PDA

View Full Version : One story behind Mike Nolan's Denver departure

TonyR
06-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 3, 2010 11:02 AM ET

Mike Nolan's exit from Denver to Miami to take another defensive coordinator job was one of the more surprising coaching moves of the offseason.

We didn't get much explanation from either side about the mutual parting, but a handful of players told the Denver Post they know when the beginning of the end started for Nolan in Denver.

It was Week Fourteen, and the 8-4 Broncos traveled to Indianapolis. Peyton Manning staked the Colts to a 21-0 lead in three possessions, and coach Josh McDaniels reportedly wasn't pleased with Nolan's run-blitz calls.

"The hostile way McDaniels handled that communication breakdown was not well-received by Nolan," Mike Klis writes.

(I remember the game well. The Broncos cut the lead to 21-16 during the fourth quarter.)

Perhaps Nolan was too accustomed to being the alpha dog after a stint as the 49ers head coach. Still, it's surprising that a coach so used to barking at players wouldn't accept a little in-game tongue-lashing from his boss.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/03/one-story-behind-mike-nolans-denver-departure/

Here's the DP source.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15205066?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29

theAPAOps5
06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
McDoofus is a cancer.......... Just thought I would get the party started.

bronco militia
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
the 'throw it to B-marsh and kick field goals' game......

the coaching staff as a whole sucked that day. too bad, really. Peyton was off that day.

TonyR
06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Peyton was off that day.

Peyton was fine until McD yelled at Nolan to change up the defense, apparently hurting Nolan's feelings in the process. Or at least that's how I like to spin it!

Jesterhole
06-03-2010, 09:16 AM
'Lil Josh sure has done a great job of running off proven, accomplished people and replacing them with injured, faith-based yes men.

Tombstone RJ
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
'Lil Josh sure has done a great job of running off proven, accomplished people and replacing them with injured, faith-based yes men.

You can't be serious. If Nolan can't take a little heat from his boss then he needs to go. Anyone who has ever played the game or coached the game has been screamed at once or twice. Heck, I remember coaches yelling and cussing in little league football at the kids! No biggie, it's part of the game.

I like McD's fire. If Nolan can't handle it then he needs to be gone. Josh was a defensive coordinator too once and I'm sure he's had his ass handed to him a time or two from his superiors.

Jason in LA
06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I seriously doubt the parting of ways was over one sideline incident. There were probably incidents before and after that. One sideline spat isn't going to cause that big of a problem. Blaming Nolan or McD over that little incident for the break up is kind of silly. They could have been doing a lot of behind the scenes fighting.

cmhargrove
06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Nolan may have deserved to get reamed that day, but holding the Colts to 28 in Indy isn't really that bad.

I thought we lost that game because Indy kept stuffing us on important third and short running plays (and maybe a fourth and short run play).

colonelbeef
06-03-2010, 10:14 AM

I know you are being sarcastic, and it's his show for sure, but you have to admit that there has to be more than just smoke to the idea that McDaniels has a problem interacting with some people...

bloodsunday
06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Again, what's all the fuss about? Mike Shanahan fired D.C.s annually and barely it was no big story. Why is it that every McDaniels move has been criticized so highly?

colonelbeef
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Again, what's all the fuss about? Mike Shanahan fired D.C.s annually and barely it was no big story. Why is it that every McDaniels move has been criticized so highly?

Simple- Mike Shanahan was the guy who won 2 superbowls, got John elway his rings, finally won titles in Denver, and was allowed to do whatever the **** he wanted.

Josh McDaniels has no such weight to throw around and no such pedigree to back up his moves- he's been in Denver for a year, already traded extremely popular young stars, and run a coach out of town who presided over the single best and most productive unit on the team last year under, once again, questionable circumstances.

Stop comparing future Hall of Fame coach Mike Shanahan to year 2 coach Josh McDaniels. Lets have this convo in 12 years.

Rabb
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I seriously doubt the parting of ways was over one sideline incident. There were probably incidents before and after that. One sideline spat isn't going to cause that big of a problem. Blaming Nolan or McD over that little incident for the break up is kind of silly. They could have been doing a lot of behind the scenes fighting.

the beginning of the end started

I think they are implying it started here (or continued as you said), not that this was the straw

CEH
06-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Nolan may have deserved to get reamed that day, but holding the Colts to 28 in Indy isn't really that bad.

