PDA

View Full Version : OT: Did you just see the Tigers/Indians game

BroncoSojia
06-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Wow what a horrible call, if this isn't a call for instant replay I don't know what is.

Dude's gonna have trouble getting out of Detriot tonight.

DivineBronco
06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
and he should

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I watched the entire game from start to finish.

What a complete and utter cluster****.

Eat ****, Jim Joyce.

Armando Galarraga and the Tigers deserved better than that.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
just watched the replay, what a ****ing joke. very few pitchers ever even have a shot like this at a perfect game, and they just destroyed his.

DivineBronco
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
any ref or ump is a human being and is allowed to make mistakes but this should cost jim joyce his job he better be man enough to step down or someone should fire him he just cost a kid alot of money

FADERPROOF
06-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Watched it on the local Cleveland channel, even the Tribe announcers were in uproar over that call.

That's not even a "benefit of a doubt" call, that was just a completely blown call and Tigers(Cabrera) had every right for their actions during the last batter and after the game.

Wow, I almost watched history live and it got robbed!

FADERPROOF
06-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Donnell was out by a full step, that is a routine call that 1st base umps RARELY blow, but to blow it with a perfect game on the line is not tolerable at all.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 06:14 PM
i feel so bad for this guy, his shining moment of his career just got ruined. at the end of the day, its no longer a perfect game and he will not go down in history as ahving one.

adam schefter said on twitter bud selig should award him with the first 28 batter perfect game, and its not a bad idea.

Dagmar
06-02-2010, 06:15 PM
http://web6.twitpic.com/img/109864486-a0d6984ed80f966764b1ac26d1cca469.4c06fe90-scaled.jpg

FADERPROOF
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
i feel so bad for this guy, his shining moment of his career just got ruined. at the end of the day, its no longer a perfect game and he will not go down in history as ahving one.

adam schefter said on twitter bud selig should award him with the first 28 batter perfect game, and its not a bad idea.

Bud needs to do something to remember this game in a positive light, 1 hit shutouts will eventually be forgotten and Galarraga's performance tonight should go down in immortality.

Kid A
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Can you imagine? That would have been (and it really was) 3 perfect games within a month of each other. And there had only been 18 ever before? That is just bizarre.

This call will go down as one of the worst in sports history. If it happens in the 3rd inning, it's a footnote. On the last out? Clearly a step away. Unfathomable. MLB is going to have a PR nightmare on their hands here.

theAPAOps5
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Such a horrid call.

KipCorrington25
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
He should be fired, and the arrogance to stand there and argue like a prick afterward, exactly everything I hate about profesional sports right there, the guy is so bad if he is fired the NBA will pick him up as a ref in a heartbeat.

FADERPROOF
06-02-2010, 06:21 PM
He should be fired, and the arrogance to stand there and argue like a prick afterward, exactly everything I hate about profesional sports right there, the guy is so bad if he is fired the NBA will pick him up as a ref in a heartbeat.

He was ready to toss Cabrera out as well, during the next at-bat Cabrera was giving him a mouthful between each pitch at 1st base there.

That place wouldve exploded had he tossed Miguel out as well right after that horrendous blown call.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 06:21 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zA6v_RU4i48&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zA6v_RU4i48&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

RhymesayersDU
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
He shouldn't be fired for one call, that's absurd.

With that said, holy crap did he blow this one.

FADERPROOF
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
We also should be talking about Austin Jackson's unreal catch in the 9th inning to keep the perfect game intact, no outs with Mark Grudzielanek up and he roped a deep ball to left center that Jackson chased down and caught it over his shoulder ala willie mays.

That play by Jackson should be the stepping stone to Galarraga's perfect game.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
i really want to see what, if anything, the MLB will do to recognize gallarraga..

DivineBronco
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM

I just think there are mistakes that a big enough no matter what the job that it should be time to clean out the desk

FADERPROOF
06-02-2010, 06:31 PM

I do agree, if Don Denkinger got to keep his job then this too shall pass for Jim Jyce.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
We also should be talking about Austin Jackson's unreal catch in the 9th inning to keep the perfect game intact, no outs with Mark Grudzielanek up and he roped a deep ball to left center that Jackson chased down and caught it over his shoulder ala willie mays.

