PDA

View Full Version : CFB Rumor: Boise State to MWC next week.

24champ
06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Dominoes are likely going to fall next week, those of you that follow College Football probably already know the impending expansion plans of certain conferences. The school Presidents of the Mountain West Conference are to meet next week in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on June 6th-8th. Presumably they are going to vote on inviting Boise State into the Mountain West Conference among other things.

The Mountain West presidents will meet June 6-8th in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. In preparation of the event, the Mountain West has contacted local media here in Boise and is providing us with a coordinated effort to cover the meetings.
http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=12558741

Not only that, but seems (judging by recent local articles I've read in Idaho) that the MWC officials have been educating the Boise/Idaho press about the Mountain West TV deals (Mtn, Versus, CBS College Sports etc.) lately.

Again, not a done deal yet. Still need to get 7 of the 9 Presidents to approve. Scheduling, Academics, splitting the revenue one more way are all issues that could be deal breakers. That being said, I put the chances of Boise State joining the Mountain West at 90% since the MWC would benefit from Boise's score for the BCS evaluation period.

Irish Stout
06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
If this happens it would be pretty good for the MWC. Now they just need to figure out how to crack the BCS. Of course having TCU, BYU, Utah, and Boise State remain consistent over the next few years won't hurt.

Hope the Rams and Falcons can find a return to form sooner rather than later.

loborugger
06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
If this happens it would be pretty good for the MWC. Now they just need to figure out how to crack the BCS. Of course having TCU, BYU, Utah, and Boise State remain consistent over the next few years won't hurt.

Hope the Rams and Falcons can find a return to form sooner rather than later.

The Mtn West needs to figure out a way to land Boise State and keep all their solid football teams (BYU, Utah, TCU) as it looks like the Big 12, PAC 10, and maybe even the Big 10 could come to harvest some of the more successful schools. Finally, they need to keep up their solid play against the BCS schools.

RhymesayersDU
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Don't see the benefit for Boise, the MWC is garbage.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Utah to the PX (with CU) and TCU to the BXII

Kaylore
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd love to see us snag Fresno St next. That would be a sweet conference.

Kaylore
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM

We've had more ranked teams consistently than many of the other conferences.

Irish Stout
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Are you suggesting the WAC is the better place to be?

Irish Stout
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM

CU won't go to the Pac 10 (that rumor has been dead for a few months), and Utah likely doesn't carry enough national hype or $ to go either.

24champ
06-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Utah is out of the Pac-10 talks. Those got shut down a while ago, I don't see the Pac-10 expanding now.

I do believe the Big-12 is about to be raided by the Big Ten.

loborugger
06-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Utah is out of the Pac-10 talks. Those got shut down a while ago, I don't see the Pac-10 expanding now.

I do believe the Big-12 is about to be raided by the Big Ten.

If the Big 12 gets raided by the Big 10, that would have a domino effect, right? And wouldnt the teams left in the Big 12 look to pillage some other lesser conference to create something of what is left?

DomCasual
06-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Where is everyone hearing CU to the PAC-10 is dead?

TheChamp24
06-01-2010, 03:05 PM
If the rumors are true that Missouri/any Big 12 school leaves, TCU is probably almost automatically going to join the Big12 I'd imagine.

24champ
06-01-2010, 03:17 PM
If the Big 12 gets raided by the Big 10, that would have a domino effect, right? And wouldnt the teams left in the Big 12 look to pillage some other lesser conference to create something of what is left?

Depends on who is left in the Big12 when the dust settles, if there is a conference left.

theAPAOps5
06-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Light Rail

TerrElway
06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
As a Utah State fan I sure wish they hadn't fiddled while Rome burned about 15 years ago. Two bowl appearances in 3 years then it all went to hell. They are just barely rising above the depths of putridity (barely...we hope) and now the conference landscape may change again.

As to the MWC vs the WAC - they aren't that far apart IMO. MWC more good teams at the top: Utah, BYU and lately TCU. CSU and WYO have teased now and again and after that it is a sh*t pile.

The WAC has Boise (better than any team in the MWC...shut up Ute fans, they are.), then their second tier is larger than MWC with Fresno, Nevada and Hawai'i. After that, they are pretty much on par with the MWC as far as crap ratio goes.

If BSU joins the MWC they will screw themselves as far as a national championship bid goes. You don't win AT Boise, TCU or BYU (you MIGHT win at Utah but slim chance) and all those teams would pick each other off until you had a bunch of one and 2 win conference champs on the outside looking in at a BCS title game.

Irish Stout
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Word from Boulder is that CU is so cash strapped they wouldn't be able to afford a buy-out from the big 12 to move to the Pac 10.

Master___Pain
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Anyone who says that CU to the PX is dead is wrong.

bombay
06-01-2010, 04:07 PM
The MWC is only better than the BCS teams they routinely hammer in bowl games.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-01-2010, 05:02 PM

This. It's going to happen eventually.

Bronco Boy
06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
If this happens, CU should take over Boise's spot in the WAC. Maybe then they can get in a bowl game someday.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-01-2010, 05:13 PM
If this happens, CU should take over Boise's spot in the WAC. Maybe then they can get in a bowl game someday.

Yeah, that '07 season is ancient history, and add in their 4 North titles and 1 Big XII title in the past decade and I don't even understand why they field a football team anymore.