I thought we lost that game because Indy kept stuffing us on important third and short running plays (and maybe a fourth and short run play).

21-16 midway through the 4th with 3 Colts turnovers by the D
Josh's stragegy was to kick off and have multiple back to back offensive possesions around and after halftime which the D provided and the O failed to capitlaize on.

After spotting Indy a 21-7 lead the D gave the O the ball at the Denver 46, Denver 37 , 2nd half KO, Indy 37, Denver 43, Indy 24 and the O could only manage 9 points from those 6 offensive possesions

You will never beat Indy scoring only 9 points off 3 Peyton Manning turnovers.

The D did enough that day to bring home a victory

broncosteven
06-03-2010, 10:32 AM

Is that the game mCd kept running the Trap play with Knowshon on 3rd and 1 only to get stuffed every time?

I agree, The D played better after staking 21 points but they ended up going down 7-20 to Philly a couple weeks later to climb back into it but Orton couldn't get it done to finish off the come from behind win.

HILife
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
irreconcilable differences, hence, the divorce

Paladin
06-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Is that the game mCd kept running the Trap play with Knowshon on 3rd and 1 only to get stuffed every time?

I agree, The D played better after staking 21 points but they ended up going down 7-20 to Philly a couple weeks later to climb back into it but Orton couldn't get it done to finish off the come from behind win.

Well, the 25 yard QB keeper didn't help......

Jason in LA
06-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I think they are implying it started here (or continued as you said), not that this was the straw
Yeah, I understand that is what the article was implying. My comment was more towards people who were saying that Nolan can't take being yelled at one time. There's probably a whole lot more to the story.

tsiguy96
06-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, the 25 yard QB keeper didn't help......

ill never forget that play.

3rd and 25 to seal the deal.

Kaylore
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Simple- Mike Shanahan was the guy who won 2 superbowls, got John elway his rings, finally won titles in Denver, and was allowed to do whatever the **** he wanted.

This is funny because Shanahan was given full powers over everything before he won his two titles, not after. People keep harping on this like Shanahan had to coddle everyone and then after winning a SB he changed into some kind of tough guy coach since he "proved himself" by winning.

It's a bunch of crap.

Bowlen bought into Shanahan's vision and gave him full power to execute that vision. He made all the changes he wanted, estranging some players and coaches in the process, and then he won two SB's.

He's doing the same thing with McDaniels and frankly everyone in the NFL expects the same thing. This idea that you don't have to listen to your coach if he didn't win a ring, or that you need to make nice with your players and have to make sure everyone feels ok with everything unless you've won a ring is such utter and complete bull****.

You set up your program and find the guys who will tow the line and fit your system. The rest you get rid of. This is the only way to know if he's any good because if it doesn't work, then we know it was the coaching and the system and not because we forced him to water down his methodologies to prevent hurt feelings.

I'd like to point out that coaches screaming at their players and coaches is as old as the game and this idea that he was too mean is complete crap as well. I had coaches that screamed and I had coaches who were soft spoken and both worked for them in different ways.

Florida_Bronco
06-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Josh McDaniels has no such weight to throw around and no such pedigree to back up his moves- he's been in Denver for a year, already traded extremely popular young stars, and run a coach out of town who presided over the single best and most productive unit on the team last year under, once again, questionable circumstances.

Stop comparing future Hall of Fame coach Mike Shanahan to year 2 coach Josh McDaniels. Lets have this convo in 12 years.

What was Shanny's pedigree before he came back to Denver?

bpc
06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I think Nolan should have given McD a tonguelashing for wasting his' unit's excellence week after week ESPECIALLY during the Indy game. Nolan shut out Peyton Manning for the rest of the game. Only Marshall almost brought us back in that game. McD's unit was pathetic.

broncosteven
06-03-2010, 12:36 PM
What was Shanny's pedigree before he came back to Denver?

