PDA

View Full Version : Royal to do some damage in 2010

dbfan21
06-02-2010, 07:29 AM
I didn't see this posted anywhere, so here it goes. Nice comments from Ed Thompson, from Scouts.com who wrote the piece for FoxSports.com:

:strong:
Point No. 7: I can't wait to see the damage that Eddie Royal is going to do out of the slot in Denver this year.

After a sensational rookie season back in 2008, Royal failed to put up big numbers during 12 starts in 2009. The intelligent and hard-working receiver caught 91 passes for 980 yards in his debut season, but only nabbed 37 for 345 yards last year while adjusting to new head coach Josh McDaniel's system and the team's new quarterback, Kyle Orton.

During the team's recent OTAs, Royal worked out of the slot--a position that is much better suited to the 5-foot-10, 182-pound receiver's skill set. Ironically, he's only been targeted eight times over the past two seasons in then middle of the field, but he averaged 10.8 yards on his five catches when given the opportunity. With his quickness off the line and snappy route-running, Royal should prove to be a dangerous weapon out of the slot. Over the past two seasons, he's gained 36% of his receiving yards after making the catch.

"It's Eddie's second year now (in the system), and Eddie is doing some good things for us," McDaniels said earlier this week.

Orton understood the challenge that Royal faced last season, and believes he's going to get back into the groove his groove this season.

"I think for the receivers last year, it was enough to learn one spot, and we asked Eddie to learn a lot of different spots. I think sometimes that might have slowed him down a little bit, just thinking about everything so much," the Broncos quarterback explained. "Eddie's a unique receiver. Some guys are built for the slot, some guys are built for outside, and Eddie can really move around and do a lot of different things. I know Eddie does want to be a great slot receiver, he really does, and we talk about it every day. He's working on that and he's going to get there."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/white-russell-teamless-without-future-053010

fontaine
06-02-2010, 07:34 AM
It's kinda funny that we've only managed to hang onto the least productive skill position player from what was supposed to be our core offense with Cutler/Scheff/Marshall/Royal.

dbfan21
06-02-2010, 07:37 AM
It's kinda funny that we've only managed to hang onto the least productive skill position player from what was supposed to be our core offense with Cutler/Scheff/Marshall/Royal.

I would argue that Royal has been more productive than Scheffler. His affect on ST's make him valuable, too. He got lost in the mess last year, but I always thought if he played the Welker role in our offense, he'd kill it! I think he's going to have a great year.

fontaine
06-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I would argue that Royal has been more productive than Scheffler. His affect on ST's make him valuable, too. He got lost in the mess last year, but I always thought if he played the Welker role in our offense, he'd kill it! I think he's going to have a great year.

I doubt it. Our offense is shaping up to be one of the worst we've had in years.

bronclvr
06-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Where does that leave Stokely?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-02-2010, 07:44 AM
I doubt it. Our offense is shaping up to be one of the worst we've had in years.

http://wingnight.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/debbie-downer.jpg

dbfan21
06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Where does that leave Stokely?

In either a back-up role or on another roster.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Based on a couple weeks of OTAs?

Crushisback
06-02-2010, 07:58 AM

Yeah this really sucks! I miss winning all those games and going to the playoffs with those guys.

kamakazi_kal
06-02-2010, 08:00 AM
please tell me we are not gearing up for another season of bubble screens. The last few weeks of last season that seemed like the entire game plan.

Royal is currently our best WR so I hope he's looking good.

fontaine
06-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Based on a couple weeks of OTAs?

Nah, not at all. We don't have any difference makers on offense any more.

Every team has it's share of hard working, potentially very good players on offense but it's the offenses that usually have the most difference makers that get the job done, especially late in the season.

We've got unproven or mediocre WRs.
Questions about the interior of our OL, with a new Center.
No genuine pass catching TEs and a QB who's a game manager, not a big play guy.

9 out of 10 defenses in the league can and will stop our offense by loading up against the run and daring us to pass the ball 7/8 times a drive or by hitting them up deep for a quick strike. We can't do neither.

I'm not being a pessimist or an optimist. I'm just looking at it from a defense's point of view.

There's nobody on this offense can threaten a defense and is a matchup nightmare. No one.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
please tell me we are not gearing up for another season of bubble screens. The last few weeks of last season that seemed like the entire game plan.

Royal is currently our best WR so I hope he's looking good.

I think youre thinking of 2008. Jeremy Bubble Screen Bates

Br0nc0Buster
06-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Every team has it's share of hard working, potentially very good players on offense but it's the offenses that usually have the most difference makers that get the job done, especially late in the season.

