PDA

View Full Version : Kroenke going for 100% Rams ownership

Irish Stout
06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Not that it really matters, but since Kroenke already owns two Denver teams, kinda interesting. Word on the light rail today was that Kroenke will have to transfer ownership of the Denver teams to get the Rams. (if this was already posted - my bad yo!)

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15214932

Nuggets, Avs owner Kroenke likely to get OK to own St. Louis Rams
Posted: 06/03/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Stan Kroenke's attempt to buy the Rams mirrors Wayne Huizenga's bid for the Dolphins in 1994. ( Getty Images file photo )Records are made to be broken by the next generation of athletes, and it appears rules can be bent considerably by wealthy businessmen.

In getting around the NFL's hardly strict policy that prohibits owners from also controlling other sports teams in NFL markets, Stan Kroenke may be following the precedent set by Wayne Huizenga in 1994.

Kroenke, who owns the NHL Avalanche and NBA Nuggets in the same Denver market as the NFL Broncos, likely will also be allowed to own the NFL St. Louis Rams.

"The proposed transaction is being reviewed by the finance committee and that hasn't been completed," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday. "There have been no reports to our clubs. We're not going to discuss the details of what he's proposed. That's what is under review."

It's possible Kroenke's full purchase of the Rams he already owns 40 percent of the club could come to a vote when NFL owners meet Aug. 25 at a site still to be determined.

It appears Kroenke could get around the NFL cross-ownership policy by transferring controlling interest of the Avs and Nuggets to either his wife, Ann, or son Josh.

The NFL already amended its cross-ownership policy in 1994 when it allowed Huizenga to buy the NFL Dolphins even though he already owned baseball's Florida Marlins and hockey's Florida Panthers in the Miami market.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Hercules Rockefeller
06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
His Denver area holdings are worth more than the Rams, he'd be stupid to give up control of these franchises just to own the Rams if the NFL won't allow him to own franchises in multiple markets.

Irish Stout
06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
His Denver area holdings are worth more than the Rams, he'd be stupid to give up control of these franchises just to own the Rams if the NFL won't allow him to own franchises in multiple markets.

Looks like his plan is to transfer ownership to his son, wife, or daughter, or maybe a little to each. In which case, he is not giving up anything. Though the Avs and Nugs surely bring in more $ than the Rams would initially, there is way more money to be made in the NFL ownership pie than almost all other sports combined.

OBF1
06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I would think that the profit of an NFL team would be close to the same as the Avs and Nugg's combined, more so over time.

Mountain Bronco
06-03-2010, 03:23 PM
NFL franchises are far more valuable than any other league save the larger market MLB teams.

Man-Goblin
06-03-2010, 08:32 PM
NFL franchises are far more valuable than any other league save the larger market MLB teams.

I believe he was talking about all of his Denver teams, arenas/stadiums, and networks combined. I would assume all of those assets exceed the $700 mill or so that the Rams are worth, but it might be close.

RhymesayersDU
06-03-2010, 08:36 PM
I believe he was talking about all of his Denver teams, arenas/stadiums, and networks combined. I would assume all of those assets exceed the $700 mill or so that the Rams are worth, but it might be close.

Although, he'd only have to give up the Nuggets and Avs. He'd keep the networks.

strafen
06-03-2010, 09:01 PM

He's not giving up control on the Avs or on the Nuggets by any stretch.
He would simply be "transferring" ownership to his wife and/or son to circumvent the NFL policy that prohibits ownership of sport teams on NFL markets.
He will still be calling the shots...