PDA

View Full Version : Brian Westbrook Decision Coming Soon — Rams, Redskins or Broncos

oubronco
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Brian Westbrook Decision Coming Soon — Rams, Redskins or Broncos

By Chuck Carroll
Football News Now Staff Writer
June 1, 2010

Brian Westbrook could wind up in Washington, Denver or St. Louis.
Former Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook is still without a home in the NFL and training camps will be opening their doors soon.

Last week it was reported that Westbrook was going to make a decision. That didn’t happen. Now, there are more rumblings that a decision is imminent.

The 30-year-old back is expected to make his decision soon according to Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network.

There are three teams believed to be in the running — the St. Louis Rams, Washington Redskins and Denver Broncos.

While he could be a good fit in St. Louis playing behind Steven Jackson, don’t discount the Broncos who already have a pair of former Eagles in their backfield in Correll Buckhalter and Brian Dawkins.

We maintain that the Redskins are likely the third choice in the scenario due to their already crowed veteran backfield.

So what do you guys and gals think is he coming to Denver?

bowtown
06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm just surprised that we converted Dawkins to RB. He seems too old for that.

oubronco
06-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I had a chuckle when I saw that :~ohyah!:

azbroncfan
06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
He would be a good bandaid fit here in Denver for a year on 3rd downs.

oubronco
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
He does run the screens better than any other RB IMO

gyldenlove
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Technically it just says backfield and Dawkins is in the defensive backfield.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign, I think he would be a good flex player and I think he could easily take the 3rd RB spot.

Bronco Boy
06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
This story is like a week old.

bowtown
06-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Technically it just says backfield and Dawkins is in the defensive backfield.

Should have been plural then.

TheReverend
06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Washington is my bet

Baba Booey
06-01-2010, 12:01 PM
He'd still be a great option out of the backfield and on third downs.

tsiguy96
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
st louis is the most logical spot, but mcdaniels doesnt seem to lose out on players he wants.

TheReverend
06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
st louis is the most logical spot, but mcdaniels doesnt seem to lose out on players he wants.

:spit:

Never heard of Dan Snyder, have you?

titan
06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
From Peter King of SI on twitter:

"I don't expect Denver to sign Brian Westbrook. about 22 hours ago (http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/15136237737) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) "

hope he's wrong

broncosteven
06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
This reminds me of Garrison Hearst.

Kaylore
06-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Rams: There's not much here they can offer except more money. I suppose that's something but he likely is at a point in his career where he wants to win a ring.

Broncos: Better than the Rams. We can do the money thing too. We're closer than the Rams by a long shot, but likely a few years away. It depends on how much he likes the other things (staff, players, environment, city.) I'm going to laugh if we sign him, because it will make that "no one wants to sign with the Broncos" crap people were spewing even more stupid.

Redskins: This seems more likely as he gets to play with his old QB, gets a prestigious coach, doesn't have to move as far, and they'll throw the money at him like they usually do. Not to mention he would get to play the Redskins twice a year. That has to count for something. I don't think they are any closer to a SB than we are, but I do think the other factors would suggest this the best place for him.

robbieopperude
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Would be good for us on 3rd downs. Could teach Moreno a thing or too. When healthy he is still dangerous. I don't think he has lost as many steps as LT has.

FireFly
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I doubt Shanny even wants him! Just trying to screw with McDaniels and the Broncos!!!

:O

tsiguy96
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
:spit:

Never heard of Dan Snyder, have you?

im not talking about him overpaying, but if you follow the free agency, it seems every person that mcdaniels really wants on thsi team, he gets. he pays what it takes but doesnt pay absolutely enormous amounts either.

FireFly
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
This reminds me of Garrison Hearst.

Well, he made a contribution... however slight

bowtown
06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I doubt Shanny even wants him! Just trying to copy McDaniels and the Broncos!!!

:O

Fixed it.

Popps
06-01-2010, 07:44 PM
If he's got anything left, this would be fantastic.

Hoping it happens.

TheReverend
06-01-2010, 07:51 PM
im not talking about him overpaying, but if you follow the free agency, it seems every person that mcdaniels really wants on thsi team, he gets. he pays what it takes but doesnt pay absolutely enormous amounts either.

That's well and good for the system fit, role player FAs that we've targeted and gotten.

But I can't remember the last time Dan Snyder wanted someone and didn't get him. Courtney Brown maybe?

UberBroncoMan
06-01-2010, 09:34 PM
That's well and good for the system fit, role player FAs that we've targeted and gotten.

But I can't remember the last time Dan Snyder wanted someone and didn't get him. Courtney Brown maybe?

People are forgetting that Westbrook was born in and is from Washington D.C. It would be going home for him.

I have the Rams as 3rd place for me. ****ty team. No chance of a ring there. In Denver we have him and Buck alternating, and if one gets injured the other takes the 1/2 load since Knowshon has the rest. Washington is just as far away as we are from a ring.