9 out of 10 defenses in the league can and will stop our offense by loading up against the run and daring us to pass the ball 7/8 times a drive or by hitting them up deep for a quick strike. We can't do neither.

I'm not being a pessimist or an optimist. I'm just looking at it from a defense's point of view.

There's nobody on this offense can threaten a defense and is a matchup nightmare. No one.

Thomas was drafted for just that purpose
besides its not like Marshall was an elite deep threat himself
its possible our offense could be worse
but its also possible with the "additions" to the oline, and the players being more familiar with the offense, that it will offset Marshall's departure

fontaine
06-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Thomas was drafted for just that purpose
besides its not like Marshall was an elite deep threat himself
its possible our offense could be worse
but its also possible with the "additions" to the oline, and the players being more familiar with the offense, that it will offset Marshall's departure

So you're saying our difference maker is a rookie WR with a foot injury that's kept him from practicing full speed so far?

Yeah, that pretty much proves my point.

kamakazi_kal
06-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I think youre thinking of 2008. Jeremy Bubble Screen Bates

no ..... no ...... last year for sure. run right for 1yd, run middle no gain. bubble screen to marshall .... punt.

Kaylore
06-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I hope Royal can improve. I also hope we put someone else at kick returner. We need someone who doesn't run scared.

CEH
06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Marshall may not have been a deep threat like Moss but from 60 yards and in he could go the distance at any time and did many times starting with the SEA game his rookie year.

Many here would be happy with DT sitting and healing because Josh has a two year window. Not me I want the kid in there at the start of TC

Gaffney had 213 yards the last game and I can't remember one pass to him becuase he wasn't a threat to do anything with the ball after the catch.

dbfan21
06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Marshall may not have been a deep threat like Moss but from 60 yards and in he could go the distance at any time and did many times starting with the SEA game his rookie year.

Many here would be happy with DT sitting and healing because Josh has a two year window. Not me I want the kid in there at the start of TC

Gaffney had 213 yards the last game and I can't remember one pass to him becuase he wasn't a threat to do anything with the ball after the catch.

I think you can;t remember much of Gaffney because you were still in shock that our D couldn't stop the Chefs running attack. That game was flat-out pathetic!

gyldenlove
06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I think you can;t remember much of Gaffney because you were still in shock that our D couldn't stop the Chefs running attack. That game was flat-out pathetic!

Now you are being kind, that game was worse than pathetic.

Que
06-02-2010, 09:38 AM
I would argue that Royal has been more productive than Scheffler. His affect on ST's make him valuable, too.

This.

Broncoman13
06-02-2010, 09:45 AM

So tell me, at the beginning of the 2009 season, who did the Ravens have on offense that was a "difference maker"?

How about the Chefs?

Both had young RBs that before the season were viewed as potentially solid starters. By the end of 2009, Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles were household names and breaking off 150-200 yard games. Both of them were in their first year of prominent roles after having relatively rough rookie years. While I don't think that Knowshon's rookie year was a bust (good numbers) I would say he had some troubles adjusting to the NFL. This year, it's fair to expect him to be a solid starter and it's not overly-optimistic to think he could run for 1400 and 15 TDs.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-02-2010, 10:15 AM
They're turning the d-line - er, Royal - loose!

Br0nc0Buster
06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
So you're saying our difference maker is a rookie WR with a foot injury that's kept him from practicing full speed so far?

Yeah, that pretty much proves my point.

Thomas was drafted to be a deep threat, he doesnt have to be a seasoned veteran to be a mismatch for safeties when he is streaking down the field

you are making the mistake of assuming we must replace Brandon Marshall to field a successful offense
Brandon never got over 100 yards in any of our wins, as good as he is, the offense functions better when the ball is spread out

You say we lost Marshall and Scheffler so our passing game will suck
ok
we also more than likely upgraded the offensive line, which should make for a more efficient running game
we also added talent to the receiver position, it may not offset the loss of Marshall, but we added guys with different skillsets that may of been lacking last year
and finally Wes Welker himself said it took him a year before he was comfortable in Josh's offense, increased efficiency is very possible with more familiarity in the offense

My point is there are too many ?s to definitively say one way or another how the offense will turn out
I just as many possible and perhaps even probable positives to offset the perceived negatives

Paladin
06-02-2010, 12:45 PM

Go take a hit, man. You need it. You are so pathetic.......

fontaine
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
So tell me, at the beginning of the 2009 season, who did the Ravens have on offense that was a "difference maker"?

How about the Chefs?