That play by Jackson should be the stepping stone to Galarraga's perfect game.

That was an awesome catch by Austin Jackson.

He's been excellent for the Tigers....batting .332 and playing some super solid CF.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I do agree, if Don Denkinger got to keep his job then this too shall pass for Jim Jyce.

I'm a huge Tigers fan and I don't think Jim Joyce should lose his job.

I'd like to boot his nuts up his ass right now, but one play should not cost him his job.

RhymesayersDU
06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I just think there are mistakes that a big enough no matter what the job that it should be time to clean out the desk

I mean... I get that. But what if he had made the same call in a "normal" game. Would we be up in arms? No, we wouldn't.

My point is, I'm of the opinion that bad calls are bad no matter what the situation. And I don't know that any rep/ump/etc should be fired over one bad call.

DivineBronco
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I mean... I get that. But what if he had made the same call in a "normal" game. Would we be up in arms? No, we wouldn't.

My point is, I'm of the opinion that bad calls are bad no matter what the situation. And I don't know that any rep/ump/etc should be fired over one bad call.

fair enough
at the very least I hope this is the kick MLB needs to ride nto the here and now and open up when they use replay

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Armando Galarraga was all class during his locker room interview.

Jim Joyce was broken up after the game and sought Galarraga out to apologize and tell him that he blew the call....sounds like the dude was pretty much in tears.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
if you have technology available that allows you to make a game more fair and accurately judged, why would you not use it? tradition is a BS argument, everything needs to change and advance at some point.

gyldenlove
06-02-2010, 06:51 PM
That was a huge cockup, but it was one play and just because it came in such a special situation shouldn't mean he gets fired. Bad calls like that happen every month.

tsiguy96
SI_PeterKing (http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing)
RT @TomLeyden (http://twitter.com/TomLeyden): Joyce was distraught. "Most important call of my career and I kicked the s$&t out of it. I cost that kid a perfect game."

KipCorrington25
The dude will never have any credability again, he'll forever be known for nothing else but this total screw up, the guy should resign, the rest of his career will be hell and fightfully so... I might have felt bad but his attitude on the field after the call just proved exactly why he blew the call, the arrogance was revolting.

Dagmar
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
The dude will never have any credability again, he'll forever be known for nothing else but this total screw up, the guy should resign, the rest of his career will be hell and fightfully so... I might have felt bad but his attitude on the field after the call just proved exactly why he blew the call, the arrogance was revolting.

Hoculi came back, he almost cost the Chargers a playoff berth.

Dagmar
06-02-2010, 07:08 PM
SI_PeterKing: Great moment. Jim Joyce apologizes to Galarraga, Galarraga accepts, they hug. Class by Joyce, incredible class by kid.

He's probaby waiting until the cameras are gone, then the entire team will beat the life out of Joyce in the parking lot. http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/nodding.gif

Dedhed
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM

I agree, he shouldn't lose his job, he should be fired upon by rifles.

That is pitiful.

extralife
06-02-2010, 07:26 PM
All of this can blow over if baseball does the right thing and records this as a perfect game. Of course, it's baseball--good luck.

Doggcow
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
All of this can blow over if baseball does the right thing and records this as a perfect game. Of course, it's baseball--good luck.

And allows replay.

For ****s sake.

theAPAOps5
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM

No it won't, it would be an asterisk perfect game and with youtube and all the technology it can't be buried away.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 07:37 PM
my thought is, he has 26 out, how is he gonna call the "safe" play giving it to the runner? theres one out left in the entire game and its 3-0, hes going for a perfect game, the "safe" call is not to ruin the kids achievement because you cant make a call you are confident with.

Drek
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
What should happen: MLB corrects the box score to award the perfect game. Jim Joyce is demoted to minor league work for several months during which he'll be graded and needs to work his way back to the majors like anyone else. MLB adds instant replay ASAP in close and late situations like this. Just have a guy in a booth watch the replays, put a bug in the home play ump's ear and let him know when a call should be reviewed/overturned. The hubris of MLB's officiating is reaching an all time high this season, with umps tossing players for next to nothing, calling balks that make no sense, having wildly inconsistent strike zones, and then acting like they're completely in the right for all the **** they're ****ing up on the field. MLB needs to act ****ing fast. But they won't because Bud Selig might just be the worst commissioner in pro sports.