Well he worked with Barry Switzer in the college ranks, coached at FL and Oak where they won a National Championship. He was with Denver as QB coach then OC. He went to Oakland as an HC where he was at .500 if memory serves. He was asked by Bowlen to come to Denver and be the HC in 93 but he passed because he said he wasn't ready. He went to San Fran and was their OC and won a SB. Then he came back to Denver.

Shanny packed a lot of experience in a short time and had accumulated a lot of knowledge from multiple sources. He was still young when he took the HC job in Denver.

I would feel better about mCd if he would have had more experience and learned on someone elses dime. mCd has only been with one NFL team.

I am sure mCd knows football and is very smart but experience trumps potential in my book. I hope he is a wunderkind and takes the Broncos to the promised land but am still very pessimistic that he can pull it off.

Rabb
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I think Nolan should have given McD a tonguelashing for wasting his' unit's excellence week after week ESPECIALLY during the Indy game. Nolan shut out Peyton Manning for the rest of the game. Only Marshall almost brought us back in that game. McD's unit was pathetic.

Hilarious!

broncosteven
06-03-2010, 12:52 PM
This is funny because Shanahan was given full powers over everything before he won his two titles, not after. People keep harping on this like Shanahan had to coddle everyone and then after winning a SB he changed into some kind of tough guy coach since he "proved himself" by winning.

It's a bunch of crap.

Bowlen bought into Shanahan's vision and gave him full power to execute that vision. He made all the changes he wanted, estranging some players and coaches in the process, and then he won two SB's.

He's doing the same thing with McDaniels and frankly everyone in the NFL expects the same thing. This idea that you don't have to listen to your coach if he didn't win a ring, or that you need to make nice with your players and have to make sure everyone feels ok with everything unless you've won a ring is such utter and complete bull****.

You set up your program and find the guys who will tow the line and fit your system. The rest you get rid of. This is the only way to know if he's any good because if it doesn't work, then we know it was the coaching and the system and not because we forced him to water down his methodologies to prevent hurt feelings.

I'd like to point out that coaches screaming at their players and coaches is as old as the game and this idea that he was too mean is complete crap as well. I had coaches that screamed and I had coaches who were soft spoken and both worked for them in different ways.

I still think mCd would have been better served to take on another OC gig somewhere else just to pick up a differnet view point.

Bowlen is going to have to give him a good 4-5 years to settle in and get everything implemented considering they lost a year or 2 with Cutler wanting out. Maybe that is time enough for mCd to figure out how to tweak his plans.

Shanny had been on staffs that won National Championships, SB's and another staff that lost the SB. He saw how to win from different angles.

mCd blew the SB for the Pats by not being prepared for the rush or adjusting protection and or play calling to offset the rush. Brady was the human grass stain that day. mCd was a DB coach the year they won his only SB there.

mCd has only seen the NFL through Belly's eyes, Shanny saw it from Switzer's, Reeves, Seiferts, and Al Davis.

tsiguy96
06-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I still think mCd would have been better served to take on another OC gig somewhere else just to pick up a differnet view point.

Bowlen is going to have to give him a good 4-5 years to settle in and get everything implemented considering they lost a year or 2 with Cutler wanting out. Maybe that is time enough for mCd to figure out how to tweak his plans.

Shanny had been on staffs that won National Championships, SB's and another staff that lost the SB. He saw how to win from different angles.

mCd blew the SB for the Pats by not being prepared for the rush or adjusting protection and or play calling to offset the rush. Brady was the human grass stain that day. mCd was a DB coach the year they won his only SB there.

mCd has only seen the NFL through Belly's eyes, Shanny saw it from Switzer's, Reeves, Seiferts, and Al Davis.

do you even believe the **** you write anymore?

Mediator12
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Come on bpc, that is a freaking ton of revisionistic history. The Colts went into shutdown mode after scoring 21 straight like no other game they played last year. The defense lost Freeney and Mathis was playing hurt too in the second half. Then Powers got hurt and INDY had no one left to Cover Marshall... INDY played Classic bend but do not break football and ball possession offense after they scored their first 21 and had injuries. As soon as the game was close, Peyton drove the field on a 9 minute drive and put the game away.

