View Full Version : Broncos jazzed over aggressive "D"

oubronco
06-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Broncos jazzed over aggressive "D"

By Lindsay H. Jones.

The Denver Post

Posted: 06/02/2010 02:28:14 PM MDT
Updated: 06/02/2010 02:48:15 PM MDT

Former Dolphin Akin Ayodele (51) says he's eager to play in a Broncos defense he thinks will be very aggressive under new defensive coordinator Don Martindale.

The Broncos hit the midway point of their offseason practice schedule Wednesday, and several defensive players said they can already tell the defense under new coordinator Don "Wink" Martindale is going to be aggressive.

"I like it, it is early but so far Wink really has an understanding of the guys he has on this team defensively," linebacker Akin Ayodele said. "He has a good sense of who he wants to bring, how he wants to attack coverage."

Ayodele, who signed with the Broncos in late April after starting 28 games over the last two seasons in Miami, said he can tell Martindale likes to blitz. The defense first was allowed to practice those pressures against the Broncos offense last week.

"If you want to win football games you have to have an attitude, and that's what I'm seeing," defensive end Jarvis Green said.

The Broncos have two more days of voluntary organized team activities this week and three next week before the team holds its only mandatory minicamp from June 11-13.

With three new starting defensive linemen, a handful of new linebackers and defensive backs, this time has been crucial, players said, not just for learning, but also for getting a head start on position battles.

New cornerback Nate Jones, who signed as a free agent from Miami, knows he's going to be in one of the most competitive battles for the nickel corner role. He'll compete along with second-year players Alphonso Smith and Tony Carter, as well as rookie draft picks Perrish Cox and Syd'Quan Thompson.

"The team I was on last year drafted two corners in the first round. That's the league, that's what happens," Jones said. "I have something I can bring to this team, whether it is special teams or (defensive) packages."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Let's all hope the defense is aggressive and last's all season

SonOfLe-loLang
06-02-2010, 05:29 PM
"this year, we're letting the defensive line loose!"

sisterhellfyre
06-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Who let the dogs out. Woof.

Caveat Lector
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I thought the whole reason McDaniels soured on Nolan was because he blitzed too much...

KipCorrington25
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
It's a broken record, we get this same article every off season about the new D coordinator...

I'll believe it when I see it through 16 games.

Mogulseeker
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't remember an offseason without a "we're gonna be aggressive" story from the defense.

Sodak
06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Be Aggressive, B-E Aggressive. B-E-A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!

I've been hearing that crap since grade school.

I want to see it now.

Ray Finkle
06-02-2010, 06:40 PM
no more run blitzes and I will be happy.....that is why Nolan is gone....

Florida_Bronco
06-02-2010, 06:53 PM
It's a broken record, we get this same article every off season about the new D coordinator...

No. Nolan was never known for doing much blitzing. He came to Denver and Josh made him start throwing more blitzes in.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I thought the whole reason McDaniels soured on Nolan was because he blitzed too much...

thats some BS that people like jamie dukes spouted off. mcdaniels said we can expect to see MORE blitzing this year.

DenverBrit
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM

I recall an early interview with Nolan where he said that McD wanted an aggressive defense and that's what he'll try and implement.

Apparently, either it wasn't aggressive enough for McD or it was too aggressive for Nolan. ???

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I recall an early interview with Nolan where he said that McD wanted an aggressive defense and that's what he'll try and implement.

Apparently, either it wasn't aggressive enough for McD or it was too aggressive for Nolan. ???

id say a bit of both, mcdaniels def pointed out earlier this offseason we will be blitzing more, and the blitzing most definitely slowed down the 2nd half of last season, so just the philosophical difference as well as conflicting micro managing personalities just meant that they knew they should both move on.

Kaylore
06-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Nolan isn't a big blitz guy. Never has been. He prefers to teach sound technique and have his guy beat their guy. I'm not against that, in principle, but Nolan kept things a bit too vanilla and sometimes you need to force their hands. We have a veteran secondary that is smart and won't miss too many assignments. I say lean on them and blitz.

Ray Finkle
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Nolan isn't a big blitz guy. Never has been. He prefers to teach sound technique and have his guy beat their guy. I'm not against that, in principle, but Nolan kept things a bit too vanilla and sometimes you need to force their hands. We have a veteran secondary that is smart and won't miss too many assignments. I say lean on them and blitz.

Now you know why Dan Snyder put a melted carton of Vanilla Ice Cream outside his office when he was with the Skins.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Now you know why Dan Snyder put a melted carton of Vanilla Ice Cream outside his office when he was with the Skins.

totally just googled this tosee if its true...

Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder, the story goes, placed a carton of vanilla ice cream in Nolan's office, where it was allowed to melt into a sticky mess. The mean-spirited prank underscored the owner's criticism of his defensive coordinator's read-and-react philosophy, which Snyder had termed "vanilla."

That story was considered just another in the Snyder-as-meddling-owner file. But it's worth remembering now. Because Nolan's philosophy and his defense's inability to make the big stop and get off the field all of that is bringing back the images of vanilla ice cream.

pretty obvious now why him and mcdaniels didnt get along, nolan is not an aggressive DC and thats what mcd wants.