DivineBronco
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
What should happen: MLB corrects the box score to award the perfect game. Jim Joyce is demoted to minor league work for several months during which he'll be graded and needs to work his way back to the majors like anyone else. MLB adds instant replay ASAP in close and late situations like this. Just have a guy in a booth watch the replays, put a bug in the home play ump's ear and let him know when a call should be reviewed/overturned. The hubris of MLB's officiating is reaching an all time high this season, with umps tossing players for next to nothing, calling balks that make no sense, having wildly inconsistent strike zones, and then acting like they're completely in the right for all the **** they're ****ing up on the field. MLB needs to act ****ing fast. But they won't because Bud Selig might just be the worst commissioner in pro sports.

I agree with 99% of that..........as awful as Selig is Gary Bettman is half a tard and how he has kept his job this long is a freakin miracle

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 08:09 PM

we all know it was a perfect game, but what sucks is after his call, which was official, it WASNT a perfect game. even if they correct it, it will always be the one perfect game that had to be changed. i dont even know if they can change the box score after the fact.

boltaneer
06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Armando Galarraga was all class during his locker room interview.

Jim Joyce was broken up after the game and sought Galarraga out to apologize and tell him that he blew the call....sounds like the dude was pretty much in tears.

If he knew he blew the call, why didn't he reverse it? Or did he realize this after the game (and after seeing a replay?).

Broncobiv
06-02-2010, 08:16 PM
If he knew he blew the call, why didn't he reverse it? Or did he realize this after the game (and after seeing a replay?).
He didn't see the replay until after the game. Far too late to change the call. Hell after the next batter went up there, it was too late to change the call.

boltaneer
06-02-2010, 08:20 PM
He didn't see the replay until after the game. Far too late to change the call. Hell after the next batter went up there, it was too late to change the call.

Gotcha. Definitely another reason MLB to join the 21st century and add instant replay then.

Baseball has been on a downhill slide as far as I'm concerned for over a decade now at least. I used to be a big fan when I was a kid but it's hard to respect a league where the commissioner is a joke.

I don't see how the sport has remained as popular as it has.

Rabb
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM

absolutely yes

it is clear what happened, the commish could overturn this if he wanted to and he should

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
There has only been 20 perfect games in the history of major league baseball....since 1876.

There has never been a perfect game in the 110 year history of the Detroit Tigers.

DomCasual
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I just don't get it. The play at 1st base is almost never missed. It's uncanny how much they get it right, even on the closest plays. And he started to call him out. If it's close in this case, you give him the benefit of the doubt. It's an historic moment. You CANNOT err on the side of the runner there.

And the thing was, it wasn't all that close.

What in the world happened? Joyce says he's sick over it. He should be.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I just don't get it. The play at 1st base is almost never missed. It's uncanny how much they get it right, even on the closest plays. And he started to call him out. If it's close in this case, you give him the benefit of the doubt. It's an historic moment. You CANNOT err on the side of the runner there.

And the thing was, it wasn't all that close.

What in the world happened? Joyce says he's sick over it. He should be.

I'm guessing that like players, an ump can choke under the pressure and make the wrong call in a crucial situation....you're right though, that is a play that is called correctly 9,999 out of 10,000 times.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Overlooked in all of this is the sweet catch made by rookie CF Austin Jackson in the 9th inning to keep the perfect game intact:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTBVo8L94gM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTBVo8L94gM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BroncoLifer
06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I will never acknowledge that the SF Steroid Freak (or his giant head) is the Home Run King & I will always consider that Galarraga just threw the 21st perfect game in MLB history.

Just my try at a little justice in an unjust world.....

Broncobiv
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I feel so bad for the kid. That about sums it up...I just feel so bad for him.

I certainly don't think the umpire should be fired or fined or anything. That's ridiculous. Every ump makes mistakes. This one just happened to be at one of the worst possible times! He immediately admitted his mistake and apologized to Galarraga after he saw replays. He feels like ****, as he should. But to punish him for the mistake? Of course not.

