PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Bound

TheReverend
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81871a64&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

At this pace, they have a shot

6. Champ Bailey, CB, Broncos: In 11 seasons, he has 46 interceptions, 107 passes defended and six forced fumbles and has often been referred to as the best in the game.

7. Brandon Marshall, WR, Dolphins: The guy has more than 100 receptions in each of the last three seasons and if the 26-year-old can keep his head on straight, he could wind up with well over 1,000 receptions. His yards per catch and touchdowns are not on pace with Moss or Owens, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I really think, from as unbiased a perspective as I possibly can have, that Champ should be in the locks section.

TheReverend
06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Randy Moss and Sharper both belong in the locks section as well, imo.

theAPAOps5
06-02-2010, 09:49 PM
If Marshall has 3 more seasons at All Pro levels he will be nearing that lock status too. Hopefully for him he grows a brain.

CoopDawg
06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Mawae is a lock, no questions asked. Steve Hutchinson should also make it in without too much trouble.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
frank schaub, gazette writer, said he has never seen a player have a aseason like champ had in 06.

ZachKC
06-03-2010, 12:11 AM
frank schaub, gazette writer, said he has never seen a player have a aseason like champ had in 06.

Ok.

extralife
06-03-2010, 12:21 AM
In what world is Ed Reed more of a lock than Randy Moss? And yeah, Champ is waaay too low. He's behind four other DBs, which is absurd. Behind Ben Roethlisberger! I mean, I know voters love their QBs, but ****

Killericon
06-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Woodson < Champ.

Too early to tell, but signs look good

Joe Thomas, OT, Browns

Where the hell is Clady, then?

24champ
06-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Champ needs to play in the postseason more, he has the stats and all sure...but recognition always comes from being in the postseason. If we don't make it this coming season, he will be in another uniform the next season. Probably pull a Shannon Sharpe and go to the Ravens.

uplink
06-03-2010, 01:59 AM
not enough QBs listed, it is such an important position. I think C. Warner has a good shot, plus it looks like Eli Manning and P. Rivers are on track if they continue to play the same way for 5 more years or so.

OCBronco
06-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Champ needs to play in the postseason more, he has the stats and all sure...but recognition always comes from being in the postseason. If we don't make it this coming season, he will be in another uniform the next season. Probably pull a Shannon Sharpe and go to the Ravens.

If that were true, then TD would be a lock. Or maybe it's that the hall voters only take your postseason stats seriously if you play for one of the darling teams.

ZONA
06-03-2010, 02:15 AM
I just have to laugh my ass off on any player mentioned that's been in the league less then 5 years. So many things can happen in the NFL. You can get traded to a bad team, which means players can double team you because there not worried about the other guys as much, injuries, accidents outside the game (see Clady). I mean, AP's been in the league 3 years and even though he's great, his name shouldn't even be mentioned in HOF discussions. Way way too early. What's next, should we start talking about great rookies that could be HOF, if they can only keep up the good play, for about another 10 years or so...........hahahahaha.

24champ
06-03-2010, 02:18 AM
If that were true, then TD would be a lock. Or maybe it's that the hall voters only take your postseason stats seriously if you play for one of the darling teams.

It is true, because it is the primary reason why TD is considered during the HOF votes, he carried us in the playoffs. Let me put to you this way, players get their exposure in the playoffs...when everything is magnified. Where big plays get glorified and bad plays get demonized.

extralife
06-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Well, the one time Champ was in the playoffs he won a game for us and handed Tom Brady his first career playoff loss. Has to count for something.

tsiguy96
06-03-2010, 06:24 AM
i just dont understand the logic behind some of these writers to be honest...pat kirwan knows a lot about football and i listen to him on sirius radio, but how can you say a player has been discussed as best of all time, had been a shutdown cornerback (a TRUE shutdown CB, not the throwaround term they use now to describe any CB) for most of his career, yet still isnt even marked as a lock.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-03-2010, 06:55 AM
WTF?

9 Pro Bowls for Bailey (tied for the most all-time among corners) to 6 for Woodson and he's done it in one less season.

Some of the logic is just terrible. LT is 2nd in rushing TDs all-time and had an incredible season in '06 and is therefore a lock, but Moss is close even though he's currently 2nd in receiving TDs had an all-time great season in '08 and he still produces.

TheChamp24
06-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Champ is pretty much a lock as long as he doesn't crap the bed his final years. Get over 50 interceptions and another Pro Bowl season, it would be hard to overlook him.

Doggcow
06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
What? :tebow: isn't on the list?

Rubbish.

Beantown Bronco
06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
not enough QBs listed, it is such an important position. I think C. Warner has a good shot, plus it looks like Eli Manning and P. Rivers are on track if they continue to play the same way for 5 more years or so.

Eli Manning isn't even in the top 5 list of current QBs. I might not even put him in my top 10. HOF? How?

Cmac821
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
They are forgetting Revis, at his pace he might go down as the greatest CB ever

Interesting side note: being a younger member of the Mane I have to say Tom Brady is the greatest player I have watched granted I only caught the last couple years of Elway.

TheReverend
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
They are forgetting Revis, at his pace he might go down as the greatest CB ever

Interesting side note: being a younger member of the Mane I have to say Tom Brady is the greatest player I have watched granted I only caught the last couple years of Elway.

Didn't click the link did you?

bowtown
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Champ was considered the best corner in the league for at least half of a decade, if not more. He is a lock.

bowtown
06-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Kind of surprised Dawkins is nowhere on that list.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Champ is pretty much a lock as long as he doesn't crap the bed his final years. Get over 50 interceptions and another Pro Bowl season, it would be hard to overlook him.

Dude's a lock now, what part of tied for the most Pro Bowls all-time among corners needs to be repeated?

One more Pro Bowl and he has the record on his own.