Broncos4Life
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
The best part for going to the Redskins is he also gets to play them twice a year......

Kaylore
06-02-2010, 06:53 AM
The best part for going to the Redskins is he also gets to play them twice a year......

Yeah I just saw that. I meant to say Eagles. Players do like to stick it to the teams that cut them.

Hogan11
06-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Well, he made a contribution... however slight

A slight contribution is about all I expect out of Westbrook if he does come here. He's a luxury, not a necessity and should be paid as such if he does end up in a Broncos uniform.

TonyR
06-02-2010, 08:26 AM
I think Westbrook might be washed up or I don't see why the Eagles wouldn't have at least made him a token offer. He was having trouble staying healthy as it was and then he had major concussion problems last season. The Eagles don't have much depth behind McCoy but chose to sign Mike Bell instead of keeping one of their most popular remaining players.

That being said, if he has anything left and can be had for cheap I'd be mildly interested. Not sure how he fits into that already crowded backfield in D.C. What a collection of washed up RB's they'd have. Portis, Johnson, Parker, Westbrook.

Kaylore
06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I think Westbrook might be washed up or I don't see why the Eagles wouldn't have at least made him a token offer.

They might just be ready to do a full reboot and are jettisoning all their players from that older era (Dawkins, Westbrook, McNabb). I really think they just want to start over.

broncosteven
06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah I just saw that. I meant to say Eagles. Players do like to stick it to the teams that cut them.

Chad Mustard must really hate the Broncos.

pink_feet
06-02-2010, 02:48 PM
He does run the screens better than any other RB IMO

What about Sproles? I think he is the best screen catching/running RB right now. Remember what he has done to us?

broncosteven
06-02-2010, 03:28 PM
They might just be ready to do a full reboot and are jettisoning all their players from that older era (Dawkins, Westbrook, McNabb). I really think they just want to start over.

They should have started with Reid then.

tsiguy96
06-02-2010, 03:57 PM

absolutely.

TheReverend
06-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Disagree. He kept that team very competitive with the minimal spending Jeff Lurie was providing him with for a long, long time.

Dedhed
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I think Westbrook might be washed up or I don't see why the Eagles wouldn't have at least made him a token offer. He was having trouble staying healthy as it was and then he had major concussion problems last season. The Eagles don't have much depth behind McCoy but chose to sign Mike Bell instead of keeping one of their most popular remaining players.

That being said, if he has anything left and can be had for cheap I'd be mildly interested. Not sure how he fits into that already crowded backfield in D.C. What a collection of washed up RB's they'd have. Portis, Johnson, Parker, Westbrook.Couldn't you make that exact argument for Dawkins?

TonyR
06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Couldn't you make that exact argument for Dawkins?

No, the Eagles had more interest in keeping Dawkins than Westbrook but weren't willing to pay what Denver did. And Dawkins doesn't have the injury/concussion problems that Westbrook had/has. Nobody doubted that Dawkins could still play whereas there are doubts about Westbrook. It was thought last season that his concussions were very possilby career ending.

Dedhed
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Nobody doubted that Dawkins could still play

I think Philadelphia had plenty of doubts.

Drek
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
No, the Eagles had more interest in keeping Dawkins than Westbrook but weren't willing to pay what Denver did. And Dawkins doesn't have the injury/concussion problems that Westbrook had/has. Nobody doubted that Dawkins could still play whereas there are doubts about Westbrook. It was thought last season that his concussions were very possilby career ending.

1. they offered Dawkins a one year deal for slightly more than the vet minimum for his tenure.

2. their where MANY who questioned if Dawkins could still play.

The Eagles also traded their franchise QB within the division, for just a 2nd round pick. As of now there is only a handful of guys on that entire team over 30. They've gone youth very hard and let go of all older players as their deals or expired or this year when they can avoid all cap ramifications.

broncosteven
06-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Disagree. He kept that team very competitive with the minimal spending Jeff Lurie was providing him with for a long, long time.

I agree with you disagreeing but the best way to reboot is to start with the HC.

I would rather have a proven guy over a young possibly next great HC. They are close to doing a total rebuild over there though.

Will be interesting to watch the NFC this year.

ColoradoBuff
06-03-2010, 07:38 AM
caught a report on Sportscenter last nite saying it's between the Redskins and Rams.

TonyR
06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
2. their where MANY who questioned if Dawkins could still play.

I think there was and is some legit questions about his abilities in coverage and space but clearly he could/can still play. So I disagree. He couldn't play at the same level he did in his prime, but he could still play. He was very effective for Philly down the stretch his final season there, and I think he actually won the NFC Defense Player of the month in December that year, but he did struggle in their NFC CG loss to Arizona along with most of the defense. And he would have started over the crap they had at the position last season, and they're struggling again this year to fill the position.