Bottom line...it's just a sad situation all around. A sad, sad situation.

Doggcow
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Record Book should say 21* Perfect Games

*Joyce ****ed up

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Umpire admits he cost Tigers' Galarraga perfect game

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Jim Joyce was like a person at fault in an accident scene, his emotional state chaotic and distraught.

He paced back and forth in the umpire's clubhouse at Comerica Park. His big arms were folded tight, like a straitjacket, against his chest. His face was flushed red. His tongue did its best to chop an umpire into pieces, which is where Joyce's psyche lay minutes after Wednesday night's near-perfect game by Armando Galarraga.

Near-perfect when it was clearly perfect.

"I missed it, I missed it," Joyce barked, his voice at the extreme end of anguished.

"I took a perfect game from that kid who pitched a perfect game.

"It was the biggest call of my career and I kicked the (stuff) out of it.

"I'm sorry. I had a great angle and I missed the call."

It was the kind of call Joyce, 54, who has been one of the game's better umpires for 23 years, has made a thousand times.

Mistakes are brutal. Mistakes that come from an Edgar Allan Poe manuscript are indescribably cruel.

Joyce's imperfect act that ruined a perfect game came with two out in the ninth, after Galarraga had put somehow put away 26 consecutive Cleveland Indians batters. He was ready to put a flourish on history, on a previously unremarkable career that was about to slip into baseball lore, when he got Jason Donald to smack a grounder between first base and second.

Miguel Cabrera snared the ball, waited a split-second to line up Galarraga, who was a few feet from history. Cabrera threw neatly to his soon-to-be celebrity teammate as Galarraga stepped on the bag, a split-second ahead of Donald's foot.

Joyce's hands, palms-down, stretched left and right.

"Safe!"

And at that moment, hellfire descended on Comerica Park's infield. As quickly as television replays confirmed what Joyce's blunder ruined, an umpire's nightmare began.

Galarraga got the final out of a 3-0 Tigers victory and, in an instant, Tigers manager Jim Leyland was breathing fire into Joyce's face, as were Tigers players, who came dangerously close to having a physical confrontation with an umpire whose name was about to know infamy.

"I really thought he beat the ball," Joyce said, speaking of Donald as he continued to pace 5 feet one way, 5 another, over and over, his crew members sitting silently at a nearby table.

"At that time I thought he beat the ball. I asked the guy in the (video) room to cue up the play as soon as we got in here.

"And I missed it from here to that wall."

Joyce had the appearance of a man who had done something far worse than make a mistake in a baseball game. He was inconsolable. He ripped at himself mercilessly. He would not hear about the game being human, about people being fallible.

"I don't blame the Tigers for anything that was said after the game," he said. "If I had been Galarraga, I would have been the first one in my face."

"And he never said a word to me. I don't blame one person for their reaction.

"This wasn't a call," Joyce said, emphasizing the third word. "This was a history call. And I kicked the (stuff) out of it."

Joyce later met with Galarraga, who said, "He probably feels more bad than me. Nobody's perfect. Everybody's human. I understand. I give the guy a lot of credit for saying, 'I need to talk to you.' You don't see an umpire tell you that after a game. I gave him a hug."

Joyce was asked if he had not come to terms with the perils of a profession where mistakes are displayed on a grand stage. He had to have known about Don Denkinger's grief when Denkinger blew a call that cost the St. Louis Cardinals the 1985 World Series.

"I've never been through anything like this," Joyce said, his voice quivering. "I worked with Don Denkinger, and I know what he went through, but I've ever had a moment like this."

Joyce stopped pacing. He stood for a moment, listening to someone's reminder that far more heartbreaking mistakes are made by other people each day. He turned to head for the shower. And he broke down.

Leyland heard about Joyce's psychological state in the Tigers clubhouse.

"I gotta get over there," the Tigers manager said, heading for the doorway, and for the tunnel leading to the umpire's dressing room.

Leyland returned 15 minutes later.

"He's better now," the manager said, forgiving an umpire who could not forgive himself.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I feel bad for Jim Joyce....he admitted his mistake, felt terrible about it, and did not avoid the scrutiny.