TheReverend
06-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Dude's a lock now, what part of tied for the most Pro Bowls all-time among corners needs to be repeated?

^

Steve Sewell
06-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Say what you want about him, but Randy Moss is an absolute LOCK for the HOF. This article is full of retard IMO. Charles Woodson over Champ Bailey? LOLOLOLOLOL

Lomax
06-04-2010, 01:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81871a64&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

At this pace, they have a shot

6. Champ Bailey, CB, Broncos: In 11 seasons, he has 46 interceptions, 107 passes defended and six forced fumbles and has often been referred to as the best in the game.

7. Brandon Marshall, WR, Dolphins: The guy has more than 100 receptions in each of the last three seasons and if the 26-year-old can keep his head on straight, he could wind up with well over 1,000 receptions. His yards per catch and touchdowns are not on pace with Moss or Owens, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I really think, from as unbiased a perspective as I possibly can have, that Champ should be in the locks section.

Marshall is so unbelievably overhyped, it's crazy.

Guy makes some circus catches and is hard to tackle, true. But his deep game sucks, his routes are sloppy, and he gets no separation. Hence, the yards per catch. So any gameplan that's based around feeding Marshall automatically becomes a 5-yard hitch offense, because that's what he does best.

It's not the number of catches that matter, it's the impact on the offense. He never actually made our offense better as a unit. Throwing to a guy running a bunch of short routes doesn't make him a HOFer. And it's amazing that people want to put him in the category of a Moss-type talent because he can catch a bunch of short throws and make the highlight reel with some nice runs.

LonghornBronco
06-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Woodson < Champ.

Where the hell is Clady, then?

+1, this

TheReverend
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Marshall is so unbelievably overhyped, it's crazy.

Guy makes some circus catches and is hard to tackle, true. But his deep game sucks, his routes are sloppy, and he gets no separation. Hence, the yards per catch. So any gameplan that's based around feeding Marshall automatically becomes a 5-yard hitch offense, because that's what he does best.

It's not the number of catches that matter, it's the impact on the offense. He never actually made our offense better as a unit. Throwing to a guy running a bunch of short routes doesn't make him a HOFer. And it's amazing that people want to put him in the category of a Moss-type talent because he can catch a bunch of short throws and make the highlight reel with some nice runs.

This applies a lot more to last season than before.

In 2008, he was the #3 WR at moving the chains ONLY behind Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, and ahead of guys like Wayne, Welker, Moss, White, etc.

In 2007, he tied for 4th with a whopping 70 first downs... that's a ridiculous number and extremely contrary to any point you're trying to make...

Blocking (he's outstanding at it), pulling coverage from the defense, and catching the ball to move the chains and offering a new set of downs is PRECISELY how you make a unit better. He excelled in every area and even with a little slip with a new QB he was still in top shelf company.

Cmac821
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Didn't click the link did you?

Thought I did but didn't read the names at the bottom, I will go back to lurking ;D

TheReverend
06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Thought I did but didn't read the names at the bottom, I will go back to lurking ;D

lol it happens to everyone

Flex Gunmetal
06-04-2010, 01:36 PM
WTF Marshall over Fitz?

How silly.

M. Zaiem Beg
06-04-2010, 06:44 PM

The Pro Football HOF is weird. I think there are actually two questions:

1 - Would this player make the HOF under, say, a normal system in which the voters were not playing a bunch of stupid political games?

2 - Since the Pro Hootball HOF has a voting process that's about as secretive as the selection of the pope, can we hope to extrapolate someone's chances based on the results, which may or may not have come from the tortured logic that is the voting committee of the HOF?

The answer to #1 is that yes, Champ should be a lock. But look at who's not in the HOF, and then wonder what on earth is going on during committe voting weekend.

When Cris Carter retired, I believe he was #2 all-time in receptions and TD catches, and in the top five for yardage. 8 pro-bowls. I'm pretty sure most people thought he'd be a first ballot guy for sure, but he's still waiting. Andre Reed is still not in the HOF, and Art Monk too forfreakingEVER to get in, despite being near the very top, careerwise, when he retired. We all thought Shannon Sharpe would be in by now too.

Okay, so it's tough for receivers (which is why I think putting Randy Moss as a "lock" is probably a shade optimistic). But Atwater went to 8 pro-bowls which I believe is a record for a safety, and he hasn't even had a freaking sniff at Canton yet.

You know who else isn't in the Hall of Fame? Jerry Kramer. The guy that many consider the greatest guard to have ever lived. The one who was on the 50th Anniversary Team. That guy. Not in the HOF. Why? Too many Packers from that era already in the HOF. So they may have messed up on some of the others, so Kramer gets penalized.

I'm too young to remember Floyd Little, but why did he get into the HOF this year? Largely because the Broncos put together a huge packet putting a case forward for his inclusion. They had to argue his case like it's the bloody Supreme Court.

Is a Champ a lock? If the voting process was sane, then yes. As is? Who knows? Maybe if someone advocating Champ sacrifices a goat, it'll help. Or hurt. Or maybe it'll backfire and by a mysterious (and horrifying) turn of events, JaMarcus Russell accidentally gets voted in instead. We just don't know.

(Seriously, Jerry Kramer. It boggles the mind.)

TheChamp24
06-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Yes, the football HOF is freakin weird.
Greats continue to get passed over, like Carter and Sharpe, some never mentioned, like Atwater.
Although, the recent class has an amazing cast so I could see why it was hard to include anyone this year, but Irvin over Carter and Sharpe? Oh, he was a Cowboy, thats why.

The Moops
06-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Sharpe will get in . . . next year or the year after.

For some reason tight ends are not measured in the same elite category as QB, RB, WR ...

John Mackey, the greatest tight end ever, got in 20 years after he hung up his cleats.