But dynamite contribution to the thread.

Elway's Pigeon Toes
06-01-2010, 05:25 PM

This.

Hercules and Master Pain know what they are talking about.

FADERPROOF
06-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Boise needs to jump to MWC, them vs TCU would be great for the regular season. And I also think that the Big 10 is looking the wrong way for expansion, going west to Missouri, Notre Dame, Nebraska, or Texas will be tough to grab. Big 10 needs to head East and raid the Big East of WVU, Pitt, Cincy, or Rutgers instead.

If MWC gets Boise state and Big 10 can grab a team or two from the Big East, we could see the automatic BCS bid change conferences hands right there.

Steve Sewell
06-01-2010, 05:49 PM
CU is a perfect fit for the Pac 10 in the only area that matters: the Denver television market.

Not to mention a plethora of other areas such as academic standards, research funding, alumni demographics, etc.

Bronco Boy
06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that '07 season is ancient history, and add in their 4 North titles and 1 Big XII title in the past decade and I don't even understand why they field a football team anymore.

But dynamite contribution to the thread.

None of those things you mentioned are really worth bragging about, especially considering they were accomplished by a different coaching staff. Didn't they lose to a AA team more recently?

broncocalijohn
06-01-2010, 07:52 PM

and you think the WAC is better? MWC seems more to their liking. While Football is key, a place like Pac 10 would use Boise State like a step child on most other sports.

Elway's Pigeon Toes
06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
None of those things you mentioned are really worth bragging about, especially considering they were accomplished by a different coaching staff. Didn't they lose to a AA team more recently?

Huh? The 2007 bowl game was coached by Dan Hawkins as he showed up in Boulder in December of 2005.

RhymesayersDU
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
and you think the WAC is better? MWC seems more to their liking. While Football is key, a place like Pac 10 would use Boise State like a step child on most other sports.

I know a couple people above you posted this statement.

I mean... Living in Albuquerque, I get the Lobos shoved down my throat. And maybe I'm overly hard on the MWC... But I just feel like BSU has a good thing going, and I think the MWC isn't a step up. A lateral move if anything.

I mean, I know we've got teams in the top 25, etc... But I just think that if BSU is going to move, they should move to a conference that they aren't the best in. They should move to the Pac 10 or whatever, somewhere where they move up in competition. I think this is lateral at best.

Bronco Boy
06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Huh? The 2007 bowl game was coached by Dan Hawkins as he showed up in Boulder in December of 2005.

My bad. I guess 6-7 is something to be proud about for CU these days.

24champ
06-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I know a couple people above you posted this statement.

I mean... Living in Albuquerque, I get the Lobos shoved down my throat. And maybe I'm overly hard on the MWC... But I just feel like BSU has a good thing going, and I think the MWC isn't a step up. A lateral move if anything.

I mean, I know we've got teams in the top 25, etc... But I just think that if BSU is going to move, they should move to a conference that they aren't the best in. They should move to the Pac 10 or whatever, somewhere where they move up in competition. I think this is lateral at best.

It's been Boise's intention to play in the Mountain West for quite some time.

As said from Kustra, the President of Boise State.

JANUARY 2004

After TCU was invited as the ninth member, Kustra promised to pursue the Mountain West in the coming years.

"Whatever we do to improve the program, we'll be notifying them as it happens," he said.

Back then, Boise State had a $12.5 million budget - $10 million less than the Mountain West average. The Broncos also played in 30,000-seat Bronco Stadium with its antiquated press box and no premium seating.

Today, Boise State has a $25.8 million budget and plays in a 33,500-seat Bronco Stadium that features the $37.5 million Stueckle Sky Center.

DECEMBER 2005

Kustra hired Chris Petersen as his football coach and established some lofty goals at the press conference.

"The dream for me is national rankings, the dream for me is someday another conference, the dream for me is busting the (Bowl Championship Series).

"Chris Petersen can get all those things done for the Boise State University Broncos."

Petersen has produced three teams that finished the season in the top 11 in the national rankings.

He has busted the BCS twice - and he might just push the Broncos into the Mountain West.

SEPTEMBER 2007

Kustra told the Statesman that he sent a letter to the Mountain West presidents, updating them on the school's progress.

Only one - BYU's Cecil Samuelson - responded.

"If we go to the Mountain West, I want to go because I got a phone call or two from prominent presidents, not because I'm groveling to get in."

NOVEMBER 2009

Kustra again made it clear that he sees the Mountain West as the future home of Broncos athletics. The league's footprint runs from San Diego to Laramie, Wyo., to Fort Worth, Texas. Five teams are within reasonable drives of the Salt Lake City and Denver airports.

The WAC has teams in Louisiana and Hawaii. Student athletes and coaches "deserve a better traveling schedule than the one we have now," Kustra said.

Kustra is friendly with several Mountain West presidents and joined forces with the conference in its attack on the BCS. In November he said that he hadn't talked with the presidents about expansion "for quite a while."

He also figured he didn't need to tell them much.

"The Mountain West knows for sure who we are today," he said.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/05/23/1203366/will-boise-state-play-in-a-bigger.html#ixzz0pfweiX40

So obviously, they've wanted to get out of the WAC for a while, so does Fresno State and the rest. WAC is run by poor leaders, and has been for a long time.