Los Broncos
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow how did he miss that one, feel bad for the pitcher.

RMT
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM

that is totally $h!t. he gained credibility for accepting responsibility. sure he blew the call, but he least he is conscientious about the mistake. if he were defiant, aloof, and indifferent then people would have a case for calling for his head.

but in the spotlight the umpire has been all class. you have your head up your a$$.

houghtam
06-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I feel bad for Jim Joyce....he admitted his mistake, felt terrible about it, and did not avoid the scrutiny.

Lifelong Tigers fan here, saw the play live, knew he was safe.

Feel bad for Joyce, feel worse for Galarraga. Joyce shouldn't be fined, fired, or disciplined.

Replay should be used on any play that makes the difference between "safe" and "out", as well as any homerun (as it is currently).

However, it should NOT be used for balls and strikes, one reason being that every batter's strike zone is different. In MLB human umpires are part of the game, and pitchers need to deal with it.

houghtam
06-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Horse manure. Unfortunately, no one will remember this a month from now, let alone a year from now.

I do agree with people that say this should simply be awarded as a no-hitter, especially since it won't affect anything except one person's stat line. Unfortunately with an organization so rigid as MLB, that won't happen, either.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Feel bad for Joyce, feel worse for Galarraga. Joyce shouldn't be fined, fired, or disciplined.

Replay should be used on any play that makes the difference between "safe" and "out", as well as any homerun (as it is currently).

However, it should NOT be used for balls and strikes, one reason being that every batter's strike zone is different. In MLB human umpires are part of the game, and pitchers need to deal with it.

You were at the game tonight?

I pretty much agree with everything you said.....but I think you have a typo where you said you knew he was 'safe'.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM

for sure, if they get into checking every pitch to see if its a strike or whatnot, thats getting ridiculous. but to check if a guy who hit the ball was actually out or not? taht should have been instant replay years ago.

Broncobiv
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Horse manure. Unfortunately, no one will remember this a month from now, let alone a year from now.

I do agree with people that say this should simply be awarded as a no-hitter, especially since it won't affect anything except one person's stat line. Unfortunately with an organization so rigid as MLB, that won't happen, either.

I think you mean a perfect game. :approve:

houghtam
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
You were at the game tonight?

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Naw I wish. I should have said watched the game live (on TV).

I WILL be at the Tigers @ Braves games later this month, as I live in Atlanta now.

I have a great feeling about this team this year though...and this is just the sort of thing that can make a team better over the longrun.

houghtam
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I think you mean a perfect game. :approve:

True dat, but a square is a rectangle, and a rectangle isn't a square.

Broncobiv
06-02-2010, 09:54 PM
To those people who say that reviewing balls and strikes would add too much time to the game, that's BS. That sort of technology is available right now and could be implemented instantly after every pitch. They show it dozens of times on every broadcast already! Technically, we don't even need a home plate umpire there to call balls and strikes at all.

Note: I'm not advocating this. I don't think we should do away with an umpire calling balls and strikes. I'm just saying that we're already at the point where it would be perfectly plausible to do so.

Broncobiv
06-02-2010, 09:56 PM
True dat, but a square is a rectangle, and a rectangle isn't a square.

Yes, he threw a square, which is much harder than throwing a rectangle! :rofl:

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Naw I wish. I should have said watched the game live (on TV).

I WILL be at the Tigers @ Braves games later this month, as I live in Atlanta now.

I have a great feeling about this team this year though...and this is just the sort of thing that can make a team better over the longrun.

I watched the game from start to finish and AG was magic tonight.

I like the makeup of the team this year....they are better than I thought they would be....but 7-8-9 in the lineup is putrid and is where innings go to end.

broncocalijohn
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM

yes he did but how can anyone in that situation make a call anything but out. We are talking a perfect game here and the play is close enough (and of course we have seen that it was an out) to make the glory call of OUT! Once again, we do not go to the games to see the umpires.

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
yes he did but how can anyone in that situation make a call anything but out. We are talking a perfect game here and the play is close enough (and of course we have seen that it was an out) to make the glory call of OUT! Once again, we do not go to the games to see the umpires.