Both had young RBs that before the season were viewed as potentially solid starters. By the end of 2009, Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles were household names and breaking off 150-200 yard games. Both of them were in their first year of prominent roles after having relatively rough rookie years. While I don't think that Knowshon's rookie year was a bust (good numbers) I would say he had some troubles adjusting to the NFL. This year, it's fair to expect him to be a solid starter and it's not overly-optimistic to think he could run for 1400 and 15 TDs.

I think Moreno will have a good season.

I don't think he's a difference maker though, especially considering how mediocre our interior OL is.

Let's be honest here. Is he a threat to take it to the house any given game? Is he a threat to break tackles, catch the ball on a quick throw to the flat and rumble for 20+ yards?

fontaine
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Go take a hit, man. You need it. You are so pathetic.......

It's posts like this that make it hard to find quality football discussion around here.

I didn't berate any player, or coach, or any of the offseason moves. I just plainly stated how our offense looks on paper from an opposing defense's point of view . . . . .

and you respond with this?

Do me a favor and put me on ignore if you don't want to discuss football so that I don't have to discuss you're soap opera, drama queen bullsh*t.

fontaine
06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Thomas was drafted to be a deep threat, he doesnt have to be a seasoned veteran to be a mismatch for safeties when he is streaking down the field

True enough.

you are making the mistake of assuming we must replace Brandon Marshall to field a successful offense
Brandon never got over 100 yards in any of our wins, as good as he is, the offense functions better when the ball is spread out

You say we lost Marshall and Scheffler so our passing game will suck
ok
we also more than likely upgraded the offensive line, which should make for a more efficient running game
we also added talent to the receiver position, it may not offset the loss of Marshall, but we added guys with different skillsets that may of been lacking last year
and finally Wes Welker himself said it took him a year before he was comfortable in Josh's offense, increased efficiency is very possible with more familiarity in the offense

My point is there are too many ?s to definitively say one way or another how the offense will turn out
I just as many possible and perhaps even probable positives to offset the perceived negatives

Sure, there are unknowns at this point. And that's what I'm saying. We don't have any game breakers at TE/WR/QB/RB at the moment. We have a lot of young unproven guys or players that can be good in the right situation.

The reason why I say our passing offense will suffer without Marshall is the way our offense functioned last year. It was based around trying to convert 3rd downs by quickly passing the ball to Marshall short of the 1st down marker and expecting him to get the yards after the catch to convert those first downs. We shifted and moved him around and asked him to run different routes to the sidelines, across the middle etc to isolate him on those matchups.

Right now we don't have that kind of setup. Yes, we have some decent prospects and Gaffney/Royal but they are not going to out muscle defenders to get 5-10 yards after the catch. Their game is based on timing and the QB firing the ball in the right window at the right time.

It works if you've got a strong armed QB who can buy time in the pocket and fire the ball accurately in a tight space or an OL that can give the QB that kind of time. We have neither at the moment.

BlaK-Argentina
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
True enough.

Sure, there are unknowns at this point. And that's what I'm saying. We don't have any game breakers at TE/WR/QB/RB at the moment. We have a lot of young unproven guys or players that can be good in the right situation.

The reason why I say our passing offense will suffer without Marshall is the way our offense functioned last year. It was based around trying to convert 3rd downs by quickly passing the ball to Marshall short of the 1st down marker and expecting him to get the yards after the catch to convert those first downs. We shifted and moved him around and asked him to run different routes to the sidelines, across the middle etc to isolate him on those matchups.

Right now we don't have that kind of setup. Yes, we have some decent prospects and Gaffney/Royal but they are not going to out muscle defenders to get 5-10 yards after the catch. Their game is based on timing and the QB firing the ball in the right window at the right time.

It works if you've got a strong armed QB who can buy time in the pocket and fire the ball accurately in a tight space or an OL that can give the QB that kind of time. We have neither at the moment.

This is what bothers me about your posts in this thread. Right now, we have NO IDEA if we have that or not. You don't know until the lights come on. We may have gotten worse... but we could also very well be an improved team, including our offense. We should wait and see before saying we will suck like no other offense.

It's still way too early to make that kind of statement.

mhgaffney
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
The offensive line should gradually improve.

Let's hope Quinn steps up.

Drek
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I think Moreno will have a good season.

I don't think he's a difference maker though, especially considering how mediocre our interior OL is.

Let's be honest here. Is he a threat to take it to the house any given game? Is he a threat to break tackles, catch the ball on a quick throw to the flat and rumble for 20+ yards?

If his MCL is fully healed and he has a full off-season of conditioning? Yes. He is a big play threat.

I swear that people forget who Knowshon Moreno was in college. Guy was only the most exciting every down back since Adrian Peterson, and unlike AP he didn't get hurt all the damn time.