FireFly
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I can't remember an offseason without a "we're gonna be aggressive" story from the defense.

I was thinking the exact same thing and quite frankly being aggressive isn't everything anyhow. Over blitzing can be exploited, just like over doing anything. Being TOO aggressive on a play is generally going to be a bad thing.

I'd be hoping for a balanced defence that used situational blitzing with a few wrinkles thrown in for good measure. A well prepared defence that knows when and how to use aggression is better by far imo.

NFLBRONCO
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM

No doubt I'm tired of hearing this same thing every year. I'd love to have a DC that coaches here three seasons in a row.

Broncojef
06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Until we get a big name player in the middle and a leader this Defense will be the same. Every year we have a chance to grab a playmaker in the middle and fail...maybe next year.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Turning the d-line loose!!!

BMarsh615
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM

As I was told by several players, the beginning of the end for Nolan was the Indianapolis Colts' game the 13th of the season. To review, the Broncos carried an 8-4 record into that game, having won their last two. McDaniels won the coin toss, deferred, and then Peyton Manning put the Colts up 21-0 after three possessions.

During that 21-0 blitzkrieg, Nolan called some plays particularly the run-blitz that McDaniels didn't like. The hostile way McDaniels handled that communication breakdown was not well-received by Nolan. A month and four consecutive losses later, Nolan and McDaniels mutually agreed to part ways, without much comment.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15205066

HEAV
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Run blitz.

McDaniels wanted the less run blitz'n called.

He has no issue with attacking the QB.

strafen
06-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Traditionally, we've never been known for our defensive prowess. We can have a year or two with a good defensive system and what have you, but I don't recall ever having a long-standing dominant defense.

That said, this year we will have to see before we can start making anything out of this year's defense.
We look good in the secondary, we look good on the defensive front -at least on paper- questioning linebackers corp, and a new enthusiastic D-coach yet to prove himself on Sundays when it counts.
Not sure about Martingdale's experience in the 3-4 defense, though...
I think the bulk of his career has been coaching 4-3 schemes...

I think we'll be ok with superior passing defense more so than a rushing defense.
I'll be happy with ranked 15th or better defense

worm
06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Traditionally, we've never been known for our defensive prowess.

http://www.emergingcity.com/images/OrangeCrushFinal.jpg

strafen
06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.emergingcity.com/images/OrangeCrushFinal.jpgI know the orange crush defense was famous, and a very good unit indeed.
What I mant to say was that defense is not a part of our identity as it is to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, TB, Chicago, etc...
I think we've been well-balanced team in our best years of our history...

ZONA
06-03-2010, 01:18 AM
The problem is, the Broncos D being aggressive hasn't really been the issue. The defense has been able to get sacks, plays in the negative. It's getting off the field on 3rd down that they've struggled with.

Dutch
06-03-2010, 07:47 AM
I know the orange crush defense was famous, and a very good unit indeed.
What I mant to say was that defense is not a part of our identity as it is to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, TB, Chicago, etc...I think we've been well-balanced team in our best years of our history...

I don't agree. Prior to Elway and with the exception of Floyd Little, Defense was all we were known for. I remember just how popular Joe Collier was around Denver, and for good reason. For decades our D was all we could count on. Everone talks about the three Superbowls that John "carried" us to, the only problem I have with that is our Defense had just as much to do with us playing in those games.

Jason in LA
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM

Yep, same thing I thought. Another puff piece. Every player is going to say how great the new system is.

HEAV
06-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by strafen
Traditionally, we've never been known for our defensive prowess.

More proof that strafen is full of Sh*t.

fontaine
06-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Well I do like the D system in place and if we're going to be more aggressive then I'm all for it because we've got the secondary to handle that extra pressure.

The question as always is whether we've got the talent among the front 7 to execute it.

Cito Pelon
06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't agree. Prior to Elway and with the exception of Floyd Little, Defense was all we were known for. I remember just how popular Joe Collier was around Denver, and for good reason. For decades our D was all we could count on. Everone talks about the three Superbowls that John "carried" us to, the only problem I have with that is our Defense had just as much to do with us playing in those games.

This is true, but Denver hasn't had the dominating type of D for what, 15-20years? Shanny tried very,very hard to build the D but unfortunately many of the players he acquired didn't work out. Shanny drafted a lot of players high on the D side, as well as some big splashes in FA.

Eric Brown, Kenoy Kennedy both 2nd rounders. Dale Carter, IHOP, Willie a 1st rounder, Toviessi a 2nd rounder, Ian Gold a 2nd rounder, Paymah & LeSeur 3rd rounders, Terry Pierce 2nd rounder, Dorsett Davis 3d rounder, Deltha 1st rounder, Chris Watson 3rd rounder.

Plenty of other D draftees by Shanny in the 3rd, 4th, 5th that never worked out - about 7 of them. Shanny tried like hell to build the D though, just didn't work out the way he planned.

McXanders record drafting for D is yet to be seen, and they drafted D high 2009, three of the first four picks were D players. Their FA D acquisitions have payed off ok.

I would certainly like to see Denver again have a dominant D, been a long time since we had one. Some of the youngsters from 2009 might lead to that - Ayers, Bruton, McBath, Phonz. Maybe even some of the draftees in 2010. Elvis certainly worked out well.