undying focus on achievement and actualizing your potential in all you do.

If this is it, Coach, you'll be missed. The key to your life, as you always used to say, was 'love' and 'balance'. May you and Nell be happy together, as you were here in life. Rest assured that many, including one kid who always dreamed of playing point guard for the Bruins, thank you for the lessons you impart through your teaching and your example.

gunns
06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I'll add to that sentiment. Could not stand to see the Bruins win, but win they did and that was a testament to Wooden. Wooden was someone to look at in awe. I often wondered if half those kids would have done half of what they did without him. 4 30-0 seasons in a row was amazing but was just a part of what Wooden did for those kids. God bless Mr. Wooden.

Los Broncos
06-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I met Wooden at a high school BBall camp, great man and a great teacher.

Great leader as well, he's had a long full life.

broncogary
06-04-2010, 09:50 AM
I met Wooden at a high school BBall camp, great man and a great teacher.

Great leader as well, he's had a long full life.

Yes, he was.

Oh, and happy birthday, IC.

Los Broncos
06-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Yes, he was.

Oh, and happy birthday, IC.

Thank you but my birthday was in March :wave:

broncogary
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Thank you but my birthday was in March :wave:

I know. :spit:

Los Broncos
06-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I know. :spit:

Dam, sorry I didn't catch on, good one. Ha!

Pontius Pirate
06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/spocktap.gif

broncosteven
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I have read a couple of his books. Good stuff. Best wishes.

OBF1
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
"They call me Coach" is an epic read. A true gentleman in every sense of the word.

dsmoot
06-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I'll add to that sentiment. Could not stand to see the Bruins win, but win they did and that was a testament to Wooden. Wooden was someone to look at in awe. I often wondered if half those kids would have done half of what they did without him. 4 30-0 seasons in a row was amazing but was just a part of what Wooden did for those kids. God bless Mr. Wooden.

I loved watching UCLA. Many didn't like them because of the "winning". I find many feel the same about Duke and Coach K. Coach K seems to have many
qualities that Coach Wooden has. Coach Wooden's books are really good reads. I love the stories about how he "handled" the big name players that came through his door. It is quite amazing the love that his players have for him. Much like Lombardi but quite a different style. Its all about "team" not the individual. Where in football have I heard that recently?

OBF1
06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
RIP Coach :(

FADERPROOF
06-04-2010, 08:33 PM
RIP John Wooden.

Truly a larger than life figure, greatest coach of all-time and even better person. I've always said that how good a life you lead is based on the love others have for you, and look at all of the former UCLA players that just adored the man. Some coaches have ties with players, some coaches are there just for the W's, coach Wooden was there to be a coach, teacher, father figure, and friend.

TDmvp
06-04-2010, 08:33 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0604/espn_wooden1x_576.jpg

:-[

theAPAOps5
06-04-2010, 08:52 PM
RIP to a great legendary coach and even better a great human being.

But I am happy in that he is reunited with his beloved Nellie once again.

ro_50
06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
RIP John Wooden. I write freelance for college basketball and sad day for college basketball.

He's the greatest coach in sports history......

Rocket 7
06-04-2010, 09:36 PM
RIP Coach

SouthStndJunkie
06-04-2010, 10:57 PM
John Wooden lived as full a life as you can.

99 years is an amazingly long time to live.

When you live that long and accomplish as much as he did, it's time to celebrate his life.

Los Broncos
06-04-2010, 11:08 PM
There were three figures in sports I loved growing up, Vin Scully, Chick Hearn and John Wooden.

RIP to a great man and leader of men.

Jason in LA
06-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Back when I was a student/athlete at UCLA I would walk into the trophy room in the athletic department. It was wall to wall NCAA trophies, and Wooden was responsible for 10 of them. And seeing the banners in Pauley Pavilion, just awesome.

Natedog24
06-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Watch this before youtube takes it down, Vin Scully on the passing of Coach Wooden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIHaSvPM554).

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIHaSvPM554&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIHaSvPM554&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>