A healthy Moreno is very possibly the second biggest offensive difference maker in this entire division (with the one pro-bowl QB in Rivers being #1).

I also think that assuming the OL will be mediocre is glass half empty thinking at its finest. JD Walton played nearly every game he was eligible to do so at Baylor and kicked ass against solid competition. He set records for pancakes, making those "too weak" knocks ring rather hollow. The 2009 #2 overall pick said he was the best OL on their team during his time there (that #2 overall pick played OT with him, FYI). He's more ready to start at center in this draft than basically every other center in it, including Maurkice Pouncey, the 1st round center who will instead be playing guard for Pittsburgh this year.

Then at OG we have Hochstein on the mend, who was our best starter at LG last year, in a battle with Olsen, Beadles, etc..

We now actually have the size and depth of talent to field some camp competition and produce a worthwhile line. I feel better about that than if we had brought back Hamilton and Weigmann.

DivineLegion
06-02-2010, 08:22 PM

I think you forgot what a healthy Eddie Royal can do. If you forgot go watch him torch Nanmdi, and DeAngelo Hall week one of 2008. My hope is we can find another Kick/Punt returner to keep Eddie Healthy through the season. He's taking way to much a beating for his size IMHO.

Broncobiv
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
The most important question has yet to be addressed:

Does this make Royal a viable WR2 in a PPR fantasy league (mini-Welker)??

fontaine
06-03-2010, 01:32 AM
If his MCL is fully healed and he has a full off-season of conditioning? Yes. He is a big play threat.

I swear that people forget who Knowshon Moreno was in college. Guy was only the most exciting every down back since Adrian Peterson, and unlike AP he didn't get hurt all the damn time.

A healthy Moreno is very possibly the second biggest offensive difference maker in this entire division (with the one pro-bowl QB in Rivers being #1).

I also think that assuming the OL will be mediocre is glass half empty thinking at its finest. JD Walton played nearly every game he was eligible to do so at Baylor and kicked ass against solid competition. He set records for pancakes, making those "too weak" knocks ring rather hollow. The 2009 #2 overall pick said he was the best OL on their team during his time there (that #2 overall pick played OT with him, FYI). He's more ready to start at center in this draft than basically every other center in it, including Maurkice Pouncey, the 1st round center who will instead be playing guard for Pittsburgh this year.

Then at OG we have Hochstein on the mend, who was our best starter at LG last year, in a battle with Olsen, Beadles, etc..

We now actually have the size and depth of talent to field some camp competition and produce a worthwhile line. I feel better about that than if we had brought back Hamilton and Weigmann.

Yes Moreno is going to be a very important player for us and yes he definitely is very talented. However, where we disagree is how effective he's going to be as a big play threat when defenses are going to load up against the run like they did last year.

Like I said last year, Moreno isn't the problem. The problem is going to be how our front five and running game is going to handle 8 defenders against the box when we haven't been able to push the secondary back because people don't respect our intermediate/long passing game.

dbfan21
06-03-2010, 05:46 AM
I think the intermediate/long distance passing game is one of the things that's being worked on this offseason. We've only had one year of McD's offense installed. Let's at least reserve the definitive judgement until the season is over.

I know that this is the time of year in which hope springs eternal, but I feel that this will be a better season for us.

fontaine
06-03-2010, 06:17 AM
I think the intermediate/long distance passing game is one of the things that's being worked on this offseason. We've only had one year of McD's offense installed. Let's at least reserve the definitive judgement until the season is over.

I know that this is the time of year in which hope springs eternal, but I feel that this will be a better season for us.

Yes, the one aspect of Thomas' game that is solid is his ability to go deep and stretch the field. But it's one of those things that actually has to work before teams respect it.

Having him run go routes all game long isn't going to stretch the field, it's attempting to the throw the ball intermediate/long and actually having some success with it that's going to do it. That's going to force defenses to take that extra guy and put him in deep coverage rather than in run support.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, I'm just skeptical it will because we have too many other questions about the OL's ability to pass protect for those longer routes to develop and Orton's ability to get the ball there.

HAT
06-03-2010, 07:04 AM

I doubt it. Denver's offense is shaping up to be one of the best they've had in years.

In fact, I will bet anyone here that the 2010 offense scores more PPG than what the 2006-2009 teams averaged.

El Guapo
06-03-2010, 07:19 AM
I hope Royal explodes (and so does my authentic Royal jersey :D).

dbfan21
06-03-2010, 07:24 AM
I doubt it. Denver's offense is shaping up to be one of the best they've had in years.

In fact, I will bet anyone here that the 2010 offense scores more PPG than what the 2006-2009 teams averaged.

Reppin the avatar HAT!! :thumbsup:

snowspot66
06-03-2010, 09:20 AM

I couldn't disagree if I wanted too. It will only take what 22ppg to do that?

bloodsunday
06-03-2010, 10:18 AM

This is a very good point in an aggregate sense. Who are the playmakers/gamechangers left on our offense (and really the whole team)? I think you can look at each situation individually and understand why the move was made (even if you don't agree with it), but who's going to replace those guys?

Traveler
06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
I still don't understand why people think Marshall was so good. Sure, he had games where he made his presence felt, but he wasn't a game changer by any stretch of the imagination. He wasn't great and neither was Cutler or Scheffler. Talented? Yes, but I want wins. And they didn't produce that many.

Orton tended to rely on Marshall so much, he basically neutered the rest of our WR's. Maybe now they can get everyone else more involved so teams will have to play us more honestly.

I'm still looking at the team as a work in progress. Tearing down and being rebuilt for the long haul. Ridding ourselves of players better suited for an entirely different style of offense is part of the territory when rebuilding IMO.

Jetmeck
06-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Stretch the field with who ? A rook with a bad foot. Orton CANNOT HIT THE DEEP BALL. Every damn time he tried with Marshall, Brandon had to become a defensive player and just try to stop the interception. Quinn you say. LOL. Has more INTs than game starts. Dream on guys. The line will be stacked all day long until we get a decent qb and wr to stretch the field.

OOPS we had both.

BlaK-Argentina
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Stretch the field with who ? A rook with a bad foot. Orton CANNOT HIT THE DEEP BALL. Every damn time he tried with Marshall, Brandon had to become a defensive player and just try to stop the interception. Quinn you say. LOL. Has more INTs than game starts. Dream on guys. The line will be stacked all day long until we get a decent qb and wr to stretch the field.

OOPS we had both.

Jake Plummer and Ashley Lelie?

BroncoMan4ever
06-03-2010, 03:02 PM

i would wager Royal has a more productive season than Marshall in 2010, whoever starts at QB is better than Cutler and Branson does more for the team at TE/H-Back that Scheff did last season.

HAT
06-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I couldn't disagree if I wanted too. It will only take what 22ppg to do that?

Exactly. :thumbs:

strafen
06-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah this really sucks! I miss winning all those games and going to the playoffs with those guys.Nice!
It wasn't because our offense with "those guys" we didn't go to the playoffs, was it?
If I recall, it's been our defense that's killed all of our chances...

strafen
06-03-2010, 09:10 PM
i would wager Royal has a more productive season than Marshall in 2010, whoever starts at QB is better than Cutler and Branson does more for the team at TE/H-Back that Scheff did last season.Wishful thinking. That's all it is...

listopencil
06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I still don't understand why people think Marshall was so good. Sure, he had games where he made his presence felt, but he wasn't a game changer by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, he was. It can be argued that the ball was being forced to him, but yeah. He was.

fontaine
06-04-2010, 01:41 AM
i would wager Royal has a more productive season than Marshall in 2010, whoever starts at QB is better than Cutler and Branson does more for the team at TE/H-Back that Scheff did last season.

What does producing more stats have anything to do with making the kind of game breaking plays that win you football games?

You could target Royal the same number of times in the same situations as we did Marshall last year and yes Royal would come out with a ton of receptions but the difference is Marshall was targetted because he got yards after the catch, broke tackles on his way to first downs, and ran for long TDs.

Royal couldn't do that.

Defenses last year pretty much figured us out. Stack up against the run, put our offense on 3rd down situations and focus on Marshall on those 3rd downs because we had no other player who could consistently move the chains.

It got to the point where defenders were happy to give Marshall the 3/5 yard quick catch by giving him that cushion just so they were in a better position to gang tackle him before he could get to the first down.

I'm not necessarily talking about stats. I'm saying that we lost the number 1 guy we had on this team that could move the chains offensively. Royal/Gaffney simply aren't going to replace that. If they could then it would have happened last year while they were on the team. Royal gets a pass here because he was learning new positions, but what about Gaffney? He's knows the offense and he's NEVER been the go to guy, or move the chains WR before and it's not going to happen now.

BroncoMan4ever
06-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Wishful thinking. That's all it is...

Marshall isn't playing for a new deal anymore and the QB situation in Miami will have him wishing for the good old days of Orton.

Royal is moving to the Wes Welker role in this offense and with that will be targeted a lot and will have better numbers than Marshall because of that.

Scheff is good but isn't as great as so many believed him to be

Cutler is Jeff George 2.0