I agree 100%....he absolutely, positively, **** the bed.

strafen
06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
That call was aweful. History was denied!

broncocalijohn
06-02-2010, 10:15 PM
i really want to see what, if anything, the MLB will do to recognize gallarraga..

he will get player of the week and that is it. What else do you think he deserves? He pitched a one hitter. It sucks but it will go down in the books as a one hitter. Milt Pappas had a perfect game with one batter to go and the ump called a borderline pitch a ball and dude walks. He still got his no hitter but umps are part of this game.

broncocalijohn
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM

No way! Doug Eddings will always be remembered by us Angels fans for blowing that strike out call vs the White Sox in the Championship game. **** that guy. That call was the worst because it had nothing to do with an opinion. Dude made up his own rule and interpetation. Tigers fans will remember this for a long time. At least it didnt cost you a playoff game.

houghtam
06-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I watched the game from start to finish and AG was magic tonight.

I like the makeup of the team this year....they are better than I thought they would be....but 7-8-9 in the lineup is putrid and is where innings go to end.

Having lived through every minute of the 90s, "better than I thought they would be" is fan-freaking-tastic.

boltaneer
06-03-2010, 12:22 AM

I don't know about that.

Everyone still remember the Hochuli call, I'm sure.

houghtam
06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't know about that.

Everyone still remember the Hochuli call, I'm sure.

There aren't 162 games in an NFL season.

TDmvp
06-03-2010, 02:14 AM
One of the saddest things in sports I have ever seen ... A kid robbed of being immortal.

As someone who used to love baseball and lost the bug during the strike year IF this doesn't get them to fix their lame @$$ replay rules nothing will ...

They should appeal and the MLB should change it to a perfect game ...

Ill say one thing the kid took it with class and his interview where he talks about the ump coming to him and saying sorry was moving... Classy of the ump even if it's his fault...

Crappy ran sport tho ...

boltaneer
06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
There aren't 162 games in an NFL season.

The number of games is irrelevant because I don't even follow baseball closely anymore.

There are simple bad calls and then there are calls like this (or Hochuli) which you cannot fathom how a experienced professional could just completely miss.

This wasn't like one of those super close calls where you the fan says, "he was out" and then after the replay you go, "oh, wow, he was safe. Good call, ump." This was easy. Brain dead easy call. You could have seen that he was safe from the worst seat in the stadium.

That's why this one will not be easy to forget.

TheChamp24
06-03-2010, 10:16 AM
It was a bad call, but refs/umps make them because they can't be perfect. I am in favor of adding replays, but not to balls/strikes.

Doggcow
06-03-2010, 10:50 AM
The number of games is irrelevant because I don't even follow baseball closely anymore.

There are simple bad calls and then there are calls like this (or Hochuli) which you cannot fathom how a experienced professional could just completely miss.

This wasn't like one of those super close calls where you the fan says, "he was out" and then after the replay you go, "oh, wow, he was safe. Good call, ump." This was easy. Brain dead easy call. You could have seen that he was safe from the worst seat in the stadium.

That's why this one will not be easy to forget.

Hochuli.

Still burns?

bronco militia
06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Hochuli.

Still burns?

even replay couldn't fix Ed's call....nice work NFL! :D

boltaneer
06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Hochuli.

Still burns?

Nah.

It would have still burned had that call cost the Chargers the playoffs.

The point is that it was one of the worst calls that I have ever seen, just like this Joyce call. And those, you just don't forget.

BroncoLifer
06-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Selig will not reverse the call.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5248118

crawdad
06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Selig will not reverse the call.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5248118

And rightfully he shouldn't reverse the call. Can you imagine the barrel of worms that would open up? Joyce is human and made a mistake and hell people are threatening his family. It's too bad it happened in this circumstance and if Joyce thought about it I am sure he was thinking this was an automatic out and threw up the wrong signal. In this case, as BCJ said, it should have been automatic. Too close to call him safe. I feel for Gallaraga but he is a stand up guy and handled it very professionally.

SouthStndJunkie
06-06-2010, 05:30 PM
NSFW (language):

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZvXJsm6GxM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZvXJsm6GxM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>