INDY was all over that defense early, and then when it counted.

theAPAOps5
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Come on bpc, that is a freaking ton of revisionistic history. The Colts went into shutdown mode after scoring 21 straight like no other game they played last year. The defense lost Freeney and Mathis was playing hurt too in the second half. Then Powers got hurt and INDY had no one left to Cover Marshall... INDY played Classic bend but do not break football and ball possession offense after they scored their first 21 and had injuries. As soon as the game was close, Peyton drove the field on a 9 minute drive and put the game away.

INDY was all over that defense early, and then when it counted.

Please do not cloud BPC's hate for McD with anything other than McD bashing facts! :wiggle:

Jetmeck
06-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Seriously can we get Joshie some classes. He just can't get along with anybody. lol

cutthemdown
06-03-2010, 08:19 PM

It's a bunch of crap.

home run trot comes next

strafen
06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
21-16 midway through the 4th with 3 Colts turnovers by the D
Josh's stragegy was to kick off and have multiple back to back offensive possesions around and after halftime which the D provided and the O failed to capitlaize on.

After spotting Indy a 21-7 lead the D gave the O the ball at the Denver 46, Denver 37 , 2nd half KO, Indy 37, Denver 43, Indy 24 and the O could only manage 9 points from those 6 offensive possesions

You will never beat Indy scoring only 9 points off 3 Peyton Manning turnovers.

The D did enough that day to bring home a victoryDidn't we in that game win the coin toss, and Mcdaniels decided to give the ball to Peyton to start the firepower right off the bat?
Perhaps it would've been different if we started the game on offense.
you just can't give Peyton the chance to make a statement first. That was a bonehead call by McDaniels. He outsmarted himself in that one...

Caveat Lector
06-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Didn't we in that game win the coin toss, and Mcdaniels decided to give the ball to Peyton to start the firepower right off the bat?
Perhaps it would've been different if we started the game on offense.
you just can't give Peyton the chance to make a statement first. That was a bonehead call by McDaniels. He outsmarted himself in that one...

Yes we did win the toss, but as someone explained eariler there was a genuine reason behind it.

The logic was to grind out a long drive to end the 1st half to gain some momentum, and then have the ball back at the beginning of the 2nd, and hence keep the ball out of Peyton's hands for a protracted period of time. Its a reasonable theory, I wouldn't say it cost us the game...

BroncoBuff
06-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Well, it seems right. In fact, lots of what the detractors have been saying seems right.

But to be honest, so what? Head coaches are head coaches, and lots of great head coaches were gruff and authoritative. It seems kinda weird that a smiling young personable guy like Josh would possess such traits, but why not?

I think some of my resentment was probably based on his age.

strafen
06-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Yes we did win the toss, but as someone explained eariler there was a genuine reason behind it.

The logic was to grind out a long drive to end the 1st half to gain some momentum, and then have the ball back at the beginning of the 2nd, and hence keep the ball out of Peyton's hands for a protracted period of time. Its a reasonable theory, I wouldn't say it cost us the game...There's a genuine reason why NFL coaches don't try this. It doesn't work.
You don't try to re-invent the wheel and try to do things that goes against conventional wisdom.
I understand what he was trying to do, but that's a high-risk move against one of th best team in the NFL with a proven QB leading the way...
The odds were against us. You just need to put that one in the category of; what was he thinking?

elsid13
06-04-2010, 05:25 AM
What happened in the game is irrelevant. What was relevant was that there appears to be strong breakdown in trust within the coaching staff. At the end of the day, everyone on the coaching staff works for McDaniels and they are ones that need to adapt to his behavior not the other way around. That doesn't mean I think that acting like prick High School football coach is acceptable management behavior, but that appears McDaniels' leadership style.

chrisp
06-04-2010, 05:28 AM

It's a bunch of crap.

Ab-so-fricking-lutely!!

Saved me from posting...damn you that's why my post count is so low.. :-)

jhns
06-04-2010, 06:04 AM
So what you are saying is McDaniels' hand picked coordinator, that won him most of his games and turned our worst ever defense into a top 10 defense, doesn't even want to work with him? Not really news. We have known this.

Drek
06-04-2010, 07:15 AM
So what you are saying is McDaniels' hand picked coordinator, that won him most of his games and turned our worst ever defense into a top 10 defense, doesn't even want to work with him? Not really news. We have known this.

I think its more that McD and Nolan don't want to work with each other, they just have different philosophies on how a defense should work. Initially Nolan was willing to coach and gameplan McDaniels' preferred way, but when they struggled he went back to trying his own techniques, which McDaniels didn't like.

They mutually agreed that they aren't the best fit to work together because they have different mindsets on how to run a 3-4 defense. McDaniels got a letter from Miami and then gave Nolan the option to go there or stay in Denver, which Nolan obviously wanted to take so he could run his style of D. End of story.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-04-2010, 07:17 AM
I think its more that McD and Nolan don't want to work with each other, they just have different philosophies on how a defense should work. Initially Nolan was willing to coach and gameplan McDaniels' preferred way, but when they struggled he went back to trying his own techniques, which McDaniels didn't like.

They mutually agreed that they aren't the best fit to work together because they have different mindsets on how to run a 3-4 defense. McDaniels got a letter from Miami and then gave Nolan the option to go there or stay in Denver, which Nolan obviously wanted to take so he could run his style of D. End of story.

Might as well not bother. jhiz has his own fantasyland where everything is exactly how he says it is, regardless of reality.

In fact, if you want some entertainment, ask him to break down the QB position for you. He's an expert, the rest of us are just n00bs, and that's true because he said so.

Sticking feathers up his butt does in fact make jhns a chicken.

elsid13
06-04-2010, 07:22 AM

Nolan wasn't a hand pick coordinator. It was a marriage of convenience set up by their mutual agent.

jhns
06-04-2010, 07:38 AM

I'm not seeing the difference in what we said. Nolan didn't want to work here. I'm not sure how you can spin this as a smart move by McDaniels. He hired an established coordinator and then wanted him to run some other version of the 3-4. What sense does that make and why would he ever think it would work out well?

If you want someone that will just do whatever you say, and change up their scheme at your request, you hire a guy like Martindale. If you want a coordinator that can handle the defensive playcalling and coaching, you hire a guy like Nolan. I guess stupidity is a good enough reason to continue the biggest problem this defense has had over the past 5 years. We love that revolving door at d-coordinator.

snowspot66
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM

The logic was to grind out a long drive to end the 1st half to gain some momentum, and then have the ball back at the beginning of the 2nd, and hence keep the ball out of Peyton's hands for a protracted period of time. Its a reasonable theory, I wouldn't say it cost us the game...

I'd much rather have the ball to start the second half against Manning than to give it to him free and clear. I liked the call then and I'd like it in the future. It's a good call from a momentum standpoint for sure. It hurts like hell if he gets the ball at the end of the first half and he takes it in for a score and then get's it again to start the third quarter.

I'd much rather have a completely fresh defense with some potential surprises try to get after him to start the game before they can adjust. Then it's like you get the ball to start and at the half.

Count me a fan of the deferment rule.

snowspot66
06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
There's a genuine reason why NFL coaches don't try this. It doesn't work.
You don't try to re-invent the wheel and try to do things that goes against conventional wisdom.
I understand what he was trying to do, but that's a high-risk move against one of th best team in the NFL with a proven QB leading the way...
The odds were against us. You just need to put that one in the category of; what was he thinking?

The reason they never did it before is because they weren't allowed to. The rule only changed recently I believe.

Paladin
06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2856979 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Because he just doesn't know jack.......
</TD></TR><!-- / main bar --></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / close content container --><!-- / post #2856979 --><!-- post #2857181 --><!-- open content container -->

Paladin
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
I have a quesiton about the origial op: Who cares? I thought the Broncos were moving on. Why can't the cynical haters move on?

jhns
06-04-2010, 10:58 AM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2856979 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Because he just doesn't know jack.......
</TD></TR><!-- / main bar --></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / close content container --><!-- / post #2856979 --><!-- post #2857181 --><!-- open content container -->

Oh look, the drama queen is up.

ZONA
06-04-2010, 07:05 PM
What's funny is that if he couldn't handle a little tounge lashing from McD, why in the hell go to Miami and coach for Parcells. Yeah, because he's known for taking it easy on guys